Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowergirl34_gw

NEW: mnf: june's one really weird swap :0)

flowergirl34
12 years ago

Hi everyone!! And welcome to the Make New Friends (MNF) ONE REALLY WEIRD SWAP. :0)

This swap is for the odd, unusual or plants that you just think are really neat in your garden. It doesn't have to be super expensive, just unusually neat to you. I have a couple of iris that come to mind, as well as a coneflower or two...you guys get the idea. :0)

This swap is for plants only. And we are sending in Med. Flat Rate Box, so please try to fill that box to the tippity top.

So here are the rules:

1. Sign-ups are until June 15th. I'll post swap partners on the 16th.

2. You have until June 30 to mail your package. Med. Flat Rate Box with Delivery Confirmation. Please post your DC number here when you mail.

3. Please include plants that you yourself would like to receive.

4. Please post here when you receive your box and share all the weirdness with the rest of us. :)

5. HAVE FUN!!!

This swap is open to everyone wanting to Make New Friends. Newbies, veterans...everybody! So what are you waiting for sign up :)

Thanks so much!

vina

ps...I'll be posting our first game on the 13th...:0) wonder what it could be???

Comments (34)

• sjc48
    12 years ago

This sounds good - I have some unusual butterfly host plants, and other plants, so count me in!
    Shirley!

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Afternoon!

Hi Shirley! Thanks for signing up :)

Boy! Do we at least have some lurkers or is everyone out in there gardens :D

• suegardens2
    12 years ago

I'm lurking. But, I don't know if I have enough "weird" plants to participate. I have daylilies with unusual eyes and tall bearded iris in unusual color combinations. Would those qualify?

It sounds like a really fun swap and it would be great to join in if my plants are unusual enough.

Thanks for hosting Vina. You always do a great job!!!

Sue N.

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi all, just checking in!

Sue, that's exactly what I had in mind (weird eyes and strange color combo's) PERFECT! :)

Hope you join! and any other lurkers out there...sign up :0)

Have a great night everyone.
    vina

• suegardens2
    12 years ago

Ok. Sounds great, count me in!!!

Sue N.

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good morning!

Sue, so glad you joined. And I will try my best to be a good hostess. But I must admit you guy really make it easy. :)

So far we have signed up:

vina aka flowergirl34
    shirely aka sjc48
    sue n. aka suegardens2

Going to be a hot one today here, in the 90's. I don't know how some of you are handling all this heat all at once. I saw on the news some places are in the high 90's - 100's already! Wow...can you say late August? This weather has gotten wonky to say the least.

On a happy note. I received a phone call from the Master Gardener's club and they would like to take a walk through my garden as one of there classes! I was so honored I said yes immediately...now I'm a little nervous...I mean these ladies will be looking at every minute detail. My gardens will be under the proverbial microscope...I'm getting a little scared now :) I have about a week to prep...wish me luck!

Have a super day everyone...try to stay cool!
    vina

• nottougly
    12 years ago

I would like ti join this swap but the tornado on April - 27th took all of my plants. So I will sit this one out unless something comes up that the tornado did not take.
    Have fun everyone.
    Faye!

• lovesherflowers
    12 years ago

I would like to sign up for the swap!
    Liz

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Wow, Vina! What an honor, I'm sure the gardens will look just beautiful! Don't be nervous, they must have seen or heard something they liked, to have asked you!
    We're off on a Watkins Glen/Letchworth State Park photo excursion, will check back in on Monday.
    Shirley!

• celeegra
    12 years ago

Hi I'm lurking. I love the idea but I don't know if I have enough weird plants for a medium flat rate. I gave a lot of my cool weird stuff away for my march dr Seuss theme box. Let me take some inventory before committing.
    That's incredible that your garden's on display for a tour! They must've asked because they think it's worth the trip. A lot of people pass by & tell me nice garden or wow you really work hard, but no one's asked to tour my patch o' grass. One person did comment that all my winter sowing starts looked like a science experiment. I don't know if that was a complement but I beamed & said thank you anyway. Lol
    anyhoo I'll get back to you.
    Grace

• robin1962_2008
    12 years ago

I would love to join the fun !! This sounds very intriguing!!!

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

I love the theme but I think I'd better sit this one out. I'll be looking in to see what fun plants get swapped.
    Alana

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Afternoon everyone! :)

I still can't believe they would want to come and walk around MY yard. I started making a list (and the list is getting long!) of here and there things I should get done before they come. It's going up to 95 today so I don't know how much I can start...will have to see.

Shirley if your headed to Watkins Glen you'll be about and hour and half from my house :) Hope you have a great time. Letchworth is amazing and you should also check out Buttermilk Falls, its breathtaking!

Faye and Alana thanks for checking in :) Hope you join us for some games.

Grace anything that you think might be "weird" in your garden is just perfect! A funky color or texture. Variegated and just a little different will be awesome! And all my leftover seedling are now taking residence across my entire back deck. I started with 600 seedlings (some gave away, some went to a plant swap and some are already out in the gardens). So I'm left with 276 in pots out on the back deck. Its like a jungle out there :) Definitely not garden tour ready that's for sure.

Liz and Robin welcome to the weirdness! :)

Signed up for some June weirdness:

vina aka flowergirl34
    shirely aka sjc48
    sue n. aka suegardens2
    liz aka lovesherflowers
    robin aka robin1962-2008

Still taking sign-ups...

Have a great day and talk to you soon!
    vina

• lovesherflowers
    12 years ago

Thanks Vina! I am new to gardening so what seems unusual, weird, or just plain strange may be a little different to me. So if I think something is weird and send it and you think its normal I apologize in advance to whoever gets it. But hey, we were all new once right lol? But I promise I will try my best to get some really neat things in there!

Good luck with the Garden tour! It sounds exciting!

• suegardens2
    12 years ago

Hi Vina, congratulations on having the Master Gardener Club coming out to your home! That is the highest honor. If I were in your shoes I'd be so nervous I would probably be out there 24/7 trying to make sure every weed was irradicated and that everything looked just perfect. I wouldn't be able to handle the pressure. I'm starting to feel the pressure for my daughter's wedding too and I keep telling myself that everything is on schedule.

This is shaping up to be a really great swap! I knew we would have a great group.

Have a nice evening everyone!

Sue N.

• trovesoftrilliums
    12 years ago

I'd like to join in. First timer. :)

• sred98
    12 years ago

I had such a wonderful time with the May swap, that I am really interested in this one!!! I am having trouble thinking of anything, though I do have one thing that comes to mind, but not enough to fill a box. :-/

I have thought of a few other things, so put me as a yes!!

Shelly

• suegardens2
    12 years ago

Hi Shelly. I was having the same problem thinking of unusual or weird plants. Vina helped me out by explaining that for instance, irises with unusual color combinations and daylilies with interesting eyes are great for this swap. I have been thinking about other plants too. For example, hosta with interesting patterns or textures, plants with interesting foliage like coral bells, odd named or different looking, unusual colors, or rare plants would qualify. So it doesn't seem so overwhelming to fill up a box when you kinda think "out of the box" a little. Pardon the pun, lol! I'll bet we all come up with some great boxes!

Have a great night everyone!

Sue N.

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good morning everyone!

trovesoftrilliums and shelly Welcome! Welcome!

I think Sue explained it perfectly! If you think its interesting I'm sure your swap partner will too. I was even considering some C R A Z Y daisies for my box. :) Even though they are 'just' daisies...they are CRAZY :)!

Sue, wish me luck! I started my 'to do' list (that is still getting longer), and I have 8 days till they come. You pray for me and I'll pray for you :)

My mom went through the same thing with my wedding. I am definitely a type A personality, and was involved in everything...and probably making everyone crazy. She was running all around too. In the end it turned out wonderful! :) I'm sure its going to be a wonderful ceremony and a gorgeous day!

vina aka flowergirl34
    shirely aka sjc48
    sue n. aka suegardens2
    liz aka lovesherflowers
    robin aka robin1962-2008
    trovesoftrilliums
    shelly aka sred98

still taking sign-ups :) and will be posting the first game on MONDAY...woo hoo!

Have a super Friday everyone!!
    vina

• rosemctier
    12 years ago

i have been mia for too long and think this is the perfect swap to come back with! i have some weird stuff and cool stuff and, well, normal stuff too, so will be fun to pack a box! sign me up :)

vina, how exciting! will you be posting pics?

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

hello everyone! it's been awhile, but I thought I'd peek in and see how y'all are doing. things are a bit hectic here at the moment, otherwise I'd join in. I do like the theme!
    Whilst reading the threads, I noticed that Mavis is asking for someone to take her spot in hosting the July swap. Would you mind if I did it? It's usually been pretty fun hosting a plant swap, and I do have a couple of ideas for a swap bouncing around in my head. So, what do you say?

Hugs & Hair-mussings All Around!
    Dan & Co.

• pinenuts
    12 years ago

Hi! Looking forward to the swap - really creative. Is this the Priority Mail box you refer to use? I'd love peonies, iris, daylily, asclepias, echinaceas (coneflowers). I've got some interesting high desert natives to share in particular. Thanks!
    CZ

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good morning everyone! I had a really busy weekend and wasn't even able to get near the computer till this morning. Friday we had water delivered for the pool...which was interesting to say the least.

Saturday we had a road long yard sale. Our whole road participated. I figured I would be sitting out there alone...boy! was I wrong. All my kids big toys went, most of there clothes...and...drum roll please...I sold 97 pots of plants :)!!! I put some out front just to see if anyone would like them...WOW! I started them all from seed this spring, just makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing you grew something that and someone else wants to take home for there gardens :)

And in between all of this I am turning out to be a weeding machine! Every little scrap of green vermin is history in my garden. I must say I am handling the pressure better than I thought. Although the last 48 hours I'm sure I'll start the hot sweats and running around like a maniac trimming anything that isn't running away, lol! They are coming Friday afternoon...

Hi Rose!! So glad you signed up :) Welcome to the weirdness! :)

Hi Dan!! Haven't "seen" you in a while. So glad you popped in to say HI! :) Any idea from you Dan is bound to be fun...I say go for it and see you in JULY.

Hi CZ! are you signing up? Yup, its a med. flat rate box, with Delivery Confirmation. You won't know what will be in your weird box till you receive it and then please post the contents for us to all share with you. :)

vina aka flowergirl34
    shirely aka sjc48
    sue n. aka suegardens2
    liz aka lovesherflowers
    robin aka robin1962-2008
    trovesoftrilliums
    shelly aka sred98
    rose aka rosemctier

This is shaping up to be a super fun swap! Still have time to sign-up. Posting partners on the 16th.

And since today is MONDAY...I'll be posting a game later today.

Have a super day!
    vina

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Good Morning, Everyone! Just got back from chasing waterfalls in the Finger Lakes region of New York! We went to 5 state parks in 3 days-Letchworth-simply beautiful; Watkins Glen-the best we've been to yet; Taughhannock-gorgeous; Robert Treman-the Lucifer gorge was incredible; and Buttermilk Falls-in the middle of a thunder storm, but beautiful nonetheless! Also lots of little falls around Horseheads and Watkins Glen. Great Trip, and I got some fantastic pics!
    Now I have to weed,clip and trim the flower gardens; start thinking up "weird" name tags for all these plants I have for the swap, and do laundry!
    Vina-do you live anywhere near Ithaca? Spent some time there, not because we wanted to, but because I seem to have a hard time finding my way OUT of towns!
    Hey, have a great day everyone!
    Shirley!

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

JULY TEASER...JULY TEASER...JULY TEASER...JULY TEASER

The July Swap is going to be called "Letting Freedom Ring", and is going to be a mix of ideas I've trotted out before in my swaps. I gaurantee I'm going to make your ears "ring" in this one! I want to give you all a chance to start getting your boxes sent out for June, so I'm going to post the July swap this coming week-end.

I've just got one question for you all, are you ready for a little revolution???

STAY TUNED!!!

-Dan

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good afternoon everyone!

Well, I am not turning out to be a very good hostess, and I want to apologize. I promised to post a game yesterday, and forgot all about it...so sorry!!

So, here it is...

GAME TIME ~~~~~~GAME TIME~~~~~~ GAME TIME~~~~~~~ GAME TIME~~~

Whoever can answer this will receive a super awesome iris from my garden...the amazing iris MINE...google it...its awesome!

How many flowerbeds do I have at my house right now?
    (I ask this because weeding like a maniac these last few days has really put things into some weird perspective...although I'll probably be adding one or two more by fall,lol!)

The first person close or right on the money by Friday WINS! :)

Shirley, I'm about 45-50 minutes north of Ithaca. Just keep driving up Cayuga Lake and take a left, you'll hit my house :)

Dan, can't wait to see what you have in store!

Happy FLAG Day everyone!!
    vina

• suegardens2
    12 years ago

Hi Vina,

I'll bet your tired of all that garden work. It is such an honor to have the Master Gardener's Club tour your gardens though, and I'm sure it will be worth it. Take lots of pics. I have never been able to have my entire garden free of weeds, I'm sad to say. I've been praying for you, and I hope you're remembering me in your prayers. I've been dealing with wedding details almost daily and I think I'm more stressed than my daughter, lol!

Anyway, regarding the game, I am going to say that you have 17 garden beds.

Hang in there, I'm sure everything will go great.

Sue N.

• celeegra
    12 years ago

OK I've been hemming & hawing while stalking here long enough. Sign me up for this month.
    Vina, I only have a tiny plot & yet managed to squeeze out 9 different beds. So I'm guessing you have at least 24.
    Grace

• sjc48
    12 years ago

My guess is 15 flower beds!
    Shirley!

• rosemctier
    12 years ago

hmmmmm looking at vina's trade list makes me think her garden is HUGE!! hmmmmmm i'll guess 35.

hope everyone is doing okay and things have calmed down weather wise!

• suegardens2
    12 years ago

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying some nice outdoor weather.

Vina, I know you are probably working hard in your garden. I'm sure all your beds are in pristine condition by now, lol. So please come back to us.

Can't believe tomorrow is already the 16th. Can't wait to see who my partner is!

Goodnight all, I'm turning in early. I've been busy weeding the garden beds preparing for out of town guests for my daughter's early July wedding.

Sue N.

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    12 years ago

HI! started a new thread...please go there for partners and other fun tidbits :)
    thanks!
    vina

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

I hope everything is going smoothly today, Vina! I am sure you will knock their socks off.
    Alana

• rosemctier
    12 years ago

yes, vina, do tell us how it all goes :)