Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamabirrd

UPDATE: 8300! Traveling Daylilies

mamabirrd
17 years ago

This round robin is an extention of a wonderful group of talented , generous and spirited traders, the Traveling Daylilies, who when at all possible trade daylilies. The way into this group is to have traded with at least one of us and to be recommended for membership by one of more members of the group. We are not snobs, we just want to protect each other and you from any game traders... should there be any. If you know any of us, email privately and they will be allowed to get you in on their recommendation. We'd love to have you!

Hope everyone had fun on their Vacations! Deni, thank you for hosting. I can't wait 'till next year.

Cody will be hosting the July swap, and it looks like we'll all be smiling. : )

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

Comments (100)

• marybz5ny
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi everyone,
    Just have a minute to check in and say hi.

Shirley, what? Now you're gonna start with the Japenese? You are such an enabler! Love them. Oh and that Dawson - what a gorgeous boy! Talk about wanting to smooch cheeks. Thanks for checking on the "Mr. Man' for me - I can wait till next year if it's not big enough yet - just keep me in mind please.

Marea, your hosta looks like Frances Williams to me. An oldie but a goodie. Still one of my favorites. Mine is HUGE this year. Love your "Circus World'.

Barb, what a cute pooch!

Dawn, hope you follow through and see the doc tomorrow. You really shouldn't let that poison ivy go on any longer. Now Nancy has gotten me worried about you. I didn't realize that it could get into your lungs.

Jo, love your new garden. I'll say it one more time - I have never in my life seen anyone that works as hard as you do. Glad you're making hubby take it easy. Oh, and you are most welcome for the hosta box sent! Glad I could do it for you!

Better go get some things done before bed.
    MaryB

• cody_mi
    17 years ago

anita
    save me a fan of playing with sharks!!!

• toomanyanimals
    17 years ago

Well Ladies! I miss one weekend of this forum and I have to take PAGES of notes to catch up!!!

In no particular order:

Anita: Let me know about that possible trade. I'd like to put my hostas into the garden the middle of July. Baby David is sooooo cute!! He is growing like a weed (we love this weed though). Some of your Iris are wonderful! And look at all that land, big gardens and I love the path in one of the pics. Have to say 'WOW' on the Maryott bonuses too.

Barb: I find racoons scary ... and Rotweiler's even more scarier (is that a word?). We had a black lab when I was a teenager who thought he was a rotweiler when it came to racoons and groundhogs. Not a one to be found on my Dads 10 acres! Marie is the cutest towhead!!! Who has the blond hair? Question on the Rex's. Do you plant yours in part or full shade? I have mine in part shade/morning sun and it still has burn marks.

The Poison Ivy Women: Angie, Dawn, Ellen: I have two words for you ... Cortisol shot!!!!

Karen: You got my glider ... I've been looking for one for the cottage for 2 years. You got a fantastic deal!!! Happy Birthday to Ryan, 10 years, what a wonderful age to be! It must have been heartwarming to hear him say that about your 'outside room'. Direct your Honeysuckle question to Cody, he is our resident Horticulturist.

Gloria, I'm so glad your surgery is done, now you can start the real mending.

MaryB: What a great box you got from Sherri! So imaginative. I want to go to Candy Land too!

Cindy O: Thanks for remembering the Boo Iris. It really is a cute one.

Jo: Your new garden pictures really tell a story. Whew, lots of work, but worth it in the end! Glad hubby is doing well. You are doing a great job of keeping him well. 8:30 bedtime ... sounds right to me! (I'm up at 4/4:30 for my job).

Shirley: STOP IT!!! All the Japanese iris pictures ... I want one of everyone you have posted ... but alas, I have no room for them on my suburban landscape.
    Dawson is such an active cutie! I love his pool. They have the cutest things for kids now.

Lisa: Off for the summer ... Great! ... but for medical reasons, that isn't so great. Hope you still are able to enjoy the summer though.

Diane: The son has one more exam today. Then my schooling is done for the summer!

Marea: Circus World is a cutie ... reminds me of the Las Vegas Hotel. Sorry, don't know the name of the hosta since I'm a hosta-newbie, but it is beautiful.

Dawn: Let us know how the Dr's appoint goes.
    Wow! Boom Sprayer on the Mower! Your reminding me of 'Tim Taylor the Toolman' UG, UG, UG

Cody: No swap for me this month, but just wanted to thank you for hosting them.

Ok, which one of you guys dropped peonies seeds into my garden?? I couldn't figure out what these plants were, but knew they didn't look like weeds. I just saw them at a garage sale and Bingo! I now know I have Peonise growing in the middle of my garden!!!!!! I'm not a peonies fan, but will grow them till they bloom, then give them away.

I found a Black and Blue Salvia plant at a local nursury. I know it won't survive my winter. Anyone else in a colder zone grow it and overwinter it? How do you do it?

Hubby has a rash again on his face. He's almost certain he is getting it from golfing ... picking up the ball and then touching his face. Kind of scary ... you hear of people dieing from that kind of repeated exposure.

My climbing Rose - New Dawn - has finally bloomed. A very pretty peach pink. But not the perfume scent I had hoped for. It is my only rose so I'm excited about it. Jo, thanks for the Banana information. I really think that helped ... it really took off after I planted the banana. LOL

I have several pictures to post, but I don't want to lose this Long post, so I will post them next.

sharon/tma

• juspeachy
    17 years ago

CODY!!!!
    YOU MISSED ME, I SIGNED UP FOR THIS SWAP, IT IS IN ONE OF MY POSTS ABOVE!! THANKS

Morning all,
    just stopped by real quick before I go out to play in the dirt.

BBL,
    hugs to all,
    Jo

• toomanyanimals
    17 years ago

Ida Belle deBoer

Sink Into Your Eyes - not as purple as the sellers picture.

I'm already dabbing pollen.

sharon/tma

• pchanggeo
    17 years ago

CODY... YOU MISSED ME TOO... PLEASE SIGN ME UP!

Shirley, those irises are beautiful as always. I think we need to do a trade soon as my iris corner has only one thing growing... not sure what happened to the ones you sent me earlier this year... they're in there, but nothing poking through at the moment.

Marea, that circus world is beautiful also. Wow-wee.

Love all the baby and pet photos.

Hope everyone has a wonderful week.
    Paul

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    17 years ago

WARNING: LOOOONG post ahead.........

Well folks, get ready for one of mamabirrd's novels. You can blame the length of this post on Marea and Deni, LOL.

I'll start by listing all the wonderful things I received from Marea in the Hosta Shuffle:

I opened my box to find the most precious sign that says "Welcome Angels and Birds". Now isn't that just perfect?? You know that will get a special place at my new home. Love it!

She also wowed me with an extremely generous garden full of Hosta:

'Royal Standard'
    'Wolverine'
    'Swan Lake' yahoo
    'American Halo'
    'Wide Brim'
    'Striptease'
    'Chinese Sunrise'
    'Allan McConnell'
    'Ginko Craig'
    'Cherry Berry'
    'Jane Ward'
    and one other that she will have to ID for me. The ink rubbed off the tag and I can't read it. I will post a pic if you need it Marea. It's a real pretty one.

If that wasn't enough, she also included Hem. 'Night Wings'. You know I was doing a happy dance.

To my surprise, Marea mailed me box #2!! It included:
    Hosta 'Lemon Frost'
    Hem. 'True Blue Heart'
    Hem. 'Celebration of Angels'
    and the sweetest Monarch butterfly made of feathers!

You were just too generous Marea and I hope to return the kindness. Thank you dear friend. Everything is doing fabulous.

Okay, on to the Vacation that Deni sent me on. She included a note that said she had planned to send me around the world to lots of tropical places, but instead decided to give a Yankee a tour of the South, LOL. Perfect!
    Here is what we picked up as we vacationed together.....

-The Dixie Dictionary (Complete Guide to Southern Language)
    This is so awesome......I had no idea a "canecutter" was a large swamp rabbit. : ) Loving this!

-Mississippi Magazine, filled the great recipe's and a very good gardening guide.

-Ghosts (Personal Accounts of Modern Missippi Hauntings) by Sylvia Booth Hubbard. Can't wait to read this!

-National Audubon Society Field Guide to Birds (Western Region) DH and I are thrilled to add this to the Eastern Region edition that we already own. Must haves for birders!

-Flora, A Dictionary of Common Plant Names. This is so great. Something I had wanted.

-Sweet Potato Queen's Big A$$ Cookbook (and Financial Planner) by Jill Donner Browne. LOLOLOL. This will be some great reading. I think I saw her on Oprah?

-A pink parrot bottle opener. You have to see this! I love it.

-"A Morning Cup of Yoga", 4 CD collection. I cannot wait to start using this. I've been planning on starting Yoga for quite a while and this is a good motivator.

-Garden Shears. This is the nicest pair of shears/scissors for the garden. Now I can retire my old, rusty ones. Awesome.

-A rubber parrot stamp! I just started collecting bird stamps...Yay!

-An aromatherapy set that will hopefully help to relax me during the stresses of homebuilding that are yet to come. It is really nice.

-A pink/white wall pocket that will go with my collection of pink shabby chic things. It's very pretty.

-Birds.....my heart was so touched by the collection of birds that Deni sent. I cannot do them justice by describing them and will post pictures of them in one of my next posts. Something I will treasure forever.

-Something else I will treasure is the Bluebird Nest Box built by Deni's Dad. Now that is just the coolest!! I have a spot at the new place already picked out and will be installing a post soon. Once it's installed I will post a pic. Deni, I love this. Your Dad is very talented and I appreciate it so much. I saw a Bluebird up there the other day. This is so fitting for my soon-to-be home, "Bluebird Hill".

Okay people.....I hope I haven't lost anyone yet. This is only the beginning. Here are the plants Deni included in this special Vacation box:

All these different Sedum:

'Vera Jamison'
    'Purple Emperor'
    'Kamtschatka'
    'Voodoo'
    'Frosty Morn'
    'Tricolor'
    'October Daphne'
    2 large green upright sedum
    1 large upright variegated sedum
    and 2 more bags filled with sedum.

-fruity sage
    -Gaura 'Corries Gold'
    -Coctail 'Vodka'
    -Coctail 'Whiskey' (I believe those are begonia's)
    -Stokes Aster
    -Parrot Lilly
    -Toad Lilly
    -Purple Hidden Ginger
    -Canna ? Maybe 'Tropicanna'?

Hemerocallis
    'Prairie Blue Eyes'
    'Sonic Bloom'
    'Star of India'
    'Jason Salter'
    'Happy Returns'
    'Teller of Tails'
    'Coral Cay'
    'Mister Lucky'
    'Small Gesture' (I think not, lol)
    'Little Dreamer'
    'Merry Mimic'
    'Strawberry Jazz'
    'Ceil D'or'
    'Rain Drop'
    'Continental Holiday'
    'Symmetry in Ruffles'
    'Fairest of Them'

Whew!!! I sure hope I didn't forget anything Deni. You sure did go overboard with all those boxes. The postage alone was just unreal. What a fun vacation and I will be enjoying it for a long time to come. Thank you beyond words.

You did such a good job hosting that swap and I look forward to next year. Thank you for being such a good friend to us all.

Jo, I love your new garden! What a blast I had watching the progress. A wonderful place to sit and remember, smile, and laugh. I have some plants for you and will mail in the next few days if that's good with you. Included will be your plume poppy. : )

Anita and Shirley have bit me with the Iris bug. I was over on the LA ordering more this morning. Awesome pictures both of you!

Shirley, 2 of the Iris I bought from you have bloomed so far. It's just amazing. They are still so small, yet have sent up these giant flower stalks. Too cool.

Sharon, that's a good comparison, LOL. I'm just crazy about my tools & equipment. : )
    I love my 'New Dawn'. It blooms for such a long time and always looks great. Very disease resistant.
    I've been overwintering 'Black & Blue' for a few years (same plant). I've had success both in the greenhouse, and in my unheated shed that stays around freezing or a bit below (it's attached to the greenhouse). That Salvia is one of my favorites. A pic from last year:

Shirley, Dawson is adorable. I'll have to show my sister that pool.......she wants to get a kiddie pool for her new house to soak her pregnant body in. : )

Only a little over 2 months until I become an Aunt!!!!!

Dianne, that quilt!! I am speechless! It is so cute! I love the chicken wire design. You should go into business. It turned out just beautiful.

Cindy O, I'm in no hurry for the 'Boo'. But thanks for thinking of me. You'll have to give me some ideas of what you are looking for.

Karen, good deal on the furniture. DH and I were on our way home from the property Saturday and we passed a yard sale that had the best ol' wheelbarrow with a metal wheel. I begged DH to turn around. Glad I did.....it was only 5 bucks!!!! I also got 2 old wooden boxes with cool hinges for $1 & $5.

MamaG, Hope you are resting comfortably. Can't wait to have you back.

Anita, Did you at least break even? Love that pic of Baby David.

Canna, tell Doug training camp starts soon. : ) Hope things are going good down your way.

MaryB, thanks...I am trying to get an appt. as we speak. My doc is always busy and it's hard to get in with short notice.

I really didn't want to get a shot & the steriods if I didn't have to....he'll only give them to me twice a year. But since it's pretty bad i'll go. Shame, i'll clear up and get it again i'm sure.

Check this out....

That is less than a square foot of my "grass" at the new place. Can you see the Poison Ivy? Well, that is how it is in the entire field. It's even worse along the tree lines and in the woods. It is impossible to not touch it. But believe me, i'm trying.

Good news, our driveway base is finally complete!!

{{gwi:1277224}}

That pic is the very end of the 1000' drive and the house will sit approx. where our Bobcat is. To the left of the Bobcat is the garage area.....

In that pic I am overlooking the garage area. My DH is walking toward the garage doors on the house.

DH is home today and we are headed over to dig the footer for the garage. Yay! Construction will finally begin this week.

Well, I better get moving. I have more catching up to do, but I want to get this posted before I lose it.

I'll BBL......

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• bourret
    17 years ago

Hi Everyone!

Love all your pics! Those Japanese Irises are to die for but I have no space for them. Is it true that lime will kill them? I just got three of them for my friend who is trying to establish a nice garden and I don't want her to lose them.

FINALLY!!! The rain has stopped. The sky is a beautiful blue with almost no clouds. I have to go out and weed. Certainly can't dig with the soil so wet.

Anita & all, You have me scared! I know Bill Maryott sends 100% worth of bonuses. Since my bonuses will be his introductions I'm hoping it won't be too much. Who am I trying to kid? Help.

Dawn, Your driveway looks awesome! I have this thing about driveways in the country. They look out of place when they're paved.

Marea, That was some box you sent Dawn. You're a doll.

Deni, You sent Dawn so many plants! You're very generous and a sweety to boot. Where does she get all the energy to do all she does?

I'm going to pull those nasty weeds! Sorry for all your poison ivy infections. Hopefully, there's something the doctor can give you to clear it up. Fortunately, I've(keeping fingers crossed) never had anything happen when I touch the stuff. Why is that? Doesn't everybody who handles it get the rashes?

Best to you all Angels,

Lisa

• cody_mi
    17 years ago

ok for the june everything goes swap the partners are as follows
    marea - dianne
    paul - shirley
    cody - anita
    lisa - dawn
    gloria - ellen
    jo - maryb
    debbie - cody

i realize that i'm on the list twice, but we had an odd number so i'll send twice, unless karen or cindy decides that they do want to be part of it. i'll give them till tomorrow at noon to make a final decision. the rules for the no rules swap are...the swap for june is a free for all. you must send at least five plants that will make your partner smile. at least one of them needs to be a favorite of yours and you need to send them a little note about why it's your favorite. you may send any extras you want. the plants can be anything!!! THEY MUST BE SHIPPED BY JUNE 27, 2006. try to get them out earlier since everything slows down around the fourth of july.

• juspeachy
    17 years ago

I'MMMMMMMM BAAAAAAAAACKKK,
    big grins***

Any hoo,

Cindy,
    Your box of goodies is on the way.

Sherri,
    Yours is on the way too.

OK,
    I WOULD LIKE TO HOST A SWAP AFTER CODY'S JULY SWAP IS FINISHED.
    I THOUGHT SINCE THE SUMMER WILL BE WINDING DOWN, A "PEONY/IRIS" SWAP WOULD BE GREAT. BECAUSE PEONIES ARE SUPPOSED TO BE PLANTED IN SEPTEMBER, AND IRIS ARE LATE PLANTINGS AS WELL.WE CAN SET IT FOR LATE AUG/EARLY SEPT. I THOUGHT I WOULD OFFER IT NOW, TO SEE IF ANYONE WANTS IN, AND THAT WILL GIVE US SEVERAL MONTHS TO GET ORDERS OUT AND BACK BY THE TIME THE SWAP IS DUE. I can keep reminding you all so you don't forget(yeah right, ME remember something?)But, I will, I promise.(smiles)

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF ANY OF YOU WOULD BE INTERESTED IN DOING THIS.

thanks everyone,
    big hugs,
    Jo

• cody_mi
    17 years ago

i'd like in on the peony swap and maybe add ornamental grasses to the list?

• User
    17 years ago

So, I'm sitting here, right? Doing nothing, minding my own business. I promised myself no more plants for this season. Well, except for Cody's swap, of course.

Anyway, what falls into my lap?--the offer of a peony swap. Do I need any more peonies? Nope.
    Do I have space for any more peonies? Certainly not.
    Can I pass this up? Absolutely not!

Jo, count me and my historic peonies in.

I'm so weak.

Sigh . . . .

• veeja11
    17 years ago

Cody is it too late to get in the june swap? I kept meaning to sign up but kept procrastinating, please let me in. either way
    hugs carol oh and squirrels plant peonies. mine planted two.love everyones pics and boy are the babies cute. I'm gonna have to wait for great grandchildren now, my kids are done. so I'll just enjoy yours

• toomanyanimals
    17 years ago

Thanks Carol, so it was the squirrel and not you that planted that peony in the middle of my garden!
    sharon/tma

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to ask for a little prayer for our hometown hero, Ben Roethlisberger.
    The Pittsburgh Steelers QB was in a bad motorcycle accident downtown this afternoon and has undergone surgery. He was not wearing a helmet. At this point, all that is being released is that he is in serious but stable condition.

Seems as though he had the right of way, was coming out of a tunnel and a woman turned or pulled out in front of him. His head impacted the windshield and he flipped over the car, landing on his head on the pavement.

I am praying that he will be okay. This brings back the terrible memories of our motorcycle accident just a few years ago. It's something i've tried hard to put behind me, but when you hear about things like this it's hard to forget.

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• cody_mi
    17 years ago

here's the final list!

marea - dianne
    paul - shirley
    cody - anita
    lisa - dawn
    gloria - ellen
    jo - maryb
    debbie - carol

• brittneysgran
    17 years ago

Anita-Yes those are the three irises that I want. You got all 3 of them right. Hope you got my e-mail on our trade.

Jo-YESSSSSS I want in on the peonies/iris swap. I love peonies, irises, and everything. Not seen many flowers that I don't like.

Paul-I'm always ready for trades. Have you been on daves garden and seen Doss's irises. Oh my goodness he has some nice ones. He lives Out West too.

Dawn-My $1.00 irises bloomed also. I was amazed that they bloomed this year. What a nice box from Deni and Marea.
    Order those irises Dawn. We need to have lots of iris swaps. 2 months until the baby gets here. I know you are excited. My DH can pull poison ivy up by the roots and never get it on him. If I go over and look at it, it gets on me. Whew get rid of that stuff.

MaryB-I do have enough of Joeys Mr. Man Louisiana iris. Will send it to you. Maybe next year I can send to someone else.

Marea-Love your iris circus world. Now you have two things I want. TB iris circus world and those tiger eye dutch iris.

Barb-Love your little 'tiger' dog. He's adorable.

Jo-I am in no hurry for our swap. Just LMK.

Sharon-Dawson loves that pool. It has steps on one side of the dragon and you slide down his tail. His Mom has to watch him, everytime he sees it he starts taking off his clothes. Wish peonies would come up in my yard. I'm going to try and sow some seed this year. Love your daylily Ida Belle deBoen. You have the most beautiful daylilies. My mango tango I got from you is just about to bloom.

Lisa-Yes lime will kill Japanese irises. You cannot even plant them near where you might put in a concrete walkway or driveway. Also, they have to be moved every four years. I found out the hard way that this is very true. They use up all the nutrients in the soil and need to be moved somewhere else. They get smaller and smaller and eventually die if you don't move them.

Whew bed time for me. Take care everyone.

Carol-I have not forgotten about the picture with my hat. Going to post my hat soon. Wish squirrels would plant me some peonies. Our squirresl are lazy, won't do nothing.

Shirley

• bourret
    17 years ago

Shirley, Thank you for letting me know about the Japanese Irises. My suggestion was that my friend plant them in large pots and sink them into the ground. I potted them up but the pots should be larger. There are some very large pots in my shed and I think I'll get them back from her, re-pot them and have my DH plant them in big holes in the front of her house. This way I know no lime has been added to them. If they die she'll feel very badly because I gave them to her. Actually, now that I think about it all her plants came from me. I told her not to buy any because why should she bother when I can divide my plants and give her anything she needs. Although, for her birthday last year I did buy a Daphne,'Carol Mackie' and a Hydrangea,'Endless Summer'. This year for her birthday, I'm getting her a Forsythia,'Meadowlark' and a Lilac'Miss Kim'. If I gave her rooted cuttings of shrubs they would take forever to get up to a decent size. I can rationalize anything. Just ask my husband.

I have DAWN for the swap! My mind is already turning.

If you all remember in early-April I asked questions regarding likes, dislikes, garden themes, what kinds of plants you collect(Cody's very good suggestion that I "tweak" the garden theme question a bit), books you enjoy reading, magazines you subscribe to and types of garden labels preferred. I saved all of the emails sent back to me so if anyone needs ideas just ask and I'll send you your swapper's answers.

I'm going to read for awhile then go to bed for tomorrow is supposed to be "a lovely day" according to our weatherman.

Talk to you later Angels,

Lisa

• mareas
    17 years ago

oooh - 5 what-ever-i-wants to DIANNE! Tiny fans! Thanks for hosting this swap, Cody, and thanks for boxing my ears so affectionatey & waking me up, too. *grin*

Sharon - your daylilies are so - its like you paint them instead of photograph.. Just beautiful. Dabbing pollen! Thanks for reminder!!

I am becoming a real yellow lover - I can't believe it! Lookit diamond dusted ruffled 8 inch wide 'Lunar Max'!!
    {{gwi:1277228}}

Jo - I love your idea but really better sit your grand trade out. I might really get to move in August!!! Pray!

Shirley - i wrote those 2 irises down for you in my notebook.

Dawn, dear, I'm so sorry about your Steeler! Helmet laws are not stupid & I wear one when I ride horses or motorcycles for just that reason.
    Will you try taking benedryl to see if you can get your body to stop being hysterical about the poisen ivy toxin/allergen? It is still the best antihistamine & actually helped me when i was covered head to toe with poisen oak. Ask the doctor.
    Ok - gotta eat to work to garden ~m'

• ellenh
    17 years ago

Good evening everyone!

Jo, I'd love to be part of this swap, I was just wondering if it would be a problem that only one of my peonies has a name. Will that keep me out? When we're talking about irises are we talking about bearded, LA, Siberian and Japanese? Lastly, and most importantly, can I get Anita or Shirley as a partner?

Hi Gloria!!! It's going to be fun to have you as a partner!

Lisa - thanks for the reminder!

Ellen

• mareas
    17 years ago

Thank you so much for saving all those responses to your questionaire! I tried but failed. You are now a veritable/bonafide/virtual Angel library - thanks for being there! ~m'

• abitodd
    17 years ago

Wow Dawn, Did I really send all that...lol I guess I did go overboard but it sure didnt seem like i sent all that much. I had fun putting it all together so as long as you enjoyed it then thats all that is important.

Well I thought I would pop in and see what was going on. Need to get in the bed. Have an early morning...have been shipping all day and that just beats me down.

Jo, count me in on you swap.

You folks that are in the far north what is your latest safe planting date?

Beautiful pictures...Beautiful babies....Beautiful People...

What more can one ask....

Nite all

• cheerpeople
    17 years ago

CODY,
    I would like to be in on my first swap. I see now that gives you an uneven number AGAIN. So you don't have to include me in this one. That's ok, too.
    I won't have my feelings hurt either way. JUst LMK. I sat on it for a few days, so I understand if I'm out on this one.

You know I just found out our PO doesn't stock the priority boxes. You have to get them on line. That is so retarded! They said the only reason they have a few on hand is becasue customers bring the PO the extra boxes they ordered!

I was out taking more garden pics. Should have th eroll developed soon. Thx for all the lovely pics you folks are sharing.

I read jap. iris are intolerant of drying soil. Are they really that fussy? I wouldn't want one if I had to worry about that.

Cody is 6 yo honeysuckle past it's prime? Mine has had aphids the last 2 years. I'm wondering if this is better as a short term perrenial? It was one of my first plant purchases. The ones I've propagated from it are fine and no aphids. But then they are 2 yo.

Is there any benefit to cutting back a heliopsis? Will if get more bushy growth or jsut be shorter?? I have a lovely variagated one that I want to grow wider.

time for coffee.

Glad to read up on everyone. Man that poison ivy sounds nasty. Not sure about the pic. I know the saying "leaves of three, let them be.."

I just transplanted my first lion's ears seedlings. I'm so excited they worked out. They will be an annual here (of course)

Karen

• juspeachy
    17 years ago

Morning everyone,

Ellen,
    I am not sure how all the others feel, but no names would probably be ok. What I will do is find out who has no-names and pair you both up. Or you can do a no name and a named. Iris will be whatever kind you have to share. Or, again, you can purchase one (or more) it will be up to you.We will just try to do the best by our partner. I will tweak the details a bit more, and get back to you all. I do know that "wilds" has very nice peonies, and their prices are not bad. I got a "sorbet" from them last year and the tuber was very good sized.

Shirley,
    Can you recommend a good place to get reasonably priced, good size peonies? I KNOW you can recommend a place to get iris(smiles)

Dawn,
    I will keep him in prayers. Make sure you take care of that poisen ivy.

Di,
    girl, you just crack me up.

Karen,
    I am sure Cody will find a spot for you.
    On your aphids, I will tell you what I use that works great. I get one of those spray bottles from the garden centers, fill it with water, put a small squirt of dish detergent (I use Ivory) and a capful of hydrogen peroxide in it, and go spray them. I don't get them on my honeysuckle, but I do get them on a couple of my roses and this solution works great for me. My honeysuckle is over 10 years old, and I don't have a problem with aphids, so I doubt it has anything to do with age. Have you checked to see if you have ants? Ants literally "farm" aphids like cows to get the "honeydew" from them. If you check your plant and find ants with your aphids, then that is what is happening. Spray them good, and see if you can find the ant nest and get rid of it. Once they are gone, your aphids should be too.

Deni,
    Latest safe planting date here. Hmmmm, it seems to vary by year, but I usually don't like to plant anything besides bulbs after mid sept. I have planted iris and peonies as late as the end of Sept. and they came through fine(of course, that is peony planting time). Also, some of my small shrubs, but i don't try perennials that late.

Marea,
    You crack me up too. (tiny fans indeed) Love "lunar max", and i am not a "yellow" person either, although I HAVE found myself admiring more of them lately. Hope you really do get to move this time, so you don't miss out on the swap for nothing. But, hey, if you find out you aren't gonna move later on, let me know, and I can most likely squeeeeeeeeeze you in. big hugs

Carol,
    Squirrles plant peonies huh? THAT could explain where the peony came from that popped up by my watergarden a couple years ago. Well, there goes my theory that I was such a great gardener it moved in there because it wanted to live here in my gardens. Ahh well.

Hey Shirley,
    want me to send you a couple of MY squirrels? to help you plant peonies?

I got MaryB for my partner, toooooo coooooool!

Well, today is Doctor day for DH,please say a couple more prayers that most(all?) the damage is healed or healing.

Better get moving,
    hugs to all,
    Jo

• brittneysgran
    17 years ago

I've got to share this with you. I just got an e-mail from
    Brad at Rainbow Hill Daylily Farm. He is the one who sold all the $1.00 daylilies on the Lily Auction. He is sending me as a bonus his 2005 AND GOD SAID. I bought all those daylilies for a landscaping project at OUR CHURCH.
    I can't believe he picked out that daylily as a bonus. Pretty neat. God is still on the throne. I'm listening. I'm listening.

Shirley

Jo-Yes send me 2 or 3 of your squirrels (if they will work)
    Prayers for DH today. God Bless you both.

• barbamaman
    17 years ago

Hi folks,

Quick Us vs Raccoons tally:

Us - 0
    Raccoons - 3

Yup, they got 3 DL's so far. They just get to digging and break off or just kick off somewhere (1 disappeared! Maybe they took it home?) and the daylily is kaput!

They dug again last night - one of yours, Deni - I'll tell you which if I ever find the tag - the same one they obliterated yesterday.

In past years, they do this right after the young ones come out of the nest and mama is showing them how to forage. We see cute families of toddling fuzzy trios with thin tired mamas moving through the woods and gardens at night. Midnight to 3 am is the magic time period.

So they are now walking across 3' of plastic sheeting, sprayed with pepper-based varmint spray AND deer repellent into the new DL garden.

Lots of interesting posts to respond to - back to you all this evening.

Barb

• nyvoices99
    17 years ago

Good Morning All,
    Quick Hi, Need to get some things done before Jo & DH get here today:)
    Shirley,
    I got my E-mail from Brad too:) I'm getting it too:) This is---And God Said

Have a fun day all, :)Anita

• brittneysgran
    17 years ago

Oh Anita its beautiful. I will give it to the Church since I bought the others to give. I'm going to have a plaque made with what it says about the daylily and put it beside the daylily.

This daylilys name was inspired by the book of Genesis; as per chapter one: "And God Said, "Let there be light," and there was light." The light is necessary for making GodÂs creative works visible and all life possible.

Shirley

• bourret
    17 years ago

Jo,

I just want you to know I'm praying for your DH today.

Lisa

• pchanggeo
    17 years ago

Shirley.. looks like we're trading on Cody's smile swap... maybe your favorite will include a bearded iris or two (HINT!)... LOL. Let's see... what to send, what to send...

Dawn, yikes. I'm itchy just looking at those shiny leaves. The King of Wisdom only has one word for you... concrete.

:-)
    Paul

• marybz5ny
    17 years ago

Morning Everyone,
    Jo, how did everything go with Gene's Dr. appt?

Angie, Maryott daylilies came. Thank you again. Cool bonus plants - Knights in Velvet and Villa Del Sol. Let me know final $ amount and I'll paypal you.

Shirley, thanks for checking on the Mr. Man for me. Just hang on it to for now if you would. Would hate to do postage for one thing. Maybe we will get paired up for one of the swaps coming up and you can throw that in. Otherwise, we just may have to do a swap of our own before fall!

I can't think of a better free for all swap parter than JO!
    Thanks Cody.

Barb, how frustrating those raccoons must be! It's probably hard to be really mad at them when the babies are so darned cute. Maybe you need to get Luther the Flying Elvis Guard Dog on duty.

Marea, did you see my note that I think your hosta in question is Frances Williams?

Jo, I'll be in for the peony and iris swap. I have lots of both that need to be divided and moved this fall, so this will work out perfect. Even have some grasses to include if you decide to add those too.

Someone asked about poison ivy not affecting all people. My understanding is that not all people are allergic to it. Those that break out in the rash are. Those that are not though will usually become allergic to it over time with repeated exposure to it.

Dawn, what a nasty looking patch of grass/ivy. I agree, you have no other recourse but chemicals in this case. How are you doing? Have you seen the doctor?

Off to start the day.....
    MaryB

• mareas
    17 years ago

MaryB - I sent you a long ol' email thanking you - where do those things GO?? Yes, that IS Frances Williams hosta, thank you for the fast & correct ID !!

Angie, in case you didn't get my email, either, I received my box of Maryott daylilies too & will send a check as soon as you email my total. Thank you very much for sharing those great bonuses!!

It is TRUE that the poison ivy/oak allergy can develope eventually - my DH grew up in it & didn't get his first rash until after 50...

There is a GREAT bulb seller on eBay who is offering lots of bulbs for Winter forcing... "flowersforme123"

My regional AHS meeting is being held in Portland next month & I get to go! Peat & Petit are gonna speak, there are garden tours & an auction - so excited!!

Barb - that photo of your Tiger is just adorable! Those Cairn's were always so easy & fun to work with at the vet's, perfectly behaved & so smart they knew why I had to poke & prod them. Superior dogs, I think.
    Good grief - killer coons! Now you need chicken wire tents for your plants & a gallon of tabasco sauce just to garden? Not fair. One of my cats (crippled Tim) took it on himself to rid us of our family of coons - only one short trip to the vet about all that, we were very lucky.

Roses: Sharon, I have New Dawn, too, a 12 by 4 foot mass just covered with flowers only 2 years after the 40 year old plant was bulldozed next door & then rescued by me. Obviously indestructable plant. I also recommend 'Lafter','American Beauty' & 'Fragrant Plum'. All 3 are also drought proof, disease resistant & bloom in bouquets of substantial flowers with hardly any care. And then there is 'Cecil Brunner' - prettiest pink rosebuds in the world & also no fuss at all. I have several more new to me antique roses that I've been raising from cuttings, just love roses...
    great day everyone, marea

• dirtpig
    17 years ago

Hello All,
    Wow.been here reading for about a hour now..lol..so much going on.

But first off Cody..I'm late too..so can Karen and I be parterns for your swap..Please...smiles

Baby pic's ...wow what cuties..Mr Man is getting so big..I can't believe it..

Love all the iris pic'iris...and those Japanese..breath taking..Anita and Shirley I think its time for a midnight raid..so don't worry about that flash light you see out in your yard late at night it's just me..smiles

Jo..you make me tired just reading your post..your family garden looking great..can't wait to see more pic's.

Dawn bored of seeing your pic's of your new house..NOT ..love seeing how things are moving along for you..so sorry about the poison ivy ...wow..yuck.

Mareas...hugs...love seeing all your daylily pic's...i'm not crazy about yellow..but sure like see all your different blues.

Oh ya Jo...please I want in on the fall swap..peonys and iris..sorry Cody I don't really have much in the way of grasses..the darn stuff drives me crazy reseeding all over the place..lol..or its just me..just took the shovel to some the other day..its gone..won't stay out of my sedum and hostas..so out it went.

As for dayliles blooming..just some unknown yellows...that smell so nice... one a small golden color and the other is a bright yellow with a dark back side..have scapes on others tho.

ok a few of my iris and by the way Cody get out there and GET PIC'S...smiles..would love to see some pic's of your gardens..this is an unknown

This RockStar..someone here had this one and posted a pic last year..just had to have it..lol

Red Zinger

Raspberry Blush

Mamabear..please get better..need to see you posting again..only when you can.. missing you..hugs

Oh can someone tell me ...what going on with Mr Man the iris..The form Joey..mine isn't doing well at all..moving it cause I think its to wet where is was..but its not doing anything..is it to cold here for it maybe..anyone else in zone 4 have it?
    Hugs all.Jean/Dirtpig

• mamabirrd
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Canna!! Come out, come out wherever you are!

We miss you and are starting to worry. Please let us know that all is well.

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• mary_s
    17 years ago

Hi!
    Jean, Those iris pics are beautiful. I may have to get me a few more of them (OH no here comes another addiction)
    Mr Man iris did not do well here in zone 4 for me either. In fact I think I lost it :( It came up and just withered from there. Is there such an iris that is not good for northern gardeners? The rest of mine grew like gangbusters!

Dawn, How exciting to be building your dream place. How is the poison ivy? It sounds miserable. Hope the Dr can help you.

Gloria, hope you are recovering nicely. Miss you!

Jo, Thinking of you and your DH. Hope he is doing OK. I want to be on the peony/iris swap. Is that for July? Please repost the details or email me.

Deni, Your fall swap sounds like fun! Count me in.

Dianne, What a cute quilt! How did the peek-a-boo quilt come out?

Dianne,Anita,Barb,Shirley....What darling grandbabies!

Anita and Shirley...Those iris pictures are lovely.

Marea...great looking DLs! I can hardly wait...Stellas are blooming their heads off! Have others forming scapes!

Anita Love that daylily bonus you got....I only ordered 6 from there so did not get a bonus! Boo Hoo!

It is raining! We really needed a good rain! Now I will not have to water all those hostas every couple of days.

I had to host my card club today so we are having left overs (junk) for supper...Don't you just love to have a junk food meal once in a while? DH is not so sure about that but is just thankful to have food!

Well better go...Going to be gone the next few days.....MaryS

• cody_mi
    17 years ago

ok last time yall!!!!! no mas entries!!

marea - dianne
    paul - shirley
    cody - anita
    lisa - dawn
    gloria - ellen
    jo - maryb
    debbie - carol
    karen - jean

remember they need to be sent out by the 28 at the very latest!

paul
    can we hold off on our trade for two weeks? things have come up and i'm a bit strapped at the moment.

please everyone remember to keep your list updated as well as possible. i'm off to heed myself!
    cody

• barbamaman
    17 years ago

Ok, here goes:

Jo, love your garden - man what a big job, tho! Anyway, Cosmo was there to supervise.

Maybe the next ultrasound will tell you more about the baby. We saw Marie's profile so clearly in hers!

And Jo, I'm going to turn down your peony/iris swap, since I have only 1 peony Cindy just sent and only a few irises of any interest. My personal favorite so far I found shriveling up on a friend's sidewalk - she'd run out of room planting them. It's about 5' tall with enormous wide leaves and maroon and peach whatevers. (Gotta go study "Parts of an iris"...) I've got a big stand of them and although the colors strike me as just stupid, they are imposing, and so structural they set off everything else.

Dawn - Poison ivy all over - youch! I'm still sorry about your fish. You'll get the pond calibrated right soon - you're good at that. Just don't go spraying it with your big huge monster sprayer. If I were a poison ivy on your lawn, I would just LEAVE.

That Salvia 'Black and Blue' is nice! Salvia so far isn't my best plant...

Angie - More poison ivy! When the girls were kids, we had a lovely Toggenburg goat named Millie who ate every scrap of poison ivy she could find. DD Jess was allergic to cow's milk. Not only did Millie keep the house and buildings areas clear, we never got a rash as long as we were drinking her milk.

Dianne - You know hostas. Do deer really just eat them up? Keep us posted as you redo your hosta beds. I think I'll have trouble, too, spacing mine right. But then, I have deer, so all I need to leave space for it itty bitty nubs.

Paul, I didn't buy the orchids. I said to myself, What would Paul do? The answer was clear; he would say to himself, These are NOIDS and I don't need Paph mongrels, and he would leave them at Lowe's. Especially if he had no greenhouse.

Cody - Wish I had the plants and the steam for your Smile free for all swap; sounds fun.

Deni - What a great vacation box you sent Dawn! I'd love a trip through the South. I remember a trip we took in 1957 - boy, is the South a different place today!

And Meghan, the raccoons got my Teller of Tales. They dug at a few others but so far, only 3 are completely killed, only 1 of yours. I was so excited about my daylily garden! Now each morning I'm afraid to look. I hope their dextrous little pawsies just burn from the pepper repellant we put out! I do have lots of scapes and Shirley, the next to bloom will be Twilight in Tangiers!

Marea - Circus World is awfully cute! And wow! you sure packed a wonderful box for Dawn. Love your pictures, as always!

Cairns are smart and fun - we bred and showed them for many years. Tiger was imported from NZ because I wanted some of his British bloodlines. He used to be red! He's a funny little guy; goes around squeaking plush animals, and sleeps on his back snoring in a laundry basket.

Cindy - Little Peter Piper is adorable! I like lavender/violet DL's.

Sharon - How did the final grades turn out? I'll bet you got a high speed scholastic review yourself.

Marie's blonde now - we all were, and her dad's family too - but will probably end up darker when she's grown up.

I love your 'Ida'!

I put my Rexes in dappled shade under a high oak. They get sun each morning, tho, in their wintertime window, but the room is cool. They do burn in the sun. Want to trade Rex leaves?

We had a greyhound/Dobe who kept all animals that weren't ours away. I'd love another, but can't train one now.

This is getting too long...I'll do part 2 tomorrow.

I have a Dianthus 'Rainbow Lovliness' so covered with fringy fragrant blooms you can see it all the way across the yard. Smells incredible!

Good night. Dream something good.

Barb

• User
    17 years ago

Barb--not only do deer eat hostas, people eat hostas. Either in Japan or Korea, they're eaten like salad greens (gasp--clutch chest--swoon). Thankfully, I'm okay because I have a fence around my yard and the deer stick to the areas closer to the woods, which isn't me.

MaryS--peek-a-boo quilt? I'm currently working on an I Spy quilt. What's a peek-a-boo quilt? Could it be that there's something out there I should be making my grandchild that I am not? Am I falling down already on my Grandma duties?!

I'm so jazzed about trading with Marea! Have to go put my thinking cap on and start brain-storming for ideas. By the way, Marea (and Jo) I am definately a "yellow" person, so send all your unwanted yellows my way and I'll give them a good home.

I don't have any named irises or peonies. Well, I'm sure they arrived with names, but have become anonymous in my garden. So, Jo, pair me up with someone who won't mind a tuber of "the orange one" or "the blue one."

Glad to see Mamabear awakening from her hibernation and playing more.

No Ding Dings this year? Anyone?

Deni, count me in on your swap, too, but I can only think one swap at a time. I take the first week of October off from work each year and do a lot of fall planting. That should help you with timing for my area.

• juspeachy
    17 years ago

Hi All,
    Quick check in, then back outside to work in the gardens. It is SO GORGEOUS here today.

DH dr appt went fine. He has to wait 6 more weeks, then he is scheduled for another ultrasound of the heart, and a stress test, and a blood test to check his cholesterol and see what his platelets are up to(smiles) So, no work for him till after he meets again with the doc on the 8th. of Aug. After that we shall go from there.

I want to thank you all for your prayers for him. They are so needed and so very welcomed.

Marea,
    I would love to do a trade with you for some rooted cuttings of your New Dawn, and your Cecile B roses. Let me know, K?

I will post more on the Peony/Iris swap later on. I want to get back outside and finish the bed I started yesterday. Should have it done by this afternoon.

Will post pics when it is.

Hugs to all,
    Jo

• toomanyanimals
    17 years ago

Marea, Jo, Dawn and whoever else grows New Dawn Rose or is thinking about it.
    There is a small discussion on the clematis forum for a pairing of New Dawn and a Clematis.

I've heard about pairing the roses and clematis before, and now that I have my New Dawn really growing and surviving I hope to do the Clematis pairing. Right now I have a Polish Spirit Clematis blooming elsewhere. It might be a good idea to move it to my Rose Arbor. :o)

Sorry, not much time to post.

sharon/tma

• namso
    17 years ago

Good evening all,

first i have to say many thanks to Shirley and Jo for such nice trade boxes. you guys are wonderful!!!!!!! Shirley you picked out such beautiful hosta for me. and drool drool...need Diana Remembered. but it can wait til we trade next time :). Jo an awesome iris and daylily selection. :). Couln't believe you added so many, it was not necessary!

Angie, Lisa, Anita, Maryotts Lovers in general :), they are so awesome!!! I don't think ive ever received smaller than 3 fans and that was JT Davis. and HUGE ones too. and great bonuses too! reminds me to place another order soon :):).

Marea, ouch on that Lunar Max....why did i not pick that one in my Trimmer kick? going on the must have list. Dianne, i have tons of yellow needing divided, if you aren't too picky, i need to move remove some duplicates after they bloom this year. email me.

Jean, i only have 10 iris that have even bloomed so take it for what its worth, but that noid looks like Stepping Out to me, if its really purple purple and only photographs blue. :)
    Barb, lol...would have described an iris like that too. big grin.

MaryB, you are such an enabler yourself!. Started and heavily dosed by MaryB, highly seasoned by Shirley, with just the right touch of Marea and Ellen. All simmered with fresh MaryS.
    Heres my hostas:

Mini hosta garden
    {{gwi:1277234}}

ut oh...out of room...mini hostas #2
    {{gwi:1277235}}

bigger hosta
    {{gwi:1277236}}

for those not impressed, i had 3 hosta 2 years ago :). (Cody-ihope something like that might qualify me for July...cause i grow no food :).

onto daylilies next :):)

Cindy O/namso

• toomanyanimals
    17 years ago

I'M VERY IMPRESSED!

• cody_mi
    17 years ago

jo
    i love the minis too!! maybe i'll cheat and make you my partner for july!! i don't grow much in the way of food plants either, thats my fathers domain. good thing i set the rules huh?

congrats on 'and god said' girls, looks great! anita you should cross it with jerry pate williams for me.

i got a couple of seedlings from townsend today. spacecoast cool deal x jt davis and alex townsend x jt davis. probably won't bloom this year though.

please someone save me from myself!! i just bought first knight, circle of beauty, american original and zephyr john (anyone have zj?). i'm so in the poor house now!
    lata yall
    cody

• nyvoices99
    17 years ago

(((Cindy))))
    So glad you stopped by:)
    Oh my I almost forgot why I came by tonight, you sure did through me for a loop, so happy to see you

I have a small amount of Variegated Obedient, It is not like the other it is very slow to grow, Any Takers for a trade?.It is beautiful, Cody, Shirley want some in your box's?

P.S, JO I OWE YOU 31!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• nyvoices99
    17 years ago

Warning to picturterial subscribers, MY SISTER WAS JACKED OFF MY PAGE , 3 DAYS AGO She thought it was an honest thing, BE CAREFUL !!!!!!!!!! My Big Sister, I cant believe this has happened, Garden web has thief's, she thought she was doing good!!!!:)ANITA

• User
    17 years ago

Anita, I don't understand. What happened?

• ellenh
    17 years ago

Anita, I'm confused too - tell us more.

Ellen

• juspeachy
    17 years ago

HEY ALL,
    I AM POSTING FOR ANITA.....

SHE SENT YOU ALL AN E-MAIL EXPLAINING HER POST, SHE CANNOT POST ON GW RIGHT NOW.

SHE IS WONDERING IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW LONG THE TRIP TO DISNEYS TAKES?

I WILL LET YOU KNOW MORE WHEN I KNOW MORE.

JO

• brittneysgran
    17 years ago

Oh my goodness I just saw a post from Anita on Dave's Garden and she has been banned from GW.

Shirley

• juspeachy
    17 years ago

gonna finish this one and start a new one.

Jo