Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mareas_gw

UPDATE: 11.500 Traveling Daylilies Posts

mareas
14 years ago

We are currently sending boxes for the May Hopefully Off Wish List Swap.

I'm currently totally enraptured by the hostas in their Spring Flush!!

Unfortunately, many of them need to be repotted or divided.
Anybody want to join me in a June Hosta & Shade Plant Swap??

~ Marea

Comments (116)

• drgulley
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hope everyone is enjoying the hosta swap. Would love to see some pictures of some of the hostas that are being sent.

Marea, I am glad the birds are enjoying the feeder and the cats aren't scaring them too much. I guess I didn't even think about that when I sent it. LOL...

Melinda and Miriam my thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope your health is restored very soon.

I hope everyone is enjoying beautiful daylily blooms and other blooms too! It is already in the 90's here. Where did spring go?

Dianne

• juspeachy
    14 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Jean,
    I am so glad you liked your box of goodies.(smiles)
    I am eagerly waiting for mine, I am so excited to be trading once again.

Sharon,
    Still got a couple more things to buy to make his play set, but got almost everything, should be able to start on it by next weekend. Have to nickle and dime eveything, lol
    We have his pool set up, and the rain put a couple inches of water in it, every time we turn our backs he is in it splashing, and using the little built in slide. Last year we bought 3 inflatable pools, and they all went flat, couldnt figure out what we were doing wrong. Then, one morning, we were out in the gardens, saw the cat standing on the edge drinking, she was puncturing it with her claws. rofl
    So, this year, we bought one of the hard plastic ones, and he just adores the slide in it, so glad we did. =)

Joy,
    Awesome box of goodies you got there. Debbie sure knows how to pack one doesnt she?

Miriam,
    I am so glad you feel some better. Every little bit counts when you're not feeling well. Will continue to keep you in my prayers. *hugs*

We planted Alex garden with him yesterday afternoon, he really loved the dirt part, digging the hole, and pressing the soil around the roots. he planted the sunflower and hyacinth bean seeds, the zinnias were a bit more of a challange, but he managed to get most in the little trench.
    I wrote the plant names on little stakes I had gotten from JoAnn Fabrics, have little turtles, ducks, and frogs on the tops. Over all he had a good time planting it.

Debbie,
    I am waiting for my order to come in before I start on your box for the hosta/shade swap. I ordered a couple things that i will be able to share.

Hope everyones day is fantastic, and filled with sunshine and laughter.

hugs to all,
    Jo

• mareas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jo, hope your day was filled with sunshine & laughter too! Wheres the photos of Alex in his pool & garden?? I'm waiting on payments to be able to send your shade goodies, will email you the Del. Conf# when I do, hopefully Sat or Mon...

Joy, you sure DID score with that great Debbie box! Thanks for catching us up. I will happily wait until you have time for my shade goodies *grin*

I believe that Debbie's is the last box we were waiting on for the Wish List swap ~ if anybody else did not get theirs, let me know.

Yes, my shrubs ARE non-fragrant Mock Orange/English Dogwood - thanks!

Dianne has posted photos of loads of her daylilies blooming already this year in the Daylily Forum, ya'll should go see - she has BEAUTIES!!
    My gorgeous Purple Mound started blooming yesterday in the pouring rain along with Penny's Worth & Awesome Blossom got her act together & is blooming beautifully - I won't give on it after all - so the season starts!!

The last of my iris are still in bloom, thank gawd the days are starting or I would be devastated about the end of their glorious season!
    Annie's Annual Iris swap is still open, if you want to get some gorgeous new iris , come sign up with us - we send in July!

Prayers for you all, especially Miriam, and Sharon during this GM disaster, ~m'

• dirtpig
    14 years ago

Jo your very slow trade partner is here to say.THE BOX IS IN THE MAIL.So sorry for being so pokie.
    OH Oh,number is
    0309 0330 0001 4460 7246
    Jo sent me a lovely box of plants:
    A dwarf yellow iris
    Pulmonaria Mrs Moon..Love these things..and lost this one.
    So now have a new one:)
    Brunnera Macrophylla and Jack Frost.I'm telling you these things HATE ME!!LOL..or it could be the maple roots that I've been trying to grow them in.Putting both somewhere out of the roots this time:)
    Lysimachia Firecracker
    A lily..didn't say what color,so suprise for next year.
    Cowslip
    Bouncing Bet
    Daylily Big Smile :) and I did..hehe
    and bag of chocolates
    Hugs Jo and thank you so much!

Sounds like everyone is getting wonderfull boxs.Makes for
    great gardening.

Shirley your box went out today as well :)
    Number is 0309 0330 0001 4460 7253

Got to run off to work.Will get back later to read all of the post.Just skimmed thought them..hehe

Hugs Jean

• cannahavana
    14 years ago

Hello HemHeads and HostaHolics!

I received my beautiful bouquet today! You all are the best! It was such a pick me up and moved me to tears... I apologize for not participating for so long. I have felt like such a hermit these past couple of years and not being very social like I used to. I have so many things in my home and gardens that remind me of my sisters and brothers here!

I think I am up to about 50 hostas now and wished I had gotten in on the swap. I have collected quite a few Irises too and they were just gorgeous this year.

I am finally getting back outside this spring and trying to reclaim my tropical gardens that have gone to waste land the past few years. We still have tons of daylilies! Doug has been on a buying rampage the past few years and we have some really spectacular cultivars to hybridize with. Our business, Southern Skies Gardens, is slowly progressing into a profitable business. We just finished up planting approximately 2000 seedlings last week from our hybridizing efforts last year. Maybe in a few years, we will actually introduce. We started selling on the Lily Auction too under the name, SouthernSkies.

I am still plugging away at Real Estate and I am starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel here locally. It has been tough going, but I have used the down time to take classes and keep up to date with the market changes. I am prepared for when it does turn around! I recently helped a couple find a home to retire to here in East. TN. They are coming from Florida. It was such a blessing to be apart of something that is so important to them.

My kidos are out of school for the summer. They are growing up waaaaay too fast. Dakota is the same height as me and thinks he can wrestle me now, but I still have weight on my side :). Maleah, my little princess, is my constant companion and gets prettier every day!

I had a cancer scare back in March that turned my world upside down. My GYN found a lesion on my cervix, biopsied and found it to be precancerous. We caught it in time and won't know if my treatment worked until August. Please keep me in your prayers.

I promise to stop by so you don't think I've kicked the bucket! I am always here in spirit!

Canna

• pchanggeo
    14 years ago

OMG! We haven't seen that little girl in a long time... although I guess she's not that little anymore. Great to see you posting Canna. Hope you had a good birthday last month. Nice to hear your business growing, but sorry to hear about your health... hope the treatment did it's thing.

Good to see everyone getting fantastic swap boxes.

More later... Paul

• jaceysgranny
    14 years ago

Everyone is getting such great boxes! I know you're all doing the happy dance now.
    Jo, it's nice to see you back. I see you're just as busy as ever, probably more with that grand-baby.
    Miriam, I know you are enjoying the gardens. I'm like you even pulling weeds can be fun when you haven't been able to do it in a long time. Hope you feel better each day.
    Canna, Maleah is just as pretty as ever and getting so grown-up. That's a beautiful picture.
    I've had cervical cancer. I really hope yours are all gone now. Mine was just beginning and they managed to get it early so no treatments were needed. Hopefully yours will be easily removed and you'll be fine. I'll pray that that is the case.
    Nancy

• veeja11
    14 years ago

Wow !!! what a beautiful red head. so nice to see you posting Canna, start saving sticks, in a few years you will need them to chase her suitors. you are in my prayers and Miriam, I ask God to take care of you daily. I was at a sale recently and found a real cute item for Dawn, so I need to get her name in a swap soon, or may just send it to her cause I love her, I don't like mailing fragile items tho, just don't trust the po. big hugs to all my treasured friends. hugs carol

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

Hello all! Wow, Canna your dgt. is a beauty! Don't know you well, but good to see you posting!
    Just wanted to let Debbie know that I haven't gotten her wish list swap box out yet! So sorry! Was kinda waiting to here from you but haven't. I have several things in mind so far though. But have to go to Fayetteville to see a surgeon tomorrow. I have bloodclots again and not happy about it! But 3 times in less than 6 months is too many!
    I definitely haven't forgotten about you! Not at all!
    I hope they don't schedule surgery for another week or so and then I will try and get it out this next week. If not, I will have my dgt. help me. I just got another box out that was late from last week with her help.
    Continuing to keep everyone in my thoughts and prayers who need it-don't we all?
    Shirley, if you haven't mailed my wish list swap box yet, you can mail whenever. My daughter is going to plant if I can't get to it when it comes. She came this afternoon and planted several things for me! Or you can wait until later if you choose. No hurry just whenever you find time. I know this is a busy time for everyone!
    I'll be back when I can be up for longer! Kinda been up more than suppose to trying to tie up loose ends with other things on here!
    Hugs to All, Melinda

• budsnblooms
    14 years ago

Rebecca...It was so wonderful to hear from you. I have missed you so much you wouldn't believe. Maleah is such a beautiful little girl and I missed seeing her red curls too. I'm glad to hear that Dakota is well and growing and that your business is doing so well. Since I last heard from you I have become a grandmother of a baby boy. Gunner is now 9 mos. old and is the center of our world. Our granddaughter is now 10 years old and is playing softball. I'll tell you more about my family later, everyone else has already heard all of this.

Melinda...I saw the pictures of you and your son and daughter and grandson Austin. You are a beautiful lady and just as I knew you would be, smiling and happy with what you have been given. The boys (any you) have made memories that will stay with them forever. My happiest memories as a child were of ones when the family went fishing for the weekend or swimming in a creek or swimming hole in the country. Please don't worry about sending anything for the swap any time soon, I am looking at your have list and there is so much that I would like to have, I am looking it up to see if it is hardy in my zone. Plus I am going on a family vacation from June 13-20th...So would rather not receive anything during that time.

Ellen...I will try to get your shade plants out in the next week, but if not, I will get them out shortly after my return from the beach. I'll try to get an e-mail to you this week to find out what you already have and what you would most like to have.

Jo...if you don't mind...please wait until after the 20th to send my shade plants. I want to let you know also how happy I am that you are back with us again.

Shirley...I think of you several times each day when I see all the Iris I have received from you. In case you don't already know it, you are a very special person.

Miriam...I am so happy to hear that you have been able to enjoy your garden again. Please let us know when you are ready to receive more plants sent to you from the group that loves and prays for you.

Joy...I am glad you liked your box...I have so many more things from your want list, and you have many that I want too...lets plan a trade for July.

Marea, Paul, Jean, Dianne, and everyone else, hugs to you my TD friends.

My daughter had an appt. for a lumbar puncture, after 3 tries they were unable to get spinal fluid. Two days later they retired the puncuture using fluroscope...they finally got the spinal fluid. For a week she had a terrible headache that make a migraine look like a picnic and vomiting several times a day. This was all to again confirm that her diagnosis was correct. She does have MS. They told her they would begin to treat her whenever she was ready. But she isn't ready because she want's to have a baby before she has to begin the steroids and all the other meds that she will have to take for the rest of her life. Please pray for her.

Debbie

• veeja11
    14 years ago

Miriam and Melinda special prayers and hugs for you. did any of you get peonies from a coop on dave's a couple of years ago ? I have waited two years for my pink and yellow and yellow one to bloom, it just did finally a lovely hot pink bloom. so having a marker does not mean it is marked boy am I dissapointed, not sure if it was jody's coop or tthe one who had continuing coops on yahoo. my iris are blooming like mad not quite enough to trade but probably next year. I am posting pics on the pic thread, any help with names would be appreciated it is in 90's here. too hot I want my rain back, this is seattle after all. happy summer, hugs carol

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

Good morning everyone! I hope all are going to have a wonderful weekend! I had to go to the restroom, so will sneak a few minutes on here!
    Went to surgeon yesterday. Going to do surgery on the 19th of this month! Wants to let these clots get completely dissolved and then a week before do a bunch of other tests. Something about some type of blood dyscrasia.
    So that will work out for you Debbie! I should be able to dig plants when you get back from vacation! I hope you have a wonderful one! My thoughts and prayers are still with you and your family! I can't even imagine the kind of headaches that gives. Only heard about them! So sad!!
    All your iris pics are gorgeous! As are everyone's!
    Shirley, you can do package whenever-after or before! Just when you want! I'm not going anywhere!
    Carol, so sorry about the bloom not being what you wanted! I did a coop last year for some things and they didn't all come out to be the ones I paid for! so you never know!
    Have a great weekend everyone! Back to bed for me! Ugh!!
    Hugs to all, Melinda

• juspeachy
    14 years ago

Hello everyone,

It is such a gorgeous day here, makes you glad to be alive.

Got the raised bed done, filled and planted with our sweet potatos.
    Planted the last of my pansies and petunias. Got morning glory seeds soaking, gonna plant them in large pots and put at the base of our metal gazebo, and let them climb on it.

I have 4 pairs of the cutest birds at my feeders, i searched the web, and looked them up in a large bird book. They are cassiens finch. i couldnt believe it, so researched it more. But, they are definetly cassiens. Their range is west of the rockies, so dont know what they are doing here, but they are so pretty, I dont mind a bit.
    Hehe I am going to try and get some close up pics, not sure they will let me tho.

Jean,
    I got the box of goodies. Thank you so much, love it all.
    She sent me...
    2 dalilies..siloam baby doll, and siloam baby talk
    filipendula hexapatala
    lily..deep impact
    hosta color glory (whoo hoo)
    hosta stiletto
    miniature blue crested iris
    a small angel window screen saver..too cute
    and a large yummy chocolate bar..which Alex is helping me polish off (he comes to me and says "chocat peese") How can you say no when they say it like that lol

Debbie,
    No problem, i can send after the 20th, my order isnt here yet so it works for me, =)
    Hope you have a blast on your trip.
    Be safe.

Melinda,
    I will keep you in my prayers. Take care. *hugs*

Miriam,
    I will keep you in my prayers as well. *hugs*

Marea,
    No hurry, I am waiting on my order of things so i can share with Debbie. Wont dig anything till they come, so its all good. lol I will eventually get the chance to post some pics, (I think)

Rebecca,
    I am so glad things are going so well for your business.
    Several years ago, I had the same thing happen, this past year, when i had my test, it was completely clear, they never did any treatments of any kind. So, I just know you will be fine =) *hugs and smiles*
    Maleah is just gorgeous, she must get it from her mom.

It is great to see so many posting again. I have missed you all. Now we just need to hear from Dawn...ohhhhhhh Daaawwwwwnnnnn!!!!!!!

Nancy,
    yes, still running bout with my head under my arm. lol But, love every minute of it. Yes, pulling weeds can really be the best thing in the world. people who ask me why i love to garden so much and have so many plants...I just tell them, instead of paying a shrink $300 an hour, I just go out and pull weeds, listen to the birds,the sound of trickling water from all our watergardens, and the happy laughter of our grandson. The stress just melts away.
    You cant ask for anything better than that.

Carol,
    Awwwww, I am so sorry that happened. I know how you feel, it is a big disappointment.

Has anyone ever had their old peony varieties seed themselves? I have 6 little babies coming up in various places in my gardens, just about 4 inches tall. have no idea what color they will be, i have several diff colors.

I sure hope i didnt miss anyone, if i did, I am sorry..warm hugs to you.

Have a fantastic weekend everyone,
    hugs to all,
    Jo

• toomanyanimals
    14 years ago

Jo,
    I don't have any Peony's, but either the birds dropped peony seeds in my garden or someone sent some to me misnamed several years ago. I let them bloom then gave them away, they both turned out to be a small cream flower. Someone from work took them. She told me the other day that she is only getting 2 or 3 flowers each year; she will give them one more year and then toss them.So I guess it is a crapshoot as to what the seeds will look like. Nice box from Jean by the way.

Debbie or ANYONE, do you know about Peonies? The peony root Debbie sent me has roots and has a green sprout about an inch long. I had planted the root about 4 inches deep in the soil, but the sprout is not growing in height at all. It is all still under the soil and it has been 2 weeks. I decided to lift the root and have the sprout stick out of the soil ... is this right?????

Carol, sorry to hear about your misnamed peonies, frustrating I know. What .... it isn't raining in SEattle, must be Global warming....

tma

• mareas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sharon, first, CONGRATULATIONS on your tall, dark & handsome son's graduation!! Time sure flies...
    Was so fun to see the 4 of you grinning!!
    Yes, your peony was planted TOO DEEP to flower. Plant 1 to 2 inches below the soil.
    I planted my 1st one 4 inches, as well, must have read that wrong info online some where & it would not bloom until I gave it away & she planted it just an inch under, then voila ~ LOADS of flowers... The one I got from Debbie last Fall gave me that perfect flower this Spring planted 1 & 1/2" under..

I've emailed Canna to say she's quite welcome for the bouquet of flowers that we sent her & invite her to jump into the Hosta/Shade Swap...

Jo, I STILL haven't gotten my 2 eBay pymts. Murphy's Law, if you need the $ they won't get around to paying on time. Will email you when I get your box in the mail.

Debbie, my heart is heavy for you & your daughter. My prayers are with you & yours.
    I have a bunch of plants all lined up in a row to send you, too, when my ship comes in so you can lose yourself in the garden for an afternoon.
    ~m'

• toomanyanimals
    14 years ago

Hi Everyone, I'm looking for ideas. Next summer I would like to edge one or 2 of my gardens with shorter perenneals. I've been using white alyssum for years now, but would like to switch to perenneals. It doesnt have to be a white flower. Just looking for a height of 10 inches or less, at least a month blooming time and not invasive.

• jaceysgranny
    14 years ago

Debbie, my sincere prayers for your daughter. I'm so sorry that her diagnosis was confirmed.
    Melinda, prayers for you to that your surgery will be the end of your blood clots forever.
    Sharon, congrats on your son's graduation. The picture is great. Where did that tall son come from? lol Your daughter is pretty.
    Jo, the water features sound wonderful. We have too many mosquitoes to encourage more but I'd love to have a pond with a waterfall.
    My cannas have leaf rollers. I've never had them before and they look awful. We've been outside planting some new herbs I got the other day. Did I tell ya'll that my chives were topsetting? If so, my bad, they are the allium hair that I planted years ago and they are so weird looking but I like them. I'm putting my new lilies in pots for this year. Maybe next year we'll feel more like stooping and bending to put them in the ground. Besides I need to make a new lasagna bed for them first.

Happy gardening friends,
    Nancy

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone so much for their prayers and kindness! I will be glad when it is all over! I always get scared when get put to sleep, but know that I'll be ok! And if the bloodclots will stop that will be worth it!
    Sharon-have you thought about dianthus? Their are so many varieties that are perennial and even very easy to grow from seed. I use them often to put at the edge of things. Rock cress is also good. Depends on where you want it.
    Debbie-I got your email. I will mail when you get back from vacation! Hope that is ok. Enjoy yourselves and try to relax from all the stress you have! Continuing to keep you and yours in my prayers also! Along with everyone else here!
    Have a great day all! Melinda

• brittneysgran
    14 years ago

Jean-I received my fabulous box....Woo Hoo Lady you did great. DH helped me plant them and I will take some pictures soon.

Jean sent:
    Hosta:
    Stiletto
    Whitewall Tires
    El Nino

Daylily:
    Siloam Baby Talk

Filipendula Hexapetala-Will have to google and check this out. I love plants I don't have.

Lily-Candy Club

Whirly Gig on a stick....love it and the colors

Bird on a metal rod...I have went wild about birds and have them on my porch. This one is so cute.

Jean thank you so very much. I hope you met the secret criteria and win a surprise for my awesome box.

I hope to mail my May box to Melinda and also my June box to Joy this week. Will let you ladies know when.

Debbie-So sorry for your Daughters diagnosis. Hoping and praying just the best for her. With you as a Mom she will be well tended to. Hope to see pictures of her little one next year. HUGS.................

Melinda-I will let you know when your box is shipped so you can have your Daughter watching for it. Take care of your self.

Hope to post more next time. SOOOOOOOOO Tired

Shirley

• juspeachy
    14 years ago

Hello everyone!!!!!!!!!

Happy Sunday morning!!!!!

MAREA...
    Oh my goodness sister Marea, I got my hosta swap box!!!!!!
    I LOVE everything. Thank you so very very much.
    She sent me..

Hosta....
    Bridegroom,
    Cherub,
    Dream Weaver,
    Pauls Glory,
    and.....Guardian Angel!!

Saxifraga London pride...so pretty

Daylily..
    Braided edgeings
    Lee Pickles

I had tears when i saw that lee pickles tag, i have wanted it for a long time for my family garden. My Dads name was Lee, and my F.i.l. was nicknamed pickles. So, it is doubly important to me. That daylily and the guardian angel hosta are both in my family garden. We planted yesterday between rain storms.
    Thank you again Marea, You really made my whole month, maybe my whole year...*warm hugs for my wonderful daylily sis*

Sharon,
    On peonies, The eye cant be planted any deeper than 2" or all you will get is foliage, very few(if any) blooms. Also, the very best plant/transplant time for them is September. you can do them at other times, but they do best if done in Sept.
    On the short perennials, I too, have dianthus, in several colors(they also drape nicely over walls), but my favorite is my pink creeping babies breath. It also hangs over my wall.
    And big congratulations on your sons graduation. =)

Nancy,
    even if they are in pots you can still get into the dirt, and they will still be gorgeous. (smiles)
    As to the watergardens, No mosquitos here. I keep the little pumps going in my tub and natural gardens, skeeters dont like that, also, there are little donut like things called "dunks" that keep them from living in your ponds, so far I havent had to use them.I have a lot of fish in my big watergarden, and lots of dragonflies, they feed on the skeeters and larva. I also encourage bats, they can eat as many as 500 mosquitos a night.

Debbie,
    You and yours are in my prayers. This vacation will really help you destress. That is especially important for your dd. But, you need to as well. *hugs and prayers*
    I am getting the list together for our swap as well as the hosta swap, gonna send you a big box of goodies.

Melinda,
    More prayers for you as well. =) *hugs*

Shirley,
    Awesome box from Jean. Happy planting =)

We have made a good start on our gs sensory garden. I have an old door, it is smooth, so gonna hang a windchime in the area where the glass was, gonna paint it a soft color, and then paint the whole bottom half with chalkboard paint, and then secure it in the ground in his garden. He has tons of sidewalk chalk, but no sidewalk lol, so this will work well for him.
    Still working on his playset too, it is coming along slowly, but at least we are getting there.

Hope your weekend is wonderful everyone,
    Hugs to all,
    Jo

• mareas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, happy dancing here in Oregon! So glad you got your box on Friday & you got to plant goodies in your family garden! My pleasure, Jo ^~^

Debbie, I owe you, that's why.

I'm taking photos every day of the daylilies & lilies as they bloom here, my albums on photobucket are under "mareas" if you want to see.

My deer herd eats ONLY my roses and plum trees & grape vines. Thank goodness they don't like daylilies, figs, raspberries, iris, lilies or hosta (after that first big bite). I found the allium family incl. chives,onions, valerian & oregano are natural deer barriers & protect the plants i encircle with them. Leave a fawn size hole in the stinky protector circle, though, & wham! the roses are back to sheared sticks...

• mareas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hallson's Gardens is selling their remaining lily bulbs CHEAP right now - that gorgeous red & orange Matrix
    I showed you is just $1 a bulb, Shocking is $2.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hallson's specials

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

Good morning everyone! Hope all are enjoying the beautiful days, each one more special and each one with another new bloom of some kind! I am loving it!
    I do hope Debbie is enjoying her vacation! I am sure she is!
    Thanks for the link Mareas! I would love some of those! Might order a couple today as should be able to plant in by the time I receive.
    Continuing to keep everyone in my thoughts and prayers!
    Please continue to do so for me. I have my surgery tomorrow am and then hope to be up and about soon!
    I'll check back when I am able!
    Have a wonderful week everyone!
    Hugs, Melinda

• pnwjoy54
    14 years ago

Hello everyone. Just a quick note to tell Shirley I finally got your wish list box sent out yesterday. I sure had a fun time packing it. I'd imagine you'll be receiving it tomorrow.
    Marea, I'll be sending out your June shade plant box next week.
    Hope everyone is having a great growing season so far. I have more and more beauties opening everyday here. I so love this time of the year.

Melinda, I will be thinking of you and praying for a smooth operation and speedy recovery.

Got to get out and do some more watering.

Hugs
    Joy

• budsnblooms
    14 years ago

I just got back from vacation tonight...I'll catch you up on what a great time we had and how much I love the Gulf Shores area of Alabama later.

Melinda, I am saying prayers for a speedy recovery.

Ellen, I should be able to get your Shade box out this week.

I have a lot of reading and catching up to do. Hugs to all.
    Debbie

• mareas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Welcome back Debbie! I look forward to hearing about your trip ~ so exotic!
    And welcome back, Melinda, too! Hoping your recovery is a breeze.

Hope everybody had a wonderful & sunny First Day of Summer!

As y'all must have guessed, it is full Daylily bloom season here & about all I'm getting done is watering, pollen dabbing & flower photos... The asiatic & oriental lilies are blooming, too, along with some roses finally, safe behind their onion screens, as well as vivid spires of my beloved rocket larkspur ~ it's a rainbow of color here thanks to all of you.

The June Shade swap special prize winners will be announced next Friday.

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

Good morning all! Well, I didn't do my surgery! I was all ready and in the holding room and the surgeon came in. Wouldn't do because my potassium was too low and my white blood count up! Rescheduled for the 1st of July. Came home on new meds and hopefully we can get this done and over. But off of bedrest (yeah!) and if I can get enough energy will be able to work outside some!
    So glad you had a great time Debbie! Can't wait to see some pics!
    Mareas-I know what you mean! Everyday here is a new world of color and beauty! Taking more pics. Will try and post some later.
    Hope all your father's and dad's had a great day yesterday!
    Hugs to all, Melinda

• toomanyanimals
    14 years ago

Hugs back at you Melinda. Glad to hear that you are off of bedrest.

Debbie, glad to have you back. Just the name 'Gulf Shores' sounds interesting. Can't wait to hear your stories about your trip and pictures too. :o)

Marea, be sure to send me some seeds from your rocket Larkspur! Be sure to post pics of your larkspur! I tried growing some last year, but when I tranplanted them they were very unhappy and then I think I flooded them ... they got 6 inches high and died.

Now I have to remember to bug Marea about the Larkspur seeds and Jo about the Fragolino petunia seeds.

Marea, I'm so jealous you have daylilies blooming. And you are 'dabbing' already!!!!! I'm happy to say that I have lots of buds on my 3 year old seedlings ... about time! It's always so exciting to see the seedling flowers, there is no way I can go even a year without planting at least a couple seeds from a cross. It was kind of easy last year to choose a cross ... I wanted a 'blue' cross. This year will be harder since I've told myself no more than 5 seeds. I planted only 3 seedlings from last year.

I'm not going to make many extra seeds this year, I'm sure you are all Daylily seeded out. But I will offer this, If any of you would like to contact me and ask me to make a cross of certain parents I have, I will be happy to do that for you.

I usually see my hummingbird twice a summer and have already seen him 3 times ... I must be doing something right this year. I know, he must be someone else's hummingbird ... sigh.

Jo and Marea, thanks for the peony advice, I've replanted it and am hoping for the best.

Can't wait to hear who the 'secret criteria' winners are. lol

tma

• livelyhope
    14 years ago

Hi garden sisters and brother. Thanks for your prayers, thank you Marea(I felt your prayer)and Carol I also remember you all in prayer. I won't forget your daughter Deb. And you Melinda.

I have been ill for about 10 days - worst case of bronchitis. Went for xrays. changed my meds and upped the predizone again.

But before this happened, I planted the crosses from Sharon's contest; and about 20 of my own crosses. They are all in their cribs in their nursery -growing like weeds.

Thanks again for the prayers - they give hope and dispel fears.

Miriam

• pnwjoy54
    14 years ago

Melinda, I'm so happy to hear you are off bedrest. That would be so hard especially at this time of the year.

Miriam, So sorry to hear you've been so sick. Hope you are feeling better now.

Marea, Your box of shade plants are going out this afternoon. It's sitting in my mailbox waiting for the carrier to pick it up as I type. I had a blast picking things out for you. The secret boxes are so much fun.

It's warmed up today after a few days of chilly weather. I was surprised to see how many of my daylilies opened really well in cooler weather. Will have to post some pics and show you what I mean.

Can't wait to see who the special prize winners will be.
    Hope everyone's summer is starting out great.
    Hugs to you all.
    Joy

• veeja11
    14 years ago

{{gwi:1273460}} big hugs carol

• mareas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hugs back, Carol ~ very cute, thanks!

Joy, my FAMTASTIC box arrived today & all those plants are still in show condition. I/m wildly happy with all these great plants! Blue hostas, heucheras, the gorgeous instant saxifraga collection & that heavenly purple variegated columbine! Wheaton Blue & Blue Angel were indeed on my wishlist, as was everything. Awesome plants, I thank you!
    Marea

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

Good morning all! Hugs to you also Carol and to everyone else! The kittens are so cute!
    Finally able to do a few things this week, but so very hot! But trying to get a few more things done before my surgery on the 1st! Still very tired and weak feeling, guess due to the infection and low potassium.
    Debbie-are you ready for your wish list box? I will hopefully send Monday. Definitely no later than Tuesday as I want to do it before I have my surgery. I hope all will make it ok with this heat. Won't dig until I send.
    Everyone is getting some really nice boxes. I hope to join the hosta swap next year. Something ate a bunch of mine, but still have alot that are growing nicely.
    Hope that everyone has a wonderful weekend!
    Hugs to all, Melinda

• brittneysgran
    14 years ago

Melinda-Your wish list box is going out today (finally) wow what a busy season for me. Hope to catch up on the posts soon.

Joy-I will let you know when your hosta/shade swap box is mailed.

Shirley

• budsnblooms
    14 years ago

Another problem has came up. I think lightnting has hit my computer and I have lost everything. I am trying to get everything going again but it's slow.

Ellen I almost have your shade plants ready to send...I will try to get them out tomorrow or Monday.

Melinda you can send the wish list box whenever you feel up to it. I am in no hurry though, so work at your own pace and don't over do.

Marea you are such a sweet and thoughtful person...you don't owe me anything.

Sharon I would love any daylily crosses you make. Please choose two of your largest spiders to cross and send me the seeds.

Shirley I hope you get to join us full time soon. It sounds like you have been very busy. Hope you can slow down and enjoy life soon.

Miriam and Melinda...gentle hugs.
    Debbie

• mareas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gosh Debbie, it's always one thing or another, huh? So sorry about your computer! Let me know if I can help in any way...

Announcing (better late than never) the prize winners for the Shade Swap ~

Dirtpig Jean wins First Prize for being the fastest sender AND the Second Prize for being the sender who sent an Angel (the secret criteria). You won the hostas Lakeside Cindy Cee & Katie Q and Marea's Angel daylily.

Shirley wins the Third prize for being the recipient who posted most quickly to let us know what she received. You won a secret surprise!

Hope all of you have a great week, Marea

• dirtpig
    14 years ago

Way to cool!!!
    Hostas and a daylily.SWEET!
    Thank you so much:)

Happy Gardening all
    Jean

• toomanyanimals
    14 years ago

Debbie, so sorry to hear of your computer problems. I only have a couple of spider daylilies, but will gladly make a few crosses for you. :o)

Marea, you and Debbie (previous swap)
    are such sweethearts for giving away prizes ... and such nice ones at that!

Hubbie and I are at the cottage ... kids will come up in a few days. I'm going to tell my boss when I get back to work that I need some summer days off ... its Fall up here! In the 50's .... I know Jean is used to that, but not me! hehe So I'm baking brownies, and hubbie and I are deep into the latest project updating the cottage. I guess we are going to get more done this time than we had thought.
    I did manage to jump in the lake twice when it hit the 60's.

We are having my son's graduation party on the 4th, just like we did for my daughter. Just a few family members, but its fun.

Shirley, my son is going into the Marines. He will go to bootcamp at the end of August. If all goes well he is hoping to be Military Police. They have to sign up for an 8 year commitment now, 4 years active, 4 years Nat. Guard.

Kids tell me that my daylilies have just started blooming at home ...

Oh, and my tiny garden here looks Fabulous!!!!!!!! I have to take a picture and post it ... I'm so happy with it. Hubby asked if I could make my gardens at home look this nice. lol

Off to paint a ceiling and trim.

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

Hello everyone! Do hope all is well with everyone and that you are all enjoying the beautiful blooms! I am sure loving everyone's pics on the picture thread! Beautiful blooms everyone!
    Sharon, I too would LOVE any of the crosses that you might make this year! I too love the spiders and very crinkly edges! Doesn't have to be but a few.
    Debbie, I will be getting your box out in a few weeks! I am sorry but so tired this week and did a little in yard, but mostly just trying to feel better to get the surgery done! I won't forget you!!! LOl! I promise!
    And now-Wow! OH Wow! Did I ever get a wish list swap box from Shirley!! I loved it all and I am thrilled with it!
    I got this in the box:
    large pink bleeding heart
    large clump of spearmint
    variegated canna
    Black Gamecock Iris
    Thornbird Iris
    Siberian Iris-Blueberry Fair, Lemon Veil, and Ships are
    Sailing
    Daylilies- Big Kiss, Alaqua, Clothed in Glory, and
    Beautiful Edgings
    I absolutely loved them all and well worth the wait!
    I am so glad they came in time! I have them all planted and watered so now when I have my surgery tomorrow I don't have to worry about them! Thanks so very much!
    Miriam, I do hope you are doing better, and everyone else doing well also!
    I will be back on after surgery when I feel better!
    Hugs to all! Melinda

• ellenh
    14 years ago

Hi everyone sorry I've been so quiet - been pretty busy.

Jean - your package went out today. I hope you like it!

Deb - take your time, glad I'm not last to ship :) Sorry about your computer - if you need help, let me know. I work with computers for a living.

Melinda - sounds like you makde out - very nice package! Good luck on your surgery.

My daylilies are starting to bloom. I found a new daylily in my garden - a seedling! Wonder what it's going to look like. My jap irises keep putting out seedlings. I have a new one that bloomed completely white. I have a deep purple one with a really nice form. I guess these are the advantages of having a weedy garden - you never pull up the seedlings without knowing it!

Ellen

• brittneysgran
    14 years ago

Marea---thanks oh boy a secret surprise....

Melinda-Glad you liked your box...I was worried about sending you a repeat plant by having your name 3 times. Wishing you the best with your surgery...Big hugs and prayers heading your way.

Ellen-Hi..glad to see you posting.

Sharon-Oh my gosh you have to see the seedling I got from some of your crosses. IT'S GORGEOUS. I will post a picture soon. My DS loved being a Military Police in the Marines and it lead to his degree in law enforcement.

I'm heading to Pigeon Forge, TN as soon as I have my 40 hours in here at work. Should be 1:00...YEAH and I won't be back until Sunday.

I wish everyone a safe and fun-filled 4th of July....I will be married 40 years Saturday July 4th....Gosh I don't know how I have put up with that man 40 years...LOL

Shirley

• budsnblooms
    14 years ago

Ellen your shade plant swap box went out in the mail today.

Jo I just got your huge wist list box a few minutes ago. I will be back to post a picture and list everything this afternoon....grandbaby is here and crawling everywhere so I have to keep a watchful...grandmotherly eye on him.

Hugs everyone,
    Debbie

• pchanggeo
    14 years ago

Greetings... just returned from Nashville/Knoxville TN area. Beautiful places, but hot and HUMID! I can see why everyone has such beautiful gardens in that area... so green everywhere. I wish I had time to visit Gatlinburg/Smokey Mountain NP... perhaps next time.

Hope your 4th of July is great.
    Thanks,
    Paul

• dirtpig
    14 years ago

Hey to we have a Molly in the grp??

Happy July 4 to all.

Dirtpig

• juspeachy
    14 years ago

hi Everyone,

sorry I have been mia again. It has been a crazy stressfull several weeks.
    Our son deployed over to the war again, so have been stressing over that. And, we have so many projects in the works, but all it has done is "RAIN". grrrrrrrr

I have so many slugs and snails its insane. some of them are as large as my thumb..yuck. we have to keep on top of the strawberries as they ripen, if we leave them even one day, they mold. =(

Debbie,
    I am glad you got your box, sorry it was so late, but i finally got a few hours between rain showers to get all the plants dug and packed. Sounds like you had a wonderful time on your trip. I am so glad. =)

I has rained here nearly evey single day, several times, it was sunny all day while i was working, but started raining as I was driving home, geeeez
    and one day it was dry at the place i worked, but when i got home, my dd told me it had rained there all day. How did i get so lucky, lol

Jean and shirley,
    Big gratz on ur prizes *smiles*

Melinda and Miriam,
    More prayers and hugs for you both.

Have a wonderful 4th everyone.
    Take care, and stay safe,

Hugs,
    Jo

• dirtpig
    14 years ago

Oh wow,oh wow!!!I hit the jack pot..hehe
    I received my shade box from Ellen.
    And let me tell you,she can pack a box!!
    Thank you,thank you..BIG OLD SMILE here
    Received
    Ostrich fern
    White violets
    Hostas,
    off my wish list too!!How cool is that :)
    Sum It Up
    First Frost
    So Sweet
    Cookie Crumbs
    Kabuki
    Looks like at least half of her garden was in that box.
    Dayliles
    Sibyl's Legacy
    Panda Bear
    Just to cool,Thank you again Ellen :)
    Can you tell I'm a happy gardener..hehe

Paul I hope you got some picture for us on your trip:)

Jo,prayers to keep your son save and sound.
    You can how ever send that rain here thou.
    But please keep those slugs and snails.yuckie boo!!

Wishing all a fun and safe 4th.

Jean

• mamabirrd
    14 years ago

Happy Fourth of July to my dear, old and new friends!

I cannot begin to tell you how happy it has made me to read through this thread. I really needed the smiles. I'm not sure how many threads I've missed and I'm terribly sorry for being absent.

Debbie, I am so sad to hear of your daughters dx. HUGS
    I'd like to talk to you via email and will send a note along soon.

I had been hoping to get back here many times since the birth of my sweet boy 2 years ago, but life keeps getting in the way. My family is now in crisis once again and I ask for your thoughts and prayers. We really, really need them.

I will send out a group email soon - hope I have all the correct addresses.

Marea, 'Snazzy Memories' is in it's full glory - magnificent! We never got around to dividing it yet and the fans have grown into a nice clump at the entrance to my Sis' home.

My little one is doing so well. How amazing to watch him grow and learn! He is a wonderful garden helper too! Loves to put the weeds in the wheelbarrow, and digging is his middle name. :)

I lost my dear dog to old age - he was over 15 years old! He was laid to rest up on our Bluebird Hill.
    I sure do miss him.

Our birds are doing well, but I know they miss us because we are always working. I can't wait until we get the house done and can spend more time with them again.

We still haven't moved, but the house is coming along. I do have water now so that is wonderful. But only a hose- no luxuries such as a sink yet.
    Working on stoning our fireplace now. Electric is done. We have our insulation ready to put in after an inspection next week and then we can finally sheetrock. Still have to put in septic system as well as our furnace, but all ductwork is done. Kind of running out of money so things are slowing down.
    I did manage to put in a beautiful organic veggie garden w/ DH's help. It was supposed to be a temporary one but it turned out so nice I have to keep it.

Daylilies are in full bloom here in Western PA and I think of you all when I step out the door and see all the color you have shared with me.

HUGS,
    Dawn (mamabirrd)

• drgulley
    14 years ago

I wanted to wish my TD friends a nice and safe 4th of July weekend. Things have still been pretty hectic here. Not sure if that will ever change. LOL.. :O)

It has been over 100 degrees for several days here and we have been on an outside water ban all week. I have been sneaking out to water my daylilies in pots, otherwise I don't think they would survive. They told us that today we can water outside but only during certain times. It's funny, some things you just take for granted like water and electricity and when they are gone, man you sure miss them!

Marea, I am surprised to hear about the deer eating your roses. I would think that they wouldn't like the roses because of all the thorns. They must be pretty tough!

Shirley, I hope you are having a nice trip and Happy Anniversary to you and hubby.

Melinda, hope surgery goes well and you are feeling better soon.

Paul, it seems like you are always going some place or the other. Lucky you to be able to travel so much! I am hoping to go somewhere this summer, just not sure where yet.

Dawn, I am sorry to hear about your dog. It sounds like he was lucky to have lived such a long life.

Hugs to all,

Dianne

• mareas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Happy 4th everyone!
    Jo & any one else, I'm sorry if you are still on dial up & had to wait for this (get clearwire, it's an internet connection that only needs cell phone towers & a receiver) but had to share Bradley Bernard on the 4th of July ~

Dawn called my first registered seedling magnificent!! You sweetheart, I've missed you lots. I'm sorry to hear about your dog, too. but so glad you had such a sweet place to lay his body to rest.
    Please tell Jenna I loved her post about the flower ~ it put tears in my eyes & that I lost her email addy, too.
    Hope to hear more from you & hope life gets easy for you at last...

God bless you all, Marea

• budsnblooms
    14 years ago

I'll start a new thread for us.