Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hazelnutbunny

update: mnf june bug's #2

hazelnutbunny
14 years ago

Welcome to MNF's June swap!

This month....we will celebrate (and learn ways to eradicate!) BUGS!

{{gwi:1269101}}

Big bugs, small bugs, chewy bugs, crunchy bugs, flat bugs, round bugs, ugly bugs, cute bugs, long bugs, short bugs, itchy bugs, scratchy bugs, good bugs, bad bugs, bugs bunny.....no, not really...just making sure you're reading this...

A-Hem. For the rules. (yuck, I know...but we DO need some of those...)

1. Sign ups until MAY 25.color>

2. Send by JUNE 15.color>

3. Each participant MUST be 18 years old- or celebrating an anniversary of that birthday.

4. Each participant will send to their partner a minimum of 7 different plants. Seeds will be considered extras in this swap, and will not count towards fulfilling your requirement.

5. Each participant will send their partner some helpful item in beating our war against garden bugs. This can be a homemade slug trap (ick, slugs!!), a colony of lady bugs (yay, ladies!), citronella candles, mosquito traps...etc...

6. Each participant can send WHATEVER else they want to include in their box WHICH SHOULD BE A FLAT RATE PRIORITY BOX. This should "go" with the theme- so maybe some garden gloves with butterflies, a lady bug windchime, a dragon fly garden sign....the possibilities are endless. Use your imagination!

Throughout the month, we will be giving each other tips that we've found usefull in getting the good bugs INTO our garden, and getting the bad bugs OUT of our garden!

Our players so far:color>

****List of Players****

Melissa/hazelnutbunny

Shelly/sred98

Joan/ejmoore510

Amy/dieg01991

Dan/dan the mailman **no seeds, please!**

Mark/markcase1964

Linda/lindaruzicka

*Cindy/cjcjmass

Pat/fairyoak

Jaime/ashcraftbunch

CA/sakura komichi

Jodie/Jodie

Heather/divahethr

Carol/veeja

Karen/Kalena67

Margo/smitties

Nikki/nikkineel

**Lurking:

Wendy/sassybutterfly

Comments (134)

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmmmm.....I can't imagine, Dan!! :P

Thanks for letting us know, Joan!!

Shelly sends to CA
    CA sends to Joan
    5th Joan sends to Nikki SENTcolor>
    Nikki sends to Mark
    2nd Mark sends to Melissa REC'Dcolor> 2nd
    1st Melissa sends to Jodie REC'Dcolor> 1st
    4th Jodie sends to Karen SENTcolor>
    Karen sends to Carol
    Carol sends to Margo
    Margo sends to Amy
    Amy sends to Dan
    *3rd Dan sends to Shelly SENTcolor>
    Linda sends to Jaime
    Jaime sends to Linda
    Pat sends to Amelia
    Amelia sends to Heather
    Heather sends to Pat

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

"watching Dan's neighbors milling around with lit torches and pitch forks"...ummm..Dan....

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

rotfl... oh no, we passed the torches and pitch forks stage ages ago... it may have had something to do with the skulls draped all over the yard this past halloween, I'm not really sure... lol

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

...On to exorcisms now, are we, Dan?....
    LOL

• karenh71867
    14 years ago

Lol, you guys crack me up!

Just wanted to pop in and say a quick Hi to everyone! I hope everyone is doing great.

Carol, your box is coming along! I picked up a couple more things for you today.

Jodie, I'm sure I will love everything! I will be on the look out for it! :o)

Karen

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

they gave it a good shot with that latest attempt at an exorcism, but it just didn't take for some reason. I think my two familiars, Bump and Stella, may have been left out of the equation. hehehe
    Now the neighbors pretty much just stay in there houses, hoping to go un-noticed. good luck on that!

• jaleeisa
    14 years ago

Good morning all! Just wanted to stop by and say a quick hello! Getting the staples out of my incisions this morning. I really hope that makes sitting a little easier. Not to mention they are itching like the dickens! Sitting for any length of time is still really uncomfortable, but I promise to catch up on emails from those who have sent them soon. I want to thank everyone again for all of the prayers,well wishes and those who have send get well cards :) We even printed out the e-cards and they all sit on my bedside table to cheer me up :)

Need to get up and move around a bit.

HUGS,
    Kathy

• dieg01991
    14 years ago

Hi everyone!
    Dan, your box went out last night. I hope you like it! DC #0309 0330 0000 6174 9586

Amy

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Yay! My box is on it's way! Too cool! Thanks Amy!

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for letting us know, Amy!
    How funny would that be if Dan was the 7th to receive his box?! LOL

Dan~ Your prize for being 3rd to send is on it's way to you. Hope you enjoy! :O)

Shelly sends to CA
    CA sends to Joan
    5th Joan sends to Nikki SENTcolor>
    Nikki sends to Mark
    1st Melissa sends to Jodie REC'Dcolor4th Jodie sends to Karen SENTcolor>
    Karen sends to Carol
    Carol sends to Margo
    Margo sends to Amy
    6th Amy sends to DanSENTcolor>
    Linda sends to Jaime
    Jaime sends to Linda
    Pat sends to Amelia
    Amelia sends to Heather
    Heather sends to Pat

• nikkineel
    14 years ago

WOOOHOOOO! I received my box from Joan today and let me tell you, it was one of the heaviest boxes I have received. You sure know how to pack a box, Joan (but I already knew that).
    She sent:
    Plants (all healthy:)
    Hybrid early girl tomato
    White pampas grass
    Confederate Jasmine
    Heirloom Arkansas Traveler tomato
    Coffea Arabica
    California Wonder sweet bell pepper
    Hale's Best Jumbo Cantaloupe
    Lemon Eucalyptus Tree

Sour Worms
    Garden Gloves
    black and white floral flip flops
    Kitchen towel with tomatoes on it
    Frog Garden Ornament
    Heavyweight twine
    Watermelon scented candle
    Honey (yuumm)
    Manicure set
    3 flower pouches with instructions and a package of flower pouch companion. I'm going to try some herbs in these:)
    Assorted hard candies
    and a flower journal
    Thanks Joan for everything! I am so excited about everything. Everything arrived healthy and happy. You are such a sweet and generous sender. I always enjoy being paired with you.
    Nik

• Sweet Sakura
    14 years ago

That's a great box!

I originally told Joan I might have her box in the mail tomorrow. But with all the rain we've had, there's no way I can dig those plants. I hope to dry out next week!

~CA

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great box, Nikki! :O)

Shelly sends to CA
    CA sends to Joan
    5th Joan sends to Nikki REC'Dcolor> 3rd
    Nikki sends to Mark
    4th Jodie sends to Karen SENTcolor>
    Karen sends to Carol
    Carol sends to Margo
    Margo sends to Amy
    6th Amy sends to Dan SENTcolor>
    Linda sends to Jaime
    Jaime sends to Linda
    Pat sends to Amelia
    Amelia sends to Heather
    Heather sends to Pat

• ejmoore510
    14 years ago

Nikki, I'm so glad you liked it! I was trying to stick with your fav "red and black" colors so there was some "lipstick red" nail polish in there to go with the black/white flip flops that I hope you found. Was afraid to send chocolate with the 95+ temps we were having.
    Also, the lemon eucalyptus is supposed to keep away insects, so that was your bug deterrant. I really enjoyed putting it all together for you. :)

Joan

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

I just checked on the usps-site, and it says that Shelly's box was delivered yesterday morning, hopefully she'll be able to sign on and tell us about it in the next day or so.

Amy, are you sure about those numbers? I've been checking (I always enjoy watching a box get closer...lol) and the postal site keeps saying "Label/Receipt Number: 0309 0330 0000 6174 9586 There is no record of this item." :(

Have a great day everyone!

Kat, I hope everything keeps healing fast and that you're back to normal soon!

Can someone tell me exactly what "normal" means? LOL!

-Dan & Co.

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lili & I have the flu, so I won't be posting much for the next few days.
    Just wanted everyone to know....now I'm back to bed.

• dieg01991
    14 years ago

Dan,
    Oh no, I just double and triple checked the number on the receipt and looked at USPS and I'm getting the same message as you. Shoot. I tried something new this time (cause the line at the PO was super long) and used the automated machine to send your package. I wonder if that's why it's not showing up. That worries me, I hope it arrives soon and in good shape!!!

0309 0330 0000 6174 9586

Amy

• karenh71867
    14 years ago

Hi everyone!

Melissa, I hope you and Lili start feeling better soon!

I received a WONDERFUL box from Jodie today! I'm doing a happy dance!! This is what Jodie sent me:

Rose of Sharon, color will be a surprise :)
    Ribbon Grass, variegated~ I have none, and love the look of this!
    Coreopsis 'Tequila Sunrise' which has variegated foliage-Love It!!
    Heuchera 'Venus'~ Love this, I have nothing like it
    Sedum noid, yellow flowers, love sedum!
    Iris variegated poss. 'Pallida' I love this, but seem to have bad luck growing it, any ideas?
    Ground Cover~ also has a bit of variegation on the leaves
    Hen & Chicks ~ I have a perfect place for these!
    Canna burgundy and green leaves, have never tried Cannas, can't wait!
    Pink Dragonfly Decoration ~has found a home on my plant hanger~Cute!!
    Bumblebee foam kneeling pad~ works great! Already broke it in!
    Hummingbird Ceiling Fan Pulls ~ These are just adorable!
    and
    Insect Repelling Super Band~ I can't wait to try this out!

Thank You Jodie for a GREAT box!! I have everything enjoying a drink of water (they look great & healthy, but thought a drink would be nice) I will get them planted this evening.

Well, I'm off to admire my new additions some more!
    Have a great day everyone!
    Karen

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Amy, it'll be okay. As soon as the number is scanned somewhere, it'll show up in the system. I can understand it not being scanned at the p.o. where you sent it, but it should've been through at least one processing center by now, where it should've been scanned. You mailed it out Wednesday, right? Then it may be here as early as tomorrow. If not, then Monday or Tuesday at the latest. I'll keep checking the parcel bins at work and online. Maybe I'll be the 7th person to receive their box after all! LOL! That'd mean I won a 3rd prize! Makes me feel kind of like I'm heading to the showcase showdown on The Price is Right!

• divahethr
    14 years ago

how's it going i just wanted to say that I will be mailing my package out saturday or monday the latest. I lost my wallet the other night and I'm having trouble doing pretty much anything without ID

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Amy! It was scanned at Grand Rapids today, which means I should get the box tomorrow! Yippee! I'll have Sunday off, and will be able to plant everything in the box! How cool is that?

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ooh, I feel like I've been run over by a truck, and it's all in my chest. UGH. But at least the fever has gone down, and I'm semi-coherent today. Lili is doing OK, she's still got a fever and is having a bit of trouble breathing. Might take her to the ER later, if it gets worse.
    And now Adora is getting sick.
    I think this is the ONLY time I don't like having 6 kids! It takes 6 times as long to get sickness through the house!

Shelly sends to CA
    CA sends to Joan
    Nikki sends to Mark
    4th Jodie sends to Karen REC'Dcolor> 5th
    Karen sends to Carol
    Carol sends to Margo
    Margo sends to Amy
    6th Amy sends to Dan SENTcolor>
    *3rd Dan sends to Shelly REC'Dcolor> 4th
    Linda sends to Jaime
    Jaime sends to Linda
    Pat sends to Amelia
    Amelia sends to Heather
    Heather sends to Pa

• karenh71867
    14 years ago

Hi everyone!

Jodie, I planted all of the plants this morning and now it is raining. :) Hopefully they won't mind the cooler temperatures. It is only 46 degrees out. Can you believe that? In June?

Melissa, I only have 3 kids, but I know what you mean about taking a long time for illnesses to run their course through the family. It took a week to have everyone take their turn with the stomach flu. You know what I was sick and tired of!! lol Rest and get better! Poor Lili and Adora. I hope Lili is able to stay out of the ER, but it is always better to keep a close eye on those lungs with the little ones.

diva, I hope your find your wallet and nothing is missing. That is always scary!

Dan, did you win the showcase showdown today?? Can't wait to hear what goodies you all got!!

Carol, I plan on getting your box ready tomorrow, and sending it off on Monday!!

Have a great week end everyone!
    Karen

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Once again, I've got to say, there are advantages to working at the post office! When I returned from delivering my route today, my box from Amy was waiting for me to take home and open up. And, that's just what I've done!
    Here's what I received today...

SEEDS:
    Moss Rose (which will look great in my re-done rock island)
    Gerbera Daisies, both Red and Purple

PLANTS:
    Peach Blossom Astilbe (which is nicely budding out)
    Sedum
    Variegated Grass
    Daylily - Route 66
    Fanal Astilbe (which also has buds on it!)
    Daylily - Little Women
    Lambs Ear
    Silver Mound

Amy, the plants all arrived in good condition, and I'll be planting them tomorrow morning. I'm not sure what happened to the bug-related items (the box looked like it may have come open in transit and been re-taped), but I'm glad the plants got here okay. Thank you! These will all make a great addition to my perennial garden! -Dan

• karenh71867
    14 years ago

Very nice box Amy!! You're a winner, Dan!!

Melissa, I hope you and the girls are feeling a bit better!

Heather, any sign of you wallet yet?

Everyone else must be busy enjoying their week end!

I think I will start collecting some goodies from the flower beds for Carol. :) Have a good day everyone!

Karen

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great plants, Dan! Remember me when that Astilbe needs dividing...M'kay??? :O)
    I'm a bit concerned about that re-taped box, though....

Heather- I hope you find your wallet soon! That's rough, I know!

Feeling a bit better today- been drinking lots of homemade herbal tea. With lots of mint, otherwise, I couldn't stomach it! LOL

Has anyone heard from CA, Margo or Carol? I haven't seen them post in awhile. Has everyone else heard from or gotten in touch with their partners? Only a week left to send!

Shelly sends to CA
    CA sends to Joan
    Nikki sends to Mark
    Karen sends to Carol
    Carol sends to Margo
    Margo sends to Amy
    6th Amy sends to Dan REC'Dcolor> 6th
    Linda sends to Jaime
    Jaime sends to Linda
    Pat sends to Amelia
    Amelia sends to Heather
    Heather sends to Pat

• veeja11
    14 years ago

I have been in touch with Margo, she is out of town for a few days so I will be sending her box on friday. just saw Dan's pic, he looks exactly like I thought he would, he is a cutie, looks just like a beagle. Bunny is Lilly packed and headed my way ? hurry up, hugs carol

• Sweet Sakura
    14 years ago

Hi, all! I last posted on Thursday, and I've been out of town since then. The rains have finally let up here, so I hope to be able to dig the plants for the box this week. Sorry you've had to wait so long, Joan!

• dieg01991
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,
    Well, I guess I screwed this one up. I totally spaced on the bug related item. I was so focused on wanting to fulfill Dan's wants on the seeds and plants he liked from my list that I totally forgot about it. I am truly sorry, it was not on purpose. I can certainly send another box to make up for it.

Dan, I hope that you are happy with the plants/seeds. I really hope they do well for you!! The reason the box looked like it was opened and resealed was because I recycled the box from a trade I received last month. I always try to recycle the boxes as much as I can.

Margo contacted me today and she said she will be sending my box later this week. Life is busy for everyone right now, that's for sure!!

Amy

• amelia_pepper_lady
    14 years ago

As usual, I will probably be mailing on the last day. I am waiting for one item that I want to include.

• karenh71867
    14 years ago

My box for Carol is all ready to go to the P.O. tomorrow. I will post the DC# when I get it.

I hope you enjoy what I've picked out for you, Carol! :)

• markcase1964
    14 years ago

Only five more days till summer vacation and the kids go home!

My box will come right in time for me to have fun! Looking forward to my surprises!

Mark

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Hi Amy! Whew, I'm glad to hear the box was re-used, and hadn't come open during the mailing process. That does happen from time to time, and we always hate it when it happens. The plants are doing well, and I've got the seeds earmarked to be planted as soon as this much-needed rain ends, probably tomorrow.
    As for sending another box of buggy items, I'll leave that up to you. I'm finding that, the fewer decisions I'm making right now, the better I feel. I'm leaving for parts unknown on the morning of the 20th, taking a month-long LOA from work with a few vacation days thrown in there so I keep getting a paycheck. I don't know what I'm going to do that month, and all I know about where I'm doing it is that I've agreed to stay within the confines of the Lower Peninsula so my family can find me, if they need to do so. Otherwise, I'll pretty much be incommuicado, only coming home every few days or weeks.
    ACK!!! I just noticed the time! I've got to go! More later...

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dan...that sounds wonderful, and probably JUST what you need! I hope you enjoy every minute of it! :O)

Amy~ I responded to your email, let me know if you didn't get it! :O)

Thanks for checking in, ya'll! Have we heard from everyone now? Did I miss a post from Pat? I wouldn't doubt if I did, as foggy as my little brain is lately. LOL

Have a great day, everyone!!

• karenh71867
    14 years ago

Carol, here is your DC#

0308 0730 0000 2115 9421
    Enjoy!

Karen

• jaleeisa
    14 years ago

Good morning, everyone. I am really enjoying seeing the contents of everyone's boxes! This recovery thing is harder than I thought. When they said "do nothing at all" that is what they meant... and I really mean to stick to it.... but I forget sometimes. And I pay for it. I've pretty much been in bed the last few days and will be again today. Pain is getting a little easier to deal with. I think I'm just getting use to it. Walking is still difficult and I'm still using the walker. My legs hurt a lot and they tend to shake if I'm up too much, but I'm making sure I walk as much as they say I should be each day. But at the end of it, my legs are hurting really bad. Sleeping is getting a little better. I managed about 2 1/2 hours at a time last night. Sitting is very brief and doesn't happen a whole lot yet. They took my staples out, but anything pressing against my back and the incision is still painful. I'm told it will be tender for a few more weeks.

I go back to the neurosurgeon on the 15th, and hopefully we'll know more then about when I should be able to start getting my life back. Thank you all again for all of the prayers!

Kathy

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good to see you post, Kat! Take care of yourself, ya hear? :O)

Shelly sends to CA
    CA sends to Joan
    Nikki sends to Mark
    7th Karen sends to Carol SENTcolor>
    Carol sends to Margo
    Margo sends to Amy
    Linda sends to Jaime
    Jaime sends to Linda
    Pat sends to Amelia
    Amelia sends to Heather
    Heather sends to Pat

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Am I missing something here? Has Shelly posted the contents of her box yet? I've been looking since the day it was delivered, but haven't seen a post. So, someone tell me if I've gone blind, will you? LOL!
    Kathy, it really is good to see you posting! Just do what the docs tell you to do, and as for the rest, keep telling yourself,"this too shall pass". I hate to see you going through all this pain, but it'll all be worth it, and forgotten, in the end. I really believe you're going to get better, and will be glad you did this. Hang in there, okay? Stella wants to know if you'd like her to come babysit. Both her and Bump send their love!

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I haven't seen Shelly post in quite awhile, Dan. I suppose I saw you post where her box had been delivered, and just went from there.
    I hope everything is OK with her?

Shelly....where are you? Inquiring minds want to know what Dan sent! And if it's mutated yet...! LOL

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Actually, I was the one who posted that her box had arrived. I checked on it through the usps site, and it said that it had been delivered. I didn't put anything in it that would mutate, but I wanted to make sure she knew what the butterfly house was. But now I just want to make sure she's doing okay.
    Shelly, you out there somewhere?

• karenh71867
    14 years ago

On the 100 swap, Shelly needed to drop out because she became ill, and was in the hospital. She is out, but still very sick and on bed rest the last I heard. There was more info about it on another thread, but I can't remember which one.

Shelly, I hope your are starting to feel better!

Karen

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Karen, thanks for the update.

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh...well, gosh I hate to hear that Shelly's not well! I hope she gets to feeling better soon!!

I don't want Shelly to have more to worry about than she already does, so I will send to CA in her place.

CA~ Please send me your address....I'll start getting something together for you today. :O)

Has anyone else NOT heard from their sending/receiving buddy? Please let me know, so we can all keep track & help out if we need to!

• smitties
    14 years ago

Finally got my box out today, or should I give my hubby credit as he actually posted it for me today.

Things are crazy as my oldest is getting married this Saturday and I volunteered to do a few projects here at home to help out. Why, why, why????? I made cookies for the cookie table and chocolate covered pretzels for the candy table, (a tradition in the area where they are getting married). Then I agreed to make little paper flowers that glue around the top of a toothpick to fancy them up. Again, why, why, why?????? The toothpicks still need to be finished and then a ton of ironing, and then the packing, and then the gardens need to have a little tlc. All before we leave Thursday morning.
    My husband and I did treat outselves to some dance lessons so we could be prepared. I have never really cared to dance and part of it was we really didn't know what to do on the dance floor. Can't say as we do now but at least we can fake it.

Here is the DC for the box 03080660000088961649. Of course, it got hot the past few days and I wish I had gotten it mailed sooner. I am hoping for the best for the plants I sent. I did send extra so the chances would be better.

Hope Amy likes it all.

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for letting us know, Margo! :O) I hope you enjoy the wedding...sure sounds like it'll be fun!

Shelly (through Melissa) sends to CA
    CA sends to Joan
    Nikki sends to Mark
    7th Karen sends to Carol SENTcolor>
    Carol sends to Margo
    8th Margo sends to Amy SENTcolor>
    Linda sends to Jaime
    Jaime sends to Linda
    Pat sends to Amelia
    Amelia sends to Heather
    Heather sends to Pat

• markcase1964
    14 years ago

Hi Nikki,

Whenever you want to send my box, go for it! My mad science lab is ready for whatever you send my way! LOL!

One final for my students down, three to go! I hear Monday calling my name::::: SCHOOL'S OUT FOR SUMMER!!!

• amelia_pepper_lady
    14 years ago

OK, Mark. I'm curious. Everyone else seems to know but I'm in the dark. Why are you the "mad scientist?"

Are you in the RTP area?

• ejmoore510
    14 years ago

No rush CA. Half the fun is the anticipation! :)

Dan, have a wonderful sabbatical.

Hope everyones gardens are doing well in this heat.

Joan

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Mark, here's a little Alice Cooper for ya!

Well we got no choice
    All the girls and boys
    Makin all that noise
    'Cause they found new toys
    Well we can't salute ya
    Can't find a flag
    If that don't suit ya
    That's a drag

School's out for summer
    School's out forever
    School's been blown to pieces

No more pencils
    No more books
    No more teacher's dirty looks

Well we got no class
    And we got no principles
    And we got no innocence
    We can't even think of a word that rhymes

School's out for summer
    School's out forever
    School's been blown to pieces

No more pencils
    No more books
    No more teacher's dirty looks

Out for summer
    Out till fall
    We might not go back at all

School's out forever
    School's out for summer
    School's out with fever
    School's out completely

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OooohhhhKkkkkaaaayyyyy....
    On THAT fine note.....LOL.....
    Let's move on to the next thread, shall we??

PLEASE POST ON THREAD #3size>

BTW, Dan....LOVED that song when I was younger!! :O)