Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone with photos of larry's iris

Posted by ishareflowers 5 MA. (ishareflowers@aol.com) on
Wed, Jun 22, 11 at 7:45

I woke up today to two emails...one from dem_pa and another fron Vicki with pictures of blooming iris'. Did anyone else remember to take a pic for Larry to see...

Larry turned 86 since sending out iris rhizomes but he is still with us!! I would love to be able to show him some photos next time I visit..

Thanks

Lisa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone with photos of larry's iris

sorry but mine are still too small to bloom maybe next year

o

Mine is still too small to bloom. I am hoping for next year.

o

I had to move, and took them with me. However, very sorry to say I lost track of them & now don't know which is which.

o

mine died after about 2 months.

o

My are looking great, but still waiting for a bloom. Hopefully next year! :)

o

Hi Lisa, Sorry for the delay. The Iris received from Larry bloomed last year and again this year. It seems to have settled in and is doing well. I love it and I have found an historic iris that I think might be the one, called 'Honorable' though I have no way of knowing for sure.
From 2011GardenPart2

Here is a link that might be useful: Larry's Iris in Massachusetts

o

I thought I would bring this thread back for people who have Larry's iris's to post pics of.

Sadly, Larry passed away this past fall at the ripe old age of 86!

DOUCETTE, Lawrence L. Of Wilmington, November 15, 2011 at age 86. Beloved husband of the late Jean (Smith) Doucette. Devoted father of David Doucette and his wife Barbara, Suzanne Rude and her husband Curtiss, Valerie Sydell and her husband Cliff. Cherished grandfather of Valerie Rude, Elizabeth Rude, Michelle Doucette, Christopher Sydell and Amy Doucette. Dear brother of Harold Doucette and his wife Ann, Pauline VanSchalkwyk and the late William, Arthur and Wilbur Doucette. His close friends, Helen Dacey, Lillian Brown and Mike Elia. Also survived by many loving nieces and nephews. US Army Veteran, Korea. President of Historic Iris Preservation Society. Member of A.I.M. of Wilmington. Funeral from the Doherty - Barile Family Funeral Home, 11 Linden St., READING, Saturday at 9am, followed by a Funeral Mass celebrating Lawrence's Eternal Life in St. Thomas of Villanova Church, 126 Middlesex Ave., Wilmington at 10am. Family and friends are cordially invited to gather and share remembrances with the Family on Friday from 3-7pm in the Funeral Home. Interment Wildwood Cemetery, Wilmington.

Please post pictures here!

Lisa

o

Here's a pic of what mine looks like (actually I gave it to my Mom for her birthday).

#1 Heirloom/heritage Pictures, Images and Photos

o

I'm so sorry to hear that Larry passed away. He sounds like a special person and it's wonderful that his irises are bringing joy to other gardeners. I didn't receive any plants from him so I can't post a picture. I just wanted to express my sadness that he passed away and my joy that he shared his plants from his special garden. If there are plants in heaven, I'm sure he is enjoying the gardens there.

o

I'm so sorry about Larry. In a way, I have him to attribute to my new found affinity for irises. I placed an order with Schreiners just a week ago. I'm glad his memory will live in in others gardens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here