Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uncgardener

UPDATE: Gardener of the Month

uncgardener
15 years ago

Thought I would start the new thread as we maxed out the other one.

To answer todays question....

In my garden things that are blooming now are Salvia, Foxglove, Verbena, Dandilions(not by my choice haha), and a few late blooming daffodils that are barley hanging on.

My new obsession is with daylilies. I have gone overboard collecting them this year..I would like to thank Lowe's, the Raleigh Plant Swap, and online nurseries for fueling my obsession, now I have to wait to see how they do :).

Comments (24)

• ollierose
    15 years ago

Great idea to start a new thread! Reposting the question here so others won't have to look back at the other one.

The 25th it is - deadline to mail packages
    Here are a couple of questions to get the posts going:

What is blooming in your yard right now?
    What new plant in your garden are you most excited about?

Blooming in my yard right now:
    Iris, geranium, asiatic lily, peony (almost), roses, gerbera daisy, bacopa, native violet, impatiens, pink clover.

I'm most excited about my new David Austin Celebration Tea Rose!

Happy Thursday everyone!
    Diana

• happyseed
    15 years ago

Hello everyone, this is the most fantastic time of the year. It had been in the seventies and eighties over the past weeks then we went down to 36 and then on down to 31 and frost. On the same day as the frost, it got to 78. Unfortunately one of my brugs got nipped on one set of its leaves (sheet blew off just a little) but other wise things are ok.

I have blooming in my yard: Reblooming and regular Iris, geraniums in the hangers on the decks, Snowball bushes,gerber daisys(bought and put there blooming), daffadills (in shade),columbine (wild and cultivated) and evening primrose (in bloom when got) and hundreds of dandelions and other wild weeds!!!!!!!!!!

I had the pleasure of keeping my grandson last night and most of the day so his mom is out mowing my yard (yea, yea). I am so pooped!!!!!!!! Just don't have all that energy I once had. See you, Sonja

• susandonb
    15 years ago

Hi Everybody,

I have been having a crazy life but it appears things are going to work out. Had a little bump in the road with our mortgage but the bank is working with us so still praying but feeling a bit more hopeful now. The stress of it all has kept me away, sorry.

Ok, blooming now? Let's see....Roses have started budding, a lilac has bloomed and passed but it was beautiful, petunias, summer daffs, irises.

I am most excited about my new dahlia bed, I think I posted a pic on the April GOM thread? If not I will post another pic! I have about 20 of my dahlias in it and some liatris, goldrush (a border perrenial). My neighbor just today brought me some early B'day gifts, she got me a gazing ball with a stand, a turtle garden statue and a frog statue. I don't have any garden critters and she has tons so she said I needed some in my new garden. I also have a solar powered bird bath that I got end of season at Lowes last year in my dahlia bed. So, when all these flowers are blooming this garden should be gorgeous! I will take pics and post when they explode. lol

Hope you all are having a wonderful Spring and all your blooms sound great.
    Susan

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

I don't have anything blooming yet, not even tulips! I'm waiting so patiently! We only had a few nice days (close to 60* so far). And on those days, I cleaned up the yard and planted a few things. I'll post pics once things begin to bloom. ;)

Updated April swap info~

I'm still waiting for three boxes to complete my month/APRIL.

Diana (Ollierose) is mailing the box out on Thursday, I'll post as soon as it arrives.

No contact from- Linda (Scents_from_heaven)
    Jamie (Pamperedavonchefof3) our swap Hostess.
    I'll post and update the thread as needed.
    I mailed Susan's box out already.
    Susan,
    I hope you enjoy all the goodies I sent! I had fun putting the package together for you! Have fun "Miss May" LOL! I know I really enjoyed April!

Has anyone heard from Jamie? Or Linda?

Hugs,
    Deb

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

hello ladies, I hope everyone is well.
    I have up un my gardens some daffodils,tulips and hyacinth and a forsythia in full bloom.
    I have heard not a thing from our hostess or scentsfrom heaven. I will be sending Miss Mays package out in the morning. Susan, I hope you enjoy what I picked for you.

• susandonb
    15 years ago

Oh Boy! Yippeee! Boxes comin soon, boxes comin soon,
    hihothedearyo, I got boxes comin soon!

• susandonb
    15 years ago

Were we that bad that the hostess bailed on us? lol

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

Susan,
    I hope not.. ;)

DC# for the package~0307 0020 0003 4320 4909.

Deb

• AmyinMO
    15 years ago

I don't mean to butt in or anything, but Jamie/pamperedavonchefof3 is MIA on several threads (one is a swap I'm involved in). I haven't come across any recent posts by her, and she hasn't responded yet to my e-mails.
    Certainly hoping and praying that everything's okay! :-\

--Amy (amyinmo)

• canyonwind
    15 years ago

Good Morning!

Magnificent morning!! Sunny...should be in the 80's today.

Blooming in my yard...roses, the last of the Dutch Iris, margeurites, coreopsis, gallardia, daisys, poppys, forget me knots, dianthus, snapdragons, lavender, calla lillies and lots of them...ect....my first hydrangea flower popped!! Love those!

Excited about...I planted several bareroot daylilys, bareroot purple rain salvias, roses, sun Meyer ferns and rosemary about a month ago in a certain area. Not a great area to plant due to the Queen Palm Trees and their roots...and the soil. Lots of gypsum, peat moss and compost for drainage. I had to put tomato cages over them...protection from Brutus the German Shepherd. He enjoys lounging on plants after I have just put them in the ground. I have been fighting this area for a while, so I will be a happy Bohemian if it works out. I must say they are all doing very well.

Susan, AKA Miss May, enjoy your month!!! And to all, enjoy your gardens!

Have a great weekend!

Annie

Susan...to funny...the hostess bailed on us because we were bad!!!! I do hope Jaime is OK!!

• susandonb
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I recieved from deb today. She sent;
    a cute garden tote bag, yellow glad bulbs, a bunch of seeds, Paper White bulbs, quite few bare root plants that I already planted and can't remember their names. pruning shears, a cute glass duckie.

I think that is it I hope I didnt forget anything. Thank you Deb I love it all.
    Susan

• christieb199
    15 years ago

Hi All,

I as well hope that the hotess is ok, but just wanted to throw the thought out, if she does not return, my birthday is June 13th and would gladly join.

Please let me know what you think regarding this issue.

I could run out and get Susan some cool gifts for her birthday :)

Christie

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

We do need to discuss this as a group. No one has heard from Linda or Jamie. How much time do you think we should wait before opening up the swap to fill the spaces/months? Or should we just keep it closed and take a break for the two months that they would of had? Sort of just waiting for them to return and catch up on all boxes.
    We really do need a hostess for the swap to keep track of boxes, post new threads, etc.
    Any thoughts, suggestions?

Hugs,
    Deb

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Deb,
    I have to say, I posted about this round robin on another thread.I have heard that one of the missing two have and is doing this with other round robins. I'm told that it's okay for someone else to step up to be hostess. I wouldn't be interested in doing that being so new to round robins, would you? I have actually thought about dropping out, we do need someone monitoring what's going on in here. Hopefully, the other participating members can put their two cents in too and we can figure this out. I'm easy and will go with the flow if someone wants to step in.

Have a great day, Lisa

• uncgardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Deb,
    I had a thought about this as well. If we move the people with the last two months (feb. and march 2009) to the months that the missing two have it could be a 10 month swap. No gaps, everyone receives 9 packages. If our hostess and scentsfromheaven do come back they could pick up those last two months and catch up and sending packages for the ones they missed if the still wished to participate. I would really like to keep this swap going as I have been "hoarding" cute things to send people :) As for hostess I am very new to GW and swaps as this is my first one. I would be happy for anyone to step in ;) even if just temporarily while we wait this out. Thats what I think anyway, my two cents hehe.
    It's a beautiful day out and I have some clematis to plant out by the mailbox. Have a good day everyone!
    Kara

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

I like the idea of moving the last two months to the missing months. As you said Kara, then they could take the last two months if they wish. I'm enjoying this swap too and wouldn't like to see it discontinued. That's my two cents worth on the issue...hmm....better make it a dime worths, two cents isn't worth anything...."L"!
    Linda

• happyseed
    15 years ago

Hi guys, I really would like this swap to continue. I think it is a good idea to move them to the other months. There are lots of things that come up in life that
    can't be helped. Many people are private and wouldn't feel comfortable sharing private issues. Hopefully they will contact us. I would hate for these ladies to miss out on something special and I really would not like to drop them. I really enjoy this swap idea. It makes someone very special for that month and one can get a lot of their wishes fulfilled, so let's try to keep it going. As for the hostess, I am returning to work (from vacation) and usually don't tend to communicate well until the weekends so I would not make a good one. Sonja

• canyonwind
    15 years ago

My thoughts...move Miss February (09) and Miss March (09) up to June and ???? making it a 10 month swap...and leave it at that. This is a fun swap...there is no reason to DC it.

I agree that someone needs to take over as hostess, so who wants to do it????? There are a few newbies to GW swaps here, including me, so maybe an experienced GW swapper will volunteer to take over as the hostess with the mostess!!

Susan...Miss May...super package from Deb!!!!

Happy Saturday!!

Annie

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Susan,
    I gotta tell ya, I didn't make the post office yesterday! I did make it today though, your conformation # is 03070020000467504136. I hope you like your package. Happy B-Day Miss May!!!

• susandonb
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    Been catching up on the thread. I want to continue with this swap. I would offer to be hostess but I don't like it when people just disappear or not follow through with their delivary without at least a reason offered. So, I am not sure I would make a good hostess, though I have held a few swaps and am currently hosting a coop on Dave's Garden site.

I will watch for your all's feedback and maybe our previous hostess will return. I hope she is ok? Has anyone privately emailed her?

• uncgardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello all,
    I am new to GW and swapping but if no one steps up as hostess I will do my very best to try and be the one to keep things going. I love organizing things! (As long as I can get some guidance from some of the older members of everything it entails) I have access to the internet at work and could easily update things on my lunch break if need be. I hope someone with more experience will step up, but I will be a fallback if need be. Ok, everyone have a great evening! I'm going to go vote (our nc primary is today)
    Kara

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

May I but in and offer my two cents on your hostess problem? Maybe each of you could take turns hosting for a month? Perhaps the person who was the Gardener of the Month previous can host for the next one? That way no one would be committed to a year of keeping track for the whole group.

Thanks,
    Tracy

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I've been checking in often to see if Linda (Scents_from_heaven) or Jamie (Pamperedavonchefof3) posted. Jamie has been contacted by email and so far hasn't responded. Has anyone tried to contact Linda?

Diana (Ollierose),
    Did the package go out on Thursday? Just checking, I haven't received it yet. Our mail's been running a little slow. Priority has taken up to 7 days.

I like Tracy's Hostess suggestion. We could all volunteer to host a month. Who would like to take Susan's month/MAY~ anyone? It's a little awkward Hostessing your own month, I can speak from experience, LOL! It's nice having someone else ask if boxes went out or not.

I would suggest seperate threads from now on for each person, or it's going to start to get very confusing of who received what.

Hugs,
    Deb

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Good Morning Ladies!
    I think that Jamie is missing from a couple of other round robins also. I think that the idea od a hostess per month is a good one. I will take the month of May. I'll start a new thread for conf# and what not.
    PLEASE DONT POST HERE