Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ishareflowers

Larry's iris give away

I know this is a bit long but it's important to me that everyone know where these tubers came from.

When I was a young girl growing up in a small town in Massachusetts, there was a garden that was just stunning. I can remember as far back as junior high admiring the garden as the school bus drove by this home. As the years went by I would gawk each time I had the opportunity to drive by this garden.

Years later when I bought my own home, I had to drive by this garden daily on my way to and fro work. I would sit and wrench my neck trying to see more into the yard and what was blooming. I would see an older gentleman working the garden from time to time.

Over the last ten years, I noticed that the garden started to slip a bit and figured the man must be getting up in years. I remembered him being "older" when I was a teenager.

I recently had the honor of meeting this gardener, his name is Larry and he's 83 years old now. He was at one time(1995) the president of the historical iris preservation society and he and his wife were iris judges for years.

Larry invited me over to walk his gardens with him, it is still a sight to see. He showed me some pictures of his iris' in bloom and we had a nice conversation about gardening. He told me he had been diagnosed with parkinsons disease and would be selling his home and leaving his garden behind.

It's so sad! This home was a show place in it's day.

I told Larry how I had always admired his garden from a distance and he joked "you didn't stop to help though, did ya" He then said, did you bring a shovel and told me to start digging particular plants.

A few days later I brought Larry a nice lunch as a thank you and he told me about the new owner moving the carriage house soon. I know they will have to drive over his iris bed to do this. I panicked and started digging to save Larry's iris'.

The problem is, I don't have a home for all of them. I just couldn't let them be ruined and thought I'll figure something out.

So, here I am! I decided that I would offer these for postage and a thank you card for Larry letting him know where his iris will be growing. I think it would be so nice to get one growing in every state.

A piece of Larry's garden can live on.... in ours!

I just mailed the first two tubers today and I figure three dollars and a brown paper envy will cover the postage and a delivery conf# to get the iris tuber back to you.

NO THANK YOU CARD FOR LARRY ..... NO TUBER!!!

I already have the following states covered by members of the garden web.

Iowa

california

Illinois

georgia

minnesota- sent today to diego1991

louisiana

new york

michigan

texas- sent today to susantexoma

pennsylvania

new hampshire

utah

N. carolina

washington

If your interested please just post here! I'll email my addy to you soon.

Thank you

Lisa

Comments (147)

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

Hi Lisa,
    Just wanted to let you know that I received Mr. Larry's irises yesterday, and will be planting them today. Thanks so much!
    ~Laura (Michigan)

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Hi Lisa,

I received Larry's Iris yesterday too..They are in their special spot in the garden..Thank you to you and Larry...Barb WI

• colcol
    14 years ago

Colorado reporting in -- arrived in good shape yesterday & planted immediately. Thank you so much!!!
    colcol

• patti1957
    14 years ago

I received Larry's Iris yesterday. They are in a place chosen especially for them. I will take pictures as they grow so that I have them if you do a follow up on this special project that you have started. Thank you for allowing me to be apart of Larry's Garden.

Patti - Oregon

• joy_unspeakable
    14 years ago

My iris arrived in NC today. I will find a nice place for it Monday. Thank you again!

~ Tracy

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm glad to see that larrys irises are making their way to new homes.

I just noticed that I've been answering peoples questions on here from my email thus appearing that I'm ignoring questions. I'm not...lol

I mailed out yesterday to

Florida and washington, I'llpost the dc#s when I'm not too lazy to get up and get them..lol

I got an envy from S. dakota today and will mail out on Monday.

Lisa

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

A "Larry" iris rhizome was waiting for me when I got home yesterday. I will be planting it out tomorrow.
    Thank you Lisa. I am sorry I did not think to tell you to keep the change!
    Alana

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Alana,

I have mailed change back to every person that had change due back to them so I wouldnt have kept it anyway but Thank you!

Lisa

• faintheart
    14 years ago

Iowa checking in...Larry's iris arrived Friday and is happily planted in a place of honor next to my new home. :) Thank you, Lisa and Larry!!!

Alana, Lisa doesn't listen. *giggles* But she sure is special!

Dee

• katsgarden864
    14 years ago

Hello!

I would love to have one of Larry's Iris!

I know you already have a South Carolina, but if you would like another please keep me in mind!!

This is such a wonderful idea to save the iris's!

-Kat

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    14 years ago

Lisa, I received mine Friday. Thank you so much for sharing! Larry's iris will have a special place in my yard.

• ramazz
    14 years ago

Larry's iris arrived in Virginia yesterday while I was visiting my daughter and son-in-law and helping establish some flowers (including iris) in their yard. My husband opened the envelope and put it in a safe place, and I will get it in the ground tomorrow (should have done it today when I got back!) Lisa, I see I owe you money, so sorry! If you have a paypal account, I will be glad to send it to you that wayl LMK. I have a prime spot awaiting Larry's iris, where I took some others out that are now in my daughter's yard.

Becky

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Becky, Don't worry about it going over. I only had a few like that so it's no big deal.

I have a few more irises going out tomorrow for those of you who just sent in your postage.

Lisa

• tutti2006
    14 years ago

I know you already have TN but if you have any extras ,I would love to have one also.thanks for helping keep a old mans garden alive!!

• jaleeisa
    14 years ago

Lisa,

Larry's Iris arrived yesterday and will be planted this evening in it's special, reserved space in my front yard beds. I am sectioning off a space just for it and any future offspring it may put off. I am keeping it somewhat isolated not only so it can shine alone, but because I'm trying to keep it from crossing with others, which are in the back yard. I am so thrilled to represent Oklahoma in your project and hope that Larry enjoys knowing they are being spread across the US. If you end up with more, whether they are iris or not, from his beds, I will be happy to give them a new home to save them for him :)

Kathy

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi All,

I mailed out four irises today. They went to:

New Mexico- 0307 0020 0004 6760 4685

Iowa- 4768

missouri- 4662

S. Dakota- 4654

I didn't get any envies today....

Lisa

• bigmama4ever
    14 years ago

this is a great storry, one that i would love to tell my people in az, and include in my slide show, i dont have a list when i ask for a trade i send my slideshow. and in my prayers, god bless you and larry..norma

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Morning all!

For those of you who haven't sent in your envies, I will wait until next wednesday and if I haven't gotten your envy, card and postage I will move onto the next person in line.

Rhode island, you package will go out today.

Lisa

• karenh71867
    14 years ago

Larry's Iris arrived in South Dakota today! :o) I will put it in my front bed for all see! Thank you, Lisa, for finding homes for Larry's Iris'.

Karen

• tiffanyy808
    14 years ago

Im in Hawaii. I would love to have one.

• margaret_2007
    14 years ago

Hi, Lisa,
    I checked the # sent for Iowa 0307 0020 0004 6760 4768 & the message I received was -There is no such #. Do I have it correct? Want to make sure I am home to receive. Blessings, Margaret

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Margaret,

I just checked your dc#, the last 4 numbers are 4678. I'm sorry, I must have transposed the numbers when posting them.

Lisa

• grolikecrazy
    14 years ago

I would just love to grow Larry's legacy irises here in Utah, I'll rmail you for my address. Thank you for sharing. Chris

• Alphie
    14 years ago

If you don't have one for Mississippi yet, I would be happy to send Larry a card and postage on Monday for one of his iris. Please let me know.

Thank you,

Don

• proudgm_03
    14 years ago

Larry's iris is safe in its Missouri home. Thank you Larry and Lisa. Can't wait to see what it looks like.

• raggedyann161420
    14 years ago

LISA, Thank you so much! The iris arrived this week while I was on the road and I have the perfect spot for it.

Again, thanks so much for giving me the opportunity to give Larry's iris a home in Illinois. I will get the card back to you on Monday as I am going to be a hermit today and not going any further than my yard.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Larry has moved into his new home, I'm hoping that he remembers to call me when he gets settled in. Here are some pics that I took , I thought I would add a few photos of his irises to the board that I made for him. The last three are ones that bloomed for me after being transplanted her in my yard.

• msbarbara
    14 years ago

I received my iris yesterday. Thank you for taking the time to distribute Larry's iris across the country. What a great idea you had!!!!
    Thank you,
    Barbara-Mississippi

• karenh71867
    14 years ago

They are all beautiful, Lisa!! Thanks for posting the pics!

Karen

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Lisa, the irises are beautiful! Can't wait to see what me Mom's turns out to be.

• margaret_2007
    14 years ago

Lisa-Just letting you know I received Larry's iris & can't wait until next year to see it blooming. Thanks for this large undertaking you are doing. I know he will be thrilled when he sees your great accomplishment. Blessings, Margaret

• kiddo
    14 years ago

I would love a couple iris if at all possible .let me know where to send postage
    Kiddo

• j_and_c
    14 years ago

I am interested... have you sent any to Indiana yet?

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Micyrey - your conf# is 0307 0020 0004 6760 2285 and please send me an email with your addy, I forgot to put your .80 in the envy back to you.

Rhode Island, I THOUGHT I mailed yours last week but low and behold I still had it here. Your conf# is 0103 0020 0004 6760 2278, I also forgot to put your change in. Please email your addy and I'll get your .62 cents back yo you.

pat-6 your iris was mailed, I posted the conf# on the pedal pushers thread.

Tracyvine, same as Pat

Lisa

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

The iris are beautiful Lisa...Thank you for the pics of them..:))) Barb

• flwrs4ever
    14 years ago

Hi lisa..just recd Larrys Iris In RI thanks so much. NO change needed..it would cost more to mail..do me a favor, and just give someone some free postage sometime.

Lisa, you are such an amazing person for doing this, I hope Larry feels a bit more comfortable moving knowing he has a good friend in you, and his Iris will live on for years.

Thanks again.

Kym

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I got some envies today from back-up states.

Don from ms.

Vicki fron Montana

Jill from Wyoming

Marilyn from Idaho

These are packed up and will go out in the afternoon tomorrow.

LIsa

• Michelle Reynolds
    14 years ago

hello
    thank you for all the work you are doing and please keep the change and use it if someone else needs more postage.
    happy gardening
    michelle

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    14 years ago

Hi Lisa,

Thanks so much for sending me Larry's irises! I really appreciate it and have planted them in a very special spot where they will get lots of love and care. I will be very anxious to see them bloom next season! I have mailed you some postage money and a "thank you" note for Larry, so hopefully you'll receive this soon. Thanks again for sharing with me! - Lisa

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Lisa,

The irises were a birthday gift for the b-day buddies swap!!!! I'll keep the card but will return the money when I get it.

Lisa

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    14 years ago

THIS OFFER IS NOW CLOSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• dieg01991
    14 years ago

Lisa,
    I can't wait to her what Larry thinks of all this wonderful hard work you've been doing!! I also can't wait until next spring when everyone starts to post pictures of Larry's irises in bloom!!

You're great!!
    Amy (from MN)

• j_and_c
    14 years ago

I'm sad to hear this offer is over. I responded on the 9th because I didn't see Indiana listed as receiving one, and I even wrote a thank you note to Larry in a thank you card, but I think my message was over-looked, but that's okay. I have plenty of iris. I hope Larry has an iris somewhere in Indiana. Thanks anyways for sharing his iris the way you did/have.

J_and_C

• patti1957
    14 years ago

Gardenmom2 posted her request from Indiana on May 20th.

• Alphie
    14 years ago

Hello Lisa,

Larry's Iris arrived in Marietta, Mississippi today. Already safe and sound with wet, dirty feet, and plenty of sun! I believe they will be happy here. Thank you so much!

Don

• Vic Billings, MT
    14 years ago

Lisa, I got Larry's Iris today and it's planted already! I didn't get out to the mailbox Sat. so I'm not sure if it came then or today, but it was in great shape!
    Thanks again and I hope he enjoys his cards!
    Vicky

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Please see the new thread and leave a message for Larry. He joined the gardenweb!!

• Rescueplants
    9 years ago

What ever happened to Larry and his garden?

• pinkiris
    9 years ago

IHope Larry is doing well - he must be so proud with all those wonderful thank you notes =)

This post was edited by pinkiris on Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 23:31

• roper2008
    9 years ago

I would love to see some pictures of the Iris's in everyone's garden. Should
    be well established now.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH