Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brittneysgran

update: may obf swap abc's of gardening

brittneysgran
15 years ago

I will be taking sign ups for our May swap until May 4th. Each will then be assigned a partner to send their swap box to.

The theme this month is the ABC's of Gardening: This is how it will work. When you get your partners name you will find plants to spell out their name:

For example if I have Maryanne's name I could send her

M-Marjoram

A-Astible

R-Rosy Wren (Daylily)

Y-Yarrow

A-Agastache

N-Next In Line (Bearded Iris)

N-Narcissus

E-Echinacea

and etc. It can be the name of the plant or just the plant in general. It can be the common, scientific, botanical, latin or whatever name. I know here in the mountains we call forsythia yellow bells. So it can be endless to get your letters to work out with the plant.

You can use your partners first name, middle name, last name, first and middle name, first and last name, middle and last name, gardenweb name and etc the choices are many.

Members playing so far:

NYVOICES99) Anita Lynn Morey Brown-19 letters

REMY) Remy Anne Rotella Orlowski-23 letters

BRITTNEYSGRAN) Shirley Sue McConnell Speed- 24 letters

HAZELNUTBUNNY) Melissa Dawn Lyons Headrick- 24 letters

SKOHLER) Lufurl Sue Shoebridge Kohler- 25 letters

AMYBABYBOY3) Amy Beth Richardson Adams- 22 letters

THERESA24) Theresa Marie Gatti Boring- 23 letters

LLBEAN) Laura Lynn Bramlet Wilkerson- 25 letters

MISSG) Gale Sowell-10 letters

VEEJA11) Carol Jane Adee Bea- 16 letters

SANDLAPPER ROSE)Jeanne Rita Wojcikiewicz Hertzog-29 letters

MELLEN)Mary Ellen Shoenhair Power-23 letters

DIRTUNDERMYNAILS)April Renea Nail Lucas-19 letters

RAGGEDYANN)Annie Elizabeth Milder McCleary-28 letters

DEBBYA)Deborah Ann Rachel Andruska-24 letters

WYNATIVE)Marie Elena Garrett Scharen Garner-30 letters

SQUANZON)(need name)

OUR MEMBER LIST:

Amybabyboy

Beth_b_Kodiak

Brittneysgran

Cedarnest

Debbya

Dirtundermynails

Earthly Delight

Hazelnutbunny

Ilovefarac

lil green thumb

LLbean

Lunamoon

Mellen

Missg

Momcat

Nyvoices99

Raggedyann

Remy

Sandlapper Rose

Squanzon

Skohler

Susandonb

Theresa24

Veeja11

Wynative

Maryanne-I read you will let me know today if you will be in the swap, sure hope so.

After I hear from Maryanne I will assign partners.

Shirley

Comments (150)

• skohler
    15 years ago

I'm finding it takes over 4 mins for this page to open
    tried 3 times to get in here I have plain dial up but never had much problem getting in till today .

so maybe others are haven problems also . yep feeling much better Just hate the eye drops they are either drowning me or Leave a very bad taste in the month :(.

well I have to go cope some recipes for feeding a huge croud :) you all have a great evening .
    susie

• llbean
    15 years ago

Remy ~
    I tried emailing you today and I will try again later, but it's not going thru.
    The 2 boxes are packed tight so if anything doesn't make it let me know. I was able with some really far stretching to do your whole name, so what ever doesn't make it let me know. Sorry to post here but your server is rejecting me right now.
    I'll try and send to you again tonight.
    Laura

• earthlydelights
    15 years ago

hi everyone.

laura, i did email you and made mention in the last month post - i have snail mail going to you. i did acknowledge -hope you see my note this time. see the link below.

my iris are looking wonderful, although they got weighed down some with the horrendous rain we just had for the past few days. today is just gorgeous though. i really need to spend some time weeding.

carol, i'm working on getting together those diamonds, opals and cash together and will post once the box is packed. i have to get through this very trying week first.

our weekend upstate was good, looked at quite a few properties - some nice, some not so nice. i got great news on friday - my final official approval came through - some of you already know my plans, but for those that don't, i'm working on adopting. i meet with my matching social worker next week, so by the end of the year (hopefully) i'll be a new mommy and have a daughter. after a year of classes and workshops and paperwork, it's finally official. i'll be thrilled when the day actually comes.

i did come home to very sad news. my BIL died over the weekend. he's my ex's bro and yet we stayed friends forever. can't say the same for the ex. it was all so sudden and no cause known yet. i just came back from the undertaker bringing a picture so they can get it just "right". my heart just aches so bad. i talked to him wednesday and i might have been the last person to have talked to him. my nephew found him on friday after he missed an appointment on thursday. i still can't wrap my mind around it.

so good news and bad news -- i guess that's what's called balance.

i wanted to post a couple pix of the baby, but i can't get into my PB account right now. she's growing like the beautiful flower she is. God has been so gracious giving me such an incredible g-babe. i know all the g-mom's can relate, that the love you have for your grans is just so different than any other love you ever felt. it's the best!

peace and health everyone,
    maryanne

Here is a link that might be useful: star wars flower

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    I hope everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day. I did. My brother who is a golf pro at a country club took a bunch of family out to eat there. They have a special Mother's Day buffet, and it was good! I'm not sure why he decided to spurge and get everyone together, but I'm happy he did.

Laura,
    Wow, usually email at least goes to my junk folder, lol. Did you try to email me from my page here or directly from your email? If directly from your email, try from the link on my page.
    Another wow, you used all the letters! I can't believe you did that!! I'll let you know when they arrive.
    I'm having a memory laps but either Jeanne or Annie(or both)is a quilter.

Susie,
    I'm glad you are doing ok. Remember to follow doctor's orders!

Sassy,
    The photo is gone. I hope you figured out what is was : )

Congrats on the guess Melissa!

Theresa,
    You are a crazy woman taking on all those teens, lol!

Gary want the computer, if I forgot anyone, You know I didn't mean it. : )
    Talk to you all later,
    Remy

• mellen
    15 years ago

Maryanne, How thrilling!!! I am so excited for you! Are you waiting for a baby or a young child, teen...? When we fostered then adopted our son at 13 then at 16, we only had a short amount of time when he was 13 to get the classes taken, the home visit, and all of the paperwork done. Like 6 or 7 weeks. Luckily we were working with a local agency, and we were able to move fast. What a whirlwind! Do you know anything about her yet, or is it when a child becomes available? My dear, I just am so happy for you. Can you tell???? LOL Please keep us posted, okay?
    Mary Ellen

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Maryanne,
    You must of posted when I started writing earlier. Anyway, Wonderful!! You are almost there : ) I'm sure you are so elated. Plus looking at property, it is an exciting time.
    I'm sorry to hear about your BIL though. He must of been a really great guy for you to remain friends.
    I would love to see some pics of the irises too.

Mellen,
    I forgot to post that I plan on mailing on Monday if that is good with you.
    Remy

• veeja11
    15 years ago

Anita, where are you ? hope to get your box togeather by next friday, I have been over worked this week. Maryanne, yoo hoo!!!!!! you will make a wonderful mommy. prayers are with you, so sorry for your loss.big hugs my friend. gg babes are good too. should we have a baby shower for you ?or a teen shower? when you find the right home you will know it, we did. what are you looking for ?Sue glad you are feeling better. hugs to all my bloomin friends
    carol

• nyvoices99
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    I'm still here, can't get rid of me that easy:) I have been bombarded with TON'S going on, another wedding, tons of Co-op plants to tend, have an order from NC Farms plugs coming in today. 800 tiny plugs to tend!! Yikes when will I ever learn? Luckily 500 of them are going to new homes, as soon as I give them a rest & back in the mail they go, so I won't have so many to tend.
    WOW!! Keeping up with you all is like chasing a cheetah through the rain forest, SLOW DOWN, so I can keep up:)
    Thanks for the B-day wishes:)
    Congratulations on the new babies.
    Have to go get busy, still have tons of plants to get in the ground before the FedEx man comes today & working on Shirley's box, sure hope not to be late, :)Anita

• amybabyboy3
    15 years ago

Maryanne, Congratulations that is so awesome. I know you will be so excited when you get to bring your child home. Children are so special! Take care, Amy

• dirt_under_my_nails
    15 years ago

Maryanne~Congrats on the adoption!!!!

Sue G~ your box is flying out today, as soon as my mail lady picks it up. USPS DC # 0103 8555 7494 3147 8826

later...April/dirt

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    15 years ago

nyvoices99 sends to brittneysgran
    remy sends to mellen
    brittneysgran sends to debbya
    hazelnutbunny sends to wynative - MAILED (RECEIVED)
    skohler sends to missg - MAILED - (RECEIVED)
    amybabyboy3 sends to raggedyanne
    theresa24 sends to sandlapper rose
    llbean sends to remy -MAILED
    missg sends to dirtundermynails
    veega11 sends to nyvoices99
    sandlapperrose sends to skohler
    mellen sends to llbean
    dirtundermynails sends to squanzon -MAILED
    raggedyanne sends to earthlydelights
    debbya sends to hazelnutbunny
    wynative sends to theresa24
    squanzon sends to amybabyboy3
    earthlydelights sends to veega11

Maryanne-I'm so excited that you finally heard from the adoption procedure. I have been keeping my fingers crossed for you. Wow we are getting two brand new babies and your new addition in our group. We will have plenty to OHHH and AHHH about then. I want to see those GB pictures. Dawson is so precious and gets so excited when he sees me come home. (They live right beside me). Sometimes I just leave my work and play games with him.

Laura-How great is that..using all the letters in Remy's name. WAY TO GO

Please everyone post the name and the plants that match each letter when you get your box.

Anita-It's so good to see you post...I know your yard will be beautiful again this year with all those new plants.

I know I posted earlier that we have until the 26th to mail our boxes but you may want to plan it a little earlier. I forgot Memorial Day falls on the 26th.

Shirley

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

GAME TIME

This time it will be for Hosta "Elegans","June", and Iris? The (? meaning I can't say because I'm sending one to Maryanne as well.)

My Son drives an Explorer, what kind of make and model car did they both decide would be a good one for DeAnna?

Maryanne, congratulations on the adoption, I'm so happy for you. I'm still working on your package,but will get it out this week. I'm off till tomorrow night at 11p.m. so I've got much to do in the yard if the rain holds off for a while. I'm also sorry for the loss of your BIL, my thoughts are with you.

Remy, no, I do cross stitch, I've always wanted to learn to quilt.

Laura, how generous of you to send all the letters of Remy's name.

Susie, I'm glad you liked and enjoy your icicle pansies; I love them too. They do like the cool weather, and will stop blooming as soon as it heats up, but they will return in the fall.

Anita, wow, all those plants, I wish I was not on the road so much. DH does a great job taking care of the yard, but I don't know how well he would do with that many babies.

Outside is calling my name, and I did get the bird feeders filled this morning. I feed them all year round;I really enjoy watching them when I'm off work.

Hope I didn't miss anyone.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• dirt_under_my_nails
    15 years ago

Annie~ maybe they liked your new car & got her one just like it? My guess will be Chevrolet Impala.
    later....April/dirt

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Annie-I will guess Ford Escape

Shirley

• llbean
    15 years ago

just my guess.. Ford Focus.
    It's all voice activated.

Laura

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

I'll guess a Honda, Acura.

Deb

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Nope, guess again girls.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

Hmm, Honda Acura's are a big hit with the kids over here, LOL. One more guess.. a Jeep Wrangler!

Deb

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

The keys are real odd looking.

• amybabyboy3
    15 years ago

Is it a jaguar?

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

NOoooooooo,

Another hint....... many airbags

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Polemonium viscosum- Dwarf Jacob's Ladder "Blue Swirl"

LIFE IS GOOD,
    ANNIE

• llbean
    15 years ago

a minivan. not sure if ford has one by chrysler makes a nice one.
    Laura

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

A nissan quest?

• amybabyboy3
    15 years ago

How a volvo?

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

No laura guess again.
    ANOTHER HINT
    It was first introduced in 1973

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

OK, this last hint will probably get it.

IT IS GERMAN MADE.

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

Maryanne, your news about the upcoming adoption is such good news! Best wishes.
    I am very sorry about your brother-in-law.

Susie, I am planning to mail your package on Tuesday. Hopefully when it gets there you will be able to deal with the plants okay and not upset your doctor. LOL

We are supposed to get some rain later. I know some have had an overabundance of it, but we can use a little right now.

Jeanne

• dirt_under_my_nails
    15 years ago

Range Rover maybe????
    later...April/dirt

• earthlydelights
    15 years ago

my guess is a mini cooper

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Volkswagon golf? I've always thought they were cute....Those and the VW rabbits. :O)

Maryanne~ I've been thinking it, but I don't think I've SAID it...CONGRATULATIONS on the upcoming addition!! This is a very exciting time, I'm happy for you! :O) Wishing you the best of luck!

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Bunny, you are on the right track, but it is not a golf......try again.

Annie

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    15 years ago

A passat?

I resceived my box from Marie! How much fun it was to get a box of PLANTS! Woo Hoo.

Marie sent:

Tiffany Rose (Didn't have this one yet)
    Hosta (a named one but the tag is outside right now)
    Easter Egg Plant (How cool!)
    Reed Grass (another one I didn't have yet)
    Euphorbia Diamond Frost (beautiful non-stop bloomer)
    Shadowdancer Fuchsia (I've never tried these yet)
    Appleblossom Amaryllis that she grew from seed!

Thanks so much Marie! I'm going to have a blast getting them planted this weekend.

Also, Jeanne, I will be getting yours together this weekend and plan to send on Monday. I still gotta get through this thing tomorrow with the teens!

Theresa

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    15 years ago

Oh I missed the part about 1973. I change my guess to a Volkswagen Beetle.

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    15 years ago

The more I think about it, I think a passat HAS been around a while and I think she'd want a bigger car so I will stick with the Passat. Ha, I'm fickle that way.

Theresa

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    I got home and found pkgs. on the porch which was a nice surprise. I forgot I had pkgs. coming, lol! I'm getting goofier and goofier. All I have to say is holy cr@p!!! about the plants. Laura really out did herself. She thought a few ingenious ways to complete my name, and she sent me some of my wants too! Plus the jewelry I won was in there too. It is beautiful!
    Here's my name:
    Really a stretch Painter's Pallette
    Elizabeth Anne Gernanium
    Matrona Sedum
    Yellow and Green variegated plant w/note saying I'll send you the name(which may be inthe email that I didn't read because she wrote all the plants down and I was good and wanted to be surprised.)

Astilbe Red Sentinel
    Not sure of name Hosta, possibly margio variegata
    Noid geranium 0
    Either Sweet Kate or Blue and Gold Spiderwort

Red Trillium
    Osprey Spiderwort
    Trollus
    Either Shasta or Crazy Daisy
    Ludivicai? Artemisia
    Little tiny Romance Hollyhocks
    Another Veronica Blue Candles

Obedient Plant
    Red Bee Balm
    Little Piece of painted fern
    Oops-really unsure of name Daylily probably Barbara Mitchell
    White Candles Veronica
    Sedum Blue Spruce
    Kinda slow growing Carex Silver Septre
    fushIa

Amazing! Thanks so so much Laura.

Ok Gary wants on the computer. I'll come back and read every thing later. I've got to go potting now.: )
    Remy

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Annie~ Maybe a Jetta?

Remy & Laura~ WOW!!! And here Remy was kidding when she gave her whole name!! LOL That is an amazingly creative box, Laura! How wonderful of you to send that many plants, I know Remy is tickled!! :O)

Today I received a call from my mom, seems my older brother went and fell off a cliff this weekend. LOL Amazing how things work....I've spent half my life telling him "Oh, go jump off a cliff!"...and here the fool goes and does it.
    Okay, you'd have to know my brother, but he's a goober. And I mean that in the most loving, sincere way. LOL A cross between Barney Fife & Jeff Foxworthy. Clumsier than a blindfolded 3 legged mule. Love him to death, but he's ALWAYS getting hurt & has the hospital on speed dial. They moan when they hear his voice, he's there so often. (He fell out of a tree last summer & broke 3 ribs & a wrist....he landed on his CAR!! THEN he shot himself in the foot...and his gun was still in the HOLSTER...he's a cop, doesn't that make you feel better?? LOL)
    ANYWAY...he's fine, he'll need sugery on his leg to repair some damage (that would have been minimized, if he would QUIT WALKING ON THE DERN THING!!!) But, he can't be told how to behave. AGH, Silly men. :O)

Does anyone else have a man in there life that acts like this?

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Teresa24, yep they bought a VW Passat, they traded in their VW bettle for it. I will get your package out to you either tomorrow or Saturday morning after I get off work.

Bunny, how funny about you always telling your DB to jump off a cliff. I'm glad he will be ok.

Awesome package Remy!

Good guesses everyone!

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi all again,
    I'm too tired to read everything still,lol. After posting, I mowed the lawn, potted all the plants, and the tomatoes that I hadn't re-potted yet!
    I just wanted to post that I found out Jeanne made it into the Wall Street Journal too!!!! When I sent emails I didn't want to say she was going to be in and find out I was wrong, lol, because June, the reporter, didn't tell me yesterday. Anyway, it is too cool.
    Ok, I need to go to bed!
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Wall Street Journal article

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Hi Ladies,

Boxes are flying today and here are the confirmation #'s

Maryanne- 0307 0020 0000 3240 0629

Bunny- 0307 0020 0000 3240 0636

Theresa- 0307 0020 0000 3240 0643

I have to leave for work tonight so I better make my last day off count.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Theresa~ YAY! Aren't ya glad you changed your answer (again)? :O)

Remy & Jeanne~ That's exciting for ya'll! Congratulations, that's a once-in-a-lifetime thing! :O)

Happy Friday to everyone! Have a great weekend!!

Melissa

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Remy and Jeanne-How exciting....Can I have an autograph? That article is excellent and to think Remy you sent me some of the odd Tomato seeds. Can't wait to sample them.

Teresa-Congratulations on winning Annie's contest.

Laura-Remy's box sounded awesome....WAY TO GO

Shirley

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Packages are now in the hands of the post office.

Theresa, on the dwarf Jacob's Ladder, I might have put Blue Swirl on the tag, it should be Blue Whirl if I screwed it up.( I guess not enough coffee this morning)

Ladies, I just want to let you know that I will host the second annual named Bearded Iris Swap after iris are done blooming. So, with this in mind keep some back for this swap. Also, any suggestions as when this will be a good time for everyone just give me a shout.

Shirley, did you get my e-mails?

Time to get back outside, I'm weeding, YUCK.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

P.S. If anyone has any named bearded iris I do not have, and are interested in a trade please don't hesitate to ask. I have to replace some so don't be afraid to ask even if I have them on my list. I know my list is in a much needed update, but that will have to be when I'm not on the road, and it is a rainy day.

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

Wow, you guys have been very busy posting! I can't keep up. ;) I worked on my package today for Melissa! I ended up sending her first & last name (15 things). Hopefully, I spelled it right and counted right, LOL!

It's on the way today, I'll post the DC# when I get back from the PO. Have a wonderful day, Ladies! It's gorgeous outside, finally the rain let up! I have so many things to do outside today, I have to get out there!

Hugs,
    Deb

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

DC# 0307 0020 0003 4325 5758 for Melissa's package.
    It's too nice outside to be on the computer, so I'm making this short. ;)

Deb

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Wow, 15 things, Deb?! Holy cow! :O) How generous of you!!
    I'll be eagerly waiting!!
    Thanks so much!!

Melissa

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    15 years ago

Oh my! I have never won one of these. How exciting! Okay. Party is over. I had 35 people at my house tonight!!!! Half of them were 14 years old! Pool party was supposed to start at 6:00. So what time do you think we got the first rain shower in OVER 1 1/2 MONTHS!!!???? Not just a rain shower but a drenching thundershower! Yep, 6:00. But as the grilling finished up it did clear and all turned out well. Now except for soccer for most of the day tomorrow, this weekend's focus is getting Jeanne's box ready to ship Monday.

Theresa

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    I hope everyone is doing good. I finally took my brother and his fiancee out to eat! His birthday was only March 6th, lol. It was fun.

Theresa,
    Lol about the rain! It figures, but I'm sure everyone had a wonderful time.
    Congrats on the win!

Shirley,
    Autograph, Lol!
    Dawson is lucky to have you living right next to him : )

Melissa,
    "cross between Barney Fife & Jeff Foxworthy. Clumsier than a blindfolded 3 legged mule" LOL!! That is just too funny. Gary can be an idiot, but he's a big boy so he usually breaks everything around him as opposed to him breaking, lol.

Annie,
    Cross stitch! I knew you did something exceptionally well with cloth.

Anita,
    Wow you are nuts with running a co-op with all those plants and having a wedding.

Mellen,
    I'm suppose to have Monday off, but the weather report looks ugly as of right now, cold and rain. If it stays bad, I'll be working on Monday and having off on Wednesday to send. I'll keep you updated.
    Remy

• dirt_under_my_nails
    15 years ago

Hi All! Sue G's box has been delivered. I checked confirmation #. Hope everything arrived in good shape.We are taking the kids to a local park tomorrow. The city is having a big butterfly release. Thought it might be interesting to watch!

Remy~ better late than never they say!LOL!!

I gotta brag over on this thread tooo.....Taylor did wonderful on her end of the year testings.Perfect score on reading & really high everywhere else. She will be in the gifted class next year! We are so proud!

later...April/dirt

• sguanzon
    15 years ago

I received April's box on Friday --- filled with wonderful plants and the cutest metal sun face - I just love it!

Plants I received (she spelled out my maiden name)
    S= Scabiosa
    T= Tuberose
    R= Red Hot Poker
    O= "Oscar" glads
    U= unknown pink mini rose
    S= Stachys byzantia (Lamb's Ear)
    S= Salmon shades black eyed Susan Vine

plus three daylilies "Gertrude" "Darius" and "Daring Deception"

Thanks so much April!

Sue G.