Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

UPDATE: bump's mnf mayday, mayday swap

dan_the_mailman
14 years ago

Hello, I'm Bump, your host, and welcome to our second thread! Boxes are now flying across the United States, and the mayhem of trying to figure out who sent to who has begun. Meow! Here is a list of the current players...

Becky/proudgm_03

Denise/antiqueorchid

Allison/allisonwise

Joan/ejmoore510

Linda/lindaruzicka

Deb/debbya

Melissa/hazelnutbunny

diene

Kathy/jaleeisa

Monica/ mommyto2

Heather/divahethr

Joseph/jdkind

Karen/kalena67

Carol/veeja11

Mark/markcase1964

sakura_komichi

Pat/fairyoak

Dan/dan_the_mailman

I've got to get Dan off to work, and then find something for Stella to do today so she doesn't interrupt my mid-morning nap (which is NOT to be confused with my morning nap OR my late-morning nap!), so I will talk with you all later.

Everyone have a safe, happy day!

-Bump

Comments (115)

• allisonlwise
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hey, Ya'll!

Sorry to be MIA! My stupid Internet went down Tuesday and we just got it back up. Yippee!

SO ... my DC # is 0308 2690 0000 3850 0763. That's the first box, LOL! I waited to see if the weather would cooperate so that I could dig up a few things, but it didn't. So the second box will go out on Monday. Didn't want my partner to have to wait for everything :)

AND ... my box from Bunny came! WOO HOO! Thanks so much!!! I did the happy dance all day long :)

I got 7 amazing iris -- Jessie's Song, Red at Night, Bewilderbeast, Cherry Garden, Honorable, New Snow, and Immortality -- a hoya, and an African violet! I also got a citronella candle, some chocolate tea (yum!) and a big thing of Liquifeed with a refill. What an awesome box. I know exactly where everything is going to go. Yippee!

Allison

• divahethr
    14 years ago

Cheryl, I had to keep my mouth shut every time I wanted to post something It would have given it away that you live in the same state. LOL but the CAT'S out now. oh..mayday swap I was thinking MAYHEM lol. This was a fun swap! Can't wait to get my box!

• diene
    14 years ago

Hey Dan;
    I did not mean to send a mystery plant, what does it look like while I still remember what I dug up!!
    Along those same lines, I cannot find the list I wrote from my huge box from Joan so I have the seed bag right here in front of me.
    Since my memory is shot, I am going to list them all again:
    Cleome Mix
    Snapdragons
    Mignonette (no idea but will be checking it out when I finish)
    Salvia Paradise
    Autumn Beauty Sunflower
    Chinese Lantern
    Lupine
    Zinnia
    Cherokee Wax Garden Bean
    Grand Bell Pepper
    Sweet Banana Pepper
    Gourd Birdhouse
    Black SD Simpson Lettuce

Thanks again Joan, now all I need is some sunshine.

• proudgm_03
    14 years ago

I got my box from Mark today which was a great pick me up. I've been feeling really bummed with the health news I've received and have been moping around. I have to admit though that it was with great fear and trepidation that I opened it. I've read Mark's post on several of these swaps. I wasn't sure if something would jump out at me or if he had sent one of his science experiments gone wrong that would wrap its spiny tendrils around me and pull me back in the box never to be seen again! So I carefully cut the packing tape and slowly eased back the flaps to find a boxfull of all types of goodies! And the packing material he used was all different kinds of wrapped candies! There was a nice note telling me about all Mark. I found it most interesting. Here is everything else that was in the box:

leather pouch - made by Micah. Thank you Micah. I'll probably have to fight DH for that.
    journal for gardening I needed a new one!
    garden cultivator
    drink mix packages
    dried tomatoes from his garden
    dried Granny Smith apples from his garden
    lavender starting kit in a can
    a mesh bag - great for protecting flower heads
    cool garden gloves
    hen and chicks starts - been wanting these
    cinnamon candle
    stevia plant
    jiffy windowsill greenhouse
    Dove dark chocolate bar
    huge jaw breaker
    blue seed potato - can't wait to start this
    Dyntene Mints
    seed envelopes with ants on them

Seeds:
    salvia
    lettuce Grand Rapids
    ageratum
    lettuce Summer Glory
    ornamental grass
    holly - going to try again mine didn't grow last year
    dianthus
    Rose of Sharon
    Kale

Thank you so much Mark. It was a terrific box!

• Sweet Sakura
    14 years ago

one more map before I head off to bed. I show four who have not received boxes (Heather, Joseph, Linda, and Mark) and four whose boxes have not been delivered (Kathy, Deb, Allison, and Becky). Correct?

And a question for Heather: one of the seed packs you sent is for "Gold Rush Beans". Are these wax beans (eat the pod) or white beans (eat just the bean)? I've found one of each with the name "Gold Rush". Just want to know what to expect.... Thanks again for a wonderful box! I've potted up the plants - I'll have to wait for things to dry out a bit before digging. Part of my yard has inches of standing water!

~CA

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

yepper..I'm on the "no box yet" list..."setting trap for mailman"....

• jaleeisa
    14 years ago

Mine is actually mailing today. Cliff had to come back to get it because he forgot it even after I reminded him this morning. It didn't make it yesterday, we had several things we had to finish yesterday while he was off. Poor guy, he never seems to get to rest and relax on his days off any more. But, it is on it's way today!

I'm going to try to take a picture of the new patio set under the gazebo later today, if it doesn't start pouring again the way it looks like it's going to. Yesterday was a rain free day and we actually saw this big yellow thing in the sky and it was very muggy and there was this warmth.... wonder what that thing was... and if it will come back. I kind of liked it and I think my plants did too.

The boys, hopefully, will be able to finish planting several plants in their garden that have been resting outside with some protection from the wind and rain. I've not been able to plant a thing since I received Nikki's box. We've had nothing but rain since then. So everything has been on hold waiting for the ground to dry a little so the new plants didn't drown. Thankfully, I don't think we've lost but a couple of marigolds, a couple of my variegated firespray tulips,a dusty miller or two. Not a whole lot considering how over saturated the ground here has been.

Does anyone want me to continue updating the clickable links? Should I just do the ones that haven't been delivered yet?

By the way, there have been some amazing boxes! Mark, you asked in the last thread, who was wanting a rooted Bleeding Heart, that was me :)
    Denise, was that Sedum - Angelina from your garden? I would love to get a cutting of that. Joan, once it gets big enough, let me know if you'd like to work a trade for a cutting of it. A gold sedum would be so pretty! Heather and CA just one word - Trilliums *Swoon!* I am sooooo jealous!!! Diene and Dan, all those astilbes made me drool! I need to get some more, mine don't seem to have handled winter here very well. But they were rather young still when they got put in last year. Becky, let me know how the blue potato does, I've been thinking about trying it, but haven't quite worked myself up to it yet.

I'll post clickables for those that haven't been received yet a little later. Need to finish getting the bratlings off to school.

Kathy

• antiqueorchid
    14 years ago

Yesterday was the first nice day in over a week. We did have a little rain early and then sun the rest of the day. So I was working outside till late. Anyway this is what you guys have been waiting to ooh and aah over.

Bulbs/roots

1 pack of 2 bulbs-white daffodils-very neat looking
    1 pack of 2 roots-red dahlias

Other stuff

a garden mushroom and attached gnome-It arrived broken:(
    note pad
    journal
    mini clip board
    pack of pens-floral design
    garden marker-"Gardeners Know the Best Dirt"

Thank you Pat:)

Denise

• Sweet Sakura
    14 years ago

Kathy's box is on the map! And one more is showing movement (though it's current location looks a bit odd, I think)
    Here's the whole map:

and a detail of the area still in play.

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Oooh, look at all those purty lines!!
    This is really fun, I like seeing all the surprises everyone is getting! :O)

Dan~ I got 3 bites of that popcorn! LOL Adora (the 3 yr old) ran off with it, and ate the entire bag. Darn kid. (good thing she's cute.... :P )
    I was telling hubby about it, told him about being the cherry capitol and all that....he said "In Michigan?! Who'd have thunk it?" LOL
    I guess that's just not the first place you think of when you think of cherries. :O)

• markcase1964
    14 years ago

Can it be? Do I have a package near by? A package from Deb is in Greensboro, NC!!!! That's only 30 miles away...

But... Greensboro is also a major hub for package distribution.. :(

Mark

• Sweet Sakura
    14 years ago

Mark,
    Why didn't you tell me I had your location wrong on the map? I used the first place your box showed up, which apparently is not where you mailed it from...

I guess I have to redo the map. Maybe later - it's not currently raining, so I should be outside now.

~CA

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Meow! Look, Stella, see all the pretty lines? Makes me want to go see if Dan has some string laying out, what about you?
    -Bump

• allisonlwise
    14 years ago

Woo hoo! It's the weekend! Hope everyone had a great week. It's 5 p.m. ... I'm busting out the Baileys ... and maybe a splash of tea.

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

pass some this way Allison...I've been moving stones today.."L"

• jdkind
    14 years ago

hello all

my puter crashed
    bummer!
    Hay bump my box was the first received! So i believe it was the first one sent?
    linda i don't see any lines cumming toward PA?

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

I don't either Joseph...I think we've been forgotten..."sniffing and wiping tear from eye"..."G"

• markcase1964
    14 years ago

CA,

I figured you put my name where the box landed first. It started in Randleman, NC. It hopped across the country in one day. Took a couple more days to get to the destination.

No box when I got home. I will be on a science club field trip all day at Carowinds. I guess if something shows up tomorrow, I will get it about midnight.

Mark

PS: I need to start the mad science lab going for next month's swap.... hmmmm... something botanical? Animalia? Protista? Fungi? Monera? maybe... a genetic blending of all the above???

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

"picturing something hairy with scales and fungus growing out of it"..you know Mark, your boxes can really get scary sometimes!!!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Personally, I think he should grow some sort of mushroom that has fangs and large, bushy eyebrows.
    -Dan

• Sweet Sakura
    14 years ago

Good morning!
    I moved Mark, and updated box locations. I don't know what to say about mail service to western PA....

Now I have to go finish digging up plants so I can head out to my first MAG swap. Very exciting, and I'll get to meet Denise. (D, I have a hellebore with your name on it!) And for the second day in a row, I see sun! Happy weekend, everyone.

~CA

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

I got a box! I got a box! "jumping up and down"..and it's from Allison! (how's the sprout doing?)

Here's what she had in it:
    a really nice pair of gardening gloves (nice fit too)
    metal butterfly gardening stake (this will go in the back garden)
    grow bug capsules (wonder if I can put this in the bathtub.."G")
    garden claw (I love claws, they just get in there and rip stuff that needs ripped)
    flexible garden tie (good for staking)
    3 orange perfection phlox (these are gorgeous!)
    20 mixed glads (I have a nice sunny spot for these)
    sweet pepper seeds
    red tomato seeds
    yellow tomato seeds..yah! veggies
    zinna envy (green is so cool)
    shirley poppy falling in love (pretty)
    zinna pinwheel mix (have I mentioned I LOVE zinnas?)
    giant moonflower (scented for evening)
    scarlett O'Hara morning glory (these go in the hummingbird garden)
    purple prince zinna (nice color)
    highlight hybrid zinna (these are a bright yellow and sorta look like a daisy)
    Barlow mix columbine (did I mention I LOVE columbine.."L")
    wildflower butterfly garden mix (need I say more?)

thanks Allison! I love my box and now I"ll have planting to do today!

• allisonlwise
    14 years ago

Yippee! Glad you box made it, Linda! I've also got a yellow daylily and orange daylily that I'm sending your way Monday. I just couldn't get them dug up in time :)

Sprout is good. Growing so fast!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend :)

Allison

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Meow! We have just one more box out there, waiting to be delivered, which it should be on Monday. I want to thank you all for making this such a quick, easy swap to host!
    (clapping paws)
    You've all been terrific, and this swap went even better than I'd hoped! And all those pictures you shared! That was just too too cool!
    (insert round of applause here)

Everyone have a great weekend!

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO ALL YOU MOMS!!!

-Bump, Dan, & Stella

• Sweet Sakura
    14 years ago

Heather's Box#2 was waiting at my door when I got home this afternoon. The first box was enough, but Heather had to go and send more!
    More seeds: Maltese Cross, Echinacea 'White Swan', Gaillardia 'Razzle Dazzle', Lavender, Mesclun mix.
    And peat pellets and plant markers for each.
    Also come choclate caramel coffee, strawberry licorice, and a Cinderella ice pack (Heather, how did you know I'm so clumsy?)
    Heather, you shouldn't have, but thanks a bunch!

~CA

• divahethr
    14 years ago

Cheryl you live so close that I didn't have to send a flat rate box so for the price of a flat I could send 2 boxes and plus everything didn't fit in the one. And the answer to your question they are yellow wax beans.
    I received my box from Becky
    YAY!!
    Seeds:
    white 4:00s
    cleome white queen
    cosmos cosmic orange
    queen sophia marigold
    yellow zinnia
    bachelor button
    rose of sharon
    african marigold
    black eyed susan
    lupine mix
    mexican hats
    penny cream marigolds
    dahlia
    redbud tree
    velvet queen
    coreopsis tinctoria
    cleome cherry and violet
    ageratum blue mink
    rudbeckia marmalade
    shasta daisy akaska
    snapdragon tall deluxe
    forget me nots
    balsam bush doubles
    Plus:
    seed envies
    garden ties
    sunshine man decor
    ladybug toy
    nozzle sprayer
    pens
    BULBS:
    3 blaze calladiums
    2 Madame Butterfly canna
    Thank you so much Becky!

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

This *may* not be the best place to post these pics....unless, of course, our host is a vegetarian.....
    But I can't resist. They are so gosh darn cute, I have to share!
    These little guys are hiding out in the honeysuckle bush in our front yard.
    He's brand new- his brothers & sisters aren't even hatched yet!

I'll have to take a few more pics in a day or 2...when all these little fellas are hatched out!
    I love babies!!! :O)

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

YUM...YUM!!! Pass the salt and pepper, thank you!
    -Bump

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Bad Bump!! BADDDDD KITTY!!!

Well, not to tempt you further (please forgive me), but they have hatched out even MORE today! We've got 1 more baby, and one trying to get out! YAY!
    What a nifty mother's day present, huh??

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What? What'd I do? hehehe (looking innocent)
    -Bump

• markcase1964
    14 years ago

Bump,

I got a box yesterday while I was out. I got a box from Deb. It had:

Seasons Magazine

plants:

Autumn Sedum
    Violets
    Deer Tongue: basket plant
    Boston Ivy, red in spring and fall
    a few mixed glad bulbs
    a caladium bulb
    5 unknown bulbs
    one F.M. Joyner caladium bulb

package of empty seed packs for packing seeds this fall

seeds:

orange trumpet vine
    purple cone flower
    butterfly weed
    sweet william mix
    black eye susan
    love in a mist
    morning glory
    Chinese forget me not

Thank you for the nice assortment

Mark

• diene
    14 years ago

Good Evening All;
    Does that mean we are done? Wow this one did go quick. By the way Dan, I just realized that I sent you a sapling for the cherry tree but called it a redbud tree. I thought you might like to see what it's Mama looks like today.

Boy HNB, those pictures are amazing, do you know what kind of birds they are? Where are they that you can take those pictures? Your kids must be so excited, what a great thing.
    Hope everyone had a great day, I finished planting the veggies we bought yesterday, I do much better with flats than from seed although I do have some seedlings to plant if they ever get big enough.
    Then I went to see my parents and spent the afternoon with them. They are not aging well but I still love them.
    Came home and worked outside until dark. It was sunny in the morning, rainy in the afternoon and sunny but very windy late afternoon.
    Hope everyone had a great day.
    diene

• Debra Andruska
    14 years ago

Hi Mark,
    The unknown bulbs are hyacinth bulbs. I wrote it in marker on the bag, but it could of wiped off.

Deb

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Diene, thanks for the picture of the cherry tree! It's always nice to know what the plants are going to look like, isn't it? LOL!

We've got one more box out there, and I'm thinking it'll be delivered today, or tomorrow at the latest. Once Joe posts the contents of his box, I'll close this swap and we can all look for the June swap to be posted by Melissa. I'm looking forward to that one! She always makes it interesting!
    Have a good Monday Everyone!
    -Dan

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Diene~ They are sparrows- I saw the mom today. I thought they might be robins, because of the eggs....but the mom is definitely a sparrow. The nest is inside a honeysuckle bush along a fence in our yard. Every year we have several nests inside- but we've never found one this early. It's usually when the babies are big enough to make noise.
    It was an awesome Mother's Day present, though. There is nothing more exciting than watching new life be brought into the world- no matter WHAT species it is! :O)

I'm getting things together for the June swap. I'll try to keep it tame....but ya just never know....

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

"handing Bunny whip and chair"..we just never know with you Miss Bunny!

• ejmoore510
    14 years ago

Hope all had a great weekend! Diene, sorry I didn't have any plants to send you, but my order came in from T&M, so you have a bubble envelope going out tomorrow with the seeds I ordered for you.
    Bump, I really enjoyed your swap and thanks for being a great host!
    It's still raining here. :(

Joan

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We're still waiting to see if Joe got his box today...
    and, while we're all waiting, I want to remind everyone to head over to the rate and review forum to leave a note about their sender.....

• jaleeisa
    14 years ago

I know it's been delivered this afternoon and I'm looking forward to seeing what he thought of my choices! I always get excited when a partner receives a box from me! It's almost as fun as receiving one myself! I'm going to go lie back down with this headache, I managed to pull something badly yesterday and have a horrible headache as well as tender muscles and spasms. I'll check back later to see if he's posted :)

Kathy

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kathy's box was delivered to Joe's house at 2:30 today, so right now all we're waiting for is for Joe to come home from work, open up what I know is going to be a terrific box, and post it all here for us to enjoy with him.
    Can't you just feel the anticipation!
    And, do you all realize this means we did this in just one week? Is that some kind of record? Is it? Does anyone know?
    -Dan & Bump(who is currently taking a nap)

• jaleeisa
    14 years ago

Is he here yet? *peering around* The suspense is gnawing away at me! Joooseph, where are yooooou?!

Kathy

• markcase1964
    14 years ago

Deb,

Hyacinth bulbs? COOL DEAL! Thank you so much

Mark

• Sweet Sakura
    14 years ago

Yippee! I can post the final map now. Ooh, pretty colors. Bump and Stella, I know they look like strings, but they're not. So don't claw the screen, please.

Thanks Bump and Dan for a great swap. This was fun!

~CA

• fairyoak
    14 years ago

Thanks Bump and Dan for a great time on this swap, so much fun, the guessing!! Sorry I haven't had much in the way of personal plants and seeds to trade....have had to rely on purchased things....but with all the generosity of the gardeners here and the inspiration of the script and pictures, I know soon I will be trading things from my renewed gardens! Thanks to all....Pat

• jdkind
    14 years ago

hello all
    I received my wonderful box from Kathy Yesterday! Sorry I couldn't post till now hectic day!
    Christmas tree granules (to aid in watering the plants)
    Christmas bulb ( humming bird attractant)
    post its
    hanging decretive bags
    clear glass vase
    cook book/coupons
    garden markers
    seed starting/jiffy greenhouse refill
    hanging decoration
    plants, Hosta
    blue/purple Iris
    yellow iris
    white iris
    white lily of the valley
    pink bleeding heart
    twinkle toes
    seeds,Indian corn
    cinnamon vine
    4 o'clock yellow
    blue and white single columbines
    plumbago
    strawberry popcorn
    hollyhock mix
    sunflower vanilla ice
    mg's grandpa ott's
    brandywine tomatoes
    japanese black trifle
    salvia red,nubicola
    and so many more i don't have time to mention right now. I have to go to work.

Thank you so much kathy. I loved my box! Thanks also to Bump and Dan for hosting this wonderful swap!

Kathy you take care
    Wishing you a successful surgery with a speedy recovery!
    God bless you
    Joseph

• antiqueorchid
    14 years ago

I received an email from Pat informing me that she had sent seeds. I'm so glad I still had the box because sure enough they were lodged at the very bottom. The box was the exact width of the seed packs. So here are the items that were missed. Catnip, Dahlia,Four O'Clocks, Hollyhock, English Daisy, Foxglove, Johnny Jump Ups, and three types of M.G. Pat, Sorry I missed the seeds the first time. Thank you for them, looks like I will have plenty of seeds to plant for my winter sowing.

THANKS!!!

Denise

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

MEOW!!! Would you look at that??? We're all done!!! Everyone sent/received some great boxes, and hosting this swap was a lot of fun! Stella, Dan, and I want to thank everyone who participated for getting those boxes out so quickly, sharing all of those pictures, and reporting the contents of the boxes so promptly! Special thanks go out to Cheryl and Kathy for keeping the dc#'s organized and drawing those pretty maps! (C, you sure that isn't string? Just checking.)
    Don't forget to leave a note about the person who sent your box to you on the rate and review forum. I've provided a direct link to it below.
    ============================================================
    THIS SWAP IS OFFICIALLY CLOSED...THIS SWAP IS OFFICIALLY CLOSED
    ============================================================
    And now, Stella & I can go take a nap. It's been fun everyone!
    -Bump

• jaleeisa
    14 years ago

Joseph, I'm so happy you liked everything! Did it all arrive in good condition?
    Thanks for the well wishes! And thank you Bump and Dan for hosting this and thank you to Stella too, cause I'm sure she was helpful :)

Kathy

• diene
    14 years ago

Sorry not to let this die but when I went to the rate and review for Joan and looked at her addy I wondered and sure enough, I missed her birthday by four days. Happy Birthday Joan.
    diene

PS thanks for the kind words Dan

• jdkind
    14 years ago

hello all

Yes Kathy everything found it's way here in perfect condition! much better luck than I have with ebay!!!!=)

I wanted to let everybody know what else I received!
    can't forget the box of girl scout cookies dosidoes (yum)
    bell pepper mix
    yarrow white
    pampas grass white
    rosemary
    vitex chaste free
    primrose tall yellow
    Heuchera dale's strain
    grape hyacinth mix
    coyote (ind) cherry tomato's
    dwarf red plains coreopsis
    long red cayenne pepper
    jewels of opar
    mg lavender
    diathus
    black caps berry
    lav/purple wisteria
    black pearl ornamental edible hotpepper
    cosmos
    cosmos daydream
    eccremocarpus scaber tresco hybrids
    mg scarlet o'hare
    tovarah-painter's paletteafrican sunflower jaffa ice
    bread-seed poppy
    purple pink petunia
    big leaved blue hosta
    tithonia fiesta del solfreesia
    soapwort
    lotus
    marigold dwarf french mix
    and beach chair post cards

I sure hope i did not forget anything! Kathy thanks again for everything
    Now I need to make time to go and play in the dirt.

Joseph