Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

new: june fotess swap: "snip and share"

sandlapper_rose
9 years ago

June Swap - FOTESS - Snip and Share

First of all, let me say that you need to be a member of FOTESS in order to participate in this swap. FOTESS stands for Friends of the Earth Simple Swaps. We try to keep our swaps simple, try to make sure the postage for them is not too expensive, and we try to recycle and reuse and share seeds as much as we can. If you are not currently a member but are a reliable GardenWeb swapper, you can get in touch with Shirley or me and see if you are able to join in time for this swap.

Here are the rules if you sign up... and we hope you do!!!

1. Fill a small priority box (the size that you can send for about $5) with cuttings for the partner who will be assigned to you. My "guess-timate" is about 12 cuttings. You can send a few less if some or all of the plants are rooted. You must pack them carefully and according to the instructions. You can send a few cuttings from the same plant if you want to make sure that one roots, but not all from the same plant.

2. We need to send these priority and I believe priority comes with delivery confirmation (tracking) now. Try to mail early in the week so the package is less likely to sit somewhere over a weekend. Take your cuttings shortly before you ship so they stay as fresh as possible. I'm going to try to match partners so the boxes will travel a short distance rather than all the way across the country, but that will depend on the location of those who participate.

3. Select plants that have a likely chance to root. I'm going to give a crazy example here, but you would not cut just a daisy blossom off your plant and mail that to your partner or a cutting from a plant that just sprouted from seed a few days before. We want a stem part that normally contains leaves and has the strength to undergo the rooting process. Don't take so much off your "mother plant" that it won't survive the pruning!

Okay - back to being serious: There are many ways to propagate plants - from leaves, sections of roots, grafting, using misting systems, air layering, etc., but this time we intend to use stem cuttings that will be rooted in a container of sterile sand or some other medium or in water - a simple way! Do not leave lots of foliage on the cutting. The plant will not be able to support lots of foliage as it tries to root and that foliage will take up lots of space in the box. It is fine to leave a few leaves. If this terminology is meaningful to you, try to make sure there are some nodes/nodules (or bumps or stubs) from leaves or offshoots that you have removed where it will be asked to develop roots. That makes the process more likely. I would not recommend that you scrape or scar the cut end before sending it. If the recipient decides to do that before trying to root the cutting, he or she can right before potting it up.

4. Before you wrap the cutting, if you have rooting hormone on hand, you can dip just the end of your cutting in water and then in the rooting hormone - dip lightly - we don't want a rooting hormone snowstorm in the package. The way to package your cutting is to wrap the bottom of each stem with a paper towel or newspaper that is just barely damp. You don't want it saturated. Wrap only the end. I feel like I should say that again in bold: wrap only the end! If you put the entire stem and foliage inside the wrapping, it will likely begin to rot or mold before it is received. I was in a swap - not with FOTESS - where cuttings were totally wrapped in plastic and shipped in the summer (the entire thing was wrapped in plastic- stem, leaves, etc.) and the whole box had totally turned to mush by the time it reached me so we don't want that. You will likely find that you need to cushion the other end of the cutting (the foliage end) as you pack your box. If so, use something that "breathes" like shredded newspaper. Do not pad that part with plastic or something that will hold in too much heat and moisture.

5. If your plants are not suitable for taking cuttings, you can divide some perennials or send bulbs, corms, rhizomes, or strawberry runners, or some other type of plant material. However, the entire package cannot be "other." No seeds are to be sent! If you don't have enough plants for cuttings maybe a friend or family member will let you take a few cuttings from their plants. Another possibility is to add some well-grown winter sowing plants to the package.

6. Label each plant cutting and if you have information about how best to prepare it for rooting, add that as a note.

7. If there are some things you would really like to receive (e.g. cuttings of herbs, cuttings to grow shrubbery, cuttings for house plants, roses, or whatever) you can list that when you sign up. Keep in mind, you may or may not receive it. Make sure all cuttings are free from disease and pests. If you are sending something that is already rooted, rinse most of the soil from the roots and then package it like we listed for the cuttings. Sorry for all the rules, but cuttings are wonderful if they are shipped carefully.

Aren't we a thrifty bunch to try to share our plants in this way? Sign up by Thursday, June 12th and I will get partners assigned on the 13th or 14th. Mail your package by Mon. June 23th.

Things that typically do well - help me out by posting some ideas to the thread: most herbs - rosemary, oregano, mint... shrubs like forsythia, quince, many salvias, plants like brugmansia, many houseplants, most antique roses root well, confederate rose, Christmas or Thanksgiving cactus, ivy or geranium cuttings, dusty miller, impatiens, sedum, pussywillow or other willows, kiwi, blueberry cuttings, hardy mums, night blooming cereus, kerria japonica, angel wing begonias, St. John's Wort, pothos. Coleus is very easy to root so if you have some to spare, it's fine to send.

If you send some bulbs, rhizomes, or corms do not wrap those in moist paper towels. Keep them dry for shipping. Keep thinking of ideas! You can look for information on how to root your cuttings online, but let's share and post ideas about what you have good luck rooting and methods you have used with success (or maybe what to avoid!) We will leave the rooting system up to the receiver.

I usually dip the end in rooting hormone and place the cutting in semi-shade. You need to keep it moist, but not soaking wet. With our weather here, I just water thoroughly every day or maybe a few times a day until roots develop. Some people "tent" the container in clear plastic to keep it moist and if that is how you usually succeed, that is fine. With our humidity, I don't usually need to do that. Some people put cuttings directly in the ground and cover them with a jar. Too hot here to do that, but it may work well where you are.

I hope after the swap you will come back to say how you rooted things and what was successful. We all want to learn more.

Jeanne

Comments (150)

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm going to pick-up the smallest Priority Mail Flat Rate Box today. I'm curious to see what I can fit in it.

Sheri

• poisondartfrog
    9 years ago

Just a suggestion, Sheri, Have a look at the flat rate bubble envelope. They will allow a little more space and protect cuttings nicely for about the same cost.

• ruthz
    9 years ago

My guesses today

cutlet
    cuttings

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We have 2 more wins and a point for each!
    Alana guessed persecution and buzzcut.
    Ruth guessed cuttings and cutlet.

The score is Ruth 3 points
    Alana 2 points
    Erica 2 points

Wonder if anyone will figure out the last two?
    _ _ t _ _ (5) Added on 6/8
    _ _ _ o _ _ t (7) Added on 6/9

The letters I picked today were m and o. There was one "o".

I thought I would comment about the flat rate bubble envelopes (and I haven't used them for cuttings of plants so just a thought) - they might trap in too much moisture since it sounds similar to wrapping the whole plant in something plastic. I really don't know from experience though. All I can say is with as hot as it is here, it's better if the plant can breath a bit. It might work fine for hard stem cuttings from trees and shrubs. Anyway, if someone sends that way, we'll see how it goes. My advice if you do that is lots of padding - maybe shredded paper? I wonder if you can cut air holes in the bubble envelopes? The post office might give you a strange look!

Melinda, so sorry you need to drop out, but I understand. Keep visiting!

Talk later.
    Jeanne

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

My guesses:
    cutup
    linocut

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    9 years ago

I think I've bit-off more than I can chew this month.

Regretfully, I'm going to pull-out of this swap. So sorry, Jeanne. It is getting really steamy-hot here, too. Thank you so much.

Sheri

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Erica, Sorry that's not quite it.
    Sheri, Sorry you need to drop out. That's fine. Stop back to chat and play the games if you have a chance.
    Jeanne

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Drats! I suppose I can try again in a little bit. Lol.

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

My guesses for today:
    cutie
    linocut

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry this last guess has turned out to be so hard. I'm giving a hint: one of the words means a waxlike, water-repellent material present in the walls of some plant cells. I hope that helps.

Erica, you were the only one to guess today and you can guess once again today if you like.

Partners tomorrow! I will be looking through plants lists when the thunderstorms aren't interupting my time on the computer.

Jeanne

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Yay for another guess! And thanks for the hint!
    I'll guess:
    cutin
    linocut

• ruthz
    9 years ago

Looks like Erica got it, so I'll pass on guessing today.

I'll be happy to know who I'm sending to so I can start working on it.
    I'm hoping the temps hold off on the extreme heat a little longer.
    We were expecting severe weather today but nothing so far except a little rain.

We're taking my grandson for a CT scan in the morning.
    He's had fevers for over a month now and keeps throwing up and losing weight.

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Ruth, so sorry about your grandson. Hope all goes well at the hospital and they can figure out what's wrong. I'm wishing you all the best.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Congratulations to Erica! Cutin and linocut are correct and you are the weekly winner!
    Erica - 3 points
    Ruth - 2 points
    Alana - 1 point
    Come back to play next week with a different set of 3 letters being featured.

Ruth, I hope they find out what is wrong with your grandson. It's so frightening not to know and he has been sick a long time. I'm sending prayers and good thoughts that way.

Now back to trying to match partners!
    Jeanne

• poisondartfrog
    9 years ago

I'm sorry Ruth. I hope all turns out to be well.

• sjc48
    9 years ago

Ruth, hope all goes well with your grandson. I'm keeping him in my thoughts and prayers,
    Shirley!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

After confusion on my part matching people by what others would like (did the best I could), here is the swap list. Please notice we have 2 Sharons so make sure you send to the right one. Also, 2 Shirleys, but only Shirley in NC is signed up for this month. For the person sending to Beth, I believe her address is different right now, so please touch base with her before sending. Okay... here we go!

Jeanne sends to Annie (canyonwind)
    Alana sends to Jeanne (sandlapper_rose)
    Ruth sends to Jayeanne (pinkiris)
    Jayeanne sends to Shirley (brittneysgran)
    Beth sends to Alana (poisondartfrog)
    Shirley sends to Suzanne (hibiscusfan)
    Sharon (toomanyanimals) sends to Ruth (ruthz)
    Sharon (gmom2-6boys) sends to Erica (ericabraun)
    Jasmine sends to Beth (beth_b_kodiak)
    Erica sends to Sharon (toomanyanimals)
    Annie sends to Jasmine (jas_il)
    Heidi sends to Sharon (gmom2-6boys)
    Suzanne sends to Heidi (xiangirl)

As you recall, I will be sending to Annie at the end of the month because of her schedule. Annie, will it be okay if I mail out on the 30th? I'd like to get the package out on a Monday and hopefully that will get it there before mail stops for July 4th.

If you've lost your member list or can't get in touch with your partner by GardenWeb or other e-maiI I have addresses (except for Beth). Beth, will you send your new mailing address to me in case I need it?

Please, everyone, make sure you see your name on the list both to send and receive. I can't tell you how many times I double and triple checked, but just in case...

Okay, now everyone can be thinking of what to send.
    Enjoy! Please post when you send and when you receive. I'll start a new game on Sunday or Monday.

Jeanne

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Good times! I sent messages to both my sender and receiver. If either of you (gmom2-6boys and toomanyanimals) don't receive your emails, please let me know.

Many exciting days ahead!
    Erica

• toomanyanimals
    9 years ago

Erica, I haven't received an email from you so I've sent you my address myself. Please let me know if you received it.

And Ruth, I have your address. I hear how hot it can be down there at this time of year, so I will try and send you all rooted plants.

Jeanne, I have to say I was surprised at the distance I am sending my box and the distance I am receiving from. I know you said you were trying to match up wants also, but California and TX?
    Oh well, who knows, all could turn out just fine.
    I know it isn't easy to please everyone.
    sharon

• ruthz
    9 years ago

Sharon, don't worry about sending only rooted plants.
    And just 2 or 3 things will be fine for me.
    I'm still trying to get all of my winter sown stuff planted, and
    I don't really need anything, so whatever you send will be good.

I actually only joined in this month because a few people had brugs on their want list, and since I have a selection, I thought I would share.

Jayeanne (pinkiris) , I have your address.
    I only have one brugmansia that's variegated and it's green on green (Emerald Frost). It really isn't big enough for a good cutting, but I think I can take a small one.
    Are you interested in any brugs that aren't variegated?

This post was edited by ruthz on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 13:59

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Many people had "wants" on their list that did not seem to be easy to find in local nursuries and matched with some others who had the plants they wanted, so I admit I matched more towards the "wants" and "haves" rather than focusing so much on the distance.

If we are sending with 2-day priority mail, the boxes should arrive in 3 days. I hope it all turns out well - it not, we know who to blame: Me!

Have fun with it! And please let us know if you have success with the cuttings. The last time I participated in a cuttings swap we sent very early in the year - maybe March and I think everything was too dormant to do well. Although that is when I got a kiwi cutting and a butterfly bush cutting that rooted and I still have them. :-)

Jeanne

• toomanyanimals
    9 years ago

Jeanne, I'm not upset, just surprised and your right, it is fun to receive plants you want. And if can't get my cuttings to root I'm definitely NOT going to blame you ... I'll be putting that blame right where it belongs .... Me. LOL

I've been thinking of a different way to send newly rooted plants and just may give it a try as long as everything fits the way I hope.
    Sharon

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Jeanne, your sending to me on the 30th is perfect!!! Thank you so much! Make life easy on yourself...you do not need to send me much! I am happy with anything and everything!

Jasmine, I do not have your address (just emailed you via GW). I just checked my FOTESS membership list and you are not on it. Would you (or somebody) please email me your full name and address ASAP. I am going to send out Monday morning. Gosh, I even have a some things I think you will enjoy!!

Ruth, thoughts and prayers for your Grandson.....
    I do hope the CT Scan provide an answer.....

Happy Friday!!

Annie

This post was edited by canyonwind on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 13:03

• jas_il
    9 years ago

Annie, I sent you an email with my address.

beth_b_kodiak, I have sent an email for your mailing address to send plants.
    Thanks
    Jasmine

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Toomanyanimals,

I received your email and replied to it. If perchance you don't receive it again, I'm posting it below. You should be able to email me back directly as I seem to get your mail just fine. Here is the email I sent you, in case you don't receive it:

Meh. It seems that some email accounts filter my email straight into spam. Here's hoping that you get this reply.

Please look over the plants I have available and let me know which are of interest to you. If we get everything coordinated this weekend, I'd love to mail to you on Mon.

Look forward to hearing back from you,

Erica

EricaBraun--GW

• poisondartfrog
    9 years ago

Jeanne, I'll be away this weekend. I will likely mail to you on Tuesday unless you prefer a different time.
    Have a good weekend everyone.

• pinkiris
    9 years ago

Its been a busy week here even with the rain....

Ruth - Yes I would be interested in a few even if they are not variegated. I just didnt have any variegated ones and thought I might try my hands on one this year. (its on my wish list, I will not be disappointed if you can not get a cutting - I will be happy with whatever you decide to send Ruth =)

Enjoy your evening ladies!

Jayeanne

• toomanyanimals
    9 years ago

I've got to say I'm really excited about adding to my very small herb garden.
    Can't wait till that box arrives! LOL
    Sharon

• gmom2-6boys
    9 years ago

Erica I did not receive an email. I'm sending to you.

Heide, I'm sending you an email.
    gmom

• gmom2-6boys
    9 years ago

Erica, Check my list and let me know what you would like.
    I also have chives and garlic chives that are not on my list.
    gmom
    Sharon

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Sharon (gmom),

I just responded to the email you sent me. Hopefully you will receive it. If not, let me know and I can post on this thread what I'd love to get from your choices.

Thanks so much for sharing!
    Erica

• jas_il
    9 years ago

beth_b_kodiak,

It looks my email didn't go thru which I sent yesterday so I am sending it again. Please let me know if you don't get it.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry not to have been available before now. My husband and I were going out to eat around lunch time today (we didn't want to be at the restaurants tomorrow when they will likely be very busy) and the man behind us hit my car. Some remember my car was just hit from behind in January and I am still dealing with back issues from that. I had an epideral pain shot in my back about 2 1/2 weeks ago and was finally able to get around a bit. Well, after speaking with my husband for a few minutes and giving us his name and the name of his insurance company, the man drove off. I had called 911 to get a report done and he wasn't there for more than a few minutes. We, on the other hand, waited there for 2 hours for an officer to show up. (They are that shorthanded and busy, so I don't fault them for that.) So we just hope the claim goes through okay. My car had been fully repaired from the January accident and will have to go back to the shop again. Anyway, it was not a good day and I just hope this doesn't affect my back too much. Of course, it's sore today. I've been staying quiet and had ice on it and took something for pain.

I'll send out the revised address list in a few minutes. I know some could not get it or could not read it as an attachment last time so If that's the case, let me know and we'll figure out another way. I have everyone on the list now.

Happy Father's Day to all the dads tomorrow!

Jeanne

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Jeanne,

I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. Hopefully it didn't exacerbate your pre-existing problem too much.

Wishing you a super speedy recovery,
    Erica

• beth_b_kodiak
    9 years ago

Oh Jeanne, Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope you don't have more problems from this.
    Hugs, ( nice gentle easy ones)

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Jeanne....thinking of you!

Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

New week, new game. I thought the letter combination n-i-p was similar to c-u-t so I'm trying that. When you play the game this week, you are trying to identify the word by looking for words that contain "nip" somewhere in the word. I picked 2 letters to fill in to get us started and they are d and i. Unfortunately none of the words has a "d" so here we go:

_ _ _ _ i _ (6) _ _ _ _ _ i _ (7) _ _ _ i _ _ _ _ _ _ (10)
    _ _ i _ _ _ _ (7)
    _ _ i _ _ _ (6)
    _ i _ _ _ i _ _ (8)

Remember in order to guess you have to guess 2 words at a time and both have to be correct in order for you to get a point. You cannot guess any more frequently than one time a day.
    Good luck on this week's game!

Jeanne

P.S. I updated this in case someone did not read as posted below that Alana guessed the first two words.

This post was edited by sandlapper_rose on Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 15:47

• poisondartfrog
    9 years ago

Sorry about the accident Jeanne! I hope you recover quickly.
    I'll try catnip and parsnip.

• jas_il
    9 years ago

Jeanne,
    I am so sorry to hear about your accident. Praying for you.

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Sharon (toomanyanimals), I sent your package today.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Alana got our first two words of the week! Congratulations!
    Catnip and parsnip were at the top of the list. I'll add 2 new words a bit later today.
    Jeanne

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

I sent out my box to gmom2-6boys Sharon today. I borrowed a couple clippings from a neighbor.
    Jeanne, what brainpower you have! Even after double bumper incidents. I'm not much good at the game, but I like watching and trying.
    Heidi

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

I'll guess:

Sniper
    Snippet

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

I guess:
    manipulate
    sniper

Heidi

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm going to give both Erica and Heidi a point. They each had 2 correct words and posted so close together that I doubt they saw the other guess. Great effort, ladies!

Adding words:
    _ i _ _ _ i _ _ (8) Posted on first list
    _ _ _ _ i _ (6)
    _ _ _ i _ _ _ (7)
    _ _ _ i _ _ _ _ _ _ (10)
    _ _ _ i _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (12)
    _ _ _ _ i _ _ i _ _ (10)

I have a long meeting to attend in the morning so I may not be drawing letters and posting them until after lunch, but I won't forget!

Jeanne

• jas_il
    9 years ago

Beth, I have shipped your box today thru priority.

DC# 9405 5096 9993 8541 2988 94

Jasmine
    jas_il

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Jasmine,

Your box went out Priority this morning...they say Wednesday for delivery.

Tracking # 9114 9012 3080 3681 0383 24

I do hope you enjoy and that everything arrives as it should...LOL!

Annie

• jas_il
    9 years ago

Annie,
    Can't wait to see what is in that. Thanks a lot.

Jasmine

• poisondartfrog
    9 years ago

Jeanne, I forgot to put my note inside the box, so I tucked it under the shipping label.

• poisondartfrog
    9 years ago

Here are my guesses today:
    juniper
    omnipotent