Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

o
UPDATE: Second 'Make New Friends' Robin is Still Open!

Posted by vela75 6/WV (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 2, 07 at 9:01

Hi everyone! This is the second thread for this swap, but it is still open...we are having so much fun. Everyone is welcome to join. So come on newbies and oldies...what are you waiting for? We will hold it open until the 15th. Here is a link to the original thread.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roundrobin/msg0512100713338.html?147

Follow-Up Postings:

o
WV and Plant Markers

I saw a very smart way to cheaply and permanently label our plants in the Frugal Gardening Section here! Take some flat, palm size rocks, write the name of the plant on the rock with a paint pen, and then spray with clear lacquer! Very inexpensive and doesn't wear of with weather! Thought I would share!

Vella,
Just to follow up on my WV trip. I had one of the best weekend get-a-ways with my best friend and our kids. We swam in the rivers, taught the kids to fish, went 4 wheeling and hiking! We spent the weekend with her parents who have been building a house on their own over the last 10 years. 72 acres of near untouched land. It was absolutely beautiful. The sunsets were amazing! I had an excellent time and am dying to go back! The people I met were amazing, friendly and gracious! The food was awesome, too! I think I wouldn't mind living there myself!

Tracy

o
Move on in!

There's a house on my street for sale! :-)
I do love WV. It's a simple place (It has to be, I live in it. Ha!) I've visited a lot of places, but there's no place like home.

I like the rock idea! I saw an interesting idea for that too. When I purchased some plants from a sale to benefit the local fire department, they had used an old vinyl mini blind, and cut it into 4 inch strips and wrote on those. They're pretty sturdy, so far mine have held up great.

o
RE: UPDATE: Second 'Make New Friends' Robin is Still Open!

I really like the rock idea. If you choose pretty rocks, they will add to the garden rather than cluttering it up.
All around us it seems to be raining, but we are still bone dry. We are in a moderate drought, heading toward severe. I hope you guys are getting enough rain.
Here are some of the creatures I enjoyed while working in the garden today.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

i know, it kept saying we were done with the rain, what do ya know? we got more, every night. i like the rock idea too, soo cool!! my puupies are sooo making me madddd!!!! they got into my begonia bed that i didn't even get to show off yet :'( and tore it allll up!! to say that i wanted to beat them is not even close! LOL so bay got them pinned up. that's what i call my son. i told grant to get rid of them while we are gone! all except the one puppy, he calls him cujo, he likes to chew on your ear, LOL and he had to be a dog, LOL i'm so excited, i hope i find some really good flowers, i wish that we had time to go roadside shoppin LOL i told dad that even if the truck was goin and i seen a pretty i'd jump out and get it, and just laughed, he said he believed me and said i was crazy, of course laughing!! LOL i'll take pics of any finds!! and mel, i'll look for anything purple or deep blue!! :')

o

Wow! Those are great pictures! I wish I had creatures like that around here. All I see are lizards.

I was at the plant store today and I saw a baby bunny running around. It was so cute.

I got my butterfly bush yesterday, and I also got a rosemary bush for half price. I will post pics later. It is kind of stormy here today.

Home Depot had some neat bulbs on clearance. They are gladiolus and they are called "Nymph". They were only $2.00 a bag! Here is what they will look like.

I was wondering...I have a place in front of my house that does not have any flowers. I was thinking of mixing iris, spider lilies, rain lilies, anemones, nymph gladioli, tigridia and peacock orchids. Do you guys think that will work? Or would it look strange? Should I clump them together in little sections? I am clueless!

And those dogs on the last forum were adorable! I just love the first one!
Laurie

o
Drought

I understand drought! We haven't seen rain in a good while. The heat has been ridiculous...I'm out watering every evening. Congrats on everyone's great flower finds! I LOVE that butterfly bush AND the gladiolous Laurie! Love all the critter pics. Wish I could respond to each post, but I would be here forever because I really do like all the pictures.

My neighbors probably think I'm crazy. I'm probably gaining an Indian name...something like "Watching Flowers" LOL! I'm always out there looking....like they're going to grow while I'm staring at them. But they really do have little surprises for me every day. Today some of my Marigolds I started indoors on Easter started opening up (this was my first year growing from seed, including indoors and out). I also noticed today that my bachelor's buttons have buds on them. My allysum I grew from seed was the first to bloom and is now spreading and filling in nicely.

I followed signs along the road on Memorial Day to a woman's house. She has a little greenhouse in her backyard and grows what she wants that year, plants them in her garden and said she always has too much, so she sells the extras (very cheaply I might add). I got a couple of butterfly bushes that she had separated, some begonias, geranium (I think that's what that one is...I really needed to mark them as I have already forgotten...maybe it is an impatien). I also got some kind of annual daisy that I have already forgotten the name of. Isn't that awful to be so forgetful? As soon as everything that is budded is starting to bloom I'll get some more pictures on here.

o
RE: Drought

We have been sooo dry here for so long! We have only gotten tiny showers every couple of weeks. Normally around here you have to wait till 4pm to cut the grass because of the heavy dew that hangs around. THis year I can cut by 10am. Finally got buckets of rain today! YAY, except we weren't supposed to and I saturated my new plantings with the sprinkler this morning!

Poison: I LOVED your pics. Reminds me of my chipmunks that like to chew on my soapwort. They hang out while I pull weeds. They used to take off as soon as I opened the back door. Now, they sit 3 feet away and have lunch with me. Cute little devils, they need to stop digging up my rock beds though.

Laurie: I have never seen glads that look like that! They're gorgeous! I grew glads 10 years ago. They got too tall, had to stake them. It wasn't pretty, I was very new to gardening then. I kept looking at these goofy awkward things in between my low plantings and wondering when they would fill in. Yeah right, like they just divide and multiply in the first season in the ground. DUH! How tall are the Nymphs supposed to get? They are so cute, I would like to pick some up if they are below 18".

Vella: If I am ever rich I will buy a second home in WV. A huge piece of land with orchards! Glorious! Ask your neighbors if they will extend closing time until I become rich!
I stand staring at my flowers every morning. If my neighbors were home they would think me nuts too. To make it worse, I grill out almost every evening and walk back and forth checking all of my new stuff. My neighbor also grills regularly at that time and I see him looking at me a little odd. I guess that makes me twice the goof ball! You can call me "One Who Walks with Flowers Often". Can;t wait to see the looks when he catches me taking pictures of them!

o
More Flowers

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket I Wish I could take these with me when I go.Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o
Droppin' in to say 'HEY'

I just wanted to say hi to everybody!!! I was checking out the other thread and I love all the pics!! The birdhouses were awesome and all the doogies and nature .... LOVED IT!!! Wish I had the time to join you guys again for another round but maybe I'll catch ya on the next one.
Hope this round robin is every bit as great as the first one was - have fun everybody!!

Wendy
momtoboysjnj

o
Dirt

Dig 'em up and take them! LOL! They won't know the difference. :-)

o
Hi Wendy!!

Hi Wendy! Hope you will stop in and chat with us! :-)

o

exactly!!!!! that's what i'd do!!! i'd take all my flowers!! i'd be diggin till midnight or longer! LOL well, at least take one clump of each. that won't hurt anybody! :'>> and laurie, those are so pretty! i never saw any like that, but, i must say, befor i got on this site,, i never saw half the stuff i have, LOL and your stuff i never saw half of it befor, and i looked up that spider thingi, pretty cool, wierd, but way cool!! but i alway's love wierd!! LOL i'm alway's outta that box ya know. at my moms over the last summer we saw squirrels up really close and they were on the tree's hanging out laying down, and then we always see bunnies, you can get up close. till my rugrats see them. LOL

o

Hi Everyone, I am yes to the 15th. I have been very busy over the weekend helping my sister move into her new apartment. But, Look at this guys my new front Garden Fountain. I knew I would know it when I found it. Another great yardsale find. The old one is now in the large back garden with the birds and hummers. I love all the new pics. Medon't have a great time and bring me back lots of flowers. HEHE

o
RE: UPDATE: momtoboys

momtoboys,
I also am from NJ. I live in Tuckerton. Where are you?

o

I love that fountain. Wow is it beautiful! Do you know the maker? I'm jealous!

o
Hey Melanie!

I think Wendy is from Tennessee. I think the jnj might mean that her boys names begin with J, but I'm not sure. LOVE LOVE LOVE the new fountain! (I am still a little partial to the hosus sprayfloralus sculpture, though).

o
ugh!!

Why can't I just look at my flowers all day? My laundry is so backed up I think I'm going to have to go to the laundry mat to catch up! UGH. I need to be rich enough to hire a live in maid....I hate housework. Wish I would have inherited my mother's love for cleaning...she just cleans cleans cleans...wouldn't find a speck of dust in her house. There are days at my house I think I'd have my children hauled off if someone were to see it! LOL! It's strange how children turn out so different from their parents sometimes. That could be a good thing, maybe my kids will grow up to be neat freaks. HA! Well....off to the laundry mat, hope to see new posts when I return.

o

dumn, I love your lily photos! Those are really beautiful.
Great fountain, too.
Everyone's photos really have added a lot to the fun of visiting this thread!

o

vela, LOL thats so funny!! and so me!!! LOL my mom is a neat freak to the t and i'm outside looking at my "plants" all the time, waiting for them to make a move without me, LOL :') and my housework is not getting done! my hubby says i care more about the plants than the house! how true!!! i hate the dishes, the bathroom!! the livingroom- i can deal with that at least, the fake diningroom or whatever it is these days, our room is the laundryroom, but my kids are clean at the end of the night and fed, and the laundry is always washed and dried, maybe not put away but most of its done, at least his work clothes. there that's honest. now if the plants needed clothes done, that'd be done. LOL just kiddin. the inside is just too confining. ugh!!! and mel!! you are so lucky!! i love that thingi!!! its way cool!! :')) your guy's flowers are so pretty! i think i'll put them all right here, on the left side of my brain, in my imaginairy plaace. LOL :')) ha ha

o
RE: UPDATE: Fountain

Vela
Yes the sprayer plant is the best, but this one is very nice. The only prob. is when bob cleaned it he used a soap and now have millions of bubble running into the garden, since it is raining.
LOL its great

o
RE: UPDATE: Poisondartfrog

Poison,
Is that Jackmanni growing in the purple pots? How do you get them to grow, Mine are not doing anything. I love the tree frogs.
Melanie

o
Bubbles!!

Bubbles!!!! That's hilarious!

o

Hey guys....

Here is some new stuff for today.

Here is my fountain. I love fairies and my garden is fairy themed. I even have ceramic mushrooms for the ground.

Here is the butterfly bush.Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And here is a daylily called Fairy Charm.

Traceyvine: Yeah, I got the glads because of the whole fairy theme, and they are gorgeous. They get to be 18-24" tall. I aleady had to stake my other glads. Thankfully I found green bamboo stakes, 25 for 2.00. It doesn't look that bad, but I am ready for them to bloom. They are already 24" tall.

Crystal: I love your fountain!

Laurie

o
Waiting for my glads too

When are glads supposed to bloom? Are they a late bloomer, all summer bloomer, or what? I planted some for the first time this year (some I purcased and some from Laurie :-)
Mine are really tall, but I don't see anything forming on them that looks like something that will bloom...still just leaves.

o

Vela,

Mine do not have any blooms on them yet either. I am getting impatient. But, I did read that it takes 60 to 100 days to bloom from the time of planting. I know mine have not been in the ground for 100 days yet. I think I planted them in April. Here is a link that I found for more information.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Gladiolus

o

i planted some last year and they did not bloom last year. i think it will this year. in the fall. i will let ya know. laurie your statues are pretty! the butterfly things fit ya! i don';t know ya in person but on here you sure are sweet!! :')) whaat did ya say that bush was? its beautiful!!

o
Taking a packing break

I didn't plant the lilies but thanks all.They were left by former tentant,so I feel weird digging them up.But I did notice some babies that might end up missing:>.
Vela: I hope your right about kids being neat ,cause I 'm not. My mom would give Martha Stewart a run for her money though!
Poison:My son loved the"REALLY HUGE FROG"photo. Now he wants one.LOL!
Medontdo: Hope you have a great trip.
Laurie:Where did you find that butterfly bush? Its lovely. Much different from the normal buddleia davidii type of butterfly bush that I have.
Melanie: I love the foutain. My kids would have loved the idea of the birds having a bubblebath.HEHE! Calgon take me away!

o
re: update: faries

Laurie
Love your fountain also, I love faries. That Butterfly bush is beautiful, I see seeds may I have a few?? I started to collect seeds yesterday. I got my 1st ones from the large Clematis on our other thread.

o

ewww i double that one, good eye mel!!! :')) thank you so much april, i think we leave today my mom text me yesterday and said they were breaking records, they will be in late tonight, then text me later and said today, so i think we're gonna leave today instead of tomarrow, you know what that means? more time for pickin wildflowers!! LOL na just kiddin, but really i've never personally met bethany but i've talked to her on the phone and she's just the sweetest thing ever!! i think i talk to her more than jared, and i practically raised him, my moms a truckdriver, if ya couldn't tell, LOL i'm taking her up 2 huge batches of honeysuckle and 2 things of roses, she said she loves them, i didn't expect them to grow quit so well, that's what i get for tellin it who it was goin to and why! LOL grew like crazy! :')) my other ones not anything like these ones!! my banana tree now has 6 leaves on it now. from all that rain! so do i put it out into the ground or just lift it up and give it more dirt? and mel... i was dying laughing!!! omgosh!! i could just see that bubbles everywhere, just a littl food dye and it'd be perfect!! LOL my kids be having too much fun!! LOL i so love all the pictures!! i showed hubby the milkweed i wanted him to get the pods from i said in about a week or 2 they will be ready, don't forget, i want them pods!!!! i'm gonna plant a milkweed garden!! it tastes good if ya get the right one's and ya put onion and bacon and dumplins in it! and pepper to taste!! my son at first said no way, i wont souch that! uh uuuh!!!! know how many bowls he ate after i reminded him that chef combo said you have to try at least 1 bite of something? 3 bowls. ha ha. it was funny.i said ya, tabor that stuff is so yucky isn't it!! LOL it's early in the morning and i'm talkitive, hmmm who knew?? LOL have a great week all i'll hopefully be reading from the phone!! and adding!! :'))

o

Medo, you are one brave gal! I thought milkweeds contained a caustic substance. Does cooking it neutralize it somehow? I tried fried daylily scapes once, but although they tasted alright, the aftermath was not pretty.
Below is a picture of my other dog Happy, the "some kind of a Spitz breed" dog who showed up on my back porch about a year ago. She is smart and cheerful and keeps the deer out of my corn. I don't know where she came from, but she made herself right at home and is now one of the family.
a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
This is a hybrid from the newer African impatiens. They are not yet available from seed, but are easy from cuttings.
This was supposed to be Oriental Lily Royal Dreams. It is not, but it is still pretty.
A dwarf canna I grew from seed this spring, Tropical Salmon:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucketew

o

Hello All;
These pictures are wonderful and they are making me very jealous. I do have some Iris in bloom but it has been raining for four days now so I cannot even take decent pictures. I really want an old cement fountain and I do not think it is fair that Laurie has two when I have none. Poison, that lily might indeed be what they said it was. I have had many lilies that have not bloomed true to color in the first year. I do not know what it was supposed to look like but if the petals are generally the right shade, the nuances may come out in subsequent years. I have had some challenges again this year with the red lily beetle but I hope I won. I think I have eradicated them every year but then I find a few during the season. I think some of my neighbors are less dilligent or clueless and the wind brings visitors. At least I hope so. I received some gourd seeds today from chrystallake as well as some moonflower. Not sure what that is but I will check it out. Melanie, my astilbe have buds so it should not be too long before you will get yours. Have to go now, talk to you soon. diene

o

Hi Everyone! I am laughing so hard about the bubbles! Laurie I absolutely love your butterfly bush and am too sad that the climate is too cold here in the winter for me to have one! Poison, I love your frogs! We have big fat toads here! They love hanging out under my rock garden! Your deck looks great! Very handsome Pup! Happy is a great name!

Medontdo: Have a great time at the wedding! Have a safe trip!

Vella: I'm totally with you on the house work! I let so much stuff pile up it was ridiculous! 5 Kids laundry all stock piled by the washer, took me all day yesterday to get it to 1/2 the size. Spent all Sunday Cleaning! I hate it. Toilets, dishes, vacuum, dust. UGH! Oh yeah and My Little Princess dumped a full pitcher of Kool Aid on the kitchen floor. Added mopping to the list! I'd rather be digging in the dirt! My mom was a neat freak too. I always had a job list waiting for me when I got home from school. Think maybe I'm still rebelling from doing chores?!

It has been so hot here so early that I have so many of my late june stuff blooming now! We finally got a good 2 days of rain with more on the way! It has been too dry here all spring. I've been watering every morning! I already have a decent tan going, this is a shock as I am a real pale face! LOL. Medont: Have a great time with your family! I'm sure you will have a blast! Can't wait to get trading!

Here's some of my new Pics:
Geranium Supertunias and I can't remember the purple ones!
Hardy Hibiscus
Even my blackberries are early this year!

o
RE: UPDATE: Still makin friends

Ahhhh,
Tracyvine-- What are the purple flowers...They are beautiful and I would like to trade for some.

Poison--Your dog also looks like she may have shephard in her. She is very pretty.

I love all the new pictures they are great. It was pouring rain here all day so I have no new pics. Alot more flowers bloomin.

o

Mel,
I am terrible! I can't remember what they are! I will be making a trip back to the garden center soon so I will peak at the label. You should have seen me digging through the gardening garbage can trying to find the tag when I was getting ready to post the pics! LOL! Email me and I will ship you some. They love the sun! They are already too big for my container. I'm going to have to get some kind of pedestal to raise them up. FYI the Dollar General store by me has Table Top Plant Stands for 2 bucks! They look like decorative wrought iron.

o

Mel, the purple flowers look like verbenas. The color is close to "homestead purple" but it is hard to tell about colors in pics. Homestead purple is one of mt #1 favorites. Love the color and it blooms for months and months here.
Tracy I love your R-W-B planter combo and even your blackberries look good.
Beth B

o

Beth, Thank you for figuring out the name of my plant! and for noticing my theme! The verbena is a very deep purple. Can't wait for the blackberries to be ready! Hmmmm, Strawberry/blackberry Pie with ice cream! Yum!

Tracy

o

I planted some pink fairy lilies on Sunday afternoon. Would you believe that they are already sprouting? I could not believe my eyes!

o
Clematis

Chrystal:

I looked on that tree and I didn't see any seeds, I saw baby buds. I did read that it is very easy to take a cutting, so I will do some more research on that and see what it takes.

I wish I knew you wanted Clematis seeds a few weeks ago. I had some white ones I could have sent you. I do have 2 plants that are not doing well down here...do you think they would ship good? One is Niobe and one looks like Firecracker (pink/purple) Neither one has blooms right now. You are welcome to have them for postage if you think they would ship good. I can also send you pics of them.

Laurie

o

Ahhh. I love the clematis. They are so georgeous. Just something about them. I think they are just about my favorites. I planted a Deep red one (forget the name) and a nelly moser, also have 2 more types started as seed.

I love the idea of the names on rocks, my sticks keep losing there names..LOL

I found an old abandonded farm house today, I can see lots of flowers. Im gonna try to check it out tomorrow if the weather is nice, and see what I can get..

o
More Blooms! More Blooms!

Little Friend

unnamed daylily
My marigolds are starting to bloom! I started these indoors from seed on easter.
coreopsis
geranium....wish I would have taken the picture yesterday...finally rained REALLY hard last night...they're starting to fade. :-(
Dames Rocket
My cosmos I started indoors from seed...have one bloom and more buds to go!
Here's what my orange wyoming looks like so far Laurie!
Am just itching for the first rose in my rose garden...won't be long!!!
I can't believe what a little fertilizer will do! These daylilies are over 4 ft tall and are getting ready for a major bloom!
Progress in the rose garden....but getting impatient for blooms! Please note my prized hosus sprayfloralus in the foreground of the last pic. ;-)

o
Photos

Hi All! Love all the new photos.I'm packing up the computer later today.Will be webless til SAT.Don't have too much fun without me!Later.....

o

Vela~
I love the Dames Rocket! I've never seen it before. Very delicate flowers. If you haven't noticed, I love all purples! Do you have a whole garden of yellows?

Tell your little friend that my chipmunks say HI! They are coming up closer and closer to me everyday I'm out in the garden. Did you know they can bark? Mine sit on top of the rocks and make this really fast chirping noise! They do it for hours sometimes!
Tracy

o
lol!!

Yes, mine bark a me when I'm outside next to "their" tree. LOL! I like the dames rocket too....I was warned that it's invasive, but I'm going to try to keep my eye on it! No, I don't have an all yellow garden, though I have enough yellows to make one, don't I? LOL! Seems like all of my flowers are yellow or purple....I want to get some more reds and pinks going eventually. I like all the colors mixed together. Yummy!

o
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

*sniff*...we'll miss you dirt! Bye the way...I haven't received your address yet, I don't think. E-mail me directly at vkupfner@yahoo.com

o

Vela, I love that chipmunk!
I have been puzzled lately because the peanut treat in my suet feeder has been disappearing at an alarming rate. A lot of woodpeckers use it, but I have been replacing it almost every day. Well...yesterday I found out why:
I only have a handful of daylilies in my garden. I like this one called Strawberry Candy.
An Asiatic lily called Dot Com
I hope everyone is having a good week in the garden!

o
That's hilarious!

That is so cute! Just love how he's hanging upside down! LOVE the dot com lily!!

o

Hi All
Love all the new pics. Today I decided to make war on the little varmits eating your suet. They eat anything I put out for the birds. I had a trap in the attic, I loaded it up with peanut butter and was catching squirrels about every 10 minutes. I had a 40 gallon garbage can with the lid closed and was putting them in. As I was dumping the last for the day one of the little buggers scared me and I dropped the garbage can and lost them all but the one still in the cage...What a sight that was. buggers running in all directions and me jumping trying not to squish them. So tomorrow I have a plan..catch one and drive to woods and release and so on..
Here are a few pics from my garden today.

o
lol!!!!!!!!!!!

I can just see you hopping around with little squirrels running all around you! The flowers are beautiful! What are they?

o

Those blue flowers are just gorgeous!

Vela...your Wyoming is adorable! I can't wait for mine to bloom!

I just got my red spider lilies in the mail! I planted all of them...(sorry...I'm not sharing these.) I must have 20 of them from 2 different people. A fair trade for looking for them for 15 years.

Here's some plants today:
Birds of Paradise
Canna Primerose Yellow with Green Lizard
This is the Angel Trumpet bush that is going to be hacked to the ground.
Air Potato Vine

o

Hi guys! All the pictures of flowers are pretty and inspiring! Hopefully I will get my garden going soon...We're just starting out, so it's still pretty bare... about 2 acres of weeds at this point! :O)

o
Furf

I forgot to post my favorite bloom!

Friends...meet my princess....Furf

o
Hazelnutbunny!

Hazelnutbunny! Would you like to join us?

o
awwww

Awwww furffieeeeeeeeee......so cute!!!

Laurie, I'm totally jealous of your shopping sprees!

o
Furfie

Thanks!! We even call her Furfie!

You know....things are on sale big time here. I got that yellow canna for $3.00! It is almost 3 feet tall! That is the last one for me though. I have them all over the place. I have 4 that I still need to plant in the ground...after I dig up the angel trumpet.

I like a good bargain. (I am a BIG clearance shopper) I got these aluminum watering cans full of bulbs...it had 4 different kinds... Liatris, 6 bulbs, Trumpet Lilies, 3 bulbs, Gladiolus, 5 bulbs and peacock lilies, 16 bulbs...all for $4.00! I have plants everywhere! I need to work the garden in the front of the house and plant them.

I made sure to get extras to send to my partner. :o)

o
Hmmmmmmmmmm.....................

Maybe I'll be your send to partner again! LOL! Just kidding, I'll be nice and share the wealth by letting you send to someone else. :-) I need some sales like that where I live!

o
RE: Hmmmmmm.....

Maybe I can send you some when they multiply...which should not take too long. :o)

Anyway...I am going to bed. Will chat tomorrow...maybe. I have housework because Brian's mom is coming to spend the weekend with us. I hate housework!

Goodnight!!

o
Vela - Re: joining the RR

Hi Vela, and everyone else!
I have been trying to get a post on here for 2 days!

Vela, I sent you an email about joining the group, but, after thinking about it I think it might be best if I sit out till next year. It sounds like a blast, and I would love to do this, however, I am just getting started with gardening here at this house, and I don't have anything very exciting to trade yet. I would rather wait to join, than dissapoint my partner and not be let back in! lol

I have enjoyed looking through everyones pics here. I will have to post some as my garden "grows".

I just checked my spam mail yesterday and found 9 messages from people wanting to trade! I felt terrible! I have emailed them all and explained what happed, I guess this happens to quite a few people. But, I am working out what looks to be some very nice trades, so......next year I'll be ready!!!

So far, I have only been "gotten" by one person. But I only had sent some stamps for seeds. It's only been a couple weeks, so maybe they just haven't had time to send them? Or, they are just stamp collectors LOL.

Well, gotta go get ready for work, have a nice day everyone! Sorry so wordy!

Vicky

o
Hi Vicky!

Hi Vicky! I haven't seen the e-mail yet, but it may be sitting in my inbox. The minimum requirement for the swap is 5 plants/bulbs to send. If you have that, please join us. I appreciate you taking the trade seriously, and if you feel you would be better off to wait, then we understand. If you choose not to trade with us, we hope you will still hang out and get to know us, share pictures of things you have growing (or critters, or kids or...)

o

The 1st pic is of my new oriental columbine. Planted only a few days ago, the yellow is my Loosestrife, and the blue are some type of Dephinum called Blue Mirror. Those silly varmits are not taking me serious, LOL there is 5 out there now fighting over what they left yesterday. Its propbley the ones that got away laughing at me...Wereeeeeeeeeere Backkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk....
We'll see how much they laugh when I have them in the critter catcher...IT'S ON LITTLE BUDDIES....
I must be going insane...I have no life..LOL

o

Laurie--does the air potato vine bloom--I have never seen one of those before.Very Nice
Love your Furfie..so cute

Vela--How many do we have for the RR now.

Hazelnut-come join us.. this is great and a lot of fun.

o

Thank you, Vela & Chrys!! I would love to join ya'll! You guys make this all seem like so much fun....It'll be great to be part of such a happy group! :O)

o
question

The butterfly flower is amazing! How awesome that it really looks like a butterfly, my daughter would love that!!

I have a question about daylilies..... I think ya'll can tell me the answer!
I found some yellow day lilies in a park last weekend, but they were different than the ones I have seen before. I'm not sure what they're called... They were creamy yellow, very short, and the bloom was very substantial. I mean, it was HEAVY! It didn't necessarily have tons of petals, but it was a BIG bloom...just GORGEOUS! It wouldn't even fit in two hands (granted, my hands are small...but still!!)

And of course, since it was in the park...my husband wouldn't let me get the seeds or even a little start off of one...Something about "city property"...blah blah blah... LOL

He can be a party pooper sometimes. :O)

o

hazelnutbunny--I would go back to the park--NO HUBBY..lol I really don"t think tey would mind a few seeds.
Melanie

o

You're probably right, Melanie. I will do that. :O)
Does anyone know what type of day lily this is? I'd like to know the name of the flower I'm about to swipe. lol
It sorta looks like the fairy one in this thread...so that may be it. I wasn't aware that there were that many day lilies!!!

o

There are too many daylilys to list..LOL I am just finding that out for myself.

o

I've decided that I'd like to start a "dessert" themed garden..lots of chocolate colored and scented lowers and vines.

Does anyone think that a swap of that theme would be something we could do eventually?

o

Chrystal: Unfortunately the potato vine does not flower. It does have gorgeous leaves though. They are bigger than my hand. And it grows everywhere...it can take over if you are not careful. If you want, I can send you some bulbs...but I warn you...plant them away from your flowers, etc. If you are interested, let me know. I have plenty around here. (You might want to read up on them a little too)

Hazelnut: That dessert themed garden sounds neat! I am going for a fairy themed garden. I was going to do a love themed garden first...but I can not resist things that have to do with fairies.
I might even have some things that you would be interested in.

The fairy daylily that I posted on here is not big at all, and quite light. I would say that is not your lily. Maybe you can get a picture of it when you go to the park.

Ok...off to do housework. YUCK...with a capital YUCK!

o
Yay!!!

Welcome Hazelnut Bunny!!! Please send me your mailing address directly to vkupfner@yahoo.com
Don't use the link above, for some reason I'm not getting those (can't even find it in my bulk).

Vicky - If you have tried to e-mail me, I'm sorry I have not received it. Please use the e-mail above directly. Hope you decide to join us...by the way, my name is Vicki too, but obviously spelled differently :-)

Melanie - Right now we have 11 possibly 12 if Vicky decides to join us.

dirt
tracyvine
ctack
diene
chrystallake
laurie
poison
debbya
shady
vela
hbunny

o
What a bad hostess I am!!

Beth, I just now noticed your post above. Would you like to join us?

Also, anyone who has expressed interest is welcome, if I have forgotten anyone in the post above, please speak up and say "hey woman! you forgot me!"

o

Hello Vela;
Stop worrying. Beth will let you know if she wants in. Hazelnut (my favorite coffee flavor), I bought some chocolate dahlia's this year which I am really looking forward to blooming. Unfortunately they are not hardy in this part of the world and I have not been able to keep bulbs through the winter. So if you are in a climate where dahlias survive, I will send you some of those in the fall. Just remind me. diene

o

Hubby thinks the idea of a dessert garden is a little nuts..but then, he said it fits my personality. (gee, thanks....I think.) :O) I told him that if he messed with me about it, I wouldn't stick with just chocolate... I'd do Neapolitan. :O)

Diene-I would love some dahlias..I will have to see if they are hardy here, I haven't ever tried to grow them before. If they are, I hope I can remember to remind you in the fall. :O)

Thanks for making me feel so welcome here, girls!

o
No Problem!

"Thanks for making me feel so welcome here, girls!"

It's easy! You fit right in!

Diene - Stop worrying? LOL! You're talkin' to the wrong gal. HA! I worry about something 24/7. That IS something I inherited from my mother. Thanks Diene, you're the best!

o
RE: UPDATE: Goodmorning

Laurie, I do not want the potato I was just wondering. The leave are great, I just do not have any where for that one to grow. I have too many vining things ready to go on my fence now..Boy will hubby be mad when I have to remove all for the winder..yuck.. all thise tiny vines in metal fence.

Vela-Thats great hope we can get a few more. Has anyone heard from medon't..Maybe she got lost in those Colorado mountains snatching flowers...lol..You are like me I constantly worry about worrying. Wouldn't know what to do if I did not have something to worry about. LOL

Ladies--I need help on the critters--these squirrels are tearing up everything. Now they have eaten into my thistle bag.. I can't catch them fast enough..They are all young ones and are not afraid of anything..Just sit on the fence and shake their tails and chitter at me like i'm invading their space. HELP!!!!!!

o

Here are a couple of new pic's from my garden today. At least the critters did not get these..

Missouri Primrose.

My new Garden Angel

Astible

o

Good morning Girls!
I wanted to share this with you, it's a close up of one of my husband's Iris plants that he transplanted last year. He only had one bloom, except for this one....And he's trying to figure out what he did wrong here.....! :O)

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z319/hazelnutbunny/IM003856.jpg

o
Pictures

Okay..I think I am not understanding how to do this. I am trying to follow photobuckets directions for posting a picture in the forum, but I can't seem to do it...Can someone help me? I am very technically NOT inclined.

[IMG]http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z319/hazelnutbunny/IM003856.jpg[/IMG]

o
Pics from photobucket

Hazelnut, check the pic you want, go to bottom of the pg and click "generate HTML" On the very first box "HTML clickable thumbnails for Ebay, Livejournal, MySpace, etc. - recommended" Left click - it will highlight and say copied. Then in here right click and "paste"
The pic will not show up until you "preview" your msg.
Hope this helps! Vic

o
Re: Joining the exchange

Hi girls,
I know you said that I just needed to have 5 plants/bulbs to trade, which I do have that with no problem. But, my stuff is very "common" like purple coneflower, sweet william, black raspberries, some iris, stuff like that. I don't have named lilies or hostas, or anything exciting. I would not want to dissapoint my tradee! If you look at my trade list, you will see what I mean, LOL
Vicky

o

Welcome hazelnutbunny!
Vicky, this is a group of folks that will welcome whatever you send in the spirit of fun and without a lot of posturing to see who sends the latest, most expensive hybrid. If you have those things to send, that's great, but no one expects it all the time or they would not be in this group. I hope you will join us.
Melinda, I wish I could help with your squirrel problem but I am out of ideas. I have a love/hate relationship with the squirrels. I like to watch them and don't mind sharing with them, but they chew up my feeders and devour every seed they can get their hands on.
The only reason my problem is not out of control is my dog Happy who thinks it is her job to chase them. She does not keep a constant vigil under the feeders, but she hangs around enough to keep the damage down.
Here are some blooms from the butterfly garden today. These are all from seeds that people on Garden Web sent me this spring. Love it!
Persian Sun Zinnia
Calendula
Chrysanthumum flowered marigold, Lemon Mum
Annual Chrysanthumum

o

Thanks, Vic...here I am, trying it out. Let's see if it works! :O)

Whheeeeeeeeee!!!! It worked!!!

OK. NOW ya'll can see the weird thing that my hubby's iris did. NO STEM! :O)

o

Poisondart, well if thats the case, then please count me in!!!

Melinda, How about a slingshot????? LOL

Hazelnut, Good job! I think it looks kinda cool!

Vic

o
RE: UPDATE: Melanie

Hi everyone its Melanie, not Melinda but thats ok I know its me anyway...LOL

Welcome Vic glad you have decided to join us we are a funnnnnnnnnand silly group. And we will enjoy anything that is shared.

Poisondart-love your new pictures. You must have a great camera. or I just can't take pics.

Hazelnutbunny-thats the cutest iris i have ever seen...LOL-must be a minature...LOL

Check out this critter, he let me get all the way up to the feeder and he never ran. See they laugh at me..

Did everyone see they sent Paris Hilton back to jail today kicking and screaming. Im glad she is no different than anyone else.

o

• Posted by seraki Zone 9 (Phoenix) (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 8, 07 at 18:53

Hi ladies! This forum looks like so much fun! I am just new to gardening, we just bought our first home. I am just starting a plot of land for a nice big veggie garden. A friend of mine gave me a few packets of seeds, mostly squashes and beans to start with in the fall.

I've done a few flowers in the front, all Vincas, as they seem to be the only thing I can plant, and will not die in 100+ degree weather, and full-sun to boot.

So right now, I am just researching and learning as much as I can!

One thing I have found is that I totally love gardening! (I'm sure even more once I actually get to start planting more...)

o

Melanie I am so sorry! I mess up names all the time; just ask my kids. I started a gingko tree from seed a couple of years ago because it is supposed to help with memory and mental acuity, but now that it is growing well, I don't know how to use it. Chew the leaves? Boil the bark? I need to research that.
The squirrel photo is priceless! Have you thought about sending it to Birds and Blooms magazine? I would be shocked if they did not publish it.

o
re: update:

Thats ok on the name, usually I get called everything else but, so im pretty well used to it. Never heard of the magizine I will check it out.

Seraki--Yea, you found the best thread on the forem..lol we do have alot of fun and encourage everyone to join us. welcome and good luck on your new home.

o

That squirrel pic is so cute! I know what you mean about the "barking". I used to keep my dog on a chain when I let her outside. Those dang squirrels knew how far she could get and they would just sit there on the fence and bark at her...she would get so mad. Every once in a while I would let her off the chain...boy I have never seen a squirrel run so fast!

o

Chrystallake, LOVE that squirrel picture. He is so cute. I get to see lots of Squirrel pics when we do the squirrel swap in the winter. Yours goes in with the best of the bunch.
Vela, Diene is right about "not worrying" But I have to laugh because you are right too. Some of us are born with overactive worry genes.
I can now happily say though that they ,like everything else, slow down when you get old enough. I think it relates to not being able to remember what you were worrying about. LOL

o
Welcome!!

Yay! Glad you decided to join us Vic!!

Seraki - Are you joining us? I hope so! The minimum trade requirement is 5 plants or bulbs (of course you're welcome to send more). Hope you join us!

Melanie and Poison - Love those garden pics! Keep 'em coming!

OMG Hazelnutbunny that Iris photo is priceless! Laughed so Hard I thought I'd pee my pants! And if that wasn't enough, two posts down is Melanies squirrel pic....thought I was going to have to go to the hospital I was laughing so hard! Could he even get out of there? As far as how to keep them out of your bird feeders, the only thing I've heard of that works is just to feed the dang squirrels too. Get some squirrel food and hopefully they'll stay out of the bird food. I'm strange though, I would rather watch the squirrels than the birds anyway...so maybe I should get some bird feeders. LOL! Or, you could just send the little guys to my house. :-)

Beth - Hope you're right about the worry genes settling down! Looking forward to that! :-)

"well, I don't know how to use it. Chew the leaves? Boil the bark?" That tickled my funny bone too!

o
More Pics

Now, you all are going to have to tell me if all my flower pics are boring you to death. I just get excited over every little bloom, and of course no one here gets it. My mother-in-law enjoys my flowers when she comes over, but I think she's the only one who even notices they're there.

o
And more...

I think nasturtium is my favorite new annual...I'd never heard of this flower before and just grabbed some 25 cent seeds from the dollar store. I loved the foliage, and then when it started blooming, I liked the flowers too! This will definitely be on my list next year!

Coreopsis
begonia
smoke bush....diene, I took some seeds and will see if I can start one for you!
My little marigold babies I started from seed. I'm a proud momma. LOL!

o
Update

Before and now pics....once everything has some GREAT blooms, I'll take an "after" pic

o

Vela- I LOVE your day lily patch! I just gave away over 300 day lily bulbs on Freecycle about a few weeks ago. We had them coming out of our ears!! (that was before I knew about this site!) And hubby was getting tired of mowing around them (since they weren't in a bed) and threatened to take them out with the weed wacker.....

-sigh- now I only have 2 little mounds left...and they decided to rebel and not bloom as much this year. I'd like to get some red ones eventually...they're so pretty. :O)

So..here is the first bloom on our Southern Magnolia tree. When the wind picks up..it smells SOOOOOOOOOOOOO good! :O) Though..I don't know why the leaves are turning yellow and brown..maybe has to do with the soil? Anyone know?

And this is a bush..I don't know the real name, my mother in law has always called it a Dogwood bush, because the flowers look like a dogwood flower.

But keep in mind that I CUT THIS TO THE GROUND last fall. And now it's over 12 feet tall!!!!!!!!! It towers over our root cellar, the little thing back behind the bush.
And the whole green thing in the picture is ONE bush!!

Closeup of flowers

Yep, love all the pictures of the flowers, girls! I'm so happy to finally be in a group that loves flowers as much as I do! My hubby gets tired of coming home each day to hear me say "Wanna see what the (fill in the flower name) did today??" And then I lead him around the yard by the hand..showing him EVERY little thing...Even the weeds..."Look honey, the rose bloomed out sooo pretty today, and look at the honeysuckle, it is growing so fast, and the wisteria..see, I TOLD you it would survive the freeze..and..Oh, I dont' know what this little guy here is, but BOY isn't that cute??"

Lol. So it goes.

o

hazelnutbunny,
Your "dogwood" looks like a mock orange to me. The genus is Philadelphus, but there are a few different species available as well as a wild form. That one kind of looks like the native. The blossoms are very fragrant.

o
oops!!!

OOPS! Just realized I called my geranium a begonia...must have had a brain fart. LOL!

Hazelnutbunny - That's a lot of growth! Wow! Came back with a vengence, I'd say.

o

Well, that's the thing..the flowers don't have any fragrance at all! They're pretty, but no smell. They usually cover the entire bush, thickly, but this year we had that freeze at easter time that took out several of my bushes and roses, so it's only got a few flowers on it.
Oh, well...whatever it is..it is taking over. I have babies all over the place, too.
(oh, and my hubby corrected me...it's actually about 17 feet tall. Not 12. My bad. Size matters to the guys, apparently.) :O)

o
Unknown flower

Sorry for posting yet ANOTHER question here..but maybe someone can help me before my hubby and I come to blows. (ok, it's not quite THAT bad yet, but getting there. lol)

We have this flower growing wild and we have no idea what it is. He's saying an impatien of some sort, I say...nope. I know the picture is blurry, but maybe it will be enough to give an idea?
It's low growing, maybe 12-15 inches at most and has a thick stalk..the leaves have a rough feel on the underside, and the flowers are very delicate, and fall right off when you touch them. And I don't know if this will help, but the base of the plant stem is purple, and it's also purple where the leaf nodes are.
Purple is the only color it's bloomed in.

Any ideas?

o

Hazelnot-I have no idea what the flower is, but its pretty. and your Magnolia is great. My sister has one and I go sniff it everytime I go by her house. LOL

I love all the photos keep them coming girls.

I do feed the squirrels to as a matter of fact that is his feeder he is inside of. They are piggies. The lid goes up and down and they all take turns getting inside where the mother birds can't get at them because all the houses have babies now. It's really funny to watch. They peck the heck out of those critters.

I collected alot of different seeds from my garden today.
Hope to get more tomorrow.

o
Maybe?

Wild four o clock, maybe?

Here is a link that might be useful: wild four o clock

o
RE: UPDATE: stella de oreo daylily

Good morning
Here are my 1st bloomsof the morning.
Stella DeOreo Daylily
Goatsbeard
Gruppenblau Sage (just beginning to bloom)
Blue dune grass
Hope you enjoy the photo's.Im off to clean and do laundry today.
Melanie

o

Hazelnut, try posting that pic on the "name that plant"
forum, they gave me lots and lots and lots of names for plants I have growing wild.

Vela, I was reading the posts on here quickly at work and didn't notice you wanted me to email you again. I will today.

Everyone enjoy your day! It's very, very nice here in MI today so I'm on my way outside!!

Vicky

o

Vela your house is very pretty, I love the red brick homes.My 1st was like that. It looks huge.

o

Chrys- That sage...wow, that's pretty! I love blue flowers! It always amazes me, the variety in nature.
I was looking through a plant encyclopedia last night (trying to find that flower! lol) and all the plants in other countries that look so exotic to me....It's very fascinating, really. Like tropical birds! All the different colors, they almost look fake! :O)
Every time I go to someone's garden, I'm like a kid, discovering things for the first time....Flowers are so awesome!!

o

When you get tired of the nature photos just say the word. These were my animal encounters in the garden this morning:

Every time I water this hanging basket a little bird flys out...

Ctack2 sent me the white caladium bulbs in our last swap.
The first bloom on the tropical water lily this year.

o

Hazelnut--you are right I too go first to everyones garden hoping I can snag a piece or two.

Poisondart--Keep the nature coming, they are as good as flowers. We don't have so much around here anymore since all the building going on here. Its a shsme. I used to have groundhogs and babies every year for maybe 8 years now I don't know where they have gone. Havn't seen them in almost 2 years. We used to have alot of fox also around here and now the only time I get to see them is when someone runs over one. Thats why we bought this house when we did we were told no one could build around us it was all state owned land. They sold it all off.

o

Good Evening Everyone;
I am back from a trip to Vermont. Stopped at Ben and Jerry's and had a Pfish Food cone, boy was that good. They had some nice lupine growing in their yard. There were lots of flocks and lupine all along the highway up there. Vermont is such a pretty state.
When I returned home, my poppies had started to open, they are gorgeous. I took some pictures and tomorrow when I am not so tired I will try to post some of them.
Hazelnut, I think maybe you planted that siberian iris a bit too deep. I may not have flowered at all except for the mulch. Iris should barely be below the surface of the ground. I have had some of the best blooms from rhizones that you could actually see. I have some beautiful ones in bloom now, I will try to post those picture tomorrow also.
This group is growing and getting better all the time. Vela you are doing a great job with the hostessing, and the dialogue is so much fun. Hello to all the newcomers, I am once again too tired to try to get the names correct. I will visit in the morning. Have a great night.
diene

o

Diene- Glad you're back safe and sound. Any trip with a Ben & Jerry's stop HAS to be a great one!! :O)
Well, my hubby is the one that planted the iris, so he's to blame. I believe they're at the right depth, though (the bulbs are showing through the dirt).... I think it has more to do with the fact that we had an unexpected killing freeze back in April, after all the flowers had started making buds...it wiped out everything here, my rose had hundreds of buds on it..and it took it out to the ground. I was soooo upset. :O( Whatcha gonna do, though...Mother nature is like that.
So we only had one other Iris that actually made it through and bloomed, the others died back. So in a way, probably you're right...the mulch is the only thing that saved them.

And I hate that..cuz Iris's are one of my favorites! I was looking forward to them this year...

I believe that we've identified that purple flower...It's a wild petunia. One web site actually says it's rare, and is trying to sell it for $47!!! Can you believe that?? Geeze....so... my hubby just pulled up like $500 worth!! lol :O)

Thanks for all the help, girls! I appreciate it! :O)

o
RE: UPDATE: Diene

Welcome back, hope your trip was a nice one. I am waiting for the pics to see tomorrow.
Can't talk much now, my youngest grandson visiting me for a week. Have to go check on him will send pics later.
Melanie

o

We had visitors in our yard the other morning, 3 Doe (only 2 in the picture).
My son says he saw a big buck too, but didn't get a picture of him.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o
I'm Back

Hi everyone! I love all of the new pictures! I've been very busy cooking for a bridal shower that was sunday. I'm exhausted. Cooked all day saturday. Ran my butt off sunday. Now I have a mountain of laundry again in the basement calling my name! Ugh! Does anyone like doing laundry? You can have mine!

Hazelnutbunny: That rare wild petunia was beautiful! Pulled $500 worth? Eeek!

Melanie: OMG I was dying at the squirrel escapades! you should film them and send a tape into Americas funniest home videos! Love the picture of the little stinker in the feeder! laughed my butt off!

Celebrations are in order! The hubby brought home the excavator and cleared the area for the new shade garden! Pictures will be coming soon. Lots of dirt! I have to go to the city for humus. They are selling 1 yard for $10.00, we're bringing the dumptruck! Load her Up! Yay!

The lavender is blooming, my daylilies are almost blooming, the coneflower is getting tall. I am itching for new blooms and can't wait!

Poison: I just love your tropical water lily and your persian zinnia! Gorgeous! Don't you dare stop posting your wildlife pictures. They are fantastic! Where do you live that you have such rich flora/fauna?

Vela: Keep those flower pics coming! Helps satisfy my craving for new blooms! If mine aren't popping I love looking at everyone else's! I like the nasturtium. Very pretty leaves and blooms!

Diene: I'm jealous, I've always wanted to visit Vermont. I bet it was absolutely beautiful. I've seen so many great pictures.

o

I love all the flowers you all post! Hopefull soon enough I'll have some of my own to post!

Vela - I would love to join. :-) I sent you a message with a few of my noobie questions.

o
Hello!

Welcome Seraki! I didn't receive your e-mail. For some reason I cannot receive messages through the link above. Please e-mail me directly at vkupfner@yahoo.com (sorry!)

Hi everyone! Don't have much time to post today! I'll catch you later!

o

Hi everyone I have been busy with the grandson all day.He got here early this morning and we have not stopped all day. Taking him to the pop-corn zoo tomorrow. That is a zoo that takes all old and hurt animals, nurses them back to health and we can all go for free and walk and look. Hehehehe, maybeeeeeeeeeI can snag a few blooms, of something I do not have. LOL Don't mind the mess in the room or the walls without molding that is my last renovation room. And messy.

Here's a pic after bath with my other favorite bloom sylvie

o

Hello All;
I still have not figured out how to get the pictures here but I did provide a link to my poppy that bloomed yesterday. It should show you everything I have uploaded I think but if not I will try the instructions again or the link to the instructions. I am very tired so I will say 'Good Night'. diene

o

Good Morning;
Let me try this again. diene

Here is a link that might be useful: poppy

o

That's a beautiful picture of your grandson and Sylvie! They look like great pals.
I love poppies Diene, especially the Orientals. That one looks great! I have some P. somniferium blooming now that looks really pretty. I'll get some pictures sometime this week.
I am getting excited about what I will send in our swap. When I walk around the garden I see a lot of things that should hold up well even this late.
For those of you that have recently joined, if you have not created any listings on your exchange page it would be helpful to your trade partner if you put your plant wants there. That person may have something you would really like to have, but choose a different plant to send because they don't know that you are looking for it.
Have a great day!

o
Howdy All!!

Hi All. Taking a small break from unpacking now.Fianlly found the one with the computer in it.LOL! Loving all the animal & flower photos!Will post some more once I make more progress on boxes. My Mother-in-law is visiting from MI. She is a big help.She keeps the older two kids occupied while I get things done.The baby is slowly warming up to her. She is leaving Thursday morning.So I got to hurry & finish. Later.....

o
Helllooooo!!

Ok...where is everyone?

Love all the new pics!

o

Hello Vela;
I am here, life has become a challenge but I am ready for this swap. DH was late coming home from work last night and I was annoyed because we had a project to finish. He finally called with the excuse of a plane accident. Fortunately, no one was injured, he was a bit shaken up. Amazingly, he came home had dinner and we finished the project that needed to be done. It is funny how we worry about little things and then something like this happens. He says he is sore today but refused to take the day off. He does fly for a living and will be back up in a plane again today. I figure he is disaster proofed for a while now.
On another note, I discovered some rust on some of my irises which is unusual for this part of the world. I did receive some in a trade last fall and I am assuming that is where the rust came from. I have sprayed them and will keep an eye on them. If the rust starts to spread to my daylilies, those irises are toast. Keep your fingers crossed. diene

o

Oh Diene! That is scary. I am glad he is okay.
Everyone must be busy in their gardens. I have been working on my daughter's wedding and reception plans. We finally got everything planned but I am going to have to go big time shopping this weekend. Where did the time go? We had 6 months to plan and now that we are down to 3 weeks it feels like we are just getting started. We booked the honeymoon yesterday. They are going to Charleston, S.C. to soak up some history, which they both enjoy. Olivia (daughter) is already planning what to wear when she has a photo of herself taken coming down the staircase at "Tara".
I did get some photo's in the garden yesterday. I usually do close ups of my favorite flowers but I tried to get a few of the garden areas this time. Here are a few of them:
Papaver somniferum
The pink, white and blue garden

My secret garden

The front garden

Garden off the back deck

The picture quality is poor because the light was going last night by the time I decided to stop taking pictures of the gardens and get a few of them, but this is my daughter Olivia and her chosen mate, James.
As you guys are probably figuring out, I can't grow grass. The only place it seems to do okay is down at the bottom of the hill at the bottom of the driveway.

o

Hello everyone,
I have been busy with the grandson this week so I have not been on too much. The new pic are great. Congrats to Olivia. Kool she is going to Tara.

Im ready for the swap just waiting. I don't have any new pic of the gardens but will soon
Melanie

o

Hi everyone! It's been too humid here for much of anything! The flowers are even taking a break...all my roses have finished blooming and are starting new buds. Can't wait for the second round!

This one is my baby...when we bought the house 2 years ago, they had planted it along the driveway, and it had one cane...which they kept running over because they wouldn't trim it or stake it. >:) So I trimmed it back, and last year, it did better, but this year it's over 12 ft tall!

And this one is just for fun...I couldn't resist putting in a picture of my kids. :O) This was a photo shoot we did at our TV station awhile back. It was about 100 degrees...everyone was melting.

o
Garden pics

My Magnolia blossom opened! Yay! Except now the dang japanese beetles are out and eating on 'em....! Grrr....

And I have ONE apple on my apple tree. That freeze we had back in April took out nearly all the fruits around here, so many orchards and blueberry farms have signs out now telling everyone there aren't any to harvest...Very disappointing.

o
Planning!

Hey everyone! I sent some e-mails out to some people who haven't posted in a while to make sure they are still interested. I hope to get the partners listed tomorrow. Hopefully will hear from those people!

o

IHazelnutbunny--hope ya got a blowup of the pic with the kids, that's a beautiful family there.

Your rose bush is now happy I think.

Grandson leaving and going back to NC tomorrow. Im sad today. I will miss him very much. Him and Sylie are the best of buddies.

o
Registration is now closed for this robin

Hi! If you are just finding this forum, we are now finished registering new people for this robin, but please let me know if you are interested in the next one by emailing vkupfner@yaho.com and I will pass your name on to the next host. We plan to keep these going continually so newbies will always have a place to land.

o
Trade list yipppeeeee!!!

Well, it is the 15th and I have the trade list! I will be e-mailing you your partners mailing addresses as soon as I get this typed up. Please send your box out within the next 10 days.

Shadymeadow will send to Laurieanngarris
Chrystallake will send to Shadymeadow
Laurieanngarris will send to Dirt_under_my_nails
Dirt_under_my_nails will send to Chrystallake
Vela75 will send to Tracyvine
Debbya will send to Vela75
Medontdo will send to Debbya
Tracyvine will send to Medontdo
Poisondartfrog will send to Ctack2
Ctack2 will send to Diene
Diene will send to Poisondartfrog

I think I have everyone sending once and receiving once...if I goofed up or missed anyone, let me know!
Wait until atleast Monday to mail out your packages, just incase I've goofed something up and have to make a change. You should not be sending to or receiving from someone you traded with in the last "Make new friends robin"....because, of course, you want to make a NEW friend!! Have fun everyone!!!

o
arghhhhhhhh!!!!!

Forget that list...I already realized I left people out!!

DUH!!!

o
Hazelnutbunny

Hi! I still need your address, Hazelnutbunny...if you have sent it already, I apologize. Please send to vkupfner@yahoo.com

Vic and Seraki, I apologize for leaving you off the list, I hadn't moved your addresses over to my swap file yet in my mail box.

o
New List!!!

I think I have it right this time! I am so sorry.

Shady sends to Laurie
Laurie sends to Seraki
Seraki sends to Shadymeadow
Hazelnutbunny sends to dirt
dirt sends to chrystallake
chrystallake sends to hazelnutbunny
vela sends to tracyvine
tracyvine sends to ctack
ctack sends to diene
Diene sends to poisondartfrog
poisondartfrog sends to Vela
Medontdo sends to debbya
debbya sends to Vic
Vic sends to Medontdo

o

Yippy Skippy! This is the fun part!
Okay Miss Vela; I would love to know if you are working to build a collection of anything or if there are any preferences I can consider when I choose your plants.

o
RE: UPDATE: Hazelnutbunny...My Buddy

Give me hint as too what you like, so I may have some idea of what I am sending..Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeethis is going to be soooo much fun. Can't wait to start digging. And I also bought some new bulbs today for my new buddy.
Hehehehe
Melanie

o

Seraki...

What grows in Arizona?

Laurie

o

Hello Poison;
I am going to enjoy figuring out what to send you. I looked on your list and I know I have Fairy Tale Pink Daylilies but they are not in bloom yet so I cannot find them. I have several weigela's, have to see if I can get a baby from them. I can find something for you. This will be fun. diene

o
The fun part! The Fun Part!!!

Hey Poison! I am so easy to please!! I'll be happy with whatever you send :-) If you really prefer hints, I like things that flower all summer long, things that have really pretty or different looking flowers, and things that come back year after year and multiply.

Tracy - Hey there girl! What kind of things are your looking for? See anything in my pictures you want a clump of? :-)

o
Whatcha want girl?

Ok, Diene, fess up on what you want! I went to look at your lists and what did I find? NOTHING. lol.
I have a couple ideas - no I won't share them with you yet - from reading some of your past posts, but now I want to hear it from you to me.

This is going to be so much fun - again!

Carol B

o
Momma Laurie - I found your butterfly plant

When you posted the butterfly 'bush' 'plant' I knew I had seen it somewhere before. It was described as looking like a field of butterflies when it was in bloom.
Here is a link to the name of it and more pics. I'm pretty sure this is what you have.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/7214/

Well, it might not be a clickable link, but you know what I mean. lol.

Carol B

o
not to late am i???? LOL

Hi debbya, so what are ya interested in? guy's, the photo's are so awesome, i had to do a fast scroll, i had like a dozen seeds to get out, one of them i think was the vicky, my hubby said it was all too confusing, LOL i put it all in the envelopes and labeled everything for him, all he had to do was send them out when their envi's came in. men!!! LOL gotta love em!! what would he do without me??? LOL hi mel and melissa!! sure missed everyone!! but i must say, the west coast is sure beautifull!! i didnot want to come home! LOL got slapped in the face with humididty and mosquito's when we crossed the ks border and then remembered why i can be so grumpy! LOL :')) just kidding!! i took many pics of the wedding and the scenery up and back there and oh my them mountains.

o
Ready to trade

Vela! I am very excited. can't wait to start digging! As far as what I am looking for... hmmm. I am nearly finished preparing the shade garden so anything you think will do well in part to full shade would be fantastic. I have plenty of sunny spots too. I love color! Purples are my favorite. Anything you send will be great. Thank you!

Poison: Your gardens are stunning! I love the way you have them planted. I am gradually trying to accomplish similar gardens here. Who needs grass! Flowers are better.

Laugh of the day: My 5 year old was in the back yard with the hubby and I today. He walks up to me and says "Mom, I just saw a little black poop running around in the grass." I turn around and start looking to see what he was talking about and see little blades of grass wiggling around in these small zigzags. It's a mole! I was cracking up! Sure enough it is dark brown with a shiney coat and shaped like a poo! Loved it!

Ctack: Do you have any special desires? Take a peak at my trade list to see if anything looks good! I'm looking forward to sending to you! I hope you like everything!

o
Tracy and others......

Tracy,
Anything you feel you want to share is great with me. One thing that is SUPER - we're in the same zone. I can't think of anything that I don't want except iris's. My yard is mostly full sun. The back of the house gets morning to late-afternoon full sun. The front of the house gets mid-day to sunset full sun. The side yard is full sun except right up against the garage, which is shady until late afternoon, and for right now, I have plans to put rhubarb in there and don't know what, if anything, else. That is where my bleeding heart is, and I'm afraid to do anything with it because it does so well there.
My dad and his wife are selling their house and....well, here is what I posted to the iris site yesterday.....My dad and his wife are selling their house. They have a 2 1/2 car garage that is bordered on one side and all across the back with iris's. They asked me if I wanted any of them since they were selling and I told them that I did. I went over there last week, and they have cut down ALL the foliage! They are so thick, the ground looks like braided tree roots. I told her they shouldn't have cut the leaves off until they died down because they feel the plant for blooms next year. She said "Oh, they'll come back! I do this every year." Whether she does or not, I don't know, but do you all think they are worth digging up? I bet there is enough there to fill up a 55 gallon drum or two, but I don't want to go to all the work of digging, cleaning, planting and then not get anything from them.
The blooms had died down, and since I wasn't over there right before they cut them, I don't know what the foliage looked like, but I'm sure it wasn't all died down, just maybe a little ragged looking.
If I do dig them, what should I do before planting them? I'm in Middle Tennessee, and we're in the 90's now so is it too hot to replant? I don't have a cool place to store them except maybe in the house somewhere because the garage is hot and they would fill a fridge if I had an extra one. What should I do?

So, as you can see, I have no need for iris's. lol
Deine???? Want some of these?

Can anyone tell me how to divide my bleeding heart? Or propogate starts from it? Someone told me to look for bean looking pods after it flowers, but I can't find any. Now, it was turned to mush after that late frost we got, and it flowered after that, but I can't find any seed pods. Maybe they won't be there until next year because of the frost? What about rooting? Can you do that with a bleeding heart? Or dividing? I just have NO idea. I might just have to wait until next year and look for the pods after first flowering.

Anyway - Tracy - just have fun and share what you like to grow. I'm easily pleased. It's just fun to share.

Have a great day all
Carol B

o

Diene, I will love whatever you send. As you can see from the photos, my gardening tastes are eclectic to say the least. Eccentric might be a better word. My trade list is far from comprehensive so please don't feel limited to that. Anything will be welcome!
Ctack2, it's good to see you post. It sounds like your gardens are coming along. The iris should be okay to move even though they lost their leaves, but they may not bloom next year. Even when allowed to develop properly they sometimes need a year to recover from a move. If they are beautiful I would go for it. This time of year they would be hard to store outdoors without risking rot. You could try washing them thoroughly, dusting with sulfur and putting somewhere cool and dry, but if you can let them cure for a day or two and then replant right away it would probably be better.
Medo, glad to have you back. It's been pretty quiet around here. It sounds as though you really enjoyed your trip.
Tracyvine, love the mole story! Kids are so funny.
Vela, I am going to walk the gardens this weekend looking for rebloomers and plants with persistent blooms for your box. I have a few ideas already.
Have a great weekend everyone.

o
RE: UPDATE: Calling Hazelnut bunny

Where are you...need some ideas...

Medon't welcome back..
Good morning everyone..
My boat is finally in the water and will be fishing off the coast tomorrow morning.I'll try to get some pics.
Melanie

o

Sorry!! I've been off the computer for a day or so...Whew! I'm back now. :O)

Ok...I'm super easy to please. And my garden is just getting started, so I can almost guarantee that I won't already have something you send. Unless it's orange daylilies. Please, none of those. My hubby would shoot me. :O)

I need some dirt on DIRT, please!! :O) What would you like? Any ideas would be welcomed, I'm a first timer, after all!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Melissa

o
dirt on Dirt & ideas needed from Melanie

Not very picky here! Just moved to 4 acres most of it is in the sun.So I would rather have sun lovers,but if you have shadseekers I could put them next to house. Will be happy with anything.Even those dreaded orange daylilies everyone hates.LOL!See EASY.I'm a first timer also!

Now Melanie,I could use some ideas.I have a few things already, but extra help would be nice.Don't forget your sunscreen,hat,or sunglasses while on the boat. Have fun fishing!Later....

o

I also am easy to please, love anything, and would find a place for it. I love blues and purples, pinks and white and reds. Maybe yellow's, orange, green, LOL I like all ...

Im a newbie also this is my first robin.
later

o

thanks vela!! i gotta let it cool a little, alotta work to do, men do not clean, no offense. mel!!!! i did not know that! i was only looking for blues and purples!! hmmmm, :'( but i'm so glad that i love to pick "flowers" !!! LOL anyone know anything about debbya's likes other than her want list? that's alot to read!! i have so much to do, so this is my "break" LOL oh mel, maybe you can trade me some sea shells, i couldn't bring any home from cali. you actually get into trouble i hear. and if you bring driftwood home. that's nuts!! they oughtta let people with as much as they have on the beaches, then i coulda brought a whole lot of em home, LOL
i'm easy to please too!! i like anything that looks like bells, tropical, fragrant, pinks, blues, purples, reds, and the list goes on, LOL i really like doubles and unique things, and especially whats not mine, i just learned that!! LOL :') oh ya and if it's edible and attracts butterflys or birds. i sure did miss this!!!

o
Carol!

I am very glad to hear you have so much sun! That is the bulk of what I have to share! Wheee! I have lots of good plants that I think you will enjoy. Poison had great advice on the iris. I have divided and transplanted iris from house to house and left them in buckets in 90+ heat for days on end just adding a bit of water to them as needed until I could plant. They held up surprisingly well. THough I have never chopped all of the foliage off. Are your iris the ones with the large fans or the thin grass like leaves? The fans are a bit sturdier than the grassy ones but both divide well.

Looking forward to sending your plants. I will label the plants and list the planting area they like best. I will post after everything is dug and mailed. I'm hoping to have it out to you by Tuesday at the latest!

Medon't! Welcome home! I hope you had tons of fun! I can't believe you didn't stuff sea shells down your bathing suit! Maybe a couple of conch shells???? You could have looked like madonna! LOL!

Melanie: I hope you had fun out on the boat. That sounds like a blast. I haven't gone out on one in years. I Hope you caught some whoppers out there! I bet you miss your grandson terribly. Hard to watch them go home. Would you like to borrow some of my monkeys??? LOL I have some in every age group! Take your pick.

o
Tracy and Deine and Sandy too

Tracy. I can't wait to see what goodies you have in store for me! Tuesday mailing would be good because it's hot here and I'll be off work Thursday-Sunday next week - so will be here when they arrive. Sandy sent me some raspberries (yum yum I love berries!) and I had a fall at work and luckily had to come home and shower and change - I fell on a milkshake, a peach tea and a banana split - and they had been delivered probably within the hour before I got home. When I opened the box, you could feel the heat coming out of it!

I'll have to look up iris's to see what leafs you are talking about, but if my memory is correct, they are the wider leaves. But no matter, they have to be dug up this year if anyone in the family is going to get them because they have a prospective buyer for the house so probably won't be there next year.

Deine - I hope you don't mind waiting a little longer for your box because I go back to work tomorrow and work 12 hour shifts. Won't do anything until my off days.

Sandy - the raspberries are doing great. When I put them in the ground, they looked a little pitiful, but I divided them into 3 plantings, and 2 of them have survived and have new leaf growth! WOOHOO! I'm sure they'll be fine by the time winter gets here and will make a big leap for me next spring....yummy. I planted them in the back of my garden spot because even if I move my garden next year, that's where I'd want a berry patch anyway.

Have a great day everyone.
Carol B

o
Everyone should be set to go

Hi everyone! I now have everyone's addresses and have sent everyone their send to partner's address....please let me know if you didn't receive yours so I can get it to you. Thanks!!

o

Hi All!
I am still around! Haven't had time to check in. I had a terrible ordeal with about 12 trade requests/answers to my requests went to my spam folder! Wow, did that make for a busy week when I caught up with all of them, I think I dug about 60 - 75 black rasp. plants to send, among other things. But, I've pulled all the thorns out of my fingers and am ready to dig some more lol.

Medo, I'm glad to see your not too picky! As far as "unique" hmmmmmm........ I might have to go dig something out of my neighbors yard lol!

Now.....I am a little confused at how this works as far as when to send. Do we all send at once, or does this go down the list one at a time? I don't want to steal my neighbors plants too soon and have them die before they get to Medo!

I've got this week off!!!! Daycare is closed and I have no sitter so I was Forced to take a week off to stay home and try to get some flower beds ready! I'll have to post some before and after pics so everyone can see just what a mess I am starting with.

Gotta go,
Vic

o
Hi Vic!

Hi Vic! You can send it as soon as you can. I've asked everyone to try to send theirs within 10 days, so sending sometime this week would be good, or if you need another weekend to have time to dig, the following week works too. Be sure to post on the forum when you send and receive your box, and let everyone know what you got!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here