Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angela00_gw

NEW: Twenty-Seed-Pack Surprise

angela00
13 years ago

Someone on the seed exchange blog recently mentioned wanting to do a surprise seed pack exchange. I think this was a great idea, and would like to organize it as a round-robin. So, is anyone interested in a 20-seed pack surprise exchange?

These would be the general guidelines: Both commercially purchased and personally gathered seeds are acceptable. Packets should have at least 10-15 seeds each, unless something particularly rare is being (i.e. heirloom shamanistic tobacco), in which case 6-10 seeds would be acceptable. No two seed packs given by one individual should be alike. Or, in other words, you should send 20 DIFFERENT kinds of seeds. Finally, as a rule of thumb, please prepare the surprise packets you send with the same enthusiasm and care you'd like to receive in the surprise package YOU will be getting in the mail.

May 21st will be the last day to join. Your 20-seed-surprise packets must be mailed to swap partners by the end of the month (on 5/31).

What do you think? Anyone interested?

Angela

Comments (37)

• adopt_greyhounds
    13 years ago

I could give it a try. Most of my seeds are commercial.

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

"looking at piles of seeds"...LOL! I'm always interested in a new swap and meeting a new possible GW friend!

• angela00
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great! Welcome. Commercial seeds are fine, as are seeds from your own garden. And, to clarify, "different kinds of seeds" means no two seed packs of the same species. But a Prizewinner giant pumpkin and a Jack-Be-Little pumpkin would be fine, for example.

We'll give the round robin a week, or so, to build momentum, and then I'll start assigning partners. Once we begin swapping I'll organize a follow-up thread so that people can let us know what they received in the mail.

Angela

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

**pushing Linda's seeds off the table to make room for my crazy pile****
    I definitely would like to join! 20 different packets NOT a problem!
    :0) vina

• nottougly
    13 years ago

I would like to join.
    This sounds like fun.
    Faye!

• Rachelle
    13 years ago

I would like to join this round robin. There was no mention of whether these are flowers or veggies, or other. Are all seeds acceptable?

Rachelle

• daveedgeguitar
    13 years ago

Sounds like fun! Count me in! I've never done a round robin exchange but.....................

Dave

• mastergarder2003
    13 years ago

Yes Bonnie

• angela00
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rachelle,

Yes, all types of seed are acceptable. Let's do it this way. When I collect addresses I'll also ask for zones and will let folks choose a preference of a) flowers and herbs, b) vegetables and herbs, or c) either/both. I'll use the preferences when I put together partners for the swap. Your swap partner may not have enough flower and/or veggie seeds to send only these exclusively, but at least they will know your preference and will be able to send you mostly flowers or vegetables if that's your preference.

• mastergarder2003
    13 years ago

I have a mixture of all kinds, in my pak, would like the same. zone 5, email me, and I will give, address to you or with who you set me with. thanks bon

• ihana
    13 years ago

I'd like to join!

• canuwyo
    13 years ago

Hi I am a newbie as far as the exchanges go but I would like to give it a shot. Zone 4 and choice "c". Thank you. Christy

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

sent you an email!

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hi Angela! Sent you an email.
    Thanks! vina

• angela00
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to start matching people up today, but new folks are still welcome to join. If you haven't already, please send me an email that includes your gardenweb id, your zone, and your preference for a) flowers and herbs, b) vegetables and herbs, or c) either/both. When you get your swap partner's info from me, you should email them to say hello and find out their mailing address before sending out your seeds.

All the best,

Angela

• dem_pa
    13 years ago

Add me to the list.

C. for me I have vegetable and flower gardens.

Sending email.

Don

• miss_daisy
    13 years ago

add me too for a) flowers and herbs although i don't do herbs so i wouldn't have any herb seeds to send but would enjoy the flower seed trading.

miss daisy

• Iris ( ranegrow ) z7 Maryland
    13 years ago

Hi everyone , I would love to join !
    Angela, I'm sending you my info now ! Thanks !

~Iris

• angela00
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is the list of swap partners thus far. A few of you haven't been matched up yet. We have until the end of the week for the swap to close, so I'll wait a few days for more people to sign up, in order to make the best matches. So, apologies to those of you who have to wait another day or two ... and for the rest of you, let the games begin! Surprise seed packages must be mailed by the end of the month.

Angela

a) mastergarder2003 and nottougly
    b) angela00 and ihana
    c) dem_pa and flowergirl34
    d) daveedgeguitar and gardenprincess
    e) adopt_greyhounds and canuwyo
    f) miss_daisy and lay1182

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

"throwing myself on the ground and flopping"..okay, I'll wait...."G"

• irisnquilt
    13 years ago

I'll give it a try!!! Zone: 5 Choice: A

Thanks!

Kim

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hi all!
    Don, your bubbler of surprises is in the mail! :0)

Angela, thanks so much for organizing this~~it was fun!!:0)

Have a great day!
    vina

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

I've sent my partner an email, waiting for a reply

13 years ago

I haven't been assigned a partner yet ...? Angela, did you get my post about joining ? and my email with my info ?

~Iris

• angela00
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Reminder! Today he last day to sign up for the 20-seed-pack surprise. For those already signed up, if you haven't received your partner yet, you'll get matched up today. If you're interested in joining, please send me your gardenweb id, zone, and your preference for a)flowers&herbs, b)veggies&herbs or c)either/both. Anyone who joins today will be matched up with a partner by the end of the evening. May 31 is the last day to mail out your seed packs.

cheers,
    Angela

• angela00
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Our final list of swap partners:

a) mastergarder2003 and nottougly
    b) angela00 and ihana
    c) dem_pa and flowergirl34
    d) daveedgeguitar and gardenprincess
    e) adopt_greyhounds and canuwyo
    f) miss_daisy and lay1182
    g)lindaruzicka and lljjz
    h) rane_grow and irisnquilt
    i) JMT2213 and angela00

13 years ago

Hello everyone ! We had a good rain here last night and this morning ... my garden is loving it and its supposed to get very warm this coming week so everything is going to start growing like crazy I hope ;-) I emailed my partner, still waiting for a reply ;-)

~Iris

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hi everyone! I received my bubbler from Don!! :0)
    So many different seeds!! And thank you for the different beans. They are in the garden already! But the biggest surprise in the bubbler came from a baby Hen's N' Chick. The little guy made it all the way up here in a ziploc inside a bubbler!!
    Thanks Don!
    What a wonderful swap!

And thanks Angela for organizing!!

Have a great day!
    vina

• ihana
    13 years ago

I sent angela00's package today; dc 0309 1830 0002 0771 2308

• dem_pa
    13 years ago

I received my seeds from flowergirl34 today. A great variety. The sunflowers and beans will be planted as soon as the ground dries at bit. (rain last night). Some of the seeds are in an envelope to winter sow next year. Thanks so much for all the seeds. Thanks to our great hostess.

I added a (baby) Hen's and chicks to her envelope (It was a walmart special one year)

Don

• angela00
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ihana's package is also in the mail! JMT2213's will be out soon. I am a little behind because my 19-mo old daughter came down with "crup" this weekend... An evil lung infection that affects babies/toddlers, and makes them sound like they're "coughing up a lung." She's recovering now, but we had a few days without sleep. I didn't even have the time to keep up with the strawberry harvest, and now I have about four large baskets worth of berries to pick, and a lot of jam to make and neighbors to give berries away to!

Angela

• irisnquilt
    13 years ago

rane_grow 7 (Iris') package in the mail this morning! Iris you should have by the middle of next week . . maybe late w/ the holiday!
    Thanks Angela . . too bad I'm not your neighbor! I'd take those strawberries right off your hands!

• ihana
    13 years ago

Sorry to hear about your tough week, Angela --I got your package in the mail yesterday! Thanks so much!

13 years ago

Hi everyone ! Hope you are all enjoying your Memorial Day Weekend , we are avoiding the traffic and crowds and staying home...working in the yard , grilling out ... enjoying the warm sunshine ;-)

I mailed Kim's (irisnquilt) package this morning ;-) Angela, I wish I was your neighbor too ... I need to get some fresh strawberries and make my son some jam ... its his favorite ;-) he is away at college and he is always asking me to put some in his next CARE package ;-)

• jmt2213
    13 years ago

Got my package in the mail while I was on vacation! Thanks so much. Can't wait to look up all the varieties tonight!

Cheers,
    Jenny

13 years ago

I received my seeds from Kim (irisnquilt) today ! Awesome selection ! Thank you so much Kim !

~Iris

• angela00
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry for my belated update. My daughter got a bad cold during the middle of the swap. I just wanted to thank everyone for participating. We had an odd number, so I let myself have two swap partners -- JMT2213 and ihana -- and loved the seeds I received from both of them. For me, the nice thing about a surprise swap is sometimes receiving interesting seeds that I'm not familiar with.

Everyone should have received their seeds by now. This was a nice swap. We'll have to do it again!

Angela