Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snboyken

new: houseplant swap iii

snboyken
17 years ago

About to finished up Houseplant Swap II and I have decided to host round III. I will again take names, addresses and list of your haves/wants. Please note that if you list rare or expensive plants you most likely will not receive them. Please do not expect to. I will try to match everyone up with at least one plant on their list. However sometimes this is not possible, so please be open to new ideas as well.

Rules are listed below.

1. Do not sign up if you only want free plants, I will send you some free plants if you just ask.

2. Minimum number of cuttings/plugs/starts/plants is 4 (this will allow some newbies to join as well) - you may send extras, small gifts if you want, this is completely optional and not a requirement. If you do send extra, please do not be upset if you don't receive extra in return from your buddy.

3. Sign ups will runs until June 27th and I will assign buddies on 28th prior to going on vacation for the weekend. To speed things up please send your haves to trade, wantes and mailing info on one email. Thanks.

4. Mailing date will be July 10th - can mail sooner if you want to. Just make sure ok with your buddy.

5. Post to forum when you pkg is mailed and when you receive.

If you have any questions that are not answered above, please email me. Thanks and hope to host another wonderful trade. Round 1 we had 6 buddies, round 2 we had 14. Hope to see another good turn out. The more the merrier.

Comments (90)

• sguanzon
    17 years ago

I received my wonderful box from snboyken today! I got prickly pear, green spider, jade pothos, brasil philo, purple WJ and Green WJ - everything was in wonderful shape. Thanks so much for this swap!

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

I received my box today, Thanks Snboyken!
    In the box was-
    Prickly pear cactus, green wandering jew, basket plant, green spider, marble queen, chinese evergreen.

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

does anyone have a varigated jade plant???? There are a couple different ones and they used to be very common. I've been looking all summer and can't find any.
    I did find a hanging one that I bought and can trade off pieces from. It seems to grow quickly.
    I posted this on House Plants but have not gotten any responses yet

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Hi Beth,
    I have a variegated jade. It's labeled as a 'species' plant. Send me your address (to my direct email, garden web emails get lost) and I'll send you a few rooted cuttings (I've had them growing in pots since January) and they are very slow growing. But, very well rooted. Is there anything else that you like? African violets? I have leaves of 'named' hybrid varieties. Or some hoya "Stripes" Curtsii (it's variegated too)-cuttings, string of beads (cuttings), string of hearts (cuttings). Let me know if your interested in any/all of them. I'll gladly send you a box this week. Don't worry about the postage- you've been my "Pal" in many swaps, and always send me such nice boxes!

Deb

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Deb thanks so much for your kind offer. I'll email you direct. BB

• number_1_angel
    17 years ago

Hi All Again!!
    UPDATE-- We are again at 100+ and have been since friday--We are supposed to have a break in the weather wednesday--I have everything ready and will mail out that morning--Sorry for the inconvience!!
    Jeanette

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

deba, the email posted here, dal763 does not work at all. tried it twice, not from GW but from my regular "Mailbox". I should have your email address but can't locate it right this minute. ( I do have snail mail but wanted to send you a message)
    Sharon Nell, hope you received your package..... if not it is either soup or pretzels by now.
    Jeanette, 100+ here too. Thunder rumbled last night but never got to here. What is supposed to be so great again about summer??? Somebody tell me because I can't figure it out. LOL, it's the AC&T for me for a while.

• snboyken
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I recieed a great box from beth_b_kodiak - haven't gotten them planted up yet, they are in great shape. I will post a detailed list later.

Current Status of swaps
    snboyken sent & Rec to squanzon; received from beth_b_kodiak (mld 7/25)
    snboyken sent & rec to debbya; receiving from veeja11
    veeja11 sending to snboyken; received from debbya (Rec 7/22)
    beth_b_kodiak sent and rec to snboyken (Mld 7/24); received from Aauntlissa26
    missspoiled25 sending to simplylisa; receiving from kboyette
    number_1_angel send to anutlissa26 7/31 mld); receiving from debbiedo7
    simplylisa sending to debbiedo7; receiving from missspoiled25
    debbya sent to veeja11 (rec); received from snboyken (7/29)
    auntlissa26 sending to beth_b_kodiak; receiving from number_1_angel
    squanzone sent to kboyette (rec 7/25); received from snboyken
    debbiedo7 sent & rec to number_1_angel; receiving from simplylisa.

Be sure to post if you have received or sent your pkg so we can get the status updated. Thanks.

• debbiedo7
    17 years ago

number_1_angel your package went out in the mail yesterday (Tuesday) it's hotter than all get out here so I hope everythings not too wilted when they arrive. I'll post the confirmation number later.
    Has anyone received their package yet? I just wondered what every one is getting. ;o)
    Debbie

• debbiedo7
    17 years ago

OK Jeanette your confirmation code is 03052710000152924793
    you should get it thursday or friday
    Debbie

Lisa I hope that you're feeling better now, I got close to having a heatstroke last week and luckily was able to catch it in time. The summer is to hot and I usually only go out in the morning or evening (bad because that's when the mosquitos like to go out & we just had 2 people die from the West Nile virus in the DFW area, I think 4 or 6 confirmed cases in the area this summer.
    Debbie

• number_1_angel
    17 years ago

Thanks for the 'heads-up' Debbie--I will start watching for the mailman!!

Melissa-auntlissa your box is going today--let me know when you get it--sorry it's so late -but temps were just too high to mail plants
    We've had a 20 degree drop in temp--still going to be 86--but I'll take that over 105 anyday!!:)
    Jeanette

• auntlissa
    17 years ago

Thanks for the update, Jeanette. I can't wait to get it and see what surprises are in store. I was starting to wonder if it'd been lost. It's been in the 80's here this week also. We did get rain a couple of days ago that was VERY much needed! I also saw on your profile that you have a bullie. Give Allie hugs from my Bullie babies :)
    Melissa

• debbiedo7
    17 years ago

Jeanette
    Label/Receipt Number: 0305 2710 0001 5292 4793

Your item was delivered at 3:11 pm on August 03, 2006

• number_1_angel
    17 years ago

Debbie!! I did get the box yesterday afternoon--and such nice plants!! The creeping charlie and the lambs ears were pretty wilted but everything else looked great--the creeping charlie did perk up over night--kind of worried about the lambs ear tho--
    I received--
    lambs ear
    spider plant
    pilea*
    burros tail
    golden pothos
    pink silver hoya*
    mother of thousands
    *-never had before!!!
    Thanks so much--it was worth the wait!!!!

Melissa--heads up --they are headed you way--and Alli says 'hi'right back--she's my 2nd and I am totally in love--shes 13 now-can hardly see or hear--but as long as she's glad to see me...she's a rescue--more later--hope you enjoy your box as much as I do mine
    Jeanette

• debbiedo7
    17 years ago

Jeanette,
    I'm glad you like all the plants. I just saw another type of mother of thousands on the internet a few days ago (gotta get one LOL). The pictures I sent of the 2 types that I sent to you are in actual my own - tho never had them bloom for me. If the lambs ear hasn't perked up by now take a sharp knife and make a little slice into the very bottom of the stems, that should allow them to get a drink of water while the bare roots recover. They are very thirsty plants - so I guess that I should of given it more water for it's journey. My hoya is in bloom right now - wow talk about a fragrance, at night it intesifies and I get wiffs of it through the house. (plant it into a small container as they like to be root bound to bloom, also they don't like to be moved around so once you find a place where it's happy keep it there.)
    ;o)
    Debbie

• auntlissa
    17 years ago

Jeanette,

Thanks for the package!!! I received it on Saturday. It had: coffee plant, china doll, 3 kinds of succulents, angelwing, pregnant onion, patio maple, and some plant markers. I may even be forgetting a thing or two. It was a GREAT package! I'm not sure how long the angelwing will last, but everything else looks fabulous.

We've had 4 rescued bullies and also know what a joy they can be. I wouldn't give them up for the world. My puppy is our first and the first one we've had that's not a rescue. He's a pretty good boy, but I think I'd forgotten how much of a handful they can be.

Thanks again!! it's nice to have some new green things coming in on these hot summer days.

Melissa

• number_1_angel
    17 years ago

Wow-that was quick!!! The angelwings will root in soil or water and are really hardy--I have them in direct sun on my deck--they should 'perk' up!! I agree--- bulldogs are a handful--even at 13!!
    Good luck with the plant's and your 'precious' babies!!
    Jeanette

• snboyken
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Current Status of swaps as of this morning
    snboyken sent & Rec to squanzon; received from beth_b_kodiak (mld 7/25)
    snboyken sent & rec to debbya; receiving from veeja11
    veeja11 sending to snboyken; received from debbya (Rec 7/22)
    beth_b_kodiak sent and rec to snboyken (Mld 7/24); received from Aauntlissa26
    number_1_angel send to anutlissa26 7/31 mld); received from debbiedo7
    debbya sent to veeja11 (rec); received from snboyken (7/29)
    auntlissa26 sent to beth_b_kodiak; received from number_1_angel
    squanzone sent to kboyette (rec 7/25); received from snboyken
    debbiedo7 sent & rec to number_1_angel; receiving from simplylisa.

Looks like only a couple left.

Simplylisa had a heat stroke and her box will be late going out. Keep her in your prayers.

Has anyone heard from missspoiled25, I emailed her Friday to see if she has sent/received her box however have not heard back. Hope all is okay.

Hope all have enjoyed, once I hear the status on the last couple, we go a round 5 if anyone is interested.

• debbiedo7
    17 years ago

Sharon,
    Yep I'm interested. Will it be round 4 or 5?

Is SimplyLisa back home now? I know you said she would get the box out Mon or Tues. I'm not in a great rush just wondering about it & how she is doing.

Jeanette if you are able to see this I am keeping you in my prayers. Get Well Soon ;o)
    Debbie

• sguanzon
    17 years ago

I'm interested in another round, let me know!

• number_1_angel
    17 years ago

I think I would like another round too!! Keep me updated!!

Hey Debbie--Thank you--cause I can use all the prayers directed my way that I can get--but I am fine ;)
    We had a beautiful soaking rain yesterday--and it's sprinkling now--one more hot day --then cooler for a while-Thank you Lord!!
    Everyone enjoy your day!
    Jeanette

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Sharon Nell, I'm interested in another round too but prefer Sept and hope for a bit cooler weather. I'm going to try to start some babies fron my Rex begonias. Tried some last month but the leaves just shriveled up and died. I'll attempt another technique. Wish me luck.

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

I would love to join another round, but not until September (middle of the month) when things cool off a little. It's just too hot right now to ship anything fragile.

Deb

• debbiedo7
    17 years ago

Well Jeanette I'm keeping you in my prayers too. I meant to say SimplyLisa as she had the heatstroke. (but glad you're feeling good!!!!)

Speaking about RAIN we finally got a little on monday. WooHoo we sure needed it, wish it would have continued all week long as a slow drizzle.

How is the Lambs Ear doing? Did it perk up for you?
    Debbie

• number_1_angel
    17 years ago

Debbie--all the leaves but the ones on the ends have fallen off--so the plant looks really 'leggy' -but the small leaves look ok--can't pinch it back to make it bushy--cause then it would have no leaves--naked plant!!! Hahaha-I am anxious to see how this will turn out and will keep you updated ;) I have a feeling it's going to pull through!
    Thanks for keeping me in your prayers-I will accept any and all help!!! I will include you in mine as well!!
    I agree on the sept theme--it should cool off by then!!
    Jeanette

• debbiedo7
    17 years ago

Jeanette,
    I have been know to wack it to the ground when it starts to get too leggy & it bushes right out. If it doesn't start bushing on it's own then you can try that after the roots get a little more established. You'd be surprised at how fast it grows back too!
    Thanks I also appreciate all the prayers I can get. Last Sunday my pastor made a point of when things aren't going like you want - then stand back and say "God is in Control". I keep saying that & I know it's true.
    ;o)
    Debbie

• simplylisa
    17 years ago

Hello everyone, I just wanted to pop in and let everyone know how sorry I am for disappointing everyone. I have not forgotten anyone. All of my boxes and/or trades will be out by Monday. I will post numbers or e-mail you indivivduallllu as I send them. A few of you may have known what happened but Ifear that most did not. Mu dear sweet computer hopeless hubby tried to respond to any e-mails that went through but he also deleted every e-mail whether he had answered it or not so if you have sent me an e-mail regarding anything or even just to say hi in the last few weeks please resend it. For those of you that did not know, I collapsed while working in the garden. According to my doctor I had severely deleted myself through overwork and stress. I had been tryiong to make sure my oldest daughter;s wedding was perfect, along with helping organize and teaching at vacation bible school, not only at my church but also at my mothers and my sister;s. Along with caring for the normal everyday, a very active 4 year old, my other sisters 2 children (1year and 3 years old) and of course trying to save my struggling garden from this horrible 100+ degree heat. We have also been having some money problems that has caused me to really stress out and work extra hours at my AVON business to help make sure we had food on the table. All in all I didn't take care of myself, especially bad since I am an old, out of shape, fat woman. LOL I ended collapsing and was outside, unconscious a good 15-30 minutes before my son found me. I ended up in the hospital for a severe heat stroke, dehydration and a dangerous drop in my blood pressure, caused by the heat stroke. My doctot under protest, she wanted me to stay there much longer, released me Friday nght so that I could attend my daughter's wedding shower Friday night and her beautiful wedding Saturday. I am sorry that I have not posted sooner but her wedding and reception were outside and I probably should not have been out there in the heat. I was only able to really get out bed yesterday and I still feel very weak. I wanted to let you all know that you mean the world to me and I would never cheat any of you on purpose. I will be sending everyone their boxes and trades, it may be slow going because my doctor has warned me to take things very slowly. If you haven't heard from me, either through GardenWeb or e-mail about a box or a trade,by the end of next week please e-mail me and remind me, my doctor says I may have also had something called a mini stroke and my memory is not what it should be. Please bear with me and remember I love you all.

PS Debbiedo7, I am so sorry your box is so late. I promise you will get it soon. I have not recieved a July box either. Also regrettfully I will not be able to participate in the next RR. I am so sorry.

Hugs,
    Lisa & Kayla

• snboyken
    Original Author
    17 years ago

As far as I know the only outstanding swaps now are shown below.
    snboyken receiving from veeja11
    veeja11 sending to snboyken
    debbiedo7 receiving from simplylisa.

Has anyone heard from missspoiled25, I have emailed 4 times without any response.

Debbiedo7 - Simplylisa is mailing your pkg on Monday, thanks for being understanding.

Simplylisa - Praying for your speed recovery. Due to no contact from missspoiled25, I will get you a box together this weekend and mail on Monday,

Hope all enjoyed. I will start sign ups for a round 4 later today.

• debbiedo7
    17 years ago

Lisa,
    I can't imagine having all of that on your plate!
    A Wedding (Major in itself - I know - been there)
    3 Vacation Bible Schools. (1 would do me in)
    3 little ones to care for (lol I've gone crazy with 3 of my grands this summer)
    Financial stress
    and last but not least the stress of trying to keep you garden happy in all the heat.

I'm glad you're back home - Please garden in the early mornings and late evening when the sun isn't beating down on you. (just spray yourself for the mosquitoes)

I am excited to see what's comming my way but please take it slow, I agree with your doctor - Take it Slow. I'm sure that all the others that you have trades going with would agree with me.

I'm glad your daughters wedding went well & was beautiful. You'll have to share pictures. (when I did both of my daughters weddings I did the flowers, decorations, cake & everything in between - Very Stressful)

HERE'S A GOOD HINT FOR EVERYONE ABOUT MOSQUITOES:
    take a white plate, place a couple drops of lemon Joy dish soap and water on it. Place it (them) outside around the garden and patio. The mosquitoes are attracted to it and some will even die before landing near it. Won't take care of all of the nasty buggers but will take some of them out before they try to get you. (You can also spray your flowers and yard with a mixture of it - it won't hurt your plants but will get some bugs without poisons.

;o)
    Debbie

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Debbie,
    Thanks for the mosquito tip! I picked some tomatoes last night for 5 minutes and started getting bit so bad, that I had to come in. It was even lightly raining. I thought because of the rain, they would be hidden, boy was I wrong. I'm going to go buy a jug of joy and attach it to my hose, LOL.

Deb

• veeja11
    17 years ago

I hope to mail out this next week, I haven't been able to get to post office sorry I am so late. I will send my dog spike after me. sorry carol

• debbiedo7
    17 years ago

Hey Deb I just got this info on a remedy that's reported that works really well. Worth a try. I'll try it tommorrow to see if it works. The formula is:

What works for me: 1 cup of lemon dishsoap, 1 cup of lemon scented ammonia, top up with water in a 20 gallon hose end sprayer, and spray all over the perimeter of your yard. No 'skeeters here, lol!

• number_1_angel
    17 years ago

Oh Carol--you so funny!!! Spike will not hurt his mommy!!!
    Hugs to you--we have ALL been late before!!
    Jeanette

• debbiedo7
    17 years ago

Hi Lisa
    Just checking in to see if my package is in route.
    TY
    ;o) Debbie

• veeja11
    17 years ago

Queen of excuses here, I got a car today but couldn't find snboykens addy, please send it to me. now it will be next week when I send, sorry sharon, I think i rember your name, sharon nell boyken, but need your addy. spike bit me. hugs carol

• simplylisa
    17 years ago

Debbiedo7,

Please send me your addy to my e-mail of course. I went to put your box in the mail yesterday and could not find your addy. With everyone in and out when I was sick there is no telling where they put it. Your box will go out in the morning if I can get your address. So sorry about the delay. Loye you guys.

Lisa & Kayla

• debbiedo7
    17 years ago

Hi Lisa sent you an email
    Thanks,
    Debbie

• veeja11
    17 years ago

After being bitten twice by spike I finally got your box out today Sharon conf # is 03061070000251367249, hope they arrive in good shape, we had a high of 66 today no rain yet tho. sorry I am so late, I guess I'm not perfect after all. darn{{gwi:1249134}}

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Melissa, Just wanted to let you know that two of the AV leaves have nice roots now. I'll plant them in potting soil in a day or two. The vines have been doing fine. Thanks again.
    Now for some questions,
    About how long does it take to get a "plant" from the rooted leaf?
    And, is it OK to use the potting soil with the moisture holding additive for AV's? This has been great for my potted plants outdoors this summer but I'm not sure if it is OK for house plants.

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Hi Beth,
    I usually just start my av leaves in soil, I like using miracle grow coir soil. Sometimes I add a little extra perlite to the soil mix if I remember. I tried the water method, the roots usually get very long and thin. Soil roots are healthier, thicker. Babies usually appear with in 6-8 weeks. And can be seperated when the leaves are the size of a dime (or you feel comfortable handling them). Sometimes leaves continue to grow (after being planted). To produce babies faster..snip the tip of the leaf off- it puts the leaf in a produce or die mode and stunts the leaf-stops the leaf growth (of itself) then all the energy goes into producing the babies quickly. I should mention that I usually give the leaf at least two weeks to start producing roots, before I snip the tip. If any leaves ever look like they are ready to rot, cut off all brown/rotten parts, and dust with cinnamon. Cinnamon is a natural fungicide.
    If you ever want even more babies...cut the leaf totally in half, put down the top part (after dusting with cinnamon) and then plant the bottom part too.

Deb

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info Deb, you are just a font of information. I'm going to move The leaves that I got from Melissa into dirt today.
    The ones I got from you were all put into plain moist vermiculite. It seems they all have roots already. I used the "gentle tug" method to check. I started reading the African Violet forum.
    It appears that I am now hooked on the AV's and their relatives. I ordered a beginners collection from glass house works. I just know I'll be ordering more and then looking for trades so I can grow even more and more and.... Good thing my new house has a sun room that is quickly becomming a plant room.LOl

• veeja11
    17 years ago

Sharon conf # says you have your plants, i sure hope they are not on your porch hiding, please let me know if you have them thankyou carol

• snboyken
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I received my pkg last week from Veeja. Love the plants, thanks so much.

If you have not recieved a package, please let me know, I will be sending out make up boxes this week to close this swap out. Will also start round 4 soon.

Hope all enjoyed, sorry for my absence lately, I have been overwhelmed at work.

• simplylisa
    17 years ago

Debbie,
    Did you ever receive your box? It should have arrived one day last week. I have the conf. # around here somewhere. I am organizationally dysfunctional. LOL Please let me know if you still haven't and I will find the number so we can check on it. I hope everything arrived ok.

Hugs,
    Lisa

PS I have not received a box yet. Thanks.

• debbiedo7
    17 years ago

Lisa,
    Yes I did get the box. Sorry I forgot to post. I have all the AF leaves tucked into rooting medium, the wandering Jew too.I love the little string of hearts, it and the burro tail was kinda broken @ bruised, but I took the leaves and am trying to get them sprouted too.
    Thank You so much.
    I hope you're feeling better
    ;o)
    Debbie

• simplylisa
    17 years ago

debbie,
    Did you find a cloth bookmark? If not be sure and check the papaers before you throw them completely away. If you have already thrown it away let me know and I will make you another one and send it to you? The burros tail and string of hearts are very delicate. I almost didn't send them for fear they would not arrive in good shapr but then I figured it was at least worth the chance they would survive. I love them too much not to share. I am feeling better especially since the doctor switched my medicines around. But I am still trying to play catch up and take things slow which is driving me crazy when I have som much to do and so much else I want to add to the list. LOL Thanks for asking and make sure and let me know about the bookmark so I can get you a new one started if that one is lost.

Hugs,
    Lisa

• snboyken
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lisa, I am getting a box ready to send you this weekend. You should have by weekend. I hope you like it. I didn't have a whole lot from your list. Have a great Holiday weekend.

• simplylisa
    17 years ago

Sharon,
    Thank you so much. You are so sweet. As for my list, it is a little outdated and I'm still learning about all the wonderful plants out there so there are many I would love that aren't on my list and plenty I am sure that I don't even know about yet. I think you are awesome and I trust you wonderful taste and judgement. I am sure I will love everything you send. Your an angel.

Hugs,
    Lisa

• debbiedo7
    17 years ago

Lisa,
    Oh Yes it is a beautiful bookmark with the watering can & birdhouse. You did a grest job at cross stitching it.
    Thank You
    Debbie

• snboyken
    Original Author
    17 years ago

simplylisa - your makeup box from this robin went in the mail today. hope you like it. This concludes this robin.