Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

o
new: june fotess swap: "snip and share"

Posted by sandlapper_rose z7B-8A SC (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 14 at 21:58

June Swap - FOTESS - Snip and Share

First of all, let me say that you need to be a member of FOTESS in order to participate in this swap. FOTESS stands for Friends of the Earth Simple Swaps. We try to keep our swaps simple, try to make sure the postage for them is not too expensive, and we try to recycle and reuse and share seeds as much as we can. If you are not currently a member but are a reliable GardenWeb swapper, you can get in touch with Shirley or me and see if you are able to join in time for this swap.

Here are the rules if you sign up... and we hope you do!!!

1. Fill a small priority box (the size that you can send for about $5) with cuttings for the partner who will be assigned to you. My "guess-timate" is about 12 cuttings. You can send a few less if some or all of the plants are rooted. You must pack them carefully and according to the instructions. You can send a few cuttings from the same plant if you want to make sure that one roots, but not all from the same plant.

2. We need to send these priority and I believe priority comes with delivery confirmation (tracking) now. Try to mail early in the week so the package is less likely to sit somewhere over a weekend. Take your cuttings shortly before you ship so they stay as fresh as possible. I'm going to try to match partners so the boxes will travel a short distance rather than all the way across the country, but that will depend on the location of those who participate.

3. Select plants that have a likely chance to root. I'm going to give a crazy example here, but you would not cut just a daisy blossom off your plant and mail that to your partner or a cutting from a plant that just sprouted from seed a few days before. We want a stem part that normally contains leaves and has the strength to undergo the rooting process. Don't take so much off your "mother plant" that it won't survive the pruning!

Okay - back to being serious: There are many ways to propagate plants - from leaves, sections of roots, grafting, using misting systems, air layering, etc., but this time we intend to use stem cuttings that will be rooted in a container of sterile sand or some other medium or in water - a simple way! Do not leave lots of foliage on the cutting. The plant will not be able to support lots of foliage as it tries to root and that foliage will take up lots of space in the box. It is fine to leave a few leaves. If this terminology is meaningful to you, try to make sure there are some nodes/nodules (or bumps or stubs) from leaves or offshoots that you have removed where it will be asked to develop roots. That makes the process more likely. I would not recommend that you scrape or scar the cut end before sending it. If the recipient decides to do that before trying to root the cutting, he or she can right before potting it up.

4. Before you wrap the cutting, if you have rooting hormone on hand, you can dip just the end of your cutting in water and then in the rooting hormone - dip lightly - we don't want a rooting hormone snowstorm in the package. The way to package your cutting is to wrap the bottom of each stem with a paper towel or newspaper that is just barely damp. You don't want it saturated. Wrap only the end. I feel like I should say that again in bold: wrap only the end! If you put the entire stem and foliage inside the wrapping, it will likely begin to rot or mold before it is received. I was in a swap - not with FOTESS - where cuttings were totally wrapped in plastic and shipped in the summer (the entire thing was wrapped in plastic- stem, leaves, etc.) and the whole box had totally turned to mush by the time it reached me so we don't want that. You will likely find that you need to cushion the other end of the cutting (the foliage end) as you pack your box. If so, use something that "breathes" like shredded newspaper. Do not pad that part with plastic or something that will hold in too much heat and moisture.

5. If your plants are not suitable for taking cuttings, you can divide some perennials or send bulbs, corms, rhizomes, or strawberry runners, or some other type of plant material. However, the entire package cannot be "other." No seeds are to be sent! If you don't have enough plants for cuttings maybe a friend or family member will let you take a few cuttings from their plants. Another possibility is to add some well-grown winter sowing plants to the package.

6. Label each plant cutting and if you have information about how best to prepare it for rooting, add that as a note.

7. If there are some things you would really like to receive (e.g. cuttings of herbs, cuttings to grow shrubbery, cuttings for house plants, roses, or whatever) you can list that when you sign up. Keep in mind, you may or may not receive it. Make sure all cuttings are free from disease and pests. If you are sending something that is already rooted, rinse most of the soil from the roots and then package it like we listed for the cuttings. Sorry for all the rules, but cuttings are wonderful if they are shipped carefully.

Aren't we a thrifty bunch to try to share our plants in this way? Sign up by Thursday, June 12th and I will get partners assigned on the 13th or 14th. Mail your package by Mon. June 23th.

Things that typically do well - help me out by posting some ideas to the thread: most herbs - rosemary, oregano, mint... shrubs like forsythia, quince, many salvias, plants like brugmansia, many houseplants, most antique roses root well, confederate rose, Christmas or Thanksgiving cactus, ivy or geranium cuttings, dusty miller, impatiens, sedum, pussywillow or other willows, kiwi, blueberry cuttings, hardy mums, night blooming cereus, kerria japonica, angel wing begonias, St. John's Wort, pothos. Coleus is very easy to root so if you have some to spare, it's fine to send.

If you send some bulbs, rhizomes, or corms do not wrap those in moist paper towels. Keep them dry for shipping. Keep thinking of ideas! You can look for information on how to root your cuttings online, but let's share and post ideas about what you have good luck rooting and methods you have used with success (or maybe what to avoid!) We will leave the rooting system up to the receiver.

I usually dip the end in rooting hormone and place the cutting in semi-shade. You need to keep it moist, but not soaking wet. With our weather here, I just water thoroughly every day or maybe a few times a day until roots develop. Some people "tent" the container in clear plastic to keep it moist and if that is how you usually succeed, that is fine. With our humidity, I don't usually need to do that. Some people put cuttings directly in the ground and cover them with a jar. Too hot here to do that, but it may work well where you are.

I hope after the swap you will come back to say how you rooted things and what was successful. We all want to learn more.

Jeanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new: june fotess swap: "snip and share"

Of course, I am signing up!

Cuttings I might like to receive: pelargoniums (or geranimums - the annual kind with the big flowers) - I would especially love to get some scented geraniums, rose cuttings, mums, coleus, salvia, hens and chicks, flowering quince, pussy willow, witch hazel, fatsia japonica, weigela, climbing (or regular) hydrangea, plectranthus, pawpaw, or sweet potato vine. I'm sure some members have at least one thing on this list. However, I will be happy with ANYTHING so don't feel intimidated by the list!

If anyone else wants to post a "suggestion list" - that's fine and if anyone who has signed up can match suggestions on someone's list, let me know by e-mail and I will see if I can arrange it so you send to that person.

Time to call it a night!
Jeanne

o

It ends-up that I'm going to have to pass, Jeanne. Thank you, though!

Sheri

This post was edited by Panhandle_Seed_Swap on Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 17:05

o

Cuttings are my second favorite way to grow! I'm afraid I could not help panhandle much though. I'm just starting to root a few myself this year.
Any cuttings would be appreciated, but here are a few plants I am looking for:
Mock Orange, scented or unscented cultivars
Buddleias
Tropicals of all kinds
Sweet potato vines
Antique Roses
Cupheas
Brugs
Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving Cactus
Hibiscus, Pavonia
Unusual Coleus
Viburnums
Lantana
VInes, including yellow trumpet vine (Campsis radicans 'Flava'), Porcelain Berry Vine, Silver Lace Vine
Fuchsias, especially hardy ones

Thanks, Alana

This post was edited by poisondartfrog on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 21:03

o

Alana! You've already helped me! Here's a photo of the Garden Wonder Dahlia that you sent me, this year, in an earlier FOTESS swap. She is tolerating the heat and humidity very well... thank you!

Sheri

This post was edited by Panhandle_Seed_Swap on Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 17:06

o

That looks great Sheri!

o

Oh, good - there are some people showing up to swap with me. Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!

We've been having rain lately so my plants are very happy.
Jeanne

o

I'll join this swap. I have a variety of things that I can send.
I'll have to think about what I might like
right now I can think of only Culinary Sage.
I'll add anything else I can think of to my Trade page.

But as Jeanne says, I'd be happy with anything.
And as Sheri says .... would love some bright orange or any other crazy-bright colors! :o)

Count me in!

I have to go and see if I can start a few cuttings to root.

******Also, Jeanne, I was splitting a couple plants last month and kept them in small pots, can I send these even if they are not cuttings, and are not something you normally would start from a cutting? Not daylilies .... that is unless someone would like a start from my daylilies. I can email you what they are if you would like to access them.

Ok, thats it .... I'm going OUTSIDE!

sharon

o

Howdy Jeanne,

I sent you an email earlier today. I'd love to join your group and join the swap. Cuttings I can contribute include: lemon, pineapple sage, chiapas sage, mugwort, several geraniums, several roses, gladiola bulbs, two types of passion vine, and possibly others. I'd have to take a really thoughtful walk through my yard. Let me know what I need to do to join you guys!

Erica

o

Jeanne, this is definately my kind of swap. Love starting things from cuttings and any new plants are welcome.
Wishes would be Angel Wings or Rex begonias, any roses,butterfly plant, most anything that blooms. Guess I better update the swap page.
Beth B

o

• Posted by sjc48 5 Michigan (My Page) on
    Sat, May 31, 14 at 19:38

Hi Everybody!
I'm going to set this one out but I wanted to share this pic with you: this is Sedum Autumn Joy, and I got the cutting in last year's swap! I forget who sent it to me, but it was the only cutting that made it. It has nearly tripled in size from last year. Great little plant!

And if anyone can tell me what's going on with my Columbine's leaves, I would greatly appreciate the info! It's on this one and all the lemon yellow ones.

Have a great Sunday,
Shirley!

o

Leaf miner, Shirley. The critters work inside the leaf mining out tunnels. Cut off the leaves containing them and destroy them. If all or most of the leaves are damaged cut the plant back completely once it is through blooming. It will grow back.

o

Sat, May 31, 14 at 20:46

Thanks, Alana!

o

Shirley... I've had really good luck using Bt on leaf miners. They really attack the zinnias in my garden and even the Bee Balm, last year.

Looks like a great group of people in this swap! I'll have to start looking at everyone's plant "want lists" today.

Sheri

o

This is my Pineapple Sage. Last year, it was a little Bonnie Plant at Ace Hardware. I actually planted it so the baby lizards could hide from the Mocking Birds. As you can see (to the right), the lizards love it... and so do I!

Sheri

o

Beautiful Sherri. One of my favorites. Wish I lived where it could survive the winter.
bb

o

The more the merrier! So glad others like to give cuttings a try.
Erica, I'll get back with you a bit later in the day and let you know what is involved in joining. Thanks for checking out our group!
Jeanne

o

Let me cruise through the garden today to check on things that I can possibly send. I do get a bit nervous because of the heat and sending. In the last few months, I have sent cuttings and rooted cuttings priority to some of my friends and they did not travel well....just to warm. When many of you were fighting the snow and cold, it was 90 plus degrees here.

I can send succulents cuttings for sure and would love to receive succulents......succulents are so safe to send...LOL!

I will check back in later today or tomorrow, after I scope things out.

Happy Sunday!!

Annie

o

I would love to join! I have some things I can send cuttings of and have lots of sedums to do cuttings from. I would love some brugs, been dying to start one and don't have any. But I'll be happy with whatever I get! I'm not a big rose person, they don't like me well, except for minis. I will have to look as not sure what all I have except succulents and few shrubs, rose of sharons. I'd also love some pussy willow, but like I said, I'll always be happy with whatever I get! Melinda

o

Jeanne-I love cuttings, sedums, herbs and all. Please sign me up for your swap.

Melinda-I can send you some black pussy willow cuttings and also the gray.

Shirley

o

I have not been active for a long time so this will be good. I think I should sign up for this. I have so many things I can cut and divide. Also so many things that I would like but to be surprised is good also. I've been looking what everyone has.
gmom

o

Would love to sign up! will post my wish list later....

Jayeanne

o

I will be sitting this one out but will visit from time to time. I will enjoy seeing what everyone is swapping.

o

Shirley, if we don't get to be partners, I'd love to have some of the pussy willow cuttings! We'll figure something out!
Hope everyone is having a great day, it is hot and humid, lots of rain. Weeds growing faster than the plants! LOL!
Melinda

o

OK, I am in. I know can help Melinda and Sheri out with a few things they might like and then some ????????...LOL!
I am happy with whatever I receive....

Happy Evening!

Annie

o

Ok a few things on my wish list....

anything scented ...roses, geraniums,
anything variegated.... looking for var. brug
succulents
anything blackish, foilage or flowers
salvia
pineapple mint
tropicals all kinds
cuphea
passion vine anything but purple
unusual coleus
rex begonias

I will love anything .... I see I also have several things on several of ya'lls wish lists =)

Jayeanne

o

How fun! What a great swap, Jeanne.

I think I am the "cutting newbie" here, so I am scouring YouTube and studying "plant cuttings" videos. I've learned a lot. So whoever gets my name can send me cuttings with no roots. I'll give it a go!

I found one video that makes it look easy. Now I really do want to walk around a nursery with a pair of scissors... ha! Is it really that easy?

I know that Leu Gardens near Orlando actually allows guests to take cuttings. The limit is 12... unless they've change the rules.

Sheri

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy Cuttings Video

o

I forgot to ask what everyone's favorite brand of rooting powder is, or does it make a difference?

o

Sheri, I don't use rooting hormone, as a rule. I keep some "Rootone" on hand, but unless I read that something is near impossible to root I don't bother with it.

o

I am going to sit this one out this month. I find it hard to resist but have so much to do in the gardens. The weather caused me to get a late start. I hope everyone has fun.

Sheri, that pineapple sage is beautiful. They are annual here but I put one in every year because the hummers love them.

I will stop in from time to time and see how things are going.

Margo

o

• Posted by ruthz 8 dfw texas (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 10:57

I've hesitated about joining this month for a couple of reasons.
Our temps are already in the 90's so I worry about the traveling part, and a few of my plants that died back from the cold just haven't grown enough to take cuttings yet.

With that being said I've decided to go ahead and join because I do have a couple of things that some people want.

Now my wishlist; Nothing hard to root. My rooting method is to stick it in a pot of regular soil or a vase with water.
Begonia's, Buddleias, Passion vine (Constance Elliott or Lady Margaret), Carolina Jasmine vine, or just surprise me. Sometimes I don't know I want it until I see it.
I've never been able to root roses except in the fall/winter but would give it another try if anyone has any of the roses on my want list.

Thought of more things to add to my wish list.

Creeping Jenny
Honeysuckle 'Major Wheeler'
Iresine
Mexican Flame Vine
Persian Shield
Plectranthus
Scaevola
Trailing Coleus

Any pretty spillers for large containers.

This post was edited by ruthz on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 14:42

o

This sounds like fun. I would like to join. I am interested in hydrangelas, clematis, roses, daylilies, iris, any small fast growing trees like Crimson, Japanese, and Sunset Maples and whatever you have. Will get my have list on my trade page before long--have to mow lawn now.

o

Happy Tuesday! I can't believe I didn't log on yesterday, but I had a midday doctor's appointment which threw everything off and then some errands to run.

What a great turnout for the cuttings swap. I am really looking forward to it, too! For those who can't participate, we'll miss you. Everyone in FOTESS is welcome to play the game this month --- yet to be thought of...

Signed up:
Jeanne
Shirley (NC)
Sheri
Sharon (toomany)
Sharon (gmom)
Jayeanne
Alana
Beth
Annie
Melinda
Ruth
Suzanne

So happy to see everyone! If you haven't swapped with us for awhile, we've missed you. And there's still time to sign up if you haven't.

I'll do my best to match people up according to your preferences, but it might make for some longer trips for the cuttings. Oh, well, for those who have preferences on what they can send and would like to receive, we'll give it a try! Priority mail is supposed to be "priority" all over they say. I confess my trade list is way out of date and has been for a long time so bravo to those who are updating, but don't count on mine. Maybe I'll get to it before the fall seed swaps.

The weather here gets an A+ from me lately. We got a cold spell, down to 60 at night and low 80s in the daytime. Low humidty! Wow, what a treat here in SC for late May - early June. I've done many things outdoors trying to get as much of the good weather as I could.

I'm sure I said I have spaghetti squash growing and it's in tomato cages. The blossoms are at the top and I guess it was deer that kept coming along and eating the blossoms! (So far I only have one squash growing.) Anyway at some point I heard to try Irish Spring soap to keep them away. Yes, now my tomato cages have bars of soap dangling from them. It worked for the first 24 hours - there are some blossoms once again so we'll see!

Sheri, I don't notice a difference in rooting hormone as far as the brand. I use a light dusting on anything I try to root except for mint or coleus. Those I can root in water.

Well, that's my update. Enjoy the evening. I'll think of a game for the month and get it posted by the end of the weekend.

Jeanne

o

Sign me up.
I keep going back and forth. At this particular moment I'm stressed out. On Sunday my mother, 70, fell and broke her hip. (She doesn't act 70. She acts 40.) She's a preschool teacher and teaches 42 kids in 4 classes September through May. The same day my 17-year-old daughter left for Boot Camp. She'll be a senior in high school next year. There are 2 sides of me. One side says, "No...my baby. Isn't she only 5 years old?" The other side of me says, "Go! Go now! Just leave! Get that itch for adventure out of your system! You're not backpacking through Europe and your boyfriend isn't at Boot Camp! Go!" lol
Sign me up. This might be a good therapy moment for me...rooting my cuttings! I'm not sure I have anything anyone wants. Most of my plants are very ordinary. I promise to be happy with whatever I get. Last time we did this the butterfly bush rooted. I felt like I deserved a gold medal! That was a first for me. I didn't believe I could do it!
Heidi

o

I really like rooting cuttings with cinnamon and it also helps prevent fungus in your cuttings.

Shirley

o

Cinnamon it is then, Shirley! Thank you, everyone, for the great advice.

Heidi, how did your mom fall? I hope she recovers well. There are times when it seems like I can hurt myself "doing nothing". Ice packs and heating pads are necessities in our house.
Sheri

o

Not sure how my mom fell. She doesn't remember much except being in pain in the corner of the room. It's my guess she hit the corner of the bathtub. She's being transferred to the hospital in our town. She had surgery on Monday and they expected her to walk on it (with a walker) by today (Wed). I think they're a little nuts. I understand they don't let people lay around like they used to, but that seems ridiculous to me.
I'll try cinnamon, too! Cinnamon is also the newest thing to take as a supplement to reduce high blood sugar.
Heidi

o

Welcome to the swap, Heidi. We're so happy to have you join in, but I'm very sorry to hear about your mother's fall and injury. I hope she heals well ... and soon!

Shirley, the idea of using cinnamon is a new one for me. Do you just dust it on the end of the cutting like you would with rooting hormone? I'll give it a try on some cuttings.

I have an idea for a game now - just need a few days to put it together. I also want to let everyone know that I have been looking over the e-mails about who you might match up with for sending cuttings. Will take them all into consideration when I match partners.

Jeanne

This post was edited by sandlapper_rose on Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 19:29

o

Things I have for snipping, are:
Butterfly bush-purple
Cat nip
Chocolate Mint
Concord Grapes
Garlic-Hardneck
Lavender-French
Munstead
Maple trees-Sugar
Oak trees
Onion-Walking
Rex Begonia
Rosemary
Sedum-Autumn Joy
Russian Sage.
Plus anything on my trade page.
I'm up for anything other than what I have. If there is anything anybody would like after this trade is over just let me know.
gmom

o

What I am trying to root right now for this swap:
Salvia 'Caradonna'
Salvia 'Walkers Low'
Russian sage - but it is looking sad.
Lovage - Levisticum officinale

I have small starts (with roots) of these plants that I pulled off the mother plants when Jeanne first mentioned this swap might happen.
Veronica' Royal Candles' - purple
Veronica spicata Giles Van Hees
A bunch of purple larkspur growing from seed, I'd be happy to send one or ten. LOL

I also have one or two clematis that I may be able to get a start with roots on them.

Roses -
I have a small New Dawn climbing rose and Fairy Rose that I rooted by layering.
I moved my Rock and Roll Rose early spring and just noticed that a small start is growing where it used to be. But I know some roses use a hardier rose as a base, so I would be unable to say it would end up being Rock and Roll.
Things I can send cuttings of:
Climbing hydrangea - my plant is small, so I would only be able to one or 2 cuttings of it.
Lonicera flava Native Yellow Honeysuckle - this is the one I have, not the invasive one. (maybe I should try to root a piece.)
several types of sedum.
oregano.
Ok, that is it for the cuttings and cuttings with roots. Of course other things on my list that I may be able to spare would be available also.

sharon

o

Wow, those are some great lists of possible cuttings! Can't wait...
I understand there are at least 2 people who have tried to join FOTESS and be in this swap and things don't seem to be coming through - I don't know if it's GardenWeb mail or e-mail. However, my e-mail seems to be fine with everything else so I think it may be from here. We still have a week for sign ups so I think we can get it squared away by then.
If you're reading the board, I've checked my spam folder, etc. and am watching for anything that might arrive.
Up to 95 or 96 degrees today. We have the chance of afternoon storms for about the next 7 days so I hope we get some of them.
Jeanne

o

I'll list a few things I have in case that helps Jeanne match partners.
Hydrangeas, Climbing and Annabelle
Pussy Willow
Weigelas, florida variegata and White Knight
Buddleia, Sungold
Rotheca myricoides (Blue Butterfly Clerodendrum)
Pavonia praemorsa
Coleus, Tilt-A-Whirl, Green Autrey, Burgundy Wedding Train, Religious Radish
Ruellia elegans
I have a few Daylily seedlings from my named crosses
Roses, The Fairy, Golden Zest (English Shrub type) a pale pink one I grew from cuttings taken at an old cemetery 30 years ago. I have started new plants and shared that one several times. I'll post a photo this weekend if I can remember.

o

Yes Jeanne you use the cinnamon just like root tone. And most everyone always has cinnamon in their pantry.

Here's some things I have:

Hydrangea 'Lady In Red'
Hydrangea 'Endless Summer'
Hydrangea 'Nikko Blue'
Sedum ' Abbeydore'
Sedum 'T Rex'
Sedum 'Pure Joy'
Sedum Garnet Brocade'
Sedum 'Autumn Charm'
Sedum 'Autumn Joy'
Variegated Weigela 'Pink Splash'
Weigela 'Red Prince'
Black Pussy Willow
Gray Pussy Willow
Yellow Knock Out Rose
Red Knock Out Rose
Corkscrew Willow
Variegated Rose Of Sharon 'Sugar Tip'

Shirley

o

Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 22:15

Hi Everyone, just dropping in to say hi!
Heidi, hope your Mom is doing well.
Katie and Sheri, I've been trying to email you both,
and Yahoo has shut down on me completely.
Please email me, okay?
Jeanne, hope you get the rain! This swap sounds like it's going to be great!
Shirley!

o

Shirley C. ... sent you an email.:)

Sheri

o

Jeanne, I would like to join this swap. Yesterday I sent an email but it looks it didn't go thru. What are the rules to join? Sending email again. Thanks

o

Heidi's Have List:
Angel Trumpet Vine-no id
Aster-New England purple
Blue Heaven Petite Butterfly Bush
Burr Oak seedling
Euphorbia Characias-rooted
Garden mums-can't guarantee color-red, orange, yellow, purple bi-color
Hellebore
Lily of the Valley-White (with roots-need to be thinned a bit)
Phlox subulata-purple
Sedums
•==Autumn Joy-sends up flat-headed flower spikes that turn pink to dark rose in the fall. Hardy.
•==Dragon's Blood
Solidago, Goldenrod Giganteum
Virginia Creeper

Wants:
Hardy hibiscus, prefer bright color

BTW I'll be happy with whatever I get. I promise to smile and be grateful!

o

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 20:58

Well, after much debate, I think I will sit this one out this month. I have plants to share, but I don't know if I will be able to provide the attention needed for cuttings I might receive. But, I will be stopping by from time to time to catch up!

Heidi, so sorry to hear about your mom. I wish her a speedy recovery. She sounds like an amazing woman!

Shirley, I just sent you an email.

Katie

This post was edited by kchd on Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 21:00

o

Howdy Jeanne,

I think I'm one of the people that you have had problems contacting. I've been in touch with kchd (Katie) and she said you were having problems emailing me. I just sent you another email a few mins ago. Hopefully you receive it.

Thanks for considering me,
Erica

o

Jasmine, my e-mail must have reached you and yours reached me. So glad. Welcome to the group!
Jasmine's garden web name is jas_il.
I'm adding your name to the swap.

Swap participants
Jeanne
Shirley (NC)
Sheri
Sharon (toomany)
Sharon (gmom)
Jayeanne
Alana
Beth
Annie
Melinda
Ruth
Suzanne
Heidi
Jasmine

If I left anyone off, let me know and there is still more time to sign up.

My garden is very pretty once again. The daylillies do lots of their blooming early in June!

I'm going to post the game soon. Be back to do that. Any FOTESS member can play even if you are not signed up for this month's swap. I hope you enjoy it.
Jeanne

o

Here's our game:

I just created this game so I hope it works. I’m using the word cut to go along with our Snip and Share theme.
What I’m going to do is list 6 words at a time. Each will have the 3 letters c-u-t in that order somewhere in the word. I’ll show the number of letters by doing underline spaces for the unknown letters and adding the total number of letters in parentheses after the word. Each day I will pick 2 letters from the alphabet and if they are included in the words I’ll fill those letters in “Wheel of Fortune” style. You can guess only one time a day and only if you guess two of the words at a time. You have to have both correct in order to score one point. As words are guessed, I’ll add new ones. Whoever has the most points by June 25th will be the winner. (Or sooner if I run out of words to post!)
Post your guesses here on the thread because several people seem to be having trouble with e-mail and I think it’s would be too difficult to do this using e-mail anyway. Good luck to everyone and if you don't understand my instructions, just ask.

Here’s the first group of words:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (11)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ (7)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ (7)
_ _ _ _ _ (5)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ (7)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ (7)

I drew the letters v and s. That only helps with the first word.
Here it is with the letters filled in.

_ _ _ s _ _ _ _ _ v _ (11)

I may come up with another game to add later. Still thinking...

Jeanne

o

Jeanne, Thanks for accepting my request.

Have list
---------
vibernum cuttings.
New england aster purple, dark pink cuttings
Succulents
Jade
Finger jade goleum
coleus rainbow
Spider plants
rhipsalis
Potato vine chartreuse
Edible sage
Mint apple, spear,
Star Sedum (rooted)
Donkey's tail
Gloriosa daisy
Shasta daisy
Creeping Jenny (rooted)
Hydrangea anabella cuttings
Orange turmpet vine
Strawberry
Raspberry cuttings
curly willow
Potho - Philodendron
African violet leaf - bloom fuchia
Water Plant
-------------
Christmas moss
Hornwort
Duckweed

Wants:
==========
--Coleus any unusual variety in red, burgundy, pink, oranges, lime, purple or any
--Clematis Nelly mooser or similar, red or double flowered one
--Echeveria 'Blue Curls' or similar or any other ones
--hens and chicks
--Succulent bead plant
--Sempervivums any
--cactus any ball type or barrel type
--Cactus Christmas, easter, thanksgiving
--Salvia 'Caradonna' or similar darker variety
--Perinial salvia snow hill, blue queen or similar
--Aoneum
--Shamrock purple or any other color corm
--fern painted
--Dahlia big varieties tubers (cuttings doesn't root for me)
--Pond plant papyrus, zebra rush, corkskrew rush, any floaters (I have duck weed)
--Impatience (not balsam)
--Sedums carpet type,
--Creeping phlox white purple
--Begonias rex
--Primula dwarf variety
--Lilly oriental any
--Lilly nacked ladies
--Bougainvillea
--Mandavilla rooted cutting
--Lace leaf Japanese maple

o

My guess for today:
c and e

o

Im going to guess letters....

J and A

Jayeanne

o

Jasmine, thanks for guessing, but what you need to guess are the words - what they will be once the letters are added. Guesses must be two words at a time, no more and no less. Two words guessed correctly give you 1 point. Today's letters are f and h.

There was one "h" so I filled it in.

_ _ _ s _ _ _ _ _ v _ (11)
h _ _ _ _ _ _ (7)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ (7)
_ _ _ _ _ (5)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ (7)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ (7)

At this rate it might take a few days before any of this makes sense. I'm sure once I pick letters found many times in the words, it will really move along!

Meanwhile, I noticed a late May and two June birthdays. I'm going to list them now because sadly we are late for two people and I'm afraid if I don't add our 3rd member I may forget later on. I hope you day was happy (will be happy) and have a wonderful year ahead!

Wishing beautiful gardens this year for these birthday girls! Happy Birthday to:
Michelle (micyrey) May27
Jayeanne (pinkiris) June 3
Annie (canyonwind) June 24

Also, today we have a new member, Erica (EricaBraun). Welcome, Erica! You are here just in time to start playing my word game --- and, of course, be added to the swap.

Swap participants
Jeanne
Shirley (NC)
Sheri
Sharon (toomany)
Sharon (gmom)
Jayeanne
Alana
Beth
Annie
Melinda
Ruth
Suzanne
Heidi
Jasmine
Erica

There is still one person who is trying to get the information sent to me in order to join. I have no idea what the issue is on getting mail back and forth. We've never had this bad of a problem before.

Have a good weekend, everyone . We got rain last night - hooray - of course, after I dragged the hoses around to water the garden!

Jeanne

o

My 2 guesses for today are cutting and haircut! I have thought about it and I have many things for cuttings, but really need to be at home to remember them all!
2 antigue roses-one pink and one maroon. Very old, no names, climbers
many different sedums
3 types of rose of Sharon
lilac
forsythia-Lynwood gold
crepe myrtles
goldflame spirea
wintergreen
vinca major variegatera
hydrangea arborescens
mock orange Philadelphia
kerria-japanese rose
I'd love besides things listed before are coleus, hydrangeas, passion vines, clematis vines, whatever! I love it all!
Have a great day!
Hugs to all, Melinda

o

Melinda.
Thanks for guessing. No points for you yet though. Please try again tomororw.
Jeanne

o

Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 10:16

I will guess haircut and consecutive

o

My guess is offcuts and haircut

o

Ruth has a point! Great job guessing, Ruth. The two words were conseCUTive and hairCUT.

I'm revising the list by adding 2 new words at the end of the list. Normally the new words will not get the letters filled in until the letters are selected once again, but I'm giving a hint for this weekend (and I will likely do that from time to time). These new words did not have V,S,F, or H in them. Here's your list now.
If you haven't guessed yet today, you can give it a try.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ (7) Added on 6/6
_ _ _ _ _ (5) Added on 6/6
_ _ _ _ (4) Added on 6/7
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (9) Added on 6/7

Hopefully tomorrow I will pull some letters that will fill something in. Blank slate right now!

Letters that were picked:
6/6 v and s
6/7 f and h

Jeanne

o

I'm excited to be part of the group. I'm looking mostly for edibles, as I have a limited amount of space to grow:
Any fruit or vegetable from my "want" list
Berry bushes (except blackberry)
Culinary and Medicinal herbs from my long seed "want" list
Curry Leaf
Garlic, Serpent (Allium sativum ophioscorodon)
Hausa Potato Mint, (Plectranthus edulis)
Kaffir Lime
Katuk (Sauropus androgynus)
Tree Collards
Oca (Oxalis tuberosa)
Orach, Sea (Atriplex halimus)
Pandan (suckers or offshoots)
Seakale
Spinach, Okinawan (Gynura crepioides)
Yacon
Mashua

Here's what I have available:
Herbs:
Lavender (several unknown, uncommon cultivars)
Lavender, Spanish
Mint, Mojito
Mugwort
Oregano
Oregano, Za'atar
Rosemary
Sage, Pineapple
Sage, Chiapas
Stevia
Sweet Woodruff
Tarragon, French
Thyme, English
Thyme, Lemon
Thyme, Orange Basalm
Yarrow

Flowers:
Australian Native Violet
Butterfly Bush, Dark Purple
Carnation, Fuchsia Picotee
Dianthus, Floral Lace Violet Picoteee
Geranium (unknown cultivars - one fuchsia Zonal, one fuchsia Regal)
Geranium, Burgundy Ivy
Geranium, Lt. Lavender Splash
Geranium, Pale Pink Rosebud
Gladiola, Orange (bulbs)
Honeysuckle, Japanesse
Passion Flower (unknown cultivar w/ purple flowers)
Passion Flower - Passiflora x belotii
Roses (several unknown cultivars)
Shasta Daisy
Star Jasmine

Trees:
Bay Laurel
Lemon
Lime, Bearss
Orange, Navel
Pomegranate

This post was edited by EricaBraun on Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 14:29

o

I'll guess
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ (7) Added on 6/6 is cutdown

_ _ _ _ _ (5) Added on 6/6 is uncut

Fun game!
sharon

o

I'm going to guess:
Cute
Acute

o

A point for Erica! Great guessing!

Once again, it the letters were selected yesterday or today, I filled them in on the spaces.
If you haven't guessed yet today, you can give it a try.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (9) Added on 6/7
s _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (11) Added on 6/7
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ (7) Added on 6/7

o

I'm guessing haircut and subacutely!
Hope everyone has a wonderful day!
Great guesses Erica! Way to go!
Big hugs to all, off to church! Melinda

o

No one else has guessed both of their answers correctly so on we go. Today's letters are t and y.

_ _ t _ _ _ _ (7) Added on 6/6
_ _ t _ _ _ y (7) Added on 6/6
_ _ _ _ _ t _ _ _ (9) Added on 6/7
s t _ _ _ _ _ t t _ _ (11) Added on 6/7
_ _ _ _ _ _ t (7) Added on 6/7

Continued best luck!
Jeanne

o

Hope I'm doing this right. I just took time to read the instructions.
I'm thinking cuticle and cutlery.

o

Congratulations, Alana. You guessed 2 of the words and now have 1 point. A 3 way tie with Alana, Ruthz, and Erica!

Updating the list.
_ _ _ _ _ t _ _ _ (9) Added on 6/7
s t _ _ _ _ _ t t _ _ (11) Added on 6/7
_ _ _ _ _ _ t (7) Added on 6/7
_ _ t _ _ (5) Added on 6/8
_ _ t _ _ _ _ (7) Added on 6/8

o

Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 13:24

For today I will guess

executive
cutback

o

My guess is
Stonecutter
Overcut

o

Ruth and Jasmine - no points today, but good guesses!

o

I'll guess:
cutup
cutting

o

Today I will guess
Cutlets
Executive

Jeanne, I have a question about the game.
Does anything happen if you guess one word wrong and one word right?
We don't know if one of the words is right and it remains in the list ... right?
I just want to be sure since I'm reusing Ruths word ... Executive
Hope that makes sense. LOL
sharon

o

Candy Cane Park. I've been working on this flowerbed for several years. It used to be 90% weeds. Now it's full of flowers. The daisies and dianthus are blooming. Next the milkweed will be in bloom. The sunflowers are growing like crazy and they'll be full of color later in the year.
 photo 20140608dianthus2_zpsbc674b98.jpg

This used to be weeds--all weeds.
Bishops Weed Cozad Nebraska photo 20140608bishopsweed_zpsa2214b11.jpg

Milkweed! Welcome butterflies!
 photo 20140608milkweed_zpse328b527.jpg

Heidi

o

Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 21:44

Beautiful photos, Heidi! What is the little variegated plant? And does it have flowers that look like Queen Anne's Lace? Thanks for sharing these! I remember you posted pics when you first started this project - 100% improvement!

Welcome to FOTESS, Erica and Jas_il!

Shirley!

o

Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 22:24

Heidi, those flowerbeds looks amazing! I love seeing updates on your flowerbed progress in all those public spaces. So awesome!!

And a BIG OLE WELCOME to Erica! Nice to see you join this group :)

o

Thank you all for the welcome! It's great to be here. I can't wait to start participating in the group's swaps and activities!

*hugs all around*

o

WELCOME to Erica and Jasmine! So excited to see you join. :)

Sheri

o

Nice to see you here, Erica and Jasmine!
Heidi, I too love to see the updates to your park project. It's looking great.

Today I'm going to guess
executive
stonecutter

Have a great Monday.

o

Heidi... I love what you've done at the park. You're awesome for doing that! Did you have to get permission, or did you just start plant a bit at a time?

Sheri

o

Today I would like to guess one from my previous one.
executive
stonecutter

o

Thanks everyone for welcome. I am glad to join this group.

o

No correct guesses yet. Answering your question, Sharon. If you guess one word right and one word wrong, nothing happens. The right word will stay on the list because both have not been guessed by the same person at the same time. I hope that helps.

Today I selected letters e and j.

Updating the list.
e _ _ _ _ t _ _ _ (9) Added on 6/7
s t _ _ e _ _ t t e _ (11) Added on 6/7
_ _ e _ _ _ t (7) Added on 6/7

Hope you have a good guessing day!

Heidi, you need to be so proud of that garden. It's beautiful and such variety!

Jeanne

o

Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 12:27

my guesses for today

s t _ _ e _ _ t t e _ (11) Added on 6/7 = stonecutter
_ _ t _ _ (5) Added on 6/8 = cutup

o

I started at the park when my kids were younger. They'd play and I'd play in the flowers. They told me I'd get arrested. The city guys came one June and used the weedeater on everything. That upset me. I started putting flags next to flowers so the next time they came they wouldn't cut down the flowers. That messed up their plans and they didn't use the weedwhacker. Also since I was pulling up weeds they just let me do it. Then I added flowers-bought some, transplanted from my house, other people donated. Two years ago the city guy asked if I would help at another park, too. I said yes and the fun began!
The city guy had 2 flower beds for me to work on. Next thing he knew I was calling him to dig up 6 bushes that had taken over a third bed right along the street. Then a store had tulips on sale so I planted 200 bulbs as a memory garden for the women in town who lost the battle to cancer in a fourth bed. I put up decorations with their names on them. The tulips come back every year! The city guys have equipment and muscle I don't have! They dump off a load of mulch or a pile of dirt for me. Then I go around and weed and plant, shape things and spruce things up that have been there for 10 years with no attention. There are a couple other ladies who keep an eye on things, too. They are in their 80s and can't do as much. It's nice to have a variety of people working on it and working together. There's a walking trail that's used a lot so many people get to see the flowers and enjoy them.
GW has played a big part because so many of these plants started as GW seed trades.
The other great part about working in the parks is that they automatically get watered. That's wonderful! Really flowers should be shared with everyone!
Heidi

o

My guesses:
Elocution
Stonecutter

o

I have a couple more things I can offer as cuttings
Aster, Lady in Black, a Christmas Cactus that bloomed when it was supposed to but has decided to bloom again now and some small rooted plants of Nicotania Sylvestrus, Only the Lonely

o

Congratulations to Erica who now has 2 points with her latest correct guess. The words guessed were elecution and stonecutter.

I'm adding 2 more words to keep the list at 6.
_ _ e _ _ _ t (7) Added on 6/7
_ _ _ _ _ _ t (7) Added on 6/9
s _ _ _ _ _ _ t (8) Added on 6/9

I'll be drawing 2 more letters tomorrow! Best of luck.

Here's a picture of one of my daylilies. They are so pretty right now. I'm almost certain this one is Pumpkin Pie Spice although I got it long ago and there's no tag to read on or around it. we call those little bluish purple flowers Mexican Petunia around here. I'm not sure what the name might actually be. They have popped up everywhere in my flower bed this year and I think they're cute.

Have a great evening.
Jeanne

o

Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 19:03

Very pretty flowers Jeanne.
We call it Mexican petunia also.
It is a Ruellia species. Not sure which one.
I have one that usually stays about 12", but sometimes gets taller.
My daylilies are doing great right now also. It's fun to see which one has bloomed every morning and get pictures.
Good guessing Erica.

o

Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 19:25

Hi Ladies,
Just dropping by to see how the swap is going.

Jasmine, so sorry I missed wishing you a Welcome to FOTESS greeting! I received seeds from you in one of the Winter 2013 swaps (either the SSS swap or the WLOMWL swap), so I recognize your name :)

Jeanne and Margo, those Mexican petunias are Ruellia brittoniana. There is a dwarf variety, which my sister has, but they can also revert to the wild-type which gets up to 3 ft tall.

Heidi, I love hearing about your community flower gardens. One day, I am going to cruise thru your town just to view your handiwork!

Katie

o

Thank you so much everyone for welcome.

Kchd I too got seeds from you. Nice to meet you here again.

Alana nice to see you too I was in one of your swaps and got lots of seeds from you from various swaps.

o

Great garden story, Hiedi. It sounds like something I'd do. Who can rest an empty flower bed? Not me! It's like a blank canvas. :)

Jeanne, really pretty Pumpkin Pie Spice. So many Buds! Do we get partners today? I'm going to see what on sale in the garden departments today.

Sheri

o

Heidi: I just want to say how much I enjoyed hearing your adventures gardening in public space. Very glad you have included Asclepias for the monarchs. I am new to gardenweb, still mulling over what I have to snip or what is red white and blue.

o

2 more letters for today: b and w
(...and so sorry, I forgot to include one of the t's. It has now been added. I rechecked the whole list today just in case and it's good I did!)

_ _ t w _ _ _ (7) Added on 6/6
_ _ e w _ _ t (7) Added on 6/7
_ _ t b _ _ _ (7) Added on 6/8
s h _ _ t _ _ t (8) Added on 6/9

Good luck!

Signups end on Thursday so I'll be selecting partners on Friday. Here's another daylily to brighten your day!

Jeanne

o

Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 9:17

Another beautiful daylily
My guesses today

crewcut
shortcut

o

Although I'm pretty sure ruthz has this one, I'll guess:
cutworm
cutback

o

Life has gotten in the way...I think the only day I can send to my partner is....Monday, June 16. Whoever sends my way, please do not send until after June 28. But on the other hand, if they are succulent cuttings, it really does not matter.

I really should be pulling out of this swap....but I really do not want to do it. However, Jeanne, if this creates a problem because my partner can not send my way until after June 28, then you can remove me. I would have never signed up had I known I was going to be gone so much.

Happy Tuesday...

Annie

o

Annie, I'll be happy to send to you and can do it after June 28th so don't worry a bit. We would love to have you stay in the swap!

And... I logged on and saw we have 2 winners aleady today! Ruth and Erica each had 2 correct words in their guesses.
The words guessed are:
crewcut
shortcut
cutwork
cutback.

I'll be busy adding some more words to the list. Be back with that in a bit. Dinner is calling me!

Jeanne

o

_ _ t t_ _ _ s (8) Added on 6/10
_ _ t _ e t (6) Added on 6/10
_ e _ s e _ _ t _ _ _ (11) Added on 6/10
b _ _ _ _ _ t (7) Added on 6/10

Players, I am not going to add any more words to this over the next few days so I can start to match players. I want to look at carefully at the lists of what you have and would like to receive. You can continue to guess though and I'll let you know if you get them right and I'll still pick 2 letters a day.

I think next week will be game #2 which will be similar (but a different set of 3 letters) and we will have a winner for this week and then another winner for next week. Hope that's okay.

Jeanne

o

I so hate to do this! But I'm going to have to cancel on this month's swap and just watch all you get wonderful things ! I apologize for doing so late in the month! Melinda

o

Sounds fine Jeanne.
How about persecution and buzzcut?

o

I'm going to pick-up the smallest Priority Mail Flat Rate Box today. I'm curious to see what I can fit in it.

Sheri

o

Just a suggestion, Sheri, Have a look at the flat rate bubble envelope. They will allow a little more space and protect cuttings nicely for about the same cost.

o

Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 8:35

My guesses today

cutlet
cuttings

o

We have 2 more wins and a point for each!
Alana guessed persecution and buzzcut.
Ruth guessed cuttings and cutlet.

The score is Ruth 3 points
Alana 2 points
Erica 2 points

Wonder if anyone will figure out the last two?
_ _ _ o _ _ t (7) Added on 6/9

The letters I picked today were m and o. There was one "o".

I thought I would comment about the flat rate bubble envelopes (and I haven't used them for cuttings of plants so just a thought) - they might trap in too much moisture since it sounds similar to wrapping the whole plant in something plastic. I really don't know from experience though. All I can say is with as hot as it is here, it's better if the plant can breath a bit. It might work fine for hard stem cuttings from trees and shrubs. Anyway, if someone sends that way, we'll see how it goes. My advice if you do that is lots of padding - maybe shredded paper? I wonder if you can cut air holes in the bubble envelopes? The post office might give you a strange look!

Melinda, so sorry you need to drop out, but I understand. Keep visiting!

Talk later.
Jeanne

o

My guesses:
cutup
linocut

o

I think I've bit-off more than I can chew this month.

Regretfully, I'm going to pull-out of this swap. So sorry, Jeanne. It is getting really steamy-hot here, too. Thank you so much.

Sheri

o

Erica, Sorry that's not quite it.
Sheri, Sorry you need to drop out. That's fine. Stop back to chat and play the games if you have a chance.
Jeanne

o

Drats! I suppose I can try again in a little bit. Lol.

o

My guesses for today:
cutie
linocut

o

Sorry this last guess has turned out to be so hard. I'm giving a hint: one of the words means a waxlike, water-repellent material present in the walls of some plant cells. I hope that helps.

Erica, you were the only one to guess today and you can guess once again today if you like.

Partners tomorrow! I will be looking through plants lists when the thunderstorms aren't interupting my time on the computer.

Jeanne

o

Yay for another guess! And thanks for the hint!
I'll guess:
cutin
linocut

o

Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 16:28

Looks like Erica got it, so I'll pass on guessing today.

I'll be happy to know who I'm sending to so I can start working on it.
I'm hoping the temps hold off on the extreme heat a little longer.
We were expecting severe weather today but nothing so far except a little rain.

We're taking my grandson for a CT scan in the morning.
He's had fevers for over a month now and keeps throwing up and losing weight.

o

Ruth, so sorry about your grandson. Hope all goes well at the hospital and they can figure out what's wrong. I'm wishing you all the best.

o

Congratulations to Erica! Cutin and linocut are correct and you are the weekly winner!
Erica - 3 points
Ruth - 2 points
Alana - 1 point
Come back to play next week with a different set of 3 letters being featured.

Ruth, I hope they find out what is wrong with your grandson. It's so frightening not to know and he has been sick a long time. I'm sending prayers and good thoughts that way.

Now back to trying to match partners!
Jeanne

o

I'm sorry Ruth. I hope all turns out to be well.

o

Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 21:06

Ruth, hope all goes well with your grandson. I'm keeping him in my thoughts and prayers,
Shirley!

o

After confusion on my part matching people by what others would like (did the best I could), here is the swap list. Please notice we have 2 Sharons so make sure you send to the right one. Also, 2 Shirleys, but only Shirley in NC is signed up for this month. For the person sending to Beth, I believe her address is different right now, so please touch base with her before sending. Okay... here we go!

Jeanne sends to Annie (canyonwind)
Alana sends to Jeanne (sandlapper_rose)
Ruth sends to Jayeanne (pinkiris)
Jayeanne sends to Shirley (brittneysgran)
Beth sends to Alana (poisondartfrog)
Shirley sends to Suzanne (hibiscusfan)
Sharon (toomanyanimals) sends to Ruth (ruthz)
Sharon (gmom2-6boys) sends to Erica (ericabraun)
Jasmine sends to Beth (beth_b_kodiak)
Erica sends to Sharon (toomanyanimals)
Annie sends to Jasmine (jas_il)
Heidi sends to Sharon (gmom2-6boys)
Suzanne sends to Heidi (xiangirl)

As you recall, I will be sending to Annie at the end of the month because of her schedule. Annie, will it be okay if I mail out on the 30th? I'd like to get the package out on a Monday and hopefully that will get it there before mail stops for July 4th.

If you've lost your member list or can't get in touch with your partner by GardenWeb or other e-maiI I have addresses (except for Beth). Beth, will you send your new mailing address to me in case I need it?

Please, everyone, make sure you see your name on the list both to send and receive. I can't tell you how many times I double and triple checked, but just in case...

Okay, now everyone can be thinking of what to send.
Enjoy! Please post when you send and when you receive. I'll start a new game on Sunday or Monday.

Jeanne

o

Good times! I sent messages to both my sender and receiver. If either of you (gmom2-6boys and toomanyanimals) don't receive your emails, please let me know.

Many exciting days ahead!
Erica

o

Erica, I haven't received an email from you so I've sent you my address myself. Please let me know if you received it.

And Ruth, I have your address. I hear how hot it can be down there at this time of year, so I will try and send you all rooted plants.

Jeanne, I have to say I was surprised at the distance I am sending my box and the distance I am receiving from. I know you said you were trying to match up wants also, but California and TX?
Oh well, who knows, all could turn out just fine.
I know it isn't easy to please everyone.
sharon

o

Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 8:46

Sharon, don't worry about sending only rooted plants.
And just 2 or 3 things will be fine for me.
I'm still trying to get all of my winter sown stuff planted, and
I don't really need anything, so whatever you send will be good.

I actually only joined in this month because a few people had brugs on their want list, and since I have a selection, I thought I would share.

Jayeanne (pinkiris) , I have your address.
I only have one brugmansia that's variegated and it's green on green (Emerald Frost). It really isn't big enough for a good cutting, but I think I can take a small one.
Are you interested in any brugs that aren't variegated?

This post was edited by ruthz on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 13:59

o

Many people had "wants" on their list that did not seem to be easy to find in local nursuries and matched with some others who had the plants they wanted, so I admit I matched more towards the "wants" and "haves" rather than focusing so much on the distance.

If we are sending with 2-day priority mail, the boxes should arrive in 3 days. I hope it all turns out well - it not, we know who to blame: Me!

Have fun with it! And please let us know if you have success with the cuttings. The last time I participated in a cuttings swap we sent very early in the year - maybe March and I think everything was too dormant to do well. Although that is when I got a kiwi cutting and a butterfly bush cutting that rooted and I still have them. :-)

Jeanne

o

Jeanne, I'm not upset, just surprised and your right, it is fun to receive plants you want. And if can't get my cuttings to root I'm definitely NOT going to blame you ... I'll be putting that blame right where it belongs .... Me. LOL

I've been thinking of a different way to send newly rooted plants and just may give it a try as long as everything fits the way I hope.
Sharon

o

Jeanne, your sending to me on the 30th is perfect!!! Thank you so much! Make life easy on yourself...you do not need to send me much! I am happy with anything and everything!

Jasmine, I do not have your address (just emailed you via GW). I just checked my FOTESS membership list and you are not on it. Would you (or somebody) please email me your full name and address ASAP. I am going to send out Monday morning. Gosh, I even have a some things I think you will enjoy!!

Ruth, thoughts and prayers for your Grandson.....
I do hope the CT Scan provide an answer.....

Happy Friday!!

Annie

This post was edited by canyonwind on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 13:03

o

Annie, I sent you an email with my address.

beth_b_kodiak, I have sent an email for your mailing address to send plants.
Thanks
Jasmine

o

Toomanyanimals,

I received your email and replied to it. If perchance you don't receive it again, I'm posting it below. You should be able to email me back directly as I seem to get your mail just fine. Here is the email I sent you, in case you don't receive it:

Meh. It seems that some email accounts filter my email straight into spam. Here's hoping that you get this reply.

Please look over the plants I have available and let me know which are of interest to you. If we get everything coordinated this weekend, I'd love to mail to you on Mon.

Look forward to hearing back from you,

Erica

EricaBraun--GW

o

Jeanne, I'll be away this weekend. I will likely mail to you on Tuesday unless you prefer a different time.
Have a good weekend everyone.

o

Its been a busy week here even with the rain....

Ruth - Yes I would be interested in a few even if they are not variegated. I just didnt have any variegated ones and thought I might try my hands on one this year. (its on my wish list, I will not be disappointed if you can not get a cutting - I will be happy with whatever you decide to send Ruth =)

Enjoy your evening ladies!

Jayeanne

o

I've got to say I'm really excited about adding to my very small herb garden.
Can't wait till that box arrives! LOL
Sharon

o

Erica I did not receive an email. I'm sending to you.

Heide, I'm sending you an email.
gmom

o

Erica, Check my list and let me know what you would like.
I also have chives and garlic chives that are not on my list.
gmom
Sharon

o

Sharon (gmom),

I just responded to the email you sent me. Hopefully you will receive it. If not, let me know and I can post on this thread what I'd love to get from your choices.

Thanks so much for sharing!
Erica

o

beth_b_kodiak,

It looks my email didn't go thru which I sent yesterday so I am sending it again. Please let me know if you don't get it.

o

Sorry not to have been available before now. My husband and I were going out to eat around lunch time today (we didn't want to be at the restaurants tomorrow when they will likely be very busy) and the man behind us hit my car. Some remember my car was just hit from behind in January and I am still dealing with back issues from that. I had an epideral pain shot in my back about 2 1/2 weeks ago and was finally able to get around a bit. Well, after speaking with my husband for a few minutes and giving us his name and the name of his insurance company, the man drove off. I had called 911 to get a report done and he wasn't there for more than a few minutes. We, on the other hand, waited there for 2 hours for an officer to show up. (They are that shorthanded and busy, so I don't fault them for that.) So we just hope the claim goes through okay. My car had been fully repaired from the January accident and will have to go back to the shop again. Anyway, it was not a good day and I just hope this doesn't affect my back too much. Of course, it's sore today. I've been staying quiet and had ice on it and took something for pain.

I'll send out the revised address list in a few minutes. I know some could not get it or could not read it as an attachment last time so If that's the case, let me know and we'll figure out another way. I have everyone on the list now.

Happy Father's Day to all the dads tomorrow!

Jeanne

o

Jeanne,

I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. Hopefully it didn't exacerbate your pre-existing problem too much.

Wishing you a super speedy recovery,
Erica

o

Oh Jeanne, Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope you don't have more problems from this.
Hugs, ( nice gentle easy ones)

o

Jeanne....thinking of you!

Annie

o

New week, new game. I thought the letter combination n-i-p was similar to c-u-t so I'm trying that. When you play the game this week, you are trying to identify the word by looking for words that contain "nip" somewhere in the word. I picked 2 letters to fill in to get us started and they are d and i. Unfortunately none of the words has a "d" so here we go:

_ _ _ _ i _ (6) <- CATNIP (has been guessed)
_ _ _ _ _ i _ (7) <- PARSNIP (has been guessed)
_ _ _ i _ _ _ _ _ _ (10)
_ _ i _ _ _ _ (7)
_ _ i _ _ _ (6)
_ i _ _ _ i _ _ (8)

Remember in order to guess you have to guess 2 words at a time and both have to be correct in order for you to get a point. You cannot guess any more frequently than one time a day.
Good luck on this week's game!

Jeanne

P.S. I updated this in case someone did not read as posted below that Alana guessed the first two words.

This post was edited by sandlapper_rose on Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 15:47

o

Sorry about the accident Jeanne! I hope you recover quickly.
I'll try catnip and parsnip.

o

Jeanne,
I am so sorry to hear about your accident. Praying for you.

o

Sharon (toomanyanimals), I sent your package today.

o

Alana got our first two words of the week! Congratulations!
Catnip and parsnip were at the top of the list. I'll add 2 new words a bit later today.
Jeanne

o

I sent out my box to gmom2-6boys Sharon today. I borrowed a couple clippings from a neighbor.
Jeanne, what brainpower you have! Even after double bumper incidents. I'm not much good at the game, but I like watching and trying.
Heidi

o

I'll guess:

Sniper
Snippet

o

I guess:
manipulate
sniper

Heidi

o

I'm going to give both Erica and Heidi a point. They each had 2 correct words and posted so close together that I doubt they saw the other guess. Great effort, ladies!

Adding words:
_ i _ _ _ i _ _ (8) Posted on first list
_ _ _ _ i _ (6)
_ _ _ i _ _ _ (7)
_ _ _ i _ _ _ _ _ _ (10)
_ _ _ i _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (12)
_ _ _ _ i _ _ i _ _ (10)

I have a long meeting to attend in the morning so I may not be drawing letters and posting them until after lunch, but I won't forget!

Jeanne

o

Beth, I have shipped your box today thru priority.

DC# 9405 5096 9993 8541 2988 94

Jasmine
jas_il

o

Jasmine,

Your box went out Priority this morning...they say Wednesday for delivery.

Tracking # 9114 9012 3080 3681 0383 24

I do hope you enjoy and that everything arrives as it should...LOL!

Annie

o

Annie,
Can't wait to see what is in that. Thanks a lot.

Jasmine

o

Jeanne, I forgot to put my note inside the box, so I tucked it under the shipping label.

o

Here are my guesses today:
juniper
omnipotent

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here