Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirt_under_my_nails

update: mnf may picnic baskets # 2

Basket #1

The van is packed & kids are all loaded in...We are headed to the lake for some fishing!!!On the way we listen to the oldies station on the radio. Great songs like 'Route 66'(daylily)& 'Good Vibrations'(iris)seem to put everyone in a great mood.

The road took us right past the 'Candy Factory'(daylily),so of course everyone was wanting candy!! No candy in my bag,they had to settle for a stick of 'Juicy Fruit'(iris).

Arrive at the fishing hole & everyone is thirsty!! I break out the 'Iced Hazelnut'(mint)& 'Lemon Balm'(balm) teas.Of course they are hungry too so the 'Assorted Treats'from the picnic basket are also consumed.

Everyone gets down to fishing and no one catches ANYTHING.It seems that right down the bank a little girl named 'Jean Marie'(iris) jumped in the lake and scared off all the fish.

Once back home me & hubby enjoyed '2 Daily's Freeze & Serve Margaritas'while savoring the fragrance from the 'Noid Peach'(brugmansia) blooms.

Basket #2

My picnic takes place in a hot air balloon ride. We flew as high as a falcon (Iris: Falcon's Pride). Going so quickly I looked down and saw the sea (Splendens: Sea Pink) and finally land. I didn't realize where we were until I saw large herds of zebra (I.Padilla Zebra Iris: Variegated Green & White) running across the Savannah.

Being it such a long ride I began to get hungry. So I opened my picnic basket and took out a dish of delicious black raspberries (Black Raspberry Vine) and pealed and orange (Orange Oriental Lilies). Getting thirsty I opened my bottle of iced-tea with mint (Spearmint). Thinking it needed a little something I added a slice of lemon (Lemon Balm). Being so full I decided to doze.

Before I knew it we were touching back down at my home. Fully rested and I settled down on my front porch swing to reminisce about my day. Sitting in the darkness I truly felt like the queen of the night (Iris: Queen of the Night).

Basket # 3

My getaway begins in the cold regions of Alaska (shasta daisy) with the decision to find some warmer climes. After much deliberation, we travel through Oregan(o), munching on parsley as a healthy snack food, and catch an airplane to the continent of Africa, having decided a safari is just what we need to warm up! There in the depths of the Congo, surrounded by butterflies (butterfly ginger roots), we see a lion's tail (mother wort) sticking out of some shrubbery. Knowing that there is a lion on the other end of that tail, we run, fly, and drive our way home, knowing that our friend Sweet William will be there, waiting to welcome us home.

So, having said all that, my basket will include, but not be limited to, Shasta Daisy Alaska, oregana, curly-leafed parsley, butterfly ginger tubers, mother wort, and a mix of sweet william. I'll throw some pineapple mint in there too.

Basket # 4

We pack our picnic basket (Basket Plant/Callisia fragrans) and head to the lake. Once there we enjoy dipping our feet in the cool water while snacking on figs (Celeste Fig cuttings) and oranges (Orange Daylillies). After a long day of swimming we head home. There's a nice cool breeze (Windmill Palm) outside so we spend the evening sitting in the yard together listening to the frogs croaking among the plantains (Hostas). After awhile we hear thunder in the distance and notice the sky has gotten cloudy so we go inside....I can only hope that we get at least an inch (Inch Plant/Tradescantia) of rainfall overnight so that I don't have to water the gardens this week.

Basket # 5

I decided to take a short vacation jaunt with my friend Rose, of Sharon, Pa (rose of Sharon). We packed up our picnic basket and headed off to New Orleans. We needed to arrive at the Shady Cat Jazz Club by 4 oclock (four oÂclockÂs) to hear our old pal Dusty Miller (dusty miller) play the blues on his trusty battered trumpet (trumpet vine). As we got closer to our destination, Rose started having cats and kittens fits (hens and chicks) because she thought she forgot the pineapple (pineapple sage) upside down cake. I told her it was safely packed beside the poppy seed (poppies) cake that I had brought. When we arrived the joint was swinging and Dusty was rocking the place. I decided to have a big old fashioned chocolate ice cream cone (coneflower) while we were waiting for him to complete his set. He was delighted to see us and excited that we made the trip. We stuffed him full of cake, gave lots of hugs and well wishes. We headed back singing old bluesy songs all the way home while admiring the snow on the mountain (snow on the mountain)in the distance.

~ SELECTION ORDER ~

1.Linda

2.Vina

3.Chellflower

4.Dan

5.April

The first person, #1, chooses a basket

The second person, #2, either chooses a basket or steals # 1's basket .

If your basket is stolen you get to choose again!

The third person, #3 repeats the process

The game will continue until all of the baskets are

chosen or locked whichever comes first

EXCEPTIONS

You may not steal from the person who stole from you.

You may steal a stolen basket if someone else steals it from the person who

stole it from you.

Once a basket has been stolen 3 (three) times it becomes LOCKED for the remainder

of the game.

THE REST OF THE RULES

1. Your box must be mailed out no later than May 19th.

2. Boxes must be mailed Priority with a Delivery Confirmation #.

HAVE FUN!!

later....April

Comments (81)

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hey guys!!
    April, a post above your list post I already stole Linda's Basket #3. I was so sneaky that you missed it...WOW! I'm better than I thought :0)

So, Linda...It your turn again :0)

vina

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is just weird...there are two post that were NOT there yesterday,but are now showing up!! Garden Elves up to trouble again!!!

~Basket Status~

1.Linda~

2.Vina~ holding Basket # 3(x)

3.Chellflower~ holding basket #5(x)

4.Dan~ Proud owner of basket #1 which is now LOCKED!

5.April~ holding basket #2(xx)

Linda's keeping us all in suspense!!!

later.....April

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

"sneaking up on April and pouncing"...HAH! I'm stealing basket number 2 and I think it's locked now!..."getting out chains and paddlocks"...

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sniffling...can't belive you did that to me Linda...thought we were buddies :( Now I gotta take # 5 basket from Chellflower....

1.Linda~Proud owner of basket #2 which is now LOCKED too!

2.Vina~ holding Basket # 3(x)

3.Chellflower~

4.Dan~ Proud owner of basket #1 which is now LOCKED!

5.April~ holding basket #5(xx)

later....April

• chellflower
    13 years ago

OK Linda, so I guess this makes us even now, LOL.

Basket #3 is looking pretty good so I'm taking dibs on it.

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

***sitting here, giggling my ### off because of all the pushing and shoving and stealing!!!*** this is hilarious!

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Okay, so if my basket 3 has been stolen...that means I'm up! :0)
    Sorry April, but I'm stealing basket #5, and I believe I am finally locked in...whew! :0) I thought I'd never get one.

And your up...
    vina

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

this is so great! I wasn't too sure abou this at first April but this is a blast!! Great job!!! "smugly holding onto my basket and petting my falcon"

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well as the saying goes...all good things must come to an end...I take basket # 4. Everyone now has a basket!!

Please contact the winner of your creation & mail out as soon as possible. Don't forget to mail priority & post delivery confirmation number !!!

~Basket Status~

1.Linda~winner of basket #2

2.Vina~ winner of Basket # 5

3.Chellflower~ winner of basket #3

4.Dan~ winner of basket #1

5.April~winner of basket #4

Linda~ glad you enjoyed the game. However I did NOT come up with this picnic basket idea!! We did this about 2 or 3 years ago in the OBF group. I'm suprised it doesn't happen more often though.

later....April

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Afternoon All!!

Just dropping in to let Dan know his package has left the building!!USPS Delivery # 0309 2880 0000 2801 8841.

Who else mailed today?

later...April

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

I have to wait till the torrential downpour stops. It probably won't get out until Wed or Thursday.

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

I mailed mine out to Chell today! the number is 03083390000189879671, and would you believe the window clerk wanted to charge me for putting an envelope on the box? I DON'T think so! good thing for him I didn't want to take the time to argue with him. I did give him a small piece of my mind though. I mean, how stupid could he be? wanting to overcharge someone "in the business"??? anywho, it's on it's way and now I'm on my way to bed. a bit early, but I don't think I'm going to be able to stay awake much longer. my back has been feeling a bit tired lately so my buddy Joe gave me one of his pain pills, and yep, it's working! hehehe so, I think I'm gonna just go offline and enjoy the ride tonight. see ya all later!

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

Good Morning Everyone! I'm happy to say that, after a good nights' rest, my back is feeling much better! Yay!!!
    I'm even happier to report that I just checked on Chell's package, and it's left town and gone through the Grand Rapids sorting station, so it is well on its way!

April, I checked on that dc# and it said it was delivered in Georgia yesterday. Did you mail out more than one package there kiddo?

Happy Tuesday Everyone!

Peace.
    -Dan

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dan~
    I mailed out 2 packages yesterday.BOTH were headed to MI.One to you & one to hubby's granny. Haven't the foggiest idea as to why it shows delivered to Atlanta GA!!! I'm totally baffled!!And just a little ticked!!

later.....April

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok....so I called the PO. They said that the package is still on the move. It should have shown that it arrived at the sort facility in Atlanta.Plus residential mail is not usually delivered at 9:42 p.m.!They think who ever scanned hit the wrong button on the scanner or something!!Keeping my fingers crossed that it makes it to MI!!

later...April

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

roflmao!! I knew something was up! when it gets scanned again it'll show up in the system correctly. and now, tired though I am, I'm off to dig up some perennials a local gardener is getting rid of through freecycle. she's getting rid of all her gardens and starting over. luck me!

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hey everyone! I have never been on free cycle. Can someone give me the addy for it. Is is like craigs list? It sounds like something I should check out :0)
    vina

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

Oh! Freecycle is WONDEFUL!!! I have gotten and freecycled so much stuff through them. The address is freecycle.com. It will ask what state, city and county you live in and then hook you up to the nearest one. You'll love it!

• chellflower
    13 years ago

I mailed April's box out this morning.
    Conf. # 0308 2690 0001 5515 9998

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

okay, it's finally stopped raining! I have a two day break before it starts again on sat. I'll be digging things up on Friday and hopefully it will be in the mail by Saturday.

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    13 years ago

~Basket Status~

Linda~

Vina~

Chellflower~sent

Dan~sent

April~sent

How could I have forgotten about freecycle?? After reading here this morning I posted on there that I will take all iris that are being thinned & any unwanted plants. 2 ladies already contacted me about iris & one guy said I can look in his yard to see if there is anything I want!! Gonna be a good weekend!!!

later....April

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hey everyone!
    I just tried freecycle.com and a page came up with a whole list of other websites. Nothing asked me about a city or zip or nothing. Am I doing this wrong?

OKAY...since I am a self confessed irisaholic...I am so jealous right now that I can't get the darn webpage to work for me....someone PLEASE help me!! :0)

OH! Linda, really no rush on the box...still working on where the little ones are going to go :0)

Have a great day!! 81 today and S U N N Y ! woohoo!
    vina

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Vina~ It's freecycle.org Good Luck!!

later....April

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

YAY!!! My box from April arrived today, making it the 2nd time it was "delivered"!!! LOL!!!
    I thought all we were supposed to send were plants, but then I opened up my box and April changed all that! On top was a note telling me to enjoy, and there will be no problem doing that!
    First thing I saw was 2 margarita mixes, alcohol included, and they are now in the freezer so I can drink them with dinner. April, margaritas are my favorite drink!
    Next was a package of 8 snickers bars, which, at 2 points each, will work in beautifully on my weight watchers diet.
    Next (and I'm not sure if this is a hidden message or not) was a package of mixed nuts, which will make a great snack, as will the beef jerky she also included.
    And then there were the plants...
    Irises: Jean Marie, Juicy Fruit, noid Purple, and Good Vibrations
    Lemon Balm
    Iced Hazelnut Mint
    Daylilies: Candy Factory & Route 66

All of these plants are new to my garden, April, THANK YOU!!!

I weigh in at weight-watchers tonight and then I'm coming home for sliders and margaritas. I believe I'll soak the new plants in the meantime, and then they'll be ready to plant tonight when I'm good and sloshed. Sounds like a great night to me!!! LOL!

Peace.
    -Dan

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dan~ glad the package arrived safe & sound. If you notice in my basket description included "assorted treats" & "margaritas". No hidden message to the nuts...ya needed something to go with the ritas!
    later...April

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

April, I'm enjoying those margaritas right now... thanks again! After a day with temps in the 80s, they're a welcome respite!

I weighed in tonight and I've lost another 2 pounds, for a total of 16 in 5 weeks. How cool is that!

Everyone enjoy your evening!

Peace.
    -Dan

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dan~Happy that you are enjoying the frozen treat.The pina colada ones are pretty good too.Congrats on the weight loss! My SIL & BIL both had sucess with weight watchers. I don't have very good will power.The sodas are my downfall. Along with the cookies,cakes & brownies.

My freecycle score of the day~ 1/2 of a 5 gallon bucket of iris. The lady said the color is not really purple but not really blue either.Can't wait till next spring to see for myself!!

~Basket Status~

Linda~

Vina~

Chellflower~sent

Dan~sent/received

April~sent

later...April

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Afternoon All!
    Woo Hoo!! My box from Chellflower arrived today!!Thanks so much for the healthy plants. I'm off to google them as I'm only familar to the daylilies. Hubby is soo excited about the palm tree!!

~Basket Status~

Linda~

Vina~

Chellflower~sent

Dan~sent/received

April~sent/received

later...April

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    13 years ago

How's everyone's Saturday going? Picked up another huge batch of irises today. If any of you MNF want any, will send them to ya'll for postage. They are all mixed up. These today are white, purple, & purple with yellow.
    Have a good night!!
    later...April

P.S.
    Try to the the boxes out ASAP!!That way Miss Linda can get June's swap up & running.

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

April, if I could, I'd make my entire yard irises! I'd be jealous of you with all those irises, but I've got an iris farm just outside of town with acres and acres and acres of the gorgeous things! They're each just $5.50 apiece, no matter what kind they are. Now, if you should get some orange or reds, let me know, and I'll be glad to send you postage...hehehe!

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

mine will be goiong out on Monday..very uncooperative weather!!

• chellflower
    13 years ago

April, glad you like your new plants and everything arrived healthy!

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hi all!
    Linda really no rush :0)...still working on beds. :0)

I had the county digging ditches across the road from my house and they unearthed boulders...beautiful, beautiful boulders. I was out filling my bird feeders and remarked how nice they looked. The guys said if I can find a place for them they would set the for me. SO....I now have 14 boulders about the size of my dining room table or bigger around my yard. They used this HUGE crane thingy to pick them up and place them where I wanted them.

Super long story short...I have scrubbed them all clean. Got off all the clay/mud YUCK and am now putting in more flowerbeds (4 in all) to go around my new lovlies.

Boy was my DH surprised when he came home. :0) He just shook his head and laughed...I am a bit of a rock nut anyway...so this kind of crazy he's used too. :0)

I will be digging and shipping out your picnic basket on Wednesday. I am trying NOT to forget to get a DC.

Have a great Monday everyone! Sunny and 78 today...perfect weather! :0)

vina

• lilangel181
    13 years ago

Hello everyone.
    Vina, I'm so jealous of your new boulders, and April, of your freecycle scores! Everyone looks like they're getting great boxes. Linda, I hope your weather cooperates with you. We had storms for a few days, followed by humid heat right now. Everyone is doing whatever they can to stay in air conditioning! Hope everyone is having a lovely beginning of summer,
    ~Laura

• chellflower
    13 years ago

I recieved my basket from Dan yesterday! The PO made me pay $9 postage for it.. even though it already had a $11.40 flat rate stamp on it (I'll never understand how the PO figures their charges).... but on the bright side the box is FULL of plants! Everything is healthy and happy, and Dan even threw in a bunch of seeds!
    Thanks Dan for the basket!

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey All~

Chell~sorry you had to pay for the box.I'd ask to speak to the postmaster!!!!

Vina~trade you some iris for your boulders!! LOL!!

Kiddos only have 3 days of school left.I'm sooo ready to start sleeping in!!

later....April

~Basket Status~

Linda~

Vina~

Chellflower~sent/received

Dan~sent/received

April~sent/received

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

Chell, that is so ##$$!$!!!!! ridiculous! Did they say why?? I'm with April, you need to speak to your local postmaster and ask for a refund. There's no reason why you should've been asked to pay another $9. I am glad though that your box got to you and that you like the plants. It's been a week since I mailed them to you, so I was getting concerned about their condition. Are they all okay?

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hi all!
    Well...(drum roll please).....Linda, your box is finally going out in the mail this morning. On the box is written OPEN THIS END, please heed the warning :0)...I stuffed, err, ever so gently, everything in and managed a couple of the extras we talked about. I wrapped 4 of the cuttings. They are good enough size where you could cut them down more and do 8 if you wanted too. And I have invented a couple of new swear words wrapping, clipping and packaging up raspberry vines. What was I thinking????:0) I am never doing that again. Be VERY careful when you take them out. I have 3 good size scrapes on my arm from getting them in the box. Hope you likey everything and if anything looks like it won't make it, just let me know I can replace lickity split. :0)**Oh, except for the vines...your on your own :0)

Chell, I agree with Dan and April, you should not have to pay again. You might want to check into that.

April only 3 more days of school. Our kids go to almost the end of June. How nice for them not to have to go to school with the weather THIS nice.

Have a great day everyone!
    vina

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

***it's rumored that a new swap will be posted today***

(looking around for it, wondering what it looks like)

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

I"m keeping it a secret...."shhhhhh"....

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

but... but... I'm impatient! and, and, and the cats wanna know what the new swap is all about too!

***in desperate need of cheese...>***

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

Vina's confirmation number is: 0310 0480 0000 0726 1721. I know it's a bit late but I was trying to get a good root on the trumpet vine. Hopefully it will grow for you! I added the extras we talked about and I threw something else in there too.!

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

the new swap is posted! Please come and join me..I hate to eat all the brownies myself..."stuffing one in mouth"

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's the LAST day of school!!! WOO HOO!! All we have to do this a.m. is show up for report cards & have a small brunch. Prepare your self for grade & ribbon bragging when I return.LOL!!

Just 2 more baskets to arrive before we pack up the ole picnic basket!!

~Basket Status~

Linda~ sent

Vina~ sent

Dan~sent/received

April~sent/received

later....April

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

"getting ribbon out"..I'm ready!

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

My "basket" arrived from Vina today and boy, she had it stuffed! I think she wrasseled those raspberry vines in there! Everything arrived safely and are now soaking in their own little hot tub. I don't have any of the iris's she sent so I'm really excited about those! She even added some extras! Thanks, Vina, for a wonderful box and some new stuff for my new garden!

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hi! I received my basket from Linda! :0)
    Along with all my wonderful basket plants she also sent froggy stickers (Taylor snatched right up), Snickers (my DH snatched these right up :0) ), a froggy pot sitter and an adorable froggy wind chime. The mystery sunflower is in one of my sunflower beds. I love sunflowers and grow over 100 every year. All different kinds.

Thanks so much Linda, your basket was awesome!

And Thanks April for hosting such a fun swap!
    vina

• dirt_under_my_nails
    Original Author
    13 years ago

SCHOOLS OUT FOR SUMMER!!!Then why am I awake before 10:00??Cause my dang dog had a racoon treed,& wouldn't quit barking!I'm one of those people who, once awakened,CAN'T go back to sleep!!grrrrr...

~Ribbon Count~
    Taylor~ 2 blue ribbons on field day,ALL A's this last nine weeks,and drumroll please.....300.1 AR points!! She got the silver medal!!(to the non school age kid members AR stands for Accelerated Reader)

Brett~ 3 blue ribbons on field day, ALL A's the WHOLE school year, and a Presidential Physical Fittness award (plus T-shirt)
    Hubby told them that if Taylor gets 450 AR points & Brett gets 150 during the next school year, he would buy them a go-cart next summer. Guess who wants to go to the library right now?? LOL!!

~Basket Status~

Linda~ sent/received

Vina~ sent/received

Dan~sent/received

April~sent/received

****YAY!!!**** All baskets have reached their destinations!Thanks to everyone who joined this month.See ya over in the June Swap!!

later....April

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

And thank you April for a great swap! We need to remember this idea!

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

I second that!.."pounding gavel"