Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dieg01991

NEW: Houseplants/Tropicals/Annuals

dieg01991
14 years ago

I'm excited (and nervous) to host this swap. This is the first swap I have ever hosted. I look to you seasoned veterans to give me tips and pointers along the way. :-) Oh, and you are all more than welcome to post games and any fun activities you think of. I will try to think stuff up, but anyone is welcome to jump in!

The swap details...

The theme for this month's swap will be Houseplants/Tropicals/Annuals!! These may be in the form of plants, cuttings, bulbs, tubers. (Keep in mind that some people's perennials may be considered annuals/tropicals to us northern folk. :-)

Also as a part of this swap, I would really like to encourage all of the members out there who haven't tried trading plants yet because they are too nervous or worried to try it. I am in a swap this month where we were all asked when we joined Garden Web and how we found the Round Robin forum. Almost everyone said that they started out on GW just reading the forums and then started trading with seeds. Mostly everyone waited a looooong time to start trading plants because they were too scared to try it. We have all been there, but there's no better time than the present to jump in and try it out. It's easier than you think, trust us!! We will help you out and answer any questions you may have about how to package everything and how to send it. You get a lot of great plants for cheap, and you will also get to meet some great people here!! I for one waited a year before I started trading plants. I was convinced that I would do it all wrong, the plants would all be DOA, and everyone would end up hating me! LOL So as a part of this swap, I will try to include some tips of the new traders along with other activities to keep this fun.

The fine print...

1. Sign up and post lists between now and May 31st.

2. Include a list of the plants that you want AND a list of the plants that you have to trade for this swap. You could also refer to your lists on your trade page if those are up to date. I WILL be using these lists to match partners so please make sure you include your most up to date lists. For this swap, I would like to limit it to sending plants only. (But, of course, you and your partner can agree to send whatever you want to each other...but you both have to agree on a fair trade).

3. I will post swap partners sometime during the first week of June. Again I WILL try to match partners as best I can based on their trade list provided.

4. All packages need to arrive at their new homes by June 30th. (That means they should leave your house no later than the 27th, by Priority Mail) Please post when you send and receive.

5. and, most importantly....HAVE FUN!!!!

Your first tips...

-- Boxes containing live plants should be sent PRIORITY MAIL and include a delivery confirmation number (DC#). Please write "LIVE PLANTS" on the box. It would be nice if you also wrote on the box "Keep out of the sun" or "NO Heat" or something like that so that your mail carrier knows to put the box in the shade (so your box of plants won't cook out on someone's mailbox, like mine, all day). It will be very warm most places during June.

-- To avoid your box of plants spending the weekend in the post office, the best days to ship boxes are Monday-Wednesday or Saturday.

-- Also do consider leaving "APPROPRIATE" feedback in the Rate and Review.

Are you in?!?

-Amy

Comments (99)

• bigmama4ever
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

YES!!!!! i bought the camara and it offered the upload..i noticed that it automaticaly goes to windows too. but cant find that url or htlm to follow some instructions i found..i do mail them even the whole album..but cant figure how to post..and happy birthday..i would apriciated it soooo much. i do love that garden junk..norma

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Thanks Regina, its really been a rough couple of months! Hopefully all will calm down a bit for a little while! Tall Ships is a Race across the Atlantic this year, we hope to see them in Halifax (and possibly some other ports too) when they stop there before heading back accross the Atlantic to Ireland! This will be the second time I have seen them. See the link below for all the info! BTW the USA has a ship in this year called Mystic! nots sure what her position is (they are in the first leg of the race now out of Spain) all very exciting!

Oh yes that is Jackmanii, I own 6 or 7 clematis now and this old one is still the STAR!!! At the moment it is DRIPPING in purple flowers and it will be wave after wave from now till November!

Barb That geranium is gorgeous! I will send you some with the Iris I have set aside for (you all colours but white) I have never managed to make gereniums root! but you are a clever girl, I am sure you can do it! The Brug is "Pink Masterpiece" one of 4 I have (2 more than I need) I also have Jean Pasco, my NOID yellow from last year and one unknown, they are all goring like mad things in all this rain. I can't wait till they flower. Then you will have to tell me how to keep cuttings over winter.

Happy B Day Amy And happy Memorial Day everyone!

Amy, Some sort of IT Degree is my guess. Even though I use my computer for my work, I really don't know much outside of my specialty

Have a great evening everyone!

Frances

Barb

Here is a link that might be useful: Tall Ships Atlantic Race

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Norma

I use Kodak Gallery software, I think you can share Albums, photos, slideshows.

The info should be at the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Kodak Gallery!

• dieg01991
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi!
    Ok, as promised, here is your tip on how to include images on Garden Web.

Most people use Photobucket for their images on Garden Web because Photobucket makes it so easy to add an image. Here is all you have to do from Photobucket...

To get images to work from a site other than Photobucket is a bit trickier and requires a little bit of HTML programming. Here are the steps below:

Step 1: Go to your fully expanded image and copy the URL value. The URL is the value in the address bar at the top of your browser window (see screen shot below). Paste this value to a temporary location (Word or Notepadetc)

Step 2: Copy the following code and paste it in to your temporary location (GW won't let me put this in as one line so you'll have to remove the returns - it should all be on one line)

a href="URL" target="_blank">img src="URL">/a>

Step 3: Replace the word URL in the code in step 2 with the actual URL value of your image (the value you copied from step 1). You will need to paste it in both places in the code. So, the final code should look similar to this (this one is for my sample image).

Step 4: Paste the final value from step 3 into your message in Garden Web. When you preview the message, you should see your photo and it will also be a link to your picture.

I hope that this makes sense to all. Please let me know if you cant get it to work and I will help troubleshoot for you.

Amy

P.S. This tip should help you guess what my career is ;-)

• galium
    14 years ago

Amy-Are you a Computer Programer???? That is terrific what you've done in your post. I've just recently learned how to save a page and post it. I've helped a few people with uploading and posting pictures from Photobucket. Usually I open up a chat room and just walk them through it. You have a wealth of info at your finger tips.LOL I also taught myself some basic HTML so I could spruce up my Exchange Page. Where were you then???? No one seemed to be able to help me so it was just trial and error.

Barb-With serpentine propagation using a cutting you just stick the cut end into the soil. Then you wind the cutting in the pot like a coiled snake. You have to weigh down either side of each leaf node so it's in contact with the soil. I use hair pins then just remove them when the plant is rooted. Some people use small stones. You can do this with some plants outside but it's done while still attached to the mother plant but you don't do it in a coil. I couldn't stand wearing that suiting every day. When I worked for our Cooperative Extension I had suit up every time we sprayed pesticides. Outside in 90 degree weather....YUCK

I have a Kodak digital camera too. Just love it! So easy to use.
    Hope everyone had a good weekend
    Mariann

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Goodmorning Swappers :)

I feel bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning...It poured here last night... Good sleeping weather..:)

Frances I could just hug ya! Thank you so much for the iris and geranium... I cant believe as much as I love iris I havent invested in them....Gwers are the best between you and Michelle's swap and iris for postage I am gonna have some beautiful iris to enjoy next year..:) That makes this Wi girl happy..:)

Hi Mariann Thank you for explaing that process for me.. I have never heard of that rooting method... Ouch 90 degrees in a suit...Good diet program lol We would freeze we had to maintain a certain temp in the lab for the organisms we were working with.. I infected myself one time...I had the worst head cold of my life...I still have hard time smelling... I am glad I dont do that anymore..:)

Amy you are really good at this puter thing... I wish I could do that...I am glad your trip went well and happy you are home safe and sound....

hahah Frances that is morning glory under your bruggie... I should have known that..I planted some yesterday under mine too..:) I have heard of the tall shipe that is gonna be so much fun for you...They bring in those old ships into greenbay so you can tour them....

How is our Regina doing down there..Are you wearing waders yet? I hope you are up high... Wow florida is having some strange weather...

Bigmama I just realized you are in the desert... You can get coleus to grow there? Wow that is neat..:)

Okay time to get motivated..:) Have a good day everybody..Barb

• dieg01991
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good morning group!
    I have finally caught up on all of the posts, woohoo!! Looks like some really GREAT lists so far! Yummy!! Don't forget to also mention or list what your "wants" are so that I can match you with a proper partner. I will post the updated participant list later.

Welcome Dawn!! Great to have you! Don't worry if you need a bit more time, everyone understands about being busy. Just let us know.

Welcome Mariann!! I'm so glad that you decided to cave...err...I mean join the swap!! Thanks for the info about serpentine propagation, I've never heard of that either.

Barb, I don't know anything about Patchouli. I guess you will have to experiment! :-) LOL about the plantaholic remark too, that's awesome!

Melissa, so sorry to hear that you have to drop! I understand though, it is a busy time of year! I will keep you on our list under the "may be" though just in case you change your mind! :-)

Regina, thanks for the compliment about my plants. You send excellent plants too!!!

Frances, I hope that you decide to join us for this swap! I understand if you can't though, life it super busy right now!! By the way, where do you go for the summers again? Do you live some place else? How does that work with your potted plants, how do they survive without you? (I'm asking because some day I would love to live someplace warm in the winter and then come here in the summers). Beautiful pictures by the way!

Oh, and we have a winner on the little quiz....Mariann!!! Yes, I am a Computer Programmer and my Master's degree will be in Software Engineering. Thanks for playing everyone, I will think of another activity for us soon. Mariann, good for you for teaching yourself some HTML! Your Exchange Page looks great! Too bad I didn't know you then, I would have been more than happy to help out. Looks like you've done well on your own though! I am here now if you ever have any more questions. :-)

I worked out in the garden all day yesterday and boy am I sore today!! It's really hard to focus at work this morning, I have SOOO MUCH to do at home!!! I need to take a whole week off to get caught up. I got all the winter sown veggies planted yesterday, so that's done! Now I need to move on to the annual/tropical garden. That should be fun! :-) I am trying out a new technique for my potatoes this year and growing them in a barrel. Anyone ever tried that? I don't have great luck with them in the ground so I thought I would try this method. I got the barrel planted yesterday too.

Ok, enough procrastinating...now I have to focus on working!! LOL! Have a great day everyone!!
    Amy

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Gee Amy, don't tell me you are a web programmer!! I can write some html and css but most of the scripting gives me a migrain! (php eeeeeeuuuuuuuu!) I have had a website for 12 years, but I haven't updated it for the last three.

Barb, you are going to love having Iris! MorningGlories! lol I love them! especially now that I have found the perfect places for them just enough filtered light to grow and bloom, but not enough to make the flowers close up! My morning glories bloom all day long! I just wish I could find more large flowered varieties My 'Heavenly Blue' make all of the other flowers look so small!

Mariann, I have used that layering technique both in pots and outdoors in the garden. I really want to try it with roses. I am told it is a good way to propagate roses that are slow to root from cuttings

Well it is STILL raining. My yard is a muck pit, the tropicals are growing, but really are missing the sun and heat. Everything is being devoured by slugs and aphids. The worst thing of all is that a lot of plants are growing too fast and will need support to prevent them from flopping over. I so wish we had planted our 'lawn' all this rain would have really got that grass growing!

Gotta run, I have a lot of work to do before I leave (still have to buy my airfare)

Have a great day everyone!

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

lol Amy totally missed your post

I spend time with my family in Canada every summer, Toronto, Montreal and various places in Nova Scotia. We also travel to the mountains (Great Smokies) at least one week every year. And my sisters and I try to do at least one road trip (mucho driving and acting like tourists)

Plant care can be tricky, but I am usually gone for 2 week segments with a week or so in between. Most plants will make it without too much human intervention if you plan ahead a bit. I don't water my ornamental plants that are planted in the yard after they are established. If they don't make it, they will not survive in this climate, I don't need them. I know that sounds harsh, but two years of water restrictions and drought have forced me to make that decision.

Pots can be tough, but this year my DH & MIL will not be with me during my longest trip, so they will tend the potted plants. Most of my plants are pretty tough and their biggest risk will be over watering ( my MIL frets a bit )

lol

Off I run again!

• chellflower
    14 years ago

hi y'all,

we got back from our camping trip yesterday. we stayed at lake bistenou state park in LA, really nice there...and pretty with tons of spanish moss hanging from every pine tree! lots of fun and good eatin'..had a crawfish boil with cajun corn on cob, potatoes, etc. saturday and grilled brisket, pork chops, chicken on sunday.

Amy, thanks for the pic posting info...I have a Photobucket acct, but haven't used it in a while.

BigMama, I got your email, and I joined the kodak gallery, but it didn't show your pics when I clicked the link as it did before...???

Frances,love that jackmani clematis! I sprinkle epsom salts in the garden to keep slugs away. I also mix my own natural pesticides....visit jerry bakers website at the link below for his garden/lawn tonic recipes..they really work.

Gotta run....have to unpack and clean out the camper. DH is s'pose to leave thursday to start his new trucking job so we gotta get stuff caught up before he goes..he'll be gone a month this first time, then get 4 days off, after that he should be home one day a week. Gonna take some adjusting to get used to that but the paychecks better be good or I'm gonna ground him to local jobs only, LOL!

I'll try to get my lists posted by tomorrow....
    y'all have a great day!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: garden tonic recipes

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

LoL Frances it is raining here too... There is something about a garden that is so peaceful after a good rain..Well you can see where WI is finally waking up after a long hard winter... I took some pics of the plants that are in this RR.. :) The one begonia that has a rizome can it be taken as a cutting? I know the angel wing can.... Look at my messy GH..LOL What is a girl to do with all this room..hahahh one side opens up right into one of the vege gardens..How neat al thought of it.. Frances your trip sounds way exciting... We never go anywhere except down home sometimes..:) ps the big plumie is not in the rr lol :)

{{gwi:1272525}}

{{gwi:548197}}

{{gwi:552533}}

{{gwi:1272570}}

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Look at what I found today..:) Yippee Yahoo doesnt take much to make me excited...I went over to the neighbors today...She taught me so much today...I love going over and learning from her.. It has been raining all day... We needed it..I learned how to do rex begonias with leaf and stem cutting... I hope it works I plan on trying... Wish me luck... Have a good night....Barb ps I am gabby again lol newbie gardner

{{gwi:492481}}

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Does anybody have Begonia luxurians seed I am on a hunt for them... I would die if I found them...Lol Barb

• ladygreensleeves
    14 years ago

Hey everyone, floating here in Florida but not complaining. I love the rain and so do the plants. Barb was right about our wierd weather. I even managed to get a bit of a sunburn Sunday before the next wave of rain showers moved on shore. Goes from one extreme to another here on a daily basis.

Well Amy I was going to guess computer programming but changed my mind ...should learn by now to go with my first guess....kicking self in butt. And your instructions and pictures speak volumes for those who need visuals ;p
    Barb...love your pictures of your plants, GH and home...reminds me of the home I had in Indiana in the country. Begonia's can be propagated from leaf cuttings and basal stem cuttings. I can if you wish scan and send to you via e-mail from my book of propagation the methods for both. Or post it here if everybody else wants to know how it's done :)

Fran, once you went in more detail about the Tall Ships I remembered seeing something on tv about it. Your trips sound awesome too with abit of mischief(w/sisters)and lots of fun and loads of adventure. Your jackmantii is beautiful. I have tried seeds and cutting with no luck,maybe someday I will find a rooted plant.

Chell your camping trip sounds like it was fun too with excellent food choices....Yummy. Camping is so much fun, but the slugs here won't go. They can't live without ac,tv,and a pc for more than a few hours. You would think it was life support or something. I love camping,fishing,hiking,campfires, and being one with nature. Sigh........

I got two new plants over the weekend....no surprise there huh.....hahahaha. I got a begonia with pink double flowers from the grocery store on sunday. And yesterday I found at Lowes a verigated Lipstick plant I just had to have. It has smaller leaves than the green lipstick .

Here's some eye candy for my fellow plantaholics.

Anyone know what kind of flower/bulb this is?
    {{gwi:201942}}

Regina

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Thanks for understanding, Amy! I just have so much going on, tons of personal stuff- PLUS hosting the MNF swap. It all hit me at once, I think!

Not to high-jack the thread here, or anything (please forgive me!), but does anyone want to do a personal trade for a small clivia? I've got 1, and it's between 1.5-2 years old....so it's still in it's childhood. LOL It needs a new home, but I didn't want to post over on the plant exchange because I got nearly 50 emails from the iris I posted there! (it's amazing how many people don't respond through the posts- just grab your email and send you a personal message! LOL)

ANYWAY. If any of you ladies are interested, just let me know. :O)

Have a great week, everyone!
    Melissa

• ladygreensleeves
    14 years ago

Hey Melissa was sorry to see you had to leave us. What are you looking for in the way of a personal trade. Is there something your really wanting? Inquiring minds want to know, so let us know........wished you had been able to stay.

• gardendee
    14 years ago

Hi Amy! I just got my Graduate Certificate in Medical Informatics and really thinking about post grad in Software Engineering because I have an itch to develop new medical softwares.
    I am joining this swap. Geeks unite! LOL.

My HAVE list:
    White butterfly bush
    Ananas nanus (miniature pineapple)
    Zebrina Rojo banana
    Dwarf Picasso canna
    Plumeria cuttings (white, yellow, pink, and red)
    Frosty Pink brugs
    Mixed dwarf cannas
    Billbergia Pyramidilis (bromeliad)
    Red ti plants and cuttings
    Variegated gardenia
    Variegated hydrangea
    White butterfly gingers
    Double/triple orange daylilies
    South African aloes (amazing orange flowers similar to red hot poker's)
    Kalanchoe (double white, orange, pink)
    Variegated spider plant
    Green spider plant
    Chartuese potato vine cuttings
    Green Ivy
    Purple Wandering Jew (2 Kinds- solid purple and purple with white edge)
    Small Anthurium
    Double white Datura seedlings
    Oakleaf hydrangea seedlings
    Calamondin seedlings
    Purple Canna Indica
    Green Canna Indica
    Mammoth green colocasia
    Colocasia "Illustris"
    Edible Asian Taro
    Purple Ruellia
    Tall green gardenia
    Purple Coneflower seedlings
    Lots of lemon balm
    Seven Sisters' roses rooted and cuttings
    Red Cascade rose rooted and cuttings
    Louis Phillipe rooted and cuttings
    Mixed Coleus
    NOID hosta seedlings
    Lemon grass
    Red amaryllis
    Variegated hibiscus cuttings
    NOID tillandsia
    Queen's tears bromeliad
    NOID bromeliad
    Southern oak seedlings
    Left over mixed balsam seedlings
    Left over cherry tomatoes and other heirloom tomatoes (seedlings)
    Canna tropicana
    Bengal canna
    Scarlet Buckeye seedlings
    Texas buckeye seedlings
    Variegated shell ginger
    Small pink crinum bulbs

My WANT list:
    Any bananas except for zebrina rojo, basjoo, plantain, saba, and ice cream (really want dwarf orinoco, ladyfingers and apple banana but will appreciate any that I do not have)
    Butterfly bush (pink and purple)
    Butterfly weed (anything aside from orange)
    Huskers' red pestemon
    Russian sage
    Joan Senior daylily
    Shasta Crazy Daisy
    Double or shredded brugmansias
    Crinum "Sangria" or "Queen Emma"
    Upright sedums with unusual foliage
    Losts of hens and chicks for a topiary project
    Crocosmia (yellows and reds)
    Perennial salvias (I have May Night and Blue Bedder)
    Coneflowers (any color other than pink and purple)
    Rudbeckia "Goldsturm"
    Anything that will attract the wildlife into my yard in the burbs in zone 8B
    Please see my list for some more WANTs if you are feeling generous :=)

Thank you.

Dee

• bigmama4ever
    14 years ago

regina love those vines..great list dee...coleuses here in my part of the world are like house plants. as soon as it gets cold in side they go , or break a piece off and put in water..thanks for the info on the pics, ill try it as soon as i can, a little busy, keep postin pics love to see all those great lookin stuff, here in az, they are a little slower in growing, even though spring is almost over in a week or two...chell ill send again will include my newests additions. glad you had fun my kids went campin and my grand kids were callin me they caught some fish and ate them the next day!!!!! later norma

• dieg01991
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good afternoon everyone! This day is flying by but I just wanted to check in quick while I eat lunch. Welcome to the group Dee, so happy to have you!! Oh boy!! That looks like a great list, we're all drooling now!! Geeks unite, that's awesome!!

Great pictures everyone!!! I need to get some posted too!

Ok, we need a new activity for this swap. As I mentioned above, I am in a swap this month where we were all asked when we joined Garden Web and how we found the Round Robin forum. So, I would like to copy Margaret's (the host of the other swap) idea (here's where I give credit to margaret_2007 from the OBF group, thanks Margaret!!) and ask all of you to answer the following questions:

1. How long have you been a member of GW?
    2. How did you choose your GW user name?
    3. When did you discover the Round Robin part of GW after joining?
    4. How much trading have you done?

I want to encourage everyone to participate in this, even if you're not swapping with us! I will catch up on the posts later, but I wanted to get this posted quick. Hope you're all having a great day!!!

Amy

• dieg01991
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ok, I'll start...

1. How long have you been a member of GW? My member page says "First registered on January 17, 2008" but I didn't become very active until last summer. I started by reading the forums. As for swaps, I started with seed swaps several months later. I was very nervous to try plants, I thought I would do it all wrong and people would hate me. lol!

2. How did you choose your GW user name? Diego was the name of my favorite cat, (the most awesome cat ever!) and he was born in 1991. Dieg01991 is what I used for my yahoo email address and when I chose it, I had to use a zero instead of an o because diego1991 was already taken. So when I registered for GW, I used the same name.

3. When did you discover the Round Robin part of GW after joining? About the middle of last summer. I was looking at the plant exchange and someone had posted a trade for houseplants. One of the Round Robiners replied that there was a Houseplant Round Robin swap going on and to check it out. So I joined the swap and have been hooked ever since!

4. How much trading have you done. I'm not sure exactly how much trading I've done, may be about 30-40 trades or so. I am starting to track them in a spreadsheet. I have been pretty lucky so far (knock on wood) and haven't had any major disappointments. I really like trading for plants the most, I don't need any extras/gifts included. I am so excited for this summer, last year I didn't start to trade until middle of the summer.

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Hmmm...Well, Regina...I just don't know! LOL
    I guess anything, really. Something easy to grow, definitely. I"m not picky, though. I just need to get the little feller out of the cramped pot it's in, and into a new home.

• gardendee
    14 years ago

Officially since summer of 2007. Technically, I've been lurking since 2005 and just got the courage to finally register two years later.

My GW user name is gardendee. I am Dee and I love to garden. Dee also means "bee." So I am the garden bee.

Not until winter of 2008. The ladies from the winter sowing forum started one and I joined. I had so much fun and getting the package around Christmas was the best gift ever!

I have done lots but I am way behind in doing R&R so I do not blame other traders if they forget to leave an R&R feedback for me either. I think I'll make ammend soon and look up my spreadsheet of recent trades for people I owe an R&R.
    I like trading plants too. I specially like filling a large priority flat rate box and trying to squeeze one or two more plants in it.

BTW, I also have lots of purple basil and senna bicapsularis seedlings. My pot ghettos need to be thinned out so please pick me! LOL.

I would also love to get a hold of a fan or two of Little Business daylily.

Thank you.

Dee

• ladygreensleeves
    14 years ago

Ok I'll take a stab at this:

I joined May 1 st 2008 so I just celebrated one year with the fine folks of gardenweb :0)
    Well that was a combination of things....first I like to think I'm a lady, than I wanted something to do with gardening so the green came to mind, Than and don't ask me why but Captain Kangaroo(Mr Greenjeans) popped into my mind and thats where sleeves came from so the name ladygreensleeves was born....corny huh.
    Wasent too long after finding the seed exchange, I think someone posted a swap going on at the R&R that peaked my interest.
    Oh boy.....A whole bunch,I enjoy trying to find out how much I can pack into a box and if I can squeeze one more plant/cutting in. And it's like Christmas when a box arrives and you get to unwrap all the plants/cuttings.

Welcome Dee ....super list, I'll pick you....lol. Along with everybody else!

Bigmama I love vines, thats kinda my thing out in the yard. That and my hanging baskets of Hoya's and asst houseplants. I do my best to cover that ugly wood fence. I have some new vines I need to get planted out, they are a white sky vine(tiny) a pandora's vine and a couple of jasmines. I also have the start of kiwi vines out there.Did I say I love vines.....lol.

melissa...what do you define as easy? I have easy and not so easy and down right impossible or so they seem at times.....lol. I'm kidding of course, but you know how when you have something and someone comes along and saz's how in the world do you get that to grow????Those are impossible for me to grow or they are not native or supposed to grow here and yet you have a beautiful one right there growing in your yard.....hehehe, that just tickles me to no end....

Regina

• dieg01991
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, I'm finally caught up and posting our latest participant list! :-)

In for sure...
    Barb (rosepedal) - Haves list posted
    Norma (bigmama4ever) - Lists posted
    Regina (ladygreensleeves) - Lists posted
    Chell (chellflower) -
    Dawn (dtm1966) -
    Mariann (galium) - Lists posted
    Dee (gardendee) - Lists posted

Getting ready to cave/May be...
    Frances (fcoffill)
    Melissa (hazelnutbunny) - Lists posted

These are some awesome lists!! It is going to be very difficult to match up partners!

I just realized that I posted my perennials on here too, oops, that was a mistake. My partner could certainly choose from anything on my list but I didn't mean to post those on this thread. That's what I get for trying to do so many things at one time!

Frances, sounds like you will have a ton of fun this summer with all your traveling. It's nice that you have your DH and MIL to water for you. I always feel bad asking people to water for me. I know I'll here "Boy, you sure do have a lot of plants" from them when I return! :-) I totally missed your other post too. What is your website for? I've created a few for friends business sites and then also one for our wedding last year. Nothing too spectacular. Other than that, I mostly work on enterprise web applications for large companies. I love the work, it's usually a lot of fun.

Oh Barb, your yard is so awesome!! I wish you lived closer to me, I would just love to see it in person. I need you to come here and help me with my backyard. LOL It is so open and I am trying to make paths through it so it all flows nice like yours. But it's a lot of work since there aren't any mature trees and it's mostly grass!! I'll try to get pictures of it posted this weekend. And I continue to be jealous of your greenhouses too!!!

Regina, variegated lipstick?!?! First of all, I'm shocked they had such a thing at Lowes, second of all, I'm greeeeen with envy!!!

Don't worry about it Melissa, you're not hijacking the thread! I'm glad to see you're still keeping in touch with us. I could take some of the clivia if you multiples and you see anything on my list you want to swap for.

BTW, my hubbie said that if I want a pond in the backyard, I have to figure out how to run electric back there before he will start digging (so unfair, I hate when he's practical! lol). So, anyone have any advice for me? Is this something that would be easy to do by ourselves, or should i just find an electrician to hire?

Amy

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Chell I missed your post above we posted almost at the same time..LOL Sounds like you and the kids and hubby had fun camping... I feel for you on the hubby being gone all week... My ex was a over the road driver... But it was nice too..Quiet in the house..lol

Thanks Amy for the nice comment... I followed the trees when I ripped the woods out and built my paths...I let the trees do the talking Lol.. It all fell into place...

Regina you wouldnt believe how much they want at a gh here for bougie plants...Ouch I could never afford one... :)

okay

1. sept 07
    2. named after my town I live in...Wild roses grow here..
    3. Actaully took me a while to find it....
    4. lots :)

Have a great evening everyone...Barb

• bigmama4ever
    14 years ago

1- i joined in 01 , i did a lot of heavy trading, lots of for postage, thats why i get a few newbees every year to remember who got me going. my puter got sick and by the time i had it back had to sign up as new again.. 2 my gw came from my famely, when my mother in law was in the hospital, they didnot let anyone do anything do her until the "bigmama" was there to go over it.. 3 i realy dont remember it has been a long time, but i do remember the garden junk, got started on it right away. jejeje 4 at the begining a lot, and now just what i can handle, every winter i have to bring everything in to the green house , as a matter of fact im going to have to add a few feet this summer for the fall, last year i could hardly get in there jeje.. yes regina i know the feeling, when people walk in they are not expecting to see such a garden, and at night is when everyone likes it. (have a lot of x mas lights all over the trees and such). im not an early riser but youll find me in the garden at 1 or 2 at night even later when its really hot.have my speakers and tv ouside. very romantic. only need a man ... sike to healp with the weeds jajajaja

• ladygreensleeves
    14 years ago

I could'nt believe it when I saw it either Amy. I seen it hanging there and thought that looks like a funky looking plant with verigation. So I checked the tag, and it was a very full verigated lipstick plant. Can you believe I hung it back up and walked away from it........I was back in about 20 mins. after talking myself into getting it. I knew if I waited it would be gone the next day......lol.

Ok now about the pond and electric.....I don't have electric....yet, perhaps someday I will. A pond can and will survive without electic. It's a balance of plant's and oxygenators. The oxygenators are the key to being able to have some fish and the right kind of fish in a pond with no electic. Koi will eat and uproot your plants. Also concider this if you have fish, can you over winter them in your pond? You have to concider the freeze line there. Once again it can be done.There is a forum here on ponds and trials and tribulations. I will warn you if you read some of them they are real tearjerkers at times. Koi owners get real attached to their
    scaly babies. Me I just get mosquito fish,and feeder gold fish. Frogs will find you during mating season. Trust me!
    If you want lights get solar energy lights, no electric needed. We did do research and got a book first too on ponds. DH's ex put in a pond, and we inherited it when she defaulted on the house moved out and we moved in. What a mess it was, but with some reading,the right plants/oxygenators we had it looking beautiful in no time.
    So go tell hubby it can be done without electric first.

Baby fish with tadpoles under them

Barb...I have paypal,hint,hint :0) Bougies are tropicals and they have to ship them aways up there to ya'll. There are so many colors of them too. What I dislike is they never put a name to the color around here.

bigmama....Im a late riser and night person myself. Thats when alot of the plants bloom and fill the air with all their scents,and like AZ it's cooler at night here and more pleasant to be outdoors. "only need a man ... sike to healp with the weeds".....lol....I hear that!!!

Blue Pea vine

Orchid Cactus w/seed pod

White mandevilla vine

Some of my hoya's

mandevilla's

• galium
    14 years ago

Here goes:
    1. How long have you been a member of GW?-Spring of 2006.
    2. How did you choose your GW user name?-I wanted a name that reflected my love of gardening. Galium is the genus of the herb Sweet Woodruff.
    3. When did you discover the Round Robin part of GW after joining? I found it during the summer of '06.
    4. How much trading have you done?I started trading seeds on the Seed Exchange just to get my feet wet. Then I traded on the Plant Exchange. The first plant exchange I did was for Lily of the Valley pips. After that I joined one of the RR swaps. So I guess I could say I've done quite a bit of trading.

Amy when I first wanted to spruce up my exchange page I asked a lot of questions in forums on the Internet. The first problem I had was that I had no idea what HTML was. So, I called my brother and he told me. Sad to say I didn't get much help on the GW. Whenever I asked a question members kept telling me to learn HTML. I didn't even know about Photobucket. Don't know why some folks want to keep things a secret and not share information. I've made it a point to help other members out with Photobucket and HTML codes. I try to do it in such a way that they aren't totally confused. I wish someone had done that for me. I did take a computer course in college but all we learned was MS Dos. No help there.LOL Everything I know about computers I taught myself.

How many here have a greenhouse??? I'd love to have one then again I have a problem with so much shade.

Wonderful pictures!

Have a great day everyone
    Mariann

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Wow look at those lists, getting harder and harder to say no to this swap!!!

Regina!!!! VINES!!!! lol I love vines! That blue pea is spectactular! I have one started but the cool overcast weather is really slowing things down this year! Only the honeysuckle and clematis are really thriving right now. The annuals are just poking along ho hum

Barb, speaking of vines.... your white feathered MG was the first one to bloom this year and is frequented by Hummingbirds! I was buzzed by a hungry hummer on my porch this morning, ha ha ha Love your garden photos! looks so lush, I could stay in the forest all day. (frequently do on vacation) I am a bot of a nature nut...... will have to post some photos.

Chellflower, wow sounds like a lot of fun! I wish I still had the energy for camping with children! sounds like you had a great time!

Amy, I am an artist. I used to sell prints and photos from my website. Now it is nothing but a portal.

http://www.therendering.com (don't click any links on the page only one works)

the questions:

1. August 2007, I came to GW seeking advice for coping with drought, met some nice folks in the Carolina Gardening area.

2. nothing cool or creative here, fcoffill is my name!

3. I discovered the RR in the fall of 2007, participated in a few swaps with the MNF group. and a few Seed Swaps, had a lot of fun, met a lot of nice people. Since then I have traded with most of the organized groups. I tend to avoid the swaps that are not about the "plants/seeds/etc" I am just not good at the 'gifts/froufrou' stuff.

4, I started swapping almost as soon as I joined! My first swap went bad, made me cautious for awhile, but during the summer and fall I kept trying Swapped bulbs/rhyzomes/seeds/plants. I would say half of my garden came from exchanges at GW!

I am going to add another 'tip' for PhotoBucket users.

If you only use PhotoBucket for sharing photos on websites like GW and not for buying prints. You can resize your photos as you upload them. See the image below. Once you choose a size from the list it will use that size for all of your photos until you change it! (it only changes the width, it won't squash your photos)

Have a great day everyone!

Here is a link that might be useful: a few of my prints/photos

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Hi Everybody

Regina you wouldnt want these bougies..They have your color in 10 inch pots blooming 80 bucks ! ...:( This gh is wayyyy overpriced but they are the only one in the sticks with unusual plants for the area... I will keep my eye out in the big cities when I am there... I know they are cheaper..:)

I love your plants and pics so much I cant wait for my babies to grow up like yours...Hey by the way the pink bougie the roots are growing out of the 4 inch pot I think I will bump it up...They like it in the gh nice and hot... 55 as a high here yesterday...This sucks I am so overwinter brrr

Big mama I love lights too..:) My two ponds have lights in them and I have a cheap curved trellis in the middle of them I put christmas lights on the trellis..Very pretty at night..It lights up the trees too and flickers on them...

A man to weed lol Al has never pulled a weed in his life...hahahh He would be pulling the plants up..:)

Amy we rented a trencher from the rental place for the water, electric and gas...I reccomend it...I spent a whole summer filling trenches back in...I had muscles that summer..Lol You can run the wire yourself... I would reccomend hiring a pro for the hook up though if you dont know how... I cant help al did the hookup and something was wrong in the beggining hahahha until we figured he crossed the wires...Scary lol it got done though... If you do it...Run it everywhere you wont be dissapointed in the end...Hit all corners of the yard... It is wonderful with electric especially at christmas time.....

Mariann that is wonderful how you taught yourself...We are the geek group..hahah lol Nothing like learning something new..Keeps our brains young and we can keep up with the whippersnappers... Nj girl did you happen to see the real housewives of New Jersery...hahah lol I watched it because my daughter likes it...

Frances I hope those 200 plants are keeping you busy..I still have all my ws babies in cups...They are getting big...More work.. I am gonna take that tulip bulb planter you stick on a drill and make my holes that way...Plunck and run..:)

Chell how is the gh and kids doing?

• bluespiritartist
    14 years ago

I am working on more tropical (fruiting)plants and don't have enough to join right now. What is the min. of plants? Would like to trade for other eatable plants/trees if possible. I do have several different types of ferns I will try to grow from spores and several cuttings of bay leaf trees, to add to what I have...which is only a few things. Dwarf Orinoco banana, red dragon fruit, Melaluca alternafolia tea tree and will start again on more Goji plants. Will there be a Tropical Robin trade towards the end of summer? That hopefully will give me enough time. Also, I know this isnt tropical but would tossing in a couple different kinds of alpine strawberry plants count?

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Barb
    I don't have the drill bulb planter, but I do have the long handled bulb planter, just like a shovel and that is what I use for planting a lot of plants at once! works great for anything up to about 4" pots size, easy to visualize a whole planting area, just punch all the holes, eyeball the spacing and drop in the plants/bulbs! I planted about 70 plants yesterday in 2 batches between thunderstorms.

I planted som cool new plants, giant pineapple lily, peruvian daffodil, I can't wait!

here is what's new in my garden

almost shoveled pruned this beauty this spring! natural blue, no additives or digital colour corrections

my not very 'purple' coneflower :(

I say pooey on you if you don't love ditch lilies~

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

frances we posted at the same time above..Lol Hey do me a huge favor and save me some seeds from the white feathered morning glory...I had it growing in the gh for seeds..I had to rip it out too many problems with bugs..I dont have any seeds left...That is a great morning glory too..It will give you lots of blooms and seeds...

I love ditch lillies too..Your coneflowers is a nice pink... I am so excited I just came back and my cherimoya has growth stubbies it was just sitting there. I didnt think it would make it..:)Frances a artist that is so neat...My dad is a artist too..

Well gotta run waiting for al to get back..We are going to pick up free shelves at his work... Maybe I will get my ws babies planted someday...:)

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Hey everybody we just got back..I need your help..These are all labeled ferns but with no names..Can you pros tell me what they are? Thanks bunches Barb

{{gwi:223140}}
    {{gwi:223141}}
    {{gwi:223142}}
    {{gwi:223143}}
    {{gwi:223144}}

• divahethr
    14 years ago

I came by to look at your pictures!!! Awesome!

• chellflower
    14 years ago

Hi y'all,

Since we're no longer posting on the Tropical Surplus Thread, I'm posting pics here of my Surplus from BigMama....(if I'm doing this right, LOL)...

{{gwi:1272616}}

Here's a pic of them all potted up...
    {{gwi:1272617}}

Here's my 'Naked GH' (surrounded by all of my WS pots, LOL)...
    {{gwi:1272618}}

...and my Bamboo Trellis (in the foreground)...
    {{gwi:1272619}}

Frances, all of my plants are in pots until I get the ground worked, but here's a peek at some of them...
    {{gwi:1272620}}

..and my Hydroponics area (DH idea when we remodeled the bathroom)...
    {{gwi:1272621}}

Spent all day transplanting and cleaning up the indoor GH and Hydro, but I got alot of stuff organized and alot of plants, including my larger Plumeria and Hoyas in the outdoor GH. Whew!

Amy, so are houseplants the only perennials we're sending in this swap?!? I've taken inventory of my extras and am hoping to get my lists posted by the weekend.

Barb, not a clue on you ferns' ID, but they sure are purty!

Regina, here's you a pic..two of my variegated plummies (these babies are grafted, and they're staying indoors until the GH has walls and door! LOL)..

• ladygreensleeves
    14 years ago

oooh Barb you missed what I was getting at. Since I live in Bouganvillia land I might be able to hook up up with more of those bougies. The two I sent you run just under 5 bucks a pot/plant in the big box stores here. Thats alot of plants for the same 80 bucks there. So before you go out and buy any there consider dropping me a email and lets see if we can work something out first. I live in the heart of nursery land and HD and Lowes are just 5 mins from me as well.

Amy if you do win the argument for the pond, running the wiring yourself is easily done like Barb said. Just get someone else to hook it up, thats what we are going to do too. I do have my pump already for the waterfall, and have solar lights to go around it. It's just really difficult for me to get my DH motivated to do anything for me. Usually I find someone to do it and then he will say he will do it for me. I think there is some psychology in that somewhere.....lol.

Fran what kind of artist are you, what is your favorite medium? My dads side of the family was very artistic,one aunt did oils, one did pastels, uncle did iron work, my dad does tin work, gramma did paintings in oils,pastels,charcoal and all kinds of crafts and sewing. Seemed like someone was always creating something. Is your family like that too? Do you use your gardens for your subject matter? Oh and I love ditch lilies too....and are you sure you didnt touch up that hydrangea with a bit of airbrushing?.....lol That's just gorgeous!

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Chell whoo hoo look at those pics... Wow you were spoiled rotten too..:) I love your new gh and the trellis too neat...You are way too organized lol.. Your variegated plumies are the bomb too... Just wonderful

Regina did I tell ya I was slow..LOL Hey have you even seen a microscopic fern cell..Lol If I look at one more fern picture I am going to burst...I cant ID them for anything... been doing since after dinner..Lol I will keep ya in mind on them bougies..I potted yours up today as a matter of fact...Wonderful roots everywhere....

Why dont stores name their plants..Gosh it really iritates me..Lol and It was a plant store at that..Steins garden and gifts...Oh pooyey.. :)

Okay back to research lol Nice pics Chell :)

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Well I can't believe it, I was sure I had responded in this thread! I am so dirty right now, only a cool beer is keeping me from running into the shower!!! The sun is shining, and I am planting like a mad woman!!! I have a ton of oriental and asiatic lily to get planted and I won't even get to see them bloom!!! GRRRRRRR

I am thinking I would like to participate in this swap (mainly because I have some stuff I would really like to send to someone who would appreciate it rather than 'plunk it into the ground fast and worry about it later) But I don't want to join in with conditions, etc)

Regina, I used to be a 'painter' water colour, oil, ink. mostly landscapes and 'romantic' portraits. These days the mediums are mostly digital. No time/light/space for a proper studio. I have learned to 'paint' on my computer. Much tidier. ha ha ha, see the link below for some of my work.
    These days most of my 'work for pay' (as pathetic as it is) is photography and 3d Content! I am a fashion designer for digital people! ha ha ha

I take a lot of photos, sell some, use many as reference for paintings of landscapes. spend as much time as possible outdoors, in the forest/mountains/coast as I can.

Chell!!! Faboo on the greenhouse!!!! i really gotta do that! look at all those plants! yum yum!

Barb sorry I don't know a thing about ferns except that I like them and its too hot and dry (snicker) here for them!
    oh and I will save you some MG seeds, of course everything is OP around here so there may be some surprises!

gotta run, there is a fly in my kitchen that needs 'killin' and plants still need to be planted.......

Have a great day and a wonderful weekend if I don't make it back here for a few days!

frances

Here is a link that might be useful: Some digital paintings by frances

• chellflower
    14 years ago

Couldn't post yesterday...problems with the forum.

Here's my list (finally!)....

Houseplants/Tropicals:
    Snake Plant-rooted division
    Variegated Spider Plant-rooted
    Green Butterfly (Nepthytis)-rooted
    Purple Jew-cuttings
    Kalancho Blossfeldiana-cuttings
    Pepperomia-leaf cuttings
    Mass Cane/Corn Plant-division
    Canna-Purple Leaf -pup
    Philo Erubescens ('Blushing')-cutting
    Norfolk Island Pine (appx. 10" sapling)
    Phalaenopsis/Moth Orchid
    Mandarin Plant- Babies

Annuals:
    Black Eyed Susan Vine
    Texas Bluebonnets
    Coleus (Rainbow Mix, Sedona)
    Celosia 'Flamingo Feather'
    Hollyhock mix (biennial)
    Angelica Gigus (biennial)
    Love in a Mist 'Ms. Hyde'
    Convolulous Morning Glory
    Queen Anne's Lace
    Tobacco 'Virginia Gold'
    Nasturtiums (Alaska, Caribbean Cocktail, Dwf. Cherry Rose, Empress of India, Jewel mix, Lipstick, Papaya Cream, Vesuvius)

Perennials: (these are young plants/saplings)
    Anise Hyssop -blue
    Lupine 'Russell mix'
    Lupine 'Tutti Frutti'
    Butterfly Bush 'Black Knight'
    Castor Bean 'Red Camencita'
    Columbines (Black Barlow, red/white/purple, burgundy, Blue Star, Harlequin, Pink/purple)
    Desert Willow- purple
    Honey Ball Bush
    Joe Pye Weed
    Hosta babies (Frances Williams, Bold Ribbons, Witches Brew, Niagara Falls)
    Money Plant 'Purple Honesty'
    Butterfly weed (white, Orange Glory)
    Milkweed (Orange, yellow, scarlet, red/yellow)
    Spirea shrub 'Blue Mist'
    Bleeding Heart-Pink
    Blackberry Lily
    Hardy Hibiscus (white/pink, mauve/pink)

Wants (I know most of these are unlikely, but I'll be thrilled to get just a few from this list):
    Alocasia/Colocasia (any giant/upright/unusual)
    Begonias- esp. named
    Brugs
    Calla Lilly (esp.Black Forest,Edge of Night,
    Millenium Gold, White Giant)
    Canna (Nirvana,Striped Beauty/Minerva,Thai One On,Tropicanna Black,Valentine)
    Clematis
    Fruit (fig, loganberry, meyor lemon, etc)
    Gaillardia 'burgundy' (for son)
    Geraniums-esp. named
    Gingers/heliconia (have var. shell)
    Hoyas
    Hummingbird vine/Scarlet Wisteria (Sesbania grandiflora)
    Irises
    Jade Vine ((Mucuna...any color)
    Plumeria
    Philodendrons (that I don't have)
    Pond Plants (Dwf. cattails, water lillies)
    Swiss Cheese/Monstera
    Ti/Good Luck Plant (green or red)

Questionaire.....
    1. Joined GW May 2006
    2. GW name-- my first name is Chell and I like flowers, so I put the two together and voila! Later I remembered that there is aso a plant by that name (Mexican Shellflower)!
    3. I traded seeds at first, then plants. My first GW Robin was in Feb. 08..and my partner disappeared after I sent her plants! But another member of the robin (Redheaded Stepchild/Frances) took me under her wing as a partner and we swapped with each other. If it hadn't been for her I probably would have never joined another Swap, but there are so many more good folks than 'bad apples' on GW and I've been joining swaps since!
    4. Over 30 GW trades/swaps...so far, LOL!

Barb, yes I was spoiled! BigMama sent me over 75 cuttings, it took about 4 hours to plant them all (and was oohing & ahhing the whole time! Thanks again B'Mama!) My 8 year old was too (he loves succulents!) so he and my 4 yr old ended up with alot of the leaves that fell off for rooting as well! I really like my Gh (DH even helped build it... with the bathroom remodel he was OTR after the'deconstruction' phase so I had to finish that one alone) After seeing your GH I want one like that! (drool!)..how Big is yours?!? It looks soo big & spacious! Mine's not even finished yet and needs expanding already, LOL. Girl, I HAVE to be organized...we live in a MH park...our front yard is only 20' wide by about 120' long! and the backyard (which is bassackwards and faces the street) is only about 15' wide, but the corner lot next to us is too small to rent for a trailer so the kids play there alot. I had gotten permission to plant stuff on the other lot, but the park's under new management so I'm waiting for an okay from them. But if DH's new job is as good as it sounds we may be able to buy a 'real' house with a yard by next year!!! They're s'pose to be done fixing the truck over the weekend so he's planning/hoping to leave Monday to pick it up in Arkansas and hit the road. I just hope they can 'show me the money' soon, LOL....we ain't seen a paycheck in three weeks and I'm really beginning to miss those things, LOL!
    Y'all have a great day!

• chellflower
    14 years ago

Frances, love your work!!! You're soo talented!
    Sunlit falls is beautiful, and Light at Lookout reminds me of the LH at Bolivar Peninsula (which is probably the only thing left after Ike hit the island!). I'll bet my boys would keep their room clean with My Other Side hanging on their wall, LOL!

I love to paint, but all I get to do is the 're-decorating' type.... The boy's entire room is a mural (they wanted the outdoors 'inside'). When I redid the guest bthrm, Josh was 3yrs old and had just seen 'Nemo' so it has a 'beyond the sea' theme, LOL.... Never watch DIY/HGTV shows with your kids---they develop their own ideas!! I have some photos somewhere....
    I enjoy stained glass too, but don't have space for it since my craftroom became the boys' bdrm.

I wish I had the talent, patience (and peace & quiet!) to paint artwork, that is so cool!

• dieg01991
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi everyone!
    Since there were issues with the forum yesterday, I haven't had a chance to get caught up yet today. I will get caught up on the forums and post again soon. I participated in a plant sale today and made $60. Not too bad, that will help support my addiction! :-) I haven't eaten all day and I'm starving now so I'm going to go eat and I'll be back later to catch up!

Hope everyone's having a great weekend.
    Amy

• ladygreensleeves
    14 years ago

What was up with the forum yesterday! I was like jerking not being able to log on and get my daily GW dose! Don't they know what that does to us plantaholics!!!! I was seriously going thru withdrawl.......twitch,twitch

Fran, you are one talented artist, I enjoyed looking at your work and can relate to "My Other Side" Halloween is my favorite too and kicks off the holiday season for me.

Barb, I found a white bougie today, sure is purty....I've seen and studied the propagation of fern spores, but they are to small and time consuming for me to want to try. It happens naturally all the time tho out in the yard with the one I have out there.....lol. Plus they spread by the roots too. Always pulling them up and passing them on to whoever wants them. They grow like weeds out there.

Chell your veg plummie are kewl, and the GH is going to be great once you get it done.Your going love it!

DH and I put two rain barrels together today and got them set up and in place just before this afternoons rain shower. Collected a 1/4 of a 55 gallon barrel in 15-20 mins. This is only off a very small section of downspout. I can only imagine how much can be collected from a longer one.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.........

Regina

• dtm1966
    14 years ago

Its Dawn Finally

1. How long have you been a member of GW?-September of 2005.
    2. How did you choose your GW user name?- Nothing fancy, initials and birth year
    3. When did you discover the Round Robin part of GW after joining? Didnt really find it until last year. Spent most of my time in the Hoya forum
    4. How much trading have you done? This is my second one. My first one did not go well. My trading partner did not send me anything so I have been a little leery. But I am sure this one will go much better

My haves

Hoyas multiple kinds
    Lipstick plant (2 kinds)
    Goldfish plant
    Dischidia
    Ivys (green and variegated)
    Canna lilly
    Pentas (hot pink)
    Crinums (light pink)
    Epiphyllums (day and night blooming kinds)
    Pereskia grandiflora
    Ceropegia
    Jewel of opar
    Variegated ginger

Wants

Not picky
    Not really into annuals and trees (Texas burns up annuals and my yard is too small for trees)
    Like perennials and vines
    Love anything unusual
    Like African violets and orchids as well

Off to dinner

• dieg01991
    Original Author
    14 years ago

In for sure...
    Barb (rosepedal) - Haves list posted
    Norma (bigmama4ever) - Lists posted
    Regina (ladygreensleeves) - Lists posted
    Chell (chellflower) - Lists posted
    Dawn (dtm1966) - Lists posted
    Mariann (galium) - Lists posted
    Dee (gardendee) - Lists posted

Getting ready to cave/May be...
    Frances (fcoffill)
    Melissa (hazelnutbunny) - Lists posted

Thanks everyone for participating so far in the "get to know each other" activity. It's so much fun to read everyone's answers!!

Regina, that variegated lipstick is a beaut! (P.S. I have variegated lipstick on my wish list...lol!) I think I have my husband sold on the idea that we don't need electric for the pond right away. BUT, we will need to get electricity back there somehow for the winter if I want to overwinter my fish and plants in there. Here in MN, I think that the pond would have to be 6 feet deep or more in order for it not to freeze to the bottom! I'm not sure what the exact depth is, but it would have to be very large and deep. Thanks for all the info!! Your pictures make me so jealous!! Beautiful!!

Mariann, I think that people probably hesitate to give technical advice because they may not know enough to explain it well. I've been in the business for 11 years and have worked with varying degrees of users, some with hardly any computer knowledge. I've also spent a lot of time writing lots of time writing detailed user documentation. I guess it all comes with experience. If you ever have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask! :-) I don't have a greenhouse, oh how I wish I did though!!

Frances, great website and awesome art too!!! Art is one of my many hobbies too, but I don't have time for it now that I'm in school. Now I only do paintings when I decorate one of my rooms. I wish I could win the lottery and retire so that I would have time to indulge in all of my hobbies!! :-) Thanks for adding the extra tip, that's a great one!!! BTW, everyone is encouraged to include a tip if they think of one!! I will be posting another tip early next week. Oh, I almost forgot...after reading you talking about the bulb planter, I ran out and bought myself one last night!! LOL. I used it today to get my new tropical garden planted and it's AWESOME!!! Thanks!!

Barb, renting a trencher is a great idea and hitting all corners of the yard is a great idea too!! Thanks for the advice. The only problem is that we have an underground sprinkler, so we may have to dig it by hand after all. We don't know exactly where the water lines run. If we cut a line, it's pretty easy to fix them. Just more work!

bluespiritartist, why don't you go ahead and post your full list and we'll see what you've got. If nothing else, perhaps someone would want to do a side swap with you! :-) And yes, we will definitely be having another tropical swap before the fall...hopefully more than just one!!

Hi Heather (divahethr), good to see you!! Hope you're doing well.

Chell, looks like you got a great box from bigmama!! And your greenhouse looks great, it's really coming along! Your rooms full of plants look like mine! I have that exact same mini-greenhouse in our spare bedroom. BTW, what ever happened to Redheaded Stepchild? She was great!

So, after I ate dinner tonight, I got up the energy to get my tropical garden planted!! it's mostly bulbs so not much to see now. I can't wait for it to start to produce, it will be beautiful!!! I took some new pictures of my other gardens last night. I will get some pictures posted soon. No time tonight, I'm pooped and ready for bed! I don't know what was up with the forum yesterday, it must have been something major though since it took them so long to get it back up! LOL, I was thinking that lots of people were probably suffering from withdrawals like I was too!!

Dawn, I don't think that you will be disappointed with this swap!! This group has been trading for a few months now and everyone has been very generous so far!!! I am so glad that you decided to take a chance with us!!!

Good night!
    Amy

• galium
    14 years ago

Frances-I really like your art work. I sometimes go to DeviantArt to download Brushes and Gradients. I use to belong to quite a few Tag Groups. I puttered around with my own tags too. Then I was invited to join a PSP learning group. It's amazing! I love it. Can't wait to start on animations. The group I belong to is called LeCafé DAmis and is owned by SuzyDesinz.

Amy-I'm really having a hard time loading this thread. I have dial-up. There are a lot of pictures here. Love them all. I see some great lists! I do have annual and perennial cuttings to send also. The list I posted of my wants is quite small compared to some of the others. I've actually been trying to get rid of some of my tropicals/houseplants. Don't have a lot of light inside so I use grow lights.

I do a lot of containers with annuals. Love Begonia's and Coleus again mostly part shade around my property. It's been interesting trying to find perennials that do well under these conditions. I actually have no full sun! Some perennials that grow in full sun do OK in some of my beds although they do get much taller. I've really gotten into shade plants. Have lots of Heucheras and am building up a Hosta collection. Working with colors and textures have helped.
    Have a great day everyone
    Mariann

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Goodmorning everybody...:)

Frances love love your work.... A couple scare the crap out of me though..LOL Amazing work..

Mariann I can relate to no sun until we got oak wilt now I have some sun in the woods.. Shade is hard to garden when you love the cottage look..:)

Regina a white one...Oh man you lucky duck... I seen they even have orange...Yummy

Chell you stay strong and tough with them boys..And dont tell them you wait until daddy gets home..A week is a long time to wait to get into trouble with daddy..Lol I use to do that all the time with the kids...:)

Mariann I can relate to dial up..It sucks..We just finally got high speed in the area....

Well I am pooped we re-did all our paths in new mulch to help keep the weeds down... I am getting ready to go build a raised bed for all my mints a master gardener here shared with me... I dont want them in the gardens..Invasive little plants...Lol

Have a great Sunday everyone...Barb

• chellflower
    14 years ago

Barb, I know what you mean about the kids...my first thought when Tim got the OTR job was 'you're leaving me alone with the pet monsters?' LOL!

Mama used to keep count on a chalkboard and show it to my Dad afterwork when I was little...he'd be tired after pulling a nightshift and beat the crap out of us so I've never used that tactic with my boys, although I do often let them slide longer than I should.

I know it'll be rough on them at first missing DH so last week I gave them fair warning and have toughened up on them a bit in advance..... yesterday was housecleaning day (I/we've let it go for almost a month!) once I grabbed the belt and reminded them again they found their motivation...DH even vacuumed! (he's usually pretty good about dishes & cooking help, but I seldom see him vaccum!). They're pretty good boys, they're just rambunctious and have inherited the selective hearing from DH (and bullheaded like me, ugh!) but they know when to quit pushing my buttons. It's amazing how when I speak with a belt in my hand they quickly climb down off the walls and actually hear what I say! LOL

Last time DH went OTR Josh was just becoming Daddy's boy instead of Mama's baby, and I was pregnant with Logan (not to mention a herniated disc in my back!)....WAY too many changes for a 3 yr old!!! He DID get testy (did I mention he was 3, LOL) Even broke his leg jumping off a neighbor's porch rail (6' high!..during his 'spiderman' phase), but he was an awesome big brother/Mama's helper once Logan was born. I do miss those days though since he's morphed into an 8 yr old. But at least this time around summer's almost here so we'll get to play outside to keep our minds off missing Daddy...thank G'ness for cell phones! It can be a fun learning experience for them too... before I kept a US map on the wall and everytime DH called, Josh put a sticker on the state DH was at..he enjoyed it!...I need to get another map!
    ..Enough rambling/reminiscing...

Regina, that must have been some rain y'all got! I plan to make a rainbarrel (or two) once the GH is done...BIL is gonna give me a gutter for the front of the GH... I never realized they catch that much water!!!

Dawn, I had the same problem with my first swap, but don't let that spoil your chance at a new garden addiction. There are so many good folks in our GW family and those bad apples seldom stay around long anyhow.

Amy good job on your plant sale! I had planned to sell my extra WS to pay for more dirt, LOL but didn't have time...hopefully with the new GH maybe next spring I'll have good sized plants to sell...and more time (yea, right! LOL).

DH just got a call....the truck won't be ready till Wednesday...and my money plant hasn't bloomed yet @#$%@&! LOL. Oh well, at least he can help me with the yard till then!

Y'all have a great weekend!
    Chell

• divahethr
    14 years ago

can I join? I was working out in the yard all day and I think I may have enough stuff lol. I wanted to join but was afraid I wouldn't have enough tropical stuff I'm not very good at houseplants. Lord knows I have tried maybe house plants I'm supposed to keep them in a HOUSE.
    here goes my list

city of portland canna
    dwarf pink canna grown from seed
    velvet wizard cutting rooting
    sedona coleus rooting
    no id pastel green coleus from seeds (the grandpa I believe was king coleus I found a volunteer last year and collected the seeds I have pictures of that plant it had an smell not bad not good hope the babies don't lol)
    mexican fan palms
    red ridinghood mandavilla
    no id mandavilla
    red banana no id pup rooting
    wyoming canna
    red king humbert canna
    aaron calladium bulbs
    white calla lily bulbs
    hymenocallis advance bulb
    white bird of paradise
    hesperaloe parviflora red false yucca division
    meyer lemon seedlings
    bromeliad pups
    variegated bromeliad pup
    arabian vitex purpurea cuttings
    opuntia cactus
    pencil cactus cutting
    aralia balfour
    pink kallanchoe
    night blooming cereus
    thanksgiving cactus
    taro
    yucca
    ice plant rooted cuttings
    wants
    not picky anything I don't already have is cool
    sago palm pup (I bought if off the discount rack at home depot. after 4 years of hanging on for dear life mine has succumbed)
    new zealand flax grass (didn't come back this year)

since 2004 i caught a bamboo and palm bug
    i use this name for everything cause it matches my email. I used to have a music newsletter massmail list from over 10 years ago. I still have the same email
    I discovered it soon after I joined GW but I clicked on a link and they were real persnikity with one person who was trying to trade but I guess she wasn't a member of this group I can't remember all the details but I thought it was rude so it scared me off from trading. Then last fall i saw a link that said newbies welcome even though I had been on GW for years I definitely was a new BEE.
    I think I have done a bit of trading seeds and plants. I've been ripped off once. Most of the time I'm just glad that the trade came even though it had slim pickings lol. I've had 2 members mad at me because my trade took 3 extra days because my envelope was returned by the PO 3 stamps wasn't enough and I sent extras too!! What goes around comes around. Round robbins are safer...safety in numbers.

• dieg01991
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mariann, I will start a new post. Sorry for the slowness for you. I was going to start a new one soon anyway.

Heather, yes of course you can join!! Yippie, so glad to have you!!! You're so funny, you have a ton of great stuff for this swap on your list!! YUMMY.

Ok, off to start a new post (it'll be a few minutes though)...