Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gmom2_6boys

July Seeds-N-Stitches Something Crazy

gmom2-6boys
11 years ago

All rules are the same as always so I'm not going to post them. Instead we will just get right to making the Crazy Patch Block.

There is nothing to buy. Just go to your stach of smaller scraps. We will be making a block of material in order to cut out a 12 1/2' square. This block is not done the regular way with a foundation.

Go to your stach, pull out a dozen or so pieces of material. Nothing has to match or be cut at this time. I Try not to use the same material more than twice in any one block. Do not match color or design.

Here goes: Pick up 2 pieces of material and fronts together, sew a straight line. Cut along the seam at 1/4" and press to one side. Set the left overs aside and pick out another piece of material. What you will be doing is building around the 2 pieces you already sewed togeather. But try not to sew in a square. Use an angled line. Lay right sides together and sew the seam. Same Steps as before. Keep going until you can cut a 12 1/2' square.

Does everybody understand? If not ask Questions. I will look for a few sites with videos and post next.

Who wants to join? and how many do you want to trade with

I found this fun and fast and easy.

gmom-Sharon-3

Comments (77)

• gmom2-6boys
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are your partners:
    Sharon sends to: Melissa, Dan, Linda
    Melissa " ": Dan, Linda, Sharon
    Dan " ": Linda, Sharon, Melissa
    Jeanne " ": Sandra
    Sandra " ": Jeanne
    Linda " ": Sharon, Melissa, Dan

I hope this is OK with everyone. Don't forget to embellish the blocks somehow. Lets try to get them out by
    July 23.
    Have fun
    Sharon

• sandlapper_rose
    11 years ago

Great to have the names! My block is ready so I just e-mailed Sandra so we will have mailing addresses for each other.
    Thanks, Sharon.
    Jeanne

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Jeanne I got your email and sent you one back. I still need to embellish my block before I can mail it though. Hoping to pick up ribbon for that later this week. :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• hazelnutbunny
    11 years ago

I'll be working on my blocks this weekend and have them out sometime next week. I'm looking forward to sewing again, it's been over a month! (gasp!) It's just hard for me to allow myself to take a time out for something I enjoy. I'm sure y'all can relate! :)

Hope everyone had a fun & safe holiday! Fireworks are banned here, due to the severe drought we're going through. There were a few cities that had professional displays, but we didn't get to go see any.
    This year was a BAD year for accidents here. 4 children died yesterday, and there were several other severe injuries- one man had his hand blown off, and a teen is in critical condition after some fireworks blew up in his & his friend's face (his friend died!). It's been horrible! I honestly can't remember a year when we've had this many accidents in our area.

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Cool, we have partners! I'll let you all know when mine go out, should be within the next couple of days.
    Dan

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Sharon, is the Millersburg address still good?

• lindaruzicka
    11 years ago

"chanting"..Partners..partners...YAY!!!

• gmom2-6boys
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dan and all, My address is Millersburg or Ocqueoc. They both have the same zip code and post office. If you post through the internet, you need to use Millersburg.
    Thanks for asking.
    Sharon

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Hey Jeanne, sent you an email this afternoon with a quick question. :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

I have Jeanne's package all ready to go, so will mail it next week. Sharon this has been a fun and inspiring project - thank you bunches for hosting this month. :-) Hope everyone has a great weekend! :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• gmom2-6boys
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Dan, My address is still the same. Millersburg or Ocqueoc. Both have the same zip code. If you go by the internet you have to use Millersburg.

I'm glad you liked this project and maybe the next will be as rewarding.

Happy sewing and embellishing.
    Sharon

• lindaruzicka
    11 years ago

well, I've made two blocks so far and they look more insane than crazy!,,LOL..think I'm going to go and look some up!

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Linda, that means you're doing it the right way! Just go crazy! Lol!

I'm putting mine in their envelopes and getting them ready to go out with the mail tomorrow. Yayyy!

Dan

• hazelnutbunny
    11 years ago

Dan, Linda & Sharon~ Your blocks are on their way! Had a forehead slapping moment while making the blocks....
    I was sewing some buttons on them yesterday, and ended up sewing Sharon & Linda's together! LoL! I *thought* the fabric felt a bit thick! :o)
    Oh, well...I had a good laugh. So did everyone else in the house.
    Anyway...hope y'all enjoy them!

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

I received the beautiful block that Jeanne made for me this afternoon, while my hubby was out mailing the block I made for Jeanne. The block I made for Jeanne I embellished in a simple style as I really was not sure how to go about embellishing a block and my sewing machine does not have much in the way of decorative stitching. Having seen the awesome block that Jeanne embellished for me, I can use it as an example of how to do embellishing in the future, this has definitely been a learning curve project for me. And thank you Jeanne for the bookmark it will get lots of use! I am keeping you in my prayers that your surgery goes well! We got over 3 inches of rain today in central Louisiana and it's still raining off and on. Am thankful for this as we really needed the rain, it was so dry here over the 4th of July that we did not do fireworks this year. Attaching a pic of the beautiful block Jeanne made for me.

Best to you and many, many thanks,
    Sandra

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

That block is purdy!

Now, someone throw some Phil Collins on the stereo, because my blocks for Sharon, Linda, & Melissa are all In the Air Tonight! (I love that song!)

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Jeanne, how did the surgery go? Will you be able to sew right away or will there be recovery time?

Dan, here is a promised pic of my hot pink fence you requested. I love how it turned out. It takes me awhile to finally get around to getting things done, but I eventually do. LOL I have so many little projects in the wings, I'm trying to push and clear out the easy ones.

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Bev, your hot pink fence and lilies are beautiful! I am currently embellishing a 2nd crazy quilt block for Jeanne that I hope to mail later this week. Am using the one she sent me as an example of how to embellish. I just had a mental block when it came to embellishing the first one and could not figure out what to do other than to sew on some rik rak ribbon, this 2nd block is looking a whole lot better and adding some glass beads to it. Hope you have a speedy recovery Jeanne!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• gmom2-6boys
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It sounds like everything is moving right along with these blocks.
    Jeanne Your block looks great. Have you done this before?
    I have the blocks done but need to set up my new machine to embellish. I want to use lace and stitches. I will be going to town on Thursday so maybe I can get them finished tomorrow.
    Dan, I got you block today and you did a great job. Thank You.
    Sandra, I love those flowers. Wish they were mine.
    Time for bed.
    Forgot....I have to bake my bread first.
    gmom

• sandlapper_rose
    11 years ago

Hi, everyone.
    Still trying to get straight after my surgery. I sure won't be doing any sewing for awhile. Until late yesterday my vision was really bad in the eye that had surgery. As of today, it's a little clearer, but still not as good as it was before surgery. If I don't see improvement soon, you can bet I won't get the second eye done any time soon. The prescription drops are really stinging my eyes, too, and making them burn so today I am not a happy camper, but that's me - very impatient for things to get back to normal!
    Love the pink fence, Bev. Very pretty!
    Sandra, I'm sorry you decided you needed to make a different block for me. The first one hasn't arrived yet, but I know it will be just fine. You are right, I have decorative stitches on my machine, but I must confess, once the thread ran out, I couldn't rethread the machine so the embellishing stopped there! LOL
    I think I've made 3 or 4 crazy quilt blocks before this one. One was using the second fabric behind it and I really don't like to do that. I also did one that used paper piecing. My favorite version is to just add fabrics as you go along like we did for this swap.
    We've had rain the past two days which was great. I have to stay away from any dirt until my eye totally heals. I've decided if I have to stay away from the garden, "stay away from dirt" includes stay away from house cleaning!
    Jeanne

• bev2009
    11 years ago

Jeanne, I'm sure your doctor would agree about the house cleaning! LOL I think just the excuse of, "my eye is stinging", should also work.

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Jeanna, I'm with Bev, that's a perfect excuse! I hope you heal fast and get to feeling better soon!

Bev, I think that fence is just so kewl! You crazy-quilted in the middle of your garden, and it's beautiful! Bravo! Bravo!

Sharon, I'm glad you liked your block. I had a lot of fun making these! To make things even more interesting, when I was making those cards up I folded the blocks and inserted them into the envelopes, not knowing who each block was going to...lol! I couldn't decide which one should go to which person, and they were all different, just like you, Linda, and Melissa! Which one did you receive? I can post pix of all 3 once Linda and Melissa have received theirs. I don't want to do it yet so they won't know what's coming their way...lol!

Y'know, I liked this swap so much, I'm going to steal the idea and use it in September! That's right everyone, if you want to prepare for the September swap, we're gonna trade crazy blocks again, and we'll have from 1-3 partners again. (Isn't there some kind of saying about imitation being the best form of flattery? LOL!)

Okay, it's off to water my gardens!

• hazelnutbunny
    11 years ago

I received my block from Dan today! It's very crazy & unique....just like Dan! :) Love it..Thank you!

• sandlapper_rose
    11 years ago

I received Sandra's block today... and Sandra, I knew it, it is totally fine as you sent it - the colors and rick rack make it look crazy to me! I will try to post a picture of both once the second one arrives. Sandra also sent some postage stamp size pieces of fabric. Wow, these are small! Not that I don't appreicate them, but I am thinking they may go into my card making supplies. I can't imagine how many it would take to make a quilt! Sandra also sent some wonderful seeds and a nice card. The seeds are pink rain lily, orange cosmos, pink hibiscus, and orange red cosmos. All sound great to me!

Thanks for everything, Sandra.

Jeanne

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Am playing the waiting game as hubby is still in surgery. Hope you have a good and quick recovery from your surgery Jeanne. Glad you liked the block I made and what I sent Jeanne. I really had fun embellishing this 2nd block for you and I know you are going to love! Will try to get it mailed out soon hopefully either this week or next week. It is raining a lot lately and I don't like to drive in the rain as we have heavy downpours at times, rained over 2" this morning. Thankful and glad to have the rain though. Well back to the waiting game.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Friday night, and I've got the next 2 days off, wahoo! And, just to make my day even better, my block from Melissa arrived today! YIPPEE!!! (can you tell I like it?) Here's what it looks like...

Our favorite little bunny obviously remembers how much I like the lake/seashore, doesn't she? Those little houses on the docks in the center remind me of a local place I like to go called Fishtown. There are about a dozen or so little shops and restaurants tucked away on a couple of piers, just off of Lake Michigan, and I love going there. It's a little bit of a drive, but it always makes for a great day, and that center piece of fabric looks almost exactly like Fishtown. And do you see the row of tulips Melissa grew for me in the upper righthand section?
    Melissa, once again you've shown your creativity, and I'm proud to have this block, I love it! THANK YOU!!! Hugs & Squishes to you too! And, lest I forget, Bump & Stella approve so much they've both attempted to steal this block away from me...lol!
    ===========================================================

Linda should've received her block by now, so I think it's safe to post pictures of the blocks I sent out. If you 3 ladies would be so kind, let me know who received which one, would you? Thanks!
    HUGAS to all!!!
    Dan

• hazelnutbunny
    11 years ago

Glad you liked it, Dan! :) I had fun making it for you. I tried to add fabrics & things (like the lake & flowers) that reminded me of you. ;)
    The block I received from you is the top one with the ribbons. You're right, they are all very unique! I like all of them. You did the right thing by surprise mailing them....I couldn't possibly choose one, either!

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Those are beautiful blocks ya'll! Love seeing the pics of them! Jeanne I mailed you a 2nd block today which I had fun embellishing so hoping you love it, my mom loved it when she saw it, and I think it will be my inspiration for making a scrap quilt. :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• lindaruzicka
    11 years ago

okay, sorry I'm a bit behind on posting, I received dan's and Melissa's yesterday. My daughter, her fiance and Lexie are going to be moving into our house to live with us within two weeks or so, it's been quite a stressful situation to deal with. Anyways....
    Dan's block he posted a pic of the block he sent me...it has a lovely butterfly on it.
    Melissa's has a button heart an a little butterfly on hers too..both are really lovely.
    I do have mine made, I just have to embelish them tomorrow.

Im a bit crazy right now because my daughter has asked to move back in with us..only it's her, her fiance and Lexie..."sigh"..we'll letting them but there is some major shifting around of things and rooms..but we'll get through it, I'm sure.

• sandlapper_rose
    11 years ago

Sandra, I hope your husband's surgery went well. Thinking of you!
    Jeanne

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Thank you Jeanne. His surgery went well and he is doing good so far. Spent today at the hospital with him and his sister is staying at the hospital tonight. Hoping he gets to come home early next week. Hoping your recovery is going well Jeanne. Linda it will all work itself out.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• lindaruzicka
    11 years ago

The blocks will be in tomorrow's mail, all I have left to do is the decorative stitching..and Sharon's extra block from last month.
    Tomorrow I"m making the bouquet, buttonaires and corsages for sara's wedding on friday..oh, and her veil!

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

for some strange reason, I've been hearing the theme from "The Waltons" since reading Lindas posts. I wish I was there to help, Linda!

• sandlapper_rose
    11 years ago

LOL... I loved watching The Waltons.

Sandra,
    I received the second block that you sent. It is incredibly beautiful. I took pictures but haven't transferred them from my camera yet. I'll be sure to post them.
    Thanks again,
    Jeanne

• lindaruzicka
    11 years ago

the blocks went out in the mailbox today. Sharon, I sent you last month's along with it. Thanks everyone for being so patient with me! ((HUGS))

• sandlapper_rose
    11 years ago

I'm finally getting the blocks from Sandra pictured on here. I don't think I can add 2 pictures to one post so I will do them one after the other. This is the first one I received.

Jeanne

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

Lol, I recognize that green pond piece! In fact, I've still got some in my scrap drawer, would you believe it?

• sandlapper_rose
    11 years ago

Here's the second one. Sorry I didn't take time to press them before taking pictures. You know how they arrive after being folded and mailed. I haven't had my iron out lately. Too hot for that!
    Thanks again, Sandra! I especially love the fabricin the centers.

Jeanne

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

I love watching the Waltons too! Just watched them today. :-) Jeanne I am so glad you like the blocks! I like how the beading turned out on the 2nd one. Yes Dan those Lily Pond centers are the charms you sent me in one of last year's swaps. They are so beautiful that I got a friend of mine in Dallas to shop for me some and she got me 5 yards of it and it is in the dryer now. So hoping to put it to use this week. :-) Here is a close up on the beading in the center of the 2nd block I made for Jeanne. :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• sandlapper_rose
    11 years ago

You took a much better picture showing the center than I did. The beadwork is wonderful!

Jeanne

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Thank you bunches Jeanne! :-) I took close-up pics of the 2nd block so I can use it as an example of how to make future "crazy" blocks that I want to make for a quilt. I had the most fun doing the beading - it is very relaxing when I hand-sew things. Just finished cutting out 30 5" squares of the Pond Lily fabric for the centers of the next crazy blocks I am going to make and it only took about 1 yard of fabric to do that, so thankfully I have a little left over for other projects.

I am off to start cutting fabric for the borders on my Grandma's queen-size quilt. Hopefully will at least get a good start on that as may have company later this afternoon/evening.

Best to you and many thanks,
    Sandra

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

My block from Linda arrived today, and it just so cool! Very crazy-looking, sort of like her life has been for the past few weeks. I was looking at, turning it this way and that way, and then I turned it this way, which makes that brown patch in the middle pop out and look like a doorway, doesn't it? Remember in the original Twilight Zone, in the opening titles where that crazy doorway opens up and the hallway stretches back into infinity? This block reminds me of that, so I'm calling it Linda's Twilight Zone block. Lol, it's got me thinking about how to make a Twilight Zone themed lap quilt! Last week I discovered a site which allows you to design your own fabric, www.spoonflower.com, and I'm thinking that, if I used some images from the show itself, I could put Linda's block in the middle of it all, and have myself a quilt!
    Linda, Thank You!!! You've inspired me again!
    Dan

• gmom2-6boys
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm back after a week long trip to Wisconsin and Seney National Wildlife Refuge in Michigan. My other half is big in photography. All trips center around that.
    Melissa, your block is wonderful. I love it. Thank You. My blocks are ready to go into the mail as soon as I can get to town. Hopefully on Monday. My blocks are not as fancy as Sandra's, but ok.
    Thanks to all of you who were part of this trade. I hope yo'll learned something along way.
    Nite all.
    Sharon

• lindaruzicka
    11 years ago

I told you they were insane looking!!...LOL!!

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

Sharon, my first block was simple. It took seeing Jeanne's beautiful block before I could figure out how to go about embellishing. So thankfully the 2nd block I made turned out much better than the first. Thank you for hosting this swap Sharon, I have been learning a lot from this "crazy" quilt block project and having a lot of fun with it. And this swap has inspired me to make a "crazy" quilt using 12.5" unfinished blocks with Lily Pond centers which I want to do beading on. I have the Lily Pond centers cut out. Now I just need to finish the border on my Grandma's quilt and prep it for hand quilting the layers together and then can spend more time on my "crazy" quilt.

Best to you and many thanks,
    Sandra

• quiltingfox
    11 years ago

I posted a link below for my Grandma's quilt that I am hand-quilting right now that I am using my 2011 Seeds-N-Stitches garden-themed blocks in. I have a photo of it posted at the link below. Thanks to all of you who helped make blocks for it!

Best to you,
    Sandra

Here is a link that might be useful: My S-N-S Quilt for my Grandma

• lindaruzicka
    11 years ago

I received Sharon's block and it's lovely! I loved all the crazy stitching! Thanks so much! ((HUG))

• hazelnutbunny
    11 years ago

I received blocks from Linda & Sharon today! Both are great, I love them! They will go so well with the others I've got.
    Thank you, Ladies!!

• dan_the_mailman
    11 years ago

And Sharon's block makes 3! It's fantastic, and it's going into one of my s-n-s quilts! Would you believe I have enough blocks to make 2-3 tops, depending on their size? Thank you one and all!!!
    Dan

• gmom2-6boys
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That is everybody recieving there blocks. So I'm closing this trade. Thanks to all that played. I hope a few things were learned here. I like learning new things and this one took a long time to get into my head. But now that it is there I will be using it more often.
    Thanks to all
    Sharon