Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

o
new: mnf butterflies and hummingbirds

Posted by allisonlwise 5 (My Page) on
Tue, May 27, 08 at 20:48

butterfly

WELCOME!

This swap is to help us all get those lovely butteflies and hummingbirds to hang out a while in our gardens!

I will be posting partners on the 11th of June and the ship date is no later than the 25th.

Please send your partner at least 5 plants to create a butterfly/hummingbird garden.

Seeds do not count as plants but can be sent as extras.

Anything else that you send is extra. Keep it small and simple.

The most important thing is having fun! Yippee :)

So, here are the RULE RULES........
1. As per GW rules, you must be at least 18 years old to participate in this swap.

2. Signups go until the 10th. Packages must be sent by the 25th of June.

3. Make sure to get delivery confirmation so you'll know your package has arrived safely at its destination.

4. Oh, yeah ... and have fun!

Be sure to check back and post so we can get to know each other.

This is my first time hosting, so please feel free to cyber smack me if I do something silly :)

Looking forward to getting to know everyone better.

Allison

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new: mnf butterflies and hummingbirds

gee...a butterfly/hummingbird swap...what an awesome idea....sign me up!.."big grin"...

o

ohhh ya!! hubs is saying its ok to do 1 more befor we get busy on the house!!! YAY!! idon't wanna miss out on this one!! i'm soooo in on this one!! allthough priority should be a big time, only because of the heat, most of us already do anyhow. but a beginner might not know. :')) just a thought :')) LOVE the idea!!! WOOO HOOO!!!! Hugs Medo

o

Count me in. These are two areas that I truly enjoy, Sonja

o

I'm in!! I love butterflies & hummers! Great idea Allison!! lol

Hummingbirds

Karen

o

count me in too!

o

Count me in on this one! It sounds like a great idea!

Allison, just one thing though... I wouldn't be telling people it's okay to smack you, Linda just might do it for real! She's not exactly smiling because she's sober! I happen to know she's been seen lately hanging out on the verandah, listening to Metallica and sipping whiskey while acting "oh so proper"!
And Linda, don't you dare deny it! I should know, I was sitting on the other side of the table offering you strawberries... ROFL!!!

GO ALLISON GO!!!

-Dan
(mmmmm, 4 days of relaxation down, 1 more to go! YEE-HAW!!)

o

Count me in - love the theme!

o

Dan, I think all this time off is affecting you.."shaking head"....it was chocolate covered strawberries and mint jewwwlllipppps....

I think you'll be a wonderful hostess Allison!

o

Linda, I remember the julips, but I also seem to recall you sipping out of that flask, trying to not be noticed. Then, when I caught you, and only then, were you willing to share...

o

Woo! Okay. So that's 8 of us so far.

I do have to say, though, the idea of the swap was Linda's, so she should get all the credit for that one :)

Dang it! Linda never told me she like Metallica, or I would have altered her fairy box accordingly. Maybe next time :)

Hope everyone has a great day.

Allison

o

Hi All! Sorry to say I'll be sitting the next few months out.Which really sucks as I love the hummers & butterflies!But we are going to Gulf Shores AL for a week ,then we are off to Six Flags for June & then in July I'm off to Hippiegene for 2 weeks. Well be checking in when home.Would like to offer to host the August Swap with 'Garden Junk 'as the theme if that's ok with everyone?

later...April/dirt

o

Dan likes Metallica, I like Enya and Celtic music....he spiked the jewwwlllippps and then put it on trying to tell me it was "a new twist on Celtic music"..giving Dan the hairy eyeball"...

I only mentioned the idea Allison, you're doing all the work! So therefore, the credit should all go to you..."tipping my big white hat with puffy feather at you"..."G"

o

I am in also, need to start looking for red flowers. Hummingbirds favorites. diene

o

'Tis true, Linda didn't know it was Metallica at first, but she did enjoy it wafting out the windows of the antebellum manse behind us. Or, could be she was feeling a bit tipsy from sneaking into the communion wine, naughty girl! She likes to appear proper in her white gloves and big-feathered hat, but get her into a garden and she's just a plain ol' dirty country girl! LOL!!!

Linda, I believe the words you're looking for are "too twisted for color tv!" Anyone know which movie that's from? Get it right, and receive an Attagirl!!!

Now, let's see, on a more "serious" note, we're going to be wanting reds in this one to attract the flutterbies, what other colors?

SOUTHERN MINT JULIP

4 sprigs fresh mint leaves
1 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 jiggers bourbon whiskey

Crush mint leaves and sugar in a 12 ounce glass. Fill with cracked ice and whiskey. Stir until glass frosts. Decorate with mint sprig.

o

I like these different round robins because they keep teaching me new stuff! Here's what I'm finding out about butterfly gardens so far.....

Creating a Butterfly Garden
Butterflies don't need anything fancy or expensive. Just a large, open, sun-filled area; some flowers, for adults; some food sources, for caterpillars; shelter; puddles; and rocks. You might consider planting an herb garden if you enjoy herbs - many butterfly species do too. Reserving a section of your yard for native flowering plants and for weeds like dandelion, nettle, and milkweed should also help guarantee a good variety of butterflies. It's best to avoid using any peticides at all.
One note for dedicated gardenners who may be appalled at the idea of actually inviting caterpillars in for lunch: very few butterfly species cause harm to garden plants. If they do become a nuisance - for instance, if cabbage whites are decimating your nasturtiums - picking the larvae off by hand is a simple task.
About puddles. Butterflies can't drink from birdbaths or other open water. But give them a damp spot of wet sand or dirt and they'll often flock around it. In some species, young bachelor butterflies most commonly exhibit this "puddling" behavior - perhaps the equivalent of visiting the local pub after work.
Butterflies need shelter from predators and wind. Ideal are hedges; groups of small trees or shrubs; or walls, fences, trellises covered with vines. Possible plantings include honeysuckle and butterfly bushes; and for vines, passion flower, pipevine, or hops.

Flowers and plants that attract butterflies....
Butterfly Weed
Butterfly Bush
Butterfly Flower
Butterfly Lily
Butterfly Pea
Yarrow
Columbine
Sea Pink
Aster
Sea Holly
Coneflower
Sweet Pea
Chrysanthemum
Shasta Daisy
Gloriosa Daisy
Rudbeckia
Butterfly Orchid
Violets
Viola
Bee Balm
Monarda
Blanket Flower
Gaillardia
Cinquefoil
Potentilla
Burning Bush
English Lavender
Gayfeather
Passion Flower

Planning a Butterfly Garden
A butterfly garden can quickly become the main attraction of your landscape. These colorful gardens are cherished for the beautiful butterflies they attract.
Besides the well-known monarch butterfly, there are over 150 different butterfly species that may be found in the Midwestern United States.
Butterfly gardens will also attract other nectar-feeding animals. These include hummingbirds, honeybees, bumblebees, and moths.
Select a sunny site for your butterfly garden. Make sure that it is sheltered from harsh winds. Locate the garden in a place where you will be able to easily watch the butterflies.
The plants you select for the garden and surrounding home landscape will make a big difference. You need to provide two types of food for butterflies: plant tissue for when they are caterpillars, and nectar sources for when they have matured into winged adults.
Landscape trees and shrubs may be used to provide food for the leaf-eating caterpillars. Recommended plants include birch, cherry, Eastern redbud, oak, hackberry, plum, sweet mockorange, viburnum, and willow.
Other good food sources for caterpillars include such perennials as clover, Kentucky bluegrass, little bluestem, violets, aster, and hollyhock.
For adult butterflies, plant several different flowers to make nectar available throughout spring, summer and fall. Butterflies are generally attracted to purple, orange, yellow or red flowers.
Recommended annual flowers include alyssum, cleome, cosmos, dianthus, nasturtium, petunia, verbena, and zinnias.
Recommended perennial flowers include blazing star, butterfly bush, candytuft, columbine, gladiolus, peony, phlox, purple coneflower, sedum, stiff goldenrod, violets and yarrow.
Some herbs are attractive to butterflies. Dill, lavender, lemon balm, marjoram, parsley, peppermint, rosemary, sage and thyme are good selections.
Even some weeds, such as dandelions, milkweed and Queen Anne's lace will attract butterflies.

Top Ten Butterfly Garden Plants and Flowers
If you want to plant a garden that will attract butterflies in great numbers, you have to pick the correct plants and flowers. There are two types of butterfly garden plants that need to be used: nectar producing flowers, and butterfly host plants.
Butterfly garden flowers make the sweet nectar that adult butterflies feed on. Butterfly garden host plants provide a place to lay the eggs and food for the larvae.
By planting both butterfly garden flowers that feed the adult insects, and butterfly garden plants that provide habitat for the larvae, you will attract more types of butterflies to your garden and yard.

Butterfly Garden Plants for Eggs and Larvae
Butterfly garden host plants are where the butterflies prefer to lay their eggs. They are chosen because of what the larvae, or caterpillars, eat after hatching. Obviously, these plants will be chewed up by the larvae, and might do better at the back of the garden or hidden behind another tall plant.
Different butterfly species need different butterfly garden host plants. Some of them include alfalfa, clover, herbs such as dill, fennel, and parsley, plantains, cabbages, sunflowers, milkweed, and nettle.
Some butterflies prefer to lay their eggs on trees. While planting new trees just for your butterfly garden can be impossible, having these varieties around will help attract more of the colorful insects. Some of the most popular trees for butterflies include sycamores, willows, locust trees, aspen, elm, and flowering fruit trees such as cherry and peach.

Butterfly Garden Flowers for Nectar
If your goal is to attract the maximum number of both butterflies and species of butterfly to your garden, you must plant a wide variety of butterfly garden flowers. Butterflies are thought to like pink, red, orange, and yellow flowers the most. They like trumpet-shaped flowers and those with broad petals that provide a good place to land.
Some perennial butterfly garden plants and flowers include: aster, bee balm, black eyed Susan, chives, coreopsis, daisy, hibiscus, lobelia, milkweed, phlox, sedum, and yarrow. Some annual butterfly garden plants and flowers include: cosmos, impatiens, marigold, nasturtium, sunflower, verbena, and zinnia.
Many types of wild flowers are also great butterfly garden plants. These include goldenrod, milkweed, nettles, and thistle.
Planting the two types of butterfly garden plants will ensure that you attract the maximum number of butterflies to your garden. You must provide both nectar producing flowers and butterfly garden host plants for the caterpillars.

And here's what I'm finding out about hummingbirds.....

A good hummingbird garden takes more than just flowers for the hummingbirds.
Aside from the nectar filled flowers which you will grow, a good hummingbird garden must also consist of an entire habitat for the birds.
Make certain that there is always fresh water available for drinking as well as for bathing.
Create both sun and shade areas in your hummingbird garden. Hummingbirds need a place in shade to perch as well as to build their nests.
Willows and Eucalyptus trees provide nesting materials which your hummingbirds will use, along with bits of leaves, spider webs, moss, and lichens to build their tiny nests.
Hummingbirds must feed 3-5 times per hour and your hummingbirds may become reliant on your garden for it's food, but there may be periods when there are no blossoms from which they can get nectar. It is a good idea to provide hummingbird feeders hung about thirty feet apart throughout your garden for these times. The best color for a feeder is bright red to attract the birds from a distance. Never fill your feeders with anything but sugar-water mix of 1 part sugar to 4 parts water. Do not use food coloring of any kind, and never, never use honey. (Honey can develop a fungus which can be fatal to hummingbirds)
Keep your feeders clean and filled!

Hummingbird's Favorite Flowers
Keep in mind that hummingbirds are attracted to flower colors and nectar, not fragrance. Some cultivated hybrids produce less nectar than their wild counterparts, but they still make excellent additions to your hummingbird garden.
PERENNIALS---
Bee balm
Butterfly weed
Cardinal flower
Columbine
Coral bells
Cosmos
Dahlia
Delphinium
Flame acanthus
Foxglove
Fuchsia
Geranium
Hollyhock
Lupine
Monkeyflower
Penstemon
Red hot poker
Sage
Scarlet sage
Speedwell
Verbena
ANNUALS---
Cosmos
Mountain garland
Four-o'-clock
Touch-me-not
Flowering tobacco
Nasturtium
Petunia
Spider flower
Zinnia
BULBS, CORMS & TUBERS---
Tuberous Begonia
Canna
Gladiolus
Iris
VINES---
Bougainvillea
Cardinal climber
Flame vine
Honeysuckle
Lantana
Rosary vine
Trumpet creeper
Trumpet vines
SHRUBS & TREES---
Abelia
Azalea
Bottlebrush
Butterfly bush
Catoneaster
Eucalyptus
Flowering currant
Flowering quince
Fuschia tree
Hibiscus
Lilac
Mimosa (silk tree)
Strawberry tree
Wild lilac
Weigela
Invite Hummers to your garden. . .
Jewels of the bird kingdom, Hummingbirds beguile us with their glorious colors and remarkable acrobatics. They hover, fly forwards, backwards, sideways and upside down. Their wings beat up to 200 times per second, and they reach speeds of 50 mph. Make them regular visitors to your home by planting their favorite natives, plants that evolved with hummers and bloom just when they need them. Gooseberry (Ribes lobii, divaricatum) is a favorite: it may be responsible for their early breeding season. Migrant hummingbirds arrive with the flowering of our red current (Ribes sanguineum) in March, another cherished source of nectar. Review the list of nectar sources below to help you choose your next garden addition.

Hummingbirds are an American (North and South) treasure, found nowhere else in the world. Four hummingbird species reside in, or regularly visit, The Pacific Northwest. Anna's hummingbirds are year-round residents west of the Cascades and in coastal California. Seasonal visitors include Rufous hummingbirds, seen throughout the Pacific Northwest, and Calliope and Black-chinned hummingbirds, who are found east of the mountains. For detailed species information and pictures, visit www.hummingbirds.net/species.html (see also resources, below).

Hummingbird nests are diminutive works of art: built with spider web and plant down on horizontal tree branches, they are just large enough to contain a few small (jelly-bean sized) eggs and the warming breast of mama hummer. The nests are decorated with lichen, which provide camouflage. Amidst the tree canopy, they all but disappear.

Hummers love water - they are very fond of mists and sprays. If you plant a garden with a combination of their favorite native nectar sources and a misty fountain, hummingbirds will entertain all summer!

o
virgin mint julip

For those of you who would prefer to try the non-alcoholic version...

2 1/4 cups sugar
6 cups tablespoons
2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 12-ounce can frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
1 1/2 tablespoons creme de menthe syrup
fresh mint sprigs

Combine sugar and water in saucepan. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in lime juice, lemonade concentrate, and creme de menthe and heat to just below the boiling point. Be careful not to let the mixture boil. Remove from heat and chill to form a thick syrup. For each serving, pour 2 tablespoons of syrup and 10 ounces of chilled water into glass of crushed ice and garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.

serves 8.

o

ummmm, before you mix that recipe with 6 cups of tablespoons in it, it should've read 6 tablespoons of water.
here's the "revised" version of that recipe.

2 1/4 cups sugar
6 tablespoons water
2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 12-ounce can frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
1 1/2 tablespoons creme de menthe syrup
fresh mint sprigs

Combine sugar and water in saucepan. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in lime juice, lemonade concentrate, and creme de menthe and heat to just below the boiling point. Be careful not to let the mixture boil. Remove from heat and chill to form a thick syrup. For each serving, pour 2 tablespoons of syrup and 10 ounces of chilled water into glass of crushed ice and garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.

hope no one makes that first recipe. if they do, I'm not paying to get your teeth fixed! LOL!!!

Linda, no more whiskey for me kiddo! LOL!!!

o

I always knew I loved mint for some reason..."wiggling eyebrows"...

That's a lot of info on the butterfly and hummingbirds, it will defiantely come in handy!

o

ya i just learned how much i love lemon bee balm, i think i'm gonna collect all the seeds i can and just spread all the seeds all over my front lawn!! i absolutely love the smell.

o

Medo, nuke the lawn, and your lemon bee balm won't have to fight the grass!

KILL THE LAWNS AND MAKE ROOM FOR MORE FLOWERS, HEHEHEHEHE

Today I tilled under the whole area where my lawn used to be. I'm gonna be taking pictures this summer as it all progresses, and will post them as soon as I figure out how to do so.

o

Hello Dan;
Everyone seemed to overlook your question or are they too young for Steel Magnolias?
diene

o

Oh ... those drinks sound GOOD! I may have stop at the grocery store on my way home tonight! Although Wednesday is $1.49 margarita night for me and my girlfriends, so perhaps that should wait until tomorrow.

Dan, you were a busy bee today, sharing drink recipes and all that great butterfly info and the Steel Magnolias quote! Thanks!

I love lemon bee balm too. I have a big chunk of it in my yard. Hubby keeps asking what I'm going to do with it all. Um ... does it matter?!?! It smells lovely!

It was suggested we all post a little bit about ourselves, so let's hear from everyone.

I'm a court reporter, serial crafter, horseback rider, and officially now a gardener! I'm married. I've got more animals than I can count, and as Linda knows, I am a Gemini and an enabler.

Allison

o

yeah, Allison, as a fellow Gemini, I've been on the receiving end of your "enabling".."still looking for bowling balls".

I'm married, I have an almost 18 year old daughter (hence the gray hairs), I love to write (have some stuff published), love gardening, crafts and needlework. We have 7 cats and three dogs that take up some of my day also...and I don't work..I was a floral designer for 10 years...now I just play.."L"

o

WHOOOHOOO WOW are the Gemini's taking over this month??? Perfect month for it too!!!! HMMMM never thought of myself as an "enabler" though. I am a Gemini also, yeppers I am one of those "scatterbrained but is really smart, loves colors and life, Loves to change my mind and absolutely loves to laugh!" kind of people!

Allison, I don't know if I can play this month or not yet, I will let you know by the 10th.

I AM THINKING THAT WE NEED TO HAVE ONE HUMONGUS (SP) BIRTHDAY PARTY FOR THE GEMINI'S!!!

Smiles,
Pixie

o

Hi!! i'm medo, friendly, a goof, LOL an aquarius, to the T!! i homeschool my rugrats! and love to irritate my hubs, ummm love to push the buttons of him, and do that innocently!! Hee hee, and hmmm love absolutely love to garden w my kids, i learn as much from them as i'm supposed to be teaching them, this was my first year winter sowing, and now i'm into composting, and......i love to do all kinds of homemade recipes,, like homemade laundry soap, cleaning recipes, junk like that, LOL
ummm that's me in a nutshell, ohhhh and i always screw up what i'm trying to say, by the end of what i've typed, you MIGHT get what it was i'm trying to get out!! LOL **big grinn** LOL hugs Medo

o

how can anyone not know about Steel Magnolias? I first saw that movie when I was living in Tennessee, and now I watch it whenever I get lonely for the South!

There may be a preponderance of geminis here, but I'm a virgo. Born on the 13th of September, and it was on a Monday night, not a Friday like some of you might think. Ahem! I've still got the corner of the magazine where the delivery nurse wrote down all the pertinent info when I was born, how cool is that?

What else to tell you all? Hmmm, 42 years old, single, have 2 kids(cats) named Jason and Bump, had my first "garden" at the age of 3 and have been gardening ever since! Love the music of Metallica, AND celtic music, along with the likes of Van Halen, Marilyn Manson, Joan Jett, Andrew Lloyd Weber, and anything that's being played on my favorite tv show, c.s.i. I work as a rural carrier, get bossed around by my 2 boys, and love the beach. And somehow, for some reason I can't figure out, I have a reputation for being a mischievious troublemaker. I have absolutely NO idea how that happens!!! hehehe

Oh, before I forget, I made some mint julips tonight, using just the lime juice, lemonade, and creme de menthe. Y'all need tah try some o' that, it was jus' special!!!

Oops, gotta go. There's a 30+ pound cat leaning on my shoulder, telling me he's in the mood to be petted. And when he wants to be petted, Jason gets petted!!!

Y'all come back now, y'hear?

-Dan'l

o

Giant Gemini b-day party sounds awesome! We'll have to pick a day, and we can have a virutal online b-day party for everyone! Yippee :)

If you haven't already, please email me your home address so I can get it set up in a file to match up partners.

Allison

butterfly

o

I joined 4 RR's in May... I really really shouldn't.. I really really REALLY shouldn't... but I'm such a sucker for anything butterfly'ish............... *sighhh..... I'll letcha know for sure before the 10th. But I'm bettin' it will be a YES!! lol :P

Those drinks sound YUMMY !!! I could use one right about now.. 6 hours at the airport today.. sheesh!

Hugs everyone!
Wendy / sassybutterfly_2008

o

Butterflies and hummingbirds... I have to join!

Deb

o

Another Gemini to possible join.

Just a quick question...

Could it be possible that I be paired with someone that wants less plants and maybe more gifts?

I am a newbie gardener, so I do not have many plants, but I could send some other cool things for the garden and outdoors to attract butterflies and the hummingbirds.

I have about 7 hummingbirds that hang out at around my house. Well at least 7 that I know of. They sometimes let me get really close when they are on my porch feeding.

I would love to join if the right partner can be found for me?

Please let me know :)

o

I would certainly try my best to find you a partner that would be interested in more gifts and less plants.

Allison

o

YAH! another Gemini joins the fray...I mean group..."innocent grin"

o

Well Good Morning;
Sagittarius here and proud of it!! I am self employed marketing a wonderful line of skin care and wellness products that are not only pure, safe and beneficial but botanically based. So both my work and play have to do with plants which I love.
I live in a fairly upscale neighborhood in one of the most modest houses. DH built this house before the neighborhood existed so the upscale happened after the fact. I can walk to the Atlantic Ocean and the Saco River from my home.
The ocean is about a quarter of a mile so we get the smell and breezes and when the surf is rough, we can actually hear the waves crash.
The river is about a mile away and we do keep a boat at a marina on the river about 1.5 miles from the house. We had hoped to do an overnight trip to the Midcoast region of Maine this year but with gas being what it is, we will probably spend more time at the dock than ever before.
I also have a kayak and try to go kayaking in the river at least three times a week.
Have to go now, I walk with some neighbors every morning and they are on their way here now.
Check in later. diene

o

Hmm... well, I'd really like to do this one two, but all my plants are still really tiny, not sure I can do cuttings yet :( I'm afraid I'd have to be one paired with someone more interested in gifts cause I'm really not sure i could do the min. 5 plants :( If we could do that, then I'll probably join in as well, especially since I needed to miss the fairy swap!

But the wedding was more than worth it!!

For those who don't know me very well (do we still have any of those?!) I'm Kathy, newlywed as of Saturday, May 24th to the most amazing man in the world! My husband (Ohh! How I love being able to say that!) Cliff can't stand it if I'm not smiling :) I am also a mother of five biological children and three 'foster' daughters- two nieces and one ex-sister in law- that I've raised. The three girls are all grown and gone now, and my children are 20, 18, 15,10 and 8. Four boys and a girl, with my poor Tiffany stuck in the middle! I'm an Office Administrator/Manager by trade and am looking to start my own business doing remote office work from home. I started gardening as soon as I could toddle out into the gardens. My Grandfather and Daddy taught me :) They were the gardeners in the family. I've always had at least veggie gardens (Imagine feeding all those kids!) A year ago the kids and I went through something no one should have to and ended up having to move away from the town that we'd lived in for four years to get away from my psycho ex-husband (my 2nd marriage, NOT my children's Father)so, I had to leave my gardens and everything in them. I started over here from nothing, and I do mean NOTHING! This yard looked like the house had been newly built and the yard a contractor's special. (Can we say EWWWWW!) So, I've been correcting that :) I now have two circular beds in the front yard along with a large half moon and a smaller half moon. In the back I have LOOONG fence lines and am waiting for the things there to come up along with a gazebo full of plants and a large veggie patch that I have to fight over with the grass that won't grow in the rest of the yard.

Wow! That got long... and as you can tell, I like to talk! At least where I can type it all :) So that's enough about me for now.. OH, wait! I'm a red headed Capricorn!

Kathy

o

i've just made my first mocha joe!! i''ve decided to call it hmmmm medo's mocha joe. i used 2 T sanka, 3 T hersheys syrup, 3 T splenda, 20 oz milk, put it in 64 oz cup and add ice cubes. ahhhh the flavor of mocha!!! LOL and it costs a heck of alot lessss!!! LOL i have LOTS of seedlings, and some that are ready to be sent so you could match me up with one of them :')) talla would enjoy that so well!!! many hugs!! Medo

o

Oh, Medo. Sounds yummy! I'll make a note that you'd be willing to accept mostly gifts.

I officially have a new favorite drink ... carrot cake martinis!

1/2 oz Bailey's Irish cream
1/2 oz butterscotch schnapps
1/4 oz cinnamon schnapps

Fill mixing cup up with ice. Add ingredients. Shake and strain.

Yummy! So good.

Hope everyone had a good day!

Allison

o

Allison,
You could pair me up with Christie. I actually need outdoor things, for the butterflies, hummingbirds!

Deb

o

hmmmmm,what have I done? I didn't mean to turn this into our local bar, but I do like the recipes! Gardening with drink nearby and the sounds of rock-n-roll to listen to, sounds like a great weekend!
Here's an idea for us, how about everyone sharing their favorite recipe or two for a summer drink? It doesn't have to be an alcoholic drink, just something each of us could make up ourselves and try.
Here are mine... Besides both versions of the mint julips, I am becoming addicted to the McDonald's Sweet Tea, and it's sooooo easy to make! Simply drive up, order it, pay for it, take it from the helpful person serving it to you, add a straw, and enjoy!!! To me, it's reminiscent of the tea I used to be able to get in Tennessee, the perfect blend of tea, lemon, and sugar! MMMMMMM! If my car wasn't in the shop getting a brake job, I'd go get one right now!

Hope everyone has a fantastic day!!!

Dan

o

My other favorite "summer" drink is called ... okay. I'm not going to tell you what it's called. Anyway, it's:

1 can of frozen lime-aide
5 light cans of beer
vokda

Put the can of lime-aide in the blender. Fill the can from the lime-aide with vodka, add that to the blender. Then mix. Slowly add the 5 beers, and stir. Makes 5 servings.

(((Do not turn the blender back on once you add the beer ... I had quite the blonde moment with that last year ... this drink is better if you actually drink it as opposed to wear it)))

It doesn't sound that good, but it tastes just like fizzy lime goodness, and you don't even taste the beer.

Kathy and Christie, I've got partners for you both who would like more gifts than plants, so if you're still interested, email me your home addy and I'll put ya on the list :)

Have a great day!

Allison

o

Allison, sent you an email!

My new Husband introduced me to a drink this year. Now, keep in mind, I'm not really one for mixed drinks. I'm more of a whiskey girl :) Wild Turkey, Jack Black, brandy straight up or beer (not that I can get real beer in Oklahoma!)And I don't drink Mountain Dew either. But this drink is really refreshing after being out in the garden all afternoon and evening!

Fill a rocks glass with crushed ice (Sonic or Braum's ice works great!)
fill halfway with Hypnotic
finish filling with Mountain Dew

It's got a light, slightly fruity taste. The Mountain Dew cuts the syrupy taste of the Hypnotic.

It's become my favorite evening drink after working outside :)

Kathy

o

Allison, that drink. Would that be an Elmer .......?

o

Dan, they're called "Strip & Go Naked" :)

o

One of my fav drinks, even tho I haven't had it in ages, is called a 57 Chevy , its:

* 1/3 shot Southern Comfort
* 1/3 shot Grand Marnier
* 1/3 shot Amaretto
* 1 splash Orange juice
* 1 splash Pineapple juice
* 1 dash Grenadine
* 1 splash 7-Up
Yum!

Well, since I came up with the idea for us to tell a lil something about ourselves on the other thread, guess its about time I share my info - duh - lol!

I am 48, newly married 11 months ago to the most wonderful man! We were living together when Katrina hit our hometown and wiped us out. After 3 moves in two years, we have finally settled and are back on track. We bought our home in November and as I talked about in an earlier post, are in the process of remodeling/renovating. I have two children from a previous marriage, a son 29 and a daughter 22, that are both on their own. I have two granddaughters 10 and 7 and a grandson 2. My son and his g/f have been together 4 years and even tho they are dragging their feet getting married, I still consider her my DIL. Unfortunately I don't get to see my granddaughters but hope one day they will be back in our lives. My daughter is a college student and has no children. We have a small dog/child named Precious that is 5 years old. I was in the legal field for 23 years and recently became a stay at home wife. Am thinking I will probably go back to work in the fall, at least part time. I have always loved flowers, plants, gardening and my first garden was when I was about 10. After my divorce from my first husband (kiddies dad) I mostly rented and could never have an in-ground garden. used to do lots of containers - mainly house plants that I grew outside and tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets. I am very excited about owning a house again and be able to plant out various gardens. When I started coming on GW a few months ago, I had just quit work and had nothing in my yard except trees, azaleas and some ferns. Thanks to the generosity of many and lots of my dear husband's money LOL I am accumulating many new plants to create my gardens. Despite the fact that his favorite flower is "a dead one" he is extremely supportive and helpful. I have enjoyed meeting the many different ppl online and consider a few close friends now. Ok enough rambling LOL

o

Well, I have looked at this for a couple of days, and keep saying to myself, no, no! You already have too many plants! But I decided to try gardening for the butterflies and hummingbirds last year, so it is impossible to resist. Sign me up, please.

My favorite drink is Trader Joe's Honey Moon Viognier. I am diabetic and thus all those mixed drinks with sugar in them are forbidden delicacies. Now if you can figure out how to make a mint julep using the leaves from your stevia plant as the sweetener, let me know!

I have 4 children - 29, 26, 23 and 16 - and 2 stepchildren - 30 and 28. All together, that is 4 girls and 2 boys, with the oldest and youngest being the boys. My son was so happy when I remarried and he finally got a brother! I work in a university library doing interlibrary loan, so I always have plenty of boxes and padded envelopes to recycle for trading seeds and plants. We have 2 cats and a dog. My oldest daughter got married in September and everyone else is still single, so no grandchildren in the foreseeable future.

I have always liked to grow things, but since I discovered gardenweb, trading, and wintersowing, my yard will never be the same. I went crazy planting salvias last year and this year am trying to add more native plants.

Becky

o

hi becky, i have seen you aound!! :')) LOL
wintersowing is so fun, now i have WAY too many plants, LOL but thankfully i have lots of yard and lots of friends (rr) LOL and currently 3 boxes needing to go. HEE HEE so that is cool!! LOL
i have a space that is/was filled with 4of the 4x8 boards. i'm down to now. LOL i had more, LOL but we've been busy transplanting. i've been using 72 cell, 36 cell. and 18 deep cell which i like the best to winter sow because they are already separated. and they come up when ready.
ohhh and i do love the sweet tea but with splenda or my sugar does go a little crazy on me. i can feel the ants in my veins!! LOL

o

hi becky, i have seen you aound!! :')) LOL
wintersowing is so fun, now i have WAY too many plants, LOL but thankfully i have lots of yard and lots of friends (rr) LOL and currently 3 boxes needing to go. HEE HEE so that is cool!! LOL
i have a space that is/was filled with 4of the 4x8 boards. i'm down to now. LOL i had more, LOL but we've been busy transplanting. i've been using 72 cell, 36 cell. and 18 deep cell which i like the best to winter sow because they are already separated. and they come up when ready.
ohhh and i do love the sweet tea but with splenda or my sugar does go a little crazy on me. i can feel the ants in my veins!! LOL

o

Strip and Go Naked, eh? Hmmm, wellllllll, it is the weekend, but I don't think the neighbors would be too happy about that! LOL!!!

I was thinking they were Elmer Fuddpuckers. I hit the webtender with those ingredients, and that's the name it gave me, though it only called for 3 beers instead of 5.

Tonight we have a thunderstorm rolling over us, and I've been sitting here able to hear the thunder above me for the past couple of hours. Occasionally I see lightning outside my window, and sometimes I hear the rain falling on my roof. It is soooooo peaceful! This is my kind of night!

o

well, Dan, you'd savc water...."G"

o

Dan and Diene i totally new that was Steal Magnolias. What a great movie.

I want to join this swap too please. Since i have been away for so long i guess I should tell a little about myself for all the new to me peeps. Ok so here goes. I am a momma to 2 kids. My daughter Scoutt is 8 soon to be 9 this summer and my son is 6. they both have their own gardens as well. Feels good to be in the yard all summer as a family instead of cooped up inside. I am glad they enjoy it as much as me. I stay at home for the most part. I work for a few months out of the year to give us some extra cash. Oh heck who am i kiddin..it is for garden stuff and plants...lol. I am an artist. I dapple in everything from painting to photography. I love taking pics in the garden. I am 34 years young. Hubby is a mail carrier too Dan. I put that in the other thread from the fairy swap but thought I would put that tidbit here too.We have 3 cats and a newly aquired one that someone dumped. Happens alot in my neck of the woods. Good thing is he is the sweetest little fella i ever saw. He is super nice. Bad thing is whoever dumped him had him declawed...grrr. We have been trying to get him to come inside but our other 3 fellas keep pickin fights with him. It certainly has been something trying to get them all used to each other. We named him Sampson. My other kitties names are JiJi-from Kiki's delivery service if there are any japanese animation fans on here,Ash-our fat long haired seven toed kittie and porkchop our tiger kittie that was also dumped but when he was just a tiny kitten. We found him up in our truck engine. Everyone gets a kick out of our cat being named that cause we are vegetarians. HAH too funny. Oh and i like Metallica too Dan. Been listening to them since they first came out. I like a variety of music. I love lots of older stuff like swing and bigband and anything rockabilly. We live in an old farmhouse that we are renovating. I have lots of different types of gardens. This year we added in the fairy garden and an herb garden. Next year hoping to finally accomplish my Asian themed one.I do things in a cottage style here. We have lots of butterflies and hummingbirds in our yards so looking forward to this swap.

o
keep the drinks coming

Oh and keep listing those drink recipes. What a great idea. I need lots of drink recipes for fresh mints. I just got tons of new mints for my new herb garden and i also got some chocolate mint from Nikki in the fairy swap and want to make lots of iced cold yummy drinks for the family this summer using them.

Here is a pic of Sampson. I couldn't resist putting it up. He is just so adorable. He follows me out in the yard all day long.
Photobucket

o

ohhh he is so cute!!! i wish i could have cats, but i'd be like the cat lady!! with like 29 cats!! LOL and 30 dogs!! Hee hee but talla is allergic to cats, actually we all are, especially them siamese, and to dogs, hmmm. dunno about her. LOL don't know who's body she'REALLY came out of,!! i mean i didn't SEEEEEEE her come out of mine, only felt every centimeter of it. LOL but sampson is adorable and your his savior!! awww how sweet is that??

o

ok count me in on this swap! I just can't walk away from two things I love most in the garden! :) Plus I see lots of my new RR friends already jumpin' in.. I'm getting sooo addicted to these swaps! :)

I'll write a lil bio tomorrow.. we just got back from a dinner buffet.. gonna roll myself over to the comfy chair and vegetate awhile... hehe

Hugs!

o

hey Wendy, wipe that fairy dust off your nose girl! hehehe

o

Dan the crazy cat and Santa Mailman! shushit! :P

o

Hello. I'd like to be added to the list, please! LOVE the butterflies. =D

o

this really isn't a drink recipe but I use it when I've had a bad day or just want to chill:

Make a cup of hot tea
sugar to taste
add a whopping dollop of Bailey's Irish Cream

"smacking lips"..works for me..."L"

o

Okay, Wendy, livingdedgrrl, and scouttiegirl are added to my list. I still need addresses from quite a few and our new joiners. If you haven't yet emailed me off list to give me your address, please do so :)

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend!

Allison

o

info ladies!!! we need to know!! LOL who are you?? gotta tell us!! we want to know!! **big grinn** and WELCOME!!!! ((huge hugs)) butterflys and hummers are so pretty!! :'))

o

c'mon new girlies....spill your guts..."G"..inquiring minds want to know.."pulling up a chair and propping up feet"

o

okay ladies, tell us ALLLLLLL about yourselves! LOL!

and Linda? feet off the table kiddo, whaddaya think this is, your birthday??? that's not for another 16 days!!!
some people's kids!

anyone want a drink before I sit down?

o

"BBBLLLAATTTTTTTTT".."sticking out tongue and making a raspberry"....I put a towel under them..sheesh...I do have SOME manners!

and I'll take one of them there jeeewwliipssss!!.."G"

o

I have the best cat in the world. Miss Alex
alex

o

She's a sweetie! I have a Tux cat too... his name is Bobby..maybe they should meet..."L"

o

We have an only cat too.. her name is Crazy Daisy. And she is.. seriously. We heard her mewling in the crawl space under our home 2 yrs ago, the mama cat nowhere to be found. So I brought her in and we bottle fed the lil thing... and she's just stayed on ever since. We call her our watch-cat. No need for a dog here.. she won't let anyone walk in the house she doesn't know. She's so ferocious we have to put her in a bedroom whenever we have company over! And she's incredibly picky. She will never drink from a bowl of water... will only drink from a freshly dripping tub faucet. She only likes baked chicken, not fried. And loves bread crusts and watermelon. Weirdest cat I've ever owned! lol

Well I guess I should go on into my 'tell-all' story about ME. Typical Georgia Peach..lol Blonde hair, green eyes. I've just turned 37.. tho I've decided to stay 36 for the rest of my bdays.. I dunno.. just like the number. lol

I have 3 children. Josh, who just graduated and turned 18. Zach, skater boy, is 14 and adored by all females within a 200mile radius.. *sighhh. Kaylie just turned 11 and is bubbling over in hormonal moodswings..and FASHION, yet still secretly plays w/ her barbie dolls...lol None share my thrill with gardening, tho Kaylie does like to make lil fairy beds and entertain the stories I tell about them. I'm divorced, ages ago, but have a special someone in my life. We've been 'together' nearly 5yrs now. And I met him online.. yahoo chatroom to be exact. So there ARE some real ones out there in the cyber world to be found! lol He moved down from Canada a year ago and we're working on the visa junk so we can finally get hitched!

I am currently just a stay at home mom, used to be in administrative office work/travel agent/bookkeeper/human resources. Had a wonderful remote office job til they gave the job over to India...(arrghh!!) Haven't been able to find a gig as good as that one that gives me the flexibility I need to take my oldest son for all his medical procedures and operations. Josh has Spina Bifida. Now with my mom in Stage IV Cancer.. my time is filled taking her everywhere she needs to go as well. So earlier this year I started piddling in the yard.. thought hmm I'd love to really GARDEN this year. That's how I found Gardenweb. Thru a search engine when I was looking up a particular plant. Now I'm so incredibly addicted to this site, I can't imagine being without it! Gardening has become a much needed passion for me during this time of dealing with grief and anger and sadness with all my mom is having to deal with every day. It's become a wonderful outlet for me. If I'm mad, I go sling some hard nasty red GA clay! lol If I need some picking up, I take a walk in my garden and admire the new flowers that arrive everyday. It's very healing. And besides that, I'm making some wonderful new friends on here!

So I'm VERY happy to be a part of all this and hang out with all of you! and I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEE butterflies!

Hugs all!
~Wendy / sassybutterfly_2008

o

Wow wendy, if you aren't the epitome of the sandwich generation!! I have the elder issue but not the children issue so I am an open faced sandwich but just that one half is enough to drive me to distraction.
Gardening is a wonderful outlet and it only gets better every year. Thanks for sharing. Good luck with your beau. Nice to meet you. diene

o

i hope your momma gets better wendy, we are still praying for her :')) just a stay at home mom??????????? uhhhh never heard of such a thing!!! hmmmmmm and i can't look that up either,, man can i google it?? LOL ya know a stay at home mom does the work of 7 times of a regular working male. Dr.phil said so. although i haven't watched him in years. LOL it got tooooo depressing. my life was getting sad from watching all his stuff. i felt sad for all them guys. ahhhh but i tell ya the errands, the cleaning, the running after kids keeping onto them to keep their stuff done cleaning cooking and i don't remember everything else he said. i was like WHAT??? LOL i think mine goes on patience alone!!! LOL these two drive me absolutely nuts at times, he's adhd and i took him off the meds cuz he got to skinny and others he was to mean and yet others....just nothing worked. so i said to he** with it. now i give him sleepy time tea or stress tea, things like that to calm him down and he does great. talla is getting the same way. errrr!! but ya knwo these kids, i just love them to pieces more than anything in the whole wide world!!! WOLD!!! ok here's a thing one of my friends sent me i thought was so cool!!! LOL

A woman, renewing her driver's license at the County Clerk 'S office,

Was asked by the woman recorder to state her occupation.

She hesitated, uncertain how to classify herself.

'What I mean is, ' explained the recorder,

'do you have a job or are you just a ...?'

'Of course I have a job,' snapped the woman.

'I'm a Mom.'

'We don't list 'Mom' as an occupation, 'housewife' covers it,' Said the recorder emphatically.

I forgot all about her story until one day I found myself In the same situation, this time at our own Town Hall. The Clerk was obviously a career woman, poised,

Efficient, and possessed of a high sounding title like, 'Official Interrogator' or 'Town Registrar.'

'What is your occupation?' she probed.

What made me say it? I do not know. The words simply popped out.

'I'm a Research Associate in the field of Child Development and Human Relations.'

The clerk paused, ball-point pen frozen in midair and Looked up as though she had not heard right.

I repeated the title slowly emphasizing the most significant words.

Then I stared with wonder as my pronouncement was written,

In bold, black ink on the official questionnaire.

'Might I ask,' said the clerk with new interest, 'just what you do in your field?'

Coolly, without any trace of fluster in my voice, I heard myself reply,

'I have a continuing program of research, (what mother doesn't)

In the laboratory and in the field, (normally I would have said indoors and out).

I'm working for my Masters, (first the Lord and then the whole family)

And already have four credits (all daughters). Of course , the job is one of the most demanding in the humanities, (any mother care to disagree?) And I often work 14 hours a day, (24 is more like it). But the job is more challenging than most run-of-the-mill careers. And the rewards are more of a satisfaction rather than just money.'

There was an increasing note of respect in the clerk's voice as she

Completed the form, stood up, and personally ushered me to the door.

As I drove into our driveway, buoyed up by my glamorous new career, I was greeted by my lab assistants -- ages 13, 7, and 3. Upstairs I could hear our new experimental model, (a 6 month old baby) in the child development program,

Testing out a new vocal pattern. I felt I had scored a beat on bureaucracy!

And I had gone on the official records as someone more Distinguished and indispensable to mankind than 'just another Mom.'

Motherhood!

What a glorious career! Especially when there's a title on the door.

Does this make grandmothers 'Senior Research associates in the field of Child Development and Human Relations' And great grandmothers

'Executive Senior Research Associates?' I think so!!! I also think it makes Aunts '

Associate Research Assistants.'

Please send this to another Mom,

Grandmother, Aunt, And other friends you know.

May your troubles be less, Your blessing be more,

And nothing but happiness come through your door!

o

That's the truth Medo! I look back sometimes and wonder how the heck I did manage to do all the other 'mom' stuff as well as a full-time job! lol We do work hard! :)

~W

o

Would that make me a Research Specialist in Feline Development and Inter-species Relationships?

o

Dan, did you get your degree in the mail?

I have a graduate degree in child development (3 of my 4 kids are adults and the 4th is in high school). I am currently studying feline-canine interaction.

Becky

o

HMMM thinking now about what that makes me... I have a 24 yr old graduating from college next year, a soon to be 20 year old out in the work force still living at home and a 12 year old sitting at the Lord's feet smiling down on his earthly family here. Can't forget Fox who sometimes (when Im not) acts like one of the boys (yeppers I had all boys so maybe I could be a tad spoiled eh?). Then of course there is my baby boy Rebs (3 yrs old) and the only other female (who thinks she rules the house) in this family (she is a year old, both Boxers). I am going to have to really seriously think about my career degree now that ya'll brought that up lol. (oh also have to add in the two snakes, two taranchulas and one black scorpion to the family also!). I am fixing to be 41 years and trust me I have earned every one of them! I stay at home and do bits and pc's of lots of things... mainly play outside though. I guess that tells about me for those of you that don't know me lol.

Smiles,
Pixie

o

specialist in research and development in human interaction with insects,mammals and ivertebrates. something like that. LOL what a heck of a title. many hugs Medo

in tallas' world cole is probably one of the dragonflies :')) he would be a fairy angel. she likes them to she thinks they are so soft looking. LOL and special. i told her they remind me of being angelic. she asked me what that meant, i told her they glide thru the air and if you touched them it would be just wrong because they needed to be free. she said MOMMMM that's what i said. and put out her arms. i don't remember that. but ok. lol so we agree'd they are angelic. that making him an insect of a special nature. MANY HUGS pixie (((HUGS)))

o

Michele, that deserves a big giant

o

Nope, Becky, no degree by mail for me! Total on-the-job training here, complete with field study, textual analysis, and symposiums with my colleagues. My two test subjects are turning 4 (Jason, June 12th) and 1 (Bump, July 6th, I think). With Jason I have a subject who spent his first 3 years in an abusive atmosphere before I got him last September, and with Bump, well, Bump is Bump!
Bump lets nothing stop him from getting to where he wants to be, whether it's the linen closet, dryer, beneath sinks, or on top of the bookshelf (his favorite place to launch onto my head from). He greets all visitors but one (who has since not been asked back), inspects all electrical equipment in the house (this includes, but isn't limited to, the tv, dvd-player, computer monitor, and especially the printer), and lets me know when it's time to go to bed. Also, he likes to take a drive in the car, preferring the driver's seat.
Jason is the Master of Ceremonies, telling me when it's past my bedtime, when the litter boxes need to be cleaned (even if the litter is fresh and he's just done his business in one of them), when the food bowls are down to provided their last two daysworth of food, what Bump has done while I was gone, and simply refuses to acknowledge other people in his life. He also prefers to be a vegetarian, but we're talking about that choice! Jason does not like his hair cut, is great at giving a back massage, and insists that moving vehicles are of the devil.
Two very different cats, but get a camera out, and they both become hams! I'm taking pictures, and will figure out how to post them as soon as I get them developed.
Oh, and let's not forget. Both cats are heavily involved with Fish Wildlife Management and Training. You should see what they've trained my aquariumful of guppies to do! I've caught both cats looking into the aquarium, where all the guppies are schooled together, looking out at the cat! One of these days I'll get that on camera too!

And now, it's outside to plant the maters!

-Dan

o

LOL dan, your cats sound like talla, lets NOTHING stop her!! do ya have photobucket? photobucket.com is free and its very simple!! you can download one at a time or bulk, i'm a bulk one!! LOL
the to put them here do the HTML code!! use the left one (mouse) and when you get to the rr, right click , paste. then explain your pic. if ya want. when ya push review your pic "should" come up. Hugs Medo

o

I have two orange tabbies. One of them, Squirt, is from the SPCA and the other, Gizmo, was found under a car in a parking lot. Squirt has convinced 3 different dogs that he is a dog. Two of these dogs were there when we got him (both no longer with us). They went nuts when he joined the family, but before long, they were just like brothers. Our current dog, a cocker spaniel from the SPCA named Peanut, thinks both cats are family. He licks them on the head as they go by.

Becky

o

I hate to say it but I am going to have to back out this month. I would really love to participate, but I have so much going on for the next month. We are having 50+/- ppl for Father's Day at our home and I am doing the bulk of the cooking, I'm having a root canal done three days before that and I am helping give a baby shower in the first week of July and a weeks vacation a couple of weeks after that. Not sure whether I am coming or going lol and just realizing that I will probably not be able to give this the attention it needs. I hope everyone has a great time! hugs Em

o

have fun em!! and visit us often!! please!! many hugs to you!! ((HUGS)) you poor thing for the root canal! my mom had one done, so i got to giggle at her for her face being lopsided, she was being self concsience for no reason, LOL i was just funin with her!! LOL yes just onery aren't i!! LOL
a baby shower!! how fun!! :')) what ya doin for the vacation?? hmmm your from down south so hmmm new orleans?? ohhhh man the aroma!! ahhhh the seeds@!!! LOL (slap back to reality) so whatchya doin ya say?? LOL fun or relaxin??? curious minds want to know!! ummm that being medo for sure!! **big grinn** Hugs Medo

o

Here are my hungry hummers. It was snowy this AM so they were willing to share. Usually it is strictly "one to a feeder" and they chase each other away. Today it seems they realised it was a waste of energy to be fighting over the food. so they shared the banquethungry hummers.

Yes, that is snow there in the background. The hummers are tougher than we generally realise.
Hope you enjoy the pic.
Beth b

o

ohhh how beautifull!! i love hummingbirds!! they are so pretty!! thank you for sharing!! :'))

o

Wow Beth! Awesome pic! The poor lil things look so cold! It's so hard for me to imagine snow anywhere this time of year.. it's been almost mid 90's the past few days... and HUMIDDDDDDDDDDDDD You walk outside and it's like a free sauna! lol bleh :P

Hugs everyone!

o

Michele - but you're such a fun ornery person lol! BIG HUGS!

i grew up in New Orleans and now live approx 30 minutes away so its no vacation for me, altho I do love to spend a weekend morning in the French Quarter, drinking cafe au lait and eating beignets, browsing the art galleries and antique stores and of course the flea market! We are going to Jamestown Kentucky for a family reunion and staying in a resort on Lake Cumberland. I can't wait!

I am not looking forward to the root canal - I am such a wuss when it comes to dentist but it needs to be done, I have put it off long enough!

The baby shower is for hubby's niece. It is the first baby being born in that generation. Everyone is excited about it.

I will def stop in and say hey sometimes. I just hate to commit to something that is going to be hard for me to follow through with. Have a great day! Hugs Em

o

i noticed alot of ya'll have pretty kit cats so i thought ya'd like this!
Vaseline cure for HAIRBALLS..... To prevent troublesome hairballs, apply a dollop of Vaseline petroleum jelly to your cat's nose. The cat will lick off the jelly, lubricating any hair in its stomach so it can pass easily through the digestive system.

i used to get grossed out when my mom's cat would cough one up!! yucko!!! Hugs Medo

ohhh here's another one!!
Listerine therapy for TOENAIL FUNGUS.... Get rid of unsightly toenail fungus by soaking your toes in Listerine mouthwash. The powerful antiseptic leaves your toenails looking healthy again.

ya know, for the time of the year it is, show them pretty toe's off!! LOL :')) have a great day!! Medo

o

Hi everyone! I'm Baaaaack! LOL

Well, our honeymoon is officially at an end. Cliff went back to work this morning. It's been a busy two weeks and I've missed all of you!

Updates: Well, as most of you know, the wedding went wonderfully and was everything I'd dreamed of and more! We got some wonderful pictures. I posted a few and more will be available soon for those who want to see them. I'm still waiting on the ones from the digital shots.

I've still got to write my Thank You cards and get them mailed. We've just spent the last two weeks relaxing, working in the yards some and spending time with the bratlings.

Speaking of my bratlings, well, even the older ones were living with us while they got back on their feet after having to move up here because my insane ex kept stalking and harassing them both at home and at their jobs along with the fact that my mother wanted the house back that I was buying from her (and almost had paid off- less than $9000 left) to *give* to my brother because he can't seem to keep a place (ya know, that happens when you don't pay your rent). Anyway, enough of my dysfunctional family stuff (and my rant! :P) So, I had the four grown kids Faye (28, one of my "foster" daughters, actually a niece that I raised), Charlene (my first husband's mentally retarded sister that I've raised for 20 years), Tommy (20, my oldest biological child) and Jarret (18 and just graduated high school!) living with us. The week before the wedding, after Jarret's graduation, which his father and step-mother came up for, Charlene moved back to Texas with her brother (my first husband and my kids' father). For the first time, he is being responsible for his family. His mother also lives there and Charlene wanted to be nearer her. So, I think it has the potential to be a good thing for Charlene. I hope so.

A week after the wedding, Faye left to go back to Alabama to visit her two little ones, then will be moving to Ada, OK in a month with one of her cousins. I think this will be really good for Faye. She'll get to see her kids, whom I know she really misses, and she'll still have family around her, something Faye very much needs.

Tommy and Jarret have found an apartment here in Edmond and moved out this week. They both have good jobs and their third roommate seems to be a stable young man just a little older than they are. The apartment is nice and clean and in a decent area around the collage here, so the boys will be able to make more friends their own ages and will be close to the collage for the fall semester.

Whew! So, we've spent part of our honeymoon packing up and helping kids move. Along with all of that, my daughter Tiffy went to church camp and will be home tomorrow.

For the moment, the house kinda has an empty feel in it with just the two little boys and Cliff and I here. But, it's going to be nice and quiet again!

We've gotten all the name change stuff done for me, and we did all of Cliff's insurance stuff last night (UGH! Talk about depressing for newlyweds!) But, the nice part is that the kids and I will have his federal employee insurances now, which are much better than what we have had. But still! Doing life insurance stuff and like 10 different beneficiary forms was really a downer! I'll admit I started tearing up! But, like the wonderful man that he is, Cliff started cracking jokes. Then snuggled me and told me he wanted to make sure that I was well taken care of should something happen to him.

So, the short of everything is that we've been really busy, got to relax some and the official honeymoon is over and it's back to our normal schedule. The house sure seems empty, especially with him back to work today.

Kathy

o

Sorry to be MIA lately! Our yard has been flooding over and over and over and over again, and we've been cleaning up the mess and trying to deal with that whole situation.

So far for this swap I have the following members. Please let me know if I've forgotten you and missed something. Partners will be posted the morning of the 10th.

LindaRuzicka
Allisonlwise
Medontdo
Dan_the_mailman
Happyseed
Kalena67
Tammy0924
Diene
Debbya
Ramazz
Christieb199
Scouttiegirl
Lvingdedgrl
Jaleeisa

Pixie and Wendy are still on the maybe list :)

Hope everyone has a good day. I'm heading back out on a search and rescue mission now to find my plants that washed away last night (AGAIN!!!!). Wish me luck!

Allison

butterflies

o

geez, Allison, maybe you should hire beavers!

o

HI Kathy, welcome back, Mrs. Newlywed...((HUG))

o

I'm in too Allison! lol I said yes back on 5/31 :P

Wouldn't miss this one for anything! :)

Hugs all,

o

two more days until we get our partners!!! hehehehehe

o

Good thing you reminded me what day I'm supposed to post partners, Dan! Here I was thinking I was going to do it tomorrow morning! Oops. I've got them all done, and they are just burning a whole in my virtual pocket.

Have a great day, everyone :)

Allison

o

Oh I think you should just post them now....hehehee..... I am super excited about this one and can't wait. I do think it was tomorrow though that you had said you would post. On the 10th it was.
I found the coolest stuff for this swap. I have even more hummingbirds in the yard this year too.
~Heather

o

from the top of the thread.....

I will be posting partners on the 11th of June and the ship date is no later than the 25th.
2. Signups go until the 10th. Packages must be sent by the 25th of June.

But, rules were meant to be broken, weren't they? LOL!!

POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!! POST!!!

o

LOL at Dan and Heather....

o

LOL i soooo know that feeling!! i was ready to post partners like 3 days befor the day i was supposed to post them!! LOL
and to get on with them!! omgoodness!! and this time i'm gonna get on the ball with it!! i sooo promise!! man this is just a great weekend!! took the kiddo's to the dentist with me, and they got in with me, it was cool, talla has two teeth growing behind her baby teeth, and tabors teeth are pretty much perfect. i'm getting the tripple advantage to refund my money they werent supposed to take, although they said it was only a 7 day thing not a 30 day, so i finally had to tell him iassure him that if it was a 7 day trial period that i would have cancelled way befor the 7 day trial period. and NOT got charged!! so all said and done, i'm supposed to be getting my hard earned money. YAY!!!
ANDDDDD i can't wait till you darned well post!!!! LOL geee whats the hold up??? LOL pick up the pace picante!!! LOL

o

Sheesh, Dan! I know you're just DYING to know who your partner is, LOL!

I'm just waiting to hear back from Pixie if she is going to play with us. So as soon as I hear back from her, I'll post partners.

One more day of suspense :)

o

Allison, I won't be playing this month, I am sorry you have been waiting on me. I am thinking I am going to have to take a break for a few months. I am sorry to have kept a hold on things, had company this weekend so wasn't around the pc.

Ya'll have fun, this will be a great swap.

Trina

o

Hello,

I think I already know who my partner is, since I can not really trade a whole bunch of plants, but would like to receive plants in exchange for the gifts I buy. :)

Ok, so I think that I have my box almost prepared.

Does anyone have ideas for things that I can purchase that will attract birds and butterflies? You know besides that feeders, and baths?

I am sorry that I have not chimed in lately. I have been dealing with something that I am sure you all do not care to hear the whole story but I will tell a short version of it.

One of my Labradors escaped from my fenced in yard. I was out of town, Jason (my s.o) hung signs up everywhere with no response. When I got home, I made bigger signs and went up to about a 6 mile radius of our home. I finally received a call from a gentleman and he said he took my dog to the humane society. I was so excited! Well I called them, and he was not there.

So needless to say, the humane society adopted out my dog. I called them, sent certified letters, hired an attorney who has sent letters, put ads in newspapers, contacted tv stations.... all with no response from the humane society.

All I was asking was a simple phone call from them, to the people who adopted my dog... and ask them to give me a call.
Not asking for much, you know. I wanted to do this as soon as possible, in hopes that the 'new' family would just give my dog back. Now it has been almost 2 weeks, and they are getting attached to MY dog everyday.

So this morning my lawyer advised me, if we did not receive a response, that we were going to go file suit. So that is what we did. I believe this weekend there may be a friendly protest that is going to be arranged.

Anyways, I guess that was a long version as well. But trust me, it goes in way more details that that, with the exact dates, features of my dog, collar, etc.

I also guess I have not properly introduced myself as well. I am Christie :) and I live with Jason, my s.o. I will be 25 this Friday, he just turned the big 3.0. in April :) I have been with Jason since I was 19. We bought our house when I was 22. When we first moved to our house, it was such a nightmare inside, so the past couple years we have been working on that. And this year, I have finally had the chance to do a few things out in the garden. Although I found the forum a little late to wintersow, I still tried anyway and so far I am loving it. I can not wait until fall so I can have a real start at at.

I travel usually for work on a weekly basis and I go to school on the weekends. So when I am home, I try to do as much as I can outside whenever my nose in not in the books. I recently just hired someone to clean my house and I discovered that is amazing. I normally always found myself traveling all week, and then coming home to clean-- not fun at all, especially when I had all this planting to do :)

I am loving this forum, and I look forward to making friendships while I am here.

I hope all the Gemini's have great birthdays!
Here is a picture of me and my favorite lady in the world!
Photobucket

And here is a picture of my boy that I am missing!
Photobucket

Anyone else care to post pictures of themselves?

Christie

o

Allison, I hate to say it, but I think I'm going to need to drop out of this month's swap. :( I really wanted to since I missed the fairy one! But we've just gotten the four oldest kids moved and back out on their own, and restructuring finances as well as helping them, it's made things a bit snug here with me not working yet. And on top of all that, with gas going up and up and up, and Cliff being a rural mail carrier, every extra penny we have is going into the gas tank for him to work. Would be nice if the mileage stipend kept up with the rising prices of at least the gas, but it doesn't. LOL, you have no idea how conflicted it can be to alternately rail against the price of postage, yet know what a carrier gets paid! I'm really sorry and I know it's really late notice, but I thought I was still going to be able to participate until I got a call from one of my boys last night asking about a loan until his next payday for gas. His check was short due to a clerical error and they can't make it up to him til the next pay check. I'm just glad he came to us instead of to some small signature loan place like he'd considered to keep from leaning on us. Seems at least some of the financial lessons I taught them paid off :)

And on another topic, as some of you know, my new brother in law and his wife started adoption proceedings for two adorable little boys just before Cliff and I got married. Well, my BIL works for Geico and they are running a promotion where he'll get $15 for anyone he gets to call in and get a quote. That's all, just a quote, you don't need to buy anything :) You just call in for a quote and give them his promotional code. If you do, please make sure you use the code that way he gets credit. And who knows, you might find your rates to be cheaper :)

The number is 1-800-342-9070 and his code is 120907.

The bonus he receives for this will got into the fund to pay adoption fees for them to adopt Aiden and Xavier.

I want to thank any of you who do this. Charles and Farah have wanted children for many years, and now they have the most precious babies and are very happy :) Cliff and I called in and got a quote, even though Geico is who we have our insurance with. They have excellent rates for a reasonable cost, especially with him being a rural postal carrier. So, maybe this can help some of you as well as Charles and Farah :)

Kathy

o

Christie,

So sorry to hear about your dog. I have only dealt with the SPCA and I know they have a policy of holding a stray animal for a week before putting it up for adoption. I had to pick up my two terriers (now deceased) when they decided to tour the neighborhood. Several people had already signed up to adopt one of them, but because of the 1 week wait period, no one could take them. I am very surprised that the Humane Society does not have a similar policy. Do you know how long your dog was actually at the Humane Society?

The dog I have now is from the SPCA, and they require that each animal get an electronic chip implanted. He also has an ID tag on his collar, as do my two cats.

I hope your protest and other efforts will attract the attention of the family that adopted him. Maybe your local newspaper will pick up the story and give you even more publicity.

Becky

o

i however will be staying in!! LOL go to lowes for your stuff or even walmart, mmm if you have a family dollar or dollar general or things like that? they have the feeders for a couple of bucks i was like ohhhh man!! if i had the money at that particular moment!!! especially at family dollar!! LOL my mom picked up some cute things for her garden at walmart for cheap. don't know how that woman finds them, now if i look for them no deal!! LOL my sil can find them too!! crazy lucky womans!! LOL **big grinns** ok you know your nuts when you kiss a june bug first befor you kiss your kid cuz ya say i wanta kiss, she says grandpa junebug wants a kiss first!! LOL uhhhh thank goodness they have a big back!!! and don't move !! LOL
i'm so very sorry to hear about your boy!! tha't is really heartbreaking! i know when we had to move and had to give up our dog that was heartbreaking for us, not the same i know but just kinda relating. also what does s.o mean?? i'm not so hot with all the terminology. LOL Hugs medo

o

s.o. = significant other, would be my guess.

I never can find any of that good stuff, either. I have some good plants for this swap, but I will have to work on the cute stuff.

Becky

o

Note to my partner,
Save the cute stuff and use it yourself. After years of swaps I have a box of stuff that is "cute" but not something I would use in my gardens. I do not mean to sound like a scrooge but just send a few plants and a nice card saying hello and I am happy.
diene

o

In 3/4s of the world right now, it's the 11th already.....

Just thought you should know that Allison...

HINT!...HINT!...HINT!

o

chomping at the bit, ain'tcha there, Dan???.."G"...but then again, I'm excited about this swap too. Already started getting things...

o

man i am anxious, since today i was putting 3 more plant boxes together and it was linda's fault that they didn't go, since i couldn't find the one i knew i had, but danged if i couldn't remember where i had it, well, to say the least it didn't get out on time, so in the morn they will be out, so i was thinking, hmmmm which one's will be going to my new partner. YAY i am so anxious!!

o

Sorry for the delay, everyone. Our internet has been down all day due to who knows what -- we've had storms and flooding the last week. Ick.

Partners will go up in a few minutes. I just need to check my list and tweak a few things :)

o
partners!

Here are partners. I've tried to pair people up according to requests and zones and trying to avoid people they have swapped with in the recent past. If any changes need to be made, please let me know. I'll get emails sent out tonight with contact info for everyone. If you don't hear from your partner in the next few days, please let me know :)

OKAY! Drumroll, please!

LindaRuzicka & Dan_the_mailman
Allisonlwise & Kalena67
Medontdo & Scouttiegirl
Happyseed & Tammy0924
Diene & Lvingdedgrl
Debbya & Christieb199
Ramazz & sassybutterfly_2008

Happy Swapping!

Allison

o

Ohhhhhhhhh, man! I got Linda??? What's up with that??? She's gonna make me send her some more whiskey, I just know it!!! LOL!!!
This is going to be fun!!! (rubbing hands together, beginning to look a little sneaky/evil) hehehehehehehe

o

Hi everyone, I must be a night owl tonight. I have emailed my partner. I think this is a wonderful idea for a swap.

The weather in Western North Carolina is hot, sticky and no rain... It isn't usually this way at this time of year. Normally I wouldn't be using the air conditioning yet but it's been on for a couple of weeks. I do believe global warming is starting to show!!! Take care, Sonja

o

ohhh man, i think it has been starting to show!! people are just becoming aware of it finally!! LOL i'm so happy that we've been paired up with partners!! :')) YAY!!!! now we can see what we can do!! LOL i have some great idea's and for a change i've got stuff on the go mode!! LOL Hugs Medo

o

I'm actually on top of things too, this time. I'm usually one to send at the last minute, but I've already got a group of plants that is ready to go. Now I just have to get to know my partner and find some fun stuff!

Allison

o

WooHoo-let the swap begin.
We got a wicked storm yesterday and knocked out my internet. I too have already gotten lots gathered and just need to pick up some fun stuff. Medo I sent you an email with my info. Can't wait to swap.
~Heather

o

I'm afraid,,,very very afraid...."trying to look scared"..."L" Remember Dan, that can go both ways..."horrible evil grin"

You're doing a great job with this swap Allison, keep up the good work!

(HUG)
Linda

o

boy all these newbies are doing great aren't they diene!! i am so happy!! tell me oldies are the only one's who do a great job?? LOL that aint so!! LOL ohhhhh man linda and dan! i sooo did not see that one coming!! LOL mmmmmm this will be a good one!! can't wait to see the goodies sent here!! HEE HEE HEE those two are like two pea's in a pod!!
man we had a heck of a 30 min storm last night hail and all, but it was kinda cool, right in and right out!! not bad at all. didn't wake talla at all, so tha was great!! alot of people lost their 13 news, we kept ours, so that was great, i'm assuming electricity for a bit too. but not here. thank goodnes.. i'm kinda goosy about the dark!! especially if the littleo nes are asleep! man no one to talk to!! LOL and be chicken with!! LOL HEE HEE our windows are tiny!! hope ya'll have a great day!! Hugs Medo

o

hmmmmm, webtender.com has LOADS of information..... (innocently wondering if my halo is on right, and slowly walking away) "la-di-dah, la-la-di-dah"

o

just wanted to let everyone know the sign-up sheet for the July swap is now on the bulletin board.

if y'all are tired of those thunderstorms, we'll take'em here in Michigan. I love falling asleep to the sounds of thunder! But, man, does it ever make the boys want to cuddle with Dad! LOL!!! it'd be funny, if it weren't for their claws!!! OUCH!!! QUIT PLAYING WITH MY TOES AND GO TO SLEEP!!!

o

two of my boy cats were being snippy with each other, so I just sprayed their backs with catnip mist....seemed to work pretty good!

o

i seen a black kitty on tv, and it was from the humane society, ohhh i wanted him, but hubs said no, of course we'd all be running around being snotty and itchy and rubbing our eyes!! LOL we tried the different kitty litters too, but that didn't help much, one thing i do know, sieamese, as much as i loved bo, ohhhhh my!! i was strongly allergic to him!! i'd give that poor cat a bath all the time and still be allercig to him. its their hair. it was the same way with his sister. she was a mix, long hair siamese/himalayan. but a real "B" awww meanest cat ya ever did see!! cold blue eyes!!
did the storms miss ya'll?? i hope so!! Many Hugs Medo

o

Hi Allison. I emailed my partner, and I tried to email you, but my email program doesn't like your email address (it says it's not valid).

Here's my email like you asked.
countymounties@neo.rr.com

~Jessica

o

Thanks, Jessica! Hm ... looks like everyone has heard from their parter ... except me :(

Allison

o

well that's bad!! considering your the hostess!! LOLummm arent ya!!???@!!! LOL boy i hope they have a very very good excuse!! hmmmm what could be so important??? ummmmm working overtime??? that must be it!! ya!! that's it!! LOL
hubs said "hon, do ya mind if i go to work early and come home later so i can get overtime?" as if i have any choice in his decisions, right?? LOL i mean if he's already told them he'll be in well then he'll be in, duh its the dang prison, so i'm like go ahead, and its 80 miles round trip, so its better that way. ummmm as if i don't see him that much now anyhow, but he see's the 19 an hour versus whatever he regularly makes. ummm ok. if that makes him happy. its ok. i'm not going to stand in his way. but dang it!! i want to see him SOME time!!! all i have to say is........ man... i just love ya!! and when i want to get outta town, ya best be gettin me outta here!! :')) i do get bored in this little tiny teeny tiny teeny town!! and the bad part is i don't really drive, and i have a truck but its a gas guzzler. big time!! LOL i mean now with the prices!! LOL many hugs Medo

o

I have not heard from my partner yet :(
I sent an email.

o

Christie,
I did email you, the first didn't go through (aol's having problems on my end) and the second should of made it. Please let me know if you didn't get it.

Deb

o

I'm sorry Allison! :( I've been out of town the last couple of days and before that, just so busy I let time get away from me! I meant to email you before we went on vacation. I will catch up with everything tomorrow. Tonite I'm just going to unpack and unwind from a day of driving!! Have a good evening everyone!

Karen

o
skeeter repellant

ok i got this off the winter sowing forum on the conversations side haven't tried it YET LOL but you can bet your bottom dollar i will be!! LOL hmm wonder if i can mix it with some stuff and spray it on talla if it will last for a few days, she will be minty fresh!! LOL
New Use For Listerine

I was at a deck party awhile back, and the mosquitoes were having a ball biting everyone. A man at the party sprayed the lawn and deck floor with Listerine, and the little demons disappeared.

The next year I filled a 4-ounce spray bottle and used it around my seat whenever I saw mosquitoes. And voila! That worked as well. It worked at a picnic where we sprayed the area around the food table, the children's swing area, and the standing water nearby.

I tried this on my deck and around all of my doors. It works! In fact, it killed them instantly. I bought my bottle from Target and it cost me $1.89. It really doesn't take much, and it is a big bottle, too; so it is not as expensive to use as the can of spray you buy that doesn't last 30 minutes.

So, try this, please. It will last a couple of days. Don't spray directly on a wood door (like your front door), but spray around the frame. Spray around the window frames, and even inside the dog house. During the summer, I don't leave home without it.....

Pass it on.....all your friends will appreciate the information.
Medo

o
happy daddy's day!!!!

Happy daddys day :')) i certainly hope ya'll are having a great day, no rain and beautifull sky's decent temps!! LOL
the plan (hubs) was to go to the lake and let the kids swim while hubs worked for 6 hrs and i'd grill and all that, but its supposed to rain. so i'm not keen on that. i think we'll just wait here for him to come home and then do something. like grill and whatever he wants. :')) LOL Hugs Medo

o

I've got plants to dig up for Linda, but it's raining and only 56 degrees out there!!! BRRRRR
Looks like it's going to be an inside day for me!!!
GRRRRRRRR!!!

o

We are finally having a few days without rain. It's supposed to be nice this week until Thursday, so hopefully that will give some fellow Iowans a few days to assess the flood damage.

We had a lovely weekend in Colorado, but it's nice to be home. While I was gone, the darn bind weed took over, so I've spent an hour now trying to pull that up, which does absolutely no good of course.

FYI, I'm having my wisdom teeth taken out tomorrow, so I'll probably be MIA for a few days :)

Hope everyone has a great day!

Allison

o

Good Afternoon All;
I was able to get my box out this morning to Jessica. The DC is 01038555749372665682. It did not have everything I wanted to send in it but it did have my plants. I hope to get another envelope out with some seeds and assorted other things but in case I get too busy, something is better than nothing.
Hope you enjoy what I sent, if you need pictures after they arrive, send me an e-mail.
Great fiction there Linda but I need to tell you a secret, I also was a terrible history student but since Google happened, I can locate correct answers with a few key strokes. Remember, cheating is not only allowed but encouraged regardless of what Dan says.
diene
diene

o

had to work all weekend so i didn't get to post but I got my box out Friday morning DC#03071790000090614715 hope they
arrive ok and not dried out from the heat.
Tammy

o

Allison, good luck with the wisdom teeth. I hope it went smoothly and the dr. gave you some good stuff to take the edge off while you heal.

Tracy

o

Allison, I sent ya an email! Let me know (when you're feeling up to it) if you received it!

Karen

o

yesterday and today was a nice day!! in the lower 80's!!! yay!! and tomarrow high of 82 WOOOOOO HOOOOOO ya, i'm not excited!! ohhhh no i'm not!! LOL and we've gotten some inside housework done and some grocerie shopping done,a dn we got hubs a smoker/grill for daddy's day, we had to save up for it, as i was waiting on some money to come in, but alas it did not, i was hoping it would. sometimes ya just never know about people!!! LOL ohhh well. he really does like it, and i thought it would show that i really do listen to him even though he is not a plant!! LOL and that i pay attn. and its my way of showing that we do care!!
we got to go grocerie shopping w/o the kiddo's once while they were in vbs, then we took them with us to get his gift. then we also got tabor his weed eater. ohhhh man, you'd think the boy is in 7th heaven if there was ever such a thing, as we all know ther isn't!! i soooo know why like shopping with just hubs and i!!! mammy can we get this???? i want that!!! i want this?? can i get a barbie!! can i get a toy??? helloooooo a barbie???? really?? a barbie?? ok a cartoon is one thing, but the doll is another!! uhhh huh!!! i said, honey, this is grocery only, we'll see about the next time, ok. and ohhhhh my goodness my son has hit the perv stage!!! girls are on the boys mind!!! i caught him staring at the b&b!!! OHHHHH MYYYYY GOOODnesss!! LMBO!!!! i giggled so loud and didn't mean to!! tabor turned red, she turned around and looked, i looked at the candles and said ohh my these smell good but it tickles my nose, but she had that look when she saw his face like hmmmm iknow and grinned. she was cute.
my allison, i never had that problem, i never had wisdom roots even. i am lucky. i won't even tell ya the things hubs say's somtimes!! LOL he's an onery ol fart!! all of 39 now!! ok so i tried the lower cholesterol thing, its somekinda flush. its like 2 c grape juice, 1 c apple juice, 1/4 c acv and you drink 2 oz in the morning. not bad. i think i could do that all the time!! everyday! ok so the one person said she drank 1T of acv in any drink so i tried it in my sweet tea, i could handle it. it give's it a just a tangy taste, not really any difference, only tell by the very back of my throat. so i'm gonna try this for a whole week and see how good or different i feel. LOL
hope ya'll have a great day!! Hugs Medo :'))

o

Well, I survived. Now I'm just really bored ... and hungry! Stupid liquid diet until tomorrow.

Hope everyone had a nice day!

Allison

o

chicken noodle soup and tomatoe soup is really good!! YUMMY!!! LOL i have to go check the mail, hubs is working the dayshift one more day, i should say morning shift. LOL the kiddo's are in vbs, they were late thismorning, so tabor is really mad at me, dang kids, LOL but ya gotta love them!! i put hubs char grill together last night. it was uhhhh unique!! and fun!! now he's like all happy and such!! although he walked in on me tightening the last bolt down!! LOL that was like weird!! LOL it is really sweet looking!! ummmm i dunno if it will fit outside now!! LOL i might have to take the arm thingi's off!!! LOL so tabor was supposed to help me put it together last nicht, right??!! and half way thru it, he's gone, so i think ok he went outside again, so i notice he's not in the bathroom, so i go outside, its like 11:45 pm. LOL i say bay, BAY, HEY BAY, so i come back in, so i decide to go look in the room, here the little stinker is passed out on our bed!! LOL Crazy kid, so i wake him up and have him come look at MY work and all cuz daddy's comming home pretty soon, and he does, and goes right back to bed. geez, so i tighten it all down nice and tight, and here comes grant!! LOL so we have to get tabor up, LOL he has to sleep out on the couch/bed. we still haven't gotten the shed done yet. so tabor can have his room. i think tabor don't really mind anyway till he wants something to gripe about, LOL i hope ya'll have a great day!! Hugs Medo :'))

o

Good Morning All;
Where is everyone? Why is there no chatter on this thread? I know my partner received her box because she is refusing to return the earthworms that stowed away in her box. I really need those worms back and they may not survive her climate. They are not the brightest critters so it was my job to watch out for them and now I feel I failed. diene

o

Nobody is over here because SOMEONE had to get all ahead of us and start up the July swap already ... tee-hee.

I'm going to head out today and do a little shopping for my partner. Should be fun.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Allison

o

Hi everyone! Allison, I too, am going to do some last minute shopping tomorrow morning, for my box. I am planning on sending it out on Monday. I hope you will like everything!

We have been having some very nice weather. Temps around 80-82, and very little wind. I need to water tonight though. Things are looking dry. Finally I have a night this week where there is no Squirts/Little League for the boys. It is my parents' 44th anniversary today, so my family, my sister's family, and my parents are going out for supper. Tomorrow I probably won't be around, I have a long distance wedding to go to in the afternoon, but will check in Sunday.
Have a great week end everyone!

Karen

o

I'm still plotting..or...packing Dan's box..haven't got quite eevvvrrrryythinggg I need yet..."hiding box out of sight"..yessirrr..just a few more things..."big innocent smile"....

o

ok the one's i'm waiting on, HEE HEE are just getting ready, and guess what?? i'm gonna send it on a weekend, yes dan i'm trusting the mail!!! LOL and some are perennials cuz they are from MY garden, and some are from TALLA's garden, she is so excited!! LOL now she is looking for the perfect thing, i said what is it, she said MOMMMMMMM, you know!!!!! "as if!!!" i am supposed to know!! she is a mini me, LOL so i think i know what it is!! LOL so we'll hit the store today, i'm sure i know what it is!! i got my other boxes shipped in today from the usps i only ordered 10 of the boxes that have the tops. I think that's what came in!! LOL
i have been watching all the butterflies eating on the mulberries on the ground, its been kinda neat, so i thought well i might make a plate for them and hang it in a tree, how neat would that be?? although i'm not to sure how it might be if i drilled a hole in it? would the whole plate break?? or do i have to do that under water? or what? LOL
i made some underarm deoderant lastnight, and put it in the stick thingi, so far so good!! LOL hmmm i'm wondering what my next new thing will be?? i'm loving taking all these new exploring things. :')) the kiddo's are learning so much at it too! tabor made his first deoderant too! AND how cheap it is!! he was soo happy! for those of ya who don't know much about me and my family, tabor is 12, he has always since he was little been a money miser!! and he loves to save money!! takes into consideration things like price, make, things like that. talla, she is all girl, color, prettiness, things like that, hubs- all about the work!! me, i like the homemade and things that are moneysaving and things like that. i'm very intrigued by tons of stuff!! to say the least!! ummmm my mind goes tons of different directions many miles an hour, LOL
soooo when tabor made his own deoderant and saved money! he was toooo thrilled!! LOL

Many hugs ~ Medo

o

Michele, you totally amaze me...where do you find the recipes for all these things you do?

If you want to hang a plate for butterflies, you can also use a plant hanger, insert the plate like you would a plant and hang it from a branch. Butterflies also like rotten fruit.

o

Well Good Afternoon All;
I was outside working on a project when the mailman came and delivered a bunch of bills. Thanks alot.
Then he stopped on his way back down the street because he had forgotten a box (how many times do you think that goes back to the PO with him?)
Anyway, I am humbled by what I received from Jessica. I had mentioned that Shadymeadow sent me a wonderful loose leaf binder with info about her and her part of the world and that I used it to this day.
Jessica made me a book!! The book starts off with a detailed description of the plants she sent. They were beautifully packed and traveled well. One even had a flower already, how cool is that?
But then she told me about her and where she is from. I am busy reading it and we are getting an electrical storm so I will have to finish this later but I am amazed and embarassed because my box lacked the time and effort "livingdedgirl" put into mine.
diene

o

Linda, there just ain't nothing "innocent" about you, your tea, or your scones! LOL!!! I answered all 30 of those questions with Paula last night, and they're posted on that July thread Allison's complaining about!!! ROFL!!!
As if you all are discussing anything about gardening over there!!!
Ah well, one man amongst all you ladies equals a rough time for me occasionally! That's okay though, I've got wide shoulders!
-Dan (Cupid's latest deed)

(grinning ear to ear!!!)

o

WELLLLLLLLLL, its cuz we never start a new thread til about a week or so if that til were almost done.
annnnnnd we dooo have to have someone to pick on don't we!!???? LOL thank goodness ya have a great sense of humour!! LOL :'))
Linda i just think of what i want to make, say if its sunscreen i'll google homemade sunscreen recipes then i'll go thru every single one of them and see which one i'd be more likely to afford to be able to do, then get it and make it! LOL this past weekend we bought some 50 spf and olive oil and cocoa butter, it had uva and uvb protection, so now it'll be more softer for her skin, and it has lavender from the massage oil stuff i don't use, just a little of each, she loves the smell of it!! LOL and it keeps the bugs away. LOL and thank you linda :')) i did read that they like rotten fruit :')) Hugs Medo

o

ok what did ya'll do today?? i hope ya'll had lots of fun!! i transplanted alot of plants!! ahhhhhh some petunia's, don't know the kind or color, and some brugs and datura's and such, it was fun, casey, talla's little friend helped me fill the pots, she had alot of fun!! i was really suprised that she wanted to help me fill them! she's only 4 and just a really tiny little thing compared to talla! ohhh my!! and we worked on the yard, tabor mowed and i weed eated, so it was fun. but man was it hot but at least not humid!!! LOL :'>> now tomarrow we need to clean out the pool, for real and keep it clean so we can actually play in it!!!! LOL Hugs ~ Medo

o

okay, what is the difference between a brug and a datura?

o

Hi All! We are back from the beach. Just 3 more weeks till I leave for Hippiegene!!Seems we have 2 MNF going at once. Plus I posted a thread for pics of the fairy/gnome gardens!!!Busy... Busy... Busy...

Linda~Visit over at the brugmansia forum. The folks are super nice.I met 2 of them several months ago.I'm a brug/datura newbie so here is what little I know:Brug/Angel Trumpet flowers point down & datura/Devil's Trumpet flowers point up.

Brugs are easy to start from cuttings.Have heard that with brug seeds,color will be a suprise, but I think over 50% of the time seeds started plants end up white blooms. Cuttings are a better bet for truer colors.
Datura are usually started from seeds.Will post a photo of one in bloom before summer ends(hopefully). I have a double yellow & a double purple.

A photo one of my brugs

later...April/dirt

o

I emailed Christie, hopefully the email went through. I haven't heard from her yet.

My box is ready to go out, and I need her address.

Deb

o

Hm ... today I got my economic stimulus check ... so I finally caved and bought 5 new varieties of coneflowers I've been drooling over. Can't wait to get them. Took my horse over to the lake for a trail ride, and did a bit of work from home. Plan to spend tomorrow putting down new mulch, weeding out some bindweed -- a never-ending task at my house -- and lounging in the pool.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!

Allison

o

yes the one thing i do know about datura's is they point up!! and they smell heavenly!!! LOL and mine open up after 4pm or so! yes that's the truth about them being easy to start from cuttings, i usually get everything rotted. well those things didn't rot. so that was cool!! LOL they got roots!! LOL i was sooo happy!! :')) hubs is getting mulch from eskridge for free, a truckload!! WOO HOO!!!! but he wants to put it inbetween the trees. that's cool!! BUT i do want to get some more so i can mulch some stuff!! i have lots more to plant!! LOL Hugs ! Medo :'))

o

Hey, did I hear right? Is this the place we should come to pick on Dan?

Photobucket

I feel bad that I didn't get to play with you guys this month. It looks like such a fun swap but I had to pass with how busy it has been around here. I love the book that you got Diene.

I am now at war! I had some deer stomp through my new flower bed last night and they chomped off all of the buds from my lilies that were getting ready to bloom and most of the foliage to my Malva Zebrina. I was so frustrated! I am having a big party this coming weekend and was looking forward to them blooming when people were over. I will be making Galiums stinky deer repellent recipe to ward off any future visits.

Score: Deer 1 Tracy 0

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here