Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Update on Gourd Swap

Posted by beth_b_kodiak ak zone 1 (My Page) on
Sun, May 7, 06 at 10:58

By now, everyone should have their seeds. Have you started them yet? How was germination? Did you start them inside? Have you put them outside yet?
I'm just full of questions here but hope to have lots of gourds to compare for the "Giant Gourd" contest in October.
If you missed the swap but still want to try growing the Great Gourd, I'll send you seeds for a SASABE. It's not too late but an earlier start gives you more time to grow a bigger gourd.
Hope everyone has a gourdgeous summer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Update on Gourd Swap

Hi Beth,
These are my Bushel babies, I took the picture this morning.

Kelly

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

Wowzers, That is impressive!!! Being farthest south you have a good head start but that gives the rest of us something to shoot for. That fence is a great spot.
Just for curiosity... are squash vine borers a problem in FL? I don't know if they bore gourds too or not. The vines sure look enough alike to catch their eyes.

o

Hi Beth,
Yes, We call them stink bugs. I grew squash a few years back and they destroyed everything. I haven't seen them around yet so I am keeping my fingers crossed that they don't find my gourds. I am also growing egg gourds and am praying they make it. I want them for easter crafts and kitchen decorations.
Another thing I am worried about is the bushels getting too big and weighing down my fence. It's a heavy duty fence but then again, so are the gourds.

Kelly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here