Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allisonlwise

new: mnf butterflies and hummingbirds

allisonlwise
15 years ago

WELCOME!

This swap is to help us all get those lovely butteflies and hummingbirds to hang out a while in our gardens!

I will be posting partners on the 11th of June and the ship date is no later than the 25th.

Please send your partner at least 5 plants to create a butterfly/hummingbird garden.

Seeds do not count as plants but can be sent as extras.

Anything else that you send is extra. Keep it small and simple.

The most important thing is having fun! Yippee :)

So, here are the RULE RULES........

1. As per GW rules, you must be at least 18 years old to participate in this swap.

2. Signups go until the 10th. Packages must be sent by the 25th of June.

3. Make sure to get delivery confirmation so you'll know your package has arrived safely at its destination.

4. Oh, yeah ... and have fun!

Be sure to check back and post so we can get to know each other.

This is my first time hosting, so please feel free to cyber smack me if I do something silly :)

Looking forward to getting to know everyone better.

Allison

Comments (150)

• diene
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Note to my partner,
    Save the cute stuff and use it yourself. After years of swaps I have a box of stuff that is "cute" but not something I would use in my gardens. I do not mean to sound like a scrooge but just send a few plants and a nice card saying hello and I am happy.
    diene

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

In 3/4s of the world right now, it's the 11th already.....

Just thought you should know that Allison...

HINT!...HINT!...HINT!

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

chomping at the bit, ain'tcha there, Dan???.."G"...but then again, I'm excited about this swap too. Already started getting things...

• medontdo
    15 years ago

man i am anxious, since today i was putting 3 more plant boxes together and it was linda's fault that they didn't go, since i couldn't find the one i knew i had, but danged if i couldn't remember where i had it, well, to say the least it didn't get out on time, so in the morn they will be out, so i was thinking, hmmmm which one's will be going to my new partner. YAY i am so anxious!!

• allisonlwise
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry for the delay, everyone. Our internet has been down all day due to who knows what -- we've had storms and flooding the last week. Ick.

Partners will go up in a few minutes. I just need to check my list and tweak a few things :)

• allisonlwise
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are partners. I've tried to pair people up according to requests and zones and trying to avoid people they have swapped with in the recent past. If any changes need to be made, please let me know. I'll get emails sent out tonight with contact info for everyone. If you don't hear from your partner in the next few days, please let me know :)

OKAY! Drumroll, please!

LindaRuzicka & Dan_the_mailman
    Allisonlwise & Kalena67
    Medontdo & Scouttiegirl
    Happyseed & Tammy0924
    Diene & Lvingdedgrl
    Debbya & Christieb199
    Ramazz & sassybutterfly_2008

Happy Swapping!

Allison

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Ohhhhhhhhh, man! I got Linda??? What's up with that??? She's gonna make me send her some more whiskey, I just know it!!! LOL!!!
    This is going to be fun!!! (rubbing hands together, beginning to look a little sneaky/evil) hehehehehehehe

• happyseed
    15 years ago

Hi everyone, I must be a night owl tonight. I have emailed my partner. I think this is a wonderful idea for a swap.

The weather in Western North Carolina is hot, sticky and no rain... It isn't usually this way at this time of year. Normally I wouldn't be using the air conditioning yet but it's been on for a couple of weeks. I do believe global warming is starting to show!!! Take care, Sonja

• medontdo
    15 years ago

ohhh man, i think it has been starting to show!! people are just becoming aware of it finally!! LOL i'm so happy that we've been paired up with partners!! :')) YAY!!!! now we can see what we can do!! LOL i have some great idea's and for a change i've got stuff on the go mode!! LOL Hugs Medo

• allisonlwise
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm actually on top of things too, this time. I'm usually one to send at the last minute, but I've already got a group of plants that is ready to go. Now I just have to get to know my partner and find some fun stuff!

Allison

• scouttiegirl
    15 years ago

WooHoo-let the swap begin.
    We got a wicked storm yesterday and knocked out my internet. I too have already gotten lots gathered and just need to pick up some fun stuff. Medo I sent you an email with my info. Can't wait to swap.
    ~Heather

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

I'm afraid,,,very very afraid...."trying to look scared"..."L" Remember Dan, that can go both ways..."horrible evil grin"

You're doing a great job with this swap Allison, keep up the good work!

(HUG)
    Linda

• medontdo
    15 years ago

boy all these newbies are doing great aren't they diene!! i am so happy!! tell me oldies are the only one's who do a great job?? LOL that aint so!! LOL ohhhhh man linda and dan! i sooo did not see that one coming!! LOL mmmmmm this will be a good one!! can't wait to see the goodies sent here!! HEE HEE HEE those two are like two pea's in a pod!!
    man we had a heck of a 30 min storm last night hail and all, but it was kinda cool, right in and right out!! not bad at all. didn't wake talla at all, so tha was great!! alot of people lost their 13 news, we kept ours, so that was great, i'm assuming electricity for a bit too. but not here. thank goodnes.. i'm kinda goosy about the dark!! especially if the littleo nes are asleep! man no one to talk to!! LOL and be chicken with!! LOL HEE HEE our windows are tiny!! hope ya'll have a great day!! Hugs Medo

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

hmmmmm, webtender.com has LOADS of information..... (innocently wondering if my halo is on right, and slowly walking away) "la-di-dah, la-la-di-dah"

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

just wanted to let everyone know the sign-up sheet for the July swap is now on the bulletin board.

if y'all are tired of those thunderstorms, we'll take'em here in Michigan. I love falling asleep to the sounds of thunder! But, man, does it ever make the boys want to cuddle with Dad! LOL!!! it'd be funny, if it weren't for their claws!!! OUCH!!! QUIT PLAYING WITH MY TOES AND GO TO SLEEP!!!

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

two of my boy cats were being snippy with each other, so I just sprayed their backs with catnip mist....seemed to work pretty good!

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i seen a black kitty on tv, and it was from the humane society, ohhh i wanted him, but hubs said no, of course we'd all be running around being snotty and itchy and rubbing our eyes!! LOL we tried the different kitty litters too, but that didn't help much, one thing i do know, sieamese, as much as i loved bo, ohhhhh my!! i was strongly allergic to him!! i'd give that poor cat a bath all the time and still be allercig to him. its their hair. it was the same way with his sister. she was a mix, long hair siamese/himalayan. but a real "B" awww meanest cat ya ever did see!! cold blue eyes!!
    did the storms miss ya'll?? i hope so!! Many Hugs Medo

• livingdedgrrl
    15 years ago

Hi Allison. I emailed my partner, and I tried to email you, but my email program doesn't like your email address (it says it's not valid).

Here's my email like you asked.
    countymounties@neo.rr.com

~Jessica

• allisonlwise
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Jessica! Hm ... looks like everyone has heard from their parter ... except me :(

Allison

• medontdo
    15 years ago

well that's bad!! considering your the hostess!! LOLummm arent ya!!???@!!! LOL boy i hope they have a very very good excuse!! hmmmm what could be so important??? ummmmm working overtime??? that must be it!! ya!! that's it!! LOL
    hubs said "hon, do ya mind if i go to work early and come home later so i can get overtime?" as if i have any choice in his decisions, right?? LOL i mean if he's already told them he'll be in well then he'll be in, duh its the dang prison, so i'm like go ahead, and its 80 miles round trip, so its better that way. ummmm as if i don't see him that much now anyhow, but he see's the 19 an hour versus whatever he regularly makes. ummm ok. if that makes him happy. its ok. i'm not going to stand in his way. but dang it!! i want to see him SOME time!!! all i have to say is........ man... i just love ya!! and when i want to get outta town, ya best be gettin me outta here!! :')) i do get bored in this little tiny teeny tiny teeny town!! and the bad part is i don't really drive, and i have a truck but its a gas guzzler. big time!! LOL i mean now with the prices!! LOL many hugs Medo

• christieb199
    15 years ago

I have not heard from my partner yet :(
    I sent an email.

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

Christie,
    I did email you, the first didn't go through (aol's having problems on my end) and the second should of made it. Please let me know if you didn't get it.

Deb

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

I'm sorry Allison! :( I've been out of town the last couple of days and before that, just so busy I let time get away from me! I meant to email you before we went on vacation. I will catch up with everything tomorrow. Tonite I'm just going to unpack and unwind from a day of driving!! Have a good evening everyone!

Karen

• medontdo
    15 years ago

ok i got this off the winter sowing forum on the conversations side haven't tried it YET LOL but you can bet your bottom dollar i will be!! LOL hmm wonder if i can mix it with some stuff and spray it on talla if it will last for a few days, she will be minty fresh!! LOL
    New Use For Listerine

I was at a deck party awhile back, and the mosquitoes were having a ball biting everyone. A man at the party sprayed the lawn and deck floor with Listerine, and the little demons disappeared.

The next year I filled a 4-ounce spray bottle and used it around my seat whenever I saw mosquitoes. And voila! That worked as well. It worked at a picnic where we sprayed the area around the food table, the children's swing area, and the standing water nearby.

I tried this on my deck and around all of my doors. It works! In fact, it killed them instantly. I bought my bottle from Target and it cost me $1.89. It really doesn't take much, and it is a big bottle, too; so it is not as expensive to use as the can of spray you buy that doesn't last 30 minutes.

So, try this, please. It will last a couple of days. Don't spray directly on a wood door (like your front door), but spray around the frame. Spray around the window frames, and even inside the dog house. During the summer, I don't leave home without it.....

Pass it on.....all your friends will appreciate the information.
    Medo

• medontdo
    15 years ago

Happy daddys day :')) i certainly hope ya'll are having a great day, no rain and beautifull sky's decent temps!! LOL
    the plan (hubs) was to go to the lake and let the kids swim while hubs worked for 6 hrs and i'd grill and all that, but its supposed to rain. so i'm not keen on that. i think we'll just wait here for him to come home and then do something. like grill and whatever he wants. :')) LOL Hugs Medo

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

I've got plants to dig up for Linda, but it's raining and only 56 degrees out there!!! BRRRRR
    Looks like it's going to be an inside day for me!!!
    GRRRRRRRR!!!

• allisonlwise
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We are finally having a few days without rain. It's supposed to be nice this week until Thursday, so hopefully that will give some fellow Iowans a few days to assess the flood damage.

We had a lovely weekend in Colorado, but it's nice to be home. While I was gone, the darn bind weed took over, so I've spent an hour now trying to pull that up, which does absolutely no good of course.

FYI, I'm having my wisdom teeth taken out tomorrow, so I'll probably be MIA for a few days :)

Hope everyone has a great day!

Allison

• diene
    15 years ago

Good Afternoon All;
    I was able to get my box out this morning to Jessica. The DC is 01038555749372665682. It did not have everything I wanted to send in it but it did have my plants. I hope to get another envelope out with some seeds and assorted other things but in case I get too busy, something is better than nothing.
    Hope you enjoy what I sent, if you need pictures after they arrive, send me an e-mail.
    Great fiction there Linda but I need to tell you a secret, I also was a terrible history student but since Google happened, I can locate correct answers with a few key strokes. Remember, cheating is not only allowed but encouraged regardless of what Dan says.
    diene
    diene

• Tamar Haga
    15 years ago

had to work all weekend so i didn't get to post but I got my box out Friday morning DC#03071790000090614715 hope they
    arrive ok and not dried out from the heat.
    Tammy

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Allison, good luck with the wisdom teeth. I hope it went smoothly and the dr. gave you some good stuff to take the edge off while you heal.

Tracy

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

Allison, I sent ya an email! Let me know (when you're feeling up to it) if you received it!

Karen

• medontdo
    15 years ago

yesterday and today was a nice day!! in the lower 80's!!! yay!! and tomarrow high of 82 WOOOOOO HOOOOOO ya, i'm not excited!! ohhhh no i'm not!! LOL and we've gotten some inside housework done and some grocerie shopping done,a dn we got hubs a smoker/grill for daddy's day, we had to save up for it, as i was waiting on some money to come in, but alas it did not, i was hoping it would. sometimes ya just never know about people!!! LOL ohhh well. he really does like it, and i thought it would show that i really do listen to him even though he is not a plant!! LOL and that i pay attn. and its my way of showing that we do care!!
    we got to go grocerie shopping w/o the kiddo's once while they were in vbs, then we took them with us to get his gift. then we also got tabor his weed eater. ohhhh man, you'd think the boy is in 7th heaven if there was ever such a thing, as we all know ther isn't!! i soooo know why like shopping with just hubs and i!!! mammy can we get this???? i want that!!! i want this?? can i get a barbie!! can i get a toy??? helloooooo a barbie???? really?? a barbie?? ok a cartoon is one thing, but the doll is another!! uhhh huh!!! i said, honey, this is grocery only, we'll see about the next time, ok. and ohhhhh my goodness my son has hit the perv stage!!! girls are on the boys mind!!! i caught him staring at the b&b!!! OHHHHH MYYYYY GOOODnesss!! LMBO!!!! i giggled so loud and didn't mean to!! tabor turned red, she turned around and looked, i looked at the candles and said ohh my these smell good but it tickles my nose, but she had that look when she saw his face like hmmmm iknow and grinned. she was cute.
    my allison, i never had that problem, i never had wisdom roots even. i am lucky. i won't even tell ya the things hubs say's somtimes!! LOL he's an onery ol fart!! all of 39 now!! ok so i tried the lower cholesterol thing, its somekinda flush. its like 2 c grape juice, 1 c apple juice, 1/4 c acv and you drink 2 oz in the morning. not bad. i think i could do that all the time!! everyday! ok so the one person said she drank 1T of acv in any drink so i tried it in my sweet tea, i could handle it. it give's it a just a tangy taste, not really any difference, only tell by the very back of my throat. so i'm gonna try this for a whole week and see how good or different i feel. LOL
    hope ya'll have a great day!! Hugs Medo :'))

• allisonlwise
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I survived. Now I'm just really bored ... and hungry! Stupid liquid diet until tomorrow.

Hope everyone had a nice day!

Allison

• medontdo
    15 years ago

chicken noodle soup and tomatoe soup is really good!! YUMMY!!! LOL i have to go check the mail, hubs is working the dayshift one more day, i should say morning shift. LOL the kiddo's are in vbs, they were late thismorning, so tabor is really mad at me, dang kids, LOL but ya gotta love them!! i put hubs char grill together last night. it was uhhhh unique!! and fun!! now he's like all happy and such!! although he walked in on me tightening the last bolt down!! LOL that was like weird!! LOL it is really sweet looking!! ummmm i dunno if it will fit outside now!! LOL i might have to take the arm thingi's off!!! LOL so tabor was supposed to help me put it together last nicht, right??!! and half way thru it, he's gone, so i think ok he went outside again, so i notice he's not in the bathroom, so i go outside, its like 11:45 pm. LOL i say bay, BAY, HEY BAY, so i come back in, so i decide to go look in the room, here the little stinker is passed out on our bed!! LOL Crazy kid, so i wake him up and have him come look at MY work and all cuz daddy's comming home pretty soon, and he does, and goes right back to bed. geez, so i tighten it all down nice and tight, and here comes grant!! LOL so we have to get tabor up, LOL he has to sleep out on the couch/bed. we still haven't gotten the shed done yet. so tabor can have his room. i think tabor don't really mind anyway till he wants something to gripe about, LOL i hope ya'll have a great day!! Hugs Medo :'))

• diene
    15 years ago

Good Morning All;
    Where is everyone? Why is there no chatter on this thread? I know my partner received her box because she is refusing to return the earthworms that stowed away in her box. I really need those worms back and they may not survive her climate. They are not the brightest critters so it was my job to watch out for them and now I feel I failed. diene

• allisonlwise
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nobody is over here because SOMEONE had to get all ahead of us and start up the July swap already ... tee-hee.

I'm going to head out today and do a little shopping for my partner. Should be fun.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Allison

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

Hi everyone! Allison, I too, am going to do some last minute shopping tomorrow morning, for my box. I am planning on sending it out on Monday. I hope you will like everything!

We have been having some very nice weather. Temps around 80-82, and very little wind. I need to water tonight though. Things are looking dry. Finally I have a night this week where there is no Squirts/Little League for the boys. It is my parents' 44th anniversary today, so my family, my sister's family, and my parents are going out for supper. Tomorrow I probably won't be around, I have a long distance wedding to go to in the afternoon, but will check in Sunday.
    Have a great week end everyone!

Karen

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

I'm still plotting..or...packing Dan's box..haven't got quite eevvvrrrryythinggg I need yet..."hiding box out of sight"..yessirrr..just a few more things..."big innocent smile"....

• medontdo
    15 years ago

ok the one's i'm waiting on, HEE HEE are just getting ready, and guess what?? i'm gonna send it on a weekend, yes dan i'm trusting the mail!!! LOL and some are perennials cuz they are from MY garden, and some are from TALLA's garden, she is so excited!! LOL now she is looking for the perfect thing, i said what is it, she said MOMMMMMMM, you know!!!!! "as if!!!" i am supposed to know!! she is a mini me, LOL so i think i know what it is!! LOL so we'll hit the store today, i'm sure i know what it is!! i got my other boxes shipped in today from the usps i only ordered 10 of the boxes that have the tops. I think that's what came in!! LOL
    i have been watching all the butterflies eating on the mulberries on the ground, its been kinda neat, so i thought well i might make a plate for them and hang it in a tree, how neat would that be?? although i'm not to sure how it might be if i drilled a hole in it? would the whole plate break?? or do i have to do that under water? or what? LOL
    i made some underarm deoderant lastnight, and put it in the stick thingi, so far so good!! LOL hmmm i'm wondering what my next new thing will be?? i'm loving taking all these new exploring things. :')) the kiddo's are learning so much at it too! tabor made his first deoderant too! AND how cheap it is!! he was soo happy! for those of ya who don't know much about me and my family, tabor is 12, he has always since he was little been a money miser!! and he loves to save money!! takes into consideration things like price, make, things like that. talla, she is all girl, color, prettiness, things like that, hubs- all about the work!! me, i like the homemade and things that are moneysaving and things like that. i'm very intrigued by tons of stuff!! to say the least!! ummmm my mind goes tons of different directions many miles an hour, LOL
    soooo when tabor made his own deoderant and saved money! he was toooo thrilled!! LOL

Many hugs ~ Medo

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

Michele, you totally amaze me...where do you find the recipes for all these things you do?

If you want to hang a plate for butterflies, you can also use a plant hanger, insert the plate like you would a plant and hang it from a branch. Butterflies also like rotten fruit.

• diene
    15 years ago

Well Good Afternoon All;
    I was outside working on a project when the mailman came and delivered a bunch of bills. Thanks alot.
    Then he stopped on his way back down the street because he had forgotten a box (how many times do you think that goes back to the PO with him?)
    Anyway, I am humbled by what I received from Jessica. I had mentioned that Shadymeadow sent me a wonderful loose leaf binder with info about her and her part of the world and that I used it to this day.
    Jessica made me a book!! The book starts off with a detailed description of the plants she sent. They were beautifully packed and traveled well. One even had a flower already, how cool is that?
    But then she told me about her and where she is from. I am busy reading it and we are getting an electrical storm so I will have to finish this later but I am amazed and embarassed because my box lacked the time and effort "livingdedgirl" put into mine.
    diene

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Linda, there just ain't nothing "innocent" about you, your tea, or your scones! LOL!!! I answered all 30 of those questions with Paula last night, and they're posted on that July thread Allison's complaining about!!! ROFL!!!
    As if you all are discussing anything about gardening over there!!!
    Ah well, one man amongst all you ladies equals a rough time for me occasionally! That's okay though, I've got wide shoulders!
    -Dan (Cupid's latest deed)

(grinning ear to ear!!!)

• medontdo
    15 years ago

WELLLLLLLLLL, its cuz we never start a new thread til about a week or so if that til were almost done.
    annnnnnd we dooo have to have someone to pick on don't we!!???? LOL thank goodness ya have a great sense of humour!! LOL :'))
    Linda i just think of what i want to make, say if its sunscreen i'll google homemade sunscreen recipes then i'll go thru every single one of them and see which one i'd be more likely to afford to be able to do, then get it and make it! LOL this past weekend we bought some 50 spf and olive oil and cocoa butter, it had uva and uvb protection, so now it'll be more softer for her skin, and it has lavender from the massage oil stuff i don't use, just a little of each, she loves the smell of it!! LOL and it keeps the bugs away. LOL and thank you linda :')) i did read that they like rotten fruit :')) Hugs Medo

• medontdo
    15 years ago

ok what did ya'll do today?? i hope ya'll had lots of fun!! i transplanted alot of plants!! ahhhhhh some petunia's, don't know the kind or color, and some brugs and datura's and such, it was fun, casey, talla's little friend helped me fill the pots, she had alot of fun!! i was really suprised that she wanted to help me fill them! she's only 4 and just a really tiny little thing compared to talla! ohhh my!! and we worked on the yard, tabor mowed and i weed eated, so it was fun. but man was it hot but at least not humid!!! LOL :'>> now tomarrow we need to clean out the pool, for real and keep it clean so we can actually play in it!!!! LOL Hugs ~ Medo

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

okay, what is the difference between a brug and a datura?

• dirt_under_my_nails
    15 years ago

Hi All! We are back from the beach. Just 3 more weeks till I leave for Hippiegene!!Seems we have 2 MNF going at once. Plus I posted a thread for pics of the fairy/gnome gardens!!!Busy... Busy... Busy...

Linda~Visit over at the brugmansia forum. The folks are super nice.I met 2 of them several months ago.I'm a brug/datura newbie so here is what little I know:Brug/Angel Trumpet flowers point down & datura/Devil's Trumpet flowers point up.

Brugs are easy to start from cuttings.Have heard that with brug seeds,color will be a suprise, but I think over 50% of the time seeds started plants end up white blooms. Cuttings are a better bet for truer colors.
    Datura are usually started from seeds.Will post a photo of one in bloom before summer ends(hopefully). I have a double yellow & a double purple.

A photo one of my brugs

{{gwi:508338}}

later...April/dirt

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

I emailed Christie, hopefully the email went through. I haven't heard from her yet.

My box is ready to go out, and I need her address.

Deb

• allisonlwise
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hm ... today I got my economic stimulus check ... so I finally caved and bought 5 new varieties of coneflowers I've been drooling over. Can't wait to get them. Took my horse over to the lake for a trail ride, and did a bit of work from home. Plan to spend tomorrow putting down new mulch, weeding out some bindweed -- a never-ending task at my house -- and lounging in the pool.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!

Allison

• medontdo
    15 years ago

yes the one thing i do know about datura's is they point up!! and they smell heavenly!!! LOL and mine open up after 4pm or so! yes that's the truth about them being easy to start from cuttings, i usually get everything rotted. well those things didn't rot. so that was cool!! LOL they got roots!! LOL i was sooo happy!! :')) hubs is getting mulch from eskridge for free, a truckload!! WOO HOO!!!! but he wants to put it inbetween the trees. that's cool!! BUT i do want to get some more so i can mulch some stuff!! i have lots more to plant!! LOL Hugs ! Medo :'))

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Hey, did I hear right? Is this the place we should come to pick on Dan?

I feel bad that I didn't get to play with you guys this month. It looks like such a fun swap but I had to pass with how busy it has been around here. I love the book that you got Diene.

I am now at war! I had some deer stomp through my new flower bed last night and they chomped off all of the buds from my lilies that were getting ready to bloom and most of the foliage to my Malva Zebrina. I was so frustrated! I am having a big party this coming weekend and was looking forward to them blooming when people were over. I will be making Galiums stinky deer repellent recipe to ward off any future visits.

Score: Deer 1 Tracy 0

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022