Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncgardengirl_gw

UPDATE: 100 Limit Plant Swap

ncgardengirl
15 years ago

100 Limit Plant Trade

This swap will be for up 100 plants( or plantlets). You will receive back the number of plants you send in. This will be based on what is sent in. I will NOT do a post and request. I WILL however allow you to post

what you will be sending in. From this list a person can send a list along with their plants requesting these plants. From this list you will make a wish/would like to have these plants. There are NO GAURANTEES YOU WILL GET ALL PLANTS ASKED FOR, THIS WILL DEPEND ON THE NUMBER SENT IN AND HOW MANY PEOPLE TOTAL ASK FOR THE PLANT.

The items sent in can be BULBS, RHIZOMES, CORM'S, SEEDLINGS at least 6 inches tall and NOT LEGGY ONES AND MUST BE AT LEAST 6 INCH TALL Or You may send in Plants in general.

***NO ANNUALS*** (ONLY WITH EXCEPTIONS: YOU MAY LIST THEM IF THEY ARE REQUESTED YOU MAY SEND THEM IN) PERENNIALS ONLY. You are paying for shipping so the return must be worth the cost or it is no fun so this is the reason for NOT sending in annuals, please read note below concerning ANNUALS!!!

So come on grow out those Winter Sown Extras You have and join in on the FUN!

GUIDE LINES TO FOLLOW:

1. YOU MUST SEND HEALTHY PLANTS OR PLANT MATERIAL!

2. The plants you include must be at least 6 inches tall and NOT LEGGY STARTS! They must be something you would see at a nursery or plant dealer! BULBS, RHIZOMES, CORM'S, SEEDLINGS at least 6 inches tall (and NOT LEGGY ones) and of course PLANTS are all welcomed.

3. Please send in a limit of 10 on any one variety! No more then 10 copies from one person will be allowed anything else will be considered EXTRAS and used as such! If you have different types of Tulips you

may send up to 10 red, 10 yellow but only 10 of one variety of color.

1. MAXIMUM ALLOWED TO SEND IN IS 100 TOTAL! ONLY 100 items will be allowed from any one person if you send in more than 100 in total it will be considered EXTRAS ONLY! You will only receive back up to 100 plants.

2. You will be allowed to request as many as 10 of the same plant NO MORE! NO REQUESTING IN THE THREADPLEASE NOTE THAT ALTHOUGH YOU CAN REQUEST PLANTS YOU MAY NOT RECEIVE ALL OF THEM. HOWEVER, if there are only

10 of one item and many people request these plants you will receive the number of plants available after everyone who request it receives some too. If 5 people request you will receive 2 each. If 10 people request that particular

plant you will only receive 1!

3. PLEASE POST A LIST OF THE PLANTS YOU WILL BE SENDING IN. THEN PLEASE CHECK THE LISTS OF PEOPLE'S POST OF WHAT THEY ARE SENDING....THEN ADD A LIST OF "WISHES" TO YOUR BOX. I WILL DO MY BEST TO HONOR YOUR WISHES. NO POSTING OR EMAILING REQUESTS. YOU WILL RECEIVE AN EMAIL FROM gardeningmom2 with ALL OF THE AVAILABLE PLANTS YOU WILL

CHOSE FROM THIS LIST. PLEASE INCLUDE A FEW EXTRA IN CASE THE FIRST ONES YOU REQUESTED ARE GONE.

4. YOU MUST MAIL IN A LIST OF THE PLANTS YOU SEND IN AND OF THE PLANTS YOU WOULD LIKE TO RECEIVE FROM THE POSTED LIST! IF YOU CHOSE NOT TO MAIL A LIST EITHER PRINTED FROM YOUR PRINTER OR HAND WRITTEN YOU CAN INCLUDE .30 extra cents and I will print your list for you, in this case you CAN EMAIL YOUR LIST BUT ONLY IF YOU INCLUDE THE .30 cents extra to cover the cost of my INK AND PAPER, this stuff isnÂt cheap!

5. YOU MUST TAG ALL PLANTS SENT IN. SO I CAN IDENTIFY THEM. Also PLEASE include your GW ID on the plants mailed in so people can email you with questions if they need to!

6. ALL BOXES SHIPPED TO ME MUST BE POSTMARKED FROM MAY 23rd ÂMAY 28TH ANYTHING PAST THIS DATE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED! NO EXCEPTIONS! YOU MUST MAIL PRIORITY MAIL!!!! (DO NOT MAIL TO ME BEFORE MAY 23rd!)

1. You must include a shipping label for the return. You MUST INCLUDE ENOUGH POSTAGE TO GET YOUR PACKAGE BACK TO YOU, and maybe a little extra just in case you have a larger box coming back to you then what

you mailed in. PLUS $.75 to cover the cost of the Delivery Conformation # on the return back to you.

2. NO PRIVATE TRADES!!! Plants sent in must be for the whole group!

3. Please include a few extras of each plant you send in to cover any plants that may not make it in transit. IF all the plants make it the extras will be used for Prizes in Games that will be played.

4. Please make sure your email address is open or available for me to contact you. I can not contact you for swap purposes if your email is not available and no one else on GW can either for that matter.

PLEASE HAVE A CONTACT EMAIL AVAILABLE!

5. MAKE SURE YOU ALSO PLACE YOUR RETURN POSTAGE AND RETURN MAILING LABEL IN A ZIPLOCK BAGGY AS WELL SO THEY DO NOT: 1. GET WET 2.

GET MESSED UP IN THE BOX! PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO LABEL YOUR PLANTS AND INCLUDE YOU GW NAME ON THE PLANT TAGS!

1. You must have at least 10 plants to PLAY NO MORE THEN 100 TOTAL ALLOWED.

Everyone is welcome to join. You must have your plants mailed to me in the time frame allowed.

This is meant to be fun! Let's keep it that way!

Â

REMEMBER:

NO REQUEST ARE TO BE MADE ON THE THREAD. DO NOT EMAIL ME REQUEST EITHER, (unless you wish for me to print

it for you). THESE WILL BE IGNORED. ONLY REQUEST YOU MAIL IN WITH YOUR PLANTS WILL BE HONORED NO EXCEPTIONS!

I CAN NOT GUARANTEE you will get all the plants you request or have listed as a wish I can only full fill as many wishes and request as the plants sent in allows.

Ok, you can send your

plants in any quantity. Examples are:

5 Blackberry Lily

2 Arum Lily

4 Red Candy Lily

6 Bengal Tiger Canna

6 Purple Candy Lily

10 Cardinal Flower

10 White Rain Lily Â

8 New English Aster

10 Agapanthus              Â

10 Heuchera Spotlight

9 Juncus

10 Aquilegia-Columbine

10 Hosta June

100 Total

Â

OR

10 Hosta Francee

10 Hosta June

10 Blackberry Lily

10 Heuchera Palace Purple

10 Heuchera Stoplight

10 Sedum Frosty Morn

10 Sedum Blue Spruce

10 Sedum Star Dust

10 Tradescantia 'Red Cloud'

10 Tradescantia 'Concord Grape'

100 Total

Â

OR if you are very limited in what you have:

4 Hosta Golden Tiara

4 Hosta Platinum Tiara

3 Hosta Francee

2 Heuchera Palace Purple

2 Blackberry Lily

3 Aquilegia Ruby Star

All you have to spare, DOES NOT HAVE TO BE 100 TOTAL

***ANNUALS*** NOTE:

You can list what you would like to send in, if members like the list they can say yes allow those. If they do not wish to have them in then please post no to the list from: the person.

Fran

Comments (150)

• flwrs4ever
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Betsy I would LOOOOVVVVE ONE, thanks SOOO much !! Oh, and I love SURPRISES, thanks so much for thinkin of me ! How nice !

I have been slowly trying to come up with an idea of what I can send...and will post a list soon.

***** I plan on mailing my plants inside of small plastic cups, to keep them from having such transplant shock, and I beleive it will make it much easier for Fran to sort the plants.

I thought I would mention this, and see if others want to do it the same way !!

• flwrs4ever
    14 years ago

I forgot to say, I would LOVE some white butterfly Iris !!

Fran, thanks for the info on the cuttings...I have a few things I can offer cuttings from, Ill add them to the list...and see if anyone wants them.

• sred98
    14 years ago

oooh Denise, I would be interested in the Lilac. As you can tell, I'm all about the fragrance! LOL! These lists are looking so good! I want one of everything! LOL!

Shelly

• Michelle Reynolds
    14 years ago

goodevening
    I was going to wrap each plants roots with wet napkin, wrap the napkin in plastic and maybe roll the whole plant in news paper and put a marker with it for ID.
    I'm thinking I may have to shorten my list becouse I don't think I will get it all in the box, and the idea of wraping over 70 plants(well at least 30 are bulbs, that helps) how should we do the bulbs, I was thinking puting them each in a paper bag, so 30 individual bags marked with contence, or do you want all 10 surprise lilies in one bag, and all peach daffs in one bag. or 5 in each bag? I'm tired I'm statring to confuse my self.
    well just give me an idea.
    goodnight
    michelle

• sred98
    14 years ago

I was planning on doing the large things like the azaleas separately, all the same bulbs in a bag, marked, so Fran could sort them out however she wanted, and then the cuttings separated into groups of 5, so they would count as one item. KWIM? The plants, I would do individually, just the bulbs all together. Sorted by kind, and color, though.

It is confusing...I am confusing myself! LOL!

Shelly

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, I am too tired to address some things right now so I will just say this.

BULBS:
    On the bulbs you can not send in one tiny bulb like pea or dime size and get credit. It HAS to be a FULL SIZE BULB.
    No small babies. THAT would NOT be fair. I KNOW bulbs vary by the plant they produce and some are smaller then others HOWEVER, on THESE types please make it worth a plant size bulb. Like Liatris they are SMALL individual bulbs but you can get a nice size clump to equal a Plant. SO on these types of bulbs, please make sure you have at least the size clump of say 2 inches round. ok?

Also, bulbs can be placed in bags like:
    Red Parrots Feather Tulip one bag one label
    Black Tulip one bag one label
    Red Glads one bag one label
    I can put these in bags and label then. I just need a way to ID the BLUBS

IDing PLANTS
    You can either right on a leaf like Irises MAKE SURE IT IS BLOCK LETTERS JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN READ YOUR WRITING DOESN'T MEAN I CAN.
    OR You can take the plant and rubberband a label to them then place in a bag OR even label the bag.
    Just make SURE you ADD YOUR GW NAME TO THEM! DO NOT FORGET THIS!

When getting the plants ready to mail you can take Sedum Autumn Joy( just an example) and wrap all of them in a piece of newpaper and then place them in a bag and put them in a box make sure there is an ID label in there.

Denise nice list hope you join.

Nichol, again you are such a sweetheart! Thank you!

OK, this is all I can do right now, I am too sleepy to make sense.....

G'night,
    A very sleepy Fran

• gardenmom2
    14 years ago

In the other thread, I had asked Fran how to ship. I will try to post the link she gave me. If I don't succeed with putting the link I will just say it is about the 5 or something post on the first thread we had. I will try. Here is the original answer to my question:

Hey Nichol I will add a link you can follow to get a general idea on how to ship plants.
    NOTE THE PLANT LABEL IN THE PICS THIS IS IMPORTANT! ALWAYS LABEL ANY PLANTS YOU SHIP!

1. You moisten a paper towel, newpaper, OR I like to use coffee filters.
    2. Wrap that around the roots of the plant and then wrap a piece of newpaper around the whole plant and place in a baggie large enough to hold the plant(s). (You don't want the plant to be placed straight into a plastic baggy this will cook it, it must be in newpaper)
    IN THIS CASE you might want to get the 1 or 2 gallon size ziplock bags and instead of wrapping each set of plants individually you can wrap a set of 10 in 1 whole sheet of newspaper and place that in the baggie. Then all 10 plants will be in one piece of newpaper and one baggy.
    DO MAKE SURE THEY ARE ZIPLOCK BAGS and get ALL the air you can out of the baggy so they do not burst of open in transsit.
    3. Place all the plants carefully in the box and tape it well and SHIP IT PRIORITY MAIL!

MAKE SURE YOU ALSO PLACE YOUR RETURN POSTAGE AND RETURN MAILING LABEL IN A ZIPLOCK BAGGY AS WELL SO THEY DO NOT: 1. GET WET 2. GET MESSED UP IN THE BOX!

PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO LABEL YOUR PLANTS AND INCLUDE YOU GW NAME!

If there are anymore questions on shipping please ask but I think this link will answer most questions along with what I have posted above.
    The trick is to keep the roots MOIST the whole trip but NOT SOAKING WET THIS WILL ROT THEM! THEY ONLY NEED DAMPNESS NOT DRIPPING WATER!

:)Fran

Here is a link that might be useful: Preparing plants for shipping by Remy

Ok we will see if that did it or not. Hope that helps.

• gardenmom2
    14 years ago

Yippeee I posted my first link. I know it's crazy, LOL, but that makes me excited. I hope that helps a little as far as how to ship stuff and save room in the box.

Nichol

(who is home today (yay) with two kids who are sick and think they are dying of pig flu. My dd has ben freaking b/c she has been coughing and sniffling from her allergies. No one near us has it and I told her she has not been to Mexico so she is fine LOL. But, we are home today. At least I can water plants in the greenhouse and get a few things done.)

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok Folks, I have a requesy PLEASE:

I NEED EVERYONE TO EITHER POST OR EMAIL ME THE ZIP CODE TO THE NEAREST POST OFFICE THAT YOU USE TO SHIP PACKAGES FROM. I AM GONNA WORK OUT SOME SHIPPING DETAILS SO EVERYONE CAN GET AN IDEA OF THE COST FOR THIS SWAP, THANKS!!!!!!

THANKS SO VERY MUCH!

:) Fran

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nichol, I am glad you are learning how to do things around here LOL...
    Ok I am off to go check the stuff for the Wet My Feet swap!!!!
    I will be checking back in later on....

• sguanzon
    14 years ago

Fran,

I would like to join this swap! I probably won't have my list together of what I'm going to send for a couple weeks if that's ok.

Sue G.

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Howdy Sue, as long as your list is listed by May 21 you are ok, Nichol will be sending out a compiled list of ALL the plants that are listed to choose from so that you can make a selection of what you would hope to get back.
    In the meantime think of some plants you would like to see come through the swap and list up to 10 you would hope would come in...

Glad you decided to join us!!!

• zinaray
    14 years ago

My want/wish list;
    hellebore plants
    egret flower bulbs
    bat flower bulbs[white &/or black]
    black elephant ears bulb
    pink lily of the valley
    bleeding heart[white & or red]
    Toni

• kamiljablo
    14 years ago

I have a Some questions:

1. Can we use flat rate boxes? That way we all pay the same amount for shipping, and we can use the regular or the large size.

2. Can we ship each plant packaged seperately? For example if I am send 10 offers of one type of bulb, can I package them in seperate bags all labeled? So all you would have to do fran is sort the bags.

Kamil

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello Kamil (they are also looking for you in the MFN so you can post your contents you recieved please jump over there and do so, so you can keep a good standing in the group :)!)
    Yes, you can use flat rate boxes.

I want you to packade each plant in separate bags but you can ship as much as you can in the same box.

SHIPPING:
    I STILL NEED ZIP CODES EVERYONE....I am working on something and I need the zip codes to figure it out so I can post for the group to maybe help easy the worries of shipping here.

• Michelle Reynolds
    14 years ago

hello
    my zip is 62301
    thanks
    michelle

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Members:
    01. ncgardengirl-Fran
    02. flwrs4ever-Kym
    03. candycow-Candy
    04. kamiljablo-Kamil
    05. zinaray-Toni
    06. gardenmom2-Nichol- LIST MASTER!
    07. micyrey-Michelle
    08. greenthumbgrow-Tammy
    09. blueridgemtngrl-Jeanne
    10. victorian_bellefonte-Elizabeth
    11. barefoot_contessa-Carrie
    12. divahethr- Heather
    13. kalena67-Karen
    14. sred98-Shelly
    15. fcoffill-Frances
    16. piksi_hk-Betsy
    17. sguanzon-Sue

KNOWN LURKERS:
    grolikecrazy-Chris
    antiqueorchid-Denise
    dirtdiggin-Toni (declined at the moment might be back)

Come one lurkers at least let us know your out there and THINKING about it LOL. Your gonna wish you did if you DON'T!

Just thought I would post the update with Sue added! hehe

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

I have two or three each of the following available right now. mostly common perennial.

4 o'clock - stout seedlings
    blue larkspur seedlings
    OP tomato (labeled, one of each sort) no solid red
    rudibeckia - seedlings from OP hybrid seed
    sedums - mix ground cover types
    sedums - autumn joy
    shasta daisy - alaska divisions
    coneflower - common division
    yarrow - pink seedling
    yarrow - dar pink - division
    blackberry lily - 1 year old seedling
    variageted euonymus - rooted cuttings
    pale lavendar iris, smells like grape koolaid) small offsets (at least one year from flowering) tall, 36-40" this is an old garden type, not a fancy hybrid.

I will not have any of the kwanso daylily available, because I am not sure which ones they are right now and won't be absolutely certain until the bloom in June/July. I don't want to send someone fulva by accident. I love them, but not everyone does!

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lots of people like what you have listed Frances, I don't understand what you were worried.
    It looks like a good list to me!

HEY EVERYONE WHERE ARE YOU?

• gardenmom2
    14 years ago

HI everyone. Just checking in to say hi. Crazy busy but that is getting to be normal around here. Found out today that we will be calling hospice in the next couple weeks for father in law. We have been blessed withso much more time with him than the dr's thought we would have, but he is deteriorating now. Greenhouse came apart at the top so we had to rig a tarp over it so the wnds would no rip the plastic to shreds as it rained the last few days. That of course led to moving all of the plants and seedlings around crazy so they would get sunlight. Well, of course they do not all fit on the end where there is sun. SO, had to bring some in the garage on a trailor that I haul outside and in. Now b/c of the hole, I have 2 carpenter bees who have decided they like my greenhouse. I am about to blow it up. LOL It has led to so many headaches and wasted time. If we can get it fixed it will be great, but I have decided to wait and fix it after I get the garden in because every time we have had no rain, we have been in there fixing something which leads to 3 more jobs I don't have time for. I do have lettuce and cabbage n the ground. I have lots and lots of volunteer lettuce from last year. I have broccoli out and ready to go in the ground tomorrow and will till and plant potatoes. Wed. is planned for the peas, finally. Then Thursday I will be planting onions, asparagus and rhubarb (better way late than never). LOL Friday I hope to plant carrots, beets, spinach, and anything else I find. Saturday will be tomoato day, I hope. Gotta check the 10 day forecast and be sure. I will also plant beans and who knows what else. That is the game plan anyway. Somebody look out because when I make plans, they go haywire. We will probably get a blizzard or some other awful thing. LOL

Nichol Who is losing her mind and slowly going INSANE !!

• greenthumbgrow
    14 years ago

OK Denise you must join because I really would LOVE your...
    Echinacea White Swan
    Red Tulips
    Hens and chicks
    Lupin Purple & Pink
    Lilac Magenta color fades to medium lavender

I will be adding some to my list... Which I am getting together right now. LOL:-)

Tammy:-)

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Nichol can I ride that bus with yah? EVERYTIME we make plans some thing HAPPENS it NEVER fails NEVER something is always screwing up.
    FOR INSTANCE:
    We had planned on using the barn run in to put the Geese in, and we were going to fix it differently for the future horses. Well there were TREES growing in AND around the outside of it, stemming from neglected years and we started cutting them down to clean it out.
    Well GUESS WHAT? THE TREES WE CUT WERE HOLDING IT UP! AND NOW since the trees are gone the supports are breaking and if we can't figure out a way to brace it soon the whole back side of the barn will come down, MAYBE more then that because it is all attached here and there to it all. I PRAY it is only the back half with the run in but it will be such a mess if ANY of it falls in...
    THAT along with the fact that NONE of my garden is going in at the moment is slowing driving me battier they I already was! I have been doing what I can and I think tomorrow I will drag all my seed stuff out on the front porch and happily sit out there and sow what I have already gotten started in baggies. I have so many things started and no real place to put them just yet because I have so many seeds that NEED to be started I am running out of room from what I have already gotten roots on!
    AHHH, It WILL come together I just KNOW it!
    I sat out there today sticking cuttings from some items I have around here I have had request for.
    I HAD PLANNED on putting seedlings in a seedling area I have outside BUT since it rained again today I didn't get to put anything in the baby bed.
    So I worked on other stuff, like sticking some cuttings a friend asked for LOL. And doing some of the seedlings in invidual pot things because they are either sturdy enough to go in their own home or BIG enought!
    SOOOO this is what I have been up too, working around my PLANS lol. Doing what I can to get what needs to be done done!

Ok, I think I am going to bed my alleriges/sinuses are NOT happy with all the moisture we have had lately but the plants sure to love it.

• greenthumbgrow
    14 years ago

fran ...? I don't remember if I sent my zip?? Its 21901. Tammy

• piksi_hk
    14 years ago

Fran & Nichol,

You poor babies...I feel for you. I've planted some veggie for this summer but have few more to go. There's so much I would like to sow but it feels like summer already down here. It may be too late for me.

Here's my wish list:
    daylilies
    lilies - blackberry, asiatic, oriental etc
    iris
    bulbs
    perennials
    loosestrife
    daffodil
    monarda
    zone 9 heat tolerant plants

Fran, my zip is 77706.

Betsy

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok I need zip codes for the following:

13. kalena67-Karen

Thanks everyone!

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Also need an email addy for:

Jeanne, if you do not email me or provide me with an email address I will drop you from the swap. An email addy IS a requirement for this swap and if you do not list one I can't contact you so you are not eligible to be a member in the list. PLEASE either fix your member page so that you have one provided or email it to me.

IF I have not gotten a response from you by Friday MAY 8th I WILL remove your name from the list of members. I am sorry, BUT I POSTED this in the RULES!

Fran

• karenh71867
    14 years ago

Oh, I'm sorry Fran! I thought I had emailed it to you already! Here it is: 57216

Busy time for me, so I can't chat, I'll check in later!

Karen

• sred98
    14 years ago

Is anyone interested in Purple Homestead Verbena? I need to thin mine (hasn't been thinned in years!) and thought I would see if there's any interest. Otherwise, I will just spread it around the yard! I LOVE it!

Shelly

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well YES Shelly, dare you have to ASK?
    I have been looking for some and can't find it when I want to and when I do I refuse to pay that HIGH price for a little pot when it takes forever for it to cover and area if you only get a few pots, so I would have to have a BUNCH of pots and THAT runs into money!
    I KNOW Kym will probable want some too, she is redoing her front yard in a Red, White, And Blue theme so that would work good for her too.
    AND I am SURE others will be interested as well.

Thanks for posting SO, is this gonna be added to your list?

In the other swap we started a confirmation thread for the list, should I start one for us so everyone can post their have list there and it will not get lost?
    NO CONVERSATION OVER THERE JUST POST LIST......IF you have a QUESTION about something you have then post it in which ever conversation post we have going but leave the confirmation post for just that...YOUR LISTING OF HAVES...

So if you want a confirmation thread let me know I will start one. With the understanding NO CHATTING on it...

Thanks,

• sred98
    14 years ago

Yes!!! Start a confirmation thread because I won't be able to send my Rose and Weigela cuttings. The rose did not take the transplant well, so it dies back quite a bit, and the weigela wasn't taken care of by the former owners, so it is needing to have the dead pruned back. There's hardly any growth compared to what it should be. UGH. I do have tons of forsythia, too.

Shelly

• greenthumbgrow
    14 years ago

Shelly - I too have been reallllly wanting the purple verbena. Mine died last year and I sooo miss it and my hummingbirds do too. They loved it. So please send in a couple for me:-) I will add it to my list.

Thanks for the offer.

Tammy

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just wanted to say I am running numbers in the data base for postage I have a few more things to check then I will either post everything here so we can discuss it OR email the info to you and then we can discuss everything via email or on the thread, I am open to either way.

I will tell you this though, you are gonna need 2 milk jugs filled with water, or a 2 gallon water jug or what ever you have. So anything you can get to equal 2 gallons of water I need for you to be trying to find it so you will understand what I am saying when I send the information however I send it...

OK then,
    I will check back in later on,

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, I have emailed everyone with their postage rates for the sizes and weight I keyed in.
    If you have questions PLEASE let's talk about them.

I KNOW it was a costly for some of you, so I am thinking it would be a benefit to split 2 large priority boxes.

I would hate for anyone to have to scale back on the plants they planned on sending in.

However, I did check into UPS and for all but to of you it was under $20.00 to send.

So if you want my zip code to check on some numbers then I will pass that along. You might want to go with UPS, if you have one in your area.

I can either let you know what your cost would be for a 20lb box with UPS or I can let you check on some weight for yourself...just let me know what you would like to do.

I have some other information that I am planning on passing on the the group too when I get it all together for you.

I think this swap will be worth the cost of shipping, I really feel like it would be.

Ok well, when I get the other info I will post that for you all.
    Again I will say some things the foliage can be cut back on to help with the shipping cost, irises, daylilies and things like that. Also, it is ok to send smaller tubers on these. They do not have to be HUGE root stock, send something you would be happy to receive. I KNOW cutting the foliage makes the plant ugly BUT next year it will not matter anyway will it?

Ok on this note I am gonna end this post.

• blueridgemtngrl
    14 years ago

Hi,

Sorry to be late. My zip is 28768. My address is:

Jeanne Cassidy
    1 Highland Dr. (old)
    10 Highland Hills Dr. (new)
    Pisgah Forest, NC 28768

Address is be written exactly as above. Our county is in the process of upgrading its EMS system and therefore readdressing some locations.

Some of what I have is:

purple iceplant
    southern lady ferns
    hellebore seedlings (colors unknown)
    slender blue flag iris (I think)
    threadleaf coreopsis
    greenheaded coneflower
    Christmas ferns
    dwarf crested iris

Thanks!

Jeanne

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OMG Jeanne, You live not too too far from me!

No problem on the lateness I just hadn't heard from you. Wasn't sure if you were still in or not.
    I need your email addy. You can just email that too me OR you can change it on your profile page.
    GO to edit profile and add your email addy to it.

Either way I have to have it so I can contact you through email and so can Nichol when she sends the list.

Nice plant list btw!

Also go ahead an contact Gardenweb and ask them to remove your post with your address, I wouldn't want the wrong person to see it.

Thanks,

• sred98
    14 years ago

Hey Fran-that is NOT horseradish that is growing. I don't know what it is, but it looks exactly like it, but with no flavor to the roots at all. I even compared it to fresh storebought...looks identical, no smell. I don't remember if it flowered, or not. We bought the house in Feb. What looks like horseradish and is apparently edible??? I think I just won't send any in, unless it is a few pieces for you to check for yourself, KWIM?

Is Frances worried about her list?? I'd love everything on there except the Blackberry lilies! I'm sending some in, myself! ;9 LOL! Everybody has such wonderful lists...I'm wondering if I can just send Fran $100 and get it all! ROFL!

Shelly
    Shelly

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Shelly your too funny. I am game to try the non-radish horseradish, I don't plan on eating it anyway, I just want the plant. Hey, if it is a mildest version of Horseradish it is what I would want to eat because I can't deal with hot, spicy stuff :).

NICHOL, BREATHE GIRL!!!

Well one more week to sign up and that is it! I wish more folks would join, but HEY if not it will be fun anyway :)

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Hey Shelly good to know! I grew most of the plants in my garden from seeds (and swaps here on GW) Sorry to hear you are not sending the rose. But I can't do cuttings this summer anyway, won't be around to keep an eye on them.

I am wishing for shade plants for hot/dry. I don't really need anymore ground covers, got a ton of liriope, ivy and vinca already! need some height now, shrub starts especially.

More later
    Frances

• gardenmom2
    14 years ago

Hi Guys. Trying to read posts and catch up for a few minutes. I finally planted my potatoes this past monday. It was great. They were put in late, so I hope I get a decent hrvest. All the potatoes had sprouted in the bag alot so I really think I will be successful and everything will grow. I planted a ton b/c I was not sre of the harvest since they got in so late, but now I figure since I planted so many of them that EVERY plant will produce a ton. Oh well, that will be good, too, b/c I have a place to store them over the winter now, so won't have to buy any.

Gotta go pack up for two seed swaps than this one and I am laying low for a while. Too much going on.

We figured out a way to redo the greenhouse wall and save the plastic. It is covered in a tarp for now so I can only use half the greenhouse. That is the good news. I am able to use it and saving it and know how to fix it. The bad news is that it has been sitting there, b/c of schedules and the rain in the last two weeks, with no door on it yet. Just open and now carpenter bee's have decided to nest in there in two spots. They like the new lumber. SO, I am going to take spray out and get rid of them b/c they have decided that I am unwelcome in MY greenhouse. LOL. Someday it will be great. I hav just decided that I am doing my best and my expectations were alittle high.

My son has been in OT,PT and speech therapies since he was 18 months old. Well, we are down to OT only the last 4 months b/c of insurance reasons. Well, we rec'd great news. He is testing at his 6 year old level finaly and his OT therapist has discharged him. That is SO wonderul for us. SO, other speech through his school, we are done with dr. appts, copays, therapies, evaluations, etc.... We at one point were going to 4 therapies and numerous dr. visits every week. Plus a specialized play group therapy twice a week during 18 month-4 year old stage. We are done with it and so thankful.. Just had to share.

Deciding on my lit now and will be posting on the new thread as soon as I determine the rest.

Nichol

• sred98
    14 years ago

Nichol-that is wonderful news about your son!! YAY! I know you are relieved. Those therapies (while extremely important) can really run us parents down! LOL! You really feel like you are meeting yourself coming and going, but it is worth it!

I should take a pic of the ZD rose and show y'all how pitiful it looks! :( It doesn't have a single leaf on it and hardly any green stems. My fault for not cutting it back hard when I moved it. I guess I need to whack it to the ground. I hate doing that, but it's not going to sprout any leaves on spotty branches! LOL! I thought I could just plant it quick enough it wouldn't notice. :p

I can't wait til we mail these! This will be exciting!

Shelly

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Shelly, I just killed a rose bush that was planted here too, I thought if I put it in water it would be happy until I relocated it,,,OPPPS, that dog DRANK the water and NO the rose bush wasn't HAPPY .
    I stuck it back in water BUT it isn't going to recover...oh well, roses hate me anyway.

Nichol THAT IS WONDERFUL NEWS congrats! I am so glad you shared that with us! It really is exciting news!!!
    Yes, you SHOULD boot out the carpenter bees, they seem to be bad this year. They are EVERYWHERE here! I don't bother them and they don't bother me, that is the way it should be BUT if they try to run me out of the barn well then we will have a problem then!
    I am glad the greenhouse can be fixed. I still have hopes that I will get one too. I hope I will soon, but I am not holding my breath for that....
    I look forward to seeing your list :).

OK, company is on the way I will check in later,

• grolikecrazy
    14 years ago

Hi Fran, I'm in Iowa right now for my son in law's graduation and catching up a bit on my favorite thread to lurk around at.
    You ask for a want list, here it goes:

Asian Wonder fargesia bamboo or any hardy bamboo that makes at least 10' tall canes
    black bamboo
    yellow bamboo
    variegated bamboo
    black giant elephant ears
    kiss-me-over-the -garden -gate vine
    partial shade climbing roses rooted cuttings
    daylilies doubles and ruffly ones
    5 cannas apricots flowers on red leaves rhyzomes,
    5 variegated leaves ones too
    hardy hibiscus rooted cuttings
    rooted mandevilla vine
    rooted bougainvillaes(to replace those the late freeze killed this spring)
    rooted pink lemon tree(to replace also)
    variegated hardy yucca
    white and purple liatris clumps
    astilbes clumps
    asian fragrant lilies
    tuberose bulbs
    luv some saffron crocus
    very big hardy ferns
    gunerra starts or other giant hardy plants(mine didn't sprout)
    yeah, I know I'm asking for the moon, but many a time people at GW deliver just about that!

• grolikecrazy
    14 years ago

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY EVERYONE!
    That's what happens when you're in a hotel room for mother's day, not a crowd to cook for, no garden patio or gardens to prepare for mother's day company, so what's to do ? Write to my GW friends and wish them Happy Mother's Day!
    You are the best of the best! Christine

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY EVERYONE

LOL Chris, hope you have a safe trip home this week.
    You're right about it being a hard list and there are things on there I would love to see come in too.
    I want the black bamboo, and some tall bamboo in general and Gunnera Manicata, I would LOVE to have, there is another plant sort of like it I would love to get too. It is a Darmera peltata; Indian Rhubarb, have you heard of it? If not you should go look it up, it is COOL!
    PLUS a lot more lol.

Anyway, I haven't seen too much of what you have listed and don't really expect it to come in but it WOULD be nice if some of it did.

ANYWAY, hope everyone had a great weekend and Hope all the Mother's out there have a GREAT MOTHER'S DAY!

• greenthumbgrow
    14 years ago

happy belated mothers day everyone!

I am so excited about this swap fran. Can't wait to get the boxes flying. LOL

Tammy

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Me too Tammy, I can't wait!

Ok folks I just wanted to post an update for some of you to calm some fears about postage. I KNOW it is something to worry about sometimes when you are unsure so I just mailed off a package and I wanted to give you an idea of how much you can send for 10-12 lbs.

My box size was:
    Lenght: 19.5 in
    Height: 10 in
    Width: 9.5
    according to my post office and I told the SO their scale was off some it weighed: 9 lbs 14 ozs (USPS)
    according to UPS it weighed 10 lbs 15 oz so billable weight was 11 lbs weighed: 11 lbs (UPS)
    Contents:

50 Wild Daffodil Bulbs assort sizes from LARGE to small
    5 Thalia dealbata ave size 4 inch long roots
    6 Canna avg. size roots were 4 inches long
    2 Smaller Canna tubers
    4 Med clumps of Litrope
    6 Yellow Flag Isis
    10 Ditch Daylilies

NONE of my foliage was cut back, these were plants not starts.
    I think this is a pretty good amount and my box was STUFFED PLUS, I had everything wrapped in newspaper and then inside zip lock bags inside grocery bags, and so was wet because it is waterplants so I wanted them to stay moister then the land plants.
    ANYWAY, I hope this gives you and idea how how much you can send of course with USPS it depends on where you live for the size box you send to where it is going.
    This was sent from NC to MD, but I am sure with UPS the rates are pretty much the same no matter where you ship to and from. I checked the rates that time and they were pretty reasonable I thought.

OK, I got a message from SHANTA in CANADA she wishes to join us and she sent me her list, BUT I emailed her back asking her is she is SURE SURE she wants to join and when I her from her again that she is sure sure I will post her list for her because as most of you know if she does join us she can not post for herself because she is in Canada.

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We have a new member she is Shanta, she lives in Canada and can not post for herself so I am posting her list for her.

shanta_5-Shanta's HAVE LIST of coming in plants:
    bee balm
    jacob kline(red) (3)
    daffadils
    geraniums pink
    daylilies
    varieigated ornamental grass
    Vinca
    Iris
    obedient plant pink
    Spiderwort
    Lily of the Valley
    shasta daisy -
    yarrow

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Members:
    01. ncgardengirl-Fran
    02. flwrs4ever-Kym
    03. candycow-Candy
    04. kamiljablo-Kamil
    05. zinaray-Toni
    06. gardenmom2-Nichol- LIST MASTER!
    07. micyrey-Michelle
    08. greenthumbgrow-Tammy
    10. victorian_bellefonte-Elizabeth
    11. barefoot_contessa-Carrie
    12. divahethr- Heather
    13. kalena67-Karen
    14. sred98-Shelly
    15. fcoffill-Frances
    16. piksi_hk-Betsy
    17. sguanzon-Sue
    18. shanta_5-Shanta

KNOWN LURKERS:
    grolikecrazy-Chris
    antiqueorchid-Denise
    dirtdiggin-Toni (declined at the moment might be back)

Come one lurkers at least let us know your out there and THINKING about it LOL. Your gonna wish you did if you DON'T!

• sred98
    14 years ago

Hey everyone-I thought of an annual that I would really love to have. The dark colored Castor Bean Plants. I need at least 2 of them for some pots I am doing around the pool. If anyone has any of these, let me know! I am also looking for some of the low growing Artemisia. Not sure if this is an annual or not here?

Shelly

• piksi_hk
    14 years ago

Shelly,

I have artemisia, prossibly "oriental limelight" , they are sprawling/spreading type. Need to be contained; it will spread!

Betsy