We filled up the first thread!

Comments (64)

• zubababy
    14 years ago

Works for me.
    Kristi

• canyonwind
    14 years ago

Lisa...sounds good to me. Do what works for you! I received your email...THANKS!

I have been gone since Wednesday...need to get my tail outside!

Happy Sunday...and have a great week!

Annie

• ibartoo
    14 years ago

Lisa, I am so sorry, but I was called away on an emergency. I will have to drop out of this swap. I appreciate everything. I am sorry for not following through. Linda

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Linda, I'm sorry, I hope everything is okay with you and your family.

I'll check the mail around 11 and start sorting for packets.

Lisa

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is it ladies! No Mail today.

I'm sorry for those of you that didn't send your envies in time, I waited an extra few days for you to check back and you haven't. I'm going to sort the extras by tossing one into each envy until they are gone.

I did make a small mistake and didn't leave all the extras in the bags of people that sent them in so if your name wasn't on the packets, you may get a few of your own back.

I'm sorry!!!! I was adding the gift seeds into peoples return envy and just tossing the extras into a large bowl without thinking about when it came time to add in extras.

Lisa

PS: Zuba, please don't send any $$ for the iris, I think I have enough with the cash and stamps that you snet in. I'll let ya know for sure in a day or two.

• susantexoma
    14 years ago

Very exciting -- I can't wait to see what I get! Thanks so much for all the hard work you're doing on this, Lisa!

Susan

• ashcraftbunch
    14 years ago

Lisa I sent the pakage off thursday evening here is the the confirmation code. It says it went out on the 15th so you should be getting it.. Sorry I haven't posted in a lil while we have been so busy around here...and hubby don't like me on the computer from friday to monday .. Hope theyarrive to you.;.
    Jamie

Dc # 03071790000533594673

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

the sorting plan works for me! I wasnt even thinking about dropouts, so I wrote the names ON the packets. apologies people if you get something addressed to someone else!

*hops up and down some more* I hope everyone is having perfect planting weather!
    ~Laura

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good morning Genies!

The seeds are sorted and ready to go. I'll drop 1/2 in the mail today and half in the mail tomorrow.

shasta and lilangel, I used all your stamps on your envy, you may owe some postage to get it. There isn't enough for delivery conf.

Booberry, I'll have yours weighed today, you may be short postage too! some of these envies are pretty full!

ashcraft, I'm sorry but the last time you posted was on May,5th and you said your seeds were going out the end of the week, that would have been the 8th. I didn't receive your seeds by the due date of May,15th and you hadn't posted since the 5th so on the 18th I assumed you dropped out and I divided all your genie seeds between all the participants of the group.

I wish you had posted on Wednesday, May, 13th that you mailed, I would have known to wait for them but you posted last night after the seeds were sorted.

I'm sorry! I'll have to mark your envy as return to sender OR I can open the package and add in your iris and mail back your seeds.

Please let me know what you would like to do.

Lisa

• booberry85
    14 years ago

WhooHoo!!!! Lisa, I haven't sent my iris envie yet. So please let me know what the added postage is and I'll add it to the iris envie.

Thank you,
    Becky

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Morning all!

I bit the bullet and sent them all today! The first 16 numbers are the same as Kristi's.

Zuba, conf# for iris 0307 0020 0004 6759 9561
    zuba, conf# for seeds 9578

Becky, conf# 9516, short 1.00

Shasta, conf# 9486

Susan,conf# 9479

peaches,conf# 9530

Canyon, conf# 9554

Candycow,conf# 9509

lilangel, conf# 9493

Paula, conf# 9523... I'm sorry about your stamps, you stuck them on the non stick side of the book. I had a real hard time getting them off and ruined one!

Linda, conf# 9426

uptreas and joyunspeak, no conf#

I did these envies one at a time and threw your change into the envy before sealing it up, please look for your change!

Lisa

Susan, I got your $4 postage for Larry's iris and the choc. mint BUT you forgot to send a card to Larry thanking him for the iris and leting him know where it will be growing.

Annie, I have a bit over $2 extra from your seed package and will see how much to get Larry's iris back to you. I may go back to the p.o. and do that this morning.

Thanks for playing!
    Lisa

• susantexoma
    14 years ago

Hi Lisa,

About the card for Larry -- I thought I'd be sending it to him myself after I planted his iris (so I could tell him exactly where I've planted it) -- do you want to email me his address, or should I send the card to you after the iris arrives so you can give it to him?

Thanks for mailing the seeds! Yay!

Susan

• susantexoma
    14 years ago

Hi again Lisa,

Or I could also mail the card for Larry out to you today, before you send me the iris -- just let me know what you'd like me to do.

Susan

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Susan,

I'm sorry just came back from the p.o. mailing the iris and mint.

conf# 03070020000467599592

I would like the cards mailed to me, I'm going to put my posting about Larry's garden on a poster board and all the thank you cards around it and bring it to Larry when it's finished.

Lisa

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Susan, it was only two dollars and change to mail, your change is in the envy.

Canyon, I forgot to take your addy of the seed envy, please send it to me so I can get your iris out to you. I have the $$ left over from your seed money.

Lisa

• susantexoma
    14 years ago

Lisa,

That's great, I'll send you my card for Larry as soon as I've planted the iris. Can't wait to get the 2 packages from you -- this is going to be an exciting week for mail!

Susan

• canyonwind
    14 years ago

Lisa...sent you an email!

Thanks much!

Annie

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

Lisa,
    Just let me know how much postage I owe you, and Ill send it in with my iris stuff. Also, if you have a good estimate on how much the iris will cost to mail, I dont want to short change you again!
    ~Laura

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ashcraft, I got your envy today. I just went back and checked your wants list. I may be able to send you twenty for twenty and an iris tuber from Larry's garden with the money you enclosed. I would just need a thank you note mailed in a regular envy. Please let me know what you would like to do.

Lisa

• ashcraftbunch
    14 years ago

Lisa,
    Hello and thanks for letting me know it got there. I think I just misunderstood when I read the direction and thought I had til the 15th to send them so it is my fault all together.. and 20 for 20 sounds great and I'll get a thank you card in the mail sometime this week for Larry...

Again Thank you,
    Jamie

• paulan70
    14 years ago

Lisa

Sorry I was gone for so long. I was out playing in my sisters garden and then in mine. But I could of swore I sent in cash. Just wanted to make sure I am not losing my marbles. Thanks

Paula

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Paula,

You did send cash, it was $1 for delivery conf#.

I can't remember how may stamps were in there but I used what I need to mail your envy and tossed the rest back in.

When you put the stamps on a sheet the sheet has two sides, one is for the stamps so they can be easily removed and the other they just stick too. I had to tear the stamps off the sheet and use glue to stick them on your envy and I ruined one by tearing it.

It's no biggie, I just wanted to let you know why one is torn. If you don't understand now, you will when you try and get them off....lol

Lisa

• joy_unspeakable
    14 years ago

Went to the mailbox today and there was a big, FAT envelope FULL of seeds! YAY!!

All I can say is W-O-W!! Thanks Lisa, you did a great job. I feel a little guilty - I sent in what I had from the wish lists and a few extras - but I got so much more in return. Thank you, thank you to all who sent something for me or sent in extras. Now that my garden and seed box are becoming a little more established, I promise to pay forward the generosity I was shown in this swap.

Linda - Thanks so much for the iris seeds! Any tips for planting them. I am flower impaired and would really like for them to do well.

Everyone - Thanks again to you ALL. I really can't thank you enough. Now I have a great variety of both flowers and veggies (and a good bit of research to do).

Happy Gardening to you all and God Bless!

~ Tracy

Lisa - The thank you note for Larry and the money for postage for the iris went out in this mornings mail. Thank you!

• joy_unspeakable
    14 years ago

.... and thank you Paula for hosting also!

~ Tracy

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tracy,

I'm happy that your happy!

Lisa

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Received my seeds today! WhooHoo! Thank you so much everyone! I received so many wants!

I do have some questions about a few seeds. I received one just labeled "WOAD." No other ID. I have no idea of what this is. Can anyone help me?

I also received something called "Mountain Bluet." Can anyone tell me what this is?

Two more: What are "Nest Eggs" and what are Tidy Tips?

Thanks again everyone!
    Becky

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

Woad:

Woad, Isatis tinctoria, is a hardy biennial plant native to northern Europe and the British Isles that is a source of the blue dye chemical, indigotin, that is also produced by the much stronger and more famous sub-tropical indigo plant. While much weaker than indigo, woad can be a good source of dye to the modern dyer.
    I have found woad to be very easy to grow and a big crop is not the difficult to achieve if you grow a row of it. Its first year is when most leaves are harvested for dyeing and in its second year when woad is in flower as in the photo above, it's very pretty and it will produce a huge quantity of seeds as seen at the left. It loves full sun and has done well in every soil that I have tried to grow it in. Because it self-seeds so aggressively it had gained a bad reputation with many agricultural groups.
    Preparing the dye and dyeing with woad are both complicated processes, more that most other natural dyes. The dye is extracted from the plant by a wide variety of techniques, but causing a chemically oxidizing reaction in an alkaline environment is required. Once the dye is oxidized and often concentrated it is returned to an alkaline solution and chemically reduced to dye fibers or leather. For all that effort woad can produce a long-lasting blue.
    Woad started out as the source of much of blue dyes in northern Europe because the stronger indigo is difficult to grow in most northern climates, but as shipping increased, woad soon fell by the wayside as more tropically grown indigo took over the market. Information on woad can be found on its own page in the excellent "modern herbal" Botanical.com
    My interest in woad began with hearing tales about the ancient Picts who painted Celtic designs on themselves with a woad body paint for magical protection in battle. While I have discovered these beliefs to have little historical accuracy, my interest in the plant and it's lore, historic and modern, has not diminished at all.
    Caution: Woad aggressively self-seeds and can become a pest problem.

Woad is very easy to grow in sunny or partly sunny locations. As a biennial it grows one year, flowers and produces seed the second year and dies.
    All above ground parts of the plant will produce indigotin, but in fairly small concentrations so be willing to plant as much as you have room for. The dye can be processed any time with any amount of plant material, but being a biennial, flowers are only produced the second year, but in tremendous abundance. To prevent woad from becoming a serious weed problem cut back all but one or two flower stalks and the remaining flowers will provide all the seeds you need for the next season.

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

mountain bluet:
    Botanical Name: Centaurea montana sen-TOR-ee-ah mon-TAN-ahCommon Name: Mountain bluet Genus: Centaurea Mountain bluet is an excellent choice for the border or rock garden. Blue flowers open from attractive buds in late spring to midsummer, then leave behind a mass of vigorous, silvery-green woolly foliage and woolly stems.
    Noteworthy characteristics: Blue, spidery flowers. Self-seeds.
    Care: Grow in moist soil in sun or partial shade. Easy to divide in fall if it begins to crowd its neighbors. Self-seeds readily. May need staking.
    Propagation: Divide in fall.
    Problems: White mold, rust, downy and powdery mildew, thread blight, and Southern blight can occur.

I hope that helps! Linda

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Thanks so much! I've been having fun looking a few things I was unfamiliar with.

• zubababy
    14 years ago

I received both packages today.
    Thank you everyone, for all the wonderful seeds!
    There are many seeds in there, that I didn't even know I wanted. :)
    Lisa.... I will get the thank you note to Larry, out to you this weekend.
    Kristi

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kristi and Becky, I hope you enjoyed your packages.

Jamie, I mailed your seeds and the iris this afternoon, I posted the dc# on larry's iris thread so I can keep track of the states I have already mailed to.

Lisa

• shasta_2008
    14 years ago

I recieved my envelope today and sent Lisa a small one cause I didn't want way too many, but guess what? It was stuffed full and thank you very, very much to all of you for your generousity!! I'm HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY!! And kudos to you Lisa for taking the time and having the patience to do all of this, you all are wonderful!!!

Carol

• susantexoma
    14 years ago

My envy arrived today, and all I can say is WOW -- I never expected to receive so many great seeds and have so many wishes fulfilled! Scabiosa Beaujolais Bonnets, Cosmos Rose Bonbon, Zinnia Profusion, California Poppy Watermelon Heaven, and SO much more -- thank you so much everybody!! And thank you Lisa for all your hard work sorting everything out -- what a great swap!

• canyonwind
    14 years ago

This was so much fun! I just opened this very fat envelope full of seeds...all kinds...from all of you wonderful LADIES. Thank you so very much!!!! I am sitting on the floor with my laptop and a glass of vino........enjoying all my seeds! I had no idea there would be so many!!!

Lisa, Thank you for all you did on this swap...lots of work. Simply wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!

Annie

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Morning Ladies,

I'm glad to see the envies are finding their way home and that everyone is happy with what they got.

Those of you who got an iris, please don't forget the card for Larry. I don't want to have to come and dig it out of your garden bed....lol

Lisa

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

my seeds arrived today and WOW what a selection you ladies sent! I'm thrilled to death!...."sitting down with a glass of tea"...

• paulan70
    14 years ago

My envie arrived today as well. And wow was it stuffed. Thanks so much for the seed options. I am only sad that I can't winter sow some of them now. And I really would love to.

umm Lisa I think there was a mess up. There was /are no stamps in the envie nor any cash not that I am complaining. But I honestly do not remember sticking any stamps in the envie which is why I stuck the cash instead for the ride home. So I am thinking maybe you got the envie mixed up. Either way I am VERY happy with all of the seeds.

Thanks everyone for joining in the swap it was a very fun and neat swap. And I am now sure that everyone got at least 1 seed from their wishlist that they have been wanting which was the theme of the swap of course. And I can not wait to see some of these beauties in bloom.

Paula

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmmmm, Paula, did you send $3 and your return envy was 3.05?

Susan, I just looked and you sent 8 stamps and $1,was it you? I know that each envy was done seperatly.

I walked 3 at a time into the p.o. so that other patrons wouldn't have to wait too long for me and had each weighed and put the extra $ or stamps in and then sealed them up.

Hmm, the case of the torn stamps.

Well, someone will speak up because they'll get their extra stamps back and one of them will be torn.

I hope everyone is happy with their seeds.

Lisa

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

GOOD GRIEF LADIES! All I can say is WOW, what a collection! Ive made a very very long list of things to look up, and I hope everyone is just as thrilled as I am. Check out the pic BTW...

Thank you to everyone (ESPECIALLY LISA!)
    ~Laura
    {{gwi:1275122}}

• susantexoma
    14 years ago

Hi Lisa,

Yes, it was me who sent 8 stamps plus $1 for delivery confirmation. I can't remember exactly what you sent back to me because I got three swap envies all on the same day (what a great day for my mailbox :)!) -- but I know I was happy with what I got back from everyone. I think 2 of the envies contained 1 extra stamp each and 1 of them also contained change (I think the one with change was the one you sent the iris and chocolate mint to me in).

Susan

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Sue, It couldn't have been you then, I do remember more than 1 stamp being sent back to whoever it was. I just know that I tore one of them trying to get it off.

The case is still not solved! lol

Lisa

• paulan70
    14 years ago

Lisa

I don't remember if I sent 3 or 4 dollars. You will have to let me know if I should shoot off some cash your way.

And yes I was very happy with all of the seeds.

Paula

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Paula,

I havve the conf#s here and you did send $3 and your envy was 3.04, I'm not worrying about a few cents!!!

I wish I wrote down whose stamps were messed up, I can't mremember!

It wasn't Susan because she said she only got one stamp back and whoever it was had 2 or 3 stamps coming back to them but 1 was torn.

Susan, yes, the envy with change was the iris. They seem to be costing around 2.75 with delivery conf# and I have been just throwing the loose coins in the envy.

Someone speak up, I'm going crazy tring to remember who it was that stuck the stamps on the wrong side!

Lisa

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

No crazy stamps here. I was just wondering if you wouldent mind tossing a little chocolate mint in with Larry's Iris since it didnt come in with the seeds? (No worries if you dont have any, just curious.)

*raises a chocolate-mint mojito toast to you*
    ~Laura

• uptreasa
    14 years ago

I sent $$ in place of stamps. I still haven't received my package yet. :o( Treasa

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lilangel, I'm sorry! I guess I forgot to put it in. I'll send it with your iris.

Tre, candycow and peaches, your packages should be home by Tuesday!

Hmm.. I just checked and candycow and peaches both got their packages on the 22nd. I hope they were happy with what they got back.

Tre, hopefully Tuesday.

Lisa

• canyonwind
    14 years ago

I am still loving my seeds from each of you..it is so much fun checking out seeds that I know nothing about! Larry's Iris has arrived, been planted, and I think is rather happy here...LOL! Lisa, thanks for the change. You know, I would have preferred you buying yourself a candy bar or a hot dog with all that extra $$$...LOL!

Lisa, again what a fun...fun...fun "Genie Wish" swap and a touching and lovely Larry's Iris giveaway to go along with it. You are #1 hostess!

Thanks!!!

Annie

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Treasa,

Are you out there? Did your package come? Please let us know if you got it.

Lisa

Annie, Thank you, I'm so happy that people were willing to send for one of Larry's iris'.

• uptreasa
    14 years ago

Lisa, Here I am. : )
    My package came on Tuesday, but I've been rather busy. I have today off, so will catch up on GW. Thank you so much. This has been a lot of fun. I have to say "WOW". Thank you to everyone who sent seeds. Can't wait until next time. Thanks again and hope you all have a beautiful garden. Hugs, Treasa

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Treasa,

I'm so glad that it made it home, I feared that it got lost and everyone would suspect that I didn't mail it.

I'm so paranoid sometimes!

Im glad you liked your loot!

Lisa