Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
galium_gw

~June~ Cracked Pot Gardners

galium
15 years ago

The most noteworthy thing about gardeners is that they are always optimistic,

always enterprising and never satisfied. They always look forward to doing

something better than they have ever done before.

Vita Sackville-West

Cracked Pot GardnerÂs is a swap group that share their

plants, cuttings, bulbs, seeds, gardening supplies, etc. with

one another. We also share gardening tips, pictures and

friendship. The hostesses for this group are

Michelle/micyrey and myself Mariann/galium.

Everyone should have received an email with their partnerÂs

name and address:

Michelle/micyrey sends to Karen/kalena67
Linda/ibartoo and Jeanne/sandlapper_rose
Mariann/galium and Huong/hmle2217
Tracy/tracyvine and Louise/esiuol
Deb/debbya and Marie/wynative
beckilove and Sue/sguanzon
Tammy/thelwig55 and Trina/pixieluvplants
Karen/kalena67 sends to Sharon/scottrell
Sharon/scottrell sends to Michelle/micyrey

~Please have your boxes in the mail by Tuesday June 24th
(If you need an extension please contact Michelle or myself
~Post the DC# when you send
~Post when you receive your box.
~Please have your Exchange Page up to date to help your

partner.

This month we are celebrating three birthdays:
Sue/sguanzon-June 7
Becki/beckilove-June 10
Trina/pixieluvplants-June 20th

Comments (108)

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi everyone,
    We arrived home yesterday evening to wonderful cool weather. Had a great time visiting with my brother and sister. Thought I'd post a few farm pictures.

BROWN SWISS AND JERSEY CALVES

AYRSHIRE CALF

SUN SETTING ON SILOS

VIEW FROM DECK

Their farm is on a hill overlooking beautiful vistas. Everywhere you turn is a picture.

Hope everyone had a great weekend and Father's Day.
    Mariann

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Mariann, the calves are just adorable. I love the views at the farm. I would love to wake up to that every morning.

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

Mariann,
    I would love to visit a farm! The little brown swiss calf is adorable!

Marie,
    Hoya's can bloom all year long. The blooms were from "Bella" the mini hoya. It's in bloom right now. If a hoya doesn't bloom, give it more light and a little more neglect. The hoya "Publicalyx" has a scent like gardenia and one bloom fills the room with an overpowering scent, especially at night. I can't take the scent sometimes and cut off the blooms! Some varieties smell like cinnamon (Cumingia, variety I sent), some vanilla, etc. The blooms last for weeks!

Deb

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

hello
    I know I have not posted latly my computer has been acting up and it just takes too long to load sometimes.

I have been trying to find a way to help volentier with some of the flooding issues but no one will let me help with the boys and I don't have anyone to watch them, so I guess I will have to be contant with sending food to the salvation army shelter.

could any one make it to a chat party on thursday night, if you can let me know what times are ok, don't forget to say E, C, M, or P time.

ooo I have a box on the way yay and happy dance

I will get my box for kalana out tomarrow, jeremy was sick the last few days so I did not get ot out.

I just love the baby cows, I told seth that if we ever get some property I want a jursey or brown swiss for a pet, I just think they have the sweetest faces.

well I'll try to post some picks of the garden tomarrow, anyone that wants to get on the photo bucket website, please feel free to check out my page it is under micyrey ofcourse

well I'm off the check on the seed swap
    michelle

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

It's nap time, so I have a few minutes to spare. Thought I better check in! I'm not sure if I will be able to be in the chat room Thur. night. My boys are in squirts/Little League, and Tues. & Thurs. are game nights. Busy month this is!

I'm hoping to get Sharons box out either this week or Monday. How is the weather there for you, Sharon? Just wondering if I should vent the box. Well, I better go check on the rest of the kids who are outside! Have a great day everyone!

My thoughts & prayers are with those of you in Iowa and any other state with flooding/bad weather.

Karen

• scottrell
    15 years ago

Hi everyone! I sent Michelle's out this morning DC# 03070020000216351099. I hope everything makes it there safely.

Well, it is hot hot hot! So yes Karen, please vent the box, you should also put in an air conditioner and some ice cubes too! LOL!

It is time for me to close down my vegetable garden. I have put some tomato and pepper plants in pots that have not run their course yet. I suspect that the garden has nemotoids, so I will have to sterilize the soil this summer.

The buttefly garden is doing its job, we have lots of happy butterflies and cats.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to those who have been in the floods also.

Been doin' the rain dance here, been in a drought for over three years.

Happy Gardening to all! - Sharon

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    Mariann, those babies are sooooo adorable!!! I just love being in the country.

Deb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please do a private swap with me and send me a Hoya that smells like Gardenia!!! My fav. fragrance along with Jasmine. The Hoya's you sent me are doing great btw.

Along with prayers to those that are flooded (unfair weather I assure you) ya'll plz send prayers to my portion of the country and those others that are under severe drought conditions. It rains all around but not a drop here. OHHH Sharon I am doing the rain dance with you and for you because after three years sheesh. STEP BACK NON BELIEVERS OR THE RAIN WILL NEVER COME, SOMEONE GET THAT FIRE STARTED AND SOMEBODY BEAT THOSE DRUMS!!! (Tanya Tucker song "Lizzie and the Rainman, yeppers I've been searching and prayin too!!)

Pixie

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm sending best wishes and warm thoughts to everyone who has suffered through storms, flooding and drought.

Sharon-I was reading your post and I thought "shutting down veggie garden???" What's that about?? Then I realized that you were in zone 9. Can you still grow warm weather crops? I guess they would burn up in the heat.

Don't forget tomorrow eve. Masquerade Party in the Chat Room. When I hear back from Michelle I'll probably send out emails to everyone. I suggested 8pm EST.
    Mariann

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

Hi All,

I won't be able to make it to the Masquerade Ball tomorrow night. I will be gone until next Weds/Thurs. a friend of mine has asked me to go to NM with her. Her Grandmother ownsa house and alot of land there (her GM left two years ago) on a lake so I am going. Its around Logan, NM. We are leaving in the morning (12+ hours trip depending on how much we stop and both of us LOVE the antique shops lol). Anyways, hopefully while I am gone my gardens will do better than when I am here because Fox will be taking care of them!!! I have a pair of Mockingbirds and a couple Bluejays that love to feast on my unripe tomatoes, don't know what to do about them dangie!!!

Fox also got me an early B-day gift... a vaccuum for my pool, trust me I LOVE it! The one I have doesn't pick up the sand/small dirt so I needed one of these and I like practical gifts (well I like not so practical gifts also lol)

Also I have an appt with a neurologist at 1 on Monday the 30th. I have a very small Acoustic Neuroma in/on/inside whatever of my right ear. Its a benign tumor. I will find out then what I can do about the lil alien in my head lol.

Rattled on enough for now, ya'll have a very good and safe week and I'll talk to ya'll when I get back!

Smiles,
    Pixie

• thelwig55
    15 years ago

Pixie, so happy to hear you tumor is benign, what a relief!
    Some of my rose cuttings are getting tiny new leaves, should be a good sign.
    Mariann your farm photos are great, what wonderful views and the babies are so sweet, I grew up on a beautiful farm and the babies I do miss, now the work,no I do not miss!
    I maybe able to drop into the chat room, things are slowing down to a manageable speed. Still not caught up, but have around 1200 cutting under mist, so that is on is way. Still need to clean out a bed to get my ws babies into, many are almost full size plants. Tammy

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

hello
    I will be in the chat room tonight (just wrote myself a note, I have a terrible memory) have you all seen Quincy on the news, my goodness we have had senatores, candedates, reporters and officials all over the place and more comming today.
    our house is going to be fine, and most of the town, but we can't go across the river for cheep gas(gas is cheeper in missouri) becouse the gas stations there have packed up emptied the tanks and left.
    I checked the missouri DOT and it looks like I can get to the farm so I plane to go tomarrow, but I may have to go south to hannibal and cross the river there, one of our bridges is closed and the other is now one lane each way and trafic is rilly slow.
    kalanas box was picked up yesterday
    DC#0103 8555 7494 9944 9745
    I have 6 monarch butterflies getting ready to hatch today.

well I hope to see some of you tonight
    michelle

• wynative
    15 years ago

Michelle,

Your butterflies are cool! Please post pictures of them hatching???

Deb,
    Thanks for the info! Yes, I to love scented everything - I will move my old one into more sun and see what happens. I will take a picture of it and send - it is varigated - maybe you can tell me what kind it is?

Marie

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

Michelle, I was searching the internet for news/pics of flooding in your area yesterday, and was hoping you weren't being affected by it! I'm so glad you are not!

I've been checking my asclepias for monarch cats, but none yet. I like how you hang them. How do you do that?

I wish I could visit in the chat room, but again, I have my boys' ball games to watch. They are out of town tonite. They both play at the same time. Thats frustrating, because I like to see them both play. I'll be on the look out for your package! Yea!

Sharon, your package, for sure!, will go out on Monday. I don't want to send it before the week end.

Have a great day everyone! Thoughts and prayers still going out to those dealing with flooding/drought.

Karen

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

hello
    I hang my monarch chrysis by very carfully pulling the silk they hang themselvs from, off the cage and pull it up then use tape to fix it to the paper clip I opened up. for some reason lots of my chrysislises fell or were comming loose so I just hung them all.

sorry I did not get picks of this batch, the boys and I relesed 6 this afternoon, but it looks like 6 or 7 more are turning black so they will open tomarrow.

I got my box from sharon today
    inside I found cannas, cassias(I have been wanting these) seeds too, milkweeds(with the floods wiping them out I can use all I can get
    prickaly pear, and pencil tree
    freesia bulbs and acidanthera bulbs
    a program from butterfly world (I'm bumed I did not get to go there)
    some birds and blooms mags
    a great glass jar with red cherries and green laefs on it
    seashells(timmy claimed these) and an elephant and dianasour for jeremy

and seeds

thank you for everything I will go out first thing in the morning and get the plants in the ground

well I'm off to the chat room
    michelle

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I really enjoyed our Masquerade Party last night. Hope to do it again soon.

Thought I'd post a few pictures I took yesterday.
    Daylily 'Happy Returns' My first daylily of this year to bloom.

Heliopsis 'Summer Sun'
    {{gwi:1272739}}
    Great Spangled Fritillary Thanks Michelle for the ID
    {{gwi:498678}}
    Have a great day,
    Mariann

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

I hope you have a wonderful Birthday Trina!!

Karen

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Trina, I hope you are having a fun filled birthday and a great day. Smooches!

Hi everyone, sorry I couldn't make it to the Masquerade Party last night. I had to take the boys shoe shopping and wasn't able to get back home in time. My 10 year old is now wearing men's size shoes! How in the world did he get such big feet? I hope everyone has a great day.

Tracy

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

Michelle, I received your box today. Thank you so much!!
    This is what I received;

Pink Milkweed ~ I wintersowed some last year, and the monarch cats got to it before it could bloom. I'm not sure if it is up this year or if it is something else I'm looking at, and what I wintersowed this winter didn't germ. so I'm so happy to have gotten some!!

Coleus cuttings ~ I put them in water, and will wait for them to root. They look like very pretty varieties, and I alway have space for these!

Dianthus ~ I love dianthus, and this one has a bud getting ready to bloom! It looks like it will have very nice coloring.

Rose of Sharon ~ I don't have any of this, and can't wait to get this growing!! How big does this get?

Geranium ~ pale pink. I also love Geraniums. I have a good spot for this! :)

Verbena on a Stick ~ I think I got some seed from you in a seed swap for this. I wintersowed it and had very good germination. They are transplanted into my bed, but are still small. (We need warmer weather, I think) so I will put this with them, and maybe it will bloom for me before the others. I'm excited about seeing these bloom in groups!

Lilac, purple ~ I have a light purple lilac, and will plant this nearby! I am trying to grow a privacy fence with these.

Russian Sage ~ This will go in my new bed. I have one in my other bed, and it never looks like I can divide it, so I'm very happy to have another for my new bed. These are such pretty plants!

Michele also sent me 2 Horticulture magazines, and I can't wait to relax and look at these! I love looking at/reading gardening magazines. Michelle also sent a very nice card/note with the box. Thank you so much Michelle, for a great box!! Everything looks wonderful!

Karen

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's time for an update:

Karen/kalena67-received
    Linda/ibartoo-sent-received
    Jeanne/sandlapper_rose-sent-received
    Mariann/galium
    Huong/hmle2217
    Tracy/tracyvine
    Louise/esiuol
    Deb/debbya-sent-received
    Marie/wynative-sent-received
    Becki/beckilove
    Sue/sguanzon
    Tammy/thelwig55-sent-received
    Trina/pixieluvplants-sent-received
    Sharon/scottrell-sent
    Michelle/micyrey-sent-received

If I missed someone let me know. If anyone needs an extension email Michelle or myself.

Everyone is getting such great boxes. I really enjoy reading about what was sent.

Huong's box will be going out tomorrow and I'll post the DC#. We waited until the end of the month to swap because of Huong's move to her new home.

Trina-Is that tumor inside your ear canal??? So happy that it's benign.
    Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
    Mariann

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's time for an update:

Karen/kalena67-received
    Mariann/galium
    Huong/hmle2217
    Tracy/tracyvine
    Louise/esiuol
    Deb/debbya-sent-received
    Becki/beckilove
    Sue/sguanzon
    Sharon/scottrell-sent

If I missed someone let me know. If anyone needs an extension email Michelle or myself.

Everyone is getting such great boxes. I really enjoy reading about what was sent.

Huong's box will be going out tomorrow and I'll post the DC#. We waited until the end of the month to swap because of Huong's move to her new home.

Trina-Is that tumor inside your ear canal??? So happy that it's benign.
    Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
    Mariann

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Good Morning everyone! Mariann, Trina is out of town for the week. She is visiting New Mexico with a friend of hers. Didn't want you to worry since she won't be around. I am whipping up a batch of your deer repellent. My lasagna bed was attacked by the beasts Friday night. They chomped off all of the buds to my lilies and the buds to some of my daylilies and all the foliage off Malva Zebrina. Evil critters! I felt like I deflated when all of my soon to blooms disappeared. :o(

Karen, that is such a nice box that you received from Michelle! I love the gardening books. They answer so many questions and have such good ideas.

Louise and I have been in contact and I will be mailing her box out tomorrow. I will be back this evening to post dc then. Have a great day!

Tracy

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Huong-Your box will go in the mail tomorrow DC#
    0103 8555 7494 6162 3296
    Mariann

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

Sharon, your box is going out today, and I will post DC# later. I hope you like everything!

Thought I'd share some pic.s
    Heuchera Fuzzy Bells (they're looking good Tracy!)

Heuchera 'Key Lime Pie' also from Tracy

Geranium 'Tiny Monster' I just love the shape of the leaves! Pretty flowers too.

Naturalizing Iris that I wintersowed last year, and it bloomed this year!!

One of the 2 dif. Peonies I have

Have a great day everyone! I'll check in later.

Karen

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

Sharon, your package is on its way, DC # 0308 0730 0000 9874 9655.

Check back later,
    Karen

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Karen, I am so excited that the plants are doing so well for you! Holy moly they got big quick! I'm so pleased! Your yellow iris and peony are so pretty!

Louise, I have the DC# for your box. It is 0103 8555 7494 5136 7957. I wanted to get it packed up yesterday but we had severe thunderstorms rolling through all afternoon and into the evening. I did try to get some gardening done and I was a muddy mess for my efforts. I looked like I belonged in a pig stye by the time I came in to wash up.

Have a great day!

Tracy

• beckilove
    15 years ago

Sue - I got the wonderful box today!! I will be doing my best to get yours out tomorrow!

Sue sent me:
    a Rosemary plant (thank you SO MUCH! I started mine from seeds, but they are still so little, that I can't cut from them yet!)
    a Cuphea plant
    a Clivia "Best Bronze"
    a Lisianthus (Awesome!! I wanted some so badly, but it got too late for me to plant any seeds, so I traded them away! Thank you so much! It already has a flower!!!!)
    a package of Jobe's plant food spikes
    A greenhouse grow kit - awesome! I will use this later today!
    a Ginberbread cookie candle - yummy!!
    lovely metal plant stakes with a pen
    and a very special Thomas Kincade book "A Mother's Wisdom" - I will cherish this Sue, I know how special it is!

Thank you so much for the truly wonderful box!! I love everything!!

I have to get to the 51 lbs. of strawberries we picked at a U-pick on Saturday morning. I am going to cap and crush them, and freeze them in packages I will be able to put right into my jams, when I'm ready to make more!

Becki

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

Becki, you just amaze me with all the work you do canning, freezing, and making things! 51 lbs, wow! And what a great box you received from Sue!

Tracy, that Peony is one that I sent you. I have pics of the double pink, but haven't uploaded it yet into photobucket. I wanted you to see it.

The Yellow Iris really surprised me, because I didn't think it would bloom its 2nd year from seed.

I bought a Peony 'Sorbet' last year, and was so happy to see buds on them this year, (I worried about how deep I planted them) and then they bloomed all white with some dark pink streaks in the center. They look nothing like 'Sorbet'(Which has 3 dif. colors!) grumble grumble.. I guess I'm hoping they might be different next year? but I won't be holding my breath. I wish I could remember which catalog I ordered it from. It is still pretty, and smells wonderful. But it isn't what I paid for. Oh well, could be worse..

In case I'm not able to get online again today, I hope you all have a good afternoon/evening!

Karen

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

Karen,
    I purchased my Sorbet from "Spring Hill" and loved it (while I had it). My Husband mowed it down with the lawnmower and it didn't come back. He was smiling at me while I was watching out the door and put the lawnmower in powerdrive and drove right over sorbet! He tried to turn but didn't do it fast enough. He promised to buy me a new sorbet, but I forgot about it. Hmm, thanks for reminding me!

Deb

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

No problem Deb! Sounds like something my hubby would do. The peony in my above pics used to get mowed over every year, every time he mowed until the last 3 years. Now he leaves them alone. Go figure! I have to giggle though, thinking about your poor DH.

Talk to you all tomorrow. (If those kids don't keep me too busy. Tomorrow night I have to go to a ball game for my youngest son. Not sure when I'll get online)

Karen

• hmle2217
    15 years ago

I hope everyone is doing well. I just wanted to post a note that I sent my package to Mariann early this morning. The DC # is 0308 0070 0000 9825 4215.

I also wanted to post some pictures of our new puppy, Casey. We got him the same day we moved into our first home. I would not suggest anyone getting a puppy AND move at the same time. It has been a hectic time but a joyous and exciting time as well. We love our new house and I believe Casey does too. We're in the fun steps of potty training him and it's challenging but going well!

Casey #1

Casey #2

My husband and his dog. I love this picture. He didn't know I was taking it. hehe

Here is a link that might be useful: A Veggie Garden Blog

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Karen, I love love love the peonies that you sent. They are both looking healthy and happy. The red stemmed one did perfectly after I planted it but the green stemmed one went through a bit of shock and is finally perking up nicely. It was funny since they both arrived looking like they were freshly dug that morning and then the green one took a dive after I put it out in the bed. I thought "Great! Karen's peonies miss their mommy!" LOL!

Deb, too funny on remembering your hubby owes you a peony. Time to collect! lol!

Huong, your puppy is so adorable. I love the picture of him hanging out with your hubby. He is so sweet! I hope you are enjoying your new home!

Tracy

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Is anyone having problems with this site or is it just me. My update post was rejected so I tried it again and it was still rejected. When I looked my post came up twice. This has happened to me several times.

Tracy-I'm so sorry that something ate your plants in the lasagna bed. I did have 3 daylilies that were eaten to the ground but that was before I sprayed. So far so good. The spray doesn't always work with ground hogs.

Deb-We had a teenager mowing for us one year and I asked him to not mow down my new rose. He mowed it down anyway. My DH is great about staying away from my flower beds. Are you going to cash in on the peony???

Karen-Love the pics. There is something about perennial geraniums that I just can't get enough of. Between the beautiful foliage and the bright flowers they are lovely.

Huong-Your new puppy is adorable!!! Looks like a yellow lab. Your DH looks like he's in his element with his new pal.

Becki-51 lbs. of strawberries, now how many jars of jam will that make??? I hope you have a fan in the kitchen.LOL
    Have a great day everyone,
    Mariann

• beckilove
    15 years ago

I wish I had a fan in the kitchen! I am freezing them so I can actually make the jam on a cool day! I got about 23 lbs. frozen so far, and hope to finish that up today. I am HOPING that all of them will make about 160-170 half-pints of jam. That should keep me set for a while! I might use them for other things too, but for now, that is the plan.

Sue's box is going out today, with dc #0103 8555 7494 2112 6577. I have to ammend what I wrote yesterday, the lisianthus had many blooms on it! I got all the plants potted up or planted this morning - they look lovely! Thank you again, Sue!

Huong - that puppy is adorable!!!

Hugs,
    Becki

• esiuol
    15 years ago

Tracy,
    Your box went in the mail this morning. (#03073330000213215818) I tried not to include any spiders this time. ***Last month, one stowed away in the box I sent to Deb.

Louise

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Louise, I can't wait to see what surprises you packed away for me. lol! I remember Deb's little stowaway. That was too funny. I once had a worm try to get into one of my boxes. I noticed him as he was slithering across my counter when I was wrapping up the roots. I think that would have made for a funny little extra for my partner. :o)

Becki, way to go on the strawberries. I would love to find a farm around here to take the kids picking. I freeze strawberries and blackberries each summer. I save them for making berry pie when we have our friends over for cookouts. So good with a big fat dollop of ice cream.

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

ok ok the talk of berries and berry pies is rilly getting to me SO STOP IT!! just kidding

dose any one want to have another chat party this week? I wont cheat this time, honest. my typing is just such a give away. any evening this week is fine with me, if any one has a day that is best for them just post it here.

it is raining again, and the river is still so high, our east bound bridge over the miss. river was still under water on monday.

here are some pick from the community garden

this is my black swallow tail nursery, with parsley, fennel and dill. along the fence here is vinca, tithonia and snapdragons

this is my tomato section, they are still kinda small, the weather has just been to cool for them. on the fences to the side I have my small squash, gourds, and some morning glories.

this is my flower garden, with snaps, cosmos, larkspurs, merigolds and sunflowers. along the left side is potatos.

we are having a garden tour in town this weekend and the comm. garden is on it so I need to go do some clean up and weeding. if it rver stops raining.

see ya all later
    michelle

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Hey Michelle, would you like me to send you some of my blackberry bushes? :o) Then you could eat pie till your teeth turn purple! lol! I have tons of suckers showing up from where I moved them out of last year. My crop disappeared in the middle of the night last summer. This year I will be on berry patrol! I won't be able to do the chat this week. We are on the final countdown getting ready for the big grad party on Saturday. We are expecting around 100 guests. Good luck with the garden tour. I am hoping the water subsides soon. I have been watching the news and keep praying for relief for everyone that is having such a horrible time with the flooding. Thank goodness it isn't worse by you.

Tracy

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Your gardens look great Michelle! Have fun with the tour.

In case anyone checks in: we are having another Masquerade Party in the Chat room tomorrow night, Thursday, at 8pm EST. Hope more of you can make it we had a great time. If we can keep unnamed members from cheating...LOL Don't know how you two kept up with what you were doing.

I've been working on a new shade plant area. It's in front of the house under the eves. I have 7 plants in there and a little frog ornament. It does get some morning sun although it's more dappled. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them. I haven't even had time to get to my veggie garden.
    Have a great day everyone,
    Mariann

• scottrell
    15 years ago

Hi! I love looking at everyones pictures! Everything looks great!
    I received my box from Karen today! All I can say is WOW!
    everything was packed with such care and all the plants look very healthy and green! I received:
    A yucca plant- this is new for me.
    Amnosonia
    Hosta noid
    Hosta sum and substance
    creeping phlox
    2 polka dot plants
    Lots and lots of seeds from my wants!
    Birds and Blooms Mag
    A dragonfly windsock
    A Garden theme book Love love love this!!!
    pink gardening gloves, almost too pretty to use in the dirt
    I feel lucky to have had Karen as a partner, this box was so thoughtful. Thank you so much!! - Sharon

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm back!!!

I just received a terrific package from Huong.

She sent me lots of seeds:
    Hesperis 'Sweet Rocket'
    Coleus Wizard
    Hosta
    Phlox
    Silene-Catchfly
    Daylily
    Nicotiana pink
    California Poppy
    Blue Flax
    Butterfly Orchid
    Chinese Houses
    Agrostemma
    Gilia-Bird's Eyes

She also sent me Thank You note cards & envelopes. I actually have 3 thank you's to send out so they will come in handy. There were also adorable seed packets (always need those) and a lovely beaded bracelet.

Huong thank you so much for everything. I'm looking forward to starting some of the seeds especially the Butterfly Orchid.

Mariann

• hmle2217
    15 years ago

Mariann sent me the nicest and biggest box! What a great housewarming present. I can't wait to plant the cuttings you rooted for me! Eek...so excited. I got so many things I hope I can remember everything. Mariann sent me:

-Sedum Frosty morn
    -Sedum medio varigatum
    -Jasmines-night blooming and star
    -Arrowhead plants
    -Rubber coated gloves (I totally needed these!!)
    -Plant stakes (they will look great in my raised beds)
    -Garden inoculant (I'm so excited to try this out. Thank you thank you thank you! I hope to have tons of peas and beans)
    -Pretty wind chime
    -Muslin bags for seed saving (I'm an addict for seed saving. These will come in handy)

Seeds
    -Basil-sweet
    -Basil-thai
    -Basil-lime
    -Swiss chard-orange fantasia
    -Gooseberry
    -El Dorado melon
    -Swiss chard-pink lipstick
    -Wild rocket
    -Poppies

She even got snacks for my new lab puppy. On behalf of Casey, Thanks! He loves everything.

Thank you so much. It was like Christmas morning! I can't wait to try all the seeds, hang up my wind chime and plant my plants! Thanks!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Veggie Garden Blog

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

Sharon, you're welcome, and I'm so glad that you liked everything. I worry about sending things that won't make it in your zone, so I hope these all do fine. There are some neat things in the book I sent. (I had to check it out!) I'm happy you like it!

Well, I'm off to bed. I'm hoping to make it to the chat room tomorrow, but I'll have to see how things go. My youngest has ball practice, and I have a couple of other things I'm going to try and get done during the day, but sometimes the kids keep me too busy.

Good Night,
    Karen

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

I received the nicest box from Louise today. Thank you so much! I was so excited when I saw what you sent to me.

Louise sent some very lovely lavender knit gardening gloves that are so soft and light. She sent 2 nice healthy White Swan Echinacea (I love the coneflowers!), Coreopsis Rosea (I love it!), Variegated Hardy Geranium (you have no idea how excited I was when I saw it! Geranium are a new love for me this past year and I love the foliage!), and also a beautifully scented Provence Lavender! I was so sad when my lavender disappeared over winter and didn't come back for me. You made my day when I found this in the box! She also sent a huge variety of seeds and some very pretty rose Post-It notes and pen set. I am now all set for my next round of winter sowing. I can't wait and am already thinking about collecting this years containers!

Louise, all the plant arrived in such fantastic condition. They are some of the greenest, healthiest plants I have ever received. You must take wonderful care of them in your gardens. Thank you so much for being my partner this month. I was very touched by your generosity. I only hope that you liked your box as much as I liked mine. Thank you again.

Tracy

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's a good thing this month is almost over. This thread is getting harder and harder for me to load. I'll be sending out info. and a partner list for July this weekend.

Update:
    Karen/kalena67-sent-received
    Mariann/galium-sent-received
    Huong/hmle2217-sent received
    Tracy/tracyvine-sent-received
    Louise/esiuol-sent
    Deb/debbya-sent-received
    Becki/beckilove-sent-received
    Sue/sguanzon-sent
    Sharon/scottrell-sent-received
    Have a great weekend
    Mariann

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Good Morning Mariann, I hope everyone had fun last night in the chat room. Sorry I couldn't come. I checked the DC on the package for Louise and it shows that it was delivered on June 25th.

Have a great day!
    Tracy

• esiuol
    15 years ago

Tracy,
    IÂm so happy you like what I sent. I wish I would have had more lavender to send you. I usually have Âbabies growing all over the yard but this year I havenÂt found any. I did get your box on the 25th and everything was in great shape. I couldnÂt believe how many plants you got to fit in that mailing tube. The hostas, heuchera and fern are going under the huge pin oak tree in my back yard. (She also managed to include 2 different coneflowers and much needed hand lotion in there)
    Thanks you so much. I really enjoyed being your partner this month!!
    Louise

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Louise, I am very excited that you liked your plants. I wonder what the deal was with lavender not popping up this year. I guess it didn't like our heavy northern winter. I really love the lavender you sent. It has a nicer fragrance than the one I lost. I smelled it as soon as I moved some things in the box and boy was I happy when I found it!

That was only my second time sending plants in the mailing tube. I was hoping that using these would lessen the need to cut back the foliage on some of the taller ones and minimize the plants getting tossed around too much while enroute. Let me know your opinion on whether or not I should use them again. You'll have to post pics of the oak tree when all that fills in. I bet it will be pretty.

I planted all of yours in the largest bed of the rock garden. It is right by our patio so I will get to enjoy your plants up close all summer long when I sit down for a break.

Oh, did you get the big red bug that I sent? I thought you might get a grin out of her. :o) Enjoy the hand lotion. I live by it since I am constantly washing my hands raw after gardening. This was a fun swap for me too. Thanks for making my gardens so much better!

Tracy

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

Hi everyone!

Well, the deer were at it again. (only the 2nd time) They snacked on some Lady's Mantle, grazed on some Sedum, and enjoyed themselves with some Amaranth intense purple. Michelle, I got these in a seed swap (can't remember which one, but they are from your seed) Luckily they didn't eat anything down to the stem, but boy are they frustrating! I still haven't tried any of the deer repellant recipe, but I think I better before they discover the veg. garden. Its right next to my flower beds.

Can you believe we're pretty much done with June? Seems like I was just complaining about all of our early spring snow! I have some pics to upload into photobucket, will hopefully get to that sometime this week end.

You all take care and have a great week end!
    Karen

• sguanzon
    15 years ago

I got my box from Becki on Thursday. Everything was beautifully packaged and arrived just fine!

I got:

A moisture meter (this will come in so handy!)
    Nasturtium seeds "Moonlight" - can't wait to plant these this winter!
    Plants: Coleus "Chocolate Mint"
    Geranimum "Border Supreme"
    Peppermint
    Thyme
    Hibiscus "Old Yella"
    Begonia "Royal Picotee"

Thanks so much Becki - I love everything!

Sue G.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath