Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bev2009

NEW: Seeds N Stitches June One Potato Two Potato

bev2009
11 years ago

For June we will be making a Tater Baking Bag. I discovered these when I stopped by the quilt store in Batavia, Il and asked for their suggestion as to what do to this month. When you cook your baking potatoes in the bag in the microwave, they come out very moist on the inside with tender skins, instead of shriveled raisins! LOL

This first site sells the bags, but it gives you a good idea of what they will look like and how to use them. It is important to use 100% cotton thread, batting and material!

http://www.skeetersfinecrafts.com/taterbags.html

The EHOW link has directions:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2341961_make-potato-baker-bags.html

And this link has a tutorial:

http://craftsanity.com/2010/01/craftsanity-on-tv-a-potato-bag-tutorial-for-mircowaving-tasty-potatoes-on-the-fly/

In order to sign up for this swap, You must be a member in good standing with GardenWeb and 18 years of age or older.

Sign up by June 5th and I will match partners soon after that. Mail out by June 21st.

June is the beginning of summer so if you like, tuck something in the envelope that is summery!

Please ask questions if you have any. I can't wait to try a bag out and see if it makes a yummy potato, maybe with some chives from the garden...

Bev

Comments (43)

• hazelnutbunny
    11 years ago

sign me up! This sounds like fun, and we eat a LOT of baked potatoes! :)

• lindaruzicka
    11 years ago

"tickling Bunny so she jumps out of the way"..sounds like fun!...sigh me up!

• bev2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was thinking with the weather heating up, would I want to eat baked potatoes, but then I remembered, at least it won't heat up the kitchen. And with fresh chives from the garden...yummy! One of my organic potatoes had a lot of sprouts, so I think I will plant it for fun in the morning.

Glad you've sprouted interest in the project, ladies. Ouch! Hopefully I won't be able to think of many potato lines.

• sandlapper_rose
    11 years ago

I'm sorry. I have some medical and dental things that need to be addressed, so I'll need to skip a few of the swaps. I'll come by to visit though. Have fun!
    (When I get a chance I am going to make one of the baked potato bags. It's something I have had on my to-do list for awhile now.)

Jeanne

• bev2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm sorry you can't participate this month, Jeanne. Hope you are back to normal next month.

So far we have-

Bev
    Melissa
    Linda

I hope everyone has a nice Memorial weekend. I hope to do the usual, garden,(bought 3 flats of impatiens yesterdat) stained glass, quilt and go to a couple of cookouts on Monday. Maybe go to the cemetery for my mom.

What is everyone else planning. Seems like Dan has really taken a vacation...from the computer too. Are you out there Dan?

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

I'm here Bev, for the moment...lol. And yes, I'm not only on vacation at the moment, but enjoying it immensely! So far today I've been to 2 different garden centers and hauled home 800 pounds of peat, I have no idea how many plants, 7 bags of sand, and enough patio pavers to put a level floor in my greenhouse. I'm heading out in a few minutes to plant my corn, pumpkins, and green beans using the Three Sisters method. Between the corn rows I'm putting down landscape fabric to cut down on the weeding, hopefully. Tomorrow morning I get to go to the local farmers market. I'm not sure what they'll have since most of the fruit has been hit pretty hard hereabouts this spring, but at least I'm going, right? I wanted to get to the beach today, but I don't think I'll be ready to leave my gardening until later, and by then I'll probably be too sore/exhausted to enjoy the beach. Maybe later this weekend, and if not, there's always next weekend.
    Another fun part of my vacation is that, with me outside so much, Mr. Bump has decided that he needs to be outside too. He goes from begging to screaming at me, but it doesn't do him any good. He's staying indoors.
    I won't be playing along this month, but I will be stopping in from time to time to check on all you kids, and see if you're behaving. (that one made me laugh. imagine, you ladies, behaving! as if!) With all the current sewing projects I have strewn about the house, I don't see how I could add on another one.
    I'll chat later, I hear some seeds chanting my name...
    Dan

• bev2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm sorry you won't be joining us, Dan, but I understand about wanting to finish some projects. I've decided I need more color in my life and am painting a white, two section, decorative white picket fence a hot pink. It will go in the lily bed front of an evergreen hedge. Hopefully I will finish that in the morning. Then I still don't have my wall hanging done. I'm currently machine quilting, definitely still learning this technique so I'm a little disappointed in it, but I want to get that done by next week. And then there are the weeds...and the stained glass...Oh, why do I start so much at one time????

But for color I had two bluebirds in the birdbath yesterday (never see them in the yard) and a Baltimore Oriole at the feeder this morning, along with yellow finches, blue jays, and cardinals. Lots of color going on there. LOL

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Bev, I sent you and email, but was not sure if you got it as I did not hear back from you. Hope everyone enjoys the swap. I am sitting out this swap and July's swap as I am recovering from surgery. Hope everyone has a fun summer! :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• bev2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sharon, I'm sorry. I did get your email, but it got buried down the list before I could reply. I hope your recovery is going well, and your are sitting in the shade with your mug rug enjoying a cool drink and some cookies. I hope your up and running soon! Take care.

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Bev, that sounds like a lot of color on the wing, how cool! And a hot pink fence? I do believe we'll need to see some pictures when that's done...lol! I like it!

Today while delivering the mail I met a new customer. His name is Clyde, and he's a 7-week old black lab. I got to hold him for a few minutes, and in that time he covered me with puppy kisses... it was awesome!!! When I got home though, I was in trouble. Bump climbed up on my chest, did some sniffing, then backed off and gave me a few dirty looks. You'd have thought I did something wrong! I did go and change my shirt, and then he was okay. Apparently I don't even need to think about bringing home a puppy of my own. But that's okay, I don't think that will be the last time I get petted by Clyde!

It's in the 50s and raining, so I don't think I'll be able to do any outside work this weekend. It would be nice to get the greenhouse floor in though, I've already got the sand and stones, just need to put the labor in. If I don't get to work in the greenhouse, I can work on my sewing, which I haven't been able to get near for the past few weeks.
    Are we ever done with our projects???

• bev2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm allergic to cats and dogs, so I don't spend much time with them, but who can resist puppy kisses! The weather has greatly improved, so I assume you are out putting in your greenhouse floor, Dan. We'll need pictures of this when you are done, too. Hope everyone is having a great weekend, which I am considering the beginning of summer. We drove into Michigan and took lunch to very close friends. The wife had knee surgery several weeks ago and is still in a lot of pain. Perfectly blue sky, good food, great company...a lovely day. Hope to sew some later today. Maybe I'll get my tater sack done!

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Well, I didn't get to work on my greenhouse today, but that's okay. I did get to go out to my parents' house and spend some time with my younger sister, who is visiting from Minnesota. She brought her two german shepherds with her, Gaelon and Bee. Gaelon is an absolute horse and guards her every minute! I like that, because she lives alone and likes to travel, and having her own canine security force makes the rest of us breathe easier! Bee is just a 3-month old pup, but she's going to be a big one too. She's already upwards of 35 pounds, fuzzy as can be, and is Gaelon's shadow. Everywhere he goes, she goes. You're right Bev, perfectly blue skies, good food, and great company made for a lovely day!
    I'm not making any plans for tomorrow beyond weighing in at WW in the morning. It seems like whenever I make plans, they go awry. When I don't, I get things done. So cross your fingers for me and have a great night!
    Dan

• hazelnutbunny
    11 years ago

I'm going to have to pull out this month, Bev. I'm sorry!
    I am just dealing with too much stuff right now and stressed beyond my limits (I see a padded cell in my future...or at least some valium! lol!). Anyway....I realized I didn't have the material on hand for this, and I won't be able to buy any in time, so I just need to sit out. Hope you understand!
    Hugs!

• gmom2-6boys
    11 years ago

I'm home! I think I've had 1 day of lurking while I was gone. Trying to keep up with you guys.
    This potato bag must be a HOT ITEM right now. They were in every gift shop I went into.
    I will make several for the church holiday sale, when it comes around.
    I was trying to post on our Mug Rug listing but couldn't get in. So! I'm posting here. Linda, I love the mug rug and have it right where I eat my meals. Thank You so much. It is BEAUTIFUL. The teas are great.
    I'm trying to get things but washed and put away before my husband says he is ready to go somewhere else. Not as long, only weekend.
    NOW, I want to sell my house and move to Utah or Arizona.
    Have a great day!
    Sharon

• bev2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sandra, how are you coming with your recovery? Hope you're feeling better.

Well, Linda. It looks like it is just you and me, kid. Unless Sharon wants to jump in at the last minute....I'll wait a day or two to see.

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Hi Bev, thanks for asking, I am feeling a little bit better. Still don't have my energy back at 100% yet and the pain has lessened some. Am just hoping and praying that this surgery will be successful, though still too early yet to tell. Hope everyone enjoys their summer. I am wanting to spend more quality time with my family in the coming months so I may be absent from the S-N-S Swaps for a while.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• lindaruzicka
    11 years ago

I'm glad you liked your mug rug Sharon, it just reminded me of you!
    Bev, I'm going to Hobby Lobby on friday to see if I can find any cool material that I like. I think these hot potato bags are pretty awesome and hope to make more for Christmas gifts

• gmom2-6boys
    11 years ago

As long as I have time to join, count me in. I will be going to town one day so I'll look for some material. I have lots but not anything like I saw in the shops.
    Sharon

• bev2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Super, ladies. Then how about...

Bev sends to Linda
    Linda sends to Sharon
    Sharon sends to Bev

That was easy. I should have time this weekend to make your potato sack, Linda. You'd think I would have had it all ready to go, but I don't. LOL

• gmom2-6boys
    11 years ago

Getting to know each other better!
    A few questions.

What kind of tea do you like and why?
    What brand of tea to you like?
    What brand of coffee do you Like?
    If you buy coffee out, where do you go?
    I like tea and don't seem to be getting fla. vor in it. Herble tea that is. Linda, I have not tried the teas with my mug rug. So what should I try.
    Sharon

• lindaruzicka
    11 years ago

Sharon, do what I do when I can't choose...close your eyes and pick one! works for me, then if I like it, I can buy more.

• lindaruzicka
    11 years ago

What kind of tea do you like and why? I drink alot of red rose when I"m drinking plain black tea. It's very strong and curbs my caffeine cravings. I like the white teas, several kinds of green tea, Earl Grey, peppermint and the orange teas. However, I'm always willing to try something new.

What brand of tea to you like? Red rose, Earl Gray and lipton herbal teas

What brand of coffee do you Like? I never drink coffee, I never acquired the taste for it..love to smell it though!

If you buy coffee out, where do you go? Jeff buys Dunkin Donut coffee, he says it's really good.

• bev2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What kind of tea do you like and why? I love most kinds of tea. I use to get a regular tea flavored with apricots that was my favorite, but I haven't ordered from the company in ages and can't think of their name. Also really like Celestial Seasoning County Peach Passion, Earl Grey and Constant Comment. I don't like green tea. I drink four cups of coffee in the morning and then no more coffee for the rest of the day. I never buy coffee at say Starbucks. I'm probably too cheap. LOL

What brand of coffee do you Like? I usually buy Folgers because its handy. But my son will buy good beans and grind it when he makes coffee, so I'll always grab a cup of that. Ummmmmmm

I've never tried Red Rose, Linda. I'll have to look for it.

It's about 84 outside. I hosed all the spring pollen (probably from the trees) off the screened porch today, repotted my large geranium I bring in during the winter and potted a pot on the porch. I'm doing more pots this year. I usually don't do much with them because they don't look very good, but I am giving it another try. This activity was scheduled for this morning when it was cool, but my daughter messed up her arrangements with her friends and they showed up at our house while she drove over to their apartment. They were going to go to the market together and do some stuff on the computer. Since they hadn't had breakfast, I made tea and coffee and shared by baguette and brie, aged cheddar and almond croissant that I had just gotten at the market, while my daughter drove back to our house. So the girls were on the porch all morning and I had to wait to clean it. And of course the house wasn't clean (I garden - not clean in the summer LOL)so while they were on the porch I did a quick pick up and vacuum and cleaned the powder room. OK. TMI. I'm just rambling because I am too hot and tired to do anything else right now. But once I recover, I'm going up to the sewing room to make my potato sack.

Hope everyone is having a lovely day. (I wish you could all come and see my garden, it is so pretty this year. It is really maturing and I love to share it.) Some pics to brighten your day....

• lindaruzicka
    11 years ago

pretty, pretty pics..."sipping lemonade in Bev's garden while chatting"

• gmom2-6boys
    11 years ago

Thanks for the tea info, I will look for some of your types of tea. I have just discovered white tea. Coffee, I never touch the stuff. It does smell good thou!
    Has eather of you tried these potato bags? Well, I put my in the microwave today and it caught fire. I'm 99% sure all supplies were 100% cotton but it still caught fire. WHAT A NASTY SMELL!!
    Bev, your flowers are beautiful! How long have you had your clamtis?
    We are enjoying them.
    Sharon

• bev2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm glad you both enjoyed the pics. Sharon, so sorry about your experience. I Googled it right away and others had this problem too. One lady had to get a new microwave. Some people said you had to buy the special batting they sell for the project, but another said even that had caught fire. If no one has sent their bags out yet, should we scrap this project? I did not get mine made yet. Has anyone mailed theirs?

• gmom2-6boys
    11 years ago

Bev, I really don't want to send Linda anything that I don't feel safe with. I don't have access to any stores this week to look for a different type of batting.
    I wouldn't mind making something else like another Mug Rug or anything of her choice.
    What is your advice, you are the leader this month.
    Sharon

• bev2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think it is best to scrap the potato sack. I'm sorry it didn't work out. Since the month is half over and it is June, let's go with a flower theme. How about picking one of the blocks below, or another pattern with a flower of your choice, and making one 12" block. I have a lot of blocks from last year's exchanges, but not enough to do anything with. We'll stick with the same partners and you will have until the end of the month to complete.

Bev sends to Linda
    Linda sends to Sharon
    Sharon sends to Bev

Baby Bud
    http://www.quilterscache.com/B/BabyBudBlock.html

Starflower
    http://www.quilterscache.com/S/StarflowerBlock.html

Rosebud
    http://www.quilterscache.com/R/RosebudBlock.html

I'm glad we are a flexible group! LOL

• gmom2-6boys
    11 years ago

Where is my mind lately. I don't send to Linda, I send to Bev. Bev, what colors would you like?
    Sharon

• bev2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The color doesn't matter. I have a collection of many colors and patterns from all our exchanges in the last couple of years, so as long as it is 12" it will work. But thanks for asking!

• lindaruzicka
    11 years ago

Blocks are always welcome! I'm saving up mine to put together a quilt too..LOL! I did buy that batting you were talking about and was going to put everything together this week. Think I"ll save it for another project!

I am glad we found this out as I was going to make some for Christmas presents.

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

I'm trying to get some fabric out of the way so I can get to my sewing machine and give Bumpy back his chair in the office, and I found a whole pile of blocks from the s-n-s swaps! About 2/3s are already sewn together, so I'm going to go lay that across my bed and see how big it is. I've got hidden treasure in my stash!!!

• gmom2-6boys
    11 years ago

Bev, Your block is ready to be mail and it will be when I go to town. Whenever that is.

I'm sorry about the potato bags. Did you and Linda make one. I don't know how they can be such a hot item in the gifts shops. I'm afraid to try another one.

gmom

• bev2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sharon,
    I look forward to receiving my block! No, Linda and I didn't make the sacks. I'm disappointed about that not working out. I've cut out my block but haven't sewn it yet. My daughter committed a knitted blanket to a camp for disabled kids and it has to be there by Monday. She didn't make enough squares, so she is busy knitting like crazy and I am connecting the blocks for her. So if I am not doing that, I have been in the garden! I feel like I have had such a long summer already, instead of feeling like the summer has flown by. That will probably come later.

Dan, good for you. I go crazy when the piles start building up, whether it's fabric, papers or stained glass. So I spent a lot of time this last week also folding all my fabric. I'll post a picture later. I don't have a lot of fabric, but it's all organized now and I can find in an instant what I am looking for. Love it.

Got to work at the Master Gardeners garden walk today, make food for another daughters dinner party tonight and maybe find time to clean house today...the last think on my list each day which I never seem to get to in the sumnmer. LOL

• bev2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Linda, I'm sorry I haven't gotten your square in the mail yet. I went to work today and came home sick. The dizziness is gone now I think, but I feel so tired. Not sure what I've got. If I feel better later, I'll try and get it sewn up.

• sandlapper_rose
    11 years ago

I thought I would mention that I bought the special batting to be used in the microwave bags. I haven't made one yet. Now I feel like I should to see if they are safe to use. I know I always heard it needs to be all cotton, even the thread.

It seems like several in my quilt guild said they used them for potatoes and corn on the cob and they work really well, but my memory may be off.

Jeanne

• lindaruzicka
    11 years ago

well, my computer was down for about 5 days and I ended up going out of town on top of that...sooooooo....Sharon I have to work on your block this week! I'm behind once again.."sigh'

• gmom2-6boys
    11 years ago

Linda, don't worry about the block, I'm in no hurry,

Bev, I hope you are feeling better, just take things slow.
    I'm putting your block in the mail today while we are in town.

Sharon

• bev2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jeanne, I don't know if using the special batting makes a difference. I would have to research again on the web.

Linda, I made your block last night! Funny how it only takes a few minutes once you get started. But my sewing area is all organized now and it is so much easier for me to work. I really don't have much stuff to organize, but I still couldn't stand things not being in their place. LOL It will go in the mail tomorrow.

• bev2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Sharon. I believe I was dehydrated. Not hard for a gardener. LOL But I am pushing the liquids, especially with being out in the 101 temps today. Hope everyone had a lovely 4th.

• bev2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sharon, thank you for the lovely block! I love the deep rose and pink colors.

I'll wait to hear that Linda received my block and then we will call this closed since Sharon and Linda are sending theirs with the this months exchange.

• bev2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Linda, did you get my package yet?

• lindaruzicka
    11 years ago

Bev, I received your lovely block and the wonderful pampering stuff..believe me,I'm going to need it! ((HUGS) The block will be used in the friendship quilt that I'm collecting blocks for.