Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonechickchris

BLACK Seed Swap!!!! Color for the Month of June!!!!

bonechickchris
14 years ago

HEllo Everyone!

This is the June color swap, featuring the color BLACK!

You may include seeds that contains anything Black,whether it is a flower, foliage, fruit, vegetable, herb, Etc. or simply just has the word "Black" in its name!

You may send edible and non-edible seeds. Please specify if you would like back edible, non-edibles, or a mix of both. I will do my best to fill your request, but it all depends on what is sent in!

Absolutely NO Invasive Plants or Noxious Weeds!!!!

Please send seeds no older than 2 years old. Please include on the label, the seed's name, a little blurb about it,and indicate whether your seeds are from a commercial source or hand-collected.

The limit for all of the color swaps has been 10 packs so far. But please feel free to send in some extras. By rule, I can only promise that you will recieve the sending limit of 10 packs back, but I will try to send back extras to the people who sent in extras to be fair.

You can send in as little as 1 pack of seeds, there is no minimum to send in.

Please send in enough seed for a person to have a good try out of the seed!!!! In the past swaps, it was atleast 10 seeds per variety, but if something is a small seed, like lets say Basil, you would probably do 4 times that. So please use your judgement and send the number of seeds that you would be comfortable recieving yourself.

Please send only 1 pack per variety ( for example, dont send in 7 packs of Black Hollyhock)! Again, you may send more than one pack of a certain variety, but please know that they will be counted as "extras". SO each variety will be counted as one trade.

You need to sign up before June 3rd, 2009, and your seeds need to arrive by June 15th. Seeds will be sent out to you by June 25th. When you sign up, please do so here on the thread, and also send me an e-mail with your name, address, garden web name, and e-mail address. This way I can reply back to you with my mailing address.

You will need to send your seeds in a bubble envelope, which will be used to mail back your new seeds. Also, I will need a mailing label with your address on it, and stamps equal to what you sent plus one not attached in case an extra stamp is needed (if the extra stamp is not needed, I will put it in your return envelope). One last thing, please include a list of what you sent in so you don't get those seeds back.

Please!!!! Feel free to ask questions!!!! Hopefully, I did not forget anything!

The color Black is such an exciting , unusual color for plants of all types!!!! This will be a really fun one to partcipate in!

Christy, your host!

Comments (89)

• antoinine
    14 years ago

Hey guys. Gotta drop from this one. Family stuff has come up. Sorry.

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, TOni, no problem.

Ok guys! Last call for sign ups!!!!

Christy

• southerncharm1
    14 years ago

Did I make the last call?

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmm, should we let her in guys???? OK KAthy! You are in! LOL!

I also received seeds from Lindaruzicka today! I like how you included seeds that have words that can portray Black, like Night and Evening. That's neat! Thank you! I assume you want flowers back Linda?

Here seems to be the final list, unless we get a few late comers last minute.

bonechickchris~Christy
    dem pa~ Don
    dirtdiggin~ Toni and Daniel
    lindaruzicka
    ejmoore~Joan
    mystlw~Terry
    cybermeowz~ Penny
    carroteggs~Anna
    Patti1957~Patti
    plsell~Pat
    10stepsahead~Barbara
    seedyrum
    booberry~BEcky
    jaynine
    southerncharm~Kathy

Seeds Recieved List:

dem pa~ Don
    carroteggs~ Anna
    mystlw~ Terry
    lindaruzicka~Linda

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

yes, I would like flowers back.."L"..I thought I had posted that already..duh..."shaking head".

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You probably did post it Linda, but my mind doesn't remember most things! LOL!!!!

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Woohoo!!! Seeds are on their way :)

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Seeds are in the mail!

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I recieved seeds today from Ms. Julia C. Can you please let me know your GW name? Thankyou!
    Your envelope came to me with one side open, but the white envelope was still inside of the bubble mailer, so I dont think anything was missing. But if you want to email me, we can go through it to make sure it is all there. Thanks Julia!

Seeds Received List:

dem pa~ Don
    carroteggs~ Anna
    mystlw~ Terry
    lindaruzicka~Linda
    Julia C.

Remember I need to RECEIVE your seeds by the 15th, so that means you have to send them out days before that so they get to me before the 15th.

Thanks guys!!!! Christy

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Guys! Today I recieved seeds from Becky and Toni and Daniel!!!! Wow! What a great bunch of seeds you 3 sent in! This is getting so exciting!!!!

If I have stars (***) next to your name, that means that I have received your seeds!

***bonechickchris~Christy
    ***dem pa~ Don
    ***dirtdiggin~ Toni and Daniel
    ***lindaruzicka
    ejmoore~Joan
    ***mystlw~Terry
    cybermeowz~ Penny
    ***carroteggs~Anna
    Patti1957~Patti
    plsell~Pat
    10stepsahead~Barbara
    ***seedyrum
    ***booberry~BEcky
    jaynine
    southerncharm~Kathy

The 15th will be here before you know it, which is when I need to RECIEVE seeds by, NOT mail out by! So please get those seeds sent out to me if you have not already! The earlier I receive everyone's seeds, the sooner you will get them back!

Thank you guys!!!! There are some really interesting seeds coming in! Some I never even heard of! You guys are really going all out on this one! I can't wait to send these awesome seeds back out to all of you!!!!
    Christy

• patti1957
    14 years ago

I mailed mine last Thursday, you should be getting them soon.

Patti

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

LOL...aren't all those lurkers jealous? heheh jk ;) we love you guys too.

Yeah I love unique stuff! I hope everyone gets an amazing package out of this swap...and we all know Christy can do it (no pressure ;) cause she ALWAYS does an amazing job with hosting!

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Toni for the extra confidence! You guys are sending in such great seeds already, I am trying to find everyone great seeds to give back!

I received Patti's envelope today! And yet, another great envelope full of great seeds!

We are doing good! Over half of the seeds are in already!

If I have stars (***) next to your name, that means that I have received your seeds!

***dem pa~ Don
    ***lindaruzicka
    ejmoore~Joan
    ***mystlw~Terry
    cybermeowz~ Penny
    ***carroteggs~Anna
    ***Patti1957~Patti
    plsell~Pat
    10stepsahead~Barbara
    ***seedyrum
    ***booberry~BEcky
    jaynine
    southerncharm~Kathy

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just updating....

No seeds today. However, I know that jaynine's are on their way!

Christy

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Shucks! No seeds today :(

Here is the list so far

***dem pa~ Don
    ***lindaruzicka
    ejmoore~Joan
    ***mystlw~Terry
    cybermeowz~ Penny
    ***carroteggs~Anna
    ***Patti1957~Patti
    plsell~Pat
    10stepsahead~Barbara
    ***seedyrum
    ***booberry~BEcky
    jaynine ON THEIR WAY**
    southerncharm~Kathy ON THEIR WAY**

ejmoore, cybermeowz, plsell, 10stepsahead, Please email me or post on the thread to let me know if you are still in and if seeds are on their way. If you need to drop out, just let me know. Hopefully, you are all well and are all still in! I need to have all seeds in front of me on Monday so I want to make sure they get here on time.
    Thank you guys!!!!

• cybermeowz
    14 years ago

Christy,

Sent you an email. Seeds were mailed Tuesday so they should be there shortly.

Penny

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Penny! Actually, I just got them today!!!! Thanks so much for the seeds! I cant wait to try those Turkey Claw beans and the White Zebra!!
    I also got seeds from Jaynine and PLSell!

We are almost there! If you still have not contacted me, please do so I know that you are still in the swap!!!!

***dem pa~ Don
    ***lindaruzicka
    ejmoore~Joan
    ***mystlw~Terry
    ***cybermeowz~ Penny
    ***carroteggs~Anna
    ***Patti1957~Patti
    ***plsell~Pat
    10stepsahead~Barbara
    ***seedyrum
    ***booberry~BEcky
    ***jaynine
    southerncharm~Kathy ON THEIR WAY**

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, I wrote out a whole other post before, and it is not here. I hope I did not post it on some other random thread or forum for that matter! LOL!

Anyway, I received some more updates of where people stand. As it is now, we are waiting on 2 envelopes. KAthy, who has hers in the mail, and 10stepsahead, BArbara, who I have not heard from yet since signing up. So if you are out there Barbara, PLEASE email me or post here to let me know if you are still participating!

So, almost all of the seeds are in! So exciting! I already started to separate into piles of edibles and non-edibles, and write down lists of seeds sent in for the naughty people who did not send one in! LOL! It was no problem, no worries!
    I want to have your seeds back out to you within one week of the deadline of Monday the 15th. So, by that next Monday (22nd I think), I should have them all back out to you!

Christy

• seedyrum
    14 years ago

I am in awe of you "boneschicken" such zest such energy such exhuberance and good naturedness>

when i grow up i wanna be just like you!!!

alotta years to go to grow and perhaps even more years to be like you>

i am excited though> feel like the round robin is an addiction that needs its "fix"

looking for the postperson and nothing in the mailbox

then bingo!! something in the mailbox!! then comes the ooohhhh and ahhhhhss and telling folks what was received>>>

before the last round robin is stopped its on to the next fix to feed the addiction

life is good

thank you

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you seedyrum for all of the nice comments!

Well, I assume that 10stepsahead is out, because I never heard from her, and today was the deadline. SO I think we are pretty settled in now.

I am going to work on the seeds this week. I am also waiting for a few I ordered to come in also. I will try to send these back out to you by next Monday, so that you will hopefully recieve them by the end of next week!
    Christy

• southerncharm1
    14 years ago

I was naughty and didn't send a list in the package, but, I emailed it to ya Christy. Does that count? cause I think I've been grounded long enough! ROFL! :)

Kathy

• southerncharm1
    14 years ago

Anyone know what the next color is going to be and when it will start? Thanks!

Kathy :)

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Oh Shoot Daniel and I forgot lists too lol. I'm sorry Christy, didn't mean to make it more difficult.

Toni

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL! No problem guys! I was just kidding with you! And Toni, will all the extras you sent in for me, that is the least I can do is write your list down! LOL!
    I wound up putting everyone's list, whether taped or written, down in my notebook, so it is all there for when I distribute them back out.

I talked to carroteggs a while ago, and she said the next color is Yellow, hosted by Bonnie. I would assume she would be posting soon, since everyone seems to be posting right after the last swap's deadline. I think I posted mine on the 16th or 17th.

Christy

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi guys!

Well, I just got home from the weekend, and we all got food poisoning while we were away! So, I have had a bad last 24 hours. If you guys don't mind, just give me another couple of days to send these out. I even worked on the envelopes while I was away this weekend, but did not get them all done yet. But they should be done soon!
    Thanks guys!
    Christy

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

NP Christy, take a break and get some rest. I'm so sorry you got sick...YUK! I hate it when that happens...:-(

Take care,

Toni

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

Christy, YUCK! Take as much time as you need..."handing you a cup of peppermint tea"

• ten_steps_ahead
    14 years ago

Hi Christy,
    I hope you and your family are feeling a lot better today. There must be something in the air because I was just as sick yesterday and this time hubby got to take care of me instead. I hope you finally received my seeds, you can't miss them in that bright green envelope! Take all the time you need, there's nothing more important than taking care of your family.

Barbara

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, feeling a little better now, hopefully I will be back to normal soon.
    Most of the envelopes are DONE! And will be going out in the AM! The few that I have left will be finished tomorrow and sent out, so everyone should be getting them very soon!I hope you guys liked what I sent! I really tried hard to give everyone what they wanted, plus extras if I could.

PLEASE POST WHEN YOU RECEIVE THEM! So I know they got to you ok. I will post again tomorrow!
    Christy

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Awww bless your heart. Now that's dedication! After this, I sure hope you plan on taking some time to take care of you and yours. Get well and take care of yourself. Sure hope you're feeling better.

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, 8 envelopes went out today, and the other few will go out today or tomorrow.

Barbara, I still have not received your envelope. When did you send it out? I know people have been having trouble with the USPS lately.Email me so we can talk!

Christy

• ten_steps_ahead
    14 years ago

Christy please e-mail your address to me again. My envelope was returned undeliverable to me yesterday.

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

Christy,
    My seeds arrived today "doing seed dance" and what a lot of great surprises! I even got seeds that were on my list! You did good, girl! "round of applause"...

• booberry85
    14 years ago

OOOoooooohhhhhh! Received my seeds today. Christy, once again, you live up to your motto, "Why do, when you can overdo." I'm so thrilled you did too! I love all the seeds. Some of them I REALLY wanted! Thank you so much!

Becky

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am so happy that you liked your envelope Linda, I was hoping I put ones in there that you would like!

I am glad you like your Becky! Hope that there was a bunch of new stuff in there for you to try!

Anyone else get theirs today?
    Christy

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ANybody recieve their seeds today?
    Christy

• patti1957
    14 years ago

Christy,

Received my seeds today. So happy with what you sent. I already planted a couple of them, can't wait to see and/or taste them.

Thank you,
    Patti

• jaynine
    14 years ago

Yes!! Thanks so much for everything, especially all those wonderful black tomatoes. I'm very happy with all my seeds! Thanks again.

• dem_pa
    14 years ago

I received my seeds today. What a great selection. I planted a few things, too. Thanks to everybody.

Don (dem_pa)

• mystlw
    14 years ago

Got my seeds yesterday, thanks so much! I received everything I wanted (love the black tomatoes), and I'm so happy with the extras!! What a great experience for my first swap!
    Thank you very much, Christy, I appreciate all the work and effort that you put into this. : )

• cybermeowz
    14 years ago

Christy,

I received my seeds yesterday. I got so many seeds that I wanted. I received a bunch of new varieties of black tomatoes, black hungarian peppers, black popcorn, black tuscan kale, black caraway and several different kinds of black beans. They are all awesome and I can't wait to grow them. I'm going to plant some tuscan kale for this fall. The rest will have to wait for next summer unless I break down and try to grow some in pots in the sunroom. :) Thanks so much everyone for such a great variety of seeds. And Christy, thanks so much for all the work you put into this. This was a truly excellent swap! I'm really happy with all of the seeds that I got back.

Thanks again,
    Penny

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

OH MY GOODNESS!!! Daniel and I Received our seeds yesterday...so many kewl varieties! YAY!!! I can't wait to try them out :) Sorry would have posted sooner, but I lost my keys (or so I thought) and have been turning the house upside down....Well DH found them this morning....IN HIS POCKET!!! ARGHHHHH!!!! Love him to death though...just frustrating lol.

Daniel is so excited, he's been catagorizing his seeds in his own little seed folder and wants to start planting NOW!!! lol.

Thank you So So So much for such a wonderful batch of goodies! Christy, you certainly know how to run a swap! What a fun time to see all the little surprises.

I hope everyone enjoyed their seeds as much as we have. Thank you everyone for sending in such great seeds.

Thanks again :)

Toni

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Hi,

This is Daniel. I want to say thank you for all the great seeds that were sent to me. I'm all finished organizing them and ready to plant but I have to wait for my mom and dad to make a space for me.

My favorite seeds are the black nightfall beans. They look so cool. I cant wait to plant them.

Daniel

Hi everyone,

Okay now I know why he wouldn't let me see his stash...he got two black tomatoes that I don't have lol. He has been clutching them in his little palms and wouldn't let me see them lol. Okay I'm jealous!!! Well not really, I know he doesn't eat many tomatoes, so mom will get seed next year ;)

Out of curiosity, one of the black tomatoes is a Black Maur (I think that's what it says...it was tough to read as it ran under my nose very quickly lol) I have a Black Moor. Is that the same type or are there two different ones?

Toni

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well Toni, that tomato came from me! I know it is ususual. Although I did go back and forth whether it is Black Maur or Mavr, I believe it to be Black Mavr.

It suppose to be a small plum shaped cherry tomato.

Here are 2 different discriptions for it~

"A, high yielding 56g 2 oz brown/red plum fruit with very good flavor . 80 days"

"Small cherry-type tomato, black/brown fruit in colour. Good producer of 1" diameter fruit, said to have a very good flavour that comes with most black tomatoes. Plants can easily grow to 6ft. Early producer, regular leaf."

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Mavr Tomato

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

YAY it's another black tomato! OH I can't wait to harvest some tomatoes!!!! I have little green ones everywhere but nothing even trying to turn red yet lol I'm not impatient. It's amazing how quickly a little fertilizer makes the tomato plants perk up and fill in. It's about 95 humid degrees here right now and we're awaiting a little cool down this evening to put more plants in.

I'm so excited about all the growing plants. It's a jungle in our yard, house and greenhouse. I LOVE it!!!! Watering is a bit of a challenge right now, but until they're all in the ground, it's one by one lol. DH has been such a big help with the garden. Bless his heart, he's been digging holes and doing all the heavy stuff so I can pick out which plants to put where. I don't know what I'd do without him.

• seedyrum
    14 years ago

thank you thank you received the seeds and all today>

all were in mahhhhhhhhhhhhhveloussssssss shape>

kudos to you and your splendid coordination>

I am very pleased with all you sent>

let me know when you will coordinate another seed swap I AM IN!!
    (Well if the purse allows me)

thank you so much

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am so happy that everyone is truely excited about what they received! That is why I take the extra time to give that something extra to everyone's envelope!

I have not heard from the following people, so PLEASE just let me know that you atleast received your seeds, that's all I ask. So I don't have to worry that you did not receive them!

carroteggs~Anna
    plsell~Pat
    southerncharm

AS for 10stepsahead~Barbara , that is ok, because of the confusion with the po you had, I just sent your seeds out, so I know that is why you did not get yours yet :)

Seedyrum, I am glad your package came! I hope it came before the holiday weekend since I gave you some cuttings on the side. DId they get there ok?

Christy

• seedyrum
    14 years ago

Christy

it came Monday of this week>

the cuttings were very vibrant and cuddly and looked good too

green aromatic with some backbone (not limp)

so now you are a superdupuercuttingspacker>

• plsell
    14 years ago

Christy

Sorry I haven't notified you sooner. I got my seeds the day before I left for vacation and I was running around like crazy. I just got back last night, and I wanted to let you know I love all the seeds you sent. I got two black tomatoes that I didn't have and the lettuce is also new to me. I can't wait until next year so I can plant them all. Thanks for the great work you do.

Pat

• carroteggs
    14 years ago

Sorry Christy, I forgot to post that I had gotten my seeds! Thank you very much for the tomato seeds! They will be started in January...maybe I can get a jump on the bugs next year... Thanks again for hosting! :)
    --Anna