Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

NEW: Seeds & Stitches June Charm Exchange

dan_the_mailman
13 years ago

Okay, here we go again with another charm exchange. What exactly is a charm? It is a piece of fabric 5" x5", and can be pre-washed if you so choose. I'm gonna keep the rules simple, so here goes...

Anyone 18 or older can sign up.

You may choose to send either 5 or 10 charms to your partner(s).

You may choose to send to 1, 2, or 3 partners.

You may sign up for this swap until midnight on June 4th. Partners will be announced no later than June 6th.

When you sign up for this swap, please post how many charms you'd like to send to your partners, and how many partners you'd like to send them to.

The fabric should be a cotton or cotton blend, and there should be at least 1 or 2 floral patterns included in the charms you send. After all, this is the garden web...

I think that about covers it. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask them.

Peace.

Dan & Co.

Comments (52)

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

I'll trade 10 charms with one partner. If that throws off the count once everyone has signed up, just drop my name. That is totally okay.
    I guess I should go back to the May Charm Swap and post who has received so far... off to do that before I log off.
    Jeanne

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jeanne, you won't need to be dropped, and the count won't be off, don't worry about that. I'm gonna wait until I see how many people want to trade how many charms with how many others before I decide what I'm going to trade. I want to make sure that everyone who signs up will be able to do some trading. I may have to take a day off from work to do some extra cutting, but "cough, cough" what's a sick day for if you can't enjoy it when you're healthy, right? >

So far we've got...
    Me, dan_the_mailman (?)(?)
    lindaruzicka (10)(2)
    hazelnutbunny (10)(2)
    sandlapper_rose (10)(1)
    The first number being the number of charms offered, and the second being how many partners each person wants. This is going to be a lot of fun!

-Dan

• faintheart
    13 years ago

I am going to be gone to a conference from 6-5 to 6-12. I would love to take two partners with 10 charms each but I won't be able to send until I get back since the 6th is the "reveal" date. May I still play please?

Dee

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Me too, I'll do 10 charms for two partners this time.
    Is there a specific mail by date?
    My access to the PO is sometimes just one day a week between my work schedule and their short hours.
    bethb

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Beth, I completely forgot to mention a send-by date, didn't I! Thank you for mentioning it! Since this is such a busy time for us all, and Dee is going to be out of town for a few days, let's say that all charms need to be mailed out by June 19th, which is a Saturday, shall we? And, whoever intends to host the next swap can post it while we're working on sending out our fabric from this swap. Will that work out okay for everyone?

List of players...
    Me, dan_the_mailman (?)(?)
    lindaruzicka (10)(2)
    hazelnutbunny (10)(2)
    sandlapper_rose (10)(1)
    faintheart (10)(2)
    beth_b_kodiak (10)(2

Dates to Remember...
    June 4th: Sign-ups end at midnight
    June 6th: Partners are announced
    June 19th: All charms should be mailed

• wynative
    13 years ago

Count me in :) I will take 2 or 3 partners @ 10 each.

Marie

• gmom2-6boys
    13 years ago

Dan, I want to be charmed, again. I'll go for 3 and 10.

Thanks everyone for playing, this is such fun.

Dee, I loved the paper you sent with mine charms and I will plan on making it block by block as the charms come in.

gmom

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

List of players...
    Me, dan_the_mailman (waiting to see what needs to be balanced out)
    lindaruzicka (10)(2)
    hazelnutbunny (10)(2)
    sandlapper_rose (10)(1)
    faintheart (10)(2)
    beth_b_kodiak (10)(2)
    wynative (10) (2 or 3)
    gmom (10) (3)

Dates to Remember...
    June 4th: Sign-ups end at midnight

Hope everyone is doing well and has a wonderful, safe Memorial Day Week-end!

Peace.
    -Dan

• gmom2-6boys
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    I am ready for the June Charms!!! I'm not bragging or anything but my Charms are cut and ready for a name, unless some of my names have a special request.
    I'm really trying to keep up and not get behind on anything, that is my resolution for 2010. I't been hard to keep things going but I'm trying and this month has been the best all year.
    Anyway I just wanted to say, "HI EVERYONE".
    Have a good and safe holiday.
    gmom

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

You're an inspiration to us all...I have some of the material picked out, does that count????

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

I'm with Linda here. I have picked out material. Now, If I got certain partners, I might have different choices that would be interesting to them and would change accordingly.
    BTW I was tickled with the blocks that I got from the gals on G'mom's last swap.
    G'mom, if i ever thought I was not behind I'd be worried about figuring out what I had forgotten. HI, back to you and all.

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just a quick update before the weekend. We've got plenty of players (more are always welcome!) so I'm gonna go ahead and send 10 charms to 3 people also. If anyone wants to change the number of people they'd like to send to, go ahead. Just post it here, okay?

The Updated List...
    List of players...
    Me, dan_the_mailman (10) (3)
    lindaruzicka (10)(2)
    hazelnutbunny (10)(2)
    sandlapper_rose (10)(1)
    faintheart (10)(2)
    beth_b_kodiak (10)(2)
    wynative (10) (2 or 3)
    gmom (10) (3)

Dates to Remember...
    June 4th: Sign-ups end at midnight (just 1 week away!)

wynative, how many partners would you like?

Peace.
    -Dan

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've got a preliminary list made up, with wynative taking 2 partners.
    IF you wish, I'll post it early, closing sign-ups, and leaving June 19th as the final date for mailing out all the charms. I'll wait until Monday to let everyone have a chance to post their wishes, then we'll go with the majority of everyone who posts. Once the list is posted, it'll be up to everyone to send their address to the persons sending them charms.

What would you like to do?

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Posting early sounds fine to me.
    I'd like to see some more people joining in here but can't think of any real bright idea to attract them.
    This may just be the wrong season for new quilters and I believe we have most of the available regulars.
    Just my two cents worth
    beth

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

it's a nice mix so I say go ahead and post early

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ANNOUNCING PARTNERS...ANNOUNCING PARTNERS...ANNOUNCING PARTNERS

I think we've pretty much got all of our players, and in the interests of giving us all a bit more time, I've decided to go ahead and post partners. We've all elected to send 10 charms to each person, which is cool! We all have until June 19th to get our charms in the mail. Please remember to post when you send out your charms, and when you receive them. So, (drumroll please) here they are...

dan_the_mailman sends to wynative, faintheart, and sandlapper_rose
    gmom sends to dan_the_mailman, hazelnutbunny, and beth_b_kokiak
    sandlapper_rose sends to faintheart
    lindaruzicka sends to gmom and hazelnutbunny
    hazelnutbunny sends to lindaruzicka and dan_the_mailman
    faintheart sends to lindaruzicka and dan_the_mailman
    beth_b_kodiak sends to wynative and gmom
    wynative sends to gmom and beth_b_kodiak

PLEASE take a moment to look this over. You should be sending to the same number of people you are receiving from. Let me know if you find any mistakes and I'll correct them.

Peace.
    -Dan

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

Goodie!!! Partners!!!!!

• hazelnutbunny
    13 years ago

Wheeee! Here we go!
    I get to send to 2 of my favorite peoples!! :D

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Anyone get to send out their charms yet?

• gmom2-6boys
    13 years ago

Yes, My Charms went out in Wednesday,s mail. So Dan, Hazelnut, and Beth be looking in your mail box. You are being CHARMED !

Dan may even get his today.

Everbody have a great day!
    gmom

• hazelnutbunny
    13 years ago

My charms went out today! I tried to send a good mix, so I hope ya'll like them. :o)

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

I mailed my charms this morning. I hope they reach faintheart without any problem.
    Jeanne

• justdoitnow
    13 years ago

I can take 2 for 10

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

justdoitnow, we're already sending out charms in this swap, but if you'd like, I'll swap 10 charms with you if you don't want to wait for the next swap. e-mail me for my address, okay?

on another note, I received 10 great charms from gmom today! Thanks Jeanne, you sent a great selection! I'm thinking of using the charms from this swap and last months' to make a table-runner. that would look too cool!

peace.
    -dan

• justdoitnow
    13 years ago

Thanks Dan, I'll wait for the next swap.

• hazelnutbunny
    13 years ago

I was charmed by Sharon today! She sent a great selection, some pretty florals & some patriotic prints. Love them!
    Thanks, Sharon! :D

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

just a quick update on how things are going. please don't forget to post when you send and receive. thanks everyone!

Me, dan_the_mailman (10) (3)
    lindaruzicka (10)(2)
    hazelnutbunny (10)(2) SENT
    sandlapper_rose (10)(1) SENT
    faintheart (10)(2)
    beth_b_kodiak (10)(2)
    wynative (10) (2 or 3)
    gmom (10) (3) SENT

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Melissa, I received a great looking assortment of charms today, thanks to you!!! Those are going to look great in the table runner I'm going to make! Thank You!!!

-Dan

• faintheart
    13 years ago

Hi all!

*waving from the Twin Cities* Jeanne, my daughter says that your package arrived and I will open when I get home late Saturday. It's been raining since I arrived here Saturday. Not that it matters much as I am in classes all day, every day but I am not comfortable driving in the metro area when it is pouring rain so the hotel and immediate area restaurants are liking me. lol

Hopefully the weather will dry out a bit and I can hit a few fabric shops and garden centers before the week's end.

Linda, I do need your mailing address when you have time.

I will get your packages out, Linda and Dan, next Monday after I get back home.

Hope everyone is having a great week!

Dee

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dee, you can send all that rain this way, we need it. The local apple-growers just announced that there's going to be a 70% crop failure due to a late hard frost. The weather certainly is strange this year! The good news though is that the local vineyards are going to have a bumper crop this year, so bring on the cheese, we've got some bubbly to enjoy!
    Tonight I cut out a lot of charms and got a lot of sewing done on the tablerunner I'm making with all of these charms. It looks great, thank you all! My charms will be in the mail tomorrow, so Jeanne, Marie, and Dee, be watching for them!
    Good night kids, I'm hitting the hay...

Peace.
    -Dan

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

I received my charms from Bunny yesterday..what a wonderful assortment! It even had a bunny square in it!! How cute is that? Thanks a bunch, Bunny!

I'll be sending mine out within the next two days. I have some material sorting to do so I can just cut while I'm doing it.

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

I received my Charms from G'mom a couple days ago. Sorry for the delay in posting but work has been a bit crazy and that tends to get me even crazier than my normal ;(
    A really nice assortment of patriotics and what I see as vintage/ repros. I'm partial to both so they're great.
    Best of all was the perfect timing of the card and verse.... one that I've been trying hard to live by for the past few years.
    hugs
    Beth

• wynative
    13 years ago

Sorry late in posting -

Sharon & Beth - your charms went out on Wednesday.

Marie

• gmom2-6boys
    13 years ago

Hi All,

I hope you are doing good and enjoying your charms and seeds. My flower seed is ready to be planted out. The veggies are all in place. I have about 12 containers that has not sprouted. I think I'm good with 46.

Thanks to wynative as she has CHARMED me. A great selection of colors and when I get 2 more I will start putting my blocks togeather. Thanks Marie.

You all have a great evening.
    Sharon
    gmom

• wynative
    13 years ago

Sharon, glad to hear they arrived & your happy with the colors :)

WAHOOO!!! The sun is FINALLY shining here! Not sure how much rain we have got all together but as of Thursday, a friends gage was at 2 1/2" and with a steady flow for the past 3 days - we have to be over 5" easy :0 The high temp yesterday was 62 BRRRRRR but my veggy's & flowers are loving it and when it warms up they should do great. I have 3 roses that are showing color in the blossoms - can't wait to see them :)

Have a great week everyone,
    Marie

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

here's where we are now... keep posting when your charms arrive.

Me, dan_the_mailman (10) (3) SENT
    lindaruzicka (10)(2)
    faintheart (10)(2)
    beth_b_kodiak (10)(2)
    wynative (10) (2) SENT
    gmom (10) (3) SENT

if you've sent out your charms and I left you out, please say so and I'll update it again. thanks!

Peace.
    -Dan & the Wee Beasties

• wynative
    13 years ago

Dan,
    I recieved my charms today - thanks so much! The colors are great :)

Marie

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

Dan,
    I received my charms today also. Thanks so much and thanks for being our host. Gotta love blue --- and I also admired the cat stamps on the envelope!
    Jeanne

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Marie, the sun got to you two days before it got here but man am I glad to see it. The town seemed to come to life overnight. What a change and so good to see.
    Your charms arrived and I love the batiks. Very nice colors and I think several will be going into some of the fat hen blocks I am planning for.
    I'm off work tomorrow and will be mailing to G'mom and Marie.
    Hope all are well and enjoying nice weather.
    Bethb

• faintheart
    13 years ago

Hi all!

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying some beautiful weather! Been raining alot here so every bit of sunshine must be taken advantage of...the weeds sure are!!!

Linda and Dan, your packages are finally on their way. I had to play catch up at work but luckily have Fridays off to catch up on things at home!

I want to thank you, Jeanne and Dan for "charming" me with the fun packages I got to open when I returned home! Jeanne, the quilt themed ones are so cute and unique. Dan, love the blues too. *listening to some Clapton tunes*

It's too muddy from this morning's thunderbursts so I am off to try a new quilt block and work on a wall hanging...

Dee

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

Bunny and Gmom! Your charms are out the door and on their way. I included a few extra since I was late...thanks for your patience! ((HUG))

• gmom2-6boys
    13 years ago

Hi All,

I've been charmed by Beth. Thank You Beth!!! What a wonderful selection. I all most don't want to cut them because of the design. Thanks Beth.
    Does anyone know what they are making out of there charms. I'm putting my charms into blocks and then when we are done with charms we will see how many blocks I have.
    For every 10 charms I send out, I also cut me a set. Just to add to the amount of charms.
    Are we going to go for CHARMS in JULY? Who will host?

Have a great evening everyone!!!!
    gmom

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's been awhile since I've updated the "sent" list, so, here goes...

Me, dan_the_mailman (10) (3) SENT
    lindaruzicka (10)(2) SENT
    faintheart (10)(2) SENT
    beth_b_kodiak (10)(2) SENT
    wynative (10) (2) SENT
    gmom (10) (3) SENT

and that means that everyone has sent out their charms! ((insert applause here))

GREAT JOB EVERYONE!!!

Gmom, to answer your first question, I am making a charm table cloth. I've been laying out the charms as I've received them, and with all the different fabrics going into it, it's gonna look fantastic when I'm done! Sending charms for a few months was a great idea!

And, since all the charms for this month have been sent out and we're waiting for the last of them to arrive at their forever homes, who's hosting next month?

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dee, I received the charms you sent today, and they are fantastic! I love all the blues, they go great with the other blocks I've received and will make a great table runner! I had planned on backing it with a solid piece of fabric, but now I think I'll use that pattern you sent, making it a reversible one. Then, during the fall/winter, I'll use the other pattern for a quilt. Truly a very cool and fun-filled package! THANK YOU!!

Peace.
    -Dan & the Wee Beasties

p.s. Speaking of the WBs, they both "helped" look over the charms as I laid them out...lol!

• gmom2-6boys
    13 years ago

I've been CHARMED!!!! By Linda. Thank You so much. Now I need to work up the new squares.

Dan, by the weather forcast you are being hit by the storms from Wisconsin. I do hope you are safe. My daughter just called and said they were cowering in the basement with the 3 children. We were there this weekend and the sirens were going off around 10:30. But all was fine. Hope everyone is safe tonight.

Did anyone feel the earthquake in Canada? I was on the computer but did not.

Be safe all and I will host the next swap for July. More later.

Who wants to join us?

gmom

• faintheart
    13 years ago

Dan, you're welcome! Glad they got there as I was beginning to fret a bit. :/ Hope Linda's arrive shortly too.

Off to the office and thinking about making it a short day....
    Dee

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

Dee, my charms came on Wednesday! I wasn't home all day and Jeff laid them on my desk and I didn't see them until today! Very lovely charms and I love the instructions you included. What a great idea! (especially for those of us who don't really know what they're doing!.."L")

• hazelnutbunny
    13 years ago

I was charmed by Linda today! She sent pretty ones, including lots of pink- my favorite color! :D
    Thank you, Linda!!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, after checking and re-checking through the lists, almost everyone has posted that they've sent and received all their charms. Marie, did you ever receive your charms from Beth? I know she sent them, but did they arrive okay? All of the others have arrived, and we're now anxiously waiting for the July swap to be posted by gmom. Unless we hear back from Marie before then, we'll close this swap out on July 1st. Thanks everyone! It's been fun!

Peace.
    Dan & the Wee Beasties

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just received a return e-mail from Marie, who is having some trouble posting here on the ol' GW. She did receive her charms from Beth, so that means we're all done with this swap! YEAHHHHH!
    AND, that means we can now look forward to the next swap! YAAAYYYYYYYY!!!!!

===========================================================
    === THIS SWAP IS NOW OFFICIALLY CLOSED ===
    ===========================================================

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz