Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darkruler

NEW: Houseplant Swap #2

darkruler
15 years ago

I would like to invite anyone that loves houseplants as much as i do to join in this round robin.i haven't been on in awhile but i hosted a couple RR's on other sites including this one.

Heres the rules

Send at least 4 more if you want of plants/cuttings rooted or unrooted that are indoor plant related.Can't send just all one type like african violet leaves.

After signing up please send me an email (make sure your email is linked to your account or i can't email you)with your updated want list and have list (houseplant related) and i will do my best to coordinate your haves and wants with someone else.

All plants should have at least a common name labeled on the package.

Boxes can be sent out first class mail but priority would be better for the plants and everyone else.All packages need to have tracking numbers so plants don't get lost in the mail.

If you want to drop please let me know.Don't just leave me hanging.

Boxes should be sent out on Saturday or Monday so they don't get stuck in the P.O. over the weekend.

I think that about says everything.I hope alot of people join and make this fun.

Comments (47)

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I'm new to the forums....but, I'd absolutely love to join your swap!!

Thank you for arranging it!

• lexie1397
    15 years ago

darkruler, I've sent you an email with some questions, but apparently it didn't reach you...

I've never done anything like this before, but I'd be really excited to participate. I'm not sure how to package my plants for shipping without them getting damaged. Any good suggestion and I'm in!

• lexie1397
    15 years ago

are we the only three, or are there more coming?

• darkruler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Looks like your right but im sure more will join.Hey lexie we both live in the sma state!

• greenfingernail
    15 years ago

Hi I'd like to join:
    Here's what I have:
    - Christmas cactus (Zygocactus truncatus?), well-rooted
    - spider plant (Chlorophytum?) - cutting w/rooting powder
    - money plant (pothos, I think) - cutting w/rooting powder
    - Dischidia rafflesiana (a miniature button shaped plant)
    well-rooted
    - rubber plant - cutting w/rooting powder

And what I'd like
    - Chinese jade plant
    - devil's backbone
    - fig tree (houseplant)
    - any begonia
    - jasmine
    -

• lindamcgoo
    15 years ago

I would like to join also heres what I have
    Purple heart rooted
    chain of heart (ceropegia woodii)
    peace lily
    bloodleaf rooted
    I have lost most of my house plants so any will do
    thanks Linda
    lindamcgoo
    email lindamcgaugh@yahoo.com

• sindysue
    15 years ago

I would love to join! But an new so it all will have to be explained to me!!

• chellflower
    15 years ago

Hi
    I'm sending you an email

• pickleme
    15 years ago

I am unfamiliar with how a round robin works but am interested in the exchange. I will have to start researching my plants. In addition to a wandering jew and african violet, I have a couple succulent type plants, but I'm not sure of the names.

Joan

• mmcdannell
    15 years ago

I to am very interested in this and have never done anything like this before...
    Do we list everything we have here? Or? I can think of some that I would like to have and I bet there are so many more that are new to me too!
    Could you email me please and let me know how this all works?
    Thank you!

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

I just wanted to let you know I emailed you...but, I have no idea if you got it or not.

• darkruler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HI Everyone,
    Sorry about not replying.I have had a hectic month so far.I have received lists from most players but a few im still missing.If you could send them that would be great.As far as sending plants you can send anything (houseplant) related you like though you must send at least 4 cuttings.You can send as much as one type of plant you want but that will only count towards 1 of the 4 you must send.I will assign players no later than the 26TH.I hope everyones having a great weekend.

Kyle

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

I would like to get in on this swap plz.
    I have:
    verigated Arrow plants
    verigated spiders
    2 types of Rhipsalis
    Hoya Kerrii
    Hoya Kentiana
    Aloes
    plus others
    what I would like:
    Hoya's
    succulents
    Adeniums

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

I am not sure if you got my list or not....I changed my settings...so maybe I can receive emails now. Sorry if you tried and I did not have it set properly!!

I am going to be sending:
    Variagated Spiderplant
    Variagated Arrowhead vine
    Philodendron (solid heart shaped leaves)
    Wandering Jew

I'd like to recieve:
    Christmas Cactus
    Orchid cactus
    And anything else!

I have some extra's i'll be placing in my package as well...I have some extra things I'd love to share with someone...Chistmas in July I guess! lol

• chellflower
    15 years ago

I sent my list to you in an email when I signed up, but I just realized I hadn't posted the list on here yet....

I'll be sending:
    Hoya Fungii
    Chinese Evergreen
    Mother in Law
    Desert Rose seedling (if established enough)..or
    green butterfly

I would like:
    Philodendron
    Begonia (Dragon wing, etc)
    Hoya
    Palm, oranythng tropical or unusual....

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

Has anyone heard from darkruler or been assigned a partner to swap with yet? I see some I want! LOL

Regina (ladygreensleeves)

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

I haven't heard anything....but, I agree with you...I for sure would like some of what I have seen listed! lol

• darkruler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hi everyone,
    i haven't forgot but i have been very busy.i will assign players tonight

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

redhead what do you see that you want...I see some hoyas and succulents...adeniums.....oh my.....lol.

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

I see Christmas Cactus and anything relating to butterflies is all good in my book! lol

I can't wait....I'm so excited!!!!

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

I had to look up the green butterfly ....what a unique plant....I see Dischidia rafflesiana I have an interest in that as well, as I like to collect carnivorous plants too. I have 2 nepenthes and a sundew on order now. I have venus fly traps and a Aristolochia tailorata pitcher plant. Im thinking I will let my swap partner pick the plants they want. I have plants I forget about like jacobs ladder (devils backbone),kalanchoe's,mother of thousands,sunrise cactus, lipstick plant.....as well as the ones I listed in my previous post. So many plants....so little time.....sigh

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

I just got a look at that DEvil's Backbone plant.....it's pretty cool! lol

Where is everyone getting these cool plants from?
    Do you order online from a nursery or something? Referrals to a good online sourse for plant goods would be awesome! I am always so wrried to order online, you have to trust them with your credit card info, then hope it gets shipped to you in a reasonable amount of time and in one piece!!

Spill the beans ladys and gents!! :O)

• chellflower
    15 years ago

I get most of my plants at yard sales/estate sales...
    also on clearance at Lowe's, Walmart, etc (about late June till September)...

otherwise I just grow from seeds or cuttings I get from trades....
    I don't like ordering plants online/mail order either. I do order hard to find seeds though....

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

Chell,
    Can I come to the yard sales in your area? :O)

I need to find more trades, my stores do not have any out of the ordinary plants.

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

I do order plants and seeds online...and have had pretty good luck.If you use a credit card or paypal you are usually protected from the ones that do you wrong or dont ship,whatever. Most don't want a bad rep. So wont do you wrong. If it's not a secure site I don't order. I get alot from leave my money at lowes and at homey depo,walley world,and tarjay too.Im also a ebayer buyer and seller so have learned how to find those goodies out there. And yard sales ,estates sales,friends,neighbors....I can't go for a walk without coming back with a cutting or seeds....lol. My hubby has a new name for me because of it......I'll tell ya'll if you promise not to throw me off the GW....lol
    I also find that most everyone here on GW are very helpful. There are so many threads to help like how to wrap and ship your cuttings and plants. What is a SASBE. How to propagate. How not to get ripped off by the po when you mail your bubble envies. And so much more.
    Did we spill enough beans for ya.....lol
    ohhh....and if you do get clearance plants from lowes esp. the cactus cubes look them over carefully....they are often very sick from lack of care....
    btw....I went and got the other rhipsalis and hoya today,my rhips are the birdsnest cactus,lepismium crusiform,eliptica,clavata-jungle waterfall,so that makes 4 rhips now and 4 hoya's.....whoohoo....not too mention the orchids,houseplants,shrubs,vines,trees......

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

I wish I had found the thread on not getting ripped by the po on bubble mailers! I sent out a trade today with 6 cuttings in it......and had to pay $7.35. It better make it in one piece, Or i'm gonna be pretty mad!!!

I am a cutting taker too...lol
    My neighbor has some sickly looking peace lily out in her yard dieing...I'm thinking about going over there and asking her if I can try and revive it! lol

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

I don't send cuttings in bubble envies....they are sent in a box this is a link sent in by a fellow GW member and is how I send my cuttings and plants. Boxes are free at the po or by ordering them online at their website....http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h234/Remyo_2006/Preparing%20Plants%20for%20Shipping/
    I only send seeds in the bubble envies and they should only cost you 2 stamps or 84 cents. If its less than 3 in. thick its not a parcel and don't let them tell you other wise. There is a thread here about that too. Chemocurl is the member who has that thread and knows the scoop on that,she even has a print out to take to the po to prove your point. If the link below doesnt work try her name and look for her thread on the bubble envies and postage.....or evan contact her,tell her I sent ya ,she is very helpfull and the self proclaimed resident busybody and knows her way around GW and can anwser just about any question ..hope this helps....
    I mailed two boxes today...one had less in it and was more to mail...it's all in how it's packed and if it's bare-root and cuttings or plants in soil.
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/exseed/con0318045730548.html?39

Regina

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

Don't think I would mail just anything in a bubble mailer. lol
    There were Christmas cactus and Orchid cactus cuttings...so they were flat. I got my package with my end of the trade today in a bubble mailer and it was in one piece....we both lived in SC. lol

Thank you for the links! I'm gonna go check them out!

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

I have heard it's possible to send some plants and cuttings in bubble envies. I had epi cuttings sent to me in a plain envie once too...they where inside a thin cardboard box too...scary...lol. That stuff goes thru machines and stuff. I think of them getting turned to mashed green goo....lol.
    I hope the links work for you....I have all the good ones bookmarked. I read alot of the threads at night....can ya tell.....lol

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

On topic question really fast.....
    Will we still have 5 days from when we get our partners to mail out our part of the round robin or what? lol
    Just checking since the date has passed...and, I don't want to mess anything up.

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

ah-hemmmm....darkruler, thats a question for you. I would think we would,we will still need time to get in touch with our swap partner and make arraingements. Thats once we know who they are.

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

Not trying to push anyone...I just wanted to make sure I didn't have to rush with the holiday and stuff....I don't want anything sitting anywhere.....and, I wanna make sure my partner is happy is all I was getting at! :)

• darkruler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

okay everyone i am assigning the players.I didn't have time to look at lists and compare so i will draw out of a hat rather than have everyone wait longer.Here goes

Sindysue VS chellflower
    Lexie1397 VS Greenfingernail
    lindamcgoo VS Pickleme
    redheadedstepchild75 VS ladygreensleeves
    Darkruler VS mmcdannell

Okay everyone email your swap partner letting them no the swap is on.Be sure to get there address when you email and have fun.

Thanks
    Kyle/Darkruler

• chellflower
    15 years ago

SINDYSUE,

Where are you?? We are swap partners... I need your email and addy.
    I am leaving town Friday, July 4th, and won't be back until the 11th...I wasn't expecting the swap to have a late start...
    I can send your plants now if I get your mailing info today..
    but I will need for you to wait till next week to send mine.
    Please send me a private message/email!!!!!
    Thanks,

Chellflower

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

Ladygreensleeves.....
    Lookie lookie we are partners!!! lol :O)

I sent you an email.....I just wanted you to know.
    I'm totally excited about swapping!!! :)

RED

P.S Kyle, please don't think I was trying to make you get things done before you were ready! I hope I didn't make you mad, it wasn't my intension at all!!

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

whoo-hoo...we have partners...yeah!!!

hey Red, looking forward to swapping.....do you know which plant cuttings you would like to have?

kyle, we werent rushing you, only offered to help.

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

redhead....your pkg is on it's way..confirmation # is :0308 0703 0000 5484 7241

Hope you enjoy all the plants I sent.

Does anyone want to do another houseplant RR next month?

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

Darkruler,
    Are you going to host another round robin for this month?

I thought I'd ask, since a few of us were interested in doing it again......I thought i'd see if you wanted to..or if not maybe one of us could.
    I didn't want to step on anyone's toes by just announcing one or something. lol

• happyseed
    15 years ago

Hey, I would like to join this month again too. I didn't do the #2 due to too many other round robins. I really enjoyed the first one. Let me know, Sonja

• chellflower
    15 years ago

Does anyone know how to get in touch with Sindysue??? She's my swap partner and doesn't have an email through G'web...I posted her a message on the forum but haven't heard from her so that we can swap our plants.

Tjanks,
    Chellflower

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

Sonja....there might be a house plant swap for august, it's in the talking stage at this time. Will keep you posted.
    Anyone else interested in another houseplant swap besides myself,redheadedstepchild,and sonja?
    Chellflower try e-mailing darkruler,he may have her addy as we were to send him a e-mail with our wants and our wishes....just a thought.....just give him a few days to answer he's been pretty busy.

• tehs
    15 years ago

I'd be interested in joining the next house plant swap. I just discovered this forum. The swap is exactly what I've been looking for!
    TehS

• chellflower
    15 years ago

Thanks ladygreensleeves, I'll email darkruler...

I would like to join another swap for August also...let us know if there will be one.

Chellflower

• tina_2
    15 years ago

Hi - I just, ran across this. I, WOULD like to join in the next one. It sounds like fun to me!!!
    Can someone, email and let me know when it will be?
    Thank you, so much. tina_2

• redheadedstepchild75
    15 years ago

Chellflower,
    If you have not heard from your swap parnter by now....if you want to trade with me I will step into her place!!

Just let me know...my GW mail is set up to go directly to my email address if you email me here! :O)

RED

• ladygreensleeves
    15 years ago

we have a new houseplant swap....Plantaholics Anonymous Houseplant Swap #1 has been born...your truely is hosting....redhededstepchild is the co-host she just doesnt know it yet......hehehe

• greenfingernail
    15 years ago

Just wanted to note that the Lexie1397 VS Greenfingernail swap - most beautiful plant swap of the season - took place last week!!
    Exchanged were:
    The most georgeous Angel Wing Begonias, the cutest donkey's tail and jade, and aloe vera in exchange for a Christmas cactus, Dischidia rafflesiana or Ant Plant, Mistletoe cactus (Rhipsalis Sp.) and a rubber plant cutting!!
    Wow! It actually happened!
    Thank you Lexie1397, and thank you darkruler, gardenweb's Plant Exchange forum and all the elements that helped this awesome trade! (As you can guess, my very first trade!)