Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nataliexoxo_gw

new ~~herbs~~ white elephant swap

nataliexoxo
14 years ago

I am hosting my 1st RR swap!

This swap will be as follows:

Everyone that participates will list the items they will be sending in their swap box. It can be seeds, cuttings or rooted plants.

I will then put all the names of everyone participating into a hat and draw from the names. I will then list the names in the order that they will get to choose a swap box by. The first name will pick the box they would like to receive. The second name can then choose another box or take the box the first person chose and so on from there.

If your box is taken from you, you will then choose another box from the list. This continues until everyone has chosen a box.

Please sign up by Sunday, July 5th.

This is a great way to add to your herb collection and maybe get something you have really been after!

Comments (82)

• amelia_pepper_lady
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Surely we have more herb growers?

• nataliexoxo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

amelia, i went in to the archives to find other herb swaps and invited everyone from them to join ours. maybe people don't check their email or have run out of room in their gardens.
    it's a shame bcse i really wanted to get a lot of people for this one. oh well. it's still going to be fun!!

• amelia_pepper_lady
    14 years ago

Maybe posting an announcement on the Herbs Forum? I thought that posting there with a link to the RR page might spark a little interest.

I was really expecting this to be a HUGE RR. Almost everyone I know who has any type of interest in plants grows at least a few herbs.

I must admit I am cheating on this one. Instead of sending things I have, I am purchasing from a reliable source. The idea is that I am purchasing in duplicate. So, I get to expand my collection doubly through one RR.

• ncgardengirl
    14 years ago

Hey ALL, ya'll KNOW I am still lurking over here lol.
    I think some folks are worried about the heat for the plants and this is not a good time to ship cuttings, it really is too hot for those.

I wanted to join because I was looking for plants. I missed the part about seeds and cuttings. I have all the seeds I need at the moment and I am not good with cuttings and with the cost of shipping thur USPS like it is, it is just to expensive to ship and and they have become so unreliable, there is no telling where cuttings will end up.
    I know these are the reasons for me and I am sure it is some for others too. I KNOW it will be fun and I really wanted to be part of this one because I have never done one of the white elephant swaps and although I think I would be a might bit confused I REALLY was looking forward to it until I realised someone could put in all seeds or all cuttings and no plants and I would be sunk, so I had to decline BUT I REALLY still am interested LOL.

IF the rules stated at least so many plants PLUS seeds or cuttings then I would be there BUT because it could be any or all, well see...

Natalie, you have a good idea, it may just be the wrong time of the season and Amelia is right, if you haven't already maybe you should go post on the Herb Exchange, and also the Plant Exchange AND the Seed Exchange, and post a link back to this thread.
    I am sure you will get a few more folks if you hit all three of those exchanges because there will be more ppl from the seed and plant exchange that do not haunt this forum who will at least come looking!!! :)

OK, sorry I added my 2 cents, but thought I would throw in why I am not in it. I truely DID want to be but like I said, I stink at rooting things and I have loads of herbs seeds I haven't even thought about getting started just yet...

If you would consider hosting another one like this later on this fall with plants and cuttings then I would like to hop on the bus then as long as plants HAVE to be part of the box and not and optional but a MUST be included ;). I think I would have half a chance to root something in the fall, but not now it is too too hot here.

:) Fran

• nataliexoxo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

well does everyone think it's too hot right now and that we should postpone it til say... september?

i don't mind pushing it back a bit and maybe getting more people with a fall swap as opposed to a summer swap?

• amelia_pepper_lady
    14 years ago

I'm definitely worried about the heat and mailing plants. Our temps are already exceeding 100. Heat indices are running 105 - 120, depending on the amount of cloud cover.

I was planning to offer replacement rooted cuttings in the fall if the plants died in transit.

So, I can participate either way. (Fall for most people may still be summer for me.)

If you don't get replies soon, you might want to e-mail everyone that has signed up. Maybe set a date for the decision?

Participation also may be low due to vacations. Although we normally don't travel in the summer, we're taking a trip in July. The event we are attending is always scheduled for mid-summer.

• suecirish
    14 years ago

I don't mind participating in the fall, but many herbs are annual rather than perennial for me in New England, so that would also be a consideration. And I agree, I would much rather have plants than seeds.

• amelia_pepper_lady
    14 years ago

The zone differences make it a little difficult.

In my case, plants may simply wither and die during shipping from late May to late October. (I've actually had some plants "melt" away to nothing this year. A plant when I left in the morning and no sign of it when I returned home. Only upon digging could I find roots.)

In Sue's case, now is probably the best time to ship plants. Fall may be too late.

How do we resolve these issues?

Most herbs are perennial here -- even those that are annuals. Some, I can't seem to kill even when trying to get rid of them. It appears that the annuals reseed themselves while I'm not looking. (They spread and colonate.)

As for me, I can do almost anything. I can replace plants at a later date if they die in transit. I can wait and have my chosen box shipped to me later. I can take all seeds if necessary.

• suecirish
    14 years ago

Natalie,
    I'm getting my box list together. I hope we are still a go on this - it seems to be fading a bit. When do you want the lists posted? I see sign-ups are until Sunday.
    Sue

• nataliexoxo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

we are still going ahead with the swap!

please have your lists posted by the cut off to join.

i will gather all lists and post all in 1 posting so we can keep easy track of them.

• suecirish
    14 years ago

Excellent! I have to just check a couple of things later - if it stops raining long enough - and I'll be able to post.

• amelia_pepper_lady
    14 years ago

Are you waiting to see what others post before posting the contents of your box?

I must admit I'm trying to see as many as possible before posting.

• suecirish
    14 years ago

No, I'm not really waiting for anyone else to post. I have some plants that may have rooted pieces, which I would rather send to someone than a cutting if possible. I also have some seedlings that were winter-sown so I want to see how they are doing, how big they are, etc. We have had rain every day this week, incredible thunder storms yesterday and today, so I haven't been able to go outside to check on these plants before committing to adding them to a box. I just wanted to wait until close to the deadline so I could add as much as possible to the box and make it a nice collection.

• amelia_pepper_lady
    14 years ago

Wish I had your rain. We are not getting rain -- just a couple of times in the last week. Before that, it was in May. Our temps are 100+ during the day. Plants are liking this weather.

OK, here are my plans for the box. (If any of the plants die due to the heat, I will update and name a substitute.)

Ginger mint
    Creamy Berries mint
    Kentucky Colonel Spearmint
    Margarita mint
    Grapefruit mint
    Hazelnut Latte mint

And, since these were on the list of herbs and I am called "the pepper lady" locally,...

Red chile pepper seeds
    Cayenne pepper seeds

• nataliexoxo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ahh amelia i am drooling over your box already. i'm a mint junky and i don't have these yet (well i have berrys and cream mint- i assume it's the same as yours lol)

we will deff have fun picking and stealing boxes!

and i can share some of our rain if you want lol
    we only had 8 dry days in june. july is 2 days old and we had buckets of rain last night. it was torrential to say the least. the plants in my garden are growing more like weeds than veggies lol
    i'm happy to have them do that and it saves on my water bill too.
    thanks mother nature

• amelia_pepper_lady
    14 years ago

I'll send a tanker truck for some rain water.

Since it's so very hot, additional hypochlorite is being added to the water supply. For the potted plants, I can catch pitchers and cans to let the chlorine flash off over time. However, when watering with the hose, I'm putting large amounts of chlorine on the plants.

I'm keeping track of the boxes --- looking for new mints.

• amelia_pepper_lady
    14 years ago

I am SO glad I didn't offer chocolate mint in my box!!!!

Something defoliated my rooted cuttings of the chocolate mint. The other rooted mints in the same tray were not touched.

Maybe a chocoholic slug?????

• smitties
    14 years ago

Ok, ok, I have been lurking long enough. I can't resist. I am going to join and will be putting the following in my box.

Chocolate mint, lemon balm, garlic chives, lavendar,lemon thyme, red beebalm, purple beebalm.

Seeds, Echinacea-Big sky sundown, calendula mix, Parsley-dk. green italian, dill, and copper fennel.

I will also be including some surprises.

• suecirish
    14 years ago

I think I'm ready to post my box too. I checked everything out today, and I either have rooted plants or cuttings that have rooted.
    Bee Balm (red or purple)
    Chives
    Lavender 'Hidcote'
    Lemon Balm
    Pineapple Mint
    Purple Ruffled Basil
    Selfheal- Prunella vulgaris
    Silver-edged Thyme
    Yarrow 'Cerise Queen'
    Seeds:
    Curly Leaf Parsley
    Feverfew
    Mammoth Dill
    Sweet Basil

I may have a few other things to add, but those will be extra and I don't want to commit to them right now.

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

Happy 4th everyone, sorry to be MIA for a while but I was out of town. Im so glad its picked up in here, I see a couple of boxes I want! (really, we have to choose just ONE??) If youre worried about shipping plants in the heat you can always pack in a cheap cold-pack and some insulation. Also, sorry if anyone is allergic to cats. Rufus is trying to be 'helpful' by keeping the box warm and well snuggled... its like hes trying to hatch it or something!
    ~Laura

• amelia_pepper_lady
    14 years ago

Rufus would be most welcome at my home. I'm a cat person. However, I haven't had a cat in over 20 years. My daughter is allergic to cats; they tend to cause asthma attacks with her. She has moved out now but I still don't have a cat. : (

Last day to post box contents, isn't it? Just want to say there will be a couple of surprise items in mine.

BTW, the chocolate mint eater still hasn't touched anything else!

• amelia_pepper_lady
    14 years ago

I'm excited. Been reviewing the lists!!!

Will check in early in the morning.

• nataliexoxo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

maryann2007

maps31 (you don't have an email address for contact)

tiffanyy808

please make sure to post your lists asap. if they aren't posted by wednesday i will have to drop you from the swap. i really don't want to drop anyone since everyone is offering a great selection of herbs and goodies!

i will post the master box list wednesday, or sooner if i get the 3 missing lists.

• nataliexoxo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

maryann2007

maps31

tiffanyy808

WILL BE OFFICIALLY OUT OF SWAP IF THEIR LISTS AREN'T POSTED BY NOON.

There is also someone who requested to join last minute- past last minute actually. If they post a list by noon I will allow them to join. If not, they aren't in.

• perennialfan273
    14 years ago

You know, honestly, I don't think anybody would take my box...the herbs I have are pretty common and there isn't really much in my garden. Anyways, I'm willing to send any 5 of the herbs on my trade page (cuttings). Is is okay if I use that as my list??

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

I cant speak for anyone else, but its OK with me! Maybe post here what you have for people to see?
    ~Laura

• perennialfan273
    14 years ago

Chives
    Purple Sage
    Greek Oregano
    Lemon Balm
    Peppermint
    Spearmint
    Sorrel
    Lavender
    Feverfew
    Borage
    Artemisia (not sure which species...)

These are the herbs that I have available for trade

• perennialfan273
    14 years ago

Sorry, forgot to say that the feverfew isn't just regular feverfew, it's actually golden feverfew (a variation of the straight species). The foliage is much brighter than regular feverfew and makes a splendid edition to the herb garden.

• smitties
    14 years ago

Adding chamomile to my list. Also a small seedling of cats mint if the chooser would like it. (Cats mint does not spread like typical mint. Mine is a beatiful bush like plant.)

• maps31
    14 years ago

Hi,
    sorry to be so late, been out of town

I have
    Sweet Basil
    Italian Large Leaf Basil
    Garlic Chives
    Parsley
    Arulular.
    crochet dish rags (by yours truly)
    and a Lavender sachet!
    Surprises all around!

• nataliexoxo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

PICKING ORDER-

Aliciay- #1
    amelia pepper lady #4
    lanaw #7
    Maps31 #8
    lilangel1181 #3
    nataliexoxo #6
    smitties #2
    sue cirish #5

BOX #'s-

#1) Peppermint, Apple Mint, Orange Mint, Chocolate Mint, Julep Mint/Mojito Mint, Hot & Spicy Oregano and Cinnamon Basil (cuttings of all). Plus surprises.

#2) banana mint,pear mint,chocolate mint,lemon balm (cuttings), single leaf parsley, lemon verbena (cuttings)and dried lavender buds.
    #3) Ginger mint, Creamy Berries mint, Kentucky Colonel Spearmint, Margarita mint, Grapefruit mint, Hazelnut Latte mint, red chili pepper seeds, Cayenne pepper seeds

#4) Seeds: dill, cilantro, greek oregano, soapwort, toothache plant, white swan echinacea, echinacea tennesseensis, bee balm "violet queen", agastache "golden jubilee", variegated society garlic, lime basil, lemon balm, and feverfew "selma star"
    other: dried lavender petals (aroma therapy), bay leaves (cooking), and Celestial Seasonings Herbal Tea (10 teabags EACH of "chai chocolate caramel enchantment" and peppermint)
    #5) Dill, sweet basil, chamomile, chives, organic lavender, curled parsley, rosemary (cutting) and probably add more.

#6) Bee Balm (red or purple), Chives, Lavender 'Hidcote', Lemon Balm, Pineapple Mint, Purple Ruffled Basil, Selfheal- Prunella vulgaris, Silver-edged Thyme, Yarrow 'Cerise Queen', Seeds: Curly Leaf Parsley, Feverfew, Mammoth Dill, Sweet Basil

#7) Chocolate mint, lemon balm, garlic chives, lavender, lemon thyme, red beebalm, purple beebalm.
    Seeds, Echinacea-Big sky sundown, calendula mix, Parsley-dk. green italian, dill, and copper fennel. Chamomile and cat mint. Plus some surprises.

#8) Sweet Basil, Italian Large Leaf Basil, Garlic Chives, Parsley, Arulular. crochet dish rags and a Lavender sachet! Surprises all around!

• aliciay
    14 years ago

Yay! I pick #2.

• smitties
    14 years ago

Ok, looks like it is my turn. I will choose #1.

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

Hmmmmm... Ill have to go with box #3!
    ~Laura

• amelia_pepper_lady
    14 years ago

Box # 5

• suecirish
    14 years ago

Oh, it's my turn already. This is going fast!
    Well, I really need a chamomile plant because my seeds didn't germinate and its kinda late to start again. So, I'll take #7 and hope the add-on chamomile is a plant. Then I don't have to steal #5.

• nataliexoxo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

looks like it's my turn- i'd like #4

lanaw is next to pick or steal.

• lanaw
    14 years ago

I will pick Box #6 there are several I would like too but since I can't pick more than one that's the one I'll start with, there are several plants I don't have. Next!!!

• maps31
    14 years ago

oh boy oh boy oh boy
    I pick box #4
    I am allowed to steal and the thing can be stolen once right?
    I have the need to seed!
    Maryann
    maps31
    very North central (near Mt. Shasta). CA

• nataliexoxo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i will take #8 then.

OK everyone has a box now. only 1 steal. not bad.
    (too bad it was my pick that was stolen lol)

can everyone pm me today with your addresses and i will pass them out (and the g/w member name) to the senders so we can start to ship boxes. remember if there is a delay sending the boxes you will have to tell the person you are sending the box to so they are aware.

this was fun!! i will deff try to set up another in the fall!

• suecirish
    14 years ago

Nice job, Natalie!

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

Nicely done and so quickly! Im honored my box was loved enough to be stolen, too. Maryann, email coming your way!
    ~Laura

• smitties
    14 years ago

Wow, that went fast. Good job on the quick work everyone. An email is headed your way Natalie and thanks. This was fun. Margo

• amelia_pepper_lady
    14 years ago

Great job, Natalie!

• smitties
    14 years ago

Received my plants and cuttings from Natalie today. The post office made a mess of the box and the heat was a bit unkind to the cuttings. I am hoping water will make them all happy again. In this case, priority mail might have been a better option for the cuttings as it took the silly Post Office a while to get the box to me.

Thank you Natalie. I am looking forward to getting these cuttings rooted and in the garden. I must say the box smelled wonderful. My husband remarked about it and his smelling is not the best due to allergies and a couple of nasal surgeries.

I had a good time with this swap and will watch for the one you hope to do again in the fall.

I have been in contact with Sue and will be getting her box off to her on Saturday. Smitties

• smitties
    14 years ago

My box is on the way to Sue. It should be there by Monday. I packed it full Sue so hopefully you will enjoy the contents. The box sure was giving off an aroma while in line. Made me wish I had eaten lunch before I left.

Natalie, most of the plants have perked up. I am keeping a daily check on them and changing water so I can get them in soil when the roots emerge. So far, so good.

• maps31
    14 years ago

recieved my box!!
    :-D
    Thanks Laura!

Thanks Natalie!

• suecirish
    14 years ago

I got my box from smitties (Margo) today. It was absolutely fantastic. Lots of goodies and nice fresh healthy plants. Thanks so much! :o)

My box is on the way to lanaw now. Hope you like it, Lana!

Thanks Natalie for a great swap.

• lanaw
    14 years ago

I received my box from Sue, all arrived in great shape. Had a great time doing this swap. Thanks!

• amelia_pepper_lady
    14 years ago

I put my box to Laura (lilangel181) in the mail today. Being late may have been an advantage as our weather is much cooler right now. Plants have a better chance at survival in the mail!