Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamabirrd

UPDATE: 8500+ Traveling Daylilies!!!

mamabirrd
17 years ago

This round robin is an extention of a wonderful group of talented , generous and spirited traders, the Traveling Daylilies, who when at all possible trade daylilies. The way into this group is to have traded with at least one of us and to be recommended for membership by one of more members of the group. We are not snobs, we just want to protect each other and you from any game traders... should there be any. If you know any of us, email privately and they will be allowed to get you in on their recommendation. We'd love to have you!

Holy Smokes! Maybe MamaG. will repost her trade rules on this thread. Gonna' be a fun swap!

Cody's "smile" swap (or was it "free for all"??) should be wrapping up. All packages should be mailed by now unless you made other arrangements with your partner.

I received my "smile" package from Lisa yesterday. If you have not traded with her yet, you are in for a real treat. She sent me the most AMAZING box, filled with so many wonderful plants and surprises. Wow, wow, WOW!!! Just like Anita, she sure knows how to pack a box. Totally put mine to shame.

Lisa, I am overwhelmed. Thank you is not enough. I will post the contents with pictures a little later. I am smiling from ear to ear. : )

Lots more to address, but my day is ridiculously busy today. I have an early start, so I better get moving.....

Happy Friday!

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

Comments (100)

• toomanyanimals
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here are the lily pictures:

Yellow Turks Cap

Pollyanna

Triumphator - bought from Angie

Rosy Dawn - bought from Angie
    {{gwi:1276223}}

Silk Road

• mareas
    17 years ago

Oh Sharon!!!! Stunning!
    I have these big black clumsy bees that are up before daybreak stumbling into my daylilies. I've let them do that pollinating work this year in defeat.
    {{gwi:1276227}}

...views from here today. ~marea

• mareas
    17 years ago

We gave ourselves an extra few weeks for this moving thing, and to give my last job time to find someone to replace me. I've bowed out of all the others already. My brother-in-law is a professional mover, so am gonna wait for that huge Allied moving fan to have some free time to let me hire him to carry my garden. Got volunteers for loading & unloading already - it's working beautifully!
    Hope there is better & better going on for ya'll, too! ~m'

• cheerpeople
    17 years ago

canna- cute kid!

sharon- thx for the info. You sure know a lot! Yes I did buy the ptouch and yes it was even on sale!
    BTW the voodoo DL has a cool un-DL look that is interesting.

Marea has confirmed my first dbl to be kwanzo. Nice pics too.

I need to get to bed.

My first black sunflower bloomed, as well as first gladiolus:)- ever!
    Later
    Karen/cheerpeople

• toomanyanimals
    17 years ago

Carol
    One Day late
    but not forgotten!

Hope you had a Happy Day!

sharon/tma

• juspeachy
    17 years ago

OMG,

Carol, I am so sorry,

A big warm HAPPY BIRTHDAY

did you check to see about your lily? Mine bloomed and I am positive yours is American Spirit too.
    Also, I sent you the list you needed, did you recieve it?

Marea,
    Sounds like you got it all under control. I am so Happy for you. That will sure make your move so much easier. I have told my DH, I refuse to ever move again. I have taken root and refuse to budge.(grins)

It is to be another scorcher here today, and they are saying even worse for tomorrow. Later on we are heading to SIL's pool. Think we will just lie there all day.

MaryB
    how is the weather over there in your neck of the woods?

Anita,
    Your still "it".(grins and giggles)love ya girlfriend.

Di,
    Set down that bottle and step away from the baby.(just long enough to stop by and say hi) Then you can go back to the hugs and kisses.

Gloria,
    I will be sending you more lily pics in just a bit.

I have pics loaded, now need to resize to post. BBL to post them,
    Have a great day,
    try to stay cool everyone,
    hugs,
    Jo

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Happy Sunday everyone,

This must be the slowest moving TD thread ever! I think it's time for everyone to take a quick break, come in from the garden and say "Hi". : ) We've all been a bit absent lately and it would be great to hear from everyone.

My turn first..........

Happy Birthday Carol!
    Hope you had a wonderful day. Did DH take you out for something good to eat?

This is long overdue.....my list of goodies that Lisa sent me for the "Make your partner smile" swap hosted by Cody. Strap on your seatbelts and get ready........this is one amazing box:

*Lisa's favorite plant: Daphne burkwoodii 'Carol Mackie'
    Her favorite plant because it stays evergreen all winter and has the best smelling blooms in the Spring. Even better than Lilacs or Roses she says! I'm loving this...thank you Lisa. Awesome variegation.

*Iris ensata 'Lace Ruff'
    *Hosta 'Sea Fire'...woo hoo! This was highly wanted.
    *Campanula trachelium 'Snowball'
    *Tricyrtis hirta 'Variegata'
    *Hemerocallis 'April Dawn' : ) Yippee!
    *Hemerocallis 'Strawberry Fields Forever'
    *Hemerocallis 'Mort Morss'
    *Hemerocallis 'Peacock Maiden' Yippee woo hoo!
    *Hemerocallis 'Francis of Assisi' How did you know I wanted that one??
    *Hemerocallis 'Ed Brown'
    *Hemerocallis 'Beautiful Edgings'
    *Hemerocallis 'Morticia' wanted that one too. : )
    *Echinacea 'Mango Meadowbrite' Awesome!

*Green Prints "The Weeder's Digest" summer 2006...This book is so cool and I will definately get a subscription. Thank you for introducing me to this, Lisa.

*"Trowel & Error"..Over 700 shortcuts, tips, & remedies for the gardener, by Sharon Lovejoy. I LOVE this book and am thrilled to add it to my collection of gardening books. I've already used a few tips. : )

*The cutest lady bug moisture meter...will get you a pic..

*A "Chorus Line" coffee mug......no, not from Broadway...

Love it!! Love it!! Love it!!

*Cute little garden statue of a frog sitting on a leaf...he's already over at the new place.

*Wee little garden gnome mini lawn gnome and 32 page book. Just adorable.

*Palm sized water garden w/ book....wait 'till you see how cute this is. A pond on my desk!

*2 big packs of metal plant labels....can never have enough of these : )

*Environmenally friendly permanant garden marker...perfect!

*The cutest froggie book marker....can't believe it! I just started collecting frog book markers of all things!

*Udderly Smooth Udder Cream......This stuff is awesome on my udders......oops, I mean hands. ; )

*Yard Glove protective barrier for hands. I haven't tried this yet but can't wait. It's supposed to help prevent penetration of dirt, fertilizer, etc. I need to buy this stuff in a 55 gal. drum, LOL.

*Soil Moist Granules....these are awesome

*Transplant 1-Step for planting & transplanting....this is perfect for all the transplanting i'm doing this year.

*An absolutely beautiful, nautical themed birdhouse that i'm saving to put in my new bathroom. It's really unique and I don't have anything like it.

*And last but not least, the coolest T-shirt that has Pansies & a watering can on it and says "Maine". I will get DH to take a pic of me wearing it. I love it!

I sure hope I didn't forget anything. Lisa, thank you so much. You went above and beyond making me smile. Thank you and BIG HUGS!!

I'm working on my HOLY SMOKES box and having such fun. Holy smokes...I think I need to find a bigger box, lol.

Marea, how convenient that BIL is a mover...perfect! I'm so glad things are working out well for you. Do you think all your helpers will giggle when they see your plant collection, or do they already know what's in store for them? I've had a few chuckles already when people see me moving my plants, even BEFORE I have the house. They just don't understand, lol.
    Lovely views!

Karen, I love the dark Sunflowers. And congrats. on the Glads....they make such nice cut flowers.

Sharon, thanks for all the pics! I LOVE, repeat LOVE 'Voodoo Dancer'!! Very cool.
    Nancy Drew tunnel is exactly what I was thinking. : ) I keep talking about the secret passage and DH says, "It's just going to look like a hallway" and I have to tell him to play along.

Jo, glad you have been able to recycle your tree. And the Magnolia will be nice in place of your favorite, dear ol' tree.
    Someday i'll get a package out to you, LOL. I have a whole bunch of stuff with your name on it. HUGS

Anita, still buying Daylilies, huh? LOLOL Your yard is going to be like a canvas painted with the most beautiful colors. How is your pond doing? I know you can't post...but you can email. : )

Barb, I have things like that happen to me ALL the time and it just drives me crazy!! The mysteries of the night. Any updates?
    One question....Did you get any Blueberries?? LOL

Canna, that picture is a prizewinner! She is a beauty. What a summer you've had so far. Hope you get a chance to sit down and drink a good micro. Not sure if you heard this all the way down there, but our local Rolling Rock was sold to Anheuser-Busch. Alot of angry folks here in Latrobe, PA. It's really a shame.
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/4048833.html
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_454645.html

Dianne, have you given the new mom a chance yet?? ; )
    I'll bet that baby has been kissed and hugged a million times. Got any pics???

Shirley, my Iris are all doing great at the new place. They really seem to like my strange, sandy soil.

Speaking of the new place, work continues.....We have completed our work to put in the electric service. Now we must wait for an inspector, then our power company will come out and hook us up. My Dad & DH dug a 200' ditch, laid the conduit, backfilled the ditch, installed the meter box and service panel, and voila'! I'm ready to plug something in!

I also made a friend at our new place this week.....

I found him when I was mowing. Sweet, little thing. I took him for a short ride on the the mower, then put him right back where I found him. Hope to see him again sometime. : )

My sister, the bride-to-be had some practice work done on her hair yesterday in preparation for the big day. Lookie how beautiful....

Any my other sis, the mom-to-be has been working on the nursery. It is turning out so cute. She gets to have another sonogram on the 28th and has invited me along. : ) Due date Aug. 25th.....approaching quickly.

I have a few more things to share but will do so in another post....

HUGS,
    ~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Our water well drillers arrived the other day and drilling began yesterday. I took this short, 7 second video when they were at 50 feet deep. They stopped for the day at 100 feet. Let's hope they hit water soon! The deeper they drill, the emptier my checkbook becomes. : )

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

Here is a link that might be useful: well drilling video

• cody_mi
    17 years ago

guys, i'm hurt...y'all forgot my birthday.

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh my gosh Cody you're right. And I think I forgot a few others as well????

Happy Birthday to Mary on the 2nd...

Happy Birthday to Cindy S. on the 7th...

Happy Birthday to Cody on the 10th...

I'm sorry that I missed all of your special days. I hope you all had really wonderful Birthdays.

Cody, I think we should be punished. What can we do to make it up to you???? ; )

HUGS and HAPPY BIRTHDAYS,
    ~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• mareas
    17 years ago

CODY!! and CAROL!! HAPPY belated BIRTHDAY to both of you!
    You are two of my favorite people in the WORLD and I'm so ashamed that I forgot to send you presents & balloons or at least an eCard... hoping this year will be your best EVER!!

'Derby Bound'
    Wishing you both huge bouquets of exotic flowers, marea

• mareas
    17 years ago

I owe Cindy & Mary balloons & maraca music, too! Wishing you two the same heartfelt wishes for YOUR best years ever, ~m' [going to the corner now & awaiting Cody's answer....] ,m%*#@
    {{gwi:1276244}}
    a 'Forbidden Desires' flower for Mary & Cindy.

Dawn - i LOVED your video [funniest home videos?] & I just love watching your dream manifest like this, thank you! I will try to show a video of packing my plants into the moving van. That ought to be a hoot, too, but not so charmingly noisy...m.

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Marea....i'm sure by the time this project is finished I could have a grand prize winning video.......probably of me falling off the roof or something, LOL.
    Can't wait to see yours. : )

Angie, I forgot to tell you that my H. 'John Peat' (from Deni) bloomed 2 days after I got it in this pot.....I didn't even have a chance to trim off the dead foliage yet! It's bloomed a couple more times since. : )

I also wanted to show you all my new neighbor......can't remember if I already showed you or not. If I did, sorry. : )
    He lives right on my property line......the lady next door has several in a large enclosure. They are her pets.

I'm not sure what his real name is....but I call him "Rudolph". LOL
    He saw me peeking through the trees. I try to leave them be, as they seem pretty scared with all the commotion going on.

Well, back to work.

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• juspeachy
    17 years ago

Wow,

I can't believe we all forgot so many birthdays.
    I am truly sorry to all of you. Can I use menopause (sorry Cody and Paul) as my excuse? Dang thing causes the braincells to overheat and malfunction.(well, thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it)

Dawn,
    Wow, you are really making progress, it is so wonderful to watch a dream in the making. Just awesome. Love your new little friend too, he is so cute, I just love turtles. I rescued one from the middle of the 4 lane highway that is a few miles from my house. I am sure folks thought i was nuts, I am out in the middle of the road, pointing at the turtle, pointing at the cars and yelling at them, "DON'T YOU HIT THAT TURTLE"!!!!!!. I had people slowing down and going into the other lane to avoid it(and me) I got him(a very good size painted turtle)put him in the car, and drove like mad to the nearest large pond.Hopefully he had the common sense to stay away from any more busy roads.
    Keep the pics coming, love seeing them.

Anyways,
    Cody,
    Here is a pic for your B-day...
    This is the Motherplant of that little bears breeches Anita was kind enough to send to you. You are one lucky guy, she is always yelling at me telling me not to dare to give any of them away (except to her) (grins)Sorry Anita, a few of them do have other TD's names on them.hugs

Bears Breeches(acanthus Spinosis)
    {{gwi:1276247}}

Here is a pic for Mary,

My first ebay seedling to bloom, I love it, pic doesn't do it justice,
    ebay seedling # 18
    {{gwi:1276248}}

another pic for Cindy,

My second ebay seedling to bloom,
    it has such soft pastel colors, just beautiful
    ebay seedling #9
    {{gwi:1276249}}

And last but not least,

a pic for Carol,
    this is "Lady Louise", I got it last year for my mom, it will be going into the family garden as soon as it is done blooming.The blooms are huge, 6-7 in. I love it, and cream was a fav color of my moms, she loved to wear cream, had tons of clothes in the color, so it is very fitting.

lady louise
    {{gwi:1276250}}

And this one is for Marea and Anita,thank you both again. I was so thrilled when this opened, I just love it.

Dreams of Heros,

{{gwi:1276251}}

To all the B-day Peeps,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

have a great evening,
    hugs,
    Jo

• juspeachy
    17 years ago

Hey Cody,
    I almost forgot,

The mother plant is approximately 4ft. across and nearly that tall. It will take a couple years to reach bloom size, mine was about 4 before she bloomed, but i think I set it back because I moved it. Beware once it does bloom, below each blossom is a thorn(hence the "spinosis" part in the name)(grins)

Again,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Jo

• barbamaman
    17 years ago

Gad, what fine pictures! I especially like the variety! Flowers, hairdos, home construction, deer - it just gets better and better!

Holy smokes!

DH blew up my wc tires so tight I had no traction outside, but, idiot that I be, I went out right after another deluge, worked my way with the usual difficulty up our gravel drive, up, up, up a whole story higher and more to the sodden new DL garden.

Then, coming back, all wet and worn out, I got entirely too close to the bank, tried to power myself up the small rise by the Double Tree Bed (they have NAMES, you see) only my wheels slipped on the wet grass. I flipped hard over backwards onto my head - blackbrace of course preventing any self-protective body curl - then the whole works, wc, me and all, tipped SIDEWAYS, dumping everything down the rocky bank.

Nothing seriously hurt. I can tell you where every muscle in my neck is located, and the whole back of my noggin is one big lump.

That's what I did on Saturday.

Pictures:

{{gwi:1276252}}Rusty foxgloves

{{gwi:1276253}}Monardas have the most fascinating blooms

{{gwi:1276254}}After the poppies, Ammi

{{gwi:1276255}}Sovereign Queen
    This one is BIG, too! Munson.

{{gwi:1276256}}Ruffled Vintage Burgundy

{{gwi:1276257}}Marianne Cox

{{gwi:1276258}}Cinderella's Dress
    Deni, it bloomed from the little guy you sent last fall. So did Black Eyed Stella.

{{gwi:1276259}}Tall Orange NOID
    Any ideas on my NOID? It's really tall, has big foliage, probably an old, old one, but double and curls and has stripes that are cinnamon. I couldn't get the color right for you. And buds on a scape! I stopped counting somewhere
    around 40.

Cindy, your daylilies just took off and are blooming so well. You sent me such classics - I love them.

Jo - Your woodland plants got here very parched but after a good soak, look like they may just make it. Do you think you could have found a BIGGER hellebore to mail?!! Good grief, it's a TREE. These'll fit right in - thanks so much.

I'm reading all your wonderful :) posts - will respond after you all get over Barb's DUH DL pix. These are new to ME and I'm having such fun with my new flowers!!!!!!!!!

Barb

• toomanyanimals
    17 years ago

To Mary, Cindy and Cody!

Wishing that you
    have had
    the most wonderful
    July Birthday!

Now I have to admit that I saw a post on another forum saying it was Carols Birthday, that is why I caught her BD and not all of yours!

Friend had a crisis last night and I got 3 hours sleep ... I hope I can make it through the day at work ... zzzzzzz....

sharon/tma

• juspeachy
    17 years ago

OMG Barb,
    I am so sorry to hear about your spill. So glad you are alright. At least the bump will go away and all those muscles will slowly stop complaining. Big(extremely careful) hugs.
    Love your pics soooo pretty. Esp sovereign queen and marianne cox. Your NOID is "Kwanso" I do believe. At least it looks just like my kwanso.

Dawn,
    I am SO EXCITED. You remember those cuttings you shared with me last year. Well, all but the "hibiscus red hot" shriveled, and now IT HAS ROOTS!!!!! Too cool. It took nearly an entire year of watching it and babying it, and changing the water in the glass, but, I finally have roots on that little guy. It has some new growth as well. YIPPEE!!!

Deni,
    The DL's you sent me are doing great. I was a little worried about 2 of them as they were totally brown by the time they got here. But, I potted em' and watered and babyed , and they are beginning to send out some new growth. So awesome, thank you again.

I agree with Dawn.....

WHERE IS EVERYONE???????

It is just too hot to be out in your gardens, you need to be inside so you can post. (smiles)

Paul,
    where are you? You aren't anywhere near those wildfires are you?

Ellen,
    How about you? I thought about you when I saw all the flooding in the Jersey area.

C'MON EVERYONE, STOP BY AND SAY HELLO!!!

Well, i need to get some more pics of DL's blooming today, before it gets any hotter,

hugs to all,
    Jo

• cody_mi
    17 years ago

marea i'm expecting really, really big, really, really expensive presents...and i want them now!! lol

• mellen
    17 years ago

Hello, Mary Ellen here. Long time no hear again. I have been admiring everyone's pics.

Sharon/TMA, I had some Triumphators bloom this year, too, but was too late to get pics. They are huge and stunning and smell delicious, don't they?

Jo, I've heard of bear's breeches, but I have never seen pics. How beautiful!

Barb, You know you are very, very lucky you didn't get hurt even worse than you did. How are you today? Your foxglove picture looks like a postcard! I love the colors of the Cinderella's Dress, but my first thought was it looked like it was sticking out it's tongue. lol

Cody, a belated Happy Birthday to you. What did you do on your birthday, anyway?

Dawn, I always enjoy reading your posts. I feel like I am really there! When we built 3 years ago, we had the opportunity to hook onto rural water which we did. We had a well at the last place we lived when we farmed. We lived in a house on the farmstead which had a well. It was an old system so we had problems sometimes. There would be times we would be without water. Grrr...I DON'T miss that at all! No doubt with your new well, you should be just fine! Do you plan to have a back-up generator for your place? Or is loss of electricity not a problem there? Keep your pics and posts coming!

We are incredibly hot and muggy here, too. It's been going on since last Wed. or Thurs. now, I don't remember which day. I get out in the morning to do my gardening then am inside or out and about in the car doing other things.

A friend and I did go visit a couple of gardens last week. The two of us belong to the Central Iowa DL group. There was a garden tour a week ago Sat. which I was able to go to for 1/2 a day, but my friend was unable to go. So I called a couple of the people, and she and I went to their places on Tuesday. One of them is an elderly couple who collect both daylilies and hostas. They have over 300 different varieties of hostas and about that many daylilies. They live on a regular size city lot so they have a lot packed into a rather small space. But, oooohhh, is it gorgeous. I did get pics, but they turned out on the fuzzy-side. The other place we visited was an actual dl farm. This place sells any DL they have for $10, no matter what it is. This place is on about 5 acres. Instead of having it all plowed and the lilies in rows, it is like a park. Grass covered with oval plots of dl's planted here and there surrounded by rocks. Again, got pics but on the fuzzy-side. I can post what I have if you want to see them. After we were through there, we went to a greenhouse that was selling their 6" perennials 10/$10. LOTS to choose from!

I was given directions on how to post pics by another GW friend so I'm going to try a some of them here. This is my very first summer having DL's besides the so-called "ditch" lilies. Although I like them, too, in their place--in the ditch by the gravel road.

Well, I will try to post some pics. Have a beautiful rest of the day, everyone. Mary Ellen/Mellen

This is Condilla.

Zagora-Asiatic

NOID cross from a daylily society member.

False Sunflower

• mary_s
    17 years ago

Hi everyone. Yes, it is really me! Did you miss me? I have been away for awhile! I never realized how much time having a place at the lake would occupy! We have spent nearly every weekend up there, and I was there about 10 days over the 4th. When I get back home, the weeds have taken over and the house is a disaster. Most of the week is spent getting those problems fixed and it is Friday again. We also are in the middle of a heat wave/drought, so I have to water. It is only a matter of time before the town imposes watering restrictions here. Till then I am watering everything!
    My hostas are looking a little sad, but most of the daylilies are blooming like crazy. I'm afraid I lost my Tatoo hosta and a couple of smaller daylilies while I was up at the lake over the 4th...Snif! I am trying to take some pics of the blooms to keep me going all winter.

Barb, sorry about your fall!

Mary Ellen, Dawn, Barb, Jo, Marea, Carol Great pictures!

Canna, What a little cutie your DD is!

Cody,Carol....Happy belated birthday! I was gone over my bday and sorta wondered if everyone had forgotten it since nothing was said! OK, I forgive you all since I have forgotten some too!

I am working on collecting all the items for the Holy Smokes swap. I had to go shopping as my partner (Jo)has a huge list and our tastes must be similar....Hmmmmm (smile)

Sharon...I still hope to send you some of those hostas, but perhaps we should wait till the weather cools down. It has been around 100 the last few days here. I imagine it is out your way too or soon will be???? Hate to stress those babies any more than they are already.

Well I wanted to post some pics but could not make it work. GRRRRR!

MaryS

• veeja11
    17 years ago

Happy Birthday to all those I missed, Sorry all I am senile. hope you all had great ones, is cody the baby of our group? would someone please e-mail me the list of items for the holy smokes swap please thankyou carol

• brittneysgran
    17 years ago

Carol-The items we are to send in the Holy Smokes Swap is on this thread. Closer to the top. Hope you had a great Birthday and lots of cake and ice cream.

Mary Ellen-Love your Zagora asiatic lily. I have really grown to love the lilies.

Barb-My Ruffled Vintage Brugandy Dalylily you sent me is blooming. I just love it. Glad you did not get hurt with the fall you had.

Dawn-Irises do love sandy soil. Wish I had some. The couple I got those from had sandy soil. He had it trucked in though. Had red clay to start with.

Sharon-I need to e-mail you about this osteoporosis. I don't think that is my problem. Need to find out more about it. I think I need to find a specialist that knows more than my family doctor does about it. Love your daylilies ALL ABOUT YOU, CENTURY HOUSE, & VOODOO DANCER.
    I am one who loves those doubles. Also love your ROSY DAWN lily.

Gloria-I mailed your daylilies yesterday. Be on the look-out for them.

Spider Wind Frills

Scatterbrain

Spider Carrick Wildon

Eskimo Kisses

Navaho Princess

Shirley

• bourret
    17 years ago

Hi Everyone!

I'm back from The National Convention. The gardens were incredible. No thrips damage, no leaf-streak. Just perfect looking blooms. My thrips damage has become so bad that I've resorted to using Bonide. Yes, I'm embarrassed but I didn't know of any other method. Since my daylily collection is over 1350 I can't go spraying with dishsoap and water everyday. It's a logistical nightmare when you think about it. Now, that I'm starting to sell them they have to look good.

The food at The Convention gardens was out of this world. Every garden we went to had a banquet laid out. In Paul Limmer's garden there was a fountain of CHOCOLATE! We were dipping strawberries, marshmellows, cake, even daylily blooms in the stuff. I've had so many Pina Coladas(non-alcoholic) I think I gained 6 lbs.

The auction went OK. It was surprising that the daylilies went for such low bids. I was able to get a double fan of FRONT PORCH SWING for $50! Frank Smith has it for $125! Also, I got SACRED GROUND which was a 4 fan clump for $40. I split it into 2 double fans and gave one away to a good friend. My husband got a 5 fan clump of LEDGEWOOD'S BLUE CRYSTAL for $100. A double fan on Gunda Abajian's site goes for $125! I also got a load of other daylilies from gardens too. Finally, I was able to get 1 fan of LOVELY PINK LADY. It's just the most beautiful daylily I have ever seen.

Happy Belated Birthday to everyone I missed.

All of your pictures have been outstanding. How do you post pictures here? I'd love to show all of you photos of the convention. I have tried copying & pasting a photo but it doesn't work.

I'm still exhausted from The National and I'm going to bed.

Good Night Beautiful People,

Lisa

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello all!

Lisa, convention sounded awesome. We need pics. : )
    You need a photo-hosting site, such as Photobucket (www.photobucket.com)(it's free) to upload your pics to. After uploading pics, just copy and paste the "Tag" line (which is the 2nd line under each pic) right into the text of your post. That's it! Let me know if you need more assistance.

Cody, our co-op plants are in! I think they are going to be shipped Mon. or Tues. I saw pics and they look fantastic.

We have water!!!!! The drillers hit H2O yesterday at 205 feet and we have a 100 foot resevoir which I think is really good.

Have a great day!
    ~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• mary_s
    17 years ago

Good Morning. I think the heat wave has finally passed by! It is actually pleasant working outside today!

Here are some pictures. Thanks, Dawn I think I figured out what I was doing wrong!

Bayou Bride

Hey, it worked!

Lady Fingers

Siloam Little Girl

Lisa, We want pictures of those daylilies!!!!!!

Where is everyone, lately?

Since it is so nice I am going out to dig and divide some plants for the Holy Smokes Swap!

MaryS

• mellen
    17 years ago

MaryS, As of 1:40 it is still steaming here in central Iowa. Waiting for your weather to come through. HURRY UP!!! :)

Mary Ellen

• mamabeargloria
    17 years ago

WOW
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALL... FOR THE WHOLE Year grin!
    coty.. too funny.. gifts from Marea!
    Barb.... whoever sent you that orange daylily also sent me one..... whats its name.. anyone... i dont do orange.. but that one is really pretty!

Sharon... your gardens are beautifullllllll i mean really! and i LOVE the daylies you all take great photos! great!!!

WEDDING THINGS FLYONG AROUND THIS HOUSE... SHOWER IN 6 DAYS AND ALL THE LAST MINUTE DETAILS OF THE WEDDING OF THE LIFETIME!!! MERCY ME!

s
    SHIRLEY THE DAYLILIES GOT HERE..... THANKS SO MUCH...

i TOO AM GOINMG CRAZY AND HAVING FUN WITH THESE HOLY SMOKES BOXES... MERCY ME.. WHOS IDEA WAS THIS GRIN...

I DODNT HAVE ANY DOUBLES SO I BOUGHT SOME... PAID AND THEN GOT AN EMAIL THEY WOULDNT SHIP TILL AUGUST... OH I DONT THINK SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i GRRRRRRRRR AT HIM... IM GOING TO ASHVILLE THIS WEEKEND TO PERSONALLY PICK UP SOME DAYLILIES..... I WILL SHIP ALL BOXES OUT THEN...

AWAIT A NEWSY EMAIL
    NOT GONNA SHARE DETAILS TILL I CAN SEE IF I CAN SCORE!!!!
    START NEW BEDS NOW!!!!!

OK... OFF TO BED.... LOVE THESE PHOTOS.... THEY ARE GREAT!
    GREAT DAYLIES ALL... JUST GREAT!

• toomanyanimals
    17 years ago

I want to post really fast that I did get my
    HOLY SMOKES package from Debbie.

Debbie, I got it the day I was leaving for the cottage again. I had to take a few minutes to make all the plants happy, then up to the lake we went. Just got back last night. Will post what I got when I get back from work today.

Love it all!
    sharon/tma

• marybz5ny
    17 years ago

Good Morning All,
    Two words - HOLY SMOKES!!! Our Ms. Marea has really outdone herself. I received a most awesome box from her. I am just thrilled with all that she sent me - so many from my want list. Okay, here we go:

1. (Windchimes) Marea substituted a pretty little hinged porcelain jar with painted lilies.
    2. (Decorative) A very old looking little rusty brass frog that I LOVE!
    3. (Garden Mag) - A "Country Living Gardner" - just flipped through so far but you can be sure I'll read this front to back.
    4. (Iris) - Japanese Iris 'Chitose Himme' (My first named Japanese!)
    5. (Daylily) 'Indian Giver' (From my want list - 5 fans!)
    6. (Something dear from her garden) She has shared with me a double fan of 'Marea's Angel' given to her by our beloved Mama G.
    7. (Spacecoast) 'Spacecoast Hot Topic' (Loving the reds this year!)
    8. (Flower bulbs) 'Pink Pride' Daffodils
    9. (Something Purple) 'Forbidden Desires' (I fall in love with this one every time I see Marea post a picture of it. Was on my wants list - almost just ordered it! Marea, can you dig out your picture of this and post it soon?)
    10. (Something pink) 'Light Years Away' (Another from my wants!)
    11. (Bird gift) - A new hummingbird feeder (Much needed as mine are getting pretty old!)
    12. (Spider) 'Alter Ego' AND 'Cabaret Star' (Yaaayyyy - I got not one, but two!!!)
    13. (Angel) Daylily 'Guardian Angel'
    14. (Wearable) New garden gloves - (Well you all know how much I love getting these in my boxes!)
    15. (Double) 'Transylvanian Cocktail' AND 'Country Pride'
    16. (Plant Markers) Another substitution - Marea sent me 'Derby Bound' instead!

Now, could anyone have packed a more loving and thoughtful box than that??!!I was just so happy as I pulled out one after another of all these great daylilies. Many thank yous again My Marea. You know I love you!

Got to run for now, but will try to get back later this afternoon to catch up with everyone. Never enough time in the day!
    MaryB

• mareas
    17 years ago

It was my pleasure to share those with you, my Mary!
    {{gwi:1276244}}
    Forbidden Desires

I am still trying to figure out - fast - what i can send Cody that is really big, really expensive & easily packable...

Lisa, please do write us a blow-by-blow novel about the nationals!!??

Mary Ellen & MaryB - so happy to hear from both of you!

I am having to water twice a day in this dry heat. Getting quite tan & quite ready for a huge shadecloth tent over the yard! Stay cool everybody, marea

• brittneysgran
    17 years ago

Marea what a nice holy smokes box you sent MaryB. I can't wait until my Forbidden Desires blooms. It's just beautiful. Wow the mystery plant was a Monarda. Fancy that. I do have Monarda everywhere.

Lisa-You really got some nice daylilies at the convention.
    Take lots of pictures next year when they bloom.

Gloria-glad you got the daylilies so soon. It has been so hot here. It finally rained and cooled things off yesterday.

Jean-Sent your Holy Smokes package yesterday. Don't mail mine until after the 29th. I'M GOING ON VACATION.

Some of us ladies are taking campers to Pigeon Forge Tenn and spending the week there. The men get to pull them over there but then they have to come back home. NO MEN ALLOWED. Only on the week-end. I really need this vac.
    I have trained a girl all week and it is so STRESSFUL.
    Driving me crazy.

Shirley

• luvmybulbs
    17 years ago

Hi all, just want to post I might be late on the holy smokes swap. I am in the mid west where we have had major storms and power outages. I have power here at work but not at home. The St. Louis are has over 500,000 people without power. It has been off and on since Wed. My power came back on yesterday morning, we had another storm hit today and it is off, just got a phone call they are shutting off the water in out town, something about the local mill has contaminated it! Sheesh! So now I get to go home and see if there is anymore storm damage!! I will get back on and let you guys know the deal. I feel for anyone else if you are in the middle of this crap!

Angie

• toomanyanimals
    17 years ago

MY HOLY SMOKES BOX FROM DEBBIE!

I'm not sure how what areas they belong in, but I will try to place them ...

1. (Windchimes) Beautiful wooden windchimes!
    2. (Decorative) A big green frog birdfeeder ... you put the birdfeed in his crown.
    3. (Garden Mag) - One I can't remember the name of it... it is at the cottage and she sent me a bunch of older ones I was looking for. :o)
    4. (Iris) - Walking Iris
    5. (Daylily)- Rainbow Eyes Daylily
    6. (Something dear from her garden) A Traveling Daylilies Birdhouse Gourd ... I just think this is the greatest!!!
    7. (Spacecoast) Spacecoast Carnival
    8. (Flower bulbs) Pregnant Onion
    9. (Something Purple) - Substituted with 'Mr. Murder' by Dean Koontz?
    10. (Something pink) - Naked Lady bulbs
    11. (Bird gift) - A new hummingbird feeder. I gave up last year, but will try again with this new beautiful one!
    12. (Spider)- substituted with Daylily Meadow Sweet?
    13. (Angel) - Angel Whispers Glade Candle
    14. (Wearable)- Substituted with cute 'potted candles'?
    15. (Double) - Substituted with Daylily Clincher?
    16. (Plant Markers) - nice ones!

Debbie - hope I did a good job matching these up.
    Thanks for all the goodies!
    Sharon/tma

• toomanyanimals
    17 years ago

I wanted to post a quick note to all of you~

I'm leaving the group for personal reasons.
    I hope to have time to read the posts once in a while.

Debbie, I have your box almost ready to go ... I will get it out early next week.

Sorry to make you change the TD emailing list again. LOL

I'll miss you all,
    sharon/tma

• User
    17 years ago

Sharon, I'm so sorry to hear you're going on hiatus for awhile. We'll all eagerly await your return. Check in every once in awhile and just say "Hi, I'm alive," okay?

My bassett hound, Maizie, died last weekend. Acute peritonitis from something she ate (a chicken bone, we're pretty sure). She threw up Friday morning, again Saturday morning. I took her to the vet at 10:30 am and she was gone two hours later before they could do emergency surgery on her. The peritonitis was diagnosed on autopsy.

Walt and I are lost without her but we both said no more pets. We have Baby Benjamin to love and we'll eventually get our balance back. It's just so very sad right now.

Sorry I've been distant. Work is busy, weather is steaming hot alternating with torential storms, then the dog--just haven't had the heart to chat.

Sounds like everyone's hanging in, that's good.

Dianne/dian57

• juspeachy
    17 years ago

Sharon,
    I am so sorry to hear you are leaving us. You will be sorely missed. I second what Di said. Please stop by and say Hello once in a while. And come back as soon as you get whatever it is straightened out.

Di,
    I am so very sorry to hear about Maizie. I know how much you loved her. I can totally relate to the "no heart to chat" thing. Know you are in my prayers.

We lost one of our kitties this morning.(only our old girl left now) He came as a kitten, and he was nearly 8 months old. We had planned on getting him neutered,but the money just wasn't available, due to first me taking time off, and then DH heart attack. Well, now we don't have to worry about him. He is gone. He was such a sweetie, we will miss him tremendously.

It has rained all day here, and after the record high temps of this past week, a high of only 67 today is a bit difficult to adjust to.

I have been doing daylily crosses all week. Quite a few have already set pods. I am so excited.

Marea,
    I did one cross with you in mind. I know how much you love "blue". So I did a cross with 2 blue eyed cultivars.
    We shall see what happens.You will get the first increase if any turn out great.

I have almost everything for my "HOLY SMOKE" box.Just need a couple more items and it is good to go.

Well, my little granddaughter is here, so, gotta go and play.(smiles)

Hve a great night everyone,
    hugs to all,
    Jo

• mellen
    17 years ago

Sharon/tma, I am so sorry that you feel you need to leave the group. I have been in many different robins and groups with you, and you are such a nice person. I DO hope that sometime in the future you will come back.

Dianne, I certainly feel your pain. Those of us who have lost a dear pet know exactly what you are going through. And Jo, your kitty? Darn it all! My heart hurts for both of you ladies.

We are having cooler temps here finally. The heat and humidity broke Thursday. We have had temps in the 70's and 80's without the humidity. It's been wonderful working outside! I have finally gotten through all of my flower beds and pulled weeds so everything is looking pretty decent. FInally!

My newphew from TX is staying with my parents for a week so we(my immediate family) is getting together for lunch tomorrow then going to a waterpark. Should be a fun day!

Blessings to all of you,
    Mary Ellen/Mellen

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sharon, i'm really sorry to hear of your decision to leave our TD family.......I hope it's only temporary. I sure will miss you. I'm really sad. : (

Dianne, big hugs to you and your DH.....I'm really sorry about Maizie and I know what you are dealing with right now...wish I could take away the ache in your heart. Truly sorry for your loss.

And Jo, i'm very sad to hear about your kitty. I'm so very sorry. I think you've suffered enough losses this year and dealt with one too many hardships.

Angie, hope you are doing okay. I read about all the storm damage and power outages in yesterday's paper. Please check in as soon as you can.

Mellen, have a great time at the waterpark!

Shirley, have fun in Pigeon Forge.......I just love it there and can't wait to visit again. If you see Dolly, tell her I said HELLO! ; )

Marea, shade cloth over yard sounds good! It sure was a sticky week. Finally a little cooler here this morning.

Barb, hope you are feeling better. So sorry about your tumble. I'm really glad it wasn't worse.

Big day today......not only is it my sisters Bridal Shower, but my 12th wedding anniversary as well.

I am getting ready to head outside and cut flowers from the gardens for centerpieces on the tables, and I still have a few presents to wrap. Gotta' figure out how to scrub all this dirt off myself so I look presentable, LOL. My sis is very excited and I hope she has a wonderful time.

After the shower, DH is whisking me away to Wheeling, WV for an overnight......we took the day off work tomorrow. Gonna' go watch the sweet Greyhounds race. There is also ballroom dancing tonight, but we will probably only sit on the sidelines.

My HOLY SMOKES box will go out next week sometime.

Have a good rest of the weekend everyone,
    ~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• mamabeargloria
    17 years ago

Sharon.... you come on back girl anytime... i always enjoyed you!
    Di.... oh man,,,,, I am so sorry.... nuff said sweety, i have no words..but hear me when i say i understand!

wow at the holy smoke boxes! yall are terrific!
    mine are going out tuesday....

i have worked so hard today that i cant sleep... how dumb is that?

I recieved this in a email so i thought id post it for all to read...or say... or pray...
    its a prayer for all the soliders...

Dear Father in Heaven, Holy is your name, we come to you in Jesus name, petitioning for your grace upon the troops that are in Iraq. We ask that you keep them in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Please help them to make it thru the weather extremes. We pray also that you will give each leader wisdom. Lead them not into temptation but deliver them from evil. Please heal the broken-hearted and encourage the downcast. Please bring this war to a quick resolution. I ask this in the name of Jesus, our Lord and Savior. Amen."

The part that said.. protect them as they protect us REALLY got me... so true and somehow so forgotton by some...
    not us huh?

ok back to work... still listing.... if you didnt get an email from me today please email me.... hugs to all
    im roasting.. its killer hot here... mercy me!

• barbamaman
    17 years ago

Wow, I'm tired! Just got a new body brace fitted which is better than the old, but hurts enuf to keep me from sleeping. A few adjustments from now, it'll be fine.

Today I shipped Gloria's HOLY SMOKES! box - DC# 0305 0830 0003 2090 6322. Heavy sucker! Hope she enjoys it - I had fun!

More another time - had a routine dr. appt. today and tomorrow, all the way to the probate lawyer in my deceased friend's town, almost 3 hours away. It's a beautiful drive I always enjoy, but I'd better lie down in the van on the way or I'll be a mess at the lawyer's. I'm executor of his will, in case I didn't say so before.

Love to you all -

Barb

• mareas
    17 years ago

Barb, lying prone for 3 hours to honor a friend! You make my heart sing!

Cody, This weekend's Moving turned into a rodeo, culminating with us loading the Harley on it's trailer at midnight last night & breaking mirrors& daylily pots, so I did NOT get your box mailed as planned. But LOOK what I found I have an extra BIRTHDAY fan of, after all, for your Box:
    {{gwi:1276277}}
    Ancient Wisdom

And this is my flower of the day:

Magic Amethyst

I just love Sharon & she has promised me that she will still talk daylilies with me. So she is not all that far away, just on the other side of her screen, you know...~m'

• toomanyanimals
    17 years ago

Debbie, your Holy Smokes box was mailed today.

Paul, let me know about the next mailing of the DVD's. I've already sent the 24's on ahead.

sharon

• pchanggeo
    17 years ago

Hi everyone.... I'm still alive... bearly. I'm slowly melting away from the heat.

Yes, please mail the dvds to the next person. Thanks.

I need to catch up on reading, etc. Also, I received my fantastic Holy Smokes swap box from Deni... I'll post about it tonight. I gotta get going on my end of the swap box, or the Holy Smokes you see will be from my butt after receiving Gloria's wrath... LOL.

Paul

• dirtpig
    17 years ago

First off HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAYS ALL..hope you all had a good time and cake..lots of cake..smiles

Loving all the pictures..beautifull..just beautifull.
    That little red head sure is a dolly.

Now down to business...I got the box of all boxes yesterday.
    I'm tellin you...WOW..I still can't believe it..its just WOW
    Ok Shirley sent me most of her gardens..lol
    Daylilies
    Amy Michelle-Double
    Border Sentry
    Eves Forever
    Frankies Fantasy-spider
    Laveder Bonanza- spider
    Ruth Griffin
    Scarlock
    Spacecoast Sweeteye
    Wind Frills-spider
    Double Decker
    as if that wasn't enuff to keep anyone happy she sent more

Bearded Irises
    Bubbling Angel
    Chickasaw Sue
    Cloud Ballet
    Franch Rose
    Janie Meek
    Tempting Fate
    Waltz across Texas
    Wildcat Pajamas

Crinum
    Milk and Honey

Cannas
    Gaiety
    Lucifer

Asiatic lily
    Connenticut King

Oak Leaf Yellow Hibiscus--need to tell me about this one,as being in zone 4..should I put in pot and bring in house in winter? Or plant it out in the yard? Oh help...plz

Japanese iris
    Momogazum

Louisiana Irises
    Freddie Boy
    Gerry Marstellar
    Voodoo Rite
    Winter Encore

and then
    an Home interior angel...so pretty
    Backyard living-garden Mag
    Patriotic dishtowels and ornaments
    Dragonfly Windchime--went outside instantly..lol
    Metal Plant Markers,use everyone one of them already and
    Purple Lavendar Soap..smell like heaven

Then she write ...hope you can use these plants..LOL
    not a one did I have..to kewl..someone plz coming over and planted all of those please...smiles.
    THANK YOU,THANK YOU...I'm still doing the happy dance..=)

Need alittle help here ...as I lost the tag for this one.
    And I'm sure someone from D.T's sent it to me.Any ideas

Altanta Moonlight in the daisies

Chicago Voilet

This one was from Cody....Double Firecracker

Just want to share this with you all...its been putting quite the show all week

Hugs all..Jean/Dirtpig

• veeja11
    17 years ago

Sharon you will be missed, here is a pic of another seedling, I received from you, it has a ruffled edge, you sent me a variety seed pkg, I got an orange, peach and this one{{gwi:1276285}} Angie my box may be late also, my trusty car died and it has been in the 90's here, I am a 70's girl. hugs to all stay cool carol

• budsnblooms
    17 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I am having a wonderful summer. It has been very busy for me as I see it has for most of you. I will tell and show you more about my summer through later posts and pictures.

Happy Birthday to our July people.

I am sorry about our member's losses. People, pets and plants:0(

Sharon, is there no way you can stay? You guys know how I am about members leaving...I hate it. Can we beg you into staying? I always feel like I did something to make people want to leave...did I? I hope my guilt complex is just working overtime...Especially since I was your partner this time. I will post when I get your box. I'm just so sad.

More later...Glad to see Canna and Jean posting.
    Debbie/budsnblooms

• juspeachy
    17 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Debbie,
    glad to see you are still with us. I agree with you about members needing to leave. It is always sad when they need to leave us. Sounds like you have had a really "good" summer. Can't wait to hear all about it. PICS???

Cindy,
    Hope you are doing good. Stop by and say hi if you can.

Paul,
    Yeah, you ARE still with us. Please do not melt. We only have you and Cody, gotta keep our guys, ya know?

Carol.
    NICE seedling. Are you gonna name it with the AAHS? Hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to fix your car. Or, are you going to have to get another one?

Jean,
    You are right, WOW is the word for that box of goodies.
    Can't help you with your daylily ID, sorry.

Marea,
    LOVE that Magic Amethyst. Ok, please explain "rodeo". You have my curiosity piqued.

Barb,
    Hope you adjust to your new brace quickly. Hope the drive goes quickly for you, and your time with the attorney is as easy as possible. hugs! Had to close accounts and do the attorney thing after my mom passed, not an easy thing to do. My thoughts and prayers are with you still.

Gloria,
    THANK YOU for the prayer for the military. They so need us to be there for them. Wish I could give each and every one of them a hug, and a "thank you".

Dawn,
    How did the shower go? And hope you had a blast on your mini vacation.

Angie,
    Hope you are doing better after the bad storms. Keeping you in prayers.

Shirley,
    Did you get to meet Dolly? Hope you had a ton of fun.

Mary Ellen,
    Did you have a blast at the Waterpark? Hope so.

Di,
    Thinking of you. Give little Benjamin a hug for me.Love ya,

I went back to work yesterday. Wow, things have changed in 4 months. It is a bit of an adjustment, just being a regular associate, after 6 years of being a manager. But, I LIKE IT!!! ,No doors to unlock, and packages to sign in, no paperwork to do constantly, no decisions to be made, no deadlines to meet, no keeping an eye on all of the workers and making sure they are doing their jobs, no reprimmands to give out, no having to make grouchy customers happy. I get to turn all of that over to one of the managers. AND, no more 55-60 hours a week away from home. YIPPEE!!! So, I get to be home and work in my gardens, and do crafts. I will actually get to use the thousands of craft items and fabrics in my sewing/craft room now. I am soooo happy.
    It is going to be a big adjustment for all of the other managers as well. While I was working yesterday, the manager on duty was on the phone, and the back door rang for a delivery, she looked at me, and i just smiled and shrugged my shoulders, "NO KEYS". After she got off the phone and brought in the delivery, she came back out and grinned at me and said "You are really gonna be a pain in the a** aren't you?" I just grinned back and said "Who Me?"
    Yes, I am definitely gonna like being a part timer instead of a manager.
    Well, best get moving, gotta start dinner. Our turn to fix dinner for everyone(we all take turns), we are all going to SIL pool. Have to be there at 4.

Hope I didn't miss anyone,
    hugs to all,
    Jo

• pchanggeo
    17 years ago

Can someone finish up this thread and start a new one so I can post about my Holy Smokes box from Deni? I don't want my post to get buried down here :-).

Paul

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay Paul....here ya' go.....

Why do you whisper in the garden????

~Dawn (mamabirrd)