Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
micyrey

NEW: new obf * may* April showers bring May flowers swap

Michelle Reynolds
10 years ago

Hello Friends

For this month lets look around the yard( those in the northern states may have to wait till the end of the month to send) and see what perennials are coming up and can be divided. we aren't talking large boxes here, just a few small starts.
I also think it would be cool to list plants we "collect", we all have a few kinds of plants we just have to have all of.

we'll do sign ups till the 12th of may

send by the end of the month

I will be the first to sign up
my "collections"
Iris
sedums
hen and chicks
daylilies
I want any and all, named or not.

I will post a may flowers bingo in a day or 2.

michelle

Comments (114)

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello

Tonight's bingo word is....Camilla.

You guys are getting close .

Michelle

• 1JanetH
    10 years ago

Hi everyone! I've been MIA for quite a few months now thanks to a lot of different reasons....health being the main culprit. I do hope everyone has had a good winter/spring and looking forward to the summer :)

Praying for those that were in the tornado recently...my heart just breaks for them as I've watched the tv :(

Noticing I've missed this month's swap....which is fine, I'm looking forward to next months which, btw, has it been posted yet?

Happy Gardening friends!
    Janet

• margaret_2007
    10 years ago

Hello, Lovely Ladies-Waking up to rain pouring down here in Iowa & supposed to be that possibility all this Holiday weekend.

I received my great box from Shirley yesterday. The plants I received are just what I wanted & needed for filling in my beds.

Astilbe "Montgomery"
    Heuchera "Citronelle"
    Heuchera " Carmel"
    2 Hosta's
    Calla Lily
    Pineapple Lily "Sparkling Burgundy"
    Japanese Iris "Jocasta"
    Pulmonary
    Chameleon
    & a darling "Grandmother Plaque"

I am now thinking about where I will plant all of these wonderful plants & just about decided where when I can get it done with all this rain, which they are sitting out in now.

Shirley-Thank you so much. Saying you made my day doesn't nearly cover it! I will be enjoying them for many years to come.

Pray you all have a blessed holiday & please remember "If you love your freedom, thank a Vet". To all who have lost loved ones, treasure those memories. Blessings, Margaret

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    Sorry forgot yesterday's bingo word...so I'll do 2 today

Bingo word # 1 .....nepeta

Bingo word #2 ......mallow

Will be back tomorrow
    Michelle

• brittneysgran
    10 years ago

Hi Janet-How wonderful to see your post....we miss our gardening friends when you are away. I hope to post June's swap in the next few days....keep on the look-out. I plan to have alot of games during the month so stay tuned. I always share some of my gardens with you ladies during game time.

Margaret-I hope to get the hosta names to you in the next few days and also the Calla lily. When DH pulls weeds he re-arranges my name tags (thinking I won't know the difference). I have found daylily names on irises, hosta names on astibles and etc. Bless him

Sue-I recevied my awesome box...thank you so much
    Daylily Meet Joe Black
    Daylily Morning by Morning
    Orange Star plant
    Blue Salvia
    Blue Hibiscus "Santa Cruz"
    Purple Lantana
    3 of the cutest note cards
    wooden wind chime

I love the orange star plant and you know I am addicted to daylilies. LOL Thank you again for all the nice plants.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Memorial Day....and especially our Vets.

• brittneysgran
    10 years ago

I forgot to tell you ladies bluestone perennials is having their 50% off sale.

http://www.bluestoneperennials.com

Have fun

Shirley

• veeja11
    10 years ago

Received my box from Michelle today, found a marker for lavender lady, but didn't find plant found a spiderwart, a mystery hen and chicks, 2 mystery sedum and golden sun sedum an adorable handmade flag pouch with oxalis and avon hand cream. thankyou Michelle loved my box. maryanne yours is flying, should be there tuesday. hugs to my blooming friends

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    Don't know what could have happened to to the lavender, I rememeber wrapping it and putting the marker in the plastic. You looked in the plastic bag Reilly well? I didn't send spiderwort ( don't have it) but spiderweb hen and chicks. My writing is not the best.
    Hope they do well for you.
    Michelle

• 1JanetH
    10 years ago

Shirley, thanks so much for the "welcome back"....I've missed being here so much! You ladies are so wonderful and have helped me to get a great start on my new garden.

I lost a few of the new plants and need to update my trade list. But some of the ones that I received last year are producing now and blooming.....my daylilies are doing great!

Although, I do like to receive plants that I know what type they are, you can Add me to the list that doesn't mind receiving unnamed plants. I guess if that isn't clear, it means that I don't mind receiving lillies without specific names.....clear as mud? LOL

Looking forward to the rest of the month with you ladies and to the new post for June.

Happy Gardening!
    Janet

• beth_b_kodiak
    10 years ago

Hi all, Just scrolling through and it was super to see so many familiar names. Sharon, especially good to see you back again.
    Hope to get back into the action again soon.
    Bethb

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello
    The end of the month is near and I want to get the games wrapped up so we will do 2 bingo words each day

Bingo word #1. Campanula

Bingo word #2. Digitalis

I will do the drawing for a prize. This is between jlee160, kchd, and tomanyanimals. The winner is............Jen. Congrats Jen send me your address and I will send you a prize.

Michelle

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello
    The end of the month is near and I want to get the games wrapped up so we will do 2 bingo words each day

Bingo word #1. Campanula

Bingo word #2. Digitalis

I will do the drawing for a prize. This is between jlee160, kchd, and tomanyanimals. The winner is............Jen. Congrats Jen send me your address and I will send you a prize.

Michelle

• toomanyanimals
    10 years ago

Hurray for Jen! Let us know what your prize is.
    I finally sent my box out to Katie. :o)

Such nice boxes being sent. Love reading the posts.

Beth, thanks for the welcome back.

Katie, Over Memorial Day Weekend I was in an area where the Dwarf Lake Iris (Iris lacustris) grows. I was going to get some for you, but decided to investigate first. I was so glad I didn't dig any up ....Turns out they wouldn't have lived out your way.
    Sharon

• earthlydelights
    10 years ago

Jenn, I haven't forgotten you. I was away for a few days and it's pouring like mad today. I have a part of what i am sending, just need to get the rest together.

carol, i received your wonderful box and i can't thank you enough. thanks for remembering my granddaughter as well. she's super excited to receive gloves, and she took the necklace, wearing it now, but i get to keep the earrings! and the salve....we all can't thank you enough for this. everyone gets their own!!!!!!!! and a three pack of gloves for me! yipee, i am so dang hard on gloves, i go through so many pairs in a season, even when i wear latex under them. so these are very much appreciated.
    i can't plant anything today, too much rain, but hopefully can get to to it tomorrow.

peony bowl of beauty
    blazing star liatris
    comfrey roots
    a fabulous horseradish root!!!!!
    NOID daylily
    and what i think might be onions, but not sure

thanks so much carol, everything is appreciated.

jenn, it's coming, i promise!!!!!!!!!!

maryanne

• earthlydelights
    10 years ago

Jenn, I haven't forgotten you. I was away for a few days and it's pouring like mad today. I have a part of what i am sending, just need to get the rest together.

carol, i received your wonderful box and i can't thank you enough. thanks for remembering my granddaughter as well. she's super excited to receive gloves, and she took the necklace, wearing it now, but i get to keep the earrings! and the salve....we all can't thank you enough for this. everyone gets their own!!!!!!!! and a three pack of gloves for me! yipee, i am so dang hard on gloves, i go through so many pairs in a season, even when i wear latex under them. so these are very much appreciated.
    i can't plant anything today, too much rain, but hopefully can get to to it tomorrow.

peony bowl of beauty
    blazing star liatris
    comfrey roots
    a fabulous horseradish root!!!!!
    NOID daylily
    and what i think might be onions, but not sure

thanks so much carol, everything is appreciated.

jenn, it's coming, i promise!!!!!!!!!!

maryanne

• veeja11
    10 years ago

Maryanne its a walking onion, glad everything arrived alive. I saw the cutest pink gloves with trowel last month but was dissapointed it was gone when I went shopping for you. comfrey is not very pretty has an igsignificant purple flower but is a great herb, recipe should be in your message box on facebook. big hugs will try to sent small box of things I didn't have time to pack because of pushy husband. big hugs carol

• earthlydelights
    10 years ago

i was just out digging for jenn and realized i forgot something that carol sent. a major, major aloe plant, which i potted up immediately. sorry to have forgotten caropl. thanks again!!!! xoxoxo

• jlee160
    10 years ago

yeah, thanks Michelle:) I plan on digging/ sending Thursday, if that's ok.
    no worries maryanne:) what a foggy, yucky day today. good day to work:)

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello
    Our bingo words for today are....
    #1........rosa
    #2........allysum

We had 2 inches of rain in the last 24 hours, and about 2 inches this weekend. The Fabius river just down the hill from our house is way over its banks for the third time this spring. Right in front of our house is a 30 acre field of corn, looks so cool all popping up in such nice neat lines. We have about 25 black-swallow tail caterpillars in my sewing room, they have picked bronze fennel this year.
    Well that's all for me tonight, see you all tomorrow.
    Michelle

• kchd
    10 years ago

Last week I had to make a surprise trip to Colorado for work. The weather was beautiful, but I was really busy. Sharon, it sounds like both of us were out of town around the same time. Glad we each waited to send our boxes!

I came home this afternoon and got all of the plants dug up, packed up in their box, a priority mail label printed up, and it's ready to go to Sharon. DC # is 9405 5036 9930 0443 2523 31 I will be dropping it off at the post office first thing tomorrow morning on the way to work.

Oooo, Sharon, I went and read about Iris lacustris. What a beauty! but considering it's range and cool microclimate habitat, I'm not sure I could grow it either.

I have not been keeping up with Bingo very well. Is anyone close?

Katie

• earthlydelights
    10 years ago

all dug and now wrapping and boxing up, will hit the post office this afternoon, jen. hope you like what i chose for you!

i was just out a minute or so ago and noticed the old lady plant (thief) eyeing up my driveway again. i moved everything that is in holding all the way to the back by the fence, so she really has to "travel" to get to loose stuff now. she didn't see me, but i stood there watching her check things out. then i think i spooked her when i said hello, she seemed caught off guard and then went up the street. interesting to say the least.

so has anyone hit any sales at any of the big box stores. i love the "reject" shelves and am hoping to get some dead to them but not to me perennials to fill up other spaces. i've done that on occasion in the past, still hoping they do this or that i hit the stores at just the right time. i'd like to ger more varieties of hosta and heuchera. i wish the garden center i went to up in lancaster did that, they must have had 25 or more varieties of heuchera, wish you could root them from just snipping a leaf, because i would have been a snipper that day! LOL

it's going to be hot. we went from raining, windy, cold temps and going straight into the 90's. i will not complain, since i am not in the path of yet another tornado. i'm just stating how insane weather is.

well, if i don't get off the computer, my box won't get packed or mailed, so i'll call it a day for now.

carol, thanks for the update on the comfrey and i'll check out the recipe message!

by the way, my potatoes are starting to flower. i'm one excited farmer!

maryanne

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello
    We have a winner in the bingo, check your cards .

I hit the jackpot at lowes a few weeks ago, I got 10 green velvet boxwoods and 8 rebloomer azelias for a doller each. All in great shape and doing great.
    I love the sale rack.

Michelle

• kchd
    10 years ago

Wow, Michelle, you totally scored at that sale rack!
    Oh, would you mind listing all the BINGO words you've called thus far for those of us who are more challenged? LOL

MaryAnne, your stories about the suspect plant thief are just maddening. You need a game camera so you can catch the thief in the act!! Know anybody you can borrow one from?

Katie

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bingo words

Achillea
    Allium
    Allysum
    Begonia
    Camellia
    Campanula
    Cassia
    Chelone
    Columbine
    Coneflowers
    Dahlia
    Digitalis
    Nepeta
    Mallows
    Pinks
    I have a game camera , I use it to see who is stalking my chickens.

We have more chicks hatching this morning, my sons hen finaly decided to sit.

Well will check back later.

Michelle

• margaret_2007
    10 years ago

Hello, Lovely Ladies-So much rain in Southeast Iowa & forecast for another up to 4 inches in the next 2 days. I did get some of my great plants from Shirley in the ground (thanks again, Shirley, they are looking great). I still haven't planted seeds yet so hope we get some real good growing weather soon. I really can't complain thinking & praying for those who having to deal with tornados & the rest of disasters.

Sue I am glad you received the plant I sent & will be putting the rest in the mail I hope tomorrow. We are out of town today with not enough time to get it all together.

The swaps coming through are just great. Isn't it wonderful sharing like this? Such a great group.

Have a wonderful weekend coming up. Blessings, Margaret

• margaret_2007
    10 years ago

Hello, Lovely Ladies-So much rain in Southeast Iowa & forecast for another up to 4 inches in the next 2 days. I did get some of my great plants from Shirley in the ground (thanks again, Shirley, they are looking great). I still haven't planted seeds yet so hope we get some real good growing weather soon. I really can't complain thinking & praying for those who having to deal with tornados & the rest of disasters.

Sue I am glad you received the plant I sent & will be putting the rest in the mail I hope tomorrow. We are out of town today with not enough time to get it all together.

The swaps coming through are just great. Isn't it wonderful sharing like this? Such a great group.

Have a wonderful weekend coming up. Blessings, Margaret

• toomanyanimals
    10 years ago

Michelle, you did hit the Jackpot at Lowes! I need to get back there!

Hot and humid today.

Katie, sorry about sending you those milkweed seeds. I knew you wanted some, but GW was down when I was packing up, so what do I do ? ..... I threw in the ones you DIDN'T want. sigh.

Off to walk the dog......
    sharon

• jlee160
    10 years ago

Michelle- your box is flying out tomorrow:)

• jlee160
    10 years ago

Michelle - your box is on its way:)

• kchd
    10 years ago

I received my awesome box from Sharon yesterday filled with a wide assortment of beautiful natives!
    The post office wasn't exactly gentle with the box, but I'm hoping to keep them watered and get those roots to dig down deep and they should be thriving by next spring.
    Here's what she sent:
    Chamaecrista nictitans. Sharon, I call this partridge pea down here :) It is such a good plant for providing food for birds, especially quail.
    Asarum canadense, wild ginger. What a swwet little plant!
    Darmera peltata, umbrella plant. Did not know this plant before, but wow it looks really beautiful
    Heuchera, Amethyst Myst. I've been contemplating putting in some heuchera for awhile now. This one is GORGEOUS!
    Erythronium americanum, trout lily bulbs. Right off my wish list :)
    Arisaema triphyllum, jack-in-the-pulpit. One of my new favorite shady natives. I only have 2 plants thus far, so this is a welcome addition.
    Geranium maculatum, wild geranium. Another sweet little native plant! I definately need the low-growers.
    Asclepias curassavica Silky Gold. The monarchs thank you!
    And some terrific munchies. Sharon, I first had these wasabe almonds just last week in the airport on my way home. They were delicious! My husband munched on them pretty hard too, LOL. And the jolly ranchers are at work to snack on. Mmmm yum!
    Thank you so much for the wonderful box! BTW, your soil is wonderful. The post office said you should be getting yours today! Yippee!

I found 2 Asclepias variegata volunteers yesterday along the edge of our meadow in part shade. I've been wanting some of this milkweed species for awhile now. Doesn't get much better than finding volunteers in bloom on your own property!

Katie

• earthlydelights
    10 years ago

hi everyone. GW is acting up on me, so this needs to be short and sweet. jen, your box was sent a few days ago, i was hoping it would get there today, if not, keeping fingers crossed for tomorrow. i do have the tracking, they do it differently now, so if needed, i'll post it.

maryanne

• toomanyanimals
    10 years ago

Came home from work and yippee my box from Katie had arrived!
    She sent me some wonderful plants for my woodland garden.

Salvia Lyrata , interesting looking leaves . I think this may become a favorite.

Witch alder, it's always nice to have fall color in the woods!

Elderberry, the birds thank you Katie!

Blue eyed grass, I never knew this was a native and that it could grow in part shade.

Common self heal, Katie, I had seeds for this I was going to start this spring,but hadn't gotten around to it. So now, if the seeds don't take, it will be ok ....cause I have PLANTS.

False Solomon's seal, such a beautiful delicate plant. I've never seen it in the woods around my home .... I hope it does ok here.

Katie, thank you for all the interesting natives you sent. I know they will all be beautiful in my garden.
    Sharon

• jlee160
    10 years ago

Maryanne- I had a lovely surprise waiting for me today after work:) What a nice box. I have everything soaking in water as they were pretty thirsty:). Maryanne sent me 3 different irises, cana, hosta, daylily, penstamon- huskers red, pulmonaria, lily of the valley, heucherella, yellow archangel. What a great box- thank you:) I really wish I could be planting! I worked 13 hours today, then did homework, and have twelve hours to work tomorrow;(
    Have a great night everyone!

• earthlydelights
    10 years ago

hi everyone. jenn glad the box arrived. i'm beginning to question "priority mail" delivery though. but hopefully once they have a good soaking they will produce for you...if not this year, next. i hope you are satisfied with the choices. i did find tonight when i was putting out the recycling, two something or others laying in the driveway. must have dropped them after i was done washing leaves, they should have gone in your box jen, but now they are compost. we are in a heat wave. i left with plants looking wonderful and came home to wilted droopping everything...sad. i plan to get up quite early tomorrow morning and water if we don't get the rain they are saying we are. i would not mind an every two day rain, this way no one forgets to water!

it was fun to swap this month, i haven't in a while. looking forward to more.

as an aside, my granddaughter has been invited by her school principal to take part in the flag raising and lowering ceremony on the last day of school. what a great honor!!!!! she just bridged in scouting and was part of the color guard and i thought that was all that, but this is just an amazing honor...all those kids and you pick mine!

hope everyone is enjoying their blooms.
    maryanne

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Katie guess you have been busy.. You won the bingo game!
    Send me your address so I can send you your prize.
    Congrats
    I'll post when my box get here.

Sorry about the drout taking its toll, we had a bad drout for the last two years but now everything is drowning. I have some plants that look to be rotting in the soaking wet ground. We had about 6 to 8 inches last week and 2 dry days and more rain tomorrow and the next 3 days.
    Oh well just cant get it just right.
    Michelle

• toomanyanimals
    10 years ago

Michelle,
    Wonderful news about your granddaughter! I hope there will be pictures taken for her to always remember it.

So she is a Girl Scout .... :o)
    My daughter and I went all the way through Scouts. It gets hard to stay in Scouts in the older years, but she had very flexible leaders. Just wanted to say my daughter was told when she was applying to colleges, it looked very good on the college applications to have stuck with something so long and a group that was know for community service.

We have been getting a nice rain almost every day, but not too much. I haven't had to water yet. Don't worry Katie, I gave those new plants a good watering!

I haven't mulched the garden in 2 years and am paying for it now .... weeds galore! It is supposed to only get to 69 today, so I'm off to get the mulch. A day of hard work ahead of me. sigh.
    sharon

• kchd
    10 years ago

Whoa! What? I won? Yes, I have been busy and have not had a chance to look at my bingo. Thanks for looking out for me, Michelle. I'll send you my address in an email.

Sharon, isn't it lovely to have rain come along when plants need to be watered? If only we all had such luck. Saturday night we had some pretty serious and noisy thunderstorms which dropped over an inch of rain. I am glad to have just gotten some beans planted earlier in the day. How did the blue-eyed grass look when it arrived? I am wondering if it traveled well compared to the other plants.

Katie

• toomanyanimals
    10 years ago

Katie, only the False Solomon's Seal looked anemic. The rest of the plants looked great. I had to laugh at my dog though. The first thing I planted was the grass, then I planted the rest. When I was leaving the area I saw the blue eyed grass dug up ... and Cash the dog was chewing on it. I replanted them and he got yelled at. He has left them alone since. Funny you asked about them. LOL

Sharon

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jilee can you check the tracking number on the box you sent, still has not shown up.
    Thanks
    Michelle

• sguanzon
    10 years ago

Yes I received a wonderful gift from Margaret over a week ago. A red shrimp plant which is always on my most wanted list since I lost my last one several years ago. I can't thank you enough Margaret. I love It!

Sue G

• brittneysgran
    10 years ago

Lots of nice boxes swapped this month,....love to add new plants to the gardens.

Sorry I have been so busy and got behind posting for the June swap....will do that right now.

Everyone sign up while we can swap our plants and add new ones.

Shirley

• jlee160
    10 years ago

michelle, as of 6/2 it was in hazelwood, mo.

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, st Louis was hit by tornados last Friday and shipping through there has slowed. Hazeleood is in st Louis area.
    Thanks
    The boys and I found some monarch eggs today, yay they made it.
    Michelle

• jlee160
    10 years ago

I hope it makes it soon!

• jlee160
    10 years ago

I hope it makes it soon!

• jlee160
    10 years ago

looks like it is on its way to you michelle- you should get it today:) I hope everything made it ok. So much for priority mail!

• margaret_2007
    10 years ago

Hello, Ladies-I finally got the rest of Sue's box sent. So much company & too much rain here. The tracking # is
    9114 9010 7574 2455 6886 15. Thanks, Michelle for hosting. Blessings, Margaret

• Michelle Reynolds
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello
    Yes my box did make it yesterday, after 6days in the box they look kinda beat up , but I will get them planted today and baby them a lot.
    I could not read the note very good but there is 2 daylilys, a verigated sedum, yarrow and several other nice plant starts.
    Thanks for the plants
    I will get your prizes out next week, this week has just been nuts.
    Michelle

• jlee160
    10 years ago

I am glad they finally made it after being shipped priority on may 31! Crazy! Were you able to read the names of what I sent?.

• sguanzon
    10 years ago

I received my wonderful box from Margaret this week having received my red shrimp plant a couple weeks before. Poor box - he was in "priority" mail for 6-7 days!

All arrived well though, here is what I received:

Six big beautiful succulents
    Spring Pot Percher
    Snail Pot Hanger
    Pruning Shears
    Bag of GREAT seeds that I wanted
    and the cutest garden turtle ever

Thanks so much Margaret I love everything!

Sue G