Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brittneysgran

new: obf june swap -blooming friends

brittneysgran
11 years ago

OBF is a year long swap group. You must be a member to be a part of this swap. If you would like to join OBF's please let me know.

I've tried and tried to come up with something new and different so here goes.

I found many June celebrations: Flag Day, Fathers Day, National Rose Month, Hug Your Cat Day, Summer Picnic, even found where the Toothbrush was invented in 1498 on June 26th. Thanks to the one who invented that Toothbrush.

Anyway on June 8th it is National Best Friends Day. I remember when this groups was first started and we had a contest and a prize was awarded to the one who came up with the best logo for Our Bloomin Friends Group. The logo you see was submitted by me and still used today.

What is the logo about? You guessed it FRIENDS!!!!!!!

I have made so many friends over the years on gardenweb and will always remember the plants they have shared with me through these swaps. We need simple swaps during these busy months so lets sign up, be paired with a friend and send something really special to that gardening friend.

Use your imigination and have fun with it. Our want lists are there for a reason so hopefully we can find something our friend has been looking for.

I plan to have games and will start off with this one:

The winner will receive this Calla Lily Samur

I will try not to make this too hard. The first one with the correct answer wins. I just ordered some bulbs/plants from a bulb sale last week. Tell me at least 6 different kinds that I ordered.

Sign-ups will be until Wednesday June 6th.

Shirley

Comments (97)

• 1JanetH
    11 years ago

Shirley...I'm going to guess....Mary Ellen named the group.

Annie...Thank you :)

SueG....Yes, you're right. It does have a scape on it and I'm so excited....I've planted everything and with all the rain we're getting, hoping I'll see some progress shortly :) Thank you so much!

Question...I now have a daylily that a lady gave my mom a couple of years ago. It's tall and the blossom is very big. The color is identical to the eye of the bloom above. It's entirely that one yellowish color. Can anyone tell me the name of it? Thanks!

Janet

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Janet-Can you post a picture of your daylily?

Annie-Whoa lady you did your homework and are correct on it being Debbya who named this group. You get the daylily 'John Peat'. Congratulations

Margo-Good for you...Camping is always a good get-away. Have fun.

My plant sales are going great this year. A lady came last evening and bought $303.00 worth of plants. I was so excited because I need that money for my trip to Westbourne daylilies. I will be meeting Mary Jane Meadows the Hybridizer and getting more of her daylilies.

Speaking of daylilies the next daylily up for grabs is:

ARMS REACHING OUT

The first one to answer this question wins the daylily.
    Tell me how old my Granddaughter and Grandson are. If no one gets it exactly the closest wins.

Brittney________

Dawson__________

Getting up early in the morning and doing clean-ups in the gardens downtown.

Night ladies

Shirley

• earthlydelights
    11 years ago

brittney 16 = dawson 9
    gorgeous daylily

• girlwithagreenthumb
    11 years ago

can I be a member of this club?

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello girlwithagreenthumb-To become a member of this group you must have traded with a member or be willing to trade with one to get started. The trade can be seeds or plants that is up to you and who you trade with. We have a different hostess each month hosting the swaps.

Maybe a member will step up and arrange a trade with you.
    We are so glad you chose this group to join.

Leaving in the morning for my trip. Will post when I get back Monday.

Shirley

• canyonwind
    11 years ago

I won...oh my!!

Shirley, your grandchildren ages.....
    Brittany 18
    Dawson 12

Girlwithagreenthumb...I am happy to do a quick trade with you so that you can become an OBF'er. Touch base with me via email and we can set something up.

Party guests are arriving...must run. Happy Sunday.

Annie

• sguanzon
    11 years ago

Brittney 17 Dawson 11?

• 1JanetH
    11 years ago

Hi ladies....I'm having internet probs at home & had to travel to town to connect. So, if you don't hear from me as much, that's why. I do have connection via cell phone but it won't let me connect to this site :( So, if someone needs me, shoot me a quick email and I'll respond.

Also, as of right now, no, I can't upload the pic of my daylily but when I can, I will. Thanks though :)

Another issue...I've emailed Margaret2007 but have not gotten a response for her address. If anyone can touch base with her, please do and have her check for my mail. Thanks!
    Otherwise, I won't be able to send her package out :(

Shirley....My guess for your grandchildrens' ages are:
    Brittney 19
    Dawson 15

Congrats to all the winners!!

Happy Gardening All!
    Janet

• margaret_2007
    11 years ago

Hello, Lovely Ladies-

Janet-I sent you an email thru Garden Web just as soon as I heard from you. Sometimes that doesn't work! Here is my address

Margaret J. Curry
    310 North Main Street
    Danville, Iowa, 52623

Sorry for making this difficult for you.

I hope it isn't as hot where you ladies are as it is here. In the ninties all week-that's usually August weather here. I don't like the heat at all & try to get most of my outside work done before it hits here. This year that didn't happen. We also got almost 4 inches of rain a couple days ago which we really needed.

Shirley-I will be a little late sending your exchange-sometimes life gets in the way of what we want to do & I am finding that quite often lately.

I am having trouble seeing tonight so please forgive any mis-spelling.

Blessings, Margaret

• canyonwind
    11 years ago

Margo, I packed up your "blooming friends" box and it is headed out in the morning. A little bunny action last night on one of your little plants. And it is pretty warm out here, so I am not sure how it will arrive....LOL! Probably dead!!!

I will post the DC # tomorrow sometime.

Happy Tuesday!!

Annie

• smitties
    11 years ago

My box is headed out to Sue. The heat is on here so I hope it is kept in air conditioning. I packed it up and headed to the post office so it was sent fresh. DC 03112550000201448196

Hope it arrives by Thursday and Sue likes it. Margo

• canyonwind
    11 years ago

Margo, your box flew out of here this morning!

DC# 0312 0090 0002 0644 6904 Priority. It should arrive Thursday!!

Annie

• veeja11
    11 years ago

Melody, your box is coming from the grower, will give you conf number as soon as they send me one. big hugs to all my bloomin friends

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Annie-You need to go and play the lottery...You won again.
    The ages
    Brittney 22
    Dawson 8

No one guessed it really close so what I did was add the two ages and came up with 30. Annie your two guesses equaled 30.

Hope to get out all the plant wins next week. So busy this time of year.

Take care eveyone

Shirley

• sguanzon
    11 years ago

Margo

Your box arrived just fine!

I love everything!

Margo sent:

Green Envy Coneflower
    dwarf Creopsis
    sunfire coreopsis
    Garden mum (pink)
    Coneflower (either sundown or summer sky)
    Sedum (low growing)

Thanks so much for picking everything!

Sue G

• 1JanetH
    11 years ago

Margaret - Thanks so much for posting your addy here. I just got your email today which I will respond to shortly. My internet is still not up at home so I'm sitting in McDonald's with my laptop....lovely LOL! Now that I have your addy, your package will go out on Monday. Either way, I'll email you the tracking # when I have it. Sorry I'm just now getting to this but with the net down at home, it just isn't possible to come in to town daily :( My phone will let me check my email but for some reason it doesn't support the GardenWeb.com site.

Looks like everyone is enjoying the summer....and the plants :) Hope to be back here soon.....just as soon as that internet at home is up and going again :D

Happy Gardening to all!
    Janet

• smitties
    11 years ago

Wow, just received my box from Annie and she went way beyond in her selection of products. I was amazed at what she packed in that box.

Two hot mitts which I need desperately
    Body Butter that smells good
    Blackberry jam, we just ran out of jam
    A package of mini heath bars, yum, the heat got to these so they are in the freezer and as soon as no one is looking, they will be in hiding
    seed ziplocks
    a four pack of socks, love socks
    Oxalis bulbs
    reblooming iris
    and I got coreopsis Nana which I was really excited about. My mil who passed away 7 years ago was called "Nana" by our kids. This will have a special place in the garden.

Now, the question. There was a green plastic molded stick thing??????????? It was tucked in a mitt so not sure if it should even be in there.

Sue, did you find the dancing flower in the bottom of the box? Glad you enjoyed your plants. Let me know if that coneflower is not a green envy and if the others prove to be, I will send another.

Annie, thank you thank you thank you for the fabulous box. Rain is on the way so I am heading out now to plant everything. By the way, the coreopsis looks as though it was just dug up. Great condition.

Margo

• nottougly
    11 years ago

Ann,
    I mailed your box this morning.
    DC # 9405 5036 9930 0053 4932 54
    Enjoy the goodies.
    Faye!

• nottougly
    11 years ago

Ann, I sent you the wrong DC#.
    It is 9405 5036 9930 0053 4932 61
    Enjoy the goodies.
    Faye!

• smitties
    11 years ago

Oops, forgot to mention the many packages of seeds Annie also included. I just posted a review for her.

Margo

• sguanzon
    11 years ago

Yes Margo I forgot to mention the dancing sunflower. It is solar and it is sooooooooo CUTE! Thanks so much!

Sue G

• canyonwind
    11 years ago

Shirley, I won another one of your beauties!! I am so jazzed!! Thank you!!

Margo, the green molded stick thing (LOL) is a "dibble". You stick it in the ground/pots to make holes for seeds or bulbs. I use it also to move little seedlings from one spot to another. The dibble seems to work better than my big fingers.
    RE: Coreopsis Nana...I had dug up several hunks last week. I planted some in the ground and potted some of them up. They were doing great and then the bunnies feasted. Your "Nana" should come back fine. Mine are all coming back to life!

Happy Friday!!

Annie

• smitties
    11 years ago

Annie, thank you for the dibble. I seemed to remember a conversation in another swap that someone received something they weren't sure about and it was a dibble too. LOL I love the idea and it will certainly come in handy. It will be useful in making a long track indent to put the seeds in as well.

I watered the coreopsis as soon as I got it and it perked right up. I am off tomorrow so that and the other items you sent are going in the garden tomorrow. The heat has finally broken so I can get some more things done outside.

I hope everyone has a good weekend. Margo

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

brittneysgran sends to nottougly
    sguanzon sends to 1JanetH - sent/received
    canyonwind sends to smitties - sent/received
    veeja11 sends to astroknot
    1JanetH sends to margaret 2007
    nottougly sends to canyonwind - sent
    astroknot sends to veeja11
    margaret_2007 sends to brittneysgran
    smitties sends to sguanzon - sent/received

Nice boxes being received. What a great group of friends.

Faye-Your box will be mailed Monday along with all the plant prizes for the winners. DH had to work this week-end so of course I had to go to market today. So far behind and it has gotten extremely dry so have to water daily.

Shirley

• Astroknot
    11 years ago

Hi everyone, been really busy this week and away from this board. Just wanted to check in.

Veeja11, I'm sending your package soon!

Speaking of, I need some help figuring out how to mail these plants to Carol. I've never mailed a live plant before. I read up on GW's tutorial on how to wrap it, but my specific question is this: I've got some live bulb plants (won't tell you what kind they are, in order to keep the surprise!) and they have really long leaves. How should I ship them out? Do I cut the leaves? If I keep the leaves as they are, do I find a really large box, or can I use a bubble envelope?

~ Melody

• Astroknot
    11 years ago

Well, I went ahead and cut off most of the leaves. **Nervous**

I hope they survive the trip!

Delivery confirmation # for Veeja11: 0311 2550 0003 2939 0933

Hope you like them!

~ Melody

• margaret_2007
    11 years ago

Hi, Lovely Ladies-What a wonderful day here today. Just what I love-low humidity, low temps & I actually got a lot accomplished!

Shirley-Part of your exchange goes in the mail tomorrow & the rest later this week. Sorry to be late & I hope you are pleased.

The other boxes sound great & I really love this trade. Such a bunch of lovely ones in our group & now some new members! I know you will love it here.

Must finish up another small project so will stop hoping you are all having a great day also. Blessings, Margaret

• canyonwind
    11 years ago

Faye,

I received your FANTASTIC blooming friends box today! It was full of good things!!

*a very happy card
    *gardening gloves...love my gloves
    *seed baggies
    *candle...smells great
    *M&M's...

Plants...Great selection, some new ones for me. And these plants are in great shape!
    *Dusty Miller
    *Climbing Lily
    *Catmint
    *Hosta Blue Angel
    *Peruvian Daffodil
    *Lily of the Valley
    *Tube Rose
    *and one I can not ID...Faye, I will email you tomorrow and see what it is. What surprise might it be????

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! I LOVE everything!

Annie

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Janet I need your address so I can mail your calla lily.
    Can you please send the address to Shirley.Speed@shawinc.com

Shirley

• veeja11
    11 years ago

received a wonderful box from Melody today. all beautifully packed. daylily, coming up roses, daylily,cranberry baby, daylily siloam, shocker, all ones I don't have and a crocosmia lucifer, been hunting for this since I lost mine. seeds
    canna, red hot pink
    alstromeria unknown color,canna dwarf yellow, amaryllis peppermint stripe, amaryllis red, philippine lily,wastonia, white, peony poppy rose ans pink chiffon, perrys penstemon, godiva white chocolate pearls. a cute origami lily. I love it all, thankyou so much, hope yours gets there soon. hugs carol

• Astroknot
    11 years ago

Oh WOW!!!!!!!!

Carol, you are amazing.

Just got your package, opened it up and found some really, really awesome plants!

Mexican Flame Vine Senecio confuses
    Dragon Fruit, Strawberry Pear Hylocereus undatus
    Kiwi Vine Plant Actinidia deliciosa

Been looking for the Flame Vine for a long time, thank you so much for that! And the other two.....they are so awesome and exactly up my alley. Unusual, edible, beautiful, TASTY and most of all I should have no trouble growing these in a container garden. I am so excited!

That dragonfruit especially, wow what a neat plant! So cool! It's a cactus, but it also vines. And the flowers bloom at night. You can eat the fruit and the flowers too.

I am so incredibly happy with your trade. And Carol, I'm glad I was able to send you plants which you were looking for as well. I was worried you had all of these kinds already. I hope the Crocosmia makes it through the travel, I was kind of worried to cut off its leaves. Good luck and best wishes with growing them in their new home!

~ Melody

And PS, WOW daylilies have the most lovely petals. It was so neat to see them close up, in person for the first time. They remind me of a luscious brushed canvas painting.

• nottougly
    11 years ago

Summer has arrived. At 10 am this morning is was 107 degrees in my greenhouse with the door open and fans blowing. It is hot!!
    I received my box from Shirley today. She sent a great selection of plants and they made it thru this heat just green and happy.
    Thank you Shirley for the
    Astitic Lily's, Crossover and Lollypop.
    Bearded Iris's, Coral Point and Jennifer Rebecca.
    Calla, Samur
    Japanese Iris, Chitose Hime
    Westbourne Lily, Blackberry Cobbler and the Foul Weather Sunrise.
    Also thank you for the Black Eye Susan Vine, the Blusing Susie Vine and the Susie White Eyes Vine.
    I really really appreciate everything.
    Thank you so much.
    Faye!

• nottougly
    11 years ago

Oops I forgot to mention,
    Sirley also sent a crinum bulb.
    Thanks again Shirley.
    Everything is great.
    Faye!

• margaret_2007
    11 years ago

Hello, Lovely Ladies-It is very,very hot here today & supposed to be for several days. I watered yesterday & will again tomorrow. Hope all that hard work isn't in vain!

Shirley-Your package went out today
    0331 2550 0001 5574 7246 with no live plants so it should be there fine.

The exchanges are great & know we will all be pleased. Thanks so much, Shirley, for hosting. Blessings, Margaret

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

brittneysgran sends to nottougly -sent/received
    veeja11 sends to astroknot -sent/received
    nottougly sends to canyonwind - sent/received
    astroknot sends to veeja11 -sent/received
    margaret_2007 sends to brittneysgran -sent

Margaret-Janet was having internet problems so not sure where she stands on mailing your box. I have sent an e-mail through GW about needing her address but she has not responded. Hopefully we will both hear from her soon.

Carol-You have the July swap month so any time you want to post it will be fine.

Thank all you ladies for making Junes swap such a fun ordeal.

Margaret-I will post when I receive your box.

Night ladies

Shirley

• veeja11
    11 years ago

Shirley , thankyou for my jap iris, was almost 70 here today but got it planted despite the terrible heat. Melody, glad you like your plants, saw the flame vine on your want list, then went off your likes to pick the other two, let me know how the fruit tastes when you get some. we had a wonderful trade even if we did get each other. happy to have you as a new gardening friend. ty hugs carol

• veeja11
    11 years ago

just realized I am supposed to do christmas in july swap, gonna be super busy this month, but will try to work it in and will post it tomorrow. don't know who is not to hot to receive plants but we will see if there is any interest.

• 1JanetH
    11 years ago

Hi ladies.....I've been super sick as well as having no internet connection still.

Shirley...I've responded to your msg.

Margaret...I sent you an explanation email that you can share here if you wish and your package will go out on Monday...Lord willin' :)

I'd explain more but it's back home for me and to bed. Must get lots of rest. God bless you all and Happy Gardening!

Janet

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Carol-You are welcome...glad you have it planted. Thanks for joining in this month. In all my life I have never seen temps in the 100's here in the mountains. Have seen it now two days in a row....It's roasting outside.

Janet...you get better lady, so sorry you are sick. I will mail your calla Monday.

Margaret-I received my gift certificate from Hallson Gardens. Thank you so very much. I have checked out their plants 3-4 times already. It's just like Christmas. Will let you know what I choose.

brittneysgran sends to nottougly -sent/received
    veeja11 sends to astroknot -sent/received
    nottougly sends to canyonwind - sent/received
    astroknot sends to veeja11 -sent/received
    margaret_2007 sends to brittneysgran -sent/received

Janet will mail to Margaret Monday and that will officially close this swap when Margaret receives.

Night ladies

Shirley

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Annie-Please let me know if you got your two daylilies that you won?

Carol received her jap iris, Faye received her bearded iris and I'm mailing Janets calla Monday so if Annie has received her daylilies that should be it.

Shirley

• canyonwind
    11 years ago

Shirley,

The daylilies have not arrived. I will definitley let you know when I receive.

Thank you so much for hosting.

Annie

• veeja11
    11 years ago

help, I can't post a july swap to the forum, will keep tryin. so please be patient with me. hugs carol

• canyonwind
    11 years ago

Shirley,

The daylilies just arrived. They are in great shape!!! They are now enjoying a soak in a very cool margarita ...I mean water...LOL!

Thank you for your very generous prizes!!!

Happy Monday!

Annie

• veeja11
    11 years ago

If anyone can post the july swap, it would be appreciated, I can't post, we can see if there is any interest for this month. help please. thankyou hugs carol

• veeja11
    11 years ago

I can post here but not on the main page

• Astroknot
    11 years ago

Carol, I can try to post the July OBF for you. Do you have the text already typed out? Maybe email it to me, and I'll copy and paste to a new thread.

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Carol-I posted a new July swap for you...sorry I have been so busy this week I didn't check in earlier. If you can post when one has been started hopefully you can use the one I just did for you.

Thanks Astroknot not sure if Carol read your post.

Margaret-I received my box and shame on me for not posting earlier. Please forgive me. My anniversary was today and I had to set the alarm clock and get up to dig for two ladies who buy alot of plants from me. It was a good morning but I am so tired. Was really hoping to do something really special with DH but it did not work out. I do hear some fireworks even though I cannot see them. LOL

Anyway...Thanks so much for all my goodies, the gift certificate was way enough.

Margaret sent:
    Body butter-Vanilla & cinnamon (I love this stuff.)
    Flag can cooler
    6 pack refill for Pop-up note dispenser
    Pop-up note dispenser (I go through these like mad)
    Volleyball note pad (It could be a soccer but I need it)
    Flag Holder & Jumbo Glow stick(Dawson will take this from me)
    Two pig ears for the dogs(They loved these, I will have to get them some more)
    And my socks-I truly love good socks and these are airplus aloe infused....I know I will be searching for more of these
    Margaret it was just like Christmas opening your box and everything was wrapped so special. Thank you so very much for your kindness.

I hope you and everyone had a fabulous 4th of July.

Shirley

• 1JanetH
    11 years ago

Hi everyone....just a quick note....

Shirley - Thank you so much. I received the calla today :)

Margaret- I emailed you with the confirmation number. I mailed the package out earlier this week but forgot about the 4th...hopefully you've received your package.

As for my health, I'm getting better day by day. Thank you all for the kind words and please continue to pray. I'll pop in when I can as the internet is still down. We're looking into satelite...maybe that will be better than this dialup we "have" at the moment :(

Thanks again for being so kind to me and allowing me to join this group.

Janet

• brittneysgran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Janet-Great, glad you received the calla. Good news about getting better. As soon as Margaret posts she received her box the June swap will be closed and I thank each and everyone for making this such a fun month.

Shirley

• margaret_2007
    11 years ago

Hello-I received my box from Janet containing a beautiful stained glass piece in a carriage like frame. It is so lovely & thank you so much, Janet. I have just the right spot for it!

This was a great swap that I enjoyed a lot. Blessings to all 7 thanks so much Shirley for hosting! Margaret