Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

UPDATE: Sharing Springtime Pictures - Part 3

sandlapper_rose
15 years ago

Here are some of my roses. Please continue to share pictures of your gardens. I love to see what you are growing. Unfortunately it was hot and sunny enough today that some of the plants were already drooping... must mean summer is ahead!

Jeanne

Gourmet Popcorn

{{gwi:1274939}}

Fourth of July

{{gwi:1274941}}

Veilchenblau

Crepuscule

{{gwi:1274946}}

Comments (56)

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

Wow! Love the flowers Frances. The Iris' are beautiful. I can't help you on IDing them, but I sure like em! Love the birds, too!

Jeanne, I like most flower scents, have only found a couple that get a bit over powering. I agree with you on the perfumes, too strong of some scents make me about sick to my stomach! I do like to sniff the magazine samples, though.

Karen

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

WOW such beautiful roses Jeanne!! Karen I love the Ducks, sooo neat to see them in your yard!!! Frances your slide show of all your flowers is awesome!!! Faintheart you have some really pretty flowers being protected by your Gnome too!!! I just love ohhing and awwing over ya'lls beautiful gardens!!!!

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

Gorgeous roses! I only have buds so far, but the TBI's have been going for a while. Here are a couple I have earmarked for sassy's Iris exchange if she hosts again this year:

Alien Mist

and Galactic Warrior

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Frances, that first iris in your pictures is so unusual - very pretty, too! You have lots of nice pictures so thanks for sharing. Poisondarfrog, I love your irises as well. We sure have some great photographers! Don't you love digital cameras? Back when film and developing were involved, I seldom took pictures of my flowers.
    When a walked my dog about an hour ago there was a new type of purple iris in bloom. I searched, but no label. I think it is Caesar's Brother - way behind the tall things so if I had not been walking the dog back there, I never would have seen it.
    Keep posting!
    Jeanne

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

Here is what bloomed in my barn about 4-5 weeks ago, just found them yesterday!!!!

and here are some poppies that are blooming now in my Love Garden (sorry for the fuzzy pic)

Alana those are sooo pretty!!! I LOVE IRIS'

• wynative
    15 years ago

Pixie - that happened in my barn too! I am on my way to see them now and I will post pic's later.

Beautiful Iris ladies! The weather is very nice today - 55 or so :) I plan to get more bulbs planted either this afternoon or tomorrow before it gets cold again. I have a few grape hythicnth blooming but thats it.

Marie

• brittneysgran
    15 years ago

Love all the Spring pictures....

Frances the second iris you posted looks like Bluebird Wine.

Shirley

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Jeanne,
    I hate you, roses already! Lol, you know I'm kidding : )
    What a great color on that Veichenblau.

Karen,
    Those pics look a lot better than the snow on the last thread! You'll have blooms soon : )

Faintheart,
    Nice to see you do have some blooms out your way. I hardly like a zone 6 winter. I don't know how you all survive zone 4.

Frances,
    You have some gorgeous pics in your album.

Alana,
    I love that Alien Mist!

Pixie,
    Cute kitties.

Here's a shot of my front walk this morning.

I was lucky enough to be home when the chicadee babies came out of the house a couple days ago. They are hard to capture on film though. They come really close, but when you move the camera, they move! I did a couple shots though. Here's one.

Remy

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

;) Thank you everyone!

My garden is just in its second year, so everything is still new to me (most of these things are blooming for the first time for me) I still cant get used to all of these flowers so early in the season!

Jeanne
    I have to agree with the digital vs film cameras. No film to waste when the wind or the lighting plays tricks on you! The first thing I do every morning is take the camera outside to see what is blooming!
    That Iris is very unusual! I wasn't sure I liked it when I first saw it, but it has really grown on me! (good thing too, I seem to have 3 or 4 in that colour) It seems to age very nicely too, starting out a very 'buff' colour with purple and mellowing to the cream with burgundy. Odd but very pretty! also has had 7 or 8 blooms per stock. Hard not to like a plant like that!

faintheart, love the flowers and gnome! thank you also for reminding me that I don't miss snow a bit!

Alana, those Iris are stunnning! I really like the 'blue beard' on that Alien Mist, I had thought one of mine was that type, but now that I have seen yours I know it isn't. I have three Iris that are in that colour range, they are all different than yours.

Shirley, thanks for the info will follow up and see what I find out!

Remy, Love the Tulip and Daffodil together! I do miss tulips, maybe next year. I have already ordered my fall bulbs for this year. (Daffodil, daffodil and more daffodil!) ha ha ha Is that a rose your chickadee is perched on?

Trina! look at your kitties! I would love to have one.... unfortunately this is a dog-centric community, cats have a pretty unpleasant time around here.

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Lovely flowers, Ladies!! I'm jealous of all the blooms, we don't have have many yet. The roses are loaded, though..so hopefully in a few days we'll see some of those pop out.
    I even have a few daylilies starting to put buds on, so I'm waiting (im)patiently for those! :O)

I DID have my first poppy bloom this morning! This is the first year I've been successful with them, they never seem to make it past seedling stage for me. I think it was all in the sowing technique. Aubeni just threw them on the ground last fall! LOL
    {{gwi:73053}}

Here's a bluestar creeper. It's not fancy, but I think it's pretty.

I've shown this on another thread, but it's my first Iris bloom...so I'm a bit proud. :O)
    "Dauntless"

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Melissa,
    Great pics. The poppy is cool. You need to have Aubeni do more sowing, lol. Your blue plant, do you have a real name? What is normally called Blue Star Creeper, that is not. I can't tell if it is a veronica, campanula or something else. It is very pretty none-the-less.

Francis,
    I think so, lol, on one side I have a very large rose, and on the other side(veggie garden) I have a blackberry. I think that is part of the reason the chickadees like it here. They can have their babies fly around with good cover with all the roses and other shrubs I have.
    I love the daffodils too. I have them planted everywhere!
    Remy

• galium
    15 years ago

I'm enjoying the pictures!!!

I took a few last week.
    Shade Garden

Not everything is up yet. I put this in last year.

Tiarella 'Neon Lights'
    {{gwi:1274975}}
    Got to love those fluffy flowers!
    More pictures Please!!
    Mariann

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Remy~ Thank you, I think you're right, it's a veronica. I don't know which one, I'll have to look that up. I am assuming that the tags got mixed up (happens frequently here, with so many kiddos *helping* me, lol). That would be why I thought it was a blue star creeper. Hmm, now I'm wondering where THAT plant went. LOL :O)

Mariann~ I love the tiarella! That is unusual & very pretty. They look like little clouds!

• dirt_under_my_nails
    15 years ago

Here is a few from me:
    My first iris to bloom 'Las Vegas'

And a unknown clematis. It was darker.Should have taken photo when it first bloomed.

Loving all the flower photos!! Will have to add the Veilchenblau rose to my want list.
    later....April

• beckilove
    15 years ago

April - I'm sure others are more versed in clematis, but that looks somewhat like Nelly Moser to me. Someone please correct me if that's wrong! : )

Here is a link that might be useful: Nelly Moser at Dave's Garden

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Hi girls! I am loving all of the new spring pictures! Mariann, I really like the trellis frame around your shade garden.

Here are some of my new blooms. All of the creeping phlox is popping nicely. I just planted the rock soapwort in the top well of the rock garden and divided up all of the Tiny Monsters Geranium at the bottom with the woolly thyme. Things are filling in nicely this year! The main bed at the top of the rock garden still needs a lot of work but it will get there eventually! I hope... :o)I threw in a few of the new blooms of tulips too! Just love these!

Tracy

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

Everyone, your flowers are just gorgeous!! Tracy I LOVE your rock garden!! I think that looks like something I'm going to have to put down for next years plans!!

April, I agree with Becki, the clematis reminds me of Nelly Moser. It's very pretty!

Keep the beautiful pictures coming!!

Karen

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

Wonderful pictures! You all have such beautiful gardens. Tracy, your tulips are lovely.
    Here are a few from this morning.
    The annuals are starting to bloom!
    Osteospermum African Moon with Euphorbia Diamond Frost

Clematis HF Young

BBI Baboon Bottom

Can anyone jog my memory? I can't read the tag on this one. It looks like it may start with an S.

Unstable Gene

• wynative
    15 years ago

Poison,

Dont' know the name of your Iris but it is BEAUTIFUL!! The folage on your Clematis is pretty also.

Here is a couple ways to tell that spring is getting closer for us in Wyoming:
    Pile O'Kitty's - 5 of them
    {{gwi:1271653}}

A baby Cotton Tail - about 4 inches long,
    {{gwi:1274996}}

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Ok - I guess I'm losing it. I thought I posted this earlier but I must have posted somewhere else. Forgive me if this is a repeat post for some of you.
    Your gardens are gorgeous (drooling). These are a few pics I took this morning. I love May! Nikki

Here is a link that might be useful: May

• wynative
    15 years ago

Nikki,

Beautiful flowers! Your Hosta's look wonderful - I wish that I could grow them but alas no shade...

Marie

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

OOOH! Poison! I don't know what that iris is, either...but I WANT ONE!! LOL That is GORGEOUS!!! I have iris envy! :O)

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Me too! I don't know what that iris is but I WANT ONE TOO!
    lol Beautiful colour!

Cute little kittens, (bunnies are also cute, but they are not my friends, wretched little munchers)

• amybabyboy3
    15 years ago

TRACEY, I JUST LOVE YOUR ROCK GARDEN!!!! HOW DID YOU MAKE IT? IT IS JUST AWESOME EVEN MY LITTLE BOY SAID MOMMY I WANT A ROCK GARDEN LIKE THAT!!!!

POISON DART, THOSE IRIS ARE AWESOME.

ALL YOU LADIES HAVE BEAUTIFUL FLOWERS. TAKE CARE, AMY

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Miss Poison! How are you? I just love your iris! I wish I could help with the name too but sadly I can't. I love the HF Young. What is that you have growing with it? I love the scarlet leaves. Beautiful contrast! I want to move next door to you. Your gardens are always amazing to me.

Thank you everyone! I love my rock garden. It is funny because when we bought this house 4 years ago the rock garden was just a pile of big ugly round boulders that had a NoId sedum growing all over it. It was awful looking. The couple who had the house would go on vacation and bring back a rock from every place they visited and throw them on the pile when they got home. So those rocks are from all over the U.S. Anyway, I couldn't stand the sedum and started tearing it all off. Then I had the bright idea of creating planting wells. I moved the bigger rocks down to the base and started just eyeballing it to get some kind of form to fill out the corner of the two walkways that connect. Then I started stacking strategically to get the higher wells set up at different heights coming up to the top. Then I started adding potting soil to the wells and lots of drought resistant plants. I have creeping phlox, campanula in the shadier spots, cranesbill geranium, yarrow, forget me nots, wooly thyme and then will fill in with some lisianthus for some blooms here and there for the really hot months. I have to water it at least once a day because it does dry out so quickly. There is also clematis roguchi growing up the lilac tree at the rear but it is on the young side and was just planted last fall. Hopefully it will grow all through the lilac tree and start blooming when the lilac blooms are finished.

• sassyd
    15 years ago

Hi girls......

I don't have time to respond to everyone but I love ALL the pics!!! So awesome!

Here's a couple from me, I had a daylily bloom today for the 1st time, but it was so ugly I won't post it, lol. I'm hoping it was just the 1st bloom...I know sometimes they get better, lol.

Here's ..........an Iris..............Hemstitched....

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

WOW I am in LOVE with Iris' from now on!!!!

Tracy, you can't live next to Alana cause I am going to! (but I will let you live with me :) )!!!

Marie such cute kittens and I love the baby bunny! I had to send the kittens from our barn to the SPCA because the momma is a wild cat, I am allergic to cats and we have two rather large dogs. I did find out that one of them has already been adopted and I am sure that the other one will also. I just love baby animals!

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Trina
    Me too! They just bloom and bloom! and the folliage is pretty too (even in the heat and drought last summer they looked great)

Tracy
    I love our rock garden, I wish I could come up with something creative to do with the bushels full of gravel and broken bricks I have dug out of my gardens!

• wynative
    15 years ago

My Christmas White Amaryllis Bloomed again!
    {{gwi:1274999}}

It also bloomed in December but it has 2 this time. I didn't know they did this but Yeah!

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Frances, thank you! I finally had a quiet moment to come back and go look at your album. Your iris are beautiful! I love the white and purples. What is the plant that has the cascading blooms in white and pink/fuschia? They look like beautiful beeds on a string! I just loved those! Your roses are gorgeous too! You must be so happy with all the hard work you have been doing. It is paying off beautifully! It is so nice to see your amazing photos again! Yay!

Sassy, hemstitched is amazing! I love the silvery white with the blue edge! Wow!

Marie, congrats on the second blooms! That must make you perk up in the office!

• beckilove
    15 years ago

I have a few more blooms to show. I've had an exhausting day, and am going to enjoy posting some pics!

My favorite picture so far - it is now the wallpaper on my computer! Our apple tree in bloom:

An unknown tree I got from the Arbor Day Foundation many years ago, and am just noticing these blooms on it. Anyone know what it is? I've seen many more around town now that look like the same tree, covered in these purple blooms.

Claudia tulip - I had a terrible time getting a good picture of these, so this will have to do.

• diene
    15 years ago

Hello All'
    Most of these came from GW. I, of course, have no idea what their names are, I just enjoy them. Thanks.
    We did not have any April Showers but we had so much snow this year that apparently we did not need it.

double tulip

tulip

anemone

double tulips

double daffs, tulips and hyacinth

Enjoy my May flowers. Have a wonderful May.
    diene

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Becki~ That's a redbud tree. They make beautiful trees as they get older, they are very graceful looking. We have many in our yard, several nearly 100 years old.

Diene~ It's good to see you back! It's about time you thawed out! :O) Gorgeous flowers, too!

• sassyd
    15 years ago

Becki, love all your blooms girl! And you too Diene, so glad to see you back around, your blooms are beauties too!
    I feel for you girls that have to deal with all that snow. Hope to see you around more now.

Sassy

I wanted Tracy to see a little of what she's visiting....

Thats as we come out of the channel we live in...its so peaceful.........I really hope you enjoy when you come!!! I know I will:):)

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

"Sittin on the dock of the bay, watching the tide roll away, I'm just sitting on the dock of the bay, wasting tiiiiiime" Popped into my head immediately when I saw your picture Sassy! Oh, I love the water! I bet there are some gorgeous sunrises over that tree line in the mornings. Sigh... Thank you for the smile!

Diene, nice to see your blooms popping! I bet you were ready for it!

Becki, beautiful blooms! I love the tree, some neighbors of ours have a few of those and they are so pretty!

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

Tracy, that is a Japanese Maple HF Young is growing up. So far it does not seem to mind.
    Becky you are so lucky to have a Redbud in your garden! It will get prettier every year.
    Diene, that double tulip is fantastic! I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your beautiful lilies a little later in the year.

Clematis, unknown from cutting. (Is it Belle of Woking?) I have posted for an ID again this year. If anyone knows, please share the name with me.
    {{gwi:585447}}

Bearded Iris St Helen's Wake with Moon Journey just behind

Bearded Iris Millenium Falcon

Bearded Iris Cuss a Blue Streak

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Tracy
    that plant is a pierris japonica 'Valley Valentine' I love those shrubs. We have two the other one has white flowers. They are evergreen and extrememly drought and heat tolerant. Pretty flowers in the VERY early spring, berries in the fall and pretty foliage all year.

If you have never been to Sassy's neighborhood you are really going to LOVE those sunrises. Those beaches are just beautiful! (I am not a beach person, but I love them at sunrise) We have visited Myrtle Beach in the 'off season' and I loved it!

Becky
    I think your unknown tree is a RedBud (very popular here) I love them

Diene
    Hello! Fabulous tulips! (I think tulips are the only thing I really miss) Your flowers are starting to bloom in my garden! The lambs ear has very DARK Pink flowers! I have never seen such a thing! (I thought all lambs ears had yellow flowers)Good to see you again!

Frances

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Poison, I love your iris! I only have a handful, but I love them all! One of my favorite flowers. :O)

Sassy, I'm jealous. Will you bring me along too?? Pretty Please??

"Pink Vanilla"

Unknown

First rose bloom of the year!

Widow's tears

A rose that Remy sent last September. She was afraid it wouldn't make it, since it was only a stick with 2 leaves!
    LOOK MISS REMY!! It's doing FABULOUS!! :O) Thank you for sharing your stick with me!! LOL

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Frances, just a thought, I wonder if what you think is Lamb's Ears may be Rose Campion. The foliage is a similar color and Rose Campion gets deep pink/fuschia flowers.
    (Rose Campion is very easy to grow here in SC and Lamb's Ears is very picky about the amount of water it gets - I seldom can keep Lamb's Ears growing in my garden.)
    The roses and irises are beautiful. I like the name of the one called Cuss a Blue Streak - that is too funny!
    Sassy, that view looking out across the water looks so peaceful.
    I hope everyone has a great Mother's Day!
    Jeanne

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Jeanne

You are absolutely right! It is Rose Campion, I have never heard of it before and now it is blooming in my garden! I was very perplexed by thise flowers. It really does look like Lambsears with smaller leaves.

Melissa BEAUTIFUL IRIS!

Ditto Poisondartfrog. I think you are right about that clematis! WOW from a cutting! I just don't have much luck with cuttings. (What does root, the bunnies prune for me GRRRRRR)

Happy Mothers Day Everyone!

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Poison, that's what I thought those leaves were but I wasn't positive. They are beautiful together with HF Young! I believe that is Belle of Woking. If Nckvilledudes, Buyorsell, or Jeanne from Texas posts over there in the clematis forum to ID it then go with their opinion. They really know their clems!

Frances, I am in love with pierris japonica 'Valley Valentine'!

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Melissa,
    The rose looks fantastic, and a couple blooms coming even! It will only get better looking every year : )
    Please post when the blooms open.
    The irises look great too.

Alana,
    Your irises and clematis look wonderful.

Diene,
    Glad spring made it up your way : )
    I love those double daffodils.

Sassy,
    I need to divert over your way on the drive back from my dad's! It looks lovely and peaceful.

Becky,
    I know what you mean about certain things just don't come out well on camera as in real life like my lilac, but I think the Claudia tulip does look great.

Tracy,
    I love that phlox and your rock garden.

Mariann,
    Tiarella is one of my favorites. That's a great start for a new shade garden.

April,
    That is a pretty clematis what ever the name may be. I don't think it really matters, I've never met a clematis I didn't like : )

Marie,
    Lucky you with the amaryllis. They've never done that for me.

My Virginia Bluebells are blooming.
    {{gwi:204180}}

And here's an odd one I planted last fall, Fritillaria persicaria.

Happy Mother's Day Everyone,
    Remy

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

I answered Pixie and Remy's question on the other post, but just in case you missed it, Yes the red one is a bottle brush. It has just finished blooming and I am planning to take some cuttings soon. It has been glorious this year.

Here are some new "pretties"
    If anyone can help with identifying the daylily I would sure appreciate it.
    {{gwi:1274907}}
    {{gwi:1274909}}
    {{gwi:1274911}}
    {{gwi:1274914}}

The 3rd one is this is a thunbergia alata, according to the tag, but I have never seen a pink one!
    Anyway, the blossoms are:
    unknown daylily
    whirling butterflies guara
    thunbergia alata and
    stokesia laevis.
    I love this thread. Thanks everyone for sharing so many pretty pictures.

• ibartoo
    15 years ago

Poison, I sure hope that is a belle of Woking, I bought one this year and I want it to look like yours! Thanks for sharing that. Linda

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Linda, your daylily looks a lot like Sammy Russel. I can't be positive because there are so many that are similar to it though. I love your gaura, my "Pink Fountains" didn't overwinter very well here. I have one lonely survivor! I just replaced 2 of them with the "Butterflies", I hope mine look as pretty as yours when it blooms!

Tracy

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

Here are some things of mine that are blooming. I just love all of ya'lls flowers and want one of each of them pleaseeee! lol

Peruvian Daffy

Peruvi

an Daffy

Unknown Daylily

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

{{gwi:1275036}}

I thought I would post some pictures of what is blooming today. First is bleeding hearts with carmel heuchera, then my birdhouse planter with geranium, wizard peach coleus, and alyssum, then finally my white dogwood tree. I need MORE DIRT for doing the rest of my planters! I exhausted my supply with all my seed starting this spring! LOL! Have a great day!

Tracy

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

OHHHH Ducky I LOVEEEE YOUR BIRDHOUSE PLANTER!!! Your dogwood looks sooo beautiful all in bloom, like ya need to have a picnic underneath it!!!!

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

Here is the Gourd Frame that Fox built me for Mothers Day.

• diene
    15 years ago

Here are some more pictures that I took yesterday.
    Parrot tulips and double white daffs

side of shed

front of rock

side of rock

backyard

Cherry almost in full bloom

diene