Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ericabraun

NEW: 4th of July Seed Swap!

EricaBraun
9 years ago

July 4th is just around the corner. Let's show our American spirit GardenWeb-style with a red, white and blue swap!
RULES:
Qualifying plants include anything that produces red, white or blue foliage, flowers, fruits/veggies, or herbs.
Only five packs of the same type of seeds are allowed. If you send in more than 5, the extras will be considered bonus and will not count towards the number of packets sent in.
Minimum of 10 seeds per pack. No seeds older than 2012. Anything older than 2012 will be considered bonus and will not count towards the number of packets sent in.
Send in however many packs you want. Whatever you send will be the amount that I return to you. Use a bubble mailer, as this is what will be used to return your new seeds.
Include a return label with your address on it.
Include the postage it cost you to send, plus one additional stamp. This will help account for potential differences in weight/bulk.
Include a list of what you have sent me so that I can make sure and send you totally different seeds. If you do not include a list, you may very well get back some of what you sent in.
When I have all of the seeds, I will divide them up to send back to you. Any additional seeds welcome.
Deadline to get the seeds to me is June 20th. I will get your new seeds out no later than June 27th. This will give the post office a full week to get your packets to you, so that you can receive them by July 4th.
Please respond here if you are interested. Remember the more unusual or rare, the better!
Send seeds to:
Erica Braun
1894 Lindo St
Benicia, CA 94510

Wishing you all a happy and fun 4th of July, GardenWeb-style!
Erica

Comments (87)

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    9 years ago

Erica, Thanks for hosting. I'd love to join. I need to distribute my surplus seeds and this should make a nice dent. I will try to get them in this weeks mail.

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Welcome aboard, Jennifer. I'm thrilled to have you join us!

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Suzanne and Diana, I received your seeds today. Everything looks in order. You both did a great job.

I'm getting really excited! We have a bunch of great seeds so far.

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    9 years ago

I'm sending off my seeds today. Please let me know when they arrive. Have a great day. Jen

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Will do. Looking forward to receiving them.

• midwestfarmwife
    9 years ago

Erica, my seeds were sent today. Thanks for hosting!

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Excellent, Mary! I can't wait!

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just a reminder to everyone participating, seeds need to be to me by June 20th, so that I can get them back to you before July 4th. I'll keep the list of participants/seeds received updated as I get seeds in.

We have some excellent seeds so far! Don't miss out by forgetting to send yours in!

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I received seeds from 3 people today:
    jensyen
    grdngramma
    skyblue52

Wonderful seeds, ladies!

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mary, I received your seeds today. They look great, but I'm not sure I can even count that high! Lol. I'll do my best, but no promises that I'll be able to scrounge up 186 packs of different seeds.That one is going to be a challenge!

Still waiting on a few people to get their seeds in. It should help some.

This post was edited by EricaBraun on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 16:37

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

?? What is the average number of packets to send in??

Mary E

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cottonwood 468, you can send in any number you like. So far I have a range from 15-186.

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

I can't do it this time. I'm starting over here after gardening in one place for a long time, different home. It sure sounds like fun. Now when I look at seed websites, aside from what I want, I'm thinking "What would be fun to swap?"

• cryptid
    9 years ago

Seeds mailed yesterday! :) - I just taped the flap shut without using the envelope's built-in sealing strip, so you can use it instead.

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Darrin, thanks for the heads-up. I'll keep an eye out for it!

• amybabyboy3
    9 years ago

I am sorry, I just realized the deadline was the 20th and I thought it was the 29th. I apologize I will not get them there in time so I will try again next year. Thank you, Amy

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A special thanks for Frank (franc - GW) for his generous contribution to our swap!

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The 20th has arrived! I know that I am still waiting on a package from Darrin/cryptid, but I need to know if there are anymore incoming packages. If I don't hear back from anyone, I'll will begin assembling the packages as soon as Darrin's arrives.

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Darrin, I just got your seeds. I love the adorable 4th of July themed seed envelopes! And thank you for the butterfly pin. It's very cute.

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Holy hell! It took me all day to sort those seeds. Lol. Anyway, it is done! Wonderful seeds and so many choices. Between some extra freebies that Jensyen, Franc, and I provided, everyone ended up with a nice amount of bonus packs, on top of the number of packs you sent in.

For everyone that had a wish list posted, I took a look through your "wants." I think I was able to get at least one match for everyone who had a list. (Some of you I was able to match much more).

I will be shipping Mon. You should all receive your packs well before the 4th of July.

Again, thank you to everyone who participated! This has been a blast! I hope I can put a smile on everyone's face when you get your goodies!

Erica

• sdambr
    9 years ago

Thank you Erica for hosting, for all the time you have put in and for keeping us updated and to the others who have contributed. Looking forward to getting the package. Thanks also much!

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I mailed the seeds off this morning. You should all be getting them shortly!

Thanks again to everyone who participated. I hope you all enjoy your seeds and have a great 4th of July!

This post was edited by EricaBraun on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 15:38

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Desirai,

Your seeds came in the mail today. I would have held off rearranging swap packets, had I known they were incoming. However, I went ahead and swapped your seeds for some of mine. It probably ended up in your favor, since I tried to match as many things on your want list with what I had available. You will end up with a small bit of color variation, but I think you will be pleased with what you get.

I will put it out in the mail tomorrow.

Erica

• cryptid
    9 years ago

Kewlest, Erica! Can't hardly wait! This will definitely be the highlight of our month! :)

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol. Thanks, Darrin. *hugs* Have a great 4th and thanks for joining the swap!

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    9 years ago

I'll be collecting seeds from these beauties for next years 4th of July swap. I have a feeling this is going to be one of my favorite group swaps. Erica, Thanks for hosting.

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very pretty, Jen. I'm sure people would be thrilled to get seeds for such lovely flowers. Thanks so much for participating, and an extra thanks for the goodie bags you put together for the participants! It was such a thoughtful gesture to put together bonus packs based on people's "want" lists.

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    9 years ago

Erica, My seeds arrived today. Thank you very much for sending such an interesting mix of red, white and blues. Thanks to all the participants. Great seeds! Have a happy and safe 4th of July.
    Posted review for this swap at this link:

Here is a link that might be useful: EricaBraun rate and review

This post was edited by jensyen on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 16:18

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, you got your seeds fast, Jen. Glad you got some things you liked.

Thanks so much for the review!

• sdambr
    9 years ago

My seeds arrived! All I can say is wow! Thank you Erica again for hosting, for all your time and effort! To all who sent the bonus seeds, This has been my first year gardening, growing from seed, trading, etc... I am officially an addict. You have made this a really enjoyable experience, and would love to participate again.

THANK YOU ERICA!

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Awesome that some of you are receiving your seeds already!

So glad that you liked what you got, Sdambr! And yeah, I totally get where you're coming from. I've become an addict too, since discovering this site. Lol.

• billingsdj
    9 years ago

I got my seeds today! What a great assortment :) Thanks for hosting!

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good good! I'm thrilled that people are happy with the seeds they are getting!

• cryptid
    9 years ago

O fabulous day! Not only did we receive a package containing a 10-oz jar of special metal polishing compound I ordered online a few days back, but, more importantly,...My wonderful package of seeds arrived today!! :)

WOW!! Such a totally fab assortment! Thanks uber-much to everyone who participated in this super fun swap! It's just such themed GW round robins as this that inspire me to exercise my creative, fun-side, as-often-as-not transcending whatever else that may be not so pleasent going on in our lives.

Erica, thank you so much for hosting this! You've done one heck of an excellent job of it, totally! - Please remind me again of your GW Username so I can leave you a proper glowing review. :)

This post was edited by cryptid on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 22:29

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Darrin,

Glad you got your pack and are happy with it! My username is EricaBraun.

Hope you have a fantabulous 4th of July!

• dem_pa
    9 years ago

I received my seeds yesterday. Thanks to all who shared their seeds with me. Thanks to a great hostess.

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wonderful! Thanks so much for participating, Dem_pa!

• midwestfarmwife
    9 years ago

Yipeeeee! My seeds came today, and what a nice assortment! I had a great time looking through all of them and making plans for next year. Thank you to all who contributed, and a special thank you to Jen for marking several packs for me. Erica, you did a fantastic job of putting the swap together. I hope we can do it again next year.

• cryptid
    9 years ago

"Posted by EricaBraun 9b CA (My Page) on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 22:37

Darrin,

Glad you got your pack and are happy with it! My username is EricaBraun.

Hope you have a fantabulous 4th of July!"

ROTFL!! See, this is what happens, sometimes, if I'm tired and/or distracted when I'm initially composing a thread post using Notepad (like now). :D I mean DUHHH, everyone's highlighted username is always displayed just after where it says "Posted by ...." LOL!!

I mean, Holy carp!

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mary, so glad you got it and liked it!

Darrin, I... uhhh... wasn't going to say anything. I've had my share of blonde moments. =P

This post was edited by EricaBraun on Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 0:31

• cryptid
    9 years ago

LOL!! I definitely appreciate your kind discretion! ;)

Today we attended the 61st annual "National Rooster Crowing Contest" in the city of Rogue River:
    http://rogueriverchamber.com/page37/

Even though my wife's sister's rooster (named "Strawberry") didn't crank out a winning amount of crows, she did win, again (as she has for a number of years now), for best decorated cage (pictured below), netting her a nice trophy and $15.00 cash (rough equivalent, anymore;...a measley 3gal of petrol). - Bottom line: We all had a good time!

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good times! Raising chickens sounds like fun. I've looked into it, but unfortunately this area isn't zoned for it.

If your wife does all that crocheting, she must be a very busy gal.

Glad you guys had a good time!

• skyblue52
    9 years ago

Hello recieved my wonderful envlie of seeds today. Am temped to find places for some now. I'll go out looking tomorrow. Thanks for the fun swap Susan

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Susan, glad to hear it! And thank you so much for participating!

• cryptid
    9 years ago

Actually, the lady pictured in the "Rooster Crow" photo I posted is my SIL, Sharla, not my wife, Elly. But yes, Sharla is constantly crocheting,...mostly projects to be entered into competition at our August county fair. She used to win cash prizes along with her ribbons. Anymore, though, due to professed failing funds, winning competitors receive only ribbons these days. While Elly, obviously, crochets as well, she's nowhere near as prolifically dedicated to the practice as her older sister. Just now, however, Elly is working to complete a poly-chromatic afghan to enter into county fair competition on the occasion of the fair's 100-yr anniversary. While the fair board currently claims it is actually functioning in the black as of late, we'll see what ultimately happens.

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very cool, Darrin. I wish Elly the best of luck with her quilt. I hope it turns out fantastic!

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Happy 4th of July to you all! Hope you have a great one!

• sdambr
    9 years ago

Happy 4th to all. Thank you Erica for making it feel like Christmas in July!

• grdngramma
    9 years ago

got my seeds last week, just getting around to letting you know, thanks very very very very much

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Fantastic!

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years