Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new: mnf~ june bugs!

Posted by hazelnutbunny 7A (My Page) on
Tue, May 12, 09 at 11:04

ladybug Pictures, Images and Photos

Welcome to MNF's June swap!
This month....we will celebrate (and learn ways to eradicate!) BUGS!

bug Pictures, Images and Photos

Big bugs, small bugs, chewy bugs, crunchy bugs, flat bugs, round bugs, ugly bugs, cute bugs, long bugs, short bugs, itchy bugs, scratchy bugs, good bugs, bad bugs, bugs bunny.....no, not really...just making sure you're reading this...

bugs bunny Pictures, Images and Photos

A-Hem. For the rules. (yuck, I know...but we DO need some of those...)

lady bug Pictures, Images and Photos

1. Sign ups until MAY 25.

2. Send by JUNE 15.

3. Each participant MUST be 18 years old- or celebrating an anniversary of that birthday.

4. Each participant will send to their partner a minimum of 7 different plants. Seeds will be considered extras in this swap, and will not count towards fulfilling your requirement.

5. Each participant will send their partner some helpful item in beating our war against garden bugs. This can be a homemade slug trap (ick, slugs!!), a colony of lady bugs (yay, ladies!), citronella candles, mosquito traps...etc...

slug Pictures, Images and Photos

6. Each participant can send WHATEVER else they want to include in their box WHICH SHOULD BE A FLAT RATE PRIORITY BOX. This should "go" with the theme- so maybe some garden gloves with butterflies, a lady bug windchime, a dragon fly garden sign....the possibilities are endless. Use your imagination!

lady bug Pictures, Images and Photos

Throughout the month, we will be giving each other tips that we've found usefull in getting the good bugs INTO our garden, and getting the bad bugs OUT of our garden!

So let's have some fun and get rolling on this swap!!

Bug Pictures, Images and Photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new: mnf~ june bugs!

What a GREAT theme! I wish I could join this time :( But I don't think I would be very fair to my partner(s) with the surgery. But, I will hang out and chat until my surgery date and Melissa is gonna let everyone know how the surgery went and I'll be home in time to see what kinds of goodies everyone got that I need to add to my wants list! :) And I'll be sharing some organic tips that I use. And making lots of notes on tips and tricks everyone else uses!

I'd offer to do clickable links for the lists and DC#'s, but I probably won't be in shape for it when the partners are announced.

LOL, Melissa, is that a dungbeetle rolling away with that VW?

Kathy

o

I haven't been in any of the MNF swaps...can I join? What extra things do I have to do? Send first? No problem! :D I've been in 2 of the Cracked Pots, and right now I'm in the middle of the 100 plant swap, so I probably know a lot of the people in this one.

Just let me know!

Thanks!

Shelly

o

Oh Bunny! You always make me smile! How cute!
And sign me up too of course. :)

Joan

o

Hi Shelly & Joan! Great to have ya'll!

Shelly~ You're welcome to join in any MNF swap- we love new people here! :O) The only time I (as a hostess) ask someone to send first is if they are a newbie (you aren't), or if they've been part of some bad trade in the past (you've got 2 good reviews). So, I'm not going to make it a requirement that you send first. Just follow the rules & have fun! That's all I'll ask of you! :O)

Kat~ That vw IS the dung beetle! LOL! Isn't it *cute*? :O) We all wish you could join, but we all want you to get well even worse. So you'll have to join in the chats when you can, and definitely have Cliff keep me updated! We'll all be praying that things go well & by the end of the summer, you'll be a new woman! Yay!

o

Hi everyone!
Count me in!

Thanks,
Amy

o

Melissa, would it be okay to join as a "don't want any seeds" person? Plants and stuff for the garden are okay by me, but I've got so many seeds right now that some of them are going to become aerial plants, whether they want to or not! LOL! Guess I'll be the one with the "hanging gardens" this year, eh? Anyway, let me know if it's okay with you if I don't want seeds from my partner. (Gosh, did I really just say that?)
And now, I'm off to a local nursery to see if they've got the tomatoes I want to can this year! Or, is it that I'm just "off"??? Linda, leave that one alone!!! hehehe
-Dan

o

Well, you certainly are "off", Dan....!
(lol, did you *really* expect me not to touch that one?!)

Not wanting seeds is a legitimate request. It's getting somewhat late in the season for seeds, anyway. :O)

Here's who we've got so far:

Melissa/hazelnutbunny
Shelly/sred98
Joan/ejmoore510
Amy/dieg01991
Dan/dan the mailman **no seeds, please!**

Not bad for day 1! :P

o

5 people in 6 hours, yep, I'd say that's a great start! I think I'm gonna pull a Linda and go beat the bushes for more people... ***picking up baseball bat in case I need to knock in a few heads and drag them in***

thanks for okaying the "no seeds" request!

-Dan

o

Hey Bunny!

Does this mean the mad scientist can clone something? Little shop of horrors? I think I have a sprout of Seymore somewhere around here,
Little Shop of Horrors

count me in!

oh, you forgot a bug: Bed Bugs!

Mark

o

"strolling in carrying my butterfly net and wearing my pith helmet"...okay..I'm good to go!

o

bug Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Hmmmm.......Can I borrow the kitty, Dan? My computer has been acting weird lately, too.... :O)

Okie Dokie! Dan's bat worked, cause we now have Linda & Mark!

And Mark? My oldest said.."What's a Seymore?" LOL
Oh, boy...I feel old now. First, I had to explain the Beetles (and they ARE slightly before my time)...and now this. What a fun day I'm having! :P

****List of Players****

Melissa/hazelnutbunny
Shelly/sred98
Joan/ejmoore510
Amy/dieg01991
Mark/markcase1964
Linda/lindaruzicka

o
Bug Squishin' time!

Bug of the Day!

SLUGS

slug Pictures, Images and Photos

Eeeeewwwwwww. Yucky.

>~~~Slug facts:

Slugs are hermaphrodites: they all have male and female reproductive systems. They can stretch to 20 times their normal length enabling them to squeeze through tiny openings to get at food. Slugs can follow slime trails they left from the night before. Other slugs can also pick up on this same trail creating a slug network to the host plants! Slugs and snails actually both have shells. Slugs' shells are much smaller and not visible as they are underneath the flesh on their back.
Slug eggs are in the soil just about everywhere. They can be there for years and then hatch when conditions are right. It actually takes moisture to allow them to hatch. To identify the eggs look for oval shaped white colored eggs in moist soil areas, under rocks, and boards. Eggs are laid in clusters of two dozen eggs each. The adults also overwinter in the soil and can live for many years. In the Pacific Northwest they have banana slugs which are bright yellow, grow to 8 inches with some up to 18 inches.

There are at least 40 species of slugs in the US.

~~~~Slug Barriers:
Lava rock
Horseradish roots
Sweetgum tree spiny balls
Dryer lint
Gravel
Wood ashes
Shingles or sandpaper
Crushed eggshells
Lime
Talcum powder
Hardware cloth
Copper strips
Herbs- lemon balm, wormwood, mints & tansy
Hair & fur
Quack grass tea (steep chopped grass in warm water for 24 hrs, spray on soil)
Coffee grounds
Epsom salts
Oat bran
Builders sand
Nut shells
Rosemary
Pine needles

Things that EAT slugs:
Birds
toads
frogs
lizards
rove beetles
salamanders
lightening bug larvae
turtles
garter snakes

Slug traps:

Trap Crops: Use beans, horseradish leaves, comfrey leaves, calendula, lettuce, marigolds, plaintain (yes, the weed) and zinnias as a trap crop for slugs.

Cabbage Trap: Cook cabbage leaves until soft, drizzle some butter or lard over them. Place them in slug prone areas. Within several hours the leaves will be swarming with slugs. Collect and destroy.

Beer or yeast traps: Traditional traps that seem to work well for some and not at all for others. Sink containers of beer or yeast and water at one inch above ground level in the garden to entice and drown your prey. Empty traps as needed. For the yeast trap use one package of yeast to 8 ounces of water. Mixing rum extract with water may work also. Prop some "escape" twigs in the containers so beetles can climb out.

Grape Juice: A new rendition on the beer trap is to use grape juice. For some reason slugs really have a taste for this. Use just as you would in the beer method and buy the cheapest grape juice you can find!

Beer Batter Bait: Mix 2 tablespoons of flour with enough beer to make a thick batter. Put 1 teaspoon of this in a small paper cup and lay the cups on their sides around your plants. Slugs will flock to this, get snared in the flour and die. When the trap is full toss the whole thing in the compost pile.

Scraps of wet carpet spread around the garden will draw slugs like a magnet! Scrape off and dispose of the slugs, and reuse.

Old pieces of flat lumber are a good trap. Reuse until the lumber starts to fall apart, then recycle it further by adding to the compost pile.

Beer Slugs Prefer:
(in order of preference)
Kingsbury Malt Beverage
Michelob
Budweiser
Old Milwaukee
Coors Light

o

Sooooooo, what's that say about those who like the occasional beer? On Memorial Day Weekend, I plan on having a cold 6-pack available while I'm gardening. Hmmm, now that I think about it, perhaps I should put up a tipsy pot after 3 or 4 beers. ;)

o

Please count me in :)

Cindy

o

Count me in here too, please. Definitely have enough bugs over the acreage to qualify :) Could probably send some candidates for the lab to Mark......

o

PLease count me in I'm looking forward to chatting with everyone and learning how to rid my yard of bugs along with get some of the good bugs to stop by and stay awhile...

Jamie

o

"putting on the kettle and whipping up chocolate chip cookies and brownies"...

o

hmmm...should we post whether or not we use organic methods?? I am chemical-free. Does beer count as a chemical? LOL!

Here is a pic of my best pest control:

Marigold

Sorry...not including any of these in the swap! ;)

Shelly

o

What lovely hens and guineas Shelly!

I am organic myself and prefer it that way. I don't have to worry so much about what my kids and dogs are exposed to. Some natural methods work and others don't, some seem to be a regional thing. I've used methods here in Oklahoma that never would work for me in Texas.

I'll try to get some of the tips I use together in the next few days and post them. :)

BTW, Shelly, didn't I get a Clethra from you last fall?

Hope everyone's having a great evening. We're under tornado warnings here tonight. Straight line winds did a lot of damage here in Edmond just to the south of us, lots of power lines down, etc. So, I'm about to shut the PC down and we're gonna watch the weather.

Melissa, I need to email you, so I'm gonna do that real quick before I shut down for the night.

Kathy

o

OMG KATHY!!! :D We traded this past Feb. for a ton of seeds. You were wanting an ariocarpus I have. My Earl's Faux and Banjaan Roomii tomatoes are getting ready to bloom, now! I still have them, so whenever you are ready, and able to dig, let me know.

So good to "see" you! Everything you sent is coming up great. Can't wait to trade again. Hope your surgery goes well!

Shelly

o

LOL, I knew we'd done some sort of trade, Shelly! I'm still wanting that Ariocarpus, but right now I'm way too soggy to be able to dig. I'll have to see what I might have ready that you might be interested in. After almost a solid three weeks of rain and harsh winds, my beds are looking rather sad. Let me dry up a bit and see what perks and we'll work the rest of that trade out :)

I'm so happy that you found the MNF group! It's a wonderful bunch of folks and I've made many friends here! I hope you enjoy your first swap with us!

Thanks for the good wishes on the surgery as well. It's getting close... 12 days and counting. About this time on the 26th, I will actually be in the OR, my surgery starts at 8:30 that morning. I'm getting a little edgy and anxious, but holding it together thanks to my family both here at home and here on GW. Everyone has been such a great support to me.

More rain here again today. Tornados last night whirling all around us, but none here, thankfully. I am so ready for a couple of dry days!

Kathy

o

Mmmmmm....Chicken....
:P

Welcome to Cindy, Jaime & Pat! So glad to have all of ya'll!

I hope everyone has had a great week so far! Mine...not so much, but I'm hanging in there. :O)
Yesterday was pushing my limits, I think. Went down south for my uncle's funeral (it's only 50 or so miles south of here) and halfway there, the sway bar broke on the Suburban. Not a big deal in-and-of itself...as far as car repairs go...but when you're doing 60+ on the interstate, with 6 kiddos in the truck...yeah, you get a little boogered.
At least it wasn't something more dangerous- that's plenty bad, though.
ANYWAY...I finished the trip down there, and my daddy had to piece together the truck so I could get everyone home safely. No interstate travel on the way back, though. LOL Just took every back road imaginable and prayed the "southern ingenuity" would hold. (i.e....duct tape...) :O)
It did, and here we are...but without a vehicle..AGAIN..
*sigh*
Just gotta laugh about it, though. My uncle would've thought it was hilarious. He was a ornery guy. LOL

Ok...so here's our list so far, and WOW...is it lookin' great!
Dan & Linda~ Why don't ya'll go shake a few more bushes, would ya? I know there's more folks out there!

****List of Players****

Melissa/hazelnutbunny
Shelly/sred98
Joan/ejmoore510
Amy/dieg01991
Mark/markcase1964
Linda/lindaruzicka
Cindy/cjcjmass
Pat/fairyoak
Jaime/ashcraftbunch

o

*lurking and figuring out my budget... :P

Hugs ya'll!

~Wendy

o

OMG! I'm so glad ya'll made it home alright, Melissa! Goodness!!

Ya know, I was just thinking.... Shelly, you are right in between Melissa and I. How cool is that?!

Alright, I'm gonna head off to cook dinner (chicken stirfry!)and corral bratlings with homework and chores. Then we're gonna watch movies while having dinner. We picked up the new Underworld movie, the Benjamin Buttons movie and Taken. Probably have some fresh popped cheddar popcorn later in the evening with the movies :)

Have a great evening, all!!

Kathy

o

Really, Kat? Shelly's right between us? That is cool!
Where exactly ARE you, Shelly? LOL I haven't a clue! :O)

Kat~ Can I come over for dinner? That sounds yummy. And the movies sound good, too. :P

Wendy....Come on...ya KNOW you want to play with us....!

o

You know you're welcome any time! It's sure smelling good in here too!

I'll let Shelly say where she lives, if she likes :) But she's like two hours from me and three from you.

Kathy

o

I've been having trouble posting here, so I'm giving it one more try. Don't know what the problem is/was. Anyway, count me in, please.

~CA

o

Melissa-where are you? I'm in Bixby. Is that far from you?

Shelly

o

Rain,rain, and more rain. sigh
So far, 4 of my tomato plants have died from too much water!
Sunshine, where are you?
Joan

o

Joan, I started putting a clear plastic tarp as a floating row cover over mine. I made sure it went well over the sides and didn't touch the foliage to where it kept some of the rain off. I know it still soaks the ground, but it seemed to help some after the 7th day of heavy rains here. The ones I covered aren't nearly as water logged as the ones further in the bed that I didn't. Perhaps it will help you too. Have to be careful though when you get those first days of sun after so much rain. I changed out my clear row covered for thin, opaque cream colored umbrellas to keep them from frying.

Pest Tip:

Ants do not like cinnamon, sprinkle it in their paths or over their hills, and they will leave.

Ants cannot digest cornmeal. Sprinkle this in their path or over their hills and they will carry it back to the queen, who will eat it and ...well... explode. No queen, no colony.

Both, I have found, work. We have, oddly, had an invasion of fire ants this year and both methods have been very helpful in driving them from my yard without resorting to chemicals. They also do not like vinegar. Find stray ones, spray them with vinegar or glass cleaner and they will usually avoid those routes.

I'm including a link that will help you learn what good insects hunt which pests and what you can plant to encourage the good insects :)

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Attracting Beneficial Insects to the garden

o

Shelly, that's only a scooch more than 100 miles from me! I'm between Tontitown & Siloam Springs.

Kat~ We might have to meet at Shelly's house for lunch sometime! LOL So far, the closest GW'ers to me are around 100 miles away. So close, yet so far! :P
Well, Melinda is a bit closer. Just barely, though! Hopefully, she'll get to drop by soon. I still owe her some daylilies!

****List of Players****

Melissa/hazelnutbunny
Shelly/sred98
Joan/ejmoore510
Amy/dieg01991
Mark/markcase1964
Linda/lindaruzicka
Cindy/cjcjmass
Pat/fairyoak
Jaime/ashcraftbunch
CA/sakura komichi

**Lurking:
Wendy/sassybutterfly

Be back in a bit with our BUG OF THE DAY!

o
Bug squishin' time!

BUG OF THE DAY!

ANTS

ant Pictures, Images and Photos

Unfortunately, in real life...they aren't that cute.
Here's a run-down of all things ANT:

~~~Ants are among the most prevalent pests in households. They are also found in restaurants, hospitals, offices, warehouses, and other buildings where they can find food and water. On outdoor (and sometimes indoor) plants, ants protect and care for honeydew-producing insects such as aphids, soft scales, whiteflies, and mealybugs, increasing damage from these pests. Ants also perform many useful functions in the environment, such as feeding on other pests (e.g., fleas, caterpillars, termites), dead insects, and decomposing tissue from dead animals.

~~Inside buildings, household ants feed on sugars, syrups, honey, fruit juice, fats, and meat. Long trails of thousands of ants may lead from nests to food sources, causing considerable concern among building occupants. Outdoors they are attracted to honeydew, produced by soft scales, mealybugs, and aphids. This liquid excrement contains sugars, and other nutrients. Frequently outbreaks of scales and aphids occur when ants tend them for honeydew because the ants protect scales and aphids from their natural enemies.

~~~Getting rid of the buggers:

-Plug all points of entry with Petroleum Jelly.
-Sprinkle ant trails with cinnamon.
-Use bait traps: Mix three parts peanut butter with two parts jelly and add one tablespoon of boric acid per six ounces of mix. Place the bait on pieces of paper so stuff it into large straws and place where you see the ants foraging. Keep out of the reach of pets and children.
-Get the good guys on your side: Groundbeetles, humpback flies, parasitic wasps, praying mantids and the yellow-shafted flicker all dine on ants. Woodpeckers are voracious ant eaters.
-Here is something interesting: it is said if you take a shovelful of ants from one hill or nest and put it in another ant hill then take a shovelful from that hill and put it where you took the first one the ants will then wage war on one another and do themselves in!
-Catnip, pennyroyal, peppermint, sage, and spearmint. You can grow these as barriers in the garden, or sprinkle the leaves wherever you have ants. Tansy, which is often recommended as an ant repellant, may only work on sugar type ants. These are the ones that you see on peonies and marching into the kitchen.
TANSY IS TOXIC TO MOST ANIMALS! USE CAUTION!
-Vinegar sprays in and around the hose foundation will repel ants. Keep way from the soil and concrete. Lemon juice concentrate can also be used: mix 50/50 with water and spray.
-Ants will not walk through a line of talcum powder or chalk dust. Diatomaceous earth may also be used as a barrier in and out of the household.
-Distribute cucumber parings as a repellant. Cucumbers contain a compound known as "trans-2-nonenal" that repels ants as well as cockroaches!
-Try sprinkling some of those instant grits around the nests. See what happens!

For FIRE ANTS: Pour half a cup of Epsom salts into the nest and all around it.

-Pour apple cider vinegar down entrance holes to the nest.
-Douse the nests with boiling water several times. Cruel and can be effective.
-Use equal parts of sugar and baking powder. Place around ant infested area and nests.

-

o

Oh, my poor auntie! Vinegar, epson salt, dowsing her with sugar and baking powder, wasting grits like that!

o

*sniff*
You're right, Mark...
That IS a waste of perfectly yummy grits...
:O(

Not to mention that the sugar would be better off in a big tall glass of sweet tea.
Mmmmmm....

o

This is going to be a long weekend. Stella is in heat for the first time, and doesn't know what's going on. (Her surgery is scheduled for Tuesday morning) Bump, who has already been neutered, is just now realizing what it all means, and is trying his best to get her to stand still so he can do his thing. So, between the chases, fighting, crooning, and smirks on Bump's face, it's already been a long afternoon. Yee. Haw. I'm just glad the weather's cooperating, and I'll be able to spend most of the weekend outside. Yeah. Yippee. Surrounded by every tomcat in the neighborhood.
Things could be worse though. If Bump wasn't already neutered, there'd be kittens on the way.

Is it Tuesday yet?

-Dan, father of the frisky felines

o

LOL! Poor Dan! And poor Bump and Stella! Just imagine the serenades you'll have the next few nights, Dan! They should be really loud and screechy. I'd bet you won't have to worry about bad bugs being around with that! They'll run to others yards to escape! Hehe!

Kathy ~ Ducking away to the kitchen to cook a ham for dinner and avoid the swat surely coming her way now!

o

Hey-I would LOVE some visitors! LOL! We should get together this summer. I've got a pool and 15 acres to putter around on. And about 40 nosy/noisy chickens! LOL!

Shelly

o
swatting Kat with kitchen towel on the behind as she goes by

hey! what about the bugaloos? anyone ever watch them?

-Dan (putting Stella into an overnight express box so Kathy can babysit this weekend)

o
RE: new: mnf~ june bugs! visit

Well, it would have to be around fall for me, at earliest. After the surgery, there's going to be a solid month where I won't be able to do much of anything but learn to walk with all of my vertebra lined back up the way they're suppose to be. Then I get to learn to bend :P It should take me about three months or so to be back into some kind of reasonably mobile and reasonably comfortable state. Healing time on this is a year. But within three months I should be in a LOT less pain and be able to move around better. This is what the doctors are telling me and what I'm learning from a few support websites and what a friend, who had the same surgery (even the same area!) two months ago.

Wendy, is that about consistent with what you found with your son's surgery?

I'd love for the three of us to be able to get together! I think it would be great fun! LOL, and we could see Cliff's uncle at the same time, he lives in Bixby too. But, for me that trip will have to wait a while until I can be comfortable riding in a car and moving around following the surgery.

Kathy~ Waiting for Cliff to get back from picking kids up to lift the ham for her :(

o

ROFL!
I don't know whether to laugh at Dan's situation....or feel sorry for him!
Would my tears of laughter count towards tears of empathy?? :O)
Yeeeck, I can imagine the chaos right now. Poor frustrated Bump!!
*giggle*
If it makes you feel better, Dan...our neighbor's horses are twitterpated, too. Much MUCH more interesting than cats, lemme tell ya.
*immature giggle*

15 acres AND a pool, Shelly?? Wowie! That sounds like heaven to me. I haven't been in a pool since I was 13! (last day of school, took a trip to the state park...got my first kiss that day, too! Loads of memories, there! Ah..those innocent times....LOL)
*dragging my mind back into the present*
ANYWAY.
Yes, sirreee...that sounds like fun! We might should wait for Kathy, though...just wouldn't be fun without her! We might have to have a fall bulb digging/planting party!
And I could swing up to the Tulsa area to afterwards to see my brother & his family.
Yep, sounds great to me! :O)

o

Oooh! Sounds like a done deal to me! :D Anyone else in the NE OK area, just let me know! Melissa, I am in the middle of moving my DD and her fiance from Bella Vista to Bixby. I bet I go right by where you live! LOL! I loved going to Mary Maestri's in Tontitown. Went to a spaghetti festival there, too. YUM!

Shelly

o
cartoon

***this too, shall pass...this too, shall pass...this too, shall pass...this too, shall pass...this too, shall pass...this too, shall pass...this too, shall pass...this too, shall pass...this too, shall pass...this too, shall pass...this too, shall pass...this too, shall pass...this too, shall pass...this too, shall pass***

o

Hey Shelly, I noticed you mentioned on another thread that you'd like some things for your pond area and perhaps a rock garden area? Shoot me an email and we'll see what we can come up with. I know I have seed for some pond/bog plants that I won't be using this year since my little 'stream' to connect all of my themed beds is put off for at least another year. I may have some things for the rocky area too.

You two don't hold off waiting for me if you want to get together! I will be there for the first one I feel up to it after the surgery if I can get there, you can bank on that one!

Dan, it'll pass... it will pass... after Tuesday, which, I might point out is 4 days away :P LOL

Melissa, I remember horses at mating time! OMG! It's noisy, and seems rather painful, but as I got older, it become somewhat amusing. Does that make me a sick person??

Kathy

o

Kathy, it isn't that which makes you a sick person, but it is on the list. hehehe

o

• Posted by jodie michigan (My Page) on
    Sat, May 16, 09 at 0:03

Hi I"d like to join your swap. Thanks Jodie

o

Cat Update: Cats-1, Dan-0
Stella is still trotting out her wares, though the windows are closed up today, the high is only 55 today, and it's definitely not there yet. Bump is looking smugly satisfied, might have something to do with all the yowling that went on last night. I count 3 tomcats outside, and the coffee isn't really helping to clear the bleariness out of my eyes.
Again, I say it. Yee. Haw.

o

LOL, Poor Dan!! I bet you're really wishing hard for Tuesday at this point!

Hello, Jodie! Tell us a bit about yourself :) This is a wonderful, fun loving group. Pay no mind to Dan right now, he's suffering from young female cat in heat and waiting til Tuesday to be able to have her spayed. ERm.... or at least I think that's what it is rather than way too much personal info about either himself or his neighbors....LOL!

Dan, make stronger coffee and down it faster... it only burns for a moment the first time :P

We had really heavy storms here last night. I asked Cliff if he reserved our place on the ark. We literally had a white water river in the street, washing well over the curb. Friends that came over to visit had to leave early to be sure of making it home safely, even on city streets. Though I hated to see them leave so early, at the same time I was a little relieved. I was very tired. Going to go outside in a little bit to see how much wind damage there is, it was sure howling. No tornadoes nearby this time that I know about yet. But I'm sure there are at lease smaller branches down that the boys are going to have to pick up.

My older sons are coming over for a few hours this weekend to help finish getting everything into the ground for me before my surgery, and to help weed those blasted tree seedlings out of my gardens. All the rain and humidity have aided them in sprouting faster than I can pull them. Don't even know what kind of tree it is, though it has a maple looking true leaf. The seeds are papery and round. I'd love to cut that tree down, wherever it is in the neighborhood. It was my bane last year too. Blasted thing is worse than the Bermuda grass, if you can imagine! Thankfully, it's seed release should be over, going by last year, so hopefully we can get them all out of the beds without damaging too many of my veggies. They decided to sow rather thickly among my broccoli and herbs. What's really irritating is that I have to let some of them get up in size some before pulling them because the seedling leaves look exactly like marigold seedling leaves. It's hard to tell the difference until they both get a set of true leaves, that's when you can make the distinction. And the blasted things have already killed off my shallots and bunching onions. Don't suppose anyone has more seed for those? I'm out and really wanted my scallions and bunching onions this year. If no one here has any, I'll post on the seed side to see about finding some.

And I need to post on the plant forum too because the last hard storms we had that threw things around also ripped each and every piece of all three of my Wandering Jews (Tradescantia pallida, Tradescantia zebrina, and Tradescantia fluminensis) out of my pots and I'm still trying to find still T. spathacea (Moses in a Basket/Oyster Plant)- didn't have this one before the storms and was trying to find a trade for it. Mind you, we found a few little sad looking pieces on the ground and repotted them, but I think the high winds dried them too much and they are all dying. The other pieces are probably happily taking root in neighborhood yards. It's really irritating because 1. I didn't think the winds would literally rip out EVERY piece and 2. We had not been forecast for such high winds (Yeah, like that matters, especially in Oklahoma!) but we had gusts up to 75 mph. We'd been forecast for 20-35 mph, and my plants on and in the gazebo have always been fine in the past below 45-50 mph. So, I left them out rather than having everyone go out in the downpour to bring them in. My Wandering Jews were in hanging baskets on the gazebos roof framework.

Uggg, anyway, if anyone has scallion or bunching onion or any of the Wandering Jews they want to do a trade for, let me know and we'll see what I can come up with in trade. I'd really appreciate it. I miss seeing my beautiful, full Wandering Jews cascading down from the gazebo roof :(

Kathy~ Off to corral the bratlings into Saturday chores

o

Poor Dan. :( Tuesday must seem an eternity away.
It's actually NOT RAINING here for the moment this morning.
Hoping it gets dry enough for me to work in the garden today!

Joan

PS - They are forcasting heavy thunderstorms for us again tonight though.

o

Welcome to the swap, Jodie! Jump back in here and tell us about yourself! :O)

Poor, poor Dan. *giggle*
I'm trying to work up sympathy for you, Dan....but I'm not quite there yet.
*giggle*
Sorry.
*tee-hee*
:P

Kat~ We had some serious storms here last night, too. Limbs all over the yard, lightning like you wouldn't believe...and the WIND! OhMyGoodness! That wind was something else! Our yard is sitting under a few inches of water at this point. I hope it dries out soon. UGH.

The boys were sleeping out in a tent during all this last night! Can you BELIEVE that?? They wanted to sleep outside, I said NO, it's supposed to rain. Daddy said SURE, GO AHEAD!!! (men!!!!) So they did, and thought last night was a great adventure.
Boys.
Do they EVER grow up?

****List of Players****

Melissa/hazelnutbunny
Shelly/sred98
Joan/ejmoore510
Amy/dieg01991
Mark/markcase1964
Linda/lindaruzicka
Cindy/cjcjmass
Pat/fairyoak
Jaime/ashcraftbunch
CA/sakura komichi
Jodie/Jodie

**Lurking:
Wendy/sassybutterfly

o

can i join, HNB? hehe
HNB used to be my initials. I'll check back to see if I made the list. Thanks =)

o

Hi everyone!
I love reading about all the tips for controlling pests so far, thanks Melissa! Can I recommend tips for controlling stink bugs? They eat my Zucchini and every year they have been getting worse and worse. I read that they are resistant to most insecticides. Anyone have any tips on how to control them naturally?

Kathy,
I for sure have 3 of the 4 plants you're looking for (Moses in a Basket/Oyster Plant, Tradescantia pallida and Tradescantia zebrina). I have a green wandering jew too, but I'm not sure if it's fluminensis. Take a look at my list, I have pictures of the wandering jews.

Hope you're all having a great weekend.
Amy

o

Hey Kathy-I've got shallot bulb starts, not seeds. Do you want those? Let me know.

I did get some of my waaay overdue seedlings (starting to bloom now!) for my veggies planted yesterday. It didn't rain yesterday, just early morning, so I had to hand till my garden, because there was no way the tractor could go back there, and DH hasn't gotten the tiller going. I'm doing separate beds, and grouping them, so we'll see how it goes. As long as the deer stay out of it!

I'm off to find corn seed. I thought I had some, but can't find it.

Dan-only 3 more days! ;)

Shelly

o

Amy and Shelly, thanks so much! I would love to work something out for them!

Shelly, I have two different kinds of sweet corn as well as some ornamental corns.

Ya'll email me and we'll work something out. My trade list is way out of date, but I will check your wants to see if I have anything you're looking for :)

Kathy- going to check out lists!

o

Of course you can join, Heather! Glad to have you! :O)

I do ask that everyone that HASN'T been in an MNF swap before, to please come and post often. Even if it's just saying HELLO, we'd like to get to know you!!

****List of Players****

Melissa/hazelnutbunny
Shelly/sred98
Joan/ejmoore510
Amy/dieg01991
Mark/markcase1964
Linda/lindaruzicka
Cindy/cjcjmass
Pat/fairyoak
Jaime/ashcraftbunch
CA/sakura komichi
Jodie/Jodie
Heather/divahethr

**Lurking:
Wendy/sassybutterfly

o
RE: new: mnf~ june bugs! Trade

Ladies, I have sent you both emails through GW, so please let me know if you do not receive them :)

I hope that those who haven't been in a MNF swap tells us something about themselves, I enjoy getting to know new members, especially right now since otherwise I'm missing this month's fun with swapping!

Kathy

o
Bug Squishin' time!

BUG OF THE DAY!

STINK BUGS

stink bug Pictures, Images and Photos

Peeeee-Uuuuuuuuuu!!!!

Also known as shield bugs, there are over 221 species in North America. (that's a whole lotta stink!)

~~Where it lives:
fields, meadows, yards & gardens on herbaceous plants and low shrubs

~~How long it lives:
Stink bugs characteristically deposit their eggs on the underside of leaves in clusters with tight rows of individual barrel-shaped eggs. After overwintering, adult females seek out suitable hosts in early spring and typically deposit their eggs on wild host plants. Often these overwintering populations are found along field borders, particularly along tree lines near their overwintering sites. Later-developing cultivated plants become more attractive when these initial wild hosts dry down, and their proximity allows easy access for stink bug colonization in crops. Shortly after egg deposition and hatching, emerging nymphs are gregarious in habit and remain on or near the egg mass. As they develop, they begin to feed and disperse. The life cycle is repeated when reproductively mature adult stink bugs locate mates and deposit new egg masses.

~~What it eats:
Plant juices
like honeydew seem to be their choice of
food but most will readily feed on tomatoes,
beans, any type of fruit, corn, peppers or
cabbage. (I have also noticed them on my Rose of Sharon bushes...they seem to like the flowers.)

~~What makes them stinky & how to do it:
When handled or disturbed, individuals will produce a fairly sweet odor from glands in the thorax, thus the common name. The openings for these glands are readily seen on the last thoracic segment towards the sides of the insect. To make a stink bug release an odor, hold the insect with your thumb and forefinger on the sides.

~~Controlling the smelly buggers:

Unfortunately, there aren't many choices other than pesticides. Here are some of the proven ones, though:

-Trap cropping: involves planting strips of other stink bug host plants crops around the edges of crop fields to be protected. For example, a field of tomatoes might be protected by growing a few rows of okra, buckwheat, sunflowers or sorghum on the outskirts. The idea is to lure, congregate and provide something for the stink bugs to feed on instead of the crop.

-Plants they don't care for much: Marigolds, borage, mint, tansy, nasturtiums and radishes

-Handpicking is effective though time consuming. Dump them into a bucket of soapy hot water.

-Sprinkle plants with imitation vanilla.

-A thorough fall garden clean up is essential to prevent them from overwintering.

o

Does that mean when they get on my cabbage plants, I get skunk cabbage? LOL!

o

Eeewww!! ROFL!
That's gross, Mark! :P

MAY I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION, PLEASE?!
We are in the final week for sign-ups. YAY!
I need everyone that HAS or IS GOING TO sign up, to please post a quick HELLO. If you aren't active on the boards and already chatting our heads off, please DO SO.
Anyone that HAS NOT posted again after their initial sign-up posting will NOT be allowed to participate. This is ONLY to make sure that we are keeping the lines of communication OPEN. It's not to single anyone out- or exclude anyone in any way. We just need to know that everyone is still willing & able to play....and cuts off the frustration of not being able to contact your partner later on.

Thanks for your cooperation!! :O)

o

Hi! I'm still in, just on a much-needed vacation this week (though somehow I still managed to spend the morning weeding the yard at my parents' place!)

~CA

o

I'm still in and anxiously awaiting!!!

Joan

o

I'm still in for sure too.

Melissa, wow, thanks for taking my request and responding so quickly!! I totally didn't expect that. You're the best. I am not feeling very optimistic though. Those nasty bugs devastated my zucchini crop last year! grrrr!!! They are pretty easy to capture and kill though, so that's good. I usually cut the invested leaves and drop them into a bucket and then squash them all. Yuck!! I didn't want to kill them when I first found them last year because I wasn't sure what they were and if they were good or bad bugs. Now I know and I will be on top of it this year.

Hope everyone had a great weekend! The weather was perfect here and we dug a few new garden areas today. My husband is awesome!!!

Good night,
Amy

o
One more thing...

Oops, forgot to say...Kathy, I got your email and I'm excited. I will reply tomorrow, I need to get to bed now.

Amy

o

I'm still here too, spent the weekend constructing the deluxe chicken condo for my ladies (batams) including a roosting "tree", cedar nesting condo and large "yard" The rest was just taking the tractor another round(ha).....the grass grows fast in all the wrong places and slower in the pastures where needed. I need some of your rain Joan.....

o

Mon, May 18, 09 at 1:35

Hello everyone thanks for letting me join the swap. I'm married and have a 2 sons. I have a pond and like all plants but my favorites are large leaf plants and variegated.

o

LOL! I'm still in Melissa! Today's looking good, I actually got some sleep last night! I don't know if it was from pure exhaustion, or the two cats decided to give it a rest for one night, or maybe that closed bedroom door kept them away from me long enough for me to just fall deeply asleep! Whichever, I'm feeling good this morning! Stella is quietly moving around the house, Bump has still got that smug smirk on his face, and in just over 24 hours, Stella goes in for her operation. Get Gypsy into the vet and get her surgery done before she goes into heat. You don't need to go through anything like my weekend! And Linda? How do you do it with eight? (nerves of steel, that one!)
Last night I met a wonderful lady on freecycle, offering free plants. I went over and dug a bunch up for my garden, and I think I've made a new gardening friend. That's what it really is all about, don't you think? The plants and flowers are great to work with and look at, but it's the friendships that bloom along the way that really make it a great thing! I invited her to check out the gardenweb, we'll see if she makes it.
Everyone have a great week!
-Dan

o

I'm still here and still NOT in :P

We had a really good day here yesterday. The older boys came over and all four boys worked together to make me a new shade bed in the back yard. I was going to do it in the front yard where there was already a shade bed, but they pointed out that after the surgery, the backyard is where I will be spending most of my time, with the easier to manage stairs, the gazebo and new patio furniture and my raised veggie beds. So, they made me one beside the storage shed. In the mornings it's fully shaded by the storage shed and the HUGE tree in the neighbor's yard, and in the afternoons it gets some sun, but still shaded because of a large fir tree in the other neighbor's yard. I was hoping this year to make the opposite side of the shed a grotto, but that will wait until next year. Anyway, they took this warped square 4x4 and made the front border and 2 cinder blocks on each side for the side borders and layered the garden soil, manure and compost, shredded newspaper, top soil, coffee grounds and kitchen parings,Landscaper's soil conditioner (which has some really lovely bark fines in it!) and created a really gorgeous new layered bed for me! Several lovely shade plants from Diene now have a wonderful new home :) They also planted my Mexican Shellflower, Twinkle Toes, Dwarf Glad corms and bulbs, my Russian Lobelias and several other plants I had ready to go in the beds, but have had to wait for a reasonably dry soil day to plant. They also planted the Lamb's Ear, Red Hot Poker Russian Stonecrop Sedum, Purple coneflower, Lily of the Valley (New Shade Bed!!!) and Hens and Chicks from Linda in the last swap :)
All of this, along with several annuals that were waiting for the boys' and my beds in the front yard.

Then we brought everything out to the new patio table and grilled hot dogs and sausages, with all the fixings along with chips and homemade lemonade. Two gallon pitchers of that went really fast!

Cliff got to kick back and relax on his day off. He helped them with a couple of the bags of soil for the new bed, but they shooed him off to relax and play his new video game saying he always does the heavy planting for me, and it's his day off, so he needs to relax and have a day to himself before my surgery. He pointed out that it was Tommy and Jarret's (my two oldest sons) days off too, but they pointed out that he was the one that was going to be taking care of me after the surgery. So, he relaxed and played his game, came out later to see the new bed, then took me to pick up my prescription for pain pills and the buns and all for dinner, then grilled the dogs and sausage. Jarret's fiancee came over- he'd had to leave to attend her baccalaureate and she came back with him. We got to spend an hour or two with her, she leaves this morning for her Senior Trip and will be gone for a week. Her graduation is the night I'm having my surgery, but everyone has promised lots of pictures, and a copy of the DVD that her mother is so kindly buying for us because we can't be there.

But anyway, we got to enjoy some time with Sarah before she left. We spent the rest of the evening outside in the backyard and gazebo, relaxing, enjoying some family time. Something I really needed. With the two boys grown and on their own, though they drop by often, it's not the same as having everyone here for several hours, ya know? So, we had a wonderful time together as a family :) The little boys leave Friday for the weekend at the lake house with Cliff's Mom and step-dad. Then they will be staying with them the week of my surgery. They will come home Friday after school and will leave again on Sunday for their Father's in Texas for a month. So, given that and the fact that the older two are on their own... that family time yesterday was very special to me.

After the surgery, as soon as I'm feeling up to it, we're having a big cookout and all the kids, family and friends will be here, including by that time- a new granddaughter expected in late July, early August!

So, I have things to look forward to after the surgery and that family celebration as well as my gardens to look forward to as goals to keep me focused on recovering quickly and well.

Amazing how a simple, though wonderful weekend can help with depression, remind you of the important things and re-center your focus away from the pain and worry, anxiety, and help you see past everything (especially not being able to do anything!) to brighter times! :)

I hope you all had one as wonderful :)

Kathy

o

Thanks for all the pop-ins, everyone! :O) I'll keep track of everyone we've heard from....and if we HAVEN'T seen you post after your initial sign-up, there will be a star (*) by your name. Okie-Dokie?

We had a good weekend. Aside from the only-having 1/2 of a vehicle thing. LOL Makes errand running VERY interesting when you can't fit your entire family in the one running truck. :P
We had my grandma & parents up for a cook-out. Hubby grilled burgers & hot dogs, and we had chips, sweet tea & home-made apple pie for dessert.
It was nice to see my family in a different setting after my uncle passing last weekend. The burger was the first full meal that my grandma has eaten in the past week (she skipped the apple pie, though).
I just hate seeing her hurt so much. I keep praying that the pain will lessen for her- I know it will never go away- but I just want her to be able to enjoy life again. Right now, she can't see past this. I just want to be here for her......but I'm not sure quite how, you know?
*sigh*

Anyway! Today is hubby's birthday! Yay! Actually, all it does is serve to remind me that he's younger than I am! LOL Oh well, at least I LOOK younger than he does, right?
I had forgotten that I'd sent his name in to a local radio station to be announced on his birthday, and they ended up calling him this morning while he was at work! He won the birthday contest, and they are sending him a gift certificate to a restaurant! He called to let me know, since I don't listen to the radio in the morning. And here I was, feeling bad because I couldn't afford to get him anything for his birthday...and he tells me this! So I'm thinking...in a round-about-way...I DID get him something for his birthday! :O)

Oh well. Off to make hubby's cake! Dark chocolate fudge cake with cool whip icing, decorated with fresh strawberries & mini chocolate chips! Yummy! :O)

****List of Players****

Melissa/hazelnutbunny
Shelly/sred98
Joan/ejmoore510
Amy/dieg01991
Mark/markcase1964
Linda/lindaruzicka
*Cindy/cjcjmass
Pat/fairyoak
*Jaime/ashcraftbunch
CA/sakura komichi
Jodie/Jodie
*Heather/divahethr

**Lurking:
Wendy/sassybutterfly

o

Dan....it just occurred to me that maybe the Bailey's has something to do with Linda's nerves of steel.....
Hmmmmm.......

o

well, that may be, but what about all the brownies? what're they doing for us?

(anyone else got the munchies?)

o

I don't know about anyone else...but all the brownies are doing for me is expanding my hind-quarters.....

Baby got back, alright....

o

Hello everyone!

Sorry I haven't posted all weekend as some of yall already know my Dh is not a fan of the computer and really doesn't like me on it when he is here which is Friday thru Monday.. I am a mom of 3 and A wife of 5 years to my DH. I am a LPN by trade and baker and gardener by passion. I am also an independent Avon representive and Unit leader and I am also a Consultant for Celebrating home aka Home Interiors. I don't have many plants in my yard but I do have 3 new large beds. 2 in full sun and one dapled shade.

I love alot of things in the way of plants and garden decor. I really like bright colors due to the fact the yard and the house are both green. I love daylilies and have 50 unamed(lost names in a move 4 years ago) and I recently planted 19 I ordered and 6 from Susie in the petal pusher swap. I have several gardening books I love reading in over and over. We just planted our first garden this year and have around 174 tomatoe plants in it with pole beans, cucumbers, zucchini, squash, sweet peas, watermelons, and cantelope. We are enjoying it. The kids have a tommy toe bed in the back yard.

I love to bake cakes for special occasions for other people and cook for any reason. I can't pass up a cookbook. I spend alot of time with family and friends. I use facebook alot and became addicted to it easily also.

We have 4 parakeets, 5 goldfish, a ton of guppies, 1 west highland terrior, 2 great danes. We are wanting chickens and rabbits but unable to find any around here.
we live on about 6 acres that belong to my grandparents and are loving it.

Ok ok enough rambling about myself if anyone wants to know any more they are more than welcome to ask.

God Bless and Happy Gardening.....

Jamie

o

with my may boxes all mailed, I can now join for june. Dan, the vet will charge you extra if stella is in heat. we have a horny bear running thru the streets of seattle. so things could be worse. authorities think he made a wrong turn in his quest for a mate.slug controll here is me and a salt shaker.only critter I truly dislike. we once got ducks because we heard they ate slugs but for some reason they chose to hang out and go potty on our front porch, so we gave them away. Bunny how is miss Lily doing ? are you in season again ?can't wait for my partner. spring is finally here, got my tomatos and corn planted yesterday. happy plantingPhotobucket Carol

o

lol I have the * by my name. I live in VA. I'm married with 4 children. We are a military family. I have 2 cats. I like to have fun and joke around. We go on road trips as a family where my hidden agenda is finding more plants. I love to shop for half dead plants on clearance and try to bring them back to life. And because I have no magical plant powers I regretfully say...I have lost a few along the way. My garden is a work in progress and I have a big area that is just pots with plants because I don't know where they are all gonna go and then I find a spot but then I have "acquired more" in the mean time and so on. I won't be done until every blade of grass is gone. SSShhh don't tell.

o

I went and visited my family in Altoona for a couple of days..we had Christmas!.."L". I didn't get over for it so we had it on Sunday with my mother and sisters. I received some AWESOME faires for my garden. I had a great time and now I'm going to be off to bed in a few.."yawning"..

o

Linda, you had Christmas this past weekend? How cool is that?
These past few days may not have held a lot of sleep for me, but I have met two great gardeners (and a newbie) through freecycle, one of them a member here on the gw! And yes, there are more plants to put into the ground! LOL! Brandy is a member here, and was in the chocolate swap, brandymulvaine. She had some sweet peas she wanted to get rid of, so she graciously invited me and this other lady (the newbie) to her house. Well, Brandy and I have talked many times on the computer but just haven't gotten to meet one another yet. We had ourselves a great time, and I got to meet her son Brandon (he's 6!) too! He's a big help for mom, and likes to dig and play with rolypolys! We walked through her gardens (beautiful!) and looked at her jugs (w/s, that is!) She has a lot of sprouts in hers, which I'm jealous of. In mine, just the one jug of hollyhocks came up. And all in all, we had ourselves a great time!
And this morning, in about 2 hours, Stella goes to the doctor, and I begin worrying about how things are going. I know it's a routine procedure, but the last time I had a cat at the vet for anything more than a check-up was the day Jason died. I'll be okay, and so will Stella. His Majesty (Bump) will help me take care of her when I bring Stella home this afternoon, of that I'm sure. When Stella went to the vet for her shots, Bump was very careful of her when she came home. He gently sniffed her to see what was going on, then pretty much left her alone to sleep it out. When she woke up, he was very gentle with her for a couple of days, always helping to take care of the baby. Maine coons are truly "gentle giants". If anyone out there is thinking of getting a cat, I definitely recommend getting a maine coon cat. They are the only breed I will ever have.
Everyone have yourself a great day!
-Dan

o

Yay, Carol is in! The party can start!

Thanks for posting & telling us about yourselves, Jaime & Heather! We're just a nosy bunch, and like to know all about everyone! LOL

Dan~ I actually met a GW'er through freecycle, too! She was giving away iris, and I went to pick them up. She started showing me all the plants she'd gotten from GW and waxing poetic about the people she'd met. She told me I should try it out and directed me to the seed forum. There, I met Medo...and it's been downhill from there! LOL! In a good way, of course!! :O)

****List of Players****

Melissa/hazelnutbunny
Shelly/sred98
Joan/ejmoore510
Amy/dieg01991
Mark/markcase1964
Linda/lindaruzicka
*Cindy/cjcjmass
Pat/fairyoak
Jaime/ashcraftbunch
CA/sakura komichi
Jodie/Jodie
Heather/divahethr
Carol/veeja

**Lurking:
Wendy/sassybutterfly

o
Bug Squishin' time!

BUG OF THE DAY!

ROLYPOLYS/PILLBUGS

pill bug Pictures, Images and Photos

Fun to play with, bad in the house!

FACTS:
Small terrestrial isopods having a convex segmented body that rolls up into a ball. Pill bugs are actually relatives of shrimp. (yummy!)
Pill bugs and sow bugs are different. Both pill bugs and sow bugs will inhabit the same area. They are difficult to tell apart. How can you tell? The pill bug can roll into a tight round ball and the sow bug can sort of "hump" up. It cannot form a "pill" like the pill bug can. Both bear young twice a year or more. They carry them until the young are able to keep up with the rest of the colony. The young may leave mother at times however it is not unusual for them to come back, allowing her to to take care of them for as long as she can. As food supplies dwindle, colonies will relocate and forage to nearby areas that fill their dietary needs. Most feeding is done during the night.

Where they live:
Sow bugs also have gills and need constant moisture to live. They tend to live in moister northwest climates. They are primarily nocturnal, and eat decaying leaf litter and vegetable matter. They sometimes feed on the tips of young plants, but they also help the environment by breaking up decaying plant matter and help speed up the recycling of the nutrients they contain.

HOW TO CONTROL THEM

~Use corncobs as a bait to trap these intruders.
~Remove their hiding places such as piles of plant material, boards/wood, bricks, large rocks, etc.
~Reduce moisture or humidity level indoors.
~Built-in planters are usually a bad idea for many reasons. Window box planters and planter boxes on decks tight against the house are good breeding places for many bugs.
~There is a spider about one-half inch long with a brown rear body and a reddish front body. It has prominent fangs, long front legs, and is timid as it usually runs for cover when disturbed or seen. It doesn't have a common name but they are everywhere and harmless to people. The scientific name is Dysdera crocata. This little fellow feeds almost exclusively on pill bugs. They live under objects on the ground like stones etc. where pill bugs live. The long fangs" are used for feeding on the pill bugs not you!

o

I'm so glad to see newer members posting about themselves. I'll post a little blurb about me in the next few days, for those not as familiar with me.

Linda, Christmas in May sounds so much fun!

Great info, Melissa!

Dan, everything will be fine. Keeping you and Stella in my prayers today :)

Not having a very good day today. Didn't sleep but about 2 hours last night and still hurting. So I'm taking the strong pill and going to try to at least nap while the kids are at school. 1 week from today and counting down. Even with more pain initially, it will be the start of healing and getting my life back :) By this time in 1 week, the surgery should be almost finished.

HUGS to all,
Kathy

o

we call the roly poly bugs "potato bugs" here..I have no idea why. It was great to see my family. I usually go over once a month and stay over but I haven't been overnight since November! There's been alot going on here to prevent it however, I'm not going to let that happen again!..

o

GREAT NEWS!!! Stella made it through her surgery with flying colors, has woken up and is moving around, and I get to go get her in a couple of hours after the drugs wear off completely! What a relief getting that phone call was!!! YAY!!! Even His Majesty (Bump) liked getting that news!!!
(doing the happy, happy, joy, joy dance)

Kat, I hope your surgery goes just as well! Hang in there!

-Dan

o

Good day everyone....

Hope everyone is having a terrific tuesday. Me and DD have been in the yard all morning planting mix flower seeds in the cutting bed along with other seeds. the cutting bed is about 5 ft x 60 ft long it stretches all the way across the front ditch of our yard... Zinnias was a main seed planted but hopefully alot more of others will come up as well. Hve a few annual vines to plant near the mail box. Wishing we had atleast one hummingbird to see but none yet. I need to do a lil house work right now but trying to get DD to take a nap.

Dan I'm happy to see that Stella is doing great. My grandmother's 2 cats just had babies so we are hoping to get a few but ours will be in the yard for the mice. DH not fond of house cats..

Kathy I am keeping you held high in my prayers that everything will go by great and the recovery will be remarkable.

Melissa- My kids love these things and have asked to have roly poly farms instead of ant farms. I had to decline(no critters in the house except the birds and the fish..)

Well just wanted to stop in and say hello to everyone for today. I will quitely lurk around some and then after DD wakes up back outside to work in the yard before the rain comes again this weekend....

-Jamie

o
just wondering

Oh I was just wondering if anyone on here baked cakes? I am doing a b-day party for my son on the 30th and he wants a dragon cake....

FWDSC00367

Jamie

o
yard photos

here are a few pictures of my yard..-jamie

the shade bed-sorry for the sideways..

the cutting bed across the yard

my abby and my upright elephant ears from my mom for mother's day.

o

nice pics Jamie! I've been working out in my yard today..it's time for a shower...even the cats are holding their noses!

o
RE: Stella

excellent news on Stella, Dan! All my cats were rooting for her!.."hearing the sound of fuzzy cat paws clapping"

o

Jamie, those pics are great! Thanks for sharing!

Linda, when I went to pick up Stella, the tech told me she'd heard Stella say the word "no". Now, I've been hearing this from her for quite some time, and Joe's heard it a few times too. It was nice to hear that someone heard her say it outside the house finally! She says it whenever something is happening that she doesn't like, and I've no idea where she learned it from. And people say cats can't talk! Little do they know, eh?

His Majesty is taking a nap at the moment, after babysitting for a few hours while I was out. He's treating Stella with kitten mittens right now, taking care of her. Can you tell I'm feeling better tonight? hehehe

Ta-ta!
-Dan

o

Good news about Stella! Is she, by chance, Siamese or Siamese-mix? They are pretty talkative. I had one that I caught practicing saying "Mama" in his empty food bowl. Better acoustics, I guess?? I don't know who was more freaked out, me or him! LOL!

Shelly

o

YAY, STELLA!
o3o Pictures, Images and Photos
FEEL BETTER SOON!

o

Hi Shelly! Stella is pure maine coon, right down to those fuzzy tufts of hair behind her ears! LOL! Maine coons can be pretty talkative too. Bump, who sometimes I refer to as His Majesty, (and I can't believe he's about to celebrate his 2nd birthday in a few months!) is another maine coon. Stella is my 3rd of that breed, and I'm addicted to them. I wouldn't even consider getting another breed. Bump is quite the caregiver, babysitting anyone who is sick or feeling bad. This morning I caught him hissing at Stella because she was jumping around a bit, and totally not listening when he was telling her to settle down! When she calmed down and started taking it easy, he quieted down too. I guess he doesn't want her to harm herself so soon after her surgery.
At the moment they are both looking out the office window, enjoying the fresh air and listening to the birds. I'd take a picture and share it with you all, but Stella has given me strict orders to NOT take any pictures until her fur has had a chance to grow back out. Well, all I can say is, Her Highness has spoken.

Everyone have a great day!
-Dan

aren't we supposed to be getting partners soon???

o

Awwww...Maine Coons are so pretty, and big! They were a breed I had considered getting, but I now feel the same way about Siamese that you do about the Maine Coons! LOL! Glad to hear she is getting her rest! Give her a special treat from Sipsong, my polydactyl Siamese.

I can't wait for partners! I am sooo ready!

Shelly

o

Just popping in quick to say "hi everyone"!
Dan, great news about Stella. They are our babies aren't they? I swear that one of mine can say "No" when he's mad or doesn't like something and "Mama" sometimes when he wants to be picked up or snuggled, am I crazy? ;-) My husband thinks it's just a coincidence.

Hope you all have a great day.
Amy

o
RE: one more thing

Oh, by the way...Kathy, I got your email and responded. I haven't heard back so I'm wondering if my email went into your spam folder. I will follow up with another email. I hope you are feeling better today!

o

Got 5 more days until partners, guys. You can wait that long, you're big kids now. :O)

While you're waiting, Dan....you could do something constructive. Like getting out that bat, and beating the bushes for lurkers & peeping toms! LOL
I know Wendy is hiding out back there somewhere....but I'm not quite sure which category she falls into.....
Hmmm.

o

Sorry Amy, just responded to the second email. I've been having a bad few days. But the surgery is Tuesday... lol, Dan you can tease me now for having to wait til Tuesday.

Tomorrow I'm going to go and get the rest of the pre-op tests done and make sure my pre-admission is complete. Then hopefully be feeling well enough to enjoy a kid free weekend as Tiffy and the boys go to the lake house with Cliff's parents and be able to enjoy our first wedding anniversary on Sunday.

Everyone have a great day, I'm going to go lie back down.

Kathy

o

hmmm, somehow having permission to tease someone just takes all the fun out of it...

o

Oh okay! I've 'lurked' long enough! Sign me up, Melissa! lol

Kathy, I hope your pain eases a bit!

Dan, I'm glad Stella is home, and the both of you are enjoying some 'quiet' time!

I don't have much time to visit, so..
Have a great day everyone!

Karen

o

Yay, We've got Karen! :O)

****List of Players****

Melissa/hazelnutbunny
Shelly/sred98
Joan/ejmoore510
Amy/dieg01991
Mark/markcase1964
Linda/lindaruzicka
*Cindy/cjcjmass
Pat/fairyoak
Jaime/ashcraftbunch
CA/sakura komichi
Jodie/Jodie
Heather/divahethr
Carol/veeja
Karen/Kalena67

**Lurking:
Wendy/sassybutterfly

BRB with a game!

o
Game

GAME TIME!

I have several popular songs as ring tones on my cell, including (but not limited to!) one for hubby, one for a close friend, and one for my parents.

NAME THE SONG/TUNE FOR EACH PERSON.

Since this is a 3 part question, I will give a prize for each correct answer. Meaning: 3 people will have the chance to win.

I will give clues along the way.
Good luck! :O)

o

Is the one for hubby: "Where oh where has my little dog gone?"

o

Ok, so I keep coming back here to read the posts and going back and forth about joining. My son is getting married June 13th and I wasn't sure if I would have the time. I am ready to take the plunge and join in. I just can't procratinate getting the plants in the mail so will give myself a deadline of getting the package in the mail by June 5th and no later.

Soooo, count me in.
Thanks, Margo

o

I'm thinking the one for hubby is either "I got you babe" or "The Wanderer"

The tone for her friend is "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun".

o

Welcome, Margo!

Mark...not even close. LOL

Dan, you're on the right track with the "oldies" (except for the wanderer...that's WAY off base, and I'd have to ring his neck if it was accurate...)...but TOTALLY off on the friend song.

Here's some clues:
Hubby= oldies
Friend= sappy/inspirational
Parents= popular TV show

****List of Players****

Melissa/hazelnutbunny
Shelly/sred98
Joan/ejmoore510
Amy/dieg01991
Mark/markcase1964
Linda/lindaruzicka
*Cindy/cjcjmass
Pat/fairyoak
Jaime/ashcraftbunch
CA/sakura komichi
Jodie/Jodie
Heather/divahethr
Carol/veeja
Karen/Kalena67
Margo/smitties

**Lurking:
Wendy/sassybutterfly

o

for the friend..'wind beneath my wings"
parents..the theme from everyone loves raymond
husband..Unchained Melody

o

Ok...here are my guesses:

Parents - Theme from "Cheers" or "Addams Family" <- no offense, but I love that one! LOL!

Friend - "You've Got A Friend" by James Taylor <-love this one!

Husband - "At Last" by Etta James <- one of my fave songs ever!

How many guesses do we get??

Shelly

o

Here are my guesses!

~Hubby: When a Man Loves a Woman
~Friend: Graduation (Friends Forever)
~Parents: Friends theme song: I'll be There For You

This is a tough one!! As soon as gave hints, I thought of 'Wind Beneath My Wings' but was already too late in posting! We think alike Linda!

o

Keep guessing until someone gets it, Shelly!

BTW: No one is close on the friend song, but someone is thinking along the right lines with the parent's song.

Here's more clues:

Hubby= oldie/not sappy
Friend= inspirational/country
Parents= TV show/family

o

Okay, here's my second try...
parents... theme from "all in the family"
friend... I Got Friends In Low Places
husband... hmmm, I'm gonna go with "Come On, Get Happy" by the Partridge Family

LOL! This is fun!

o

Heres some more guesses!

Hubby: Leader of the Pack
Friend: I Hope You Dance
Parents: The Beverly Hillbillys Theme

o

Uhh...Dan? Just what kind of inspiration do you get from YOUR friends, huh? ROFL!

And anyway....

KAREN GOT IT!
I have "I hope you dance" as a ringtone for my friend, Diane. It's one of my favorite songs. :O)
So Karen wins the prize for THAT part of the game.
Way to go, Karen!

Still need the answers for Hubby's and my parent's ringtones, though!
Ya'll are dancing around them, for sure! LOL

o

OK...trying again! LOL!

Parents: "Love and Marriage" from Married With Children

Friend: "Ordinary Angels" - Craig Morgan

DH: "All Shook Up" - Elvis

This is fun!

o
mnf~ june bugs!

OK...trying again! LOL!

Parents: "Love and Marriage" from Married With Children

Friend: "Ordinary Angels" - Craig Morgan

DH: "All Shook Up" - Elvis

This is fun!

o

My computer is having issues with GW today, apparently. Sorry about the double posts.

Congrats Karen!

Shelly

o

Hi everyone a quick hello and I'll take a guess while I have stopped in..

Husband-when a man loves a woman
Parents- green acres theme

o

Yay!! :) I got one right! I really like that song, too. I think a year after 9-11, there was a special on tv for the children who lost parents and they played that song, and it was such a tear-jerker.

I'll let the others try for a prize!

Have a great day!
:) Karen

o

hmmm, would the parents' ringtone be the theme from the Cosby show? or isn't that old enough?

or, could it be the theme from "The Waltons"?

friends in low places was the only country song I could think of. remember, I'm more into the likes of Marily Manson than Faith Hill...lol!!!

o

My baby brother is a dead ringer for Marilyn Manson.... *shudder* ....
Kinda creepy.

And.....It's not quite as old as the Cosby show.

More Hints:

Hubby= oldie/not sappy/love
Parents= TV show/family/dysfunctional

o

Thu, May 21, 09 at 19:14

hello my guess for parents=married with children

o

Thu, May 21, 09 at 20:16

sorry I see that one was already picked. how about the theme song to all in the family for parents

o

Hubby: Old/ not sappy/ Love: how about You've Got That Loving Feeling

o

Closer, Mark...but not quite there.

Hints:

Hubby= oldie/not sappy/love/not a traditional "couple" song
Parents= TV show/family/dysfunctional/still on the air

o

okay, the parents song has got to be the theme song from The Simpsons! If not, I give up! LOL!!!

I'm still going to keep looking at all the guesses though!

o

Morning all. Wasn't about yesterday, was finishing the pre-op tests, getting things together for the kids to go to the lake with MIL and we had to go shopping- ya know how it is, suddenly the kids have no socks that can be found, Vince needed a new pair of shoes because his feet had suddenly grown 3 sizes overnight, apparently.

On the songs, I was going to make the same guess that Dan just did on the parent's ringtone, so I'll have to give those some more thought...

Wondering just what I'm going to do with a kidfree weekend... wow, it's been a VERY long time since I've had one of those!

Have a great day all!

Kathy

o

Hmmm....

Parents: Family Guy theme song???

DH: Wild Thing

Shelly

o

Kid-free? What's THAT, Kathy?! LOL!

DAN GOT IT!
The ringtone for my parents is the theme from The Simpsons. Yeah, we were that dysfunctional when I was growing up. It's better now...but like I said...my baby brother impersonates Marilyn Manson.
Everyone deals with stuff in their own way, I suppose...

Congrats, Dan!

Still looking for the ringtone for Hubby.

CLUE: Shelly was super close once. :O)

o

Melissa,

I know, no kids is a completely foreign concept! I have no clue what we're going to do with all of the quiet, clean and purely adult time!

Congrats to Karen and Dan!!

I have no clue what DH's tone might be... Perhaps "My Way' by Elvis? Or WAIT! "Teddy Bear" by Elvis!

Kathy

o

Ok...2 guesses on DH:

Are you lonesome tonight?

Unforgettable

Off to field day!

Shelly

o

YAY!!!! I got one!!! That is sooo cool!

Now, I'm not going to try to win in the husband category, but I am wondering if it's "I just called to say I love you". If that's it, then send the prize to Kathy. She was the first person to say anything after this swap was posted. Does that sound okay?

And now, I'm off to the weekend!!!

EVERYONE HAVE A SAFE, SANE, HAPPY HOLIDAY WEEKEND!!!

-Dan & Co.

o

Kathy's gettin' closer! CLOSE CLOSE CLOSE!!!

o

Close huh? "All Shook Up" by Elvis

Kathy

o

LOL! I can't help but grin here... theme for DH: love song, related to wild thing, Elvis! I can only get the image from Grease in my mind when the boys dropped their pants to the tune of

BLUE MOON!

o

HUNKA HUNKA BURNING LOVE!
...I've got nothing
lol

o

YAY! HEATHER GOT IT!!

Hubby is indeed my hunk of burning love! LOL
Or is that TMI??

Heather & Karen- ya'll will need to email me with your addy's, so I can get your prizes out to you!
Unless Dan has moved in the past few weeks, I have his. :O)

Oh, And Mark? The only time I've seen hubby's moon be blue is when we went skinny dipping in 50 degree weather.

Or maybe THAT is TMI??
ROFL!

o

WHAT
I don't believe it I pulled it out of my you know what. LOL
I knew it wasn't "In the Ghetto". That's the only other Elvis song I could think of. I was trying to play the TV show song game. I'm so happy!!

o

Melissa, you've got mail!

Karen

o

Hey everyone,
I know I'm late (looks like yall have been having fun), can I still get in this one? I just can't resist.... Nik

o

here I sit at the computer, two cats fast asleep nearby. the window is open, and a light breeze is coming in. I can hear a squirrel talking from a few trees away, and occasionally some birdsong too. as the dawn breaks, it's revealing the white and purple lilacs outside the window. the white lilac is in full bloom, and the purple one is about half-way there. clouds cover the sky, threatening to rain today. everything smells so fresh and green outside, actually more invigorating than the fudge-flavored coffee I'm drinking.
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, a Springtime Saturday morning, full of promise! what will the day bring??? I don't know yet, but this moment was worth being woken up at 4:45am by Stella. just thought I'd share it with you all...
-Dan

o

Of course, Nikki! Glad to have you!! :O)

****List of Players****

Melissa/hazelnutbunny
Shelly/sred98
Joan/ejmoore510
Amy/dieg01991
Mark/markcase1964
Linda/lindaruzicka
*Cindy/cjcjmass
Pat/fairyoak
Jaime/ashcraftbunch
CA/sakura komichi
Jodie/Jodie
Heather/divahethr
Carol/veeja
Karen/Kalena67
Margo/smitties
Nikki/nikkineel

**Lurking:
Wendy/sassybutterfly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here