Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

NEW: Seeds-n-Stitches June Swap

dan_the_mailman
12 years ago

Hello Everyone! We're all in various stages of planting and enjoying our gardens, so I thought we'd make this month an easy one. Instead of swapping blocks or charms, this time we're going to exchange fat quarters of fabric!

What's a fat quarter you ask? I'm glad you asked! If you cut a half-yard length of fabric (18" x 42") into two pieces along the narrow dimension (18") instead of along the 42" length, you end up with two quarter-yard pieces, each 18" x 21". Those are called "fat quarters" to distinguish them from the less useful 9" x 42" quarter yards.

We will all be mailing out (2) fat quarters (18"x21"), and anything but a solid color will do. Yep, that's right, NO SOLID COLORS! After all, we can get those at our own local fabric store, right? The objective for this month is to hopefully receive fabric which you possibly couldn't find locally. Some examples of what to send are florals, novelty prints, batiks, etc. Use your imagination.

You can choose to mail to one, two, or three people.

For each package you send, you will receive a package of two fat quarters.

We'll take sign-ups until June 3rd, I'll announce partners on the 4th, and we should get those packages out by the 10th.

If you would like to include something else with your fabric quarters, you may do so. Examples would include seeds, bobbins, a card, etc. These are optional though.

So, who wants to get some new fat fabric quarters?

-Dan

p.s. If you'd like me to send you a reminder a few days before I choose partners, drop me an e-mail and I'll be glad to do so.

Comments (109)

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

hello
    I like the bottle carrier, it looks like it could be hand stitched too. I make something simalar but it was very wide and I use them as baskets.
    with another group I have hosted a What's Your Bag Swap where you make some kind of small bag/tote/purse and put a gift in it for your partner. this is always a great swap.
    michelle

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Michelle, that sounds like a fun swap! Keep that in mind and think about hosting it here in the S-n-S group!

My beach tote is done. I widened the handles because I don't like thin ones, otherwise I followed the directions (imagine that!) and I'm pretty pleased with the result. Here are a few pics...
    The end result...

A close-up of the stitching around the top...

And finally, here it is with a few things in it...

And just think, if no one had mentioned the water bottle totes, that fabric would still be sitting on the shelf, wondering what to do! I had no idea what I was going to use it for when I bought the fabric, but I like where it wound up!

TTFN
    -Dan

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

filled it already to I see.

• gmom2-6boys
    12 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I like what I see on the water bag and the tote bag. They were going to be one of my ideas when summer gardening season slows down. So they are great with me. I was also thinking of using some of my quilted blocks we have been trading. Also adding insulbright. that is for insulation in the water bottle.
    I have the addys that I need for our trade.
    Have a great Saturday.
    I'm going to be gone to the UP and Wisconsin. Be back on Monday.
    gmom

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

That looks great, Dan! I also like Michelle's idea for a swap. I've participated in her bag swaps before, and they are FUN. I definitely vote Michelle in for hosting August's swap! LoL!! :D

Bev~ I was thinking the same thing about using a quilt block for the fabric on the water bottle tote. It'd lend itself well to a log cabin or braid pattern...and just about any other 12" block that could be trimmed down. Of course, you could also do a 10" block & add a 1" border around the 2 sides to make up the difference. Lots of choices there!
    Another idea is to use a wide ribbon for the handle(s).

I've made envelopes before and they are really simple. That's an idea as well for future swaps....sewing some pretty seed storage envelopes!

I'll do whatever y'all decide you would like for next month. I want it to be fun for everyone! :)

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

but Bunny, you're the host, which means you tell us what we're doing...

don't make me post a clown picture...hehehe!

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

You're so mean, Dan!! :o(
    Ok, Ok....I'll think up something.....

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

not trying to be mean, just giving you a bit of incentive, that's all...lol!

are you sure you don't want me to post a clown picture? I can if you wish! lol!

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Yes, Michelle, my address is still the same, sorry did not post sooner. Yesterday I finished my mom's canning jar applique lap quilt - yeah! :-) Thank you so much for the wood grain fabric for it Dan! I started mom's lap quilt the first week of October, 2010, so am happy to have that project finished, mom is gonna' love it. :-) Now to get busy making a sailboat applique baby quilt for my sister.

I like the idea of making a water bottle tote for one of the swaps, but I think having straps that reach from shoulder to waist would be more practical, I don't think I would get much use out of one with short straps that I have to carry by hand. I usually have other things in my hand to carry garden so having a water bottle tote that I could just sling over my shoulder and go seems more practical, like a 50" long single strap with 1 inch on each end of the strap sewed to the tote part for durability, so that would leave the usuable part of the strap 48" long, just right for most adults to sling over their shoulder and be at waist length. I saw some at Disney World that someone had made like that with fabric that is pre-quilted and has the batting already in it and that seemed practical to help insulate the bottle and keep it cold. I will have to look in town and see if I can even find pre-quilted fabric as I have not shopped for that in a while.

We are having a bad drought where I live and the ac unit is running non-stop today as it is so hot. Hope everyone is staying cool today.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

I have my fat quarters packed up and ready for the post office tomorrow...YAY!

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Sandra, I like the longer strap idea also. Frees up the hands.

Pre-quilted fabric brought back a memory of making quilted sleeping bags for my three daughters' cabbage patch dolls yearssssss ago! They loved them and played with them all the time. Thanks for the memory.

• cindykg23
    12 years ago

I've missed you all lately - been buried in gift quilts! But nearly finished, TG!

I'll have my FQs out in the mail tomorrow. I have address except Bev. Can you throw out an email to me?

HB, really like the bag ideas/patterns. I would use the longer handles also, and the pre-quilted would be a great insulator for the waterbag.
    Dan, nice job! Isn't it funny (ha ha!) how sometimes the perfect pattern comes along to claim what we thought was an orphan piece of fabric?

Hope y'all are staying cool! The person who said spring has nearly become extinct was right --- at least around here! We go from winter temps & flooding rains to scorcher summer days. What happened to weeks of 60s & 70s before the 90s?! -temp & humidity :( ?? I guess weather is something we'll always complain about(at least me!)
    My theory - you stay cooler inside at the sewing machine!!

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

You're welcome Bev. I know what you mean Cindy, we had a short spring and we are already in drought. Other than watering the garden and taking a few photos of flowers, am staying indoors and quilting and crocheting this summer.

Michelle got the beautiful fabric you sent today! Yeah!! I may use some of the beach fabric in my sister's sailboat applique baby quilt that I just got started making. The sailboats have orange in them with blue background so I think your beach fabric would work nicely posssibly in the corners or in the middle section of the 4 inch block border that will surround the 12" sailboat blocks. :-) Thank you bunches for the beach fabric and for the fireworks fabric!! They are awesome! That is just so perfect, I know I can incorporate the beach fabric into my sister's baby quilt. :-) :-)

Best to you and many thanks,
    Sandra

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

I received Bev's fabric today..pretty, pretty, pretty! apricot, white and blue flowers on one piece and pumpkin spice orange with small white flowers on the other. She also sent agastache golden jubilee seeds and a nice note. Well done Miss Beverly, and many thanks! ((HUGS)

I sent my fat quarters out in the mail today. Please let me know when you receive them!

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Sent you my address, Quiltpartner. off topic -- is anyone else having a problem with chiggers this year? We've been in this house for 6 years with massive gardening each year and nary a chigger bite. This year they are eating me alive when I garden. I think it was the super wet spring we had. I look like I have the measels on my legs. Itchy....itchy...itchy!

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Bev I have heard that if you put fingernail polish on the chigger aka red bug bites that it helps smother them. I tried it though and still itched for weeks and left my ankles scarred for a year. I bought a small jar of stuff this summer that is for red bug aka chigger bites, but thankfully have not had to use it yet, so don't know how well it works. And then benedryl has this new clear anti-itch gel which I bought, but again have not had to use it yet. I know your misery. Well off to cut fabric for a baby quilt.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sandra, you're more than welcome for that wood grain fabric! When you said you couldn't get any, well, that gave me a mission...lol! After all, you've got to have shelves to put all those jars on, right? When you posted the quilt it made me proud to know I was able to help!

I was thinking about that water bottle tote we're thinking of, and thought it would be good if we all used the same size bottle to make them. If we all used a 20-ounce soda bottle to fit our tote around, that would give us a standard to work with, don't you think? I'd hate to make a bottle tote and then find out it wasn't big enough to be used by the person I sent it to.
    It sounds like we're all pretty much on the same page as far as making the longer handle, and using material with batting in the middle. Y'know what's funny to think of? Want to make bets on how much of the material we're sending one another this month winds up being used for the water bottle totes? LOL!
    I love this group!
    I could go on, but I've been sweating in the heat all day, so I'm off to go play in the sprinklers!
    Have a pleasant night!
    -Dan

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

I received fabric from Bev today! She sent some pretty blue & blue/pink floral. It's great! I've got a blue quilt square to make this month, and that will work fantastic. Thanks, Bev!! :)

• bev2009
    12 years ago

I'm glad you like it!

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

I mailed my FQ's out today...sorry I was a bit later getting them out. It's been a couple of bad weeks! Hopefully things get better quick!

• nottougly
    12 years ago

Hi,
    I need Cindys snail mail address to mail hers to her. I can't even find her email address. I hope she reads this or I hope someone else can help me out.
    Sharon I am mailing yours tomorrow. I had to wait and get some stamps. The tornadoes took all of my stamps like it took everything else but what was in moms craft shop.
    Somebody please help with Cindys email or snail mail address.
    Thanks,

Oh yea I received my FQ from Michelle I sent her a thank you email and yesterday I received the FQ from Linda.
    I loved the stickers you included with the material. I loved the material also and the marigold seeds. All my life I have collected stamps and stickers and now because of those blasted tornadoes I don't have a single one. Oh well I guess I will start over and Linda sent me my first set of stickers to get started with.
    Thank you very much Linda and Michelle.
    Faye!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Let's post an update on who has sent, shall we? Here we go...
    Sandra/quiltingfox sent to Sharon and Cindy
    Dan/dan_the_mailman sent to Bev, Melissa, and Linda
    Bev/bev2009 sent to Melissa, Linda, and Michelle
    Melissa/hazelnutbunny sent to Linda, Michelle, and Faye
    Linda/lindaruzicka sent to Michelle, Faye, and Sandra
    Michelle/micyrey sent to Faye, Sandra, and Sharon

Faye/nottougly sends to Sharon, Cindy, and Dan
    Sharon/gmom sends to Cindy, Dan, and Bev
    Cindy/quiltpartner sends to Dan, Bev, and Melissa

So, it looks like we're 2/3s there! Faye, Cindy, and Sharon, please post when you've sent to your partners so I can move you to the "sent" list, okay?

Everyone have a great day!
    -Dan

• nottougly
    12 years ago

I sent Dans in the mail on Tuesday and I will send Sharon and Cindy in tomorrows mail.
    Faye!

• gmom2-6boys
    12 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I recieved my FQ from Sandra and they were 2 blues that look very nice. They will be put to good use.
    Also from Michelle. They are just right for this time of year. 1 is a beach print the other is fireworks print. Thank you both. I don't remember what day they came in but I couldn't get on the internet to post. Sorry for the delay.
    Today I went to town and put Cindy, Dan, and Bev's FQ in the mail.
    Have a great evening All.

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

***early morning update***

Sandra/quiltingfox sent to Sharon and Cindy
    Dan/dan_the_mailman sent to Bev, Melissa, and Linda
    Bev/bev2009 sent to Melissa, Linda, and Michelle
    Melissa/hazelnutbunny sent to Linda, Michelle, and Faye
    Linda/lindaruzicka sent to Michelle, Faye, and Sandra
    Michelle/micyrey sent to Faye, Sandra, and Sharon
    Sharon/gmom sent to Cindy, Dan, and Bev

Faye/nottougly sending/sent to Sharon, Cindy, and Dan

Cindy/quiltpartner sending to Dan, Bev, and Melissa

Yoohoo, Cindy, where are you???

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

Faye, I'm glad you liked your material and the stickers! ((HUG))

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

hello
    I did a post but seems to have disapiered.
    I receved from beverly a pritty green with lavender colored flowers and a lavender that goes great with it and impations seeds

and from linda neutral with pink flowers, pink and green striped and sweetwilliam seeds and flower stickers.

thanks great fabrics

michelle

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Here is a pic of the lovely summer print fabric I received from Michelle:
    {{gwi:1272996}}

Here is a pic of the lovely floral prints I received today from Linda:
    {{gwi:1272998}}

She also sent some beautiful flower stickers and some bachelor button seeds.

Thank you both bunches!!! :-)

Yesterday evening late it got cloudy and I could here thunder in the distance, but still no rain. Hoping we get some rain soon, I don't like this drought.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Today I received FQs from Faye and a mystery person. Whoever the 2nd person was didn't use their name/address for a return address, but used mine. Faye sent two great fabrics and a card, which I really needed today. Thanks!

• gmom2-6boys
    12 years ago

Hi Dan, That mystery person is gmom. When a got home last night I found the cards for your packages on the snack bar. I recycled one of your evenlopes so why change your return addy. Boy that was fast work for the Post Office. I just droped it off yesterday. Enjoy the material.
    gmom
    Sharon

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lol, Sharon, I thought it might be you! That little bit of mystery helped brighten my evening, thank you very much!
    I'm still chuckling about it this morning.

Today we are getting some much needed rain, and I'm hoping it'll make the grass seed I spread around the yard sprout and take hold. It'll also give me a good reason to stay inside today and do some sewing. Last month there was a pattern for coneflower wall-hangings in the quilting magazine I receive and I went out and bought the material, but haven't had the chance to sit down and actually make the two I want to make. But first, I'll be getting a visit from my brother-in-law who will be doing some plumbing for me. Last night I came home to another leaking pipe, but fortunately didn't have to tear down a wall this time. The pipe going from the hot water heater to the washing machine had started leaking, and I could've fixed it with plumbers tape, but when I was putting it back together the plastic pipe snapped. Sooo, he's coming over to fix that little problem, and then I'll be able to turn the water back on. Hurray!

• cindykg23
    12 years ago

Highlight of my week was recv'g FQs from Sandra - ooh! so pretty! & a very sweet card. Sandra, you really did make my week:)

Mailed out my FQs today - then off to the garden center to get some ideas (& drool!) Came home w/a beautiful Nishiki Willow. Even got it into the ground before the mosquitoes ate me up! Life is good:)

• nottougly
    12 years ago

Hi,
    I received my FQ's today from hazelnutbunny.
    Thank you very much for them. They are both just lovely.
    Faye!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

And with Cindy's post, it sounds like all the FQs are either in the air, or have landed. This coming week should bring us all a bonanza of new fabric!
    While going through the threads last night I saw that the MNF group needed a host for the July swap, so I volunteered my services. If any of you wish to join me, you are more than welcome to do so!
    It appears that this weekend is going to end better than it started for me. When I came home Friday night I came home to no water because my roomie had turned it off to stop a leak from spraying into the wall between the bathroom and washer/dryer alcove. Immediately I began to get visions of tearing down more walls, but fortunately I was able to trace the leak, and with the assistance of my brother-in-law plumber, it was fixed by noon Saturday. While moving the washer around I think I jarred it or something because now it leaks when I put in a full load of clothes. It does however wash small and medium loads without leaking, so I can live with that for awhile. Looks like I'll be going to work tomorrow to get some rest, lol!
    I did get out of the house for awhile last night and went to the local joann's. I bought thread of different colors, a quilting magazine with a borgello (sp?) quilt in it (I love those!), and of course, fabric!
    I think I'll go outside and get my hands into the dirt here shortly. That always makes me feel better.
    Talk to you all soon!
    -Dan

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Glad you enjoyed what I sent you Cindy. Glad to hear you are doing better Dan. I am making a little progress on a sailboat baby quilt. Not much, just a little LOL. Well off to work that baby quilt. Hope everyone has a great week! :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

Received a package from "THE" mailman today! :D
    Dan sent several seed packs (yay!) and the cutest FQ's in summer stripes & a fun print.
    Thanks so much, Dan! Love them!

• bev2009
    12 years ago

All my fabric has landed. I received two pretty garden prints from Cindy...a pale blue, green and beige print and a lively pink and green leaves on a cream background.

From Dan a grey/black toile print and a bright summer stripe with several packages of seeds! (I'm still trying to get my WS plants in the ground. LOL)

From Sharon two coordinating prints with leaves. I love the one with the little blue birds on it!

Thanks everyone, if it wasn't summer I would be busy sewing with these fabrics. Have to wait until fall though.

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Today I received a package from Cindy containing two great fabrics! One is yellow with little branches of berries on it, and the other is a great floral print. They will definitely come in handy! Thank You Cindy!

I'd post an update on where we are in the scheme of things, but I'm going to wait until I can focus a little more on it. Right now I'm feeling a little scatter-brained, ever get like that?
    If you haven't received all of your packages yet, can you give me a shout out here? That'd help tremendously!

Y'all have a good night!
    -Dan

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

I haven't received from Cindy yet, but they're on the way..so I'm not worried! :D

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just thought I'd share something with you all. I've pretty much stayed away from doing any applique until we got into it with this group, and now I'm thinking of adding it to my quilting repertoire. At Joann's I can get a machine which will do the cutting for me (huge time saver!) but before I take that plunge, I want to do it more. (I hate having things in the house I don't use, don't you?) So, I hit ebay the other night, looking for some inexpensive applique shapes. And guess what? I just won these...

Ain't it cool?
    I've now got enough blocks from our group to make a king-sized, reversible quilt, and I think those butterflies will be just the thing to scatter on top of it, don't you?

TTFN

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Those are beautiful. I must admit, I am not up on the more modern way of doing things. I've been away from sewing for years. What kind of a machine cuts your appliques out for you?

• gmom2-6boys
    12 years ago

Goodevening All,
    Just brought myself up to date on the postings.
    Dan, have you had a hard or is your sugar acting up again?
    I have also recieved all my FG's. It's been a great trade.

Faye, I recieved my FG's today. Thank You so much. They are already in my room and put into the box for the next project. So...I can't discribe what they look like, but they are cool. THANKS again.

Bev, Have you decided on the water bottle tote?
    The machine that cuts Applique pieces is called AccuQuilt Fabric-Cutting Machine. When I was a Libraian we had a like machine for cutting paper For projects. I have never used one for material.

Thanks to all for making this a great trading stop. It's the only one that I do other than seeds in the fall.

Nite All!
    gmom

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sharon, my sugar levels are okay, it's just been a long day with a lot on my mind, y'know? thanks for asking though!

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Dan I love the butterflies! Updated my seed tradelist this week on GW and have been doing a little trading; it's great to be trading again. Well off to work on a baby quilt; still lots to do on it.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• bev2009
    12 years ago

I'm looking forward to do the water bottle carrier - it is something I could definitely use on garden tours!

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

I just got back from vacation and now I"m playing catchup! Dan sent me s bright striped material and and an awesome piece that has an English country side on it. He also sent blanket flower, nasturtium and money plant seeds. Thank you Dan!

Melissa sent some yellow material with bright polka dots and green material with lacy flowers..very pretty! Thank you Melissa!

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

I received fabric from Cindy today! She sent some pretty florals, love them! They both have pink in them..my favorite color! :)
    Thank you, Cindy!

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

The JULY swap is up! Yay, Me!! :D

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello! Is there anyone who still hasn't received all of their fabric quarters? If so, speak up and let me know, will you? Thanks!
    -Dan

• cindykg23
    12 years ago

Rec'd a lovely FQ of a very neat floral in my fav colors from Sharon today & a half yd!! of a t/t green leaves. Beautiful! Felt like I'd hit the jackpot! :) THANK YOU SHARON! Love them!