Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new: fotess may salad send off!

Posted by sjc48 5 Michigan (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 14 at 21:45

Evening All!!
I know that both Flat McGregors are still busy traveling around the country, but I thought I'd better get the May swap posted.

May is National Salad Month and I thought we could celebrate by doing a Salad Send Off! This is going to be a take off of sorts of our Christmas Swap. If you sign up, you will Send Off a Spring-type card and a copy of your favorite salad to two other members of FOTESS. Very simple and I PROMISE you will only send to two members.

In the event you don't have a "written" recipe for your favorite salad, you can write a short, instructional note instead. I know I've never had a written recipe for my potato salad.

Salads are many and varied. There are pasta, bean, chef, egg, tuna, chicken, lettuce, garden, potato, jello, fruit, macaroni, Waldorf, Cobb, Ceasar and many others. And they are one of my favorite foods: quick and easy!

Sign ups will end on Friday, May 9th and I'll email you your secret partners that evening. You will have all month to mail out.

Any questions, concerns?

All righty then, if you would like to Send Off your favorite salad recipe to two other members, sign up quick!
Shirley!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new: fotess may salad send off!

I'm in. Going to sign up before heading off to bed. It was a wonderful and busy weekend. I completed a 5k yesterday. Today our daughter graduated from college. At the celebration dinner, her boyfriend asked her to marry him. Yes, a wonderful day. Good night all. Margo

o

Please sign me up! I love salads! Any and all! Congrats Margo! Hopefully you are happy and not sad! Hard to see our children get married, but nice when they have the right partner!

o

Sign me up, Shirley. A great theme. I love salads!

Margo, wow, what a weekend you had... busy and exciting. Congratulations to the newly engaged couple. I'll bet you're ready to rest a bit. Good for you on completing the 5k. I never did much running and what I did was on my own and never in an organized way... but it's a great activity and raises money for so many worthwhile causes.

Jeanne

o

I'm always looking for some "salad inspiration". I'll join-in. Thank you, Shirley!

Sheri

o

• Posted by sjc48 5 Michigan (My Page) on
    Mon, May 5, 14 at 7:49

Welcome to the Swap, Margo, Melinda, Jeanne and Sheri! Glad you could join in!

Margo, what a happy weekend! Congrats to All!

I'm not a big fan of head lettuce but I love the leaf types. Heidi sent me 3 packs of them in one of the swaps and I'm going to try growing them this year. One of my favorite salads is baby spinach with oil and vinegar. Endive is another that's good this way.

And I've got to share this, quite appropriate for this time of year: Every Spring, my mother in law and her sisters would go out gathering dandelion, which they would prepare with oil and vinegar. A Spring tonic is what they called it. I didn't care for the taste but they sure did!

Can't remember which site it was on, but I saw dandelion seeds for sale - can you believe that?

Off to start another work week!
Have a great Monday,
Shirley!

o

Wow! That's one bitter "Spring Tonic". I bet it's super good for you. It does sound like a really fun spring ritual, though.

Funny dandelion story... my paternal grandma who was born in 1896 told me (when I was about 7) that her family used to eat dandelion roots. She told me that if I went around the yard and got all the long dandelion roots, that she would cook them for me. She said, "you have to make sure to get all of the root".

I pulled a ton of dandelions with LONG roots. I was very proud of them, BUT grandma never did cook them When I got home, my Mom said "I think grandma tricked you into pulling her weeds."

Sheri

o

Mon, May 5, 14 at 8:24

Sheri, that's hilarious! But Grandmas are like that! I can just see you scurrying around pulling all those dandelions!
Shirley!

o

• Posted by ruthz 8 dfw texas (My Page) on
    Mon, May 5, 14 at 10:29

Love salads, so I'm in.
We went to Central Market yesterday and I usually get a salad when I'm there. I mixed 3 different kinds and I'm sure I ate greens that I've never even heard of. Delicious!!

Margo, Congrats.

Shirley, when I was young we always ate dandelion greens and wild onions in the spring. My mother would put hot grease from bacon or back fat over them.

My daughter ate some that grows in our yard last year and didn't like them. I don't think they're the same as the kind we had in NW Georgia.

o

I'm in. My family can get a bit competitive at family events over salads. I'm ready for a new recipe that will get them talking! I think they're just glad when I show up with something edible!
Heidi

o

I am in....love Salad!! The exception would be fruit salads...will pass on that! But fruit salads are so very pretty! Butterhead, romaine, leafy greens and mixes...to darn good! .

Sheri, your Grandma played you...pretty smart woman! FUNNY! FUNNY! Dandelion greens, if I have had them, I did not know it. Do dandy greens taste like Chicory?

Margo, tiz time to start planning another wedding! Congratulations!

Jeanne, sent you an email yesterday...hope you received!

Shirley, thanks so much for hosting!

Happy Monday!

Annie

o

Daughter has decided tentatively for a September 12, 2015 date. 9-12-15 The biggest problem right now is that neither of them have jobs. We are not putting any money on anything until they do. Ugh She also wants a barn wedding and there are just not too many barns around here for weddings. I am not ready for all of this. LOL

I sure wouldn't starve around here if I ate dandelions. They are out in full force!!!

Margo

o

Oh boy... salad recipes!! Sign me up... I love to share a couple of my favorite recipes as well as receive new recipes. My family will be grateful! We ate our first greens from the garden... they were "radish" greens ..... first time for that ingredient... a bit peppery. :)

o

Mon, May 5, 14 at 20:36

Evening, Everybody!

Welcome to the swap, Ruth, Heidi, Annie and Peggy, what a great group so far!

Ruth, that sounds good, bacon grease on greens, have never tried that.

Heidi, if ever I don't get a good chuckle out of your posts, you'll know there is something badly wrong with me! So funny!

Annie, I have no idea what they taste like, but doesn't Chicory taste like coffee? Not quite sure what my point was supposed to be, but hey, Happy Monday to you too!

Margo, lots of dandelions here too, along with the woods violets, so pretty!

Hi Peggy, nice to see ya! I haven't eaten a radish in years, isn't that sad? Used to really like them. Did you mean the actual leaves from the radish?

Pretty day here today, but very cold. Next week is really supposed to be warm, so there is Hope!
Have a great day tomorrow,
Shirley!

o

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Mon, May 5, 14 at 21:42

This sounds like another great FOTESS swap. Count me in!

Is anybody familiar with greenbrier? aka Smilax? It is a green leaved vine that grows in the eastern woods. It has thorns, but not tons of them like blackberry or raspberries. Anyhow, in the spring, you can pinch off the fresh green growth tips and eat them as a salad ingredient. I find them delicious. You can also saute them up in some butter and garlic. Yum.

Ok, I promise not to send anyone a greenbrier salad recipe.

o

Shirley...many people dont eat radishes... d/t stomach distress issues... ;) but we are not "those" people... :) Yes the tops/greens are edible.. I think I have known that for some time but just couldn't figure out how to use them... wasn't sure I'd like the "fuzzy" texture.. so when I had the opportunity to stick them in the casserole... I did... It was a pork chop/stuffing/cream soup dish... so I sauteed onions, celery and added dried coral mushrooms and the radish tops and gave them a few minutes in the fry pan before adding the soup... mixed well and poured the mixture over the prepared stuffing (bottom layer), browned chops (middle layer); then the soup mix. Family couldn't taste the greens... but I figure they must have some nutritional value... they are green, after all..

Here is a link to a salad recipe that uses beet and radish greens and carrot tops, too. http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/radish-salad-beet-salad-carrot-top-salad/

Not sure about the carrot tops but will probably give them a try too... maybe...

o

Katie! I recognize that vine, but I had no idea what it was. Thank you for posting that photo. Do you go foraging for the new growth in your area?

I have two salad recipes that I love. I could eat them every day. I just have to put them onto recipe cards.

Sheri

o

Tue, May 6, 14 at 8:19

Morning All!
Welcome to the swap, Katie! Glad you could join us this month! And why am I associating Smilax with Christmas and Holly and stuff like that? Something I read, somewhere!

Sheri, yes, I think Katie forages for all kinds of things!

Peggy, that recipe sounds delicious, let us know about the carrot tops!

Another cold, pretty day here. WHEN is it going to warm up? I have seeds that need planting!
Have a great day,
Shirley!

o

I'll pass this month, we are not big salad eaters.

Margo, so happy your daughter has found 'The One'

And I'm always amazed of people who run these races.
My daughter and hubby do one a year ... 5k.
I'm pretty uncoordinated and have decreased lung capacity (no, I never have smoked, just born this way) so walking is the best thing for me.

Shirley, loved the Grandma dandelion story!
My Mom used to add the dandelion leaves to our salads once in a while. As children we didn't care for them much though. And Dad made us Dandelion Rootbeer once. I don't remember the taste thought. LOL

Have a great month ladies!
sharon

o

Sharon, don't forget that salads don't have to be green, fruit salads and dishes similar count. You might want to reconsider.

The sun is shining here today but still not that warm. Of course, the days I have off are not gardening type of days and the day I go back to work will be perfect. Oh well, thankfully it is still early. I think we are all so anxious due to that sticking long winter we had. There was even a talk of frost in some areas last night.

Maybe I will get all my housework caught up today so I don't have that to worry about when I get outside. Doesn't that sound like fun?

Margo

o

My current favorite salad is cornbread salad. I know, not as healthy as the all veggie ones, but a full meal in itself, however, I think I will sit this swap out and just look in from time to time.

Have you ever been walking through a lightly wooded area and unknowingly caught your foot in a long strand of Smilex that is traveling between saplings sending you flying toward a sticks and stones face plant while it's thorns tear your skin? Just wondering if that's just me, lol.

o

Tue, May 6, 14 at 21:32

I think it might be just you, Alana, but stop by and chat with us anyway, okay?! And what is in cornbread salad, other than the obvious? Have never heard of that!

Have heard of Dandelion Wine, but not Dandelion Rootbeer, I'm having a hard time trying to imagine the taste! Sharon, what is in it? And stop in and visit with us this month!

Katie, my WSed mountain mint seedlings have all but disappeared, don't know what's going on. But I have tons of Echinacea and Lobelia cardinalis (?).

Salad Send Off-ers so far:
Margo
Melinda
Jeanne
Sheri
Ruth
Heidi
Annie
Peggy
Katie and Me!

Still lots of time to sign up, Ladies!
Off to an early bedtime!
Shirley!

o

Sign me up Shirley....

Shirley

o

Wed, May 7, 14 at 8:17

Welcome to the swap, Shirley! Glad you could join in!

We had thunderstorms all night long, still raining here and it has warmed up a bit. And as long as it isn't snow, I don't care what it does out there!

Have a good day, All!
Shirley!

o

Shirley, I was little when Dad made it, but I'm assuming it was something like what is on this website. Dad is gone now, so I can't ask him.
My Garden Recipe
Dandelion-and-burdock-root-beer

Dandelion A handful of roots (50 grams)
Burdock A few large burdock roots (about 150 grams)
Sugar 500g
Black treacle 2 tablespoons
Lemon juice from one lemon
Beer yeast
Water 4.5 litres

Oh, and WHAT A LIGHT SHOW I had driving to work this morning! Lighting galore!

sharon

o

Thu, May 8, 14 at 9:14

Morning All!

Thanks for the recipe, Sharon, what is treacle? Is it molasses?

Supposed to be in the high 70s here today, YAY!! Our nights are supposed to be getting warmer too. None too soon for me! I've got a seed planting weekend planned.

Sign ups close tomorrow, Ladies, still time to sign up to Send Off your Salad recipes!
Shirley!

o

Fri, May 9, 14 at 7:57

Partners!
I'll be emailing your partners, sometime this evening, busy shopping day planned for after work!
It's quite warm here, YAY!!!!!!
Shirley!

o

It feels a lot like Santa and the Easter Bunny are conspiring together.
200 miles from us they got 10" of snow yesterday! (How about you, Miss Colorado Springs, did you get any of that snow?) Last night it was 32 degrees in Central Nebraska. The day before it was 80 degrees!
I've been checking out my flower beds and I found perennial bachelor button! I've been trying to grow it for 4 years. It's blooming! I also have one columbine bloom, 2 iris blooms and one tiny flax bloom. I'm not good at plant identification until they bloom!
So it's like Santa delivered snow, the Easter Bunny delivered plants and I have to be patient enough to figure out what they are!
You ladies are so much fun to share with!
Heidi

o

Fri, May 9, 14 at 19:53

Evening!

Heidi, I'm getting better at plant id, my problem seems to be: "Where did that come from and how did it get there?" Two or three mysteries a year!

Well, sign ups for the May Salad Send Off Swap are closed.

I am going to start emailing everyone their partners. Please post when you receive your names, but PLEASE DON'T TELL US WHO YOU ARE SENDING TO!! This is a surprise type swap!

We are sending a spring type card plus a copy of our favorite salad to two different members of FOTESS.

If you need addresses, please contact Jeanne or I. And please post when you send out. We have all month to complete the swap.

Any questions, concerns? Let me know!
Shirley!

o

Happy Mothers Day Dear Ladies:

o

Sun, May 11, 14 at 8:40

Good Morning and Happy Mother's Day!
Shirley, thanks for the beautiful "card"!

Everyone, please let me know if you got your names for the swap. Post here but don't reveal the names.

Have a great day,
Shirley!

o

I hope everyone's enjoying their Sunday! Shirley, I did not get my Salad Send Off recipients names. I sent you an email. Thank you!

Sheri

o

Shirley,
I didn't get my names either. I thought maybe something came up and you hadn't sent them. Great swap idea and I am getting ready to send my recipes once I have the names.

Shirley in NC, great Mother's Day card... and Happy Mother's Day to all!

Jeanne

o

Sun, May 11, 14 at 12:57

Shoot, I sent all of them on Friday evening, thro GW.
Sheri, just sent you an email, with your names.
Jeanne, will email yours soon, SORRY!!
Everybody, please check your spam folder!
Shirley!

o

I did not receive a name either...and not in spam.

Shirley

o

I also did not receive my names either. Also checked my spam folder. Sorry!

o

Sun, May 11, 14 at 17:05

No names here either.

o

Shirley, nothing here either. I even did a search for your name and if it was in my mail anywhere, it would have shown up.

Hope everyone had a good day. My daughter and son in law went to a Detroit Tigers game and stayed overnight in the area. Saturday morning they went to the Eastern Market and brought me back a beautiful potted hydrangea and a chenille plant in a hanging basket. A cute metal ornament and tootsie roll pops. My son gave me a gift card to a local greenhouse and my hubby gave me four pots that fit on the deck railings. Feel like I hit the Mother load and no pun intended. LOL

Did some heavy duty weeding in a garden that was virtually untouched last year. Thousands of fennel seedlings needed pulling up. I am almost done with one section of many. Looks good though and I have a sunburn to prove I worked hard. Always forget to protect myself.

Hope everyone enjoyed their day like I did. Margo

o

Sun, May 11, 14 at 20:17

I am so sorry about this!

Jeanne, Margo, Ruth and Melinda, I just emailed your names again, please let me know when you get them.

Shirley, could you email me and give me your email? thanks!

Shirley!

o

No, I didn't get my name.

On the upside, I found out I have a fernleaf peony in my flowerbed! I planted seeds a couple years ago. I didn't have money for peony plants. I thought I was looking for the usual red stems, but these are different. That's what happens when you look at pictures on the internet and buy seeds. I didn't look at the foliage and they were just listed as peonies!
Last year I got a muffler for Mother's Day. I put out an early warning this year: no car parts, please! lol
Heidi

o

Sun, May 11, 14 at 23:20

Thanks, got my names.

o

Mon, May 12, 14 at 12:20

Thank you, Everyone for getting in touch and/or posting that you got your names. You have the whole month to send out, so I guess there is no real need to panic, but I did, kind of, sort of, anyway!!

I still need to hear from Shirley, Annie, Peggy and Katie about receiving their names. Katie, just sent you an email. Peggy was the only one I sent via regular email, so maybe she is good to go.

Terrible thunderstorms here about an hour ago. The rain came down really hard, am a little worried about the seeds I planted out there yesterday. Kind of muggy here now.

Off to eat lunch,
Talk to ya all later,
Shirley!

o

Mon, May 12, 14 at 15:09

One is sent and the other one will be as soon as I receive address. Sent you an email letting you know which address I need.

It's gotten really dark outside and thunderstorms expected today and tomorrow, but nothing yet. Should not have any tornadoes attached to this system and we soooo need the rain.

Hope everyone had a nice Mother's Day.
My 13 year grandson has been running high fevers since last Wednesday, so we didn't go out as planned.
I took him to his doctor Friday and then we took him to ER Saturday night when his fever got to 104.7. They've run blood, urine, strep and flu tests and can't find anything wrong.

o

Hi Everyone... I have been busy with out of town company but he is leaving today. I did get my names for the Salad Recipe Swap. Now to decide which one to share!! We did get some grapes planted this weekend... next the cabbages. A little early for the tomatoes and peppers, though. I have one hanging basket yet to fill and a bleeding heart plant that needs a home, too. Lots of sunshine here!

o

My cards and recipes are ready to be mailed tomorrow.
Jeanne

o

I received my names Shirley....thanks

Shirley

o

Shirley,....No, I did not receive names! Email....funny thing!

Happy Evening!

Annie

o

Ruth, did your grandson's fever break? Did they take good care of him?

My Salad Send Offs are sent. Fun!!!

o

Tue, May 13, 14 at 8:04

Morning Everyone!
Thanks for posting, Shirley and Peggy!
Ruth, let us know how your grandson is.
Annie, as soon as Yahoo clears up their technical difficulties, I'll email your names.
Katie, you emailed me about your names, am I right?
I know this is giving a name away, but does anyone know Beth's new address? If you do, could you send it on to Melinda/ilovefarac? Thanks!
Melinda, if this doesn't work by this evening, we'll move on to Plan B!
Lots of t-storms and LOTS of rain here. And I don't think it's over yet!
Have a great day, Ladies,
Shirley!

o

Hope its not too late, would love to still join in if I can =) Have had family in and out and time is flying by.

Jayeanne

o

Tue, May 13, 14 at 9:17

Jayeanne, I'm sending you two names, just as soon as Yahoo has solved their technical difficulties. Glad you could join us.
I had no luck at all sending thro GW, and now Yahoo is weirding out on me. Haven't been able to get on my mail yet today. Drat!
Beautiful day here, rain has stopped. Got a notice yesterday that my box of plants from Prairie Moon is due to arrive here on Wednesday. YAY!!! Can't wait! All butterfly host and nectar plants, ones that I can't grow from seed! YAY!!

Ladies, we need to talk about salad dressings. I'll be back tonight with more on this!
Off to work,
Shirley!

o

My salad swap mail went out today!
We got almost a half inch of rain this weekend in a drizzly fashion so it could soak in. I'm happy. Cold on Mother's Day, but I think it worked out well. Every mother I talked to had a peaceful, restful day inside with their family. Not their Plan A, but it was good.
If my Salad Mail takes as long as Flat McG I might have to send by air balloon or telegraph.
Heidi

o

Tue, May 13, 14 at 17:54

We are just about to get our 3rd t-storm of the day, so I'll make this short:
Annie, I just sent your names, please let me know when you get them.
Jayeanne, please email me with your email, thanks!
Melinda, have you gotten an address yet?
I'll be back when the storm is finished,
Shirley!

o

Ruth-Prayers being sent to your grandson...sure hope this post finds him better. We sure have some weird illnesses going around and never an answer to what they are, so scary.

Shirley

o

Wed, May 14, 14 at 0:00

Thanks for prayers and asking about Mason.
Not knowing what's wrong is scary, and tomorrow will be a week of running fever.
Last night his temp was the lowest it's been @ 99.9.
Today his lowest temp was 100.6 and his highest was 102.3.
He's been drinking a lot of liquids and did eat half a burger today. I guess that's a sign that he's feeling a little better since he hasn't been eating even his favorite foods.

I worked in the yard some today and bought a few new plants. I don't know if Bleeding Hearts will do good here but I'm hoping they will. I've been wanting one for a while and found a pink one today. Also got a Henryi clematis and a variegated lantana. They had a variegated Beauty Berry that I'm thinking I might need to get.

o

Ruth...prayers for your Grandson Mason. Be well, young man!

Happy Wednesday!

Annie

o

Wed, May 14, 14 at 19:55

Happy Wednesday to you too, Annie! And Everyone!

Well, I came home, closed my windows and turned the heat back on. It is COLD here. Very cold. But no snow.
yet.

Update for the swap:
Sheri and Heidi have sent off their recipes.
Ruth has sent one out.
Ruth, did you get the address I sent?
Katie, did you get your names?
Jayeanne, did you get the addresses I sent?
Melinda, did you get Beth's address?
I'm planning on sending at the beginning of next week.

And now, back to the salad dressing!
My favorite salad dressing is Ranch. I slather it on just about anything, but mostly on a veggie salad of tomatoes, cukes, onion, green peppers, mushrooms, black and green olives, broccoli, sweet pickles, and anything else I have on hand.
I have tried making my own Ranch dressing without much success, so my question to you all is: Does anyone have a recipe for homemade Ranch dressing they would be willing to share?
Another question would be: What's your favorite salad dressing?

Looking at another t-storm. Oh. Yay.
But I hope tomorrow is a great day for everyone!
Shirley!

o

Sheri, what a great surprise I received in the mail today!!! A wonderful Broccoli Salad recipe. My husband is the real cook in this family and he is raring to try it. Also, Sheri send me a bag of candies that hubby and I dove into after dinner. LOL And a bag of Red Onion bulbs!!!! Thank you Sheri, You really made my day!

When I said I wasn't going to take part in this swap, I had no idea I would be on the receiving end of it. You Ladies are the something special!

sharon

o

I have my recipes ready for the post office tomorrow.

I enjoy Thousand Island. I have made it in the past but that was before I found out how much fat is in dressing so now I get the Kraft "free". I don't like the free on any dressing other than the 1000 and the Ranch lite is my second favorite. Never thought about making ranch from scratch.

Rain, rain and more rain here the past few days. Went from cool to hot and now back to cool. No happy medium yet.
We are getting our third shipment of plants at the store tomorrow. I am going to go broke. I tell myself no more and then every time I walk by a plant, it calls my name. After a while I just have to shut the silly thing up and buy it. :/

o

Wed, May 14, 14 at 23:33

I did receive the address and both my cards have been mailed.
I switch around on dressings.
I too love Ranch dressing on just about everything.
Sometimes I make my own with a mix from Penzy's just so it won't have MSG in it. Nothing I've perfected thou.
Gazebo Room makes a couple that I really like, but it can be hard to find. I used to order it by the case but now Central Market carries it.
I'd like a really good Sesame oil dressing recipe if anyone has one.
We're expecting a really cool night which is nice since it'll be back in the 90's soon.

o

I'm so happy that you liked your Salad Send Off, Sharon! It was fun to do. I was excited to get your name, because you like onions. You're going to love that salad!

I make a quick dressing for my Arugula salad by combining a high-quality extra virgin olive oil (I get mine from World Market), Marukan Rice Vineagar (from the Asian foods section of the grocery store) and a little bit of honey. I love the spicy/sweet combination.

o

My grandmother always made Ranch. That was before it was bottled. She bought the envelope and mixed it with mayonnaise and buttermilk. No wonder we all liked it! She was the one who taught me there was a difference between mayonnaise and salad dressing mayo. When you make it you sure understand how much fat is in it!
My family loves Olive Garden salad dressing. We bought 4 bottles 8 months ago and they are gone. The closest Olive Garden is 100 miles and we haven't been back even though we're dying for it! I plan a trip to Olive Garden on vacation soon.
We've had frost warnings for 3 days. Dipped down to 30 deg. I have too many to cover. I brought a half dozen in the house in containers. Holy moly this is cold! Yes, we have our heat on.
I took a class on First Aid Mental Health. We are not to diagnose, only assess.
Hallucination-you see or hear something that is not there.
Example:
Margo thinks the flowers are breathing and instructing her to buy them and set them free from their kidnappers the Plastic Container People (PCP), but the flowers aren't really breathing and talking. It's a sensory thing. After all, they TALKED to her and called her name.
Delusion-you think something that isn't true.
Example:
Margo believes the flowers have the ability to speak a secret language to each other and rule the world. She can't prove it or disprove it. She just believes it.
I knew already that joking about it helped us to talk about it, but also doesn't give it the seriousness it deserves. Very good class. Margo, if the plants tell you the FOTESS group is conspiring agains you...there's a bigger problem. lol
Heidi

o

Heidi, do you have a Sam's Club near you? If you do and you have a membership or know of someone who does, they sell the Olive Garden dressing. I bought some myself. :)

Another shipment arrived today and guess what? I just keep hearing more plants calling my name. Oh boy, what am I going to do. I already wrote a check today for $45 dollars. LOL I bought a large pot coneflower and 2 flats of 3 inch potted lavender. 12 munstead and 12 hidcote for the lavender plot my husband dug for us out front. Those I got at cost. I used my discount to buy 7 different herbs and a quart pot of rudbeckia. One of the herbs was a corsicort mint which I have never seen before. Very small foliage and great for a fairy garden. Can also be used as a stepable. I love my job!!!!

Margo

o

Sorry not checked in to let you know I have the right address now!
Ruth, it is very scary when you grandchildren are sick, I hope he is getting much better soon!
I am away for my granddgts. graduation, but will mail mine when get home first of the week!
Wow, a good find on the Henryi clematis. One of my favs and was one of my mom's favs. Been looking for years to find one. Need to look harder, I suppose!
Have a great weekend everyone!

o

I'm going to live vicariously through you, Margo! I had to Google 3 of your flowers.
Is there a bigger vision for your lavender, or you just always wanted a lavender bed? Just wondering if there was some interesting story.
What kind of rudbeckia did you get?
That mint looks like fun! I'm with you--I can see 100 uses and places for it! And to think it smells good, too! I am more and more drawn to plants that smell good.
Talked to someone who started a job at a flower shop/nursery. So far she hasn't spent too much, but she's been busy learning the new job. She has to pick out a tree for her house and she's learning flower names by the minute.
This is too funny-Olive Garden is in the same town as Sam's out here! But I do know someone with a membership so I if I smile a lot and ask nicely I bet they'd get me some!
Heidi

o

Salad has arrived........

Heidi, thanks so much for the very cute card....."woof woof" with paw prints, a SHIRLEY SJC original. And my salad recipe....FLUFF SALAD....whipped topping, jello, pudding, and fruit. Heidi, also included the many combinations that are possible with this salad. Easy!!

Thanks so much!!

Happy Friday to all!

Annie

o

Greek Salad, Cornbread Salad and Cherry Salad recipes all arrived in the mail from Jeanne, today, with a cute notecard that her friend drew by hand. Thank you, Jeanne!

o

Fri, May 16, 14 at 20:21

Shirley, YES! I got my names. I guess you did not get my email saying that I had received. POOP. I am not getting emailed about posts to this thread on a regular basis, either; very sporadic! Otherwise, I would have posted here in response much sooner!

I am mailing out my recipes tomorrow :D

Ruth, I hope your grandson is better soon. Those high fevers are scary! Melinda, how is your grandson doing?

Sheri, re: the greenbrier - I do not purposely go foraging for it. It's more like "oh, look! Smilax! Nom, nom, nom, nom" while I'm out in the woods.

Alana, it gets me, too. I actually have sported a scar across my forehead courtesy of a smilax vine thorn catching me across my face. Not nearly as sporty as Harry Potter's forehead scar, though.

Been working on house plans for months, and putting in a driveway and clearing a house site. Keeping me super busy. But that part of this "adventurous" process is done, finally! Here is a photo of driving halfway out, on our rough driveway for the very first time!

Katie

o

Fri, May 16, 14 at 20:39

Evening Everyone!
Katie, looks like you are pretty much starting from scratch, I can't imagine the work involved. Thanks for sharing the pic. Both Yahoo and GW are going bonkers on me, would love to know what all I've missed!

Ladies, it sounds like some pretty yummy recipes being sent off! Sheri, your dressing sounds great!

Ruth, I don't have a Sesame oil dressing recipe, hopefully someone else can come up with one.

Margo, it's very simple: if the plants are calling your name, buy them. Worry about where to plant them later. NEVER ignore a talking plant!

Jayeanne, did you get your names?

Well, it didn't rain today, I got out of work at one and I'm fighting off my first winter cold. Good enough to be going into the weekend with!
Have a great one,
Shirley!

o

Heidi, I can't remember what the rudbeckia is and it is outside in the dark so I can check it another time and let you know. I am not a fan of the dark. LOL I will also let you know what the coneflower is.

As for the lavender plot. My husband and I went out west a few years ago with the kids. We found a lovely lavender farm while we were traveling and just loved it. We decided since we have a little over 5 acres, we could try to start our own. We hope to one day be able to invite people to come wander the plot and pick some flower bunches. We will see how that works. It is a bit of a dream right now.

So thankful it is Friday. Long week. Have a good weekend everyone. Margo

o

Sat, May 17, 14 at 18:01

Sharon/gmom, I just sent you an email, let me know if you got it.
Still waiting to hear from Jayeanne!
Shirley!

o

Received a Salad recipe, Fluff Salad, yesterday from Heidi. Thank You Heidi. I think I have had this salad before. Will make it again.

I am also a fan of Ranch dressing. Only I can't use milk so I'm looking for one good tasting with coconut or almond milk.

smitties-I remember the work. We did the house thing 13 years ago. Including clearing the land. I would love to do it again. But we used all our money and houses are not selling up here. Good Luck!
I had a dream of putting lavender lining my driveway. Then it was chives, then Shasta daisy, now it is a little of this and that.
gmom

o

Spent the weekend getting our son to Indiana for his summer coop job for college. A 71/2 hour drive one way so just spent 15 hours in the car in less 36 hours. Ugh

Heidi, these are the following plants I have added so far to my gardens,

Thrift, ballerina red
Rudbeckia, prairie glow
Echinacea, Raspberry truffle
Geum, totally tangerine

I just need to get them into the garden tomorrow along with the herbs and salvias I bought. I still have a gift certificate to spend that my son gave me for mothers day at a greenhouse north of us. Can't wait.

Hope everyone had a good weekend. It would have been nice to garden but had to get the boy to work. LOL

Margo

o

Sun, May 18, 14 at 22:18

I think I've got you covered in the gardening thing, Margo, I spent the day putting in all the plants that were ready. It was beautiful here, warm and sunny! Glad to get so much done, it's been bugging me. AND!! almost all the seeds that I planted last weekend have sprouted! I thought for sure they were washed away or frozen.

I found two plants out there that I have no idea of where they came from. Well, the poppy is probably the orange one that I got from a friends daughter, 3 years ago but ya have to wonder where it's been all this time. But the wild Columbine is a complete mystery, covered with blooms, but still a mystery.

Saw a black swallowtail today, along with a gang of cabbage whites. And a butterfly that looked like a red admiral, but it didn't hang around long enough for me to identify it. Love this time of year!

I'll be back tomorrow with an update on the swap. Have a great week, Everyone!
Shirley!

o

Margo, always good to keep the kids working! You're a good mom.
Shirley, there's probably butterfly texting with your coordinates. They probably have you videotaped trying to id them and they have Funniest Gardeners Video contest!
I received two recipes from Ruth. Can't wait to pull these out on my aunts and cousins!
Heidi

o

Hi Shirley....yes I got the names thank you so much...I am mailing mine off this morning.

For some reason I am not getting any emails or posts that are coming through from GW. any ideas?

Happy Monday ladies!
Jayeanne

o

I have to get up and going but finding I am a bit sluggish this morning. The temps are quickly going up so that will help.

Heidi, you are absolutely correct about keeping kids working. The University of Cincinnati is a fabulous University with the coops. These are paid positions and Taylor is getting paid 22 dollars an hour and has learned so many things at the place he is working. I love that they give the fair wages since these students are really working. The University here in Bowling Green has internships and they don't pay. How fair is that? Anyway, Taylor loved his position last year and he did well. He is going into chemical engineering so it will be nice if one of the places he works at hires him when he is done. He will be going to school for 5 years because every other semester he is working. He sure won't have much debt when he is done either. My daughter just graduated at Ohio State and is having difficulty even getting an interview anywhere.

Shirley, I have to tell you that every time I see a butterfly, I think of you and want to ask you what it is. LOL I can't wait to get out later and see what visits here.

Margo

o

Margo--Thank you , Thank you! She sent me a recipe that my dgt. in law and I were actually talking about this weekend! My mother used to make this and apparently the recipe was in her head, because we have never found it written! We both love cucumbers and loved this but didn't know how to make it. I'm pretty sure this is the one! I can't thank you enough! Also send me some Best Alpha cucumber seeds with it and a lovely sunflower card! I loved it all and brought back wonderful memories! Already called my dgt. in law and told her about it! Just awesome! Thanks so much! Melinda

o

Mon, May 19, 14 at 20:19

Just received a big package today from Sheri/Panhandle Seed Swap.
Will post details later, but for now WOW.

o

Melinda, you are most welcome and I do hope it is the one you are looking for. I enjoy the recipe because it is so easy to make and so refreshing on a hot day.

Margo

o

Tue, May 20, 14 at 10:09

kchd, how exciting for you.
smitties, what great finds on the flowers. I'm going to have to look up the Echinacea. Sounds beautiful. I added two new ones this year and plan to add more sometime.

What an awesome surprise package I received from Sheri/ Panhandle_seed_Swap yesterday.
A recipe for "Best Broccoli Salad". I've never made broccoli salad but I do love it and this looks really good.
She also included
Red Onion Bulbs (need to plant these today)
a package of T-Markers
a package of Ritter Sport Alpine Milk Chocolate (YUM)
and a beautiful personalized card.
Everything was packaged so beautifully with pictures and descriptions
Thank you so much.
I'm going to have to get more creative to hang out with all of you wonderful ladies.
Happy Tuesday to all.

o

Thank you, Ruth! It was fun to do. :)

I always used to buy that broccoli salad from the deli, now I just make my own (using that recipe). I can eat it as a meal, it's so good!

Sheri

o

Tue, May 20, 14 at 18:53

Hi Everyone, sorry that I was MIA-been fighting off a cold, then the air conditioning was on "frigid" at work yesterday and I came home feeling slightly less than good! Ate dinner and zonked out!

Heidi, there's no doubt in my mind! I just hope all those little critters take advantage of all that is out there!

I put my Salad Send Offs in the mail this morning, the mail guy left me some mail, also the Send Offs. Hmmm? Hopefully they will go out tomorrow.

Swap Update:
Jeanne - sent - 1 rec'd
Katie - sent
Jayeanne - sent
Heidi - sent - both rec'd
Margo - sent - 1 rec'd
Sheri - sent - both rec'd
Ruth - sent
Annie -
Peggy -
Shirley -
Melinda -
Me - hopefully tomorrow!
Hope I got this right, if not, please let me know, okay?

I need to go back thro the posts and make a list of the salad recipes I want, some of them sounded so good!
Also, Ruth, Is Penzy's an online site?

Ate lunch in Loranger Square, next to the courthouse, today, saw three different butterflies, none of which hung around long enough for me to get the camera out! They seem to be coming out earlier this year, which is surprising, considering the hard winter we had. But I'm not complaining, just wish they would slow down!

Have a great evening, Ladies,
Shirley!

o

Shirley... I order from Penzey's online. I'm crazy for their Cayenne Red Pepper. The flavor is really excellent compared to the one in the grocery store. I'll post the link below.

I have an online (and phone order) coupon code for a free full-sized jar of their Fajita Seasoning Blend. They say it's good on fajitas, tacos and pasta salad. Code: 21458C expires July13. 2014

Sheri

Here is a link that might be useful: Penzeys Spices

o

Wed, May 21, 14 at 8:37

Jayeanne, I only get a handful of posts to this thread emailed to me. And I'm starting to notice a pattern, too. I receive emails when Ruth, Margo, Annie and Sheri post; but I never receive emails when Shirley, Jayeanne, et al post. It's like a one sided conversation.... I get confused about what people are talking about, then I go to the website and see the posts I've missed and it makes more sense. Hmmm.

o

Good Morning/Afternoon FOTESSERS,

My "Salads" have left my mailbox and are headed to their destinations.

I like Penzeys too. I have not ordered their Fajita Seasoning Blend....need to give that one a try!!!

Enjoy your day!!

Annie

o

Good Afternoon Fotessers!

I had quite a surprise in my mailbox this afternoon!! A wonderful card from Jayeanne!! With seeds: Watermelon Crimson Sweet and Genovese Sweet Basil. The cutest butterfly notepad and an amazing recipe for:

Watermelon Prosciutto Salad

1/4lb of prosciutto cut into thin strips
1T chopped fresh basil
3T white balsamic vinegar
2tsp. honey
1/8tsp. paprika
1/3C olive oil
3C seeded & cubed watermelon
2 bunches of watercress
1/2tsp. ground pepper

Garnish with watermelon wedges

1. Brown Prosciutto in a sm. nonstick skillet over med. heat. 5 min. Set aside.

2. Whisk tog. basil and next 3 ingred.; gradually whisk in oil until blended.

3. Arrange watermelon cubes over watercress. Sprinkle with prosciutto and pepper. Drizzle with vinaigrette.
Serve immediately. Garnish if desired. (Makes 4 servings)

YUMMY!!

Thank you Jayeanne!! Have a BBQ to go to this weekend and I'm going to bring this! Sounds yummy and different!

So sorry I missed out on this swap! Have to pay attention to GW more. Been running around crazy. Started substitute teaching a couple of weeks ago.
And trying to mulch the beds and keep up with my iris'...I need a GW break! :)

Catch ya on the next swap!

Happy Blooms!
vina

o

Wed, May 21, 14 at 22:14

Evening!
Hi Vina, nice to hear from ya! That recipe sounds delicious!

Peggy, I sent you an email earlier, hope you got it. Let me know, okay?

Thanks for posting, Annie! And thank you all for the Penzey info. Checked out the site, and sent it on to my son in law, who is a great cook and will love it.

Beautiful day here today. Hope the good weather lasts over the weekend. 3 days off! Yippee!!
Have a great Thursday,
Shirley!

o

Yes Shirley, I got your email and sent you a reply... thanks for the info...

I finished filling up one of my herb pots today and got a few starts of a Snow Ball bush. They are pretty small starts ... hope they survive.

The weather here is beautiful....so no complaints in that department.

I'll be picking up some asparagus tomorrow to make pickles with my nieces. Looking forward to spending time with them.
But I won't be up for that if I don't put this computer to bed. haha....zzzzzz

o

Thu, May 22, 14 at 9:56

I'm a little late in replying about Penzy's.
Sheri, I think the flavor of all of their products is superior to grocer store stuff.
Yes you can mail order, but they also have a lot of locations so you may have one in your area.
I ordered for many years before we finally got two stores here.
I have tons of their spices, but a few of my favorites are Ruth Ann's Muskego Ave Chicken and Fish Seasoning (use this on everything), Vietnamese Cinnamon, Aleppo Pepper and all the Pepper, Chili and Garlic seasonings.

o

Vina - hope you enjoy that recipe my kids love that!!

Thank you for the scrumptious sounding 'Citrus Shrimp & Toasted Couscous Salad' Recipe today from Katie... my daughter loves shrimp! I cant wait to make this for her and surprise her with it!

Enjoy your day ladies, its raining here so laundry day it is =)

Jayeanne

o

Received not one, not two but three recipes today from Shirley.

Orange Fluff salad
Fruit salad dressing
Sour Cream macaroni salad

My daughter and sil are coming for dinner on Monday so I think I will make the macaroni salad to go along with our burgers. Thank you Shirley as these all look refreshing and delicious for the coming hot season.

My hubby and I received a request to go to Texas to babysit for the baby while their daycare lady is on her vacation. I am so excited I can't stand it. A whole week getting to know the little guy again. He will be 9 months old by the time we go. We haven't seen him since he was 4 months so this is going to be a real treat.

Beautiful weather here. It is close to perfect with temps in the 70s and nice cool evenings. I am planning on really getting caught up in the gardens this weekend. I am also going to head up to Toledo for the farmers market.

Margo

o

I hope everyone has a nice weekend. It is already starting to be too hot for me to be outside during the middle of the day. Oh, my... it's going to be a long summer! A salad will be great.

Jeanne

o

Fri, May 23, 14 at 20:25

I'm thinking like you, Jeanne, quick, easy salads and no messing with the stove! Gonna be much too hot!

We're getting sunny but cool weather here, heck of a breeze going on! Good weather for gardening, which is all I intend to do this weekend.

I can't believe what all is blooming or getting ready to bloom! Three of my iris's are blooming, got a beautiful white one, Alpine Storm, compliments of Vina! All of the Columbines are ready to burst into bloom, including the wild-red/yellow one that I have no idea of where it came from!

Margo, you are going to have such a great time! That is such a cute age! And I hope you all enjoy the macaroni salad. My kids really like it. I sometimes add chopped sweet pickles too. The fruit salad dressing is an old, old recipe, haven't made it in quite a while, you may want to cut the sugar by half. I'm remembering that it was really sweet.

And I'm thinking that shrimp salad recipe should be pretty tasty!

Well, gotta go work on the quilt block templates and then maybe an early bedtime-ha ha.
Have a great Saturday, All,
Shirley!

o

Sat, May 24, 14 at 10:22

Sherri, the chocolate was yummy. Hubby and I devoured it yesterday.

o

Shrimp Salad sounds good!!!!!!

To all my FOTESS friends, have a lovely and safe weekend! And GOD BLESS those who have given their life for our country and for us.....

Annie

o

Oh boy, I did it again. Went to the farmers market and got swept off my feet by the plants they had. Bought a pink balloon flower, pineapple mint, lemon grass, English daisy and a spider web hen and chicks all at 1.25 each. Then I just had to have a green jewel echinacea that was in the gallon pot for only $7.00. So exciting and tomorrow is plant day there. They are having 35 different plant suppliers going to be there. I am having such a hard time not being tempted to go back.

The weather was absolutely beautiful today. Well worth the cold dark days of winter wait. Well, maybe not. Anyway, highs in the 70s and no humidity. I just doesn't get any better. Tomorrow will be a little warmer but we plan to finish the day with our first bonfire.

I hope everyone else had a super day. Margo

o

Sun, May 25, 14 at 8:24

The weather is great up here, too, Margo. Had a great planting day yesterday and another planned for today!

Thought I'd share these pics. About 4 years ago, Vina sent me a whole box of Iris rhizones. THIS year, I'm finally getting blooms. Had a bit of a problem with "enough sun" and "Russian Sage covering them up". These are so pretty!

o

Sun, May 25, 14 at 8:31

And here's another! This is Alpine Storm. The yellow is Ola Kala. President Pilkington should be blooming any day now!
Enjoy!
Off to weed, clip, trim, plant seeds, find my clippers, set up the fountain and organize the back yard!
Have a great day!
Shirley!

o

Shirley - those Irises are beautiful! I have some of the standard purple ones coming up - Irises look so graceful.

May has just gotten away from me - I didn't even realize this swap was running until I got this very nice card with salad recipes in it from Annie (canyonwind). I love salads - and hopefully my garden will produce some lettuce very soon! Annie sent me the recipes for a Cobb Salad and a La Scala Copped Salad - with the dressing recipes included on the pages - yum! She suggested a nice Sauvignon Blanc to go with it - I think that sounds lovely. The envelope included some palm tree confetti - very festive!

This year, I named one of my boxes the "salad garden" and planted snap peas, beets, carrots, radishes, cucumber, spinach, one mini cherry tomato plant, and three different kinds of greens in it.

Thank you Annie - and the FOTESS group - you gals are amazing! Hopefully June won't fly by quite so quickly!

Mandy

o

Shirley, your irises are so beautiful. I have iris plants but they almost never bloom. I have dug many of them and given them to be sold at the Master Gardener plant sale. Maybe they will be happy with someone else's soil and care.

I received a recipe for Lime & Pear Jello Salad from Melinda yesterday and a very pretty notecard with a floral design around the edges and pears in the center. How appropriate! The center is a small envelope that has a fruit and flowers scent to it. Thanks so much, Melinda. That was definitely the best thing that came in the mail yesterday.

My daylilies are starting to bloom. It's a bit of fun in the garden because you don't know what you will have blooming out there from day to day. (In fact, most of the time I still don't know because the names of the daylilies faded long ago...)

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
Jeanne

o

I received a wonderful recipe from Katie for Citrus Shrimp & Toasted Couscous Salad. Sounds wonderful and I love a good salad. Thank you Katie for sharing your recipe.

I mailed mine on Friday so hopefully they will be received tomorrow.

Off to slave in the flower beds.

Shirley

o

Mon, May 26, 14 at 20:40

Evening All!

Okay, Margo, did you go back to the Farmer's Market? And what did you get?

Mandy, nice to hear from you and thanks for posting! I love Cobb salad!

Jeanne, that recipe sounds like an old one my Mom used to make, lime jello, whole pear halfs, and something else. Oh, did you get my email about "sent vs received"?

And speaking of sending and receiving!! I wanted to update the swap.
Thanks to everyone who played this month, ALL members of FOTESS should have received a Salad Send Off recipe. Hopefully, everyone will post here when they receive.

Here's the update:
Margo - sent - rec'd
Melinda sent - rec'd
Jeanne - sent - rec'd
Sheri - sent - rec'd
Ruth - sent - rec'd
Heidi - sent - rec'd
Annie - sent - rec'd
Peggy - sent
Katie - sent - rec'd
Shirley/brittanysgram - sent - rec'd
Jayeanne - sent - rec'd
Shirley - sent
Mine should be coming from Shirley early this week.
Peggy, did you receive a recipe? Did I miss it?
Here are the others:
Michelle
Beth
Sharon/toomanyanimals - rec'd
Vegpath
Sharon/gmom - rec'd
Mandy - rec'd
Alana
Suzanne
Vina - rec'd
Diane
Ellie
Becky
Robin
If I missed anyone on the list, I'm sorry and please let me know!
We still have all week to receive Salads. Has anyone tried their new recipe yet?
Jeanne has the June swap, did she mention cuttings?
Then we are taking a break in July.
Then we're coming back in August with the 2nd Annual FOTESS Yard Sale!

Great day here today, got all my garden work completed, well, as far as I can. Still need to get mulch and get it spread, but I'm not in any rip tear about that! Thought I'd leave you with this pic: this is the President Pilkington Iris!
Have a great week, Ladies!

o

I received my recipe from Anne. I am looking forward to giving them a try. The dressing(s) sound fantastic, too. I seem to go for the samosamo when it comes to lettuce salads but these two recipes will break that habit. Thank you, Anne!

As I was cleaning out my purse I found the cards that were to be mailed out. Will do that tomorrow! I am sorry for the oversite. ;(

Spent the day outdoors...the tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, cabbages were planted. BIG garden this year... my husband has put in a lot of work and it shows. Corn was planted yesterday. Just a few more vegies to go.... green/yellow beans, squash, cucumbers and okra. We have eaten radishes, lettuce and collards. Hubby is tired and I think I got a bit of a sunburn. Beautiful Memorial Day.... Thank God for our Armed Forces.

o

Hope everyone had a fantastic Memorial Day. And it's back to work tomorrow.

White Clematis:
 photo Clematis-White.jpg

Iris Vibrations:
Vibrations photo IrisesApril2008408.jpg

Shirley

o

Mon, May 26, 14 at 22:51

Shirley! WOW!! That Iris is beautiful! If you have others, please share! My clematis are just starting to bloom. What are those growing on?

Peggy, this is such a busy time of year for everybody, don't panic! And you aren't late, we have until the end of the month to send off. What an array of veggies you got planted! Kudos to your hubby, hope he gets a good night's sleep.

Well, like Shirley said, back to work tomorrow, best be heading for bed.
Shirley!

o

Tue, May 27, 14 at 12:25

Beautiful Iris's and clematis.

We always try to go to a local Memorial service.
Thunderstorms were threatening but it was still a nice turn out and a nice service.

I made the Broccoli Salad recipe and a blackberry cobbler to take to the lunch provided at our American Legion after the service. Both bowls were empty so I'm guessing it was a hit. I liked it.

Happy to see the upcoming FOTESS Yard Sale again. I missed it last year and it looked like fun. I think I skipped it due to vacation or something.

o

Was so surprised to receive salad recipes from Shirley. Thank you so very much....they all sound yummy. Have been AOL for several months now. Retirement keeps me very busy and now babysitting my great granddaughter who is 5 months now. What a sweetie but don't get anything done when I have her. When I had my 3 kids, I worked and still kept up the yard and home and I absolutely don't get anything done with Brooklyn. What happened!

Have lots of yard projects coming up that will take the rest of the summer and I won't have to do the labor for once. I have only planted tomatoes plus a few other things in flower beds this year. I garden area is going to have some new compost put in.

Thank you again Shirley for the salad recipes. Have a great summer everyone.

Ellie

o

Beautiful flower pictures! Yesterday was my 41st wedding anniversary so we went out to eat and just relaxed around the house. 41 years sounds like such a long time, but seems like just yesterday ... you know how that goes!

Yes, for June we will be swapping cuttings and/or small plants - maybe something you need to divide or something that is pretty far along that resulted from your winter sowing. I'm hoping we can keep this in a small priority box so we are not talking mature shrubs. I'll get this posted soon.

Meanwhile, I am heading to the thread for Flat Farmer McGregor. I really think he has finished visiting everyone and had planned to update to that fact after checking once again. I had bad pain in my back for 2 days of the weekend and then didn't have my mind on it yesterday. If you missed out on Flat Farmer McGregor maybe we can try another type of "flat visit" next year. It was lots of fun, especially seeing pictures of eveyone's yard and flowers, etc.

Jeanne

o

Tue, May 27, 14 at 19:41

Hi FOTESSettes,
Dropping by to catch up on the thread. I am now getting ZERO emails with updates. pppffftttt!

Beautiful flower photos from our members' gardens!

Northern Shirley, yes I sent my recipes but no I have not yet received. I can't wait to see what new recipes I get. The suspense is killing me, especially after seeing all the interesting ones that have been passed along.

By the way, here's a current photo of my sorta square foot gardening / vertical gardening. The squash plants are really starting to climb now, and tend to meander back and forth across their respective trellis'. I've also put in a smaller trellis for 3 cucumbers. The flowers are part of my companion plants to keep squash bugs away. So far, so good. We've been eating the nasturtiums in our salads.

Katie

This post was edited by kchd on Tue, May 27, 14 at 20:56

o

Tue, May 27, 14 at 20:55

Evening Everyone!
I received the recipe I wanted the most, simply because I couldn't figure out how you would make salad with cornbread; Thank you, Shirley! I have my Mother's cornbread recipe and as soon as I get some cornmeal, I'm making this, sounds delicious! Very nice card too!

Ruth, weren't you back east camping?

Hi Ellie! Nice to hear from you; hope you enjoy the recipes!
"what happened?" I'm not sure, but I know some of it is age. And I would rather do things with the girls, than housework or laundry when I'm watching them. I have more fun with my granddaughters than I did with my kids, sounds not so good, but it's true.
Ellie, stay in touch with us!

Jeanne, Happy Anniversary and I hope your back is a little better today. I wish Flat #1 could see my back yard now, looks 90% better!

Katie, you should be receiving your Salad Send Off soon, Peggy said she just sent them. And thanks for sharing the pic, more please, as they grow! And what do the nasturciums taste like?

Margo, did you get rain today? We were supposed to, overnight, but nothing so far.
Off to check out more Iris sites!
Shirley!

o

Earth Song
Earth Song photo 2007flowers056.jpg

Full Swing
Full Swing photo 2007flowers032.jpg

Firecracker
Firecracker photo 2007flowers016.jpg

Crimson Cloisonné
Crimson Cloisonne photo 2007flowers083.jpg

Dalton
Dalton photo 2007flowers079.jpg

Peony Bowl of Beauty
Bowl Of Beauty photo 2007flowers074.jpg

Shirley

o

Tue, May 27, 14 at 22:15

I forgot to mention, Happy Anniversary, Jeanne! I hope you have already begun to feel better!!

oh Shirley, and Peggy, I'm not worried about receiving by any certain time :) I am just uber curious about what recipe I get to try next. I've got an adventurous palette! LOL

The nasturtiums taste spicy, a little like arugula. You can eat both the leaves and the flowers. The flowers taste milder than the leaves, and are more for edible decoration. By the way, all of the nasturtiums I planted this year were grown from seeds I received from several FOTESS members!

o

Wed, May 28, 14 at 20:47

Shirley, thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures! Love the Full Swing, just gorgeous!

It's turned cold here again. Keeps threatening to rain, but hasn't so far. Gonna have to get my flannels back out!

Katie, so many of my seeds this year were from FOTESS and GW members. And yes, all the nasturtiums!

Off to fold the rest of the laundry
Shirley!

o

Loop the Loop Iris photo 20140528irislooptheloop_zpsb123931d.jpg
I think this is Loop the Loop iris. It was an iris salvage from an abandoned lot.

o

Thu, May 29, 14 at 20:23

Beautiful, Heidi! Great salvage!

Well, we have two days left for our Salad Send Offs. Hope to hear from some more folks!

We're going to end this swap on Saturday, I know Jeanne will be posting her June Swap soon. I hope everyone is enjoying their new recipes!

Here's another pic of the Ola Kala, the darn thing just keeps blooming, so of course I have to keep taking pics!

Early day tomorrow, off to get ready for bed,
Have a great Friday,
Shirley!

o

Shirley-It's good to get flowers that bloom profusely, beautiful iris.

Heidi-Just gorgeous, love those irises.

Shirley

o

Iris are never happy at my house, but I look at those flowers and wish it would be happy!

The new June Swap is posted!!!

Jeanne

o

Thank you, Shirley, for a wonderful May swap... very inspiring. I'm "salad ready" for summer now!

Sheri

o

Shirley, thank you for another wonderful FOTESS swap!!
I love Salad!!!

Happy Saturday!!

Annie

o

Thanks to Shirley for an enjoyable swap. I am looking forward to trying my recipes.

Beautiful day here yet again but unfortunately I had to work and then came home with a headache so I will just concentrate on watering tonight. I work again tomorrow but only 12-4 so hopefully I can get outside when I get home.

Margo

o

Sat, May 31, 14 at 19:30

Well, Ladies, it's time to close this swap! I'm glad everyone enjoyed it and I'd like to thank everyone who sent out recipes. A big thank you to everyone who responded, too.

One thing: if you signed up for the swap and didn't get a recipe, please let me know, okay?

Jeanne already has the June FOTESS swap up and running, check it out!

We are going to take a break in July and I will be back in August with our 2nd Annual FOTESS Yard Sale! Last year's Yard Sale was fun and I'm sure this one will be too!

Off to sit outside and enjoy a glass of vino!
Shirley!

o

Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 18:26

I got my recipe yesterday from Peggy! She sent a recipe called Snickers Caramel Apple Salad, which is a desert salad. It combines Snickers, apples, vanilla pudding, milk, cool whip, and caramel!! She also sent some Johnny Jump-up seeds, a very peaceful card, and a letter which also listed bits of gardening folklore. Thank you, Peggy!!

Shirley, I'm with you. Off to enjoy a glass of vino, too.

Katie

o

What Katie said! I got that recipe, seeds, and folklore from Peggy out of my mailbox just now. I guess I missed out by not following this swap more closely. I had no idea I would be receiving a treat.
Thank you Peggy! That recipe looks fun and I'm going to try it for a 4th of July party I'm planning. I also enjoyed the garden folklore. I can remember my grandfather saying those same phrases.
Thanks again, Alana

o

Alana and Katie

I am happy to hear that you received the recipe and etc. Your family and friends will love this salad too.

I wanted to suggest that you can also add 1/2 cup of rough chopped peanuts, too. I have made it both ways and the extra crunch from the peanuts is yummy, too.

Enjoy! Peggy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here