Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diene_gw

UPDATE: Birthday Month Exchange- May- diene

diene
17 years ago

Hello All;

I just sent what I hope is final list of addresses for this swap. Welcome to our new members and as you can see I moved myself to May. Now the hard part, what I like. I love chocolate & coffee (black). I buy most of my furniture in junk shops and yard sales and refinish it myself. I am an independent consultant for skin care and wellness line that prides itself on pure, safe and beneficial so I only use my products. I know that is not helpful as everyone loves to send nice smelly stuff but my skin is rather sensitive and that stuff does a number on me. I have just moved to a new home and sold my old one so things are rather hectic. I have also recently become engaged to a wonderful man so life is good. I have lots of perennials which I do very well with. I am very bad with seeds so if someone can give me pointers on how to grow from seeds, I would be eternally grateful. I could always find homes for shade plants and would love something that also does not mind getting it's feet wet as I have a small stream (it is really stormwater runoff but one can pretend) on the side of the house in a wooded area. Kelley promised me an original piece of art which would be great (no pressure). Truthfully, opening up anything is fun all by itself, please send something about where you are from (notecards, postcards, a free map from the C of C). I send shells quite frequently as I can walk to the beach from my house and they are just laying around for the taking. Have fun with this, do not make it a chore. I love presents!! diene

Comments (38)

• amybabyboy3
    17 years ago

Hi Diene,
    Just wanted to wish you a very Happy Birthday. I will be working on your box of goodies and appreciate the info. Hope you have a Wonderful Month!! Take care, Amy

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Diene,
    I mailed your package out today! USPS/0305 0830 0002 4993 5175. I hope you enjoy everything in your box!

• diene
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello All:
    I am concerned because we have not heard from Kelley in a while. I know she was traveling but I miss her. Are you home now Kelley? How was your trip? Keep smiling. diene

• wynative
    17 years ago

Good morning Diene,

Your presents are on their way ~ conformation #0305-0830-0004-0712-3567.

Enjoy your month & Happy Birthday!
    Marie

• ladyblues1965
    17 years ago

Diene,
    sorry I must have missed this post! I am here and I am doing great !! had a great show and have just been workin my tail off in the yard and digging plants out of the woods I want to cultivate in my garden .Ps ......... I will have your gift done by the end of the month LOL I bet ya dont have a clue what it will be huh?
    Kelley

• diene
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello Kelley;
    Welcome back!! I missed you. Do not stress about whether you have my big surprise gift ready by the end of the month or not, you can take all the time you need as my real birthday is not until December.
    Not sure what the weather is like in other parts of the world but we had a warm and sunny April and have not seen the sun since May started. We really need the rain but it is very depressing. I have plenty of inside work to do since I just moved but I hate housework. I love to play in the dirt and until the house has tons of dirt, I do not like to play in it. Have a wonderful day to all. diene

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Diene,
    I can't imagine why the box is taking so long to arrive? I mailed it on Thursday, by priority and it didn't arrive yet? I checked the delivery confirmation number and it only shows I dropped it off (in transit). I included live plants in the box. I hope they make it! I've never had a box take more than two (three at the most) sent by priority.

I hope everything arrives in good shape! I'm a little worried!

• diene
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello Deb;
    I have had this happen before and it usually does not end well but the post office is unapologetic and usually will try to blame either you or me. I think you should request your money back as it definitely did not meet their "priority" criteria. I, on the other hand, will just wait for it to show up. Plants are pretty hardy so we will keep our fingers crossed. It is curious where the box is, could it still be on the floor in the back room of your post office? Or is it sitting on the floor of the van my postal person uses? Or is it on a world tour? One can only wonder. Thanks for the effort, that is what counts. Do not lose any sleep over it but I would be asking for my money back. Have a great week. Thanks. diene

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Diene,
    I checked again and it arrived at your post office at 5:50 AM! Hopefully, it will be delivered to you today.

Deb

• diene
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello Deb;
    It was here when I arrived home tonight, thanks for everything. The daylilies look tired but not dead, the dahlia should be fine, I have no idea what to do with the cactus, can you help?
    Aside from all these wonderful plants, I received a beautiful magazine that has great gardening ideas and a wind chime. Then there was the nightlight with a floral motiff, I have never seen anything that detailed. Finally, Deb remembered our feathered friends, a suet cage and wonderful citrus suet to attract songbirds. That is going to require some strategic planning as we have a killer cat who can climb.
    Thanks for all the stuff, it was lots of fun and the post office was not able to ruin your gift. diene

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Diene,
    I would soak the daylilies before planting, hopefully plumping them up enough to plant. Do you have some superthrive to add to the water? I always have a bottle on hand for stressed plants, it works well for transplanting shock too.

The cactus need to be planted in cactus soil/sandy mix.
    Place the babies directly on the soil--dig them in just a little, they form roots really quickly. Make sure that your using a pot that has drainage holes. Cactus love full sun! Cactus are the only plants that love neglect. Some greenhouses carry "Cactus juice" a special fertilizer. I use it once in a while, they seem to love it. Don't overwater them.

Deb

• diene
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello Marie;
    I know I confused you when I joined your fairy/gnome for children. My wonderful birthday box went to my niece which was fine because she was waiting for a box from the other swap. Unfortunately, she is not a big fan of coffee and some of the other wonderful things you sent. She did not understand why she was getting a map of Wyoming and then the birthday card really confused her. The great thing about it is I told her that you confused boxes and I had her box which I then sent on to her today. She is also going to ship my box but your confusion saved a disappointed child and made a great story. Thank you, thank you!!! diene

• kellyinflorida
    17 years ago

Hi Diene,
    I signed up for this a few days ago and sent in my info but haven't heard anything back. I am taking October. Could you email me with your address or maybe double check to make sure I am in for this month?
    Thanks,
    Kelly

• kellyinflorida
    17 years ago

Sorry Diene,
    I did sign up for a bday swap *but* I guess it was another one. I apologize for any confusion.

Kelly

But if you do need an October person, I'm your girl!

• wynative
    17 years ago

Diene - I am so sorry about the mix up! I didn't recieve an address for you so thought that I could use the one from my robin (embarrassed!) Guess I should have checked.
    But I am glad that it is working out!

Have a great month!
    Marie

• diene
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello Marie;
    Thanks for the thoughts that is the most important part of this and it really was a good mistake as children are more important than adults in my mind. Thanks. diene

• amybabyboy3
    17 years ago

Diene, Your package went out today. I hope you enjoy what I sent. Take care, Amy

• diene
    Original Author
    17 years ago

"Antiques, Wine & Friends" 'More Precious as Time Goes By' That was the message on the emery board Amy sent. That was only the beginning. I have a beautiful garden flag, a plant stake that was too pretty to use outside so I put it in a struggling plant in my bay window. Then there is the cocoa, not a basic but a fancy French Vanilla. She also sent maps of her part of the world which I have not had a chance to look through. Next were a bunch of cards with beautiful flowers, herbs and vegetables with pictures and care instructions.
    Finally, there was a very unique handbag, I wondered where you would get something like that and then it hit me, I think she made it. Did you Amy? It does not look homemade but I can't imagine what it would cost in a store, way too much to include in a birthday exchange.
    Suffice to say, I am ecstatic!! Thank you Amy.

• amybabyboy3
    17 years ago

Kathleen, Im so happy your box arrived safely, I did make the purse and hope you enjoy. Have a wonderful month. Your garden pal, Amy

• snyder
    17 years ago

Your box was sent today. Conf# is 0302 2940 0002 0654 3477 Ann

• diene
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello All;
    Just a note, there really is no need for spending the money for delivery confirmation as it means nothing to the post office. I will leave that up to your discretion but from my experience both as a shipper and receiver it has no value just cost. Thanks for the package Ann, it is so exciting just knowing something is in the mail. That must be the little girl in me. Have a great weekend all. diene

• RainbowLake
    17 years ago

Diene,
    I am just getting back from vacation. I plan to put your box in the mail Monday.
    Karen

Happy Mother's day to everyone!

• diene
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello Ann;
    I arrived home today and there was this wonderful box. It had chocolate, and more chocolate and then a beautiful wind chime, a lovely plant stake sculpted to look like a bird, a intricately designed ceramic picture frame with bears, gladiola (sp?) bulbs, tulips, a black eyed susan growing kit (for the seed challenged). Some peat plugs, a fortune telling plant, irish cream creamer for my coffee. Did I mention chocolate? There were several different varieties. Then there was the scented soap (tulip). I am sure there were a few more things but my mind cannot retain all of them and I have already walked up and down the stairs twice. Suffice to say, it was lots of fun. The finale was that it was wrapped in newspaper partly the classified section. It had many listings for heavy equipment which you will never see around here. What fun it was to read that even though I had no idea what half of the stuff was or did. Thanks Ann, this is way too much fun. diene

• RainbowLake
    17 years ago

Diene,
    I got tied up yesterday and didn't get your box off in the mail until today. Are you getting some of the rain that is hitting the East Coast? And what in the world in a fortune telling plant?

Karen

• diene
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello Karen;
    Yes I am right in the middle of the rain belt but the sun has finally come out today. Most of my appointments on Monday and Tuesday had to be cancelled because "you can't get there from here" was very much alive and well. One town nearby had all roads but two closed. The rain stopped last night and they say the rivers and streams are subsiding so people are hoping to start drying out today. I had a furniture delivery early yesterday that was not so early because of bad roads. The guys that came laughed because our boat is in the driveway really getting ready for the season but they asked if we were preparing for the flood. I live in a tourist area and with Memorial Day right around the corner it was pretty bad for alot of the little shop owners. The good news is no one died so who really cares about a little bit of water, we are used to weather challenges in this part of the world.
    As far as a fortune telling plant, I have never seen anything like it and have not started it yet as it needed sunlight and we have not had any for over a week. Anyways, it looks like a small soda can but it houses a plant and soil and when you start it, it supposedly will display your fortune on the side of the can. I will let you all know when I get my fortune. I may start it today as they have promised some sun both today and tomorrow.
    I am very excited about my new box, boy is this fun. I love getting all these neat things and the info from other parts of the world. How are things in Oklahoma? Have a wonderful day. diene

• gardnwatch
    17 years ago

Diene,
    I did send your package out Tuesday..so if the mailman and his truck have not been washed down the road.. your package should reach you in another day or two.
    I'm glad to hear the water has begun to subside a bit...
    Have a nice weekend....
    Bonnie

• diene
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello Bonnie & Karen;
    It was so exciting coming home today and having not one box but two. I was amazed and pleased!! They could have had nothing in them but then when I opened them up they had very different things and lots of fun!! First you both sent cards for my fake birthday. I was sad when I first decided to change my month to keep this robin running but I was thrilled today!! I would love to have a May birthday. I took the plants out and planted them which I could never do in December. Then I ate some of the chocolate, then I hung the beautiful ceramic wall hanging that Bonnie sent on a wall in my upstairs hall. I had removed something ugly when I move in last month and had not found the right thing to replace it until today.
    Karen sent beautiful irises, she apologized for not knowing the name. Do not worry about that as I would never remember them anyways. I have bought fancy lilies, irises, peonies, etc... and never remember the names, I just love the flowers. These are blue which sounds really neat. I planted them right in the front of the driveway and I will try and remember to post a picture (if someone will help me) when they bloom. She also sent some beautiful lilies and a cosmos kit for the seed challenged. I will be embarassed if these do not bloom. While I was out planting today (the rain has finally stopped at least until tomorrow)I thought how great it was to be planting gifts from new friends. Thank you both very much for the gifts and plants, it made my day very special. I will think of you whenever I look at the wonderful things you sent. Your generosity humbles me. Thanks. diene

• october17
    17 years ago

I'm sending your box today! I'm sorry it's so end-of-the-month! I'll be sending it US Mail. Sounds like you've had a great month!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

• PlantladyJan
    17 years ago

Hi Diene
    It looks like you will be getting 2 end of the month packages as I am just mailing your package. I am glad you have been enjoying your special month!
    I thought since I was the June birthday I would mention some plants I would like to have.
    Seeds:
    Sunflowers: Lemon Aura, Teddy Bear
    Castor beans: any color
    Plants
    Black bamboo
    Bowles golden grass
    Variegated dwarf bamboo
    Lirope Pee Dee Gold Ingst
    Hellebores
    Heuhera Coral Bells: Stoplight
    Brunnera Looking Glass and Jack Frost. hadspen cream
    Phlox: Nicky
    Sedum: Bon Bon, Samuel Oliphant, Black Jack
    Yucca: Color guard
    Shasta dasiy Yellow
    Echinacea Sunrise, orange, rassmatazz
    Herbs: Really want Lemon verbena, black and blue sage, spilanthes, blood veined sorrel, stevia
    I live on 10 acres and have lots of room for plants. I have landscaped 3 acres so far.
    I don't mean to come across demanding as I'm not I just have a lot of plants and if possible would like to try something new.
    I also like dahilas and cannas. I tried them for the first time last year and really enjoyed the results.
    I enjoy home made soaps and bath salts.
    I collect Siberain husky stuff. I laid mine to rest this past Jan. after 14 years of friendship. Miss him so!
    Oh almost forgot I am also looking for sum and substance hosta. I have several but for some reason that one happens to be the deer's favorite! I will put it in a fenced area next time!
    I enjoy doing scrapbooks so any supplies would be a welcomed site.
    I also like terra cotta plant markers.
    Anything Nascar with #12! Big Ryan fan!!!
    Anything related to herbs~
    I also welcome any books on herbs or gardening in general and used is good.
    Gosh I didn't mean to write a book but today I have some time and I wanted to get my GW stuff caught up!
    Fav. colors: olive green and purple.
    Ok back to Diene as it is still her month!!

• ladyblues1965
    17 years ago

Diene,
    Just wanted to let you know I will have your box out to you on tuesday. I will be gone this weekend and monday is a holiday SOOOOOO it wil;l have to be tuesday.
    hope your having fun!!!
    Kelley

• diene
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello Kelley;
    You must be very busy as we have not heard a word from you all month. Do not worry about the box, you really have six months until my birthday but of course you need to do this for more people each month. This has been fun, I am glad to hear from you and that you are well. Enjoy the weekend. diene

• ladyblues1965
    17 years ago

hey diene.
    I need to know if you are the dec person on the original list. I cannot find the updated list and there is no gw names on the list I have lol sooooo I am lost once again. please let me know asap the mail runs about 11 am and I would like to get this out to you today instead of tuesday.
    I have been sooo busy,I am working a job now and it is killing me LOL I havent worked in 3 years ,not a real job anyway. With the travel and the job I havent had much spare time.
    thanks Kelley

• diene
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello All;
    I received two packages yesterday but did not get the chance to play with either until today. Jan sent a bunch of gladiola bulbs in really exotic colors. I love glads but did not used to plant them because they are not hardy here and need to be dug up in the fall which I do, but they never survive the winter. I know that is my fault but it is still frustrating. But I digress, my new beau loves gladioulas and has been bugging me to plant them. What I want to know is did he contact you Jan? Well they went in the ground today and I can't wait for them to bloom. Then there was the gel notebook, really neat and unusual and also a wonderful windchime. I am embarassed to say that I believe there were more things in both of these packages but I opened them late last night and put the food stuff away and can't remember all that was in them. I think there was some chocolate and coffee things but my mind is like scrambled eggs today.
    Ellie sent some neat plants, gardening gloves and once again, who knows what else. I planted everything today and I am very excited about the obedient plant. I do not have one and thought I should so it was a great addition to my gardens. Then the Artemisia (which I cannot even pronounce) is going to be wonderful when I put my flowers together in vases this year.
    Both sent wonderful notes which is the greatest part of this and I wish we were all closer so we could get together.
    For those of you who have not yet had their "birthday month", it is a great thing. The boxes come when they feel like it and they have all kinds of things from all over the country. It is funny how excited I get about these thoughtful gifts. Thank you all for the wonderful month. I wish I was a May person to have this happen every year.
    I sent Jan's info to everyone, if there is anyone who did not get it, let me know. I hope you have half as much fun as I did Jan, and thank you for your gifts.
    Likewise Ellie, I appreciate you sharing your plants and I really needed more gloves (the color is the latest fashion, isn't it? ) Thanks to all. diene

• october17
    17 years ago

Hi birthday girl!

Hey, I'm sorry, I was a little late shipping your box. You may receive it today, maybe yesterday?

Anyway, I didn't send you any plants or gloves! That one is from someone else!

I sent your box US Mail, so I can't track it! Hope you get/got it!

• diene
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello Ellie & Kelley;
    I received your boxes and they were great. I have no idea who I received the lovely box with the gloves and plants from but I will go back and try to figure it out. I feel like such a flake and I am not. I promise!!
    Thanks a bundle Ellie for the trick to starting seeds, now lets just see if I can handle it. This does seem like it should work but time will tell.
    Kelley, you went crazy on my gifts, no wonder you have no money left for shipping!! I received all I wanted with an absolutely amazing picture of some Irises that look real enough to pick. Then she sent some beautiful scented candles and earrings. Finally I have my very own Big Red T-shirt and CD. I am so impressed with your talent Kelley. I am not able to draw a straight line and I cannot carry a tune in a basket. I am dumbfounded by your abilities. Thanks for a wonderful month now it is Jan's turn. And to the wonderful person who sent the plants and gloves. Thanks, please let me know who I overlooked. Happy summer to all. diene

• ladyblues1965
    17 years ago

Glad you liked your box! the extras are for helping me finish this robin. :0) I am working now so time is limited ,so I was concerned I wouldnt get you pic done before the month was up LOL but I did.so now I am happy.
    ok off to work I go
    Have a great Day and thanks for the help
    Kelley

• PlantladyJan
    17 years ago

I sent the gloves and the plants! I am glad to hear that you can use them!! It sounds like you had a wonderful month. I am looking forward to my month....I have received a box and will post soon thanks!

• diene
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello Jan;
    Thanks for the gifts and I apologize for not paying enough attention. Getting two boxes in one day brings out the child in all of us and after the wrapping paper is strewn all over the place one is hard pressed to remember what was what in the frenzy of opening gifts. I became that child. Thanks. diene