Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomanyanimals

8001! Traveling Daylilies

toomanyanimals
17 years ago

{{gwi:1269913}}
This round robin is an extention of a wonderful group of talented , generous and spirited traders, the Traveling Daylilies, who when at all possible trade daylilies. The way into this group is to have traded with at least one of us and to be recommended for membership by one of more members of the group. We are not snobs, we just want to protect each other and you from any game traders... should there be any. If you know any of us, email privately and they will be allowed to get you in on their recommendation. We'd love to have you!

Yes! I finally get to start a thread for us!

Sharon/tma

Comments (102)

• ellenh
    17 years ago

Good Morning Everyone!

We now have a new member of the family. I think I'm now officially a "cat lady." DH was over a friend's house with my DD the other day. At this house, along with a large number of various animals, these people had a quantity of feral cats of all shapes and sizes. The kind that will never let you really come near them. Well there was a kitten following my daughter. DD asked my husband if she could have it. He told her sure.... if she could catch it thinking it was one of the feral kittens. Well DD went over and picked up the kitten. Now He couldn't go back on his promise to her, so.... her brought the kitten home. He called me to tell me about it on the way home. Now I don't feel right about saying no once DH said yes. So she is now living with us much to the chagrin of our other cats. I forgot how cute kittens can be. I think she's about six weeks old. She is one of the sweetest kittens I've seen. Puts up with everything the kids do to her. It's obvious to us that this kitten was not one of the feral cats but a kitten someone dumped off. Well, my limit is two cats but somehow we're up to five =Z

Paul - that epiphyllum is gorgeous!

Marea - those irises are really pretty. And no, I haven't really gone and done inventory. I think I'm avoiding it. Too depressing.

Jo - Did I hear you right that you are creating a memory garden for your mom? Looking for anything special? Just wanted to let you know that you're in my thoughts. I haven't lost any of my parents yet but I'm painfully aware of their aging and deteriorating health. They are both very independant still but to me don't look so good.

Karen sorry about the finger! Ouch!

Time to go wake up DH - I'm his alarm clock.

Ellen

Barb - Branson is gorgeous. Even if we don't get that house, we might see what else we can find there. I met with my daylily man the other day and got the quick tour of his gardens. It's obvious that his other passion is Hostas. What a wonderful collection! There wasn't enough time to talk about his daylilies in detail though.

Mary - what a nice selection of hostas from Cindy!!! Sorry to hear about the accident. Did anyone get that guy's license plate number?

• mareas
    17 years ago

TA DA! MY FIRST DAYLILY FLOWER OF THE YEAR - shown in the rain:
    {{gwi:2103607}}
    FINDING BLUE

Beautiful Epi, too, Paul! And a "Pele's Toe" rock - awesome. What stories you could tell us rock freaks! My favorite rock is a piece of fossilized seabottom from a field in Kentucky..

Congratulations on kitty #5, Ellen - I think both kitten & daughter are pretty lucky. Hope that luck rubs off on your garden regeneration!

And Mary B, I hope that all turned out OK for you & the kids, too.
    Back to staring at really blue eyes in the rain, marea

• namso
    17 years ago

Good afternoon all,

Heads up to people in this area, FROST WARNING tonight. gee whiz, frost free date is 5/15 here. where did spring go? this is going to do a number on my plants...

Maryb - totally missed your car accident story. sure glad everybody is OK. surely that black cloud will be gone soon :).

Marea, great pics all of them :). love the blue eye! - im SO jealous! and the iris are beautiful.

Paul, what an exotic flower.
    Dawn, great color combo :).

Heres the TB iris i will be digging up next weekend or the following. Will have 3-4 trades of each if anyone is interested. Looking mostly for varigated iris pallida, yellow flag iris, or fragrant lilium (no id needed)...need a bunch of all to finish some areas here. open to other things too though...
    Gypsy Romance
    Immortality
    Margaret Viola
    Rosalie Figgee
    Stepping Out
    Wine & Roses (lol Marea-think you need for your wine collection)
    Florentina (very old fashioned - i don't care for)

Also have boatloads of a no id peach my mom gave me years ago.
    {{gwi:2103608}}

Have a few extra hosta too, all single eye, would prefer to trade these for any other named hosta i don't have if possible:
    Abby
    Francee
    Pineapple Poll
    Sagae

Cindy /namso
    who one of these days is going to get back to her beloved daylilies :) Very soon i hope.

• juspeachy
    17 years ago

Hi,

Thought I would stop by before i go and spend the rest of the evening with my DH.
    Hi Ellen,
    Yes, I am doing a memorial garden/family garden.
    I lost the clematis I had for her section, "anna louise"
    I am also looking for any of the following, if anyone in our group has any to trade,(THANKS);

LOUISIANA IRIS- Louise Arny...Laura Louise
    TALL BEARDED IRIS- Ruth Louise...Louise Todd...Donna Louise...Louise Watts
    ORIENTAL POPPY-Princess Victoria Louise
    BOURBON ROSE- (Madame) Louise Odier
    DAYLILY-Dorethe Louise...Sarah Louise...Louise Mercer...Louise Manelis...Amy Louise...Lucy Beth
    HOSTA-Miss Lucy...Lake Louise...Louisa...Louise Ryan... Calico Cat(she loved cats and collected them,live ones too)...Piper Cub(she learned how to fly in one of these)
    CLEMATIS-Louise Rowe...Anna Louise ...Luther Burbank(she was related to him, her maiden name)
    Be sure to spend as much time with them as you can. Time with them is so precious. I lost my Dad when i was just 19, I still miss him terribly at times. I am so grateful I had the time with my mom. I will never regret it.

Dawn,
    Do you still have your plume poppy? The nice piece you gave me last year didn't make it, I am so bummed. It stayed green all winter, then after it warmed up, it died, go figure. We can set up a trade. Let me know.

MaryB,
    I am so sorry to hear about your beloved Bailey. I'll bet he is with my mom, she just Loved animals, and they loved her too. I can just picture them together. Glad you and the kids are all ok. The vehicle can be replaced.

Karen,
    Hope your finger heals up quick. You can't garden very well if it hurts too much.

Paul,
    Your Pele's toe sounds awesome. Our DD has quite a rock collection from many areas, states and even a few countries people have sent her. I am ever hopeful she will go back and finish her geology degree. She loves it.

Marea,
    beautiful pic, even if it is in the rain. Hope it gets nicer for you real soon.

Hello and hugs to anyone i might have missed,

Jo

• barbamaman
    17 years ago

Ok here's Luther in his North Woods fleece coat. He's trying to hide from the camera,; the weird noises it makes freak him out.

{{gwi:2103609}}

Note the TWO pillows and nose tucked into sheepskin. A luxury seeking dog.

And someone asked how fast Contorted Hazel (Harry Lauder's walking stick) grows. Here's mine aged 16. Taken late April.

{{gwi:2103610}}

And the AV I like so well:

{{gwi:2103611}}

VA bluebells just 3 weeks ago:

{{gwi:2103612}}

But then it froze, and turned the bleedingheart flower stalks and my only outdoor hosta to mush. My new pulmonarias are all doing just dandy there, tho, and are flowering their first year in the ground.

Barb

• cheerpeople
    17 years ago

Ok I'm not cranky,
    You don't have to hide behind your monitor- it's ok:)

CINDY if by flag iris you mean iris pseudacorus I have that in yellow- lovely!
    It's so tall i love it- 4 ft here. If you wanted a trade of that LMK.
    I purchased a harry lauder. This fall I plan to try and root 4 branches with the layering method. Have you tried to propagate it?

Paul- volcanic rock just after hanrdening- good choice. I'd like a big chunk. I like the dark color and the holes in it. Was tempted to sneak some off Maui but didn't think it would be legal. For my favorite today..I'm going to have to pick some very small rocks i bought that have peacock colors. It is a not polished rock.
    Nice epi. I got some cuttings last fall. They are finally rooted and growing new leaves. Any idea how long until it blooms? Years??

Love the pics everyone!

I'm so excited things are coming up from seeds. New things to try!
    Just sprouted:
    Moulin rouge sunflower and velvet queen sunflower
    amaranthus burgundy and intense purple
    cosmis orange cosmos and another(sulphurus) that's supposed to get 6 ft tall YES!
    ornamental pepper 'black pearl"
    malva
    leonitis (yes!)

Myfinger is pain free in the splint I made. My eye is fine too. My mare went back to see the stud. The parent advocate was an IEP Godsend. 4 more days and school is done for the kids. Yeah!

Jo- I'm very sorry about your mom.

I hope to get some film developed this week. Maybe I'll have some pics to share.

Netflix sent us 'hoodwinked' and 'narnia' this week. Both very good and family friendly.

The dianthus and variagated iris are making my porch garden smell so good! I moved some plants out there hoping the frost is past. :
    sagae hosta, alocasia 'odora' 4-5 ft tall, black bamboo, and calico flower (dutchmans pipe)vine which is doing great from seed.

smilin' now :), Karen

• brittneysgran
    17 years ago

Wow everyone has really been posting I am so behind.

Dawn-Love your weeping lilac, I will have to get one of those. I have a PT-2300 label maker and love it. It is portable or connects to your computer.

Jo- So glad to see you posting again. I've been thinking of you and your family. I do have one of the flowers you are looking for. It is LA Laura Louise, a very pretty one.
    I will get that in the mail to you this week.

MayB-Nice hosta box from Cindy. Way to go Cindy. Sorry to hear about the car accident. Glad everyone is ok.

Cindy-Hate to hear the Jap & La's did not make it. My La's have just started blooming. Looking forward to getting a piece of Boo. I can send you wildcat pajamas or leprechauns delight. Both of them are dwarfs.

Ellen-Good luck in your new venture. How exciting to work with the guy and his daylilies.

Marea - I am truly sorry I did not let you know when I got the daylilies. I hate when people don't let me know and now that is what I have done. I'm going to the corner now.
    Anyway before I go I loved the daylilies. Well worth the money, thanks for letting me share half of them. I could not find the e-mail about them but I think you sent me an extra one. Thank you so much and the little cookies were delicious. My DH thanks you to. I have been looking for the tiger dutch iris and you post a picture of them. Wish I had known you had them and I would trade you something for some if they are tradeable. LMK if they are.

Karen-Glad to hear your finger and eye is on the mends.

Paul-Love your George E Scott epiphyllum. Wow 12' across.
    What a flower.
    Louisiana Laura Louise

Red Velvet Elivs

Winter Encore

Voodoo Rite

Gerry Marstellar

Aunt Shirley

Night All

Shirley

• cody_mi
    17 years ago

jo i have the poppy you're looking for. i can send it out in a week or so!
    cody

• ellenh
    17 years ago

Jo - I have LA iris Louise Arni. I'll check tomorrow how big it is. I believe that all my LA irises survived the winter, but let me check. I should have enough to share but it may be small.

Shirley - love those LA irises! Just got my first ones last year from a lady named Shirley who has a backyard nursery. I have none of the ones you pictured though.

Ellen

• namso
    17 years ago

Jo- I have dl Dorethe Louise and Louise Manelis. i will send next week.

Karen - yes i think iris pseudacorus is what im looking for. i have some and it is beautiful - in bloom now and seems to be tolerant of the dogs too. but need lots more!. other than listed above, i pretty much have only daylilies..let me know if anything interests you :).

Shirley - love the pics. sad here too on the la & japs. :( i kill alot of stuff before i find something that works here. more than i care to admit :).
    oh and if Marea doesn't have the eye of the tiger dutch iris, i can throw a couple in your box too i think. they haven't bloomed here yet...just picked up last fall...but looked yesterday and it looks like they will bloom soon.

Cindy/namso

• onesherri
    17 years ago

Calling all hosta holics.:) I went to my aunts yesterday and she had some hosta that she said were elephant ears. Is that a named hosta or a group of hostas? They were certainly huge like an elephant ear. Never seen a hosta like it.

Jo, I have louise mercer. Will get it dug for you when I do Mary's vacation sometime this week.

Cindy, I want some of those pink iris if you have any left over.

• mary_s
    17 years ago

Hi everyone!
    Yes, I am still alive and kickin! You would never believe how much time we have spent getting our lakehouse ready! We have been going every Friday afternoon and work-work- work till we come home Sunday afternoon. It is really shaping up. The inside is ready except for pictures on the walls etc and I need to think that through! The outside was in sad shape but is looking better too. I planted some hostas and a small patch of daylilies, all divisions from some of my common or "no-name" ones at home.

Jo, reading your post brought tears to my eyes. You are "normal" to be experiencing these ups and downs...Its all part of the grieving process and will take time. I think the memorial garden is a great idea. (((hugs)))

For all of you that are injured or sick (((hugs)))

OMG those iris pics are lovely. Cindy....would love to trade for some of that peachy no-name iris. Have lots of hostas! If anyone wants to trade something for hostas LMK! See what you people have done? I was not going to get into iris! I'm in trouble NOW! I do have some mini ones in bloom.and a couple of bearded ones too!

I have a Stella daylily blooming! I could not believe my eyes!!!! This is zone 4!

I went to a fantastic nursery up by the lakehouse yesterday because it was cold and rainy! Came home with 3 more hostas!

Carol, I did get the order I was waiting for Sat. I will get your vacation package out this week unless you want me to wait till after the holiday?????
    Well must go to work! 3 more days!
    MaryS

• nyvoices99
    17 years ago

Good Day All,

Very excited, just got one, to look up Oh Dickie, I got it from Packrat on the LA, What a wonderful bonus, B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!!!!!!!
    Thought I would stop in & say HI!!!!!!!!

Lots of post's & lots of PICS loving them

(((((Warm Hugs)))))For all in need:)

Back to potting Daylilies, I sure am glad I had them staggered, I would be wigging out if they all came in at once.

Almost forgot:(
    Deni,
    I may ask for a week extension on your May Vacation box, I will let you know if I get what I am waiting for this week or not.

Sharon,
    I read your E-mail, I will be getting back to you ASAP

ANYONE HAVE FOREST PHANTOM DAYLILY??????? I got it from Cody last year, but it did not make it, Then I ordered it from Daylily World, they sold out, So I still need it:)Anita

• toomanyanimals
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jo, for the hosta swap, can I send you a start of a beautiful medium sized blue hosta - NO NAME? So far, it is the bluest one I own. It will not be one of the 2 named ones, but I didn't want to send you a no-name if you don't want no-names in your garden. It was an extra in a trade about 3 years ago and it has done just wonderful here. As you can tell, I'm getting your hosta swap plants together.... grin.

Mary S. - you should post that question again after the hosta swap ... " Have lots of hostas! If anyone wants to trade something for hostas LMK! ". I think I may be interested then.
    How exciting about your Lake House! Always work, but so much fun seeing it all come together.

Cindy - :o" - crying here, my Tiger eye iris aren't going to bloom either (just like all my other iris in that same bed). Must find a new bed for them. Your pink iris is breath taking!

Sherri, never heard of elephant ear hosta, but I'm not a hostaholic.

Shirley, you are an irisholic! As always, love all your pictures!

Karen, you are going to love the Moulin Rouge Sunflowers. I grew them in a pot a couple years ago and have several planted again this year. They don't get too tall, but the color is great. I grow lots from seed too and totally understand your joy in seeing your 'seed babies' begin to grow!

Marea, Are you still staring at Finding Blue? hehe

Ellen, loved the new kitten story!

I know I've missed someone, but I want you all to know I sit here almost every morning, usually smiling, chuckling, or nodding 'yes', or saying 'Awwww, how beautiful', even a few times with tears in my eyes. So even if I don't respond to what you've said, I thought of you as I read about your life or your garden.

LOL (Lots of Love),
    Sharon/tma

• toomanyanimals
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've learned that the people you care most about in life are taken from you too soon and
    all the less important ones just never go away.
    And the real pains in the A-- are permanent.

smiling at you,
    sharon

• juspeachy
    17 years ago

Hello all,

It is very chilly here today,but DH and I hae been outside working on the family garden anyways. Got more rocks laid and more good soil down. We also finished up the huge urn water feature we have been working on. Had to lay pipe in the ground to run the electric through. I will take a pic of it once we have some sunshine again.

Sharon,
    A no name is fine, I actually have more no names than I do named ones. I think I only have 8 or 9 named ones. Thanks.

MaryB, and MaryS,
    Last year I found a small hosta on a dirt pile that the county had dug and dumped. It was pretty and lonely, so of course I had to bring it home. Last year it was mostly cream with a green edge. I didn't think it was anything special. But this year it is gorgeous, it has a creamy background, a green edge, and some blue around the edge as well. I have a couple pics. I was wondering if one of you might help me ID it? I will be glad to send you the pics. Thanks a bunch.

Cindy,
    I would love to trade you for some of each of your iris, and the 2 daylilies. I will get my list together of the things i have available(I know it is on my desk somewhere, I just had it the other day)Thank you

Shirley,
    I will send you the list too. LMK what you would like in trade.Thank you

Cody,
    will send you the list as well =) thank you

Ellen,
    Same list=) =) thank you

Sherri,
    List to you too =) thank you

Barb,
    Do you have any idea how many feet tall your Harry Lauder is? It doesn't look all that tall for 16yrs. Mine is only a little guy, about 2 to 2 1/2 ft.

Karen,
    I second Sharon on the Moulin Rouge, they are gorgeous. My grandkids ask specifically to grow sunflowers every year now.3 years ago I had them grow some things from seed in their own little plots, and the liked the sunflowers and nasturtiums the best. I posted to trade for some sunflower seeds last fall, and now I have tons of different ones. It will be so much fun to see all the different ones when they flower. Many are new to me this year.

I suppose I had better go and gat some work done.

I will find my prodigal plant list and send it to y'all.
    The plants from all of you will have twice the meaning than if I had found them to purchase at some time in the future.Thank you,
    big hugs,
    Jo

• juspeachy
    17 years ago

Sharon,

THANK YOU!!!!!
    That really made me smile at the truth in that.
    My mom would have loved it too. I do believe I heard her chuckle.(smiles)

GREAT BIG HUGS,
    Jo

• juspeachy
    17 years ago

Barb,
    thank you for your kind thoughts.
    Yes, it is difficult isn't it? But, I will bet anything, that you, just like me, do not regret a minute of that time, and it gave you so many good memories to cherish. You form a bond that is somehow even stronger. I cannot explain it, it just is.big hugs for you.

Nancy,
    thank you as well. I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes, it is almost like i can feel her hand in mine, and the feeling is so strong. I can still see her face, just days before she passed, a big smile on her face at something I had said to her. That is how I remember her best, that image in my mind. I can still see her lying in the hospital bed after she was gone, but the image of her smiling at me is so much stronger in my memory. And for that i am grateful. Big hugs for you too.

Jo

• deprived_wife
    17 years ago

anyone have any carribean whipped cream or any blacks theyd like to trade?
    I think I may have traded with sharon at one point, her name looks firmiliar, but nobodys ever invited me in your group. Would love to trade some extras I have to PROVE my genuine demeaner :)
    Barbara

• brittneysgran
    17 years ago

Sharon-love your little girl picture with the kittens just darling. Yes I admit I am an irisholic. I need help.
    I'm sad we did not do an iris exchange in this group.

Cindy-Please add the dutch iris, I will add something to yours for them. I need lots of them.

Anita-Are you still buying daylilies?

Ellen-Love those La's. I have lots I have not seen bloom yet. Hope they bloom this year.

Cody-I have not forgotten our trade. Keep those daylilies for me.

Shirley

• nyvoices99
    17 years ago

Hi Again All,
    Someone wanted to see the new bed put in last year, I am still working on them:) Does it ever end?
    Last year
    {{gwi:2103615}}
    Today
    {{gwi:2103616}}
    {{gwi:2103617}}
    Anyone want to come help plant????????
    {{gwi:2103618}}
    Had to put them all in our wagon so I can cover them up tonight, I don't even want to see things in the morning, COLD!!!!!!! & raining right now, so I thought I would share a bit:)
    This new bed is FAR from done, I am using the middle as a hold over bed for right now.
    {{gwi:2103619}}
    Shirley, Me MORE Daylilies, NEVER:)
    {{gwi:2103620}}
    I should go get a shot of my new shade garden, before we get a frost tonight & everything turns to mush:(
    BBL:)Anita

• nyvoices99
    17 years ago

Forgot new bed last year, Tree to the left was my old shade garden, Lightning hit all 3 trees in my side yard last year, it was very sad to see them all have to come down,
    {{gwi:2103621}}

The Easter Bunny brought this for baby David, it took DH a very long time to put this together.
    {{gwi:2103622}}
    Still not finished, need more mulch & to add his sand box, Not sure what I am going to do about plants, I have 2 benches going in,1 is in already, I think I might use fake, but don't tell anyone:)Anita

• veeja11
    17 years ago

I hope everyone is well, I am confused I thought I was to send a vacation box to mary, now she is saying she sends to me, do we send to each other or do I send to someone else, I am hoping to mail in the morning so need to know.
    hugs to all carol

• mary_s
    17 years ago

Hi all!

Carol, I checked an old email from Deni and I think we send to each other! I plan to get your's out tomorrow too, so hope that works out for you!

Jo, I bet that hosta you rescued is an 'undulata'. They are so pretty in the spring!

Could the elephant ear hosta be 'Honeybells'? I have a friend who calls her Hosta'Honeybells' an Elephant Ear. OR could it be the bulb???? You have me stumped on that one!

Anita, Your flower beds are looking great! WOW just look at all those coolers/tubs of daylilies!!!!!

Well, better go
    MaryS

• cheerpeople
    17 years ago

http://community.webshots.com/slideshow?ID=550667772&key=sFoHVo

Ok I've spent a half hour loading the 6 pics for a slide show - you will have to hit the play button :) It opens in just a second on mine.

cat lovers and horse lovers note the last two.

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: may garden

• onesherri
    17 years ago

Oh Anita as much as I would love to have all your new plants I wouldn't want to be you right now. Your beds look awesome.

It doesn't look like honeybells. Has really huge corrugated,slightly tinted blue leaves. Gets the purple flowers. The only thing I can find on it is in Daves garden plant files but no pic.
    Which actually brings me to another question about another hosta that I have. Are there a lot of large leaved hosta that get the big, white flowers?

Sure wish I could upload pics. I can't find my software from my camera. Would make this so much easier.

Everyones pics are so nice. Keep it up and I am liable to become an irisaholic.:)
    Have a great day everyone. Sherri

• pchanggeo
    17 years ago

Hi everyone.
    Just wanted to drop in and say how glad I am to be part of this group. I see a lot of new robins starting... some saying things like "are you left out because you're too new or just not part of a clique..." etc. Nothing wrong with that, I guess, except when I look at the sign ups, I see names that I've sent robin items to, but have never received from. They'll learn...

Deni, your dahlia swap box is going out tomorrow.

Debbie, your vacation swap box is waiting for some plants to arrive in the mail. I'll send next Tuesday (5/30) at the latest, even if the plants don't come. Sorry. Get your bikini packed :-).

Paul

• barbamaman
    17 years ago

Our Harry's 8 ft. tall. He's been this size for several years now, so it probably took him 10+yrs.

Jo I have DL 'Gina Louise'. I'll send you some next year when she's bigger.

I'm trying to gather family name flowers too. I'd like to have DL's 'Annalesia', 'All About Eve', 'Jessie', 'Phil', and 'Rose Emily'. Haven't found a Marie, Marjorie, Wallace or Wally or Dorothy yet. Isn't it a shame when you find one with a name you like but the DL's a bore or really not your taste at all?

My old fashioned tall iris are blooming. I'll take a picture after DH gets the lawnmower fixed - weeks of solid rain, and now no lawnmower. We need sheep.

Barb

• mary_s
    17 years ago

Hi!

Jo, after seeing the picture, I wonder if it could be Fortunei Albopicta or Gold Standard??? Definately not an Undulata!!!!

Could the "Elephant Ear" one be Sieboldiana Elegans? That one is a "blue" , corrugated and gets big. I think it has purple blooms.

There are several hostas with white flowers and all shades of lavendar to purple. A couple of green ones that come to mind are Royal Standard and Plantaginea. Those are even Fragrant white flowers!

Have you people been to the www.hostalibrary.org site? Tons of great pictures of all kinds of hostas....guaranteed to make a hostaholic out of you if you stay long enough! Uh OH! I think I have done a bad thing....this is supposed to be a daylily exchange group!

Carol, Your package went out today. Have Confirmation # upstairs if you want. Should arrive Friday? MaryS

• mareas
    17 years ago

MaryS - you Hosta enabler, you!! ha. So happy you are! I've spent hours in the hostalibrary trying to ID some of mine - guess I will ask you to try for me - you probably know most hostas by a leaf by now.

Karen, I just watched your slideshow a few times - thank you! Just beautiful Spring garden(I love your textures & that walkway is so inviting) & kitty w/lion is memorable & the horses were a treat, of course.. I forgot their names already.

Too tired tonight to remember who wanted Tiger eye iris, but yes, of course I'll send you some.

I have Iris Pallida to share with you, Cindy. They are just finishing blooming here. Should I wait until July?

Should we do an Iris swap in July?

Who has a fun idea for another daylily swap in June??
    ~ marea

• mellen
    17 years ago

Mareas, I just wanted to let you know that your awesome vacation box did arrive. I will post more later, okay? I am beat and headed to bed. Between the craziness of school and getting ready to have the middle school faculty here for a bonfire weenie roast tomorrow night, I feel like I've been going 100 mph.

Anita, I will be mailing your vacation box out next Tuesday.

Hugs, Mary Ellen

• mareas
    17 years ago

"Awesome" ? Awesome! ~m'
    {{gwi:2103623}}
    (Gloria DID say I could do whatever I wanted!)

• User
    17 years ago

We interrupt your regularly scheduled programming with a Public Service Announcement:

12 days till shipping deadline on the June Hosta Shuffle.

Queen of the Hostas

• cody_mi
    17 years ago

what about a gourmet swap for june? send things like herb plants, vegetables and plants with food names? maybe i'm just hungry, but we haven't done anything like that before.
    cody

• toomanyanimals
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Marea, is that kitten going trick or treating as a frog or as a frogs dinner? LOL
    My Batik iris has bloomed!
    sharon

• brittneysgran
    17 years ago

Oh me oh my we forgot Maryanne's Birthday Monday.
    Earthly I am so sorry. Happy Happy Birthday I hope you
    had an enjoyable one

Marea-Oh that is bad but soooooo cute. How adorable. It was me that wanted the tiger eyed dutch irises. I need lots of them. I think Cindy will trade some also.

Shirley

• mamabirrd
    17 years ago

Happy Belated Birthday To Maryanne!

I'm so sorry for missing your day. It's been a little hectic around here and I apologize.

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
    iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
    iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
    MMMMMM

I tried to make you a cake. : )

HUGS,
    ~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• User
    17 years ago

Cody--that is an EXCELLENT idea! I'm thinking exotic spices and unusual herbs. Yummmm, maybe I'm hungry, too!

• cody_mi
    17 years ago

lots of daylilies with food names too
    creme de la creme
    almond puff
    the candies series
    vanilla fluff
    etc

marea got the box, thanks a lot
    cody

• budsnblooms
    17 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I tried posting last night and lost the whole thing, so I'll try again tonight.

I have Angie's vacation box ready to mail in the morning. The conf. number is 0103 8555 7498 1748 2904.

Paul...May 30th will be fine to mail my vacation box. Unfortunately I'm too old and fat for a bikini but maybe a tankini instead? Love the beach...any beach...going to Myrtle for real from June 10th to the 17th...can't wait.

Jaye...I think I have most of the hosta's I have been waiting for but hope to receive one more order that I particularly wanted to get to share with you...It was supposed to be shipped last week but I haven't received it yet...I will get your box in the mail before the deadline.

Deni...I will be e-mailing you soon...Lots going on here.

The picture is of the new shade bed. I have finished turning the soil and getting the basic layout of the bed. Now I will start to put new shade plants in. I have some hosta's ordered. Anyone have other suggestions for plants?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• onesherri
    17 years ago

Mary, I checked out the seiboldiana elegans and no luck. It has white flowers on it. Guess I will just keep calling it elephant ears. When it grows to its normal size, I will have to send all you hostaholics a piece of it to see if you have it in your beds.:) I was really hopeful that I could put a name with it, its a really cool hosta.

Debbie, thats looks like a pretty big bed to tackle. Will be pretty when you get it full.

MaryB, your vacation box went out yesterday morning. Hope you get it by saturday. Mostly hope you enjoy.:) It was a little off the beaten track.:)

Merea, that kitten is so cute. Neighbor kids were carrying around two little kittens yesterday that they found in the woods. They are so precious when they are tiny. Sherri

• brittneysgran
    17 years ago

Louisiana Iris YUMMY

Louisiana Iris PARADE MUSIC
    {{gwi:2103624}}

Louisiana Iris DALTON

Loving these LA irises.

Betty-Your vacation box went out Tuesday UPS. Huge box so thought UPS would be cheaper. Have fun on your vacation.

Anita-Love Davids outside swing/slide/fort (whatever you call it) that is what DD is looking for. I think she has found it at Lowe's.

Shirley

• toomanyanimals
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Karen, you made me want to figure out how to do a slide show, so here is my attempt.
    Not the biggest slideshow pictures, but hey, it's free.
    sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: My Slide Show

• toomanyanimals
    Original Author
    17 years ago

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY MARYANNE!
    It must be nice to have a birthday in the Blooming Spring!

Debbie, I've been looking at lots of web pics of hosta gardens since I will be filling my new hosta bed in a couple weeks. The one I like best had Hardy Geraniums mixed in with the hosta. Feathery foliage with a hint of color. Of course I will have Astilble at the side of my bed since it was there to begin with, but I will add a cinammon fern or two and some turtle head from my other shade garden too. Your bed in huge compared to mine, I bet it will look great when you are done. Be sure to let us know.

Anita, we had a swing set-up like that in our backyard for the kids, except the whole closed in area was a sandbox. David is going to love it for Years to come! Ours was the big hit in the neighborhood for a couple years when the kids were in lower grade school. It's gone now, took it down when the youngest turned 12. Now I have a garden there. :o)

Marea, 'Sweeter Than Wine' is bea-u-ti-ful! No, I don't want it ... not much luck with iris here. :o(

Everyone/Anyone, are we going to play the ummmmm 'games' we played last summer? I really enjoyed them, and have several plants set aside already. :o)
    If we do it, can I go first, please?

Oh, and here is my garden by the side of the road. This will be its 4th year. In the winter the snowplow puts several (Approx. 5 ft.) feet of snow on this area along with all the salt that us Michiganders know go on the roads. They also like to scrape the front 6 inches of the garden. Also, cars and bikes ride over it. Have caught kids trampling it. And it has the original clay from a new subdivision.
    Surviving in it is:
    Sedum acreas yellow flower - groundcover
    Sedum Dragons blood - groundcover
    Sedum spectabile 'Brilliant' - slowly decreasing in size
    Stella de Ore daylily - 3 plants, they are hiding the drain hole.
    Daffodil bulbs
    2 undulata hosta - they are not dying, but not getting any bigger. I bet you can't even find them in the picture ... there is one at each side point, only 2 eyes on each side.

Last year I planted annual Rudbeckia (3 ft), and they did well, several have reseeded this year. Hope the kids don't pick them.
    I have also planted a Red Bee Balm that I started from seed this year.

Dyed:
    Maynight Salvia
    Purple Coneflower
    Walkers Low Catmint
    One or 2 others I can't remember.

Any ideas?

{{gwi:2103625}} Sharon

• toomanyanimals
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have this picture in my slideshow,{{gwi:2103626}}
    but I wanted to guys to see how big
    these were. See my size 9 shoe.

• mamabirrd
    17 years ago

Hi everyone!

Busy as a bee as usual, but will catch up little by litte.

Jo, yes, i've got plenty more and would be glad to send you some. I'll wait 'till after the holiday weekend, or whenever you're ready. : ) HUGS

Same with my swap packages. My vacation partner & Hosta partner can look for their packages to get mailed on Tuesday. I know it's last minute, but was waiting on a few plants. : )

Lovely pics everyone!

I'm assuming you all are still not getting my emails sent through GardenWeb? I sent one to Shirley and Cody in the last few days.

I emailed GardenWeb about the problem and didn't hear anything back. They must not be getting them either, LOL. It's something that really needs fixed. Not sure how the plant exchange is working????

I think we should all take a vacation to Anita's house and help her plant that load of stuff in her beautiful yard.

Gotta' run.....BBL.....
    ~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• cody_mi
    17 years ago

i didn't get anything from you dawn.

• mareas
    17 years ago

OH YES, Sharon, let's please play guessing games - so MUCH fun!! Go for it!?
    My suggestion for your roadside garden is more Spurium sedums ("Dragon's Blood" kinds) since it looks like its doing the best in that difficult spot. There are several different cultivars in various shades of green w/more or less red & purple in deep Summer & different colored flowers - so if they were interplanted it would still be interesting but would also be lush looking ...
    Your giant toadstools ARE amazing & of course I loved seeing the semps shining in their duck! That hosta garden is gonna be fab! Little doglet supervising you taking photos is pretty cute, too.

Debbie - I think I actually DID drool on my keyboard when I saw all that wide open SPACE for your shade garden!! All the possibilities!! Ferns, hostas, saxifragas, astilbes, of course - but I am still in love with the simple play of light & color on interplanted hostas...
    {{gwi:1264558}}

Karen - I am looking forward to seeing a photo of your mystery hosta - picqued my curiosity big time. Those POOR baby kittens in the woods *sigh* ...I so wish spaying & neutering was free...

Shirley - THANK YOU for sharing those LA iris photos - utterly gorgeous. Except now I want those, too..

I vote yes on a food & herb theme swap - doesn't that sound like fun? My Candy series daylilies are the slowest growing things - I bought single fans of a group of 20 cultivars two years ago & even tho they faithfully bloomed both years, they are just NOW sending up additional fans.

Dawn, I'm going to wait until Tuesday to mail your Hosta Shuffle box, too. I got most dug & then temporarily replanted in a hill of potting soil while I worked my three 10 hour days - sending today you still wouldn't get them until tues. I know you're busy enough with other things anyhow.. Will send you the conf. # tues night.

To everybody going away for Memorial Day - have a great weekend, stay safe & come back & tell us stories! Marea

• juspeachy
    17 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    A passing shower going through, so inside for the moment, thought I would stop by and say hey.

We got "HUGE" rocks today from my mom's old house. We are trying to get as many of the rocks she used in her gardens as possible, we have been using them around and in the family garden.over the years she dragged home lots of pretty rocks to use in and around all her gardens. I am so excited to be able to use them in my fam. garden.I found the big, sort of pink rock that was her very first rock she ever gotr to put in her gardens. It will be in fam garden in her section and Di's hosta will be right beside it. I will post some of the pics later.

I VOTE FOR AN IRIS AND DAYLILY SWAP!!!
    I have a few herbs, but not many. However I DO have lots of named iris and daylilies I can swap. Maybe we could do 2-3 DL's, 2-3 TB iris, and 2-3 LA iris. I know, I am on an iris kick right now, probably cause they are beginning to bloom.=)

Shirley,
    Those LA iris are so gorgeous. I am just drooling. I need them all. =) (I also need to make more beds)
    I got your "Shirley" DL's. I can send them to you when we do our trade.

Marea,
    The kitten pic is so adorable.(and G did say you could do what you wanted(big grins) And I am also drooling over the "sweeter than wine" iris. I am in so much trouble here.

Dawn,
    Did you see my post about the plume poppy? I will e-mail you later on(smiles)

((((((((MARYANNE)))))))))))))
    HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, Hope it was a wonderful one, big warm Birthday hugs. Sorry I missed it.

Karen,
    Loved your slide show, your gardens are wonderful. Love the "rocks and boulders". I am a rock and boulder fiend too.You can never have enough rock in MHO.

Sharon,
    Loved your slideshow too, very pretty hosta bed. Love it.
    Maybe you could get a BIG rock and put it in the middle of your "problem" bed, then plant around it, then maybe folks won't be walking through it quite so much if it is more inconvenient.Seems to me they are using it as a shortcut, so if it has a big boulder in the middle they will have to go round, you could also put some other rocks(good sized ones) in other areas of it as well, so they can't just change course, and still use it as a shortcut.
    You could try iceplant. Also, portulaca, once they are established they love hot and dry conditions. They are annuals, but so pretty. And will bloom nearly all summer.
    Good luck with that.

Dianne,
    Loved your "hosta announcenment" It cracked me up.

Barb,
    Thank you for the wonderful offer of "Gina Louise", but Anita got me one. It was very thoughtful of you. Thank you so much.

Mary S,
    It might be "fortunei albopicta" is certainly looks very close. Thanks.

Debbie,
    Your shade bed is wonderful.Try "filipendula/meadowsweet".
    I have it in several places, and it grows the best in my shady area by my large watergarden. It has more than tripled in size in one year there, the other areas it is still small. I would be glad to trade you some...

• mamabirrd
    17 years ago

I started us a new thread...........8200 posts! We are gonna' need to celebrate when we hit 10,000. : )

~Dawn (mamabirrd)