Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowergirl34_gw

new: mnf's: june 'share your summer swap'

flowergirl34
11 years ago

Hello everyone! And welcome to the Make New Friends June 'Share Your Summer' Swap.

At this point in our summer we are all well aware of the plants that we need to split or have an 'over abundance' of. So that is what this swap is all about...Sharing Your Summer...sharing your garden.

For this swap you will need:

~This is a plant only swap. No seeds. Please include at least 5 plants. ***Take a look at your partners wish list and see if you can fulfill some of their wishes*** And remember, only send nice healthy plants that you would like to receive.

~Please include a card for your swap partner. Sending them a special note or happy greeting while sharing your summer :)

~Please mail in a med. flat rate box (or the equivilent of), with Delivery Confirmation. Please post DC when you mail.

~Sign-ups till June 9. I'll post partners on June 10th.

~Please mail by June 23. Post here when you receive so we can all enjoy your package with you. :D

This is a MAKE NEW FRIENDS swap. Everyone is WELCOME to sign up. Newbies, veterans...EVERYONE! who would like to MAKE A NEW FRIEND.

So what are you waiting for...you know you have plants to share :D

This is a super easy swap...

...and everyone knows I'll be posting games as well...

NOW YOU HAVE TO JOIN :D

vina

Comments (38)

• nottougly
    11 years ago

Count me in. I would like to join this swap.
    Faye!

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Welcome Faye! :D

5 more days to sign up for all you lurkers out there, lol! :)

vina

• elliesfun
    11 years ago

I would love to join but don't have the time this month. I am on the committee for our 50th class reunion and we have taking 3 weekends for it being the grand marshall in 2 parades. Still trying to plant the garden. It has been too cold and wet this year and last weekend the temps dropped again. Need to pass.

Ellie

• smitties
    11 years ago

Great idea and I too would like to join but just don't trust the weather. I did a plant swap last month and lost about everything due to heat in transit and afterward.

Good luck and hope you grab up more lurkers.

Margo

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Afternoon everyone!

Hi Ellie and Margo! Thanks for stopping in to see us :) Stop back by when you can.

I do hope we have some more sign"er" uppers!
    The more the merrier!!

Check back in later!
    vina

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Hi Vina, can I still join in? Have lots of plants to trade!
    Shirley!

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Glad to have you Shirley! :)

I'm going to extend sign-ups till Monday. Hopefully, we'll get a couple more people.

Have a great night!
    vina

• poisondartfrog
    11 years ago

I would love it, but it is just too hot here for what I could send right now. I will be looking to see what is on the menu for August-I could probably do Iris and Daylilies then if there is a plant swap.
    Sorry to miss out,
    Alana

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Happy Monday all!

I think that is what I am mostly going to be sending as well. Iris and Daylilies. Maybe a couple of others. It is getting rather hot, 92 here today.

I'll give this swap till tonight to sign-up in case we have any more lurkers out there. But, we can still do the swap with the 3 of us :)

Swappers:
    vina (flowergirl34)
    faye (nottougly)
    shirley (sjc48)

Tick tock tick tock...you have till the end of today :D
    vina

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sign-ups are now closed.

And partners are...

vina (flowergirl34)sends to faye (nottougly)
    faye (nottougly) sends to shirley (sjc48)
    shirley (sjc48) sends to vina (flowergirl34)

Taylor picked from a bag :) And we've all swapped with each other before, so it will be nice to "share our gardens" again, lol! :)

100% chance of rain all day here. At least I'm not flooded like those poor people in the south.

Have a super Tuesday!
    vina

ps. Faye, I'm emailing you. I need your addy :)

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Hi All! Vina, got your email! My week got real busy real quick so will probably mail your surprize plants on Monday.
    Tomorrow I am going to be doing battle with a perennial sweetpea vine. Who knew they could get that big!
    Have a great night!
    Shirley!

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Afternoon all!

Shirley, I've battled those before...they are tricky, lol! Even when you think you've won, their children show up the following year to avenge their parents :D

Faye, I rec'd your email. :) I'll be mailing on Monday or Tuesday next week. I checked out your want list and think I have some surprises for you.

This week has been C R A Z Y ! ! to say the least. 2 community walks (the whole second grade!), girl scout drama, and FIELD DAYS (of which I'm co-chair for 700 students) all going on this week. And then I'm still trying to get a surprise Father's Day get-together for hubby for Sunday...oh mercy! I'll be happy when its Monday!!! :) Pray for me, lol! :D

Talk to you later!
    vina

• oliveoyl3
    11 years ago

Shirley, someone told me the perennial sweetpea fixes nitrogen in the soil and the deep roots break up the hardpan, so that is a bonus to having those as "weeds". It prepared the soil for you.

Vina, sure thing to pray for your weekend energy & surprise!

Baby hummingbirds are regulars to our yard lately. At first they came together, but now I only see singles either in front or back. It's amazing how thrilling it is each time I see them. Makes my day every time.

They are coloring up more and losing their gray feathers. This morning one was just outside the window next to the computer as it came to Aurea Lamium in a hanging basket. The upright fuchsias in bud are also attracting them and I can't wait until they are open to actually feed them.

Corrine

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Corrine, I'm remembering way back when my grandfather still farmed - he planted, was it field peas, to fix the nitrogen in the soil, every few years, a different field each time- can't remember if he fed the peas to the cows or not. Lord, the things you remember!

I am going to try using the photo feature on the forums-we'll see how this goes-don't know what pic you'll get, there are no captions, just numbers. Here goes:

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Well, that didn't work. Hmmmm?
    Let's try this!

• sjc48
    11 years ago

It worked! What a great feature! That's an Origami Pink Columbine, but don't quote me on that, I didn't label any of the columbines. It was WSed last year. Those plants had at least 30 blossoms and I am collecting the seeds.
    Would you like to see the yellow columbine? This plant bloomed for at least 6 weeks, I kid you not, and I'm collecting the seeds from it too. Both of these should come true, they weren't near any other columbine.

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Good Morning!
    Just wanted to wish Robert-rqeversole a Happy Birthday! Hope your day is great, Robert!
    Talk to ya all later!
    Shirley!

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Happy Monday!
    I hope everyone had a great Fathers Day weekend! Did you all do anything special?
    Field Days turned out terrific! The kids had a great time. :) Surprised hubby on Saturday. He had no idea we were throwing a little party for him. The look on his face was just shock...priceless!

Shirley, believe it or not some of my columbines are still flowering! This is the first year for all of them to flower. I ws'ed them a couple of years ago. So glad I did. The columbine has moved into my favorite top 5 must have garden plant. If I didn't go crazy and sow like 40 different varieties a couple of years ago, I would be getting more seeds right now. :) I have a couple of yellows. But, my favorite ones are the wild columbines, chocolate soldier and tequila sunrise. And my super duper favorite is a noid pink one I got from a garden webber. It is so pretty it almost doesn't look real!

I'll have some chocolate soldier seeds for the fall swapping. But, all the others are most def. cross pollinated since I planted them all in the same bed. :) I'm going to trim them all back so they don't go to seed and confuse me even more than I already am.

Faye, I'll be getting your box together tomorrow to mail. I'll post dc when I do.

OH! and another super garden surprise. My DL seeds that I got from another gw'er a couple of years ago, I think it was Shirley (brittneysgran), are FLOWERING!!! It looks like a rainbow of different colors all around the pool. Oh, how I wish I could post pictures! One is like a sherbert orange color, very ruffly. Another is a dark maroon with almost a mustard colored eye. And its petals curl right back into almost a curly-q.

After a weird spring, this is shaping up to be a very colorful summer :D

Have a super day everyone!
    vina

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Vina, just back from the post office, your plants are on their way! Should be there in a few days.
    DC# 03120090000052219158.

Guess I shouldn't try to do too many things before I've been up for a couple of hours: just spread Robert's B-day all over two swaps!

Vina, if you can get your pics onto your desktop, you can use the "image file to upload (optional)" which is right at the top of this box. My pics are in folders on my desktop, but I think you can access them from where ever you have them stored on your computer. Still trying to find out if this is a new feature or a feature that I have missed for the past two years!

Have a great day all!
    Shirley!

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Shirley, I have pictures on my computer. But I was told I needed to go through photobucket and do a bunch of different things to get them on here...none of which seem to work out well for me.

But, I'm going to give this one more try... :D...wish me luck...

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've never been able to do this before!

This is a pic of my McKana's Giant mix.

I'm going to see if I can find a good one of my yard and pond. :D

This is my pond. :)

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    11 years ago

and here's my side yard...tee hee...I'm loving this!!

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Vina! How Beautiful! And how I envy you all your space! And the hard work - kudos to you and your family! I just know they were all involved!
    I thought you all might like to see the infamous sweetpea vine, you know, the one I'm going to ignore until fall!

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Here are some of my WSed pansies!

• elliesfun
    11 years ago

Great pictures everyone! My favorites are columbine's. My job this year was to ID all my columbines. I stopped counting at 150. The puppy I got a couple of years ago pulled up most of the ID tags. The ones that I have more than one plant of, I am going to dig and put in another garden and either have a plant sale next spring or get rid of. I tried taking pictures of mine this year but it has been a very windy spring and it was almost impossible to hold onto the flower stems and take a picture at the same time.

Shirley I had received some perennial sweet peas in a swap and did a research and decided against planting them. It wasn't worth the problems I would face later. Although I did plant something last year (the tag is missing on that also...darn dog) but its everywhere now. I probably bought $180 in wire fencing and cut and made rounded cages to put around most of my plants this spring. Lo and behold the dog hasn't pulled up one tag. Problem solved!

Looks like another rainy day out. Guess I shouldn't complain because it could be hot and dry. Tomorrow the temp is suppose to be 70 then it will be rain all weekend again. Guess I am going to have to put on a raincoat and just get outside and do something.

Well everyone have a wonderful Wednesday!

Ellie

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Good Morning!
    Ellie, the key words in your post are "did a research!" and quite obviously I didn't! Ya learn as ya go. My annual sweet peas are just now starting to bloom. They are NOWHERE near as big as that perennial monster! Hopefully I can get it under control this fall.

I got up extra early to get out there and water everything and discovered that the ground was still wet from the rain we had day before yesterday. Strange, because it was drop dead HOT here yesterday, would have thought everything would be dry.

Well, probably should do some housework - or not!
    Have a great day!
    Shirley!

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good morning everyone!
    So sorry I've been mia for the last couple of days. Had last day of school things to tie up. Can't believe another year is gone...where does the time go?

Super HOT here today. Going out to water everything. Not looking forward to it. I think I'm going to "plant" the kids in the pool today :)

On a happy note, I received my wonderful box from Shirley yesterday. Everything arrived so green and healthy Shirley! Even with the heat, they looked like I just got them from a garden center. Amazing packaging!!

Anyhoo...in my box from Shirley was:
    ~Salvia: Blue Angel
    ~Salvia: Swan Lake ( I need to look this up. But, I already love the name.)
    ~Salvia: Rose Queen ( I started some from seed this spring. Billy was "helping" me move some pots and DUMP, there went the Salvia. This is a nice surprise. Thank you! )
    ~Purple Volcano Sage
    ~Wild Bergamot
    ~Agastache Lavender
    ~Columbine: Oriental (I don't have this one! It looks so pretty when I googled it. LOVE IT!)
    ~Dogbane
    ~Wild Senna
    ~White Plains Beard Tongue

Shirley you totally spoiled me! All these little babies will brighten up my garden this year. Thank you so much for your generosity! I love them all!!!!

Shirley, I may have been the culprit who sent you the Sweet Pea seeds. I grow them on my garden shed. I've never tried to get rid of them, so I don't know how tough that could be. I just trim them all to the ground in the fall. I'm so sorry if they are giving you trouble.

Faye, I did get your box mailed out yesterday afternoon. Your DC#0311 3260 0002 3604 0737. One of the plants took up a lot of room in your box. But, I hope you like everything that I sent :)

Ellie, could you send me some of that rain. 96 here today and no rain in sight. :( 150 columbines!!! HOLY MOLY! Are they all named varieties or cross breeds? That is just amazing. It must be so beautiful in the spring when they are all flowering. I would love to see a pic of that even if I have to wait till next spring, lol.

And partners are...
    vina (flowergirl34)sends to faye (nottougly)***SENT***
    faye (nottougly) sends to shirley (sjc48)
    shirley (sjc48) sends to vina (flowergirl34) ***SENT***REC'D***

Have a super Thursday!
    vina

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Vina, glad you liked the box, also glad they made it in good shape, our weather has been so HOT!

And you don't need to feel bad about the sweet peas. For one thing, they aren't a problem because I'n ignoring them until fall, and secondly, I clearly remember buying the seeds, from Richter's I think. I wanted to plant them for the scent, should have done my research better, the perennials don't have much scent. SO!! Not to worry!

Ellie, I'll bet the Columbines are beautiful, I'm with Vina, hope you can post pics next spring!

I got my watering done for the day, nice cool breeze out there this morning, supposed to get hot, hot, hot later on.

Have a great day all!
    Shirley!

• nottougly
    11 years ago

Shirley,
    I mailed your box this morning.
    DC # 9405 5036 9930 0053 4932 54
    Enjoy the goodies.
    Faye!

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Thanks for the heads up, Faye, I'll be on the lookout for it. I've been clearing and saving spaces for them!

We got a nice rain this afternoon, much needed! And it is so much cooler now.

All of my monardas are starting to bloom, and the wildflower pots are showing off rocket larkspur, zinnias and nasturciums, everything is looking good!

Have a nice nite!
    Shirley!

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Good Morning!
    I just received super nice box of plants from Faye! They were packed very well, and arrived in great shape! Faye, thank you for being so generous!
    Faye sent:
    Peruvian Daffodil
    Walker's Low Catmint
    Pink lily of the Valley
    Golden Tiara Hosta
    Tube Rose
    Dusty Miller
    Climbing Lily bulbs
    Allium Hair bulbs
    and a plant that lost it's label, kind of looks like a rosemary!
    Faye also sent a beautifully embellished card that she made, a scented candle and a bag of M&Ms!
    These plants are all new to me!
    Faye, thank you so much!
    Great Box!
    Shirley!

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good afternoon everyone!
    I hope everybody had a great weekend! :)
    My weekend was crazy. Went camping. Still feeling the ground on my back (in my back, lol!) The kids had a great time!
    Now, its time for getting ready for the Fair, and my plant swap. Already have my donated raffle items. A gorgeous spinning yard stake, ceramic bird (really pretty), glass leaf shaped windchimes, and my favorite, a seahorse stepping stone. Its so pretty and made with mirrored glass!

Shirley, that sounds like a terrific box! All your plants are looking really terrific. All liking their new homes. And the dogbane is history :)

Faye, have you rec'd my box? I hope everything made it there okay. If not I can re-send.

And partners are...
    vina (flowergirl34)sends to faye (nottougly)***SENT***
    faye (nottougly) sends to shirley (sjc48)***SENT***REC'D***

Well, as soon as I hear from Faye, we can wrap up this month. :) This has been one super fast and terrific month. Thank you ladies for making it so much fun! :)

Who has July?

Talk to you later!
    vina

• sjc48
    11 years ago

Vina, ditto on the dogbane! I think that plant will always remind me to DO THE RESEARCH! And I wonder why the company sells them?

For those of you not in the know, I bought dogbane seeds to WS; they are supposed to be a good butterfly host plant. After I had mine planted and mailed some to Vina in this swap, I read where they are a bane all right, a farmer's bane. They are terribly invasive and get in the crops and are very hard to get rid of. One source said they were poisonous to cattle too. GOOD GRIEF!

I guess you live and learn, pity I didn't learn sooner!

Vina, this was a nice little swap, I got some great plants! Thanks for hosting!
    Shirley!

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Morning all!

Shirley, I've also done that. Purchase something BEFORE you investigate it. My big mistake was one of the first plants I every bought was...SPEARMINT, LOL! :D We all know how that loves to spread out. Needless to say 15 years later, I'm still fighting it!

I checked Fayes package and it says it was delivered on Saturday. I hope she got it, and I hope everything was okay.

Have a great Tuesday! Splitting some more iris today, tomorrow, the next day...and the next day, lol! :)
    vina

• nottougly
    11 years ago

Hello Vina,
    I did receive your package on Saturday. I have had a hard time logging on due to the fact I am working 12 hours a day this past weekend and this week.
    I loved the plants that you sent to me. I have been wanting the Russian Sage and the Sunflower Sundown.
    I also appreciate the Iris, Egyptain Walking Onion and the Double Tuberose.
    Thank you very much I really do love them.
    Faye!

• sjc48
    11 years ago

I just heard from Faye that the "mystery" plant was an Asparagras Fern! Which is a totally great thing because one of mine died this year and I thought I'd have to buy seeds, and good luck finding those! I grew mine from seed many years ago and lug them in and out of the house, depending on the season. Faye, thank you so much!
    Okay, back outside, it is beautiful here today!
    Shirley!

• elliesfun
    11 years ago

Vina I would love to send you some rain along with all the slugs and aphids that came with it. And also because of the humidity it has brought out ants and they are eating my house. Everytime I turn around there is sawdust and I even seen them coming out of the electrical plug-ins. Luckily the guy said they were not termits or carpenter ants but they like damp areas and when the humidity gets high,...cost me $674 the other day to spray the inside and outside of the house. WOW!

Regarding the columbines since I planted the columbines all in rows I am sure many have crossed but got some beautiful ones this year. Most of the tags are gone since Patches pulled them up. The colors were beautifil but alas I didn't get any pictures since it was so windy and rainy most of the time they were blooming and now they are seeding. I marked the ones I want to keep seed from and the rest I have been cutting the see heads off.

Oops! I just noticed the clock I have got to get....taking an informational class and New Horizons Computer Center today. Bye

Ellie

• flowergirl34
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey everyone!

Faye, I'm so sorry about your long work hours but SO GLAD everything arrived okay...phew. That makes me feel better. And I apologize about not giving you a larger variety but as you could see that coneflower took up most of the box.

Shirley, got the pics. Thanks so much for sharing them!

Ellie, I can deal with the slugs, lol. We just really need the rain. The ground has huge cracks in it already with it being so dry. Usually we don't see this till the end of August. I've been watering every day. That hose is getting heavy :)

The kids and I started our Haybale Decorating contest for the fair. I said pick something easy we can do. Last year we won first place with our rainbow butterfly hay bale. That took a few days to make those wings. So this year, please, pick something easy...what did they choose...a PLESIASAURUS!

You got it...I'm making the Loch Ness Monster from a hay bale. I have the head, flippers and tail just about base coated. The kids will put the finishing touches on everything with sponge painting. We'll put it all tog. at the fairgrounds next week. I have to get a picture of this to post when its done.

What will kids think of next? :)

Well, I think this swap is officially wrapped up :P

And partners are...
    vina (flowergirl34)sends to faye (nottougly)***SENT***REC'D***
    faye (nottougly) sends to shirley (sjc48)***SENT***REC'D***

THANK YOU EVERYBODY!
    Talk to you soon!
    vina

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews