Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poisondartfrog

Something's missing here-Pictures

poisondartfrog
14 years ago

Where are all the garden photographers? I am especially missing Diene's lovely Lilies this year!

I will get it started.

These should be clickable:

Water Lily Joey Tomocik

Zinnia Queen Red Lime

Creole Cavalier

Urn with Bacopa, Lantana, Calibrachoa

Comments (37)

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Good idea!

Your bacopa is fantastic! the nurseries here have not had it this year except in those 'ready made' planters and I may grow it from seed next year!

Daylilies are the stars in my garden right now! most of these are NOID from trades.

unknown daylilies
    pink with a yellow stripe (possibly halls pink)

large peachy apricot

buttery yellow double

bright yellow tall

my fave red

assirian chariot

Lori Goldston (?)

I love daylily! (I guess you can tell!)

• Vic Billings, MT
    14 years ago

Your flowers are lovely girls!
    I don't have any pics to show, the rabbits did me in this spring and everything is just now growing again : (
    Vic

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Vic, that stinks! Maybe they will make up for the delay by blooming like crazy once they catch up.

Francis, I like daylilies too. Lori Goldston is lovely and I especially like that soft double yellow. I may try to trade you out of some of that one of these days.

My favorite yellow in my garden is Sherry Lane Carr.

• raggedyann161420
    14 years ago

Beautiful flowers ladies!

A few of my daylily are just beginning to bloom.

Here is a picture of one of my weedy hosta patches, and it iin much need of rearranging.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

Here's a few of my favorites.

champion pink campanula bells

Iris, chasing rainbows

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Raggedyann
    Is that bishops weed I spy in that hosta bed??? beautiful variageted combination! I am positively Green with envy!!! of course Bishops weed in this climate terrifies me, but I used to love it back home!

Vic,
    doncha just hate rabbits!!!! I have spotted my first few japanese beetles this year, I am sad...... I expect much chaos in the garden while I am away!

Alana
    The double yellow is beautiful, I am sure we can work out a trade....

ishareflowers
    that Iris is STUNNING!!!! you make me miss mine already!

• raggedyann161420
    14 years ago

fcoffill, yes it is bishop's weed, would you like some? Yes, I do like it but not in the hosta bed. I had it in a corner where nothing seem to grow, but...... then came wind and seeds and that is the rest of the story! Your daylily are beautiful!

Lisa, ooooooh! love the looks of chasing rainbows.

Alana, your Sherry Lane Carr is a beautiful yellow!

Vic, sorry about the rabbits! I know they are cute, but boy they can eat their weight in plants. They did eat all my impatients, and I love to plant salmon colored ones because the hummers love them.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Now I feel bad. I can't grow Bishop's Weed. It just struggles along and I have had the same measly patch of it for two decades.
    I love the Hosta bed! The Bishop's Weed and Pulmonaria change up the texture and make it interesting.

Lisa your Campanula are beautiful! I love that clear true pink color. Mine never seem to do well but I keep trying.

That double yellow daylily is even more gorgeous in that photo than in the first one. Wowsers!

Here's one of my favorites from this morning, Mae Graham

Have a good Sunday!

• raggedyann161420
    14 years ago

Alana, If you would like some of the bishops weed I will be glad to send you a bunch. Just give me a few weeks because I'm working two jobs and I have to get 2 trades for this month out first.

Yes, I do love the looks of it, and last year I didn't mind some of it being with the hosta, but this year I've not had time to keep it in check. So just let me know. As a ground cover it is just great!

We had some more rain last night, UGH!

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Annie
    I am afraid to try Bishops Weed here, in this climate it would either die from the summer heat/drought or adapt to the cliamte and become the new "Kudzu" ha ha ha.... I am sure that would not make me very popular! You could send me a little rain if you have too much, we aren't hurting here yet, but its bound to happen before long!

I think I better stick with the invaders I already have!

Alana
    My nextdoor neighbor gave me the yellow daylily before she moved away. It bloomed for the first time this year and has been going strong now for about 3 weeks. I wish I knew what it was, I would be looking for more!

Best get back to work!
    Frances

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Annie, I have tried Bishop's weed in several spots and it just does not thrive. I have given it to other people for whom it grows nicely so it is something about me, or my garden, that causes it to be so inhibited. I will just settle for my scraggly little example.

I hope to see some more photos here this week! Some of my best plantings have been inspired by everyone's GW photos.

Have a good week, Alana

• raggedyann161420
    14 years ago

Alana, I thought I would offer some to you, and if you change your mind let me know.

Here are a couple of daylily that bloomed for me today!
    Chicago Picotee managed to thrive and squiggle it's way up through hosta. I will be sure to move it when it is done blooming. Some of my hosta have just exploded this year thanks to all the rain.

CHICAGO PICOTEE

DAYLILY OLIVE BAILEY LANGDON

Sorry these are so big, I tried to resize them but photo bucket/and or my computer was not cooperating.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• tracyvine
    14 years ago

Hello Alana, Frances, Lisa and Annie, I am in love with all of your blooms! The pictures are beautiful!

Alana, it is always a treat to see your gardens. This is one of my favorite places to visit whenever you post pictures! Creole Cavalier is absolutely amazing!

Frances, I love all of your beauties! Your unknown peach has such creamy lines in it. Assirian Charriot is gorgeous. Love the water drops on the petals.

Lisa, I am coveting your Chasing Rainbows. Those colors are amazing!

Annie, I am going to move in to your garden. You don't mind, do you? I love the hosta with your water pump.

Here are a few of my pics from today.

Pink Astilbe

Integrifolia Clematis

Brownies Heuchera

Moonlit Masquerade Daylily

Arctic Queen Clematis

White Astilbe

Heucherella Stoplight, Heuchera Caramel, and some Lambs Ear

A NOID heuchera planted with some sedum

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

OMG, Everyone's gardens look sooooo great!

Alana, you know I always LOVE your pics.

Frances, I want to visit! LOL, someday I will!

Annie, you know I have already oogled your pics...

TRACY!, I am in love! You have LOTS LOTS LOTS I wish to have someday. You have a RED hen and chick! I want one so bad! My mom does too....you garden beds are out of this world. I can only HOPE mine will look 1/10th as good as yours someday! I am gonna have to replace my: Heucherella Stoplight. OH my your, Artic Queen is sooo pretty, I want that one. I have looked and no one has it here yet, maybe someday, and that Moonlit Masquerade Daylily has been on my wants list a LONG time LOL. OK I am finished oogling YOUR pics now LOL.

That NOID Huechera, looks a lot like my Pewter Veil.

Well I am off to bathe and bed have a great night everyone!

:) Fran

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Annie. I will remember that you have it in abundance. The cool colors of Chicago Picotee associate nicely with the Hosta background. Your Hostas are incredible!

Tracy I am glad to see you post! Your Clematis are always so beautiful! I am going to look for Arctic Queen. Is it as pure white as it appears?

I am trying to remember if this is Elegant Candy. Does anyone recognize it?

Carnival Morning Glory

Royal Highness

Enchanted Autumn

• tracyvine
    14 years ago

Fran, thank you for such sweet comments. LOL! I would love to have all that property that you do down there to plant on. It is going to be beautiful. There is only one big red chicks and hen but it is putting out pups. I will look into what to do and send a couple for you and your Mom after I figure it out. They are new from last summer. I needed to put something under that heuchera to give it some balance.

Alana, It is good to be posting again. Thank you. You know me, I love my clems. I have tons more than before but most are very young and still in the pinching back phase. Next year should be a better showing for them.

Yes, Arctic Queen really is a true white. Mine is in the shade so would show if there was any creamy/yellow quality like many of the other "whites" do. It is one of my favorite type 2's. I highly recommend getting one.

If I remember right, you have a beautiful type 2 on an arbor or an arch. Was it Belle of Woking? How is that performing this year? I rememeber sighing over it a long time ago and thinking how amazing it must be to walk through it. I would love to see it again! :O)

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Hey Tracy, that is so sweet of you! You are just too too kind. Did you check to see if your NOID Heuchera might be Pewter Veil? It really does look just like mine. With the silvery? flash of leaves. I posted a pic of mine on another post. I will try to find it and repost it so you can see.

I am going to get that Artic Queen Clematis too! It is so clean looking lol. I just planted Sweet Autumn and a purple that I am SURE is 'Jackmanii' my mom has has it forever and I FINALLY got 2 starts from her. She used to have Nelli Moser a pretty white, and a few more too but all of those must have died out because all she has now I think are the purple color I just got.
    I want the red 'Rebecca', 'Rouge Cardinal', and 'Westerplatte' I think the colors on those are COOL. LOL.

Alana, you have more beautiful pics as always.

Ok well off to go check the other threads.

• tracyvine
    14 years ago

Alana, I've been looking up your daylily and I don't think it is "Elegant Candy" since it doesn't have that deeper pink color margin around the yellow throat. I did find one that has a lot of the same characteristics as yours named "Michigan Magic". Is that one of yours?

Whatever it's name, it is beautiful. Your "Royal Highness" is amazing. I've never seen a more perfect rose.

Fran, You are welcom. I have Westerplatte. It bloomed very nicely this year. Very nice deep red color. I have it mixed in with 2 others, Proteus and Mme. Baron Veillard.

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You are right Tracy. Elegant Candy is right next to that one and is blooming today.
    I got into the clump this morning to look for my marker and found it, but it was not much help. It says that one is Hello Dolly, which it is clearly not.
    I don't remember ever buying or trading for Michigan Madness but I will look it up later today and compare it to mine. It may be that I received the wrong plant for Hello Dolly, in which case I may never be sure what it is. I do like it though.

How about this one. I have looked on my "Daylily Map" and in the garden for my marker, but I can't find the name for this one, which is even darker in reality than the photo.

• tracyvine
    14 years ago

I like the Candy series of DL's. Many of my markers washed clean over the winter so I am in the same boat. I don't have that many so it won't be too hard for me to ID them when they bloom. I just got this neat book from a friend with huge daylily pictures, good reference info, and dealers that sell those varieties. It is a handy book to have. I leafed through it and checked for yours in there and it helped me come to the Michigan Magic possibility. I haven't found your second one in there yet but I did find "Plum Perfect" on this site that has the DL's categorized by color. I will post a link for you to peak at if you like.

"Plum Perfect" has the dark stamens at the tip and the golden throat with the clear pleat in the center of the petals like yours has.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bloomin Designs Nursery

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Hello Tracy!!!! it has been a long time! Glad to get a peak at your gardens again! I love clematis and have started a collection, but so far my faves are Enest Markham and Jackmanii, they just bloom so much and so often. My type 2's maybe just too young to wow me yet! Although Fireworks and and unknown purple did put on a nice show in April! The whites have really not done much this year, I am hoping they are saving themselves for a spectaular season finale!

Alana
    The daylily map sounds like a good idea, though most of mine are ORANGE!!! (kwanso with a few fulva) it is mostly a question of getting the colours together! I have too few 'named' varieties to be overly concerned! I would like to keep the dark reds out of the afternoon sun!

Fran
    I hope you will stop by one of these days! We are practically neighbors! Lets make plans to get together after the heat! these 95F days are wearing this old lady out!

Annie
    if you still have some of that Bishops weed left in September perhaps I will be able to tempt you with something from my garden. It is already way to hot for Plant swapping here!

Gotta run, I am watching the mailbox today~ have great day everyone!

Frances

• dirt_under_my_nails
    14 years ago

I love everyone's flowers. Thought I'd throw a couple of mine on there. This is an unknown DL. I love it though!! {{gwi:1277386}}

First Brug bloom of the year Frosty Pink {{gwi:1277388}}

Frans Hall DL {{gwi:1277390}}

Solar Flare Cosmo {{gwi:1277391}}

Hope everyone is keeping cool!!!
    later...April

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

dirt, I like your noid daylily too! The color is very pretty.
    Thanks for the link, Tracy. I finally found that one on my map. It was Strutter's Ball. I made the map so that I would have a back up for lost or faded labels and it works fairly well, but I have found a couple of mistakes I made by either not putting one on the map in the first place, or moving a plant and forgetting to change the location on the map.
    I am about to get it all worked out, except for the first pink one I posted that is supposed to be Hello Dolly. I love the plant-it has been blooming for weeks, always in multiples and has a very pretty form. I guess it will have to remain a noid. I would be afraid to put a name on it and find out it was wrong.
    I hope everyone is having a good weekend,

Alana

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Hello Ladies!
    I've been enjoying your pictures, so I thought I'd post a few of my own for you all to enjoy. Last weekend I went on a little jaunt, and on the way home, stopped by an iris farm and ordered a few for my home garden. These are some pictures I took of some that I ordered. Enjoy!
    -Dan

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lucky mailman! Infernal Fire is spectacular. Bye-Bye Blackbird is no slouch either. It's time to update my want list!

• tracyvine
    14 years ago

Frances! It's great to see you! It has been a while. The type 2 clems do take a long time to put out a flush of blooms. Mine usually start to grab my attention after they've been in the ground about 3 years. Every year after that is even more amazing. They're slow starters but so worth the wait. I don't have Fireworks. I looked it up and it is pretty. It is very similar to my Killian's Donahue. Those deep pink lines in the petals are beautiful.

April! I love your NOID dl! It is so pretty! Frosty Pink Brug is refreshing. Love it!

Alana, I'm going to have to get a map of my gardens going this season. It would be really helpful at this point. Glad you got the id on Strutters Ball. I love those dark purples. I have a liking for those, the reds and the whites.

Dan, those Iris are beautiful! I would love to visit a farm like that. Alana is right, Lucky Mailman!

Here is Rooguchi Clematis. One of my favorites.

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

:) Tracy
    Fireworks is real pretty common as "Nelly Moser" around here, but I really love the stripe! the flowers are very large too!

April! wow on that NOID DL. gorgeous!!! Still waiting (impatiently) for my brugs to bloom, lots of buds, no flowers yet!

here are a few new pics (no DL this time)

peruvian daffodil

'the fairy' recieved as a rooted cutting last fall, has bloomed non-stop for the last 2 months, no end in sight

nigella 'persian jewels'

imature cardinal wating her turn at the feeder

unknown yellow started from a cutting last summer

closeup of the flower

our tiny vegetable patch

• mareas
    14 years ago

Alana, here is a portrait of the beautiful Alien Mist iris blooming that you sent me last year ~ thanks again!!

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tracy the Rooguchi Clematis is very pretty. It looks delicate and robust at the same time. I would love to see your entire collection!

Francis your yellow rose is lovely. I like the way the petal tips are nearly white.

Marea, I am glad you like Alien Mist. It's one of my favorites.

Prague Spring

McNamara's Band

Oriental Lily, Baruta

Heathcliff

• tracyvine
    14 years ago

Alana, my collection is pretty young at this point. I added a lot last year and those I've kept pinched back to promote better roots. This will be the first year I've let many of them bloom so I am hoping for a nice showing but it will probably be on the small side.

I love your McNamara's Band. I may have to get that in honor of my first grade teacher, Ms. McNamara. She was one of the best. Tough, fair, and got us all to pay attention. What a lady she was!

Heathcliff looks so proud strutting about. What a corker!

Here is this years blooms of Proteus Clematis with a young Westerplatte Clematis on the left of it.

Killians Donahue in the back of the shade bed.

2 Year Old Multi-Blue Clematis
    {{gwi:615217}}

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Ahhh Alana, Healthcliff is SOOOO cute.

TRACY, you HAVE to STOP posting pics! I can't keep adding to my wish list LOL...beautiful pics there lady, you know this right? I love that top Clem! and the burgundy one is sweet too, but the pink is a KNOCKOUT and I can't wait to see my hostas look as good as yours! SO LUSH and full, YES I would say Fran is JEALOUS lol..

Ok keep the pics coming everyone!

Frances, I AM coming to see you, if I can't get Tina to come with me I will get my SO to come. I would love to see your yard. YOU KEEP saying all you have is common stuff, but it SURE is pretty!
    Like the cardinal pic, looks like she is thinking "Hmmm, HOW do I get down there again?"

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Tracy!
    all of my clematis are on the rebound from a hard prune, hoping they will be blooming again when I get back from my vacation ( know this one won't let me down!

jackmani in april (aaaah I remember rain, 8 inches in may not a drop in June)

unknown clematis (from the scorch and burn rack at lowes)

fireworks

The two whites (Pope John Paul, and Miss Bateman have both got a few buds now, I hope they will bloom soon! Miss Bateman has been my only real disappointment. I was told this clematis was very prolific bloomer for a large flowered clem! in two years I have had amybe 3 blooms.

Y'all make me wish for spring again with those Iris photos! mine are done for the year, but those are truly gorgeaus!

Fran
    Will love to see you, whether you bring Tina or not (would be nice to meet Tina too, but lol, I totally understand how busy life with children can be) Of course the garden may be brown if we have another drought like the last 2 or 3 years! But thats ok, I can still offer some tea or lemonade and a shady seat for chatting!

Of course in 3 weeks when I get home from my vacation I could find the whole yard gobbled up by JBs! ha ha ha! no one here to pluck drop and pop!

Alana! Heathcliff is a looker! he is really very pretty, strutting around so proud!

Have a great day everyone!

• tracyvine
    14 years ago

Frances, Jackmanii is beautiful! I love that deep purple color. Such a great bloomer too! Don't you just love the scorch and burners? The stuff some people would toss is amazing with a little tlc. :O)

I hope you post pictures of Pope John Paul and Mrs. Bateman when they open up. I am waiting on Viticella Plena Elegans and Mme. Baron Veillard to open up for me here. These will be the first ever blooms for me. The buds are so tiny!

How old is your Mrs. Bateman? The type 2's really take a few years to get going. Don't hard prune this one. They bloom on old wood from the previous year's growth. Just pinch off the spent flowers after it's done blooming so you can have something for next years blooms. Only hard prune type 2's after the first year in the ground in early spring, after that let her rip.

My Proteus was a pretty flimsy bloomer until year three. This is year 4 for him in the garden and I wasn't disappointed. Now he just needs to get taller. LOL!

Fran, I'm afraid to post any more pictures now. You might jump through my computer and land in my lap. LOL!

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Hello Everyone!

Busy week, packing for my trip,will be gone for a few weeks many things to do to get the yard ready for the neglect to come :O

My mystery brugmansia bloomed!

{{gwi:435966}}

some more daylily shots with the new camera, they are just about finished for the season, only stellas to look forward to now.... oh well there is always next year

assirian chariot

NOID peach

My fave red lucky this one is so prolific, I whish I knew what it was, I just love the soft red colour

Tracy I could happily fill the yard with Jackmani, it just blooms and blooms! cut it back and it starts all over again! Pope John Paul and FireWorks both have new buds forming. When I get back from vacation this year I plan to try rooting come cuttings again, so far no luck, but I keep trying!

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Frances

• tracyvine
    14 years ago

Frances, the blooms are gorgeous. I love the reds!

I say don't bother trying to root cuttings on any of the clems. I've killed every cutting I've ever tried to do.

Layering them is much easier and I've had a lot more success with that method. Just take one vine and do a serpentine layer in the soil next to the main plant.

Using a piece of vine that is still connected to the parent, anchor portions with leaf nodes 2" into the dirt with a paperclip and cover with soil. Roots will develop from there.

Leave the upper portions of the vines 2" above the dirt and repeat the layering for as much vine as you have.

In the early part to middle of spring disconnect the vine from the parent and at each loop above ground, water, feed with rose fertilizer and let them grow a bit till they form 2 sets of nodes, pinch back any extra new growth to promote a healthy root system. You may not see any growth on the stems but coming from the roots below ground instead.

Pot them up later in the summer or place them elsewhere in the garden but keep pinching them back.

• tracyvine
    14 years ago

Frances, I forgot to tell you that I hope you have a great vacation! Where are you going this summer? Up north where it is cool and rainy? :O)

• raggedyann161420
    14 years ago

Beautiful pictures everyone! I WANT ONE OF EVERY PLANT THAT HAS BEEN POSTED!!!!!

Here are more of my daylily.

This is my most favorite of all SHELBY'S SONG, again thanks Anita!

MEADOW SWEET

DARING DECEPTION

WINEBERRY CANDY

SPACECOAST SEA SHELL

RAINBOW CANDY

HILLBILLY HEART

ALL FIRED UP

JAMBALYA

SERENA DARK HORSE

DARIUS

FRANCES, e-mail me when you are ready for some and I will be happy get it in the mail to you. I will send you a bunch of it. :O) :O)

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie