Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diene_gw

UPDATE: Make New Friends Robin part 3

diene
16 years ago

Hello Everyone;

I think this robin is close to the end but it has been a complete blast. I have put together a very basic spreadsheet for Vela (I am not a computer wiz). Maybe she is or even has some skills, then she can upgrade what I have done. I merely listed everyone, the state they live in. Then I put the number of their partner in the next column based on the list I had created.

I spent today building a garden around my shed that was built last year. It started out as merely planting two lilac bushes that I bought at the discount store and it expanded into building a slate walkway, putting in a rubber border and clearing four feet around the entire front. Now I need to plant more stuff. What a shame!! The weather was gorgeous, sixty five degrees and sunny with a nice ocean breeze. It does not get much better. Hope everyone else is having a great day. diene

Comments (103)

• medontdo
    16 years ago

i have these ants that i think live in my faucet fixture somewhere all year long, they are really tiny!! i can't get rid of them. any idea's? diene, you are great, we freake cuz it's our jobs!! LOL ;') he he (i don't wanta say this out loud, but, talla is in a good mood today!! yay) :')

• moonphase
    16 years ago

Diene,Just wanted to pop in and say "THANK YOU" for being such a great host.I had a super time and enjoyed getting to know everyone here.Hope to continue to see you around the forum.
    moonphase

• User
    16 years ago

Yep this was a good experience, I'm happy with what I got :)

• boballi
    16 years ago

SANDY & ALANA: Thanks for the great pictures!

LAURIE: Sorry to hear about the fire. Glad your ok!!

TENA: Congratulations!!!

MEDONTDO & LIZ: Thanks for the receipes!!!!

*UPDATE*
    Roxy was released from the hospital Monday night, and to look at her you would never guess she was ever sick.

Ruby finally came home tonight. She's still recovering...on three medications...and can only eat prescription food. BUT, IT'S GREAT TO HAVE HER BACK HOME!

(A Much Relieved) Boballi

PS
    The active ingredient in Snail & Slug bait is Methaldehyde.

• medontdo
    16 years ago

let's see, i'm so happy that your baby is back home!! and ok. that always makes me think about the things that are extra in our products that we get. umm, fillers. that's it. LOL which my kids are allergic to most of them in the laundry soap. crazy.

• irene_kamel
    16 years ago

UNA!!! You sent the most wonderful box and your letter was so kind. I can't believe you took the time out to ask about my son and consider his likes and dislikes, and my garden sun/shade, before sending. I was really amazed. The candles you made are in candleholders set out for all the see, the soap you made smells soooooooooo good I don't even want my son to play with it for now (really, I can't afford nice soaps so this was a special treat -- it's in a place where I can go to smell the sweet scent anytime I want, which is often -- and I'm not ready to use it as a wooly washer b/c I don't want to use it up, but I will let you know when I do), seeds and bulbs have not been planted yet but they will!! I'm especially excited about the bulbs as those are nice flowers. And thank you for the pretty plant identifiers and the baby book and hand shovel (being put to good use by my son in the garden). I hope I did not forget anything. I do not know when I received these as time here in my home seems to race itself every day. But it has been some time, I think, and I am sorry for not posting earlier. When I was going down this forum trying to figure out what to do, I saw your post about thinking I did not like your gift and it broke my heart. I'm very sorry for taking too much time to acknowledge your generosity.

I have been the worst round-robinner (?) of all history and I realized that this is the first and last round-robin I can join until I get my arse in gear. Thank you to Laurie and Una for this experience, and Diene too, may all of your peaceful gardens and friendships continue to blossom. I hope to keep in touch with you.

• irene_kamel
    16 years ago

Now that I have gone back to scan through the forum, I wanted to make sure Laurieann got your box? I can't remember when I sent it but I think I sent you an email that day. Not sure, though.

Diene, you asked what I have been doing to be busy... well, I started teaching Sunday School again (about a 10hr per week committment) and started and quit a full-time job as a medical asst since this robin started. I'm potty training my 2 1/2 yr old who really, really enjoys just sitting and pretending to push (then giggling ...) and I volunteer to take some ladies to their doctors to translate for them (more than 10 appts so far this month, and these take HOURS -- medicaid/medicare patients, so their doctors are usually overwhelmed, late for appts, plus all that driving...) then just cleaning and cooking and all the usual housewife stuff. I also do paperwork/phone calls for four households, everything from calling the cable guy to filling out tax returns.

I realize it doesn't sound like a lot but since I'm an INFP, I just inherently do things non-linearly and the way I organize things does not make much sense to anyone else but me -- and so the way I use time is kind of strange to people, too. I mop and vacuum usually after midnight, grocery shopping around 9pm, study for MCATs in the middle of the night. It's all crazy and I wouldn't trade it for the world, but it also drives everyone crazy. Have to go now, but please Laurie let me know in an email if you didn't get the box so I can try to track it.

• busylizzy
    16 years ago

medontdo:
    That ant mixture you can also put into jar lids near your faucet for the, i'll be kind here and call them sugar ants, although we call them pi** ants in our area.
    I have read you can wash down your counters with white vinegar to repel them, but I prefer getting the nest killed more that repel them to another area.
    I use boiling water for them outside, but then another army of them seem to appear so I think I might try the solution outside as well. I'll let you know the results.
    boballi:
    Glad your pets are all better!

• medontdo
    16 years ago

ok, i'll have to try that!! my mom'd smack me for i call em, but i know what ya mean, LOL ;') they are just annoying, and so tiny, never saw anything so tiny, the ones outside are huge compared to these guys, once i found them in our keyboard, it was acting up so i took it apart, and omgosh!!! it was crazy, they like being in electrical stuff, which is why these particular bunch, i just don't know about, LOL today we get new bathtubs!!! for my garden, LOL to make raised beds. i'm too tired of them grass, it has roots like you would not believe!!! and i decided that i want to trade in plants not seeds. my passion vines sure are strong!! thank you wendy!!! i will definately try your mixture busylizzy!!!

• diene
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good Afternoon All;
    First Irene, what is INFP? I cannot tell if that is a disease, ancestry or personality disorder but I want to make sure I do not have it also. Please enlighten me.
    All these homemade recipes for getting rid of bugs, we just freeze them up here. It is fifty degrees and raining here, not my favorite kind of weather. I am hoping that it helps my plants, I did finally get most of the stuff I bought planted. I have a bunch of caladium to put in the ground but did not get to that. I also need to think about another apple tree if I want to get fruit from the one I planted last year. Hope everyone is having a great day. diene

• diene
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I knew I had a reason for posting a minute ago but see I must have caught that INFP from Irene!! The favorite recipe for ants in this part of the world is 1 part sugar to three parts borax laundry soap. Make a paste by adding water and put it in beer caps to dry. My understanding is that they will take the mixture back to the nest and kill a whole colony that way. It also will not harm anything else. diene

• Maeflower
    16 years ago

Is Super yeast just regular yeast or fast rising yeast? I have to get rid of the ants we have!!

• medontdo
    16 years ago

that's what i was wondering, i have lots of rapid rising yeast, but i use lots of borax, making my own laundry soap, LOL never thought about it for ants, don't know why not though, i hear your supposed to for roaches. had that problem once too, then i brought a grand daddy long leggs home, their so fun to play with. and they love to eat roaches. so creepy!! lesson i learned, don't leave your bring your grill in even if you live in a bad neighborhood. (after its put out) and turn out the lights. if you turn on the lights, i will leave that to your imagination!!! LOL

• momtoboysjnj
    16 years ago

I'm so glad your vines are doing well :) I replanted a couple of mine in a pot - thought I killed it b/c the leaves got all crunchy .... fast forward a week later.. I have new leaves coming out and you couldn't blast that vine outta that pot!!!

Seeds, I'm not so good at either. I was able to get more seeds to grow and stay alive this year than any time before. I do think I read somewhere that it can take up to three years for a passionflower seed to germinate - I don't have that kind of patience!!!

• laurieanngarris
    16 years ago

Hey guys,

Yes, I survived the fire. Thanks for all the well wishes and tips. I now know what to do next time...but hopefully there won't be a next time.

This week has felt like a Monday all week, and I have not felt like posting anything. It has been really stressful. BUT, I walked out to my porch today and my lily of the nile has a bloom on it again. I haven't seen a bloom on it for a year! So that made me happy.

For some reason coming home to my plants and being able to water them just takes stress off of me. I love them all!

And my Bengal cat is getting his first plant. I am getting a Bengal Tiger Canna Lily. I thought that was kind of cool. LOL!

TO THOSE WITH ANT ISSUES....ants HATE cinnamon. I got rid of my ant problem at two different locations with it. I just sprinkled it...a few days later...no ants. Who would think? I know it can be messy...but it works like a charm.

Laurie

• medontdo
    16 years ago

laurie, i'm gonna have to try that one too, i have that one on hand, alot of it too, LOL my mom shops a sam's club and buys those huge spices- well she's always WELL stocked, she always say's "medo go get my spices befor you go buy some, you know i don't get to use them all" so i'm way lucky! she does that withe her meats and other groceries, i tell her she's just lettin me rotate her food for her, LOL and we just laugh, it kinda boils down to she helps us with groceries, dad likes to spend money and she needs to feel neede. as if!! gee what would i do with out her??? LOL you really have a bengal tiger?? hope everyone's having a great day!! wendy i truely understand!! i want to go to the store and buy a bunch of vege plants a replant my garden! in the tubbs, when we get them, hopeflly today! dang i need a truck!! LOL :') i"m gonna win the lottery!! LOL

• medontdo
    16 years ago

how far away from my vege garden do i have to keep my datura's and poisonous plants? i don't want them to cross pollinate. and i wanta make sure they are far enough away. any help would be greatly appreciated!!

• moonphase
    16 years ago

someone sent me a incense burner that looks like a sunflower and incense and did not put a name on it.Was it from someone here?Maybe Diene?Whoever it was,Thank You.It was a very nice surprise
    moonphase

• moonphase
    16 years ago

Found my giver,it was Deni on the petal pushers...lol I wasn't expecting anything but it was so sweet of her.
    moonphase

• momtoboysjnj
    16 years ago

This is two new blooms I had today in my garden :)

{{gwi:1272630}}

{{gwi:1272631}}

• laurieanngarris
    16 years ago

What a beautiful iris you have there!

• dietelbug
    16 years ago

I knew Datura was poisonous, but when I googled it I was amazed at the variety and it's lore. They are poisonous to ingest, but it said nothing about the moths that pollinate them pollinating the other things in the garden. Maybe post this question in the Veggie Garden Web, they may have a better answer. Una

Oh yeah they did say The foliage is extremely susceptible to viruses affecting other Solanaceous plants and may act as a host . . .So keep away from potatoes!

Here is a link that might be useful: Datura lore--long!

• medontdo
    16 years ago

ok, thanks Una! and Wendy those are so pretty! i'm not much for iris's cuz if i remember right tey don't last long, but man they are pretty! but my new love is lilie of the valley's and amaranthus's!! now i have a bunch of seeds started and i'm trying to start some seeds in ya know that shredded paper ya get in them baskets of lotions and stuff? well i fput them in egg cartons that are cardboard. so i'm gonna try them. LOL it didn't go as planned but we'll see. LOL

• ctack2
    16 years ago

When is the new swap starting? Or did I miss it already?
    It's so depressing to come here and have no new messages posted from this great group!
    Hope everyone is having a good week.
    Carol B

• medontdo
    16 years ago

i know, i agree carol, i love coming in here and seeing all the chatter as my hubby says. LOL yesterday i got a lily of the valley in pink and white and osterich fern in the mail. its so pretty!! i'm going to add i with burbaq's. so yours is going to be my centerpiece for my one garden. :')

• shadymeadow
    16 years ago

I seem to remember Vela saying she wouldn't be posting for a couple of weeks because she was going to be busy with graduation. Hopefully, she will be back soon and will let us know when the next swap will start.

Hope everyone's having fun in their gardens. My major project right now is trying to get rid of the landscape rocks in my front flower bed so I can start planting it. I didn't know it would be so hard. People say they want them and then don't show up. Oh well, I'm sure eventually they will be gone. I'm just anxious to get my garden established. Right now, all my plants are going into pots.

Happy gardening everyone.....Sandy

• medontdo
    16 years ago

that's so cool! i got my email about the stuff! thank you!! i'm getting SOME gardening done. i can't wait till the next swap!! whatever it is!!! seeds, plants or stuff or whatever!! talla busted my candle warmer. but my candle didn't bust, and now my house smells nice again.LOL and not like straw! she goes out and stays in the dog house and plays with the puppies. they're so cute don't wanta get rid of them !! LOL here's some of my picz added to the old ones in a slide show. [URL=http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t106/medontdo/my%20garden%20things/?action=view&current=1179845854.pbw][IMG]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t106/medontdo/my%20garden%20things/th_1179844505.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

and my banana plant is gettin bigger. LOL happy gardening all!!

• medontdo
    16 years ago

apparently my email is not working, don't know if it's on a break or what, but the banana seed was from talla's banana, we took the seeds out of her banana befor she ate it and then let them dry for a long time, then we put them into the pot with really good soil, about 2 weeks or so later up came that banana plant, that's the only seed we put in there, so please burbaq, don't break my heart and tell me somethin else snuck in there. :'( did i tell ya my honeysuckles are in full bloom, and my roses are too, i so love the smell!! especiall when the wind is coming from the north! :')

• vela75
    16 years ago

Hi all! I'm working on getting my house ready for company. My nephew's graduation party is this weekend and I have family coming to stay with me. I'll be posting the new swap sometime next week.

• medontdo
    16 years ago

http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t106/medontdo/new%20things/?mediafilter=slideshows its the latest one's. please tell me before i take a tiller to them, so i know to save them and transplant somewhere else or to put into the trash pile.

• beth_b_kodiak
    16 years ago

Alana, I just saw the photo with the view from your yard. Wow! You are one lucky lady. That looks so beautiful and peaceful.
    My brother moved to KY last fall and my DH went to college in Tenn. Both have told me it is beautiful and a great place to live. Guess I should get down that way and have a look for myself.
    Great group you have going here. Maybe I'll get in on your next swap.
    BB

• medontdo
    16 years ago

ok, i have the pink and white lily of the valley, ostrich fern, hosta, and i'm gonna put my pink rose bush, not big, and a little bit of my honeysuckle and orange trumpet vine- for foilage only, in the lotv garden. but i want to put something else in there to give it some wow and color!! help!! please!!

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

Thanks Beth. If you are ever in the neighborhood you are welcome to drop by and see the view firsthand.
    Of course, visitors are encouraged to bring their own shovels. As you can also see from the photograph, there is a whole lot of dividing that needs to happen with those plants!
    Alana

• shadymeadow
    16 years ago

I sent you an email

• User
    16 years ago

Ok first off I have some new pictures.

next off something at the baby leaves off of my three of the four sunflowers I planted :(, so now I'm stuck with two sunflowers, gotta go back out there and plant more to fill in the area.

Diene I don't know what some of those plants are that you sent me, I have them posted on my album, except the maple, do you know what kind that is?

My cinnamon basil seeds have started to turn into seedlings, lol I'm going to have a lot so if anyone wants some when they get bigger let me know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures

• medontdo
    16 years ago

that's definately nice! i get to go out and plant after i get the top part of her dress done!! i want it to be perfect! :') your grass sure looks nice too! i never really noticed grass befor till i started walking barefooted in the new feeling of grass in our back yard, i wish the front was like that! how long do our iris stay blooming and the lily of the valley? they are definately pretty!

• diene
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello Burbaq;
    The plants after the lilies of the valley are hens and chicks, I think I sent two kinds. One are bigger and mostly green and the others are smaller and mostly purple, they are two different varieties. They do very well around rocks and crevices and multiply lots. Then one day, one of them will start to grow a very tall thick stalk which will have a beautiful flower, it may not happen this year. The particular base it comes from will die off after producing the flower.
    The next plant is sedum which will get quite full and very tall with purple broccoli like flowers in the fall. It had a fancy name and came from a local greenhouse last year but do you think I can find that info?
    The last two are Irises but I think you know that. Lilies of the valley last a few weeks in bloom and the folaige lasts almost into the winter. The Irises are much the same, I usually clip the flowers as they start to wilt and sometimes get a second bloom from the same node. Some of them can be quite fragrant. I used to have a "Root Beer Iris" but I am not sure that made the move last year. It smelled just like root beer. It was pretty neat.
    Have a wonderful day. diene

• User
    16 years ago

The iris doesn't stay flowered too long, I had another to take a picture of but it's already gone, wanted to take these pics a few days ago but ya. Good thing about the iris is that they have more than one flower on them :p

The lily of the valley is still blooming but the early ones are starting to turn orange and dry up, I believe for seeds.

Lol ya I have been getting complements on the grass lately :p, ya I personally hate grass but ya my dad likes it, lol I should have planted flowers in the lawn while he was in Hawaii, lol hey I still have today :p

and ya i walk barefoot outside all the time, lol only time i wear shoes is when i go out to the store, or something like that, but if i'm filling the bird feeder, mail, watering or anythign it's always barefoot.

Ya I got to write an outline for my paper, how fun :p

• medontdo
    16 years ago

how fun! i have to wear sandles or something till we make sure there are no more roofing nails, then, woo hoo all the time, barefoot!! LOL i love the feeling of the grass on my feet!! hate it when i walk and them darned walnuts sneek in there and i don't see them! i want the last walnut tree out!!! those things are a menace!! but man the nuts are good!! LOL well tornadoe watch, theres a surprise. have fun w that paper! :')) hi all!!! thanks sandy!

• User
    16 years ago

lol my dad actually wants a black walnut tree, lol...we put a few nuts in the ground last fall but no signs of anything yet, do you put it in with the husk or peal that off first? People have told me that it is easier without the husk but ya I guess it's too late.

Ya I walk over everything barefoot, even the rocks. I guess if there were roofing nails ya I couldn't.

• medontdo
    16 years ago

me too, but talla my daughter stepped on one last summer at my moms, she was only 4 then, blood everywhere. send me your addy, i'll send ya some. and anything else ya want i have, LOL i have them popping up all over!!! LOL

• medontdo
    16 years ago

[IMG]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t106/medontdo/1180029765.jpg[/IMG]
    finally the dress is done, i had to actually sit down and stay there til it was done, LOL what do ya think of it? and how does everyone get their stuff in blue so you can just click on it?

• User
    16 years ago

picture is a lil blurry or just my eyes but it looks good :)

i dunno how they make the pictures show up in here, but for me I just post my link down below the message part in the URL thing, just put the http:blah blah blah and put in a name for the link, works good

• medontdo
    16 years ago

had to take it with a cell phone, LOL i'll have to try that sometime again. sometimes it'll go really good and other times i get the regular type like up there. how did your paper come out? did ya want any of them walnuts? thanks for the dress thing, i never know if it really looks good or what, ya know. i'm a perfectionist when it comes to my stuff i do. LOL

• User
    16 years ago

well it was just an outline which was due. now for this wednesday I actually have some writing to do, lol fun...um are any of them seedlings or just the nuts, because I can get the nuts fairly easy around here, but never see anything come up, well havn't seen anythign come up yet.

lol and my dad came home with some sort of seeds from hawaii yesterday, he doesn't know what the plant is just some kinda shrub. He said he liked the leaves on it and said it's small enough for an indoor plant...i'll have to see where this goes.

• medontdo
    16 years ago

hmmm, that's cool!! i like his thinking!! i'm the same way! it's like my trumpeter vine, love the foilage, don't care for the flower, some of the seeds i have i love the foilage don't like the flower, but if the flower don't smell, i might clip the flower and keep the plant just for foilage purposes. crazy huh! LOL and yes, they are seedlings, well little trees!! LOL did you ever fill out a want list for seeds and plants? i don't remember? i have tons i need to get rid of, that hubby say's they gotta go!! LOL well, i guess something along the way has to give, LOL he takes care of me so i can at least do that!! LOL :') so now i just try and trade in plants (ya right) LOL he he he he :') he checks the mail with me and say's what is this? and kinda rolls his eyes and smirks laughs whatever you guys call that thing. LOL but i just aw come on, i love ya and hopefully our yard will look pretty!! LOL and i'm happy!! and your hair cuts are nice and i don't "accidently" mess up!!! with a really onery look!! and smile!! LOL but in a couple a weeks the kids and i gotta go to oregon w my mom to my brothers wedding! i'm so excited!!! and she is so nice!! today i got a buncha hosta in. so now my one garden of "yours" will be completed, i think. and my berries came in looking beautiful!! i have to plant them today too! LOL Good luck on your "actual" writing! LOL :')

• vela75
    16 years ago

Company cancelled!! Let the new Robin begin!!! (New one posted). Hope to see you all there!!

• medontdo
    16 years ago

i am so there!! i have to get aholda chrystallake_2007, know what it's gonna be??? i'm soooooo anxious!!!!

• vela75
    16 years ago

Hey medontdo!! I'm so happy you're going to do it again..it wouldn't be the same without you! I have already posted the thread...it's titled "new: open invitation to new make new friends robin"....atleast it's titled something like that. Heres a link

Here is a link that might be useful: New Robin

• User
    16 years ago

medontdo i sent you an email.