Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boring24

new: obf june swap - gettin' dirty!

Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
15 years ago

{{gwi:1237131}}

Hello Blooming Friends,

Welcome to the June Swap. This month we will be getting dirty. We will be getting out in the garden, getting dirt in our fingernails, getting pot ghettos planted, getting beds cleaned out and planted, etc.

The idea is a month-long contest. Please try and update your plant want list before signing up. Then your partner will try to send as many plants from your list as possible. Once you have received your box, you will spend some time using the plants to make over an area in your garden with them. On another "graphics" thread, you will then post a before and after picture of the work you got done this month. If you're not good with posting pictures, that's okay....please post a description of what you got done and If you don't receive plants that's okay too... surely there's some work to be done out there somewhere... It doesn't have to be done with what you receive from your partner. At the end of the month, a winner will be chosen as to who accomplished the most and she and her partner will receive a prize. So, you are trying to somehow encourage your partner to get alot done. It might be a nice touch to send a "clean-up" product as well.....We don't like to stay "dirty".

As far as the prize, I am still working on it...I would like it to be a nice one so please give me a few days. We'll probably have a few mini-contests this month too. If you'd like to request a person to send to, please email me and I will do my best (boring24@bellsouth.net)

Okay, let's update those want lists and sign up.....

Comments (150)

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Susie,
    Your babies are adorable? What happened to the mom? Do you know?

Remy,
    Yes, I know what you mean about ppl at yard sales! When I had my moving sale I had a box of 25 cent stuff, and I had ppl argue over that. What a deal on the plants! Wish I was in your neighborhood!

Vic

• skohler
    15 years ago

vic
    Nothing happened to the mom the lady I got them from raises them & Ducklings Unlike Birds can eat on their own as soon as they are hatched . just like baby chicks .

OK So As for the swap Not as Many showed as said they were going to be there Mostly Unpredictiable weather BUT IT WAS WONDERFUL . & Gas prices but I think many thought it was going to be hot & muggy when in fact we were in the shade & the wind came up a few times :(
    & Blew things around :)

there was proble 10 of the DG & GW members & then
    maybe 15-20 from around the area a few stopped to know if they could buy plants :)

Small Group but I will just say this :) I was not at all disappointed these guy's & gal's were really & trully
    great Folks & I think My Sister was very Impressed For she ended up with more plants then she had room for & for the 1st time really could not speak she was in awe:)

We had a wonderful picnic lunch together with great food.
    & then it was time to share I took a trailer full of plants & believe it or not I only came home with maybe 40-50 plants have not counted yet :)))

As for pictures I forgot my cam but wigglypaw Had her's & so as soon as she sends them to me I will send you the link for them .

Got a big mess out on the deck had another heavy rain & high winds last night many of my plants got dumped over so I have much to clean up & get my new plants in the ground :)

Have a great day Shirley & Marie I will try to work on your boxes today & get them out tomorrow :)

susie

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Susie,
    I'm glad you had a good day at the swap, I've never been to one and hope I can find one in my area (well, maybe for next yr when I can take some things with me to swap LOL)
    I think it would be fun to meet some GW ppl in person!

We had my son's 3rd b-day party today! He just loved it, I think he thought it was Christmas again!

Have a nice day/night everyone!

Vic

• llbean
    15 years ago

HI everyone. Sorry to be away awhile. I had some family up from Alabama and they stayed a bit longer than expected. They were scheduled to leave Thursday but then they stayed a few extra days. Ahhh. Tomorrow my bestest girl-friend is coming up from Peoria for the night. She is originally from MI. But then moved out of state when she got married. I am so excited to see her, as well as we are going to see Sex and the City which we both swore we wouldn't see without each other. When we were in under-grad school we would always get together to watch it and then laugh til we almost peed our pants at how silly their lives were. So needless to say I am very excited to see it.

Shirley~
    Please email me and tell me how much for postage and what I owe you for that AWESOME watering can. I can't believe you found one. While my family was in town we went to two estate sales and a gizillion garage sales and I wasn't very lucky at finding anything good. But my Uncle (he's a spry 80) found a ton. It was great we had a nice time.
    The weather here has been awful. We had huge thunderstorms and high winds the last two days. Our neighbors tree fell (near my pumpkins, thank goodness it was a miss).
    For those of you who don't know, my dad and I get into a friendly family match to see who can grow the biggest pumpkin. We buy the seeds from Don Lavengine (sp) and pay a small fortune for about 5 seeds per pack. So this year I assumed it ws going to be a warm summer like last year (early). So I started the seeds the end April, they were up adn 6 leaves by Mother's day, gave themto my dad and I kept one well the very next night FROST!!! So I started a second set, gave them to him and then RABBITS! AHHH so then I had to revert to desp. measures, I had to pull some of my Atlantic Dill seeds from my previous pumpkins. So needless to say we have three heavy hitters (they were over 1000 lbs) and the rest are Atlantic Dill seeds. Even though I am of course rooting for myself, I told my father I would give him my full bin of rotted compost to get him going. My pumpkins don't get as much light as his and even though my last years guy was big (275) he beat me with all his sunlight with a whopping 400 pounder. So this year our goal for his place is to get a 600 pounder so Max can fit into it. I know we can do it, I hope. I am hoping that my composted leaves from last fall and all the grass clippings will get him up in that range. Besides the fact that as the pumpkins (1 per vine) mature they take 155 gal. of water per plant per day!! Isn't that insane. Well off my pumpkin soap box.
    I can't wait to see what you all do with your gardens. This year I have swore to improve my front bed, but I am just not sure what the heck it needs. I think I am going to try to get some Monarda off the plant exchange and try to go from light pink to red and scarlet and make it kinda progressive. Then look for something in a cool bright yellow color just to throw it all out of whack.
    Well I guess I have kept you all long enough. I hope you are all well and that your gardens are growing well.
    PS.
    Remy did everything take?

Laura

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Hi Girls! I hope everyone has had a great weekend.

Boy, I wish I was Remy's neighbor!! Wow, I'd love to take advantage of your yardsale plants. :O)

Laura....don't feel too badly about the pumpkins....I keep forgetting to plant mine! My 4 year old reminds me every day, though...so maybe better late than never, as far as she's concerned! LOL The girl planted green beans in the drive way, though. So now, she has traffic cones around her seedlings, mapping where we can drive & where we can't. WHY she planted them there, I have NO idea. :O)

I'm s-l-o-w-l-y getting Anita's box together. I will have it out sometime this week, I hope to dig the plants tomorrow. Well, I'll probably point my 11 year old in the general direction of the plants, tell him which ones to dig and let HIM do the work. LOL He's a good kid, he loves helping me out & gardening to boot! :O)

I'm *very* slowly getting some energy back. I was able to walk around in the yard for a few minutes today. It left me weak and feeling like I'd run a 20 mile marathon....but I at least got to see the flowers that have opened up this week & take a few pictures.
    Yeech, I will be SOOOOO glad when I'm feeling normal again. This is the pits.

Have a good Monday, everyone!
    Melissa

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    Sometimes men can be such babies! Gary tried to back out of doing the garage sale on Sunday by himself. I had to go to work. "I don't know how much anything is,""I don't know about the plants," etc. Geesh! You make up prices, and I wrote info on the plant tags. If someone needs more info, they can call me or stop by again, lol. Anyway, he survived just fine, and sold plants without me, lol.

Susie,
    It sounds like your swap was quite the success! "I only came home with maybe 40-50 plants" LOL!

Vic,
    It is fun meeting people from GW. Our annual swap here is lots of fun. My tomato party has GWers too. And of course Maryanne came to Niagara Falls and visited me. It was wonderful to meet her.
    Lol about the 25 cent box!

Laura,
    You've been busy! Seeing youru friend will be lots of fun.
    I think it is so nice that you and your father have the pumpkin growing competition going. If my dad lived up here we would probably be doing the same with tomatoes or something : )
    The plants are doing good. I potted most of them like I always do, but some I already planted. In fact I was checking on a couple yesterday evening because of the heat!! we've had. Everything is good so far.

Melissa,
    I'm glad you are feeling a bit better. I used to be anemic so I know how you feel.
    You (and Vic) are always welcome to stop by for plants. I know its a long drive, lol.
    Too funny! about your daughter and the beans. When my sis-in-law's kids do odd things, I have fun reminding her that they are her kids : )

My roses are starting to bloom, and I posted on Antique Rose Gallery this morning, but I know most of you don't venture there so the link is below.
    Have a good day everyone,
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Photos

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Oops! I wrote, "You (and Vic) are always welcome to stop by for plants."
    I meant to say FREE plants, lol, I'm sure you knew that. : )
    Remy

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

OH! Remy! Forget the plants! LOL I just want to take a stroll through your yard! Those roses are gorgeous! I am in LOVE with
    Marchesa Boccella! Wow, that one is beautiful. You have a definite way with roses. :O)

Melissa

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oops. Posted to the wrong thread. I meant to post here:

Gorgeous blooms Remy. Thanks for sharing.

Okay. New contest related to cleaning products (since we're getting so dirty :)
    The summer after I graduated high school(21 years ago!) I worked a job at a cleaning service so I'd have money to spend while away at college. There was a particular product we used often and has it's own unique scent that brings me back to that time. Nothing else smells like it. It is a product that is still around but may be considered old-fashioned. (There's probably better products out now) For a pair of pink "super soft" slippers to relax in after a hard day in the garden, what is this product?

Theresa

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Ooooh!
    I will say.....Pine Sol? :O)

Melissa

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Sheesh, I've not been able to get on to GW at all over the week-end. We've had storms and it has rained since I came home Friday.

I'm going to say Lysol.

I was going to post a game when I came home Friday but I couldn't due to the fact I could not get on here. Can I still post it while another game is going? I don't want to step on any toes.

Shirley, I'm going get you box dug this week both the swap and our trade, and they will be coming in two different boxes. I'm sure I don't have a box to fit all of it into one.

Susie, your new babies are cute, cute, cute! post more pics as they grow.

LMK about posting another game please.
    LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Wow Laura! 155 gals water daily for each plant! My water bill would be over and beyond. Good luck with your adventure.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

Cleaning product guess - Mr. Clean.
    Remy, your roses are gorgeous!
    Melissa, I hope you feel lots better really soon. Being so tired has got to be rough.
    Susie, sounds like fun at the plant swap. We had two that I know of in SC but they were several years ago. I hope sometime someone puts together another one.
    Jeanne

• nyvoices99
    15 years ago

Posting this for Susie, She called me on her cell, she is going to be without power for a few days & wanted Shirley & wynative to know she has to wait till power is back on at the PO to ship, Please keep her in our prayers as they are having bad storms.

Melissa,
    I'm not a fussy person, I just don't care for real invasive things, as I only have so much room :) Sorry to be MIA, if you still need my info, Please E-mail me at NYVOICES99@aol.com & I'll send it on to you, again sorry, I just have been crazy busy.

Remy,
    Will let you know when I can ship, I did not count on the 100 degree weather here:(Anita

• skohler
    15 years ago

Hi ladies
    HEHEHEHE Our power is back I think they heard me cussing them ::)) we got it back about an hour ago & don't know how long it will be back on our whole town was shut down since 7pm last night :( they said it would be late tuesday or noon weds before they would be back on so we really got lucky . for there are still many without power. I hate being without the computer .

anyway To shirly & marie I did not dig your plants today for our post office was closed & I was busy tring to clean out 200 lbs of beef from my freezers over to my sisters place where they had power , now I hope we get it all back :))
    but going to wait till all these storms & rains are over
    so many floods in our areas roads colasped fields flooded.
    & more coming in tonight .

I will do my best to get the boxes out soon .

thank you anita & I will post as soon as I have the boxes ready to go out .

marie it would really help to know how big of an area you are redoing & type of plants you might like to put in it so if you could email me it will help me much :)

susie

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Susie, I know what that's like. A couple years ago we lost power for a week TWICE in a month due to hurricanes. Not only was it HOT but we lost all our fridge and freezer contents TWICE! That gets expensive. You take care up there.

No, not lysol or pine sol.

Deb, your package went out today priority. I will post DC tomorrow when I have it handy.

Theresa

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Theresa, how about vinegar water and newspaper for doing windows? I still use it.

Susie, I'm glad to hear you got your power back! So many bad storms this spring.

Bunny, I'm glad you are feeling better.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Theresa,
    This is a tough question. I'm drawing a blank when it comes to a cleaning product with a unique scent. I'm going to guess Murphy's Oil Soap.

Susie,
    Glad your power is back. It sounds really bad where you are. I hope the bad weather passes soon.

Anita,
    Not to worry. It was so hot here too. I went to the nursery to buy coir for planters I was making. They have a huge roll that you cut your own. I actually broke out in a terrible sweat just from cutting it!

Mellen,
    Hopefully the weather gets more normal next week, and I can send then.

Annie,
    Cleaning windows with vinegar and newspaper gives me horrible memories of cleaning my grandmother's windows, lol. She had a lot of windows!

Melissa,
    My secret is to do almost nothing to the roses except prune, lol. I do pamper them when first planted, but after that, they are on their own. If one looks a bit sad, I will add compost or fertilize, but that isn't very often. I used to spray organically for bugs, but I don't even do that much anymore since I have lots of other plants grow up, I've had less problems.
    Have a good night everyone,
    Remy

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmm...never heard about vinegar water and newspaper. So the newspaper becomes the cloth?

Please, northerners, send some of that rain down here.

-T

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Wow, this is difficult. LOL
    How about Clorox Bleach? Certainly nothing smells like that! :O)

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Remy,
    Those are Beautiful!!!! I'll have to put them on my list of what to get when I come visit!

Theresa,
    I would love to send you some rain! The weather man said tonight "guess what, 0.0" of rain today!" He spoke too soon! It's raining, again.

Vic

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

not bleach but it is a liquid.

:)

• skohler
    15 years ago

well my guesses would be
    20 MULE TEAM BORAX'S OR ARM & HAMMER :)

GOING TO WORK ON THE BOXES TODAY :)
    SUSIE

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

I will guess Ammonia.
    Jeanne

• wynative
    15 years ago

Melissa ~ your package went out yesterday, conformation#0308 0070 0001 1439 4727. Glad to hear that you are starting to feel better! I have been anemic most all my life but One a Days with Iron work well, until it gets REALLY hot then I just take 2 for a couple days.

Susie - no rush on my end!

I was gave 43 tomato plants that need lots of TLC on Sunday. I am still trying to find space for them all and have places for a few peppers. They are all expermental/new breeds, from the names I am very curious on what they will look like!

This is the last of my Iris to bloom - Peach Fantasy
    {{gwi:1269234}}

I found the name for this one - Galactic Gold
    {{gwi:1269235}}

And the Bumble Bee's really like my hanging plants
    {{gwi:1269236}}

Marie

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

no correct answer yet. Hmmm....how can I give a hint?

They had quite a catchy jingle that was in there TV ads that played pretty frequently for awhile in the 80's.

keep guessing!

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

I tried Mr. Clean several posts back... okay - only other jingle I can think of is Spick and Span.
    Jeanne

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Ok, I was thinking...I like LIQUID when I clean...so then I thought, well....Seagram's wine coolers had a neat commercial back in the day! (with Bruce Willis....growl! ) LOL
    Hmmm...but then, that's probably not what liquid ya'll used, huh? :O)

Does anyone remember the Tollhouse morsel commercial? (don't eat all the morsels or your cookie will be bald...UGH!!) LOL

Maybe Scrubbing Bubbles, then? Does that count as a liquid? :O)

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

My last guess... I kept trying to think of TV jingles.
    Is it Lestoil?
    Jeanne

• veeja11
    15 years ago

mr clean gets rid of grease and grime in just a minute, but that has been guessed already, guess I didn't clean in the 80's. Vic if you are one of us, have you sent a completed questionaire to shirley, if nor please ask her for one, it helps when someone gets your name in a swap, Anita I am still trying to get the rest of your plants off, question mark means I still need to send it
    a ajuga
    n nothing, couldn't find an n
    i ice plant ?
    t terragon ?
    a all fired up daylily
    llycinum yellow grass
    y yarrow ?
    n nandina
    n ?
    b blue fescue ?
    r reed grass
    o passion in purple daylily
    w weed fritillaria ?
    n dragons blood sedum ?
    rest to be mailed soon sorry Anita can't get use to 5 days a week work. hope you are feeling well. Earthly my assorted asiatics are almost open one is orange, it is still raining here glad to send some to anyone in need. they are calling it juneuary here its in 40's snowing in the pass, I want sun
    I remember a ditty about some product where a little dab will do ya. Remy I am growing a bunch of your tomato seeds this year, tell me about caspian pink. hugs to all carol

• brittneysgran
    15 years ago

Is it Spic n Span? Minnie Pearl did a commerical in the 80's for Spic n Span.

Marie-Love those irises.

Susie, Carol, and Mellen-Boxes are headed your way.

Still need to send Gale's and Laura's and I will be caught up. YEAH.

Gale- I e-mailed you asking for your address...hope you got the e-mail.

Shirley

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

How about tidy bowl, toilet bowl cleaner?

I'm going to start digging Shirley's plants today. I believe I have a few things she does not already have. :O) :O)

I also want to put up a game, and I know it the other game has not been guessed but would like do it before I have to return to work on Friday night. THERESA I HOPE YOU DON'T MIND

HOW MANY YEARS HAVE I WORKED NIGHTS? I'VE GOT A TALL BEARDED IRIS "JILTED" UP FOR GRABS.

Outside is calling my name.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

I storms did the iris in, but this link will show you what it looks like

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1269226}}

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Lol, about all the guesses. I can't think of a catchy jingle except now I have Mr. Clean, Mr. Clean running through my head! I don't remember a jingle, but I'll guess Formula 409. Or how bout Comet?
    Comet, it makes your teeth turn green.
    Comet, it makes your mother scream.
    Comet, it'll make you vomit.
    So try some comet and vomit today!
    Lol, memories from the school bus : )

Carol,
    I've never grown Caspian Pink, lol.

Annie,
    I will guess 17 years, the same amount as I've been married.
    Remy

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

LOL! Remy! You brought back some memories! Except we'd say (instead of "makes your mother scream") Comet- It tastes like gasoline! LOL Oh, boy.....That was worse than...well, I won't go there. We had some pretty good "jingles" we'd sing on the bus. Even our bus driver would join in! :O)

Annie~ I will guess 8 years.

Melissa

• wynative
    15 years ago

Annie - I will guess 13 - my daughter age :)

Beautiful Iris!

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, the jingle starts like this....

"I've been using...."

-T

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Also, the company says it is over 100 years old.

-T

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Carol, no I did not send one to Shirley. Susie sent me one and I filled it out and sent it back to her last month.

Melissa, Thanks for the diet tip of the day!! At least that would be one diet I could stick too!

Vic

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Anita's box is going out today, DC# 03061070000429753386
    It's not much, but I do hope you enjoy it Anita! :O)

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Theresa, how about Stanley degreaser? Hmm or was it fuller brush?

Mom used to always use degreaser, she also always told me grease would take out grease. I remember her putting lard on my brother's shirts when he was working on the cars. This would get the oil stains out.

Ladies, for my contest, the number of years are too low. Try again.

Back out to dig like a gopher.
    LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Annie, how about 22 years?

I received my box from Marie today! This was probably one of the most thoughtful boxes I've received. :O) I think She knew that since I'm not feeling well, I probably wouldn't want to plant a bunch of things (which I really dreaded, BTW! lol)
    So I was tickled to death to find 3 things in the box, and each was chosen with alot of thought, I could tell.
    She sent a bouquet of "Daisy" Lollipops for the kiddos, a pink Clematis (Nelly Moser) for the baby, and a mini red rose (Karina) for me!

Thank you SO MUCH, Marie! I could not have been happier with my box!

Melissa

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

T~ What about Fantastik or Vanish? I honestly cannot think of any other cleaners! Maybe that tells you just how much I DON'T clean? :O)

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Melissa, how much YOU don't clean.......notice I haven't even taken a guess! LOL
    BTW, I never did find out when you are due!!
    Vic

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

The baby will be here between Thanksgiving & Christmas. LOL That's how much we've narrowed it down! Seriously, the new date is November 25th, but my last 3 have all been 2-3 weeks overdue, so I honestly don't expect this one until mid-December.
    We had an original due date of December 15th, but that isn't lining up with how big I'm measuring, the baby's length..etc. So, we think that back at the first of March when I had the miscariage, that it was possibly twins...and I only lost one.
    My midwife says that there is no way to know for sure (I refuse any invasive tests beyond ultrasound), so we'll just see when this one decides to pop out. If it's earlier, then we know. The only thing we know for sure is that it doesn't have a winkie. LOL
    It'll be my luck that I'll carry PAST Christmas....I seem to have the gestation period of an elephant. UGH. LOL

Okay...was that TMI?? :O)

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Melissa,

Wow, I'm sorry for your miscarriage. I didn't know about that. I'm sure if that is the case about the twin then it will come with mixed emotions for you. And I hope you don't deliver late. My last child came 2 weeks late and only because doc broke water for me. I have a friend that is currently one week past due date. Oh how I empathize with her. It is SO hard. I remember going to an all-you-can-eat mexican place to eat a bunch of spicy food thinking that would bring on labor. But all it did was make me throw up all night! YUK!
    And he was due in December as well. Of course hubby was hoping for another tax deduction on the next filing so he wanted things hurried along :) My best wishes for you during this pregnancy.

No one has guessed the cleaning product yet. Another hint: the color of this cleaning product is in the yellow/goldish family.

Theresa

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Theresa, how about Scott's Liquid Gold?

BUNNY IS THE WINNER

Melissa, I will get it out to you tomorrow, and isn't it amazing what our bodies can do and endure?

I came in for a break, but I think I got Shirley's box all dug. I will take one last run through the yard to see what else I might add before packing it all up.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

A yellow cleaning product, Theresa? Eeewww. LOL :O) I can't think of one that hasn't already been guessed, and it grosses me out too much to even think about. Brings to mind all the "pee in the cup" episodes I've endured lately. Blech. :O)

Annie, Really? Yay! Wow, that was a shot in the dark. That's alot of nights!! :O)

I hope everyone is having a good day! I'm taking a break & sitting on my rump today (well, mostly...I had to tackle 3 loads of laundry first). Yay for a computer area with AC!! :O)

Melissa

• skohler
    15 years ago

lestol nafta or dreft

marie conf # is 0306 1070 0001 0517 8113
    going to the PO BOX Please keep checking
    please :)) should be there by friday .
    have a great evening i hurt from mowing & weed wacking can hardly use my arm :(

Good night
    susie

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay then here's another hint.

The LAST part of the jingle ends,
    ".....but the finish is fine!"