Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hazelnutbunny

Sharing June Pictures ~ Part 2

hazelnutbunny
15 years ago

The other thread is taking some time to load, so I thought I'd go ahead and post a new one.

Please keep sharing those pictures, everyone! It's great to see everyone's gardens! :O)

Pink Debutante & Karen Sue

Pink Glads

Unknown pink daylily

Red glad

Comments (34)

• diene
    15 years ago

Hello All;
    Here are some of today's flowers

purple anemone

poppies

purple rose

Iris and peonies

Hope everyone is having a great day.
    diene

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

Bunny I love the color of your nameless daylily!
    Diene your poppy's are so intensely red! Gorgeous!
    I hope everyone continues to post their garden photos. I learn something (or find something I want to try) every time I visit.
    Pontederia cordata

Daylily, Awesome Blossom

Petunia, Baby Duck

Daylily, Exotic Treasure

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

Daylilies seem to be the Number One flowers for the month of June. There are some beautiful ones posted! I also like the pictures of Baby Duck and the rose! Such fun to see what is growing in everyone's garden.
    Here are a few that I downloaded this evening. The first two I received in GardenWeb swaps. Sorry I don't always remember who sent what, but you can see they are happy here!

Double Bold One Daylily

Red Hibiscus - This one really struggled after the trip but you can see if is all settled in now!

Hyperion Daylily with Lantana behind it

Strawberry Candy Daylily
    {{gwi:1278269}}

A Daylily I bought here in South Carolina. I suspect I have the name written down somewhere. I need to tag it so I can remember.

Well, that's all for now.
    Jeanne

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jeanne~ That last one is gorgeous! The purples are so pretty. If you find the name, please let us know! I'm sure there will be more than a few of us that would like to find one! :O)

Poison~ Exotic treasure is beautiful! I love the bold & contrasting colors.

• diene
    15 years ago

The daylilies are extraordinary, I do not think I have anything that stunning but I do not have any at all yet. My peonies are starting and I have one early blooming lily.
    golden lily

Karl Rosenfield & Angel Face

Karl Rosenfield

Keep the pictures coming.
    diene

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

All these blooms are gorgeous! Diene, I am so happy that you posted Karl Rosenfeld. I received it in a trade from Nancy/Cedarnest last summer. It is a beauty. No buds on him yet. I wonder if I wait till next summer to see them?

• diene
    15 years ago

Hello Tracy;
    If you have foilage and no buds, you may have planted him too deep. They really do not like to be buried. I have a few peonies that did not bloom this year and all I did was take a pitchfork and get under the root and just lifted it a bit and then watered it. It may not help this year but it will in future years.
    By the way, my package called him Karl Rosenfield and he looked redder in the picture. The depth they suggested planting him at was 1".
    Enjoy.
    diene

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

You know, I bet it is planted too deeply, definitely deeper than an inch. I will grab my pitchfork and give it a lift and watering. It came bare root and dormant last summer, hmmm maybe it was fall since it was dormant and packaged in peat. Thanks for the advice!

• pat_6
    15 years ago

Diene's right that planting a Peony too deep will keep it from blooming (and increase the chance of crown/root rot). We have several dozen here. Ours are covered with 2 inches of soil, sometimes less. I think the recommended planting depth varies slightly according to how far north you are.

However, if your start isn't developed enough, it won't bloom yet. Also, in my experience, when you divide peonies they can take a year or two to settle in and bloom again. Once they do, you can leave them undisturbed for years and years!

They are a lovely sight to behold in the spring! I just wish the blooms lasted longer!

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

I found a "shopping list" from when I went to this daylily garden and bought the plant in the picture that I said was from South Carolina. It is Purple Pinwheel. Unfortunately a more solid purple that I have planted near this one was bought at the same time and even with the list, I can't figure out a name on that one! There is always a guessing game in my flower beds.
    Jeanne

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Melissa,
    That's a very pretty unknown pink daylily!

Alana,
    I can't wait for my Awesome Blossom to bloom. Exotic Treasure looks great.

Jeanne,
    The lantana looks massive.(I have little dinky ones, lol) It must be amazing looking in person. I love the hibiscus. It reminds me of Florida.

Diene,
    I planted Karl Rosenfield earlier this year. I can't wait until it get big enough to bloom!

Here's a few from my garden.
    Tracy, here's a gigantic clematis for you : )

Rose 'Fantin Latour'.
    {{gwi:214989}}

The entrance to the veggie garden.
    {{gwi:232197}}
    Remy

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Remy I can only say WOW! Do you have a spare bedroom? I am moving in! Your gardens are beautiful and that clematis is stunning! Your rose is beautiful and the entrance to the vegie garden is adorable.

Pat and Diene, I didn't get out there to do the repositioning today. I spent my day catching up on household chores that pile up. Always a treat. Blech! :o)

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Oh Gosh, I have sure been missing many things by not getting on the computer much last couple months. Everyone's gardens are doing beautifully. As mine are also, but don't know how to get the pics to come up on here. Hurt my knee a while back and haven't been able to do much of anything but take pics. Can't get down and dig or plant or much. Occasionally I pull a weed.
    Melissa-so glad the daylilies are blooming for you.
    Alana-I love the daylilies and the pontederia cordata is gorgeous! Maybe we can trade some seeds this fall!
    Everyone's gardens are just beautiful!
    Love to look at all the pics! Keep them coming! Melinda

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

YEY for Daylilies!
    This is Siloam Red Ruby

My daylilies are winding down already! I will soon only have my little rebloomers to enjoy.

Jeanne, fabulous Hibiscus, I think I have the same one on my porch! (By the way the candytuft and corriopsis seeds you send me this spring are blooming like mad! I especially love the burgundy/gold colours)

Remy, speechless! WOW that clematis!!!

Everyone's garden looks so wonderful!

• diene
    15 years ago

Hello Everyone;
    My clematis are really taking off, I know I should split them but they look so great and I am afraid of ruining them. I needed to make a new frame for them to grow on. I use twine and garden ornaments. I am posting some pictures of the first frame and todays upgrade.
    here is the box in early spring

Can you see the frame behind the mailbox

today's set up

close up

This will fill in by next week. They are starting to bloom now and will continue until late fall.
    diene

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Hi Diene, your clems are filling in beautifully. I have heard of only one grower that divides their clems and it seemed like an awful lot of work. They cut the vines back to about 1 foot in height as I remember and then they painstakingly removed the dirt from the crown and outer root ball. Then they would alternately rinse the roots and untangle them with chopsticks until you could see the separate crowns. Then they would begin the separation, rinsing and untwining as they progressed. If I remember right there was a post about it with a link in the clematis forum last summer. None of the experienced growers over there had ever attempted it but it sounded promising if you are willing to take the risk. I'm not sure what time of the year would be good for doing this except probably early spring after they have been cut back if they are type 3's.

I found the post and the link to the site that was referenced. I skimmed over it again and they are specifically referring to unhappy clems that are showing some type of decline after having been potted too long. Here it is:

Here is a link that might be useful: Dividing the crown

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

Siloam Red Ruby looks grand! Is that the reddest red daylily?
    Melinda, you will be welcome to some P. cordata, seeds or plants, this fall. If you have never grown it, I need to warn you that it proliferates along a pond margin very quickly.
    Diene, your Clematis look great! Having those bloom all summer must be wonderful.

Verbascum, Bride White

Verbena bonariensis

Water Lotus

Hillbilly Heart

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Poisondartfrog
    Siloam Red Ruby is one of two VERY red daylilies I bought, the other is Assirian Chariot the colour and form are similar but the size is drastically different. the Siloam lily is petite, maybe 2' tall when blooming, Assirian Chariot is in the 30-36" range.

I love your verbena! I planted this type this for the first time year and am waiting for the bloom now, does it bloom all season? Verbenas and Lantana are staples here in the heat of summer! 3 of my lantanas survived the winter and are flowering now.

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Again more beautiful pics! Alana, thanks for the offer, I am sure I will take you up on it! And your hillbilly heart daylily is gorgeous! Along with everyone else's flowers! You all have some beautiful things!
    Have a great day! Melinda

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

here is a link to my June photos

I agree with Melinda that Hillbilly heart is gorgeous! (that being said I never met a daylily I didn't like) maybe that applies to all lilies.

Frances

Here is a link that might be useful: June Photos

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Gorgeous! Makes me want to go get my camera fixed...

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's Rowdy Roy, a mini rose I got this year. I think I've shown him before, but this is a better picture.

This little guy was on my doorjam this morning. I thought he was cute. All closed up, he reminded me of a jet plane.
    Opened up, he's got some pretty colors!

{{gwi:1278295}}
    {{gwi:1278297}}

• diene
    15 years ago

Hello Frances;
    Your pictures are wonderful. Thanks. HNB that moth is gorgeous. diene

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

Love the moth, Bunny.
    Francis, thanks for sharing your album. Those are great!

• diene
    15 years ago

Hello All;
    I have seen "eyes" on a luna moth before so I googled for more info. This was the first thing I found.

"The colors and patterns of wings also are important for defense against predators. Some moths have spots on their wings that appear to be eyes of an owl or other large animal. If a moth with eye-spots is threatened by a bird, it can flash its wings to scare away this predator. Some butterflies have color patterns that resemble heads at the tips of their wings. If the predator strikes at this false head, the butterfly is able to escape more easily."
    Then this link so some other "eye" moths

http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef008.asp

nature is fascinating, isn't it?
    diene

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

Gorgeous flowers everyone! Love the moth also, Bunny!

Here is just a few of my blooms.

Iris 'Glowing Smile'

Shrub Rose

Peony noid

Geranium white

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nature is awesome, Diene! Thank you for sharing that information!

Allium with Chocolate Mocha DL (left) and Siloam Royalty (right) This bed is looking empty, as I'm slowly redoing it & making room for a pond.

Adora & her pink Gerber Daisy
    {{gwi:1278309}}

Elijah & Adora

{{gwi:1278313}}

Would you believe that Elijah is my only "indian" baby? LOL Somehow, the other 4 kiddos got their daddy's Scottish/Swedish blue eyes & pale skin! I'm hoping the new little one looks like me.....Elijah is the only one I can pass off as mine! :O)

• pat_6
    15 years ago

Daylily "Barbara Mitchell" is blooming here this morning. Instead of putting the picture in the post, I'm adding a link below. (I wanted to leave the photo large, so that you can see the water droplets, without slowing down the load time.)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1278244}}

• wynative
    15 years ago

Beautiful DayLilys!!! My 'ditch' lilys have buds although none of the others do yet. About a month more... I must be patient :(

Burgandy Galardia's
    {{gwi:1278316}}

Black Eyed Susan Vine
    {{gwi:1278319}}

The first Morning Glory bloom of 2008 ~ Chocolate!
    {{gwi:1278323}}
    Only about 6" tall and the bloom is so big it is pulling the plant down!

Have a great weekend!
    Marie

• galium
    15 years ago

Melissa-Your children are adorable.

Karen-I really like the Iris 'Glowing Smile'.

Denie-I'm thinking about doing something around my mail box too. I don't have a lot of room for a large bed. It'll be just one large plant behind the box. Your's is lovely.

I took these pic's yesterday:
    Daylily 'Pat Garrity'

Daylily 'Leebea Orange Crush'

Daylily 'Stir The Embers'

Asclepias 'Hello Yellow'

Keep sharing those pics,
    Mariann

• pat_6
    15 years ago

Here are some more things growing in my gardens...
    {{gwi:1278331}}
    {{gwi:1278332}}
    {{gwi:1278333}}
    {{gwi:1278334}}
    {{gwi:1278335}}
    {{gwi:1278336}}
    {{gwi:1278337}}

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Beautiful daylilies!
    Pat, that picture of your kitty is cute! :O)

Tiger Lily

Fairytale Pink

Stargazer

Unknown red

• pat_6
    15 years ago

All of these pictures are beautiful! I love coming to this thread, except for the fact that it makes me want to add all of YOUR flowers to my garden too! LOL!

Melissa, Thanks for the comment about our Emma. Here are 2 more photos (last ones, I promise!) that I took of her yesterday:

This is the strangest one. I was in the hammock and she was on a limb over my head looking down at me.

{{gwi:1278342}}

And this one is my favorite... (For those of you who don't have them, that ugly brown thing on the tree at the bottom of the picture is a cicada shell. Yuck! I guess I should crop that out.)

{{gwi:1278344}}

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Geesh, it's been awhile since looking at this post, lots of great new pics! I really love seeing them all.

Tracy,
    Thanks so much! : )

Frances,
    Again Thanks! Your daylily is a gorgeous red.

Diene,
    I love the progression pics. It must look wonderful now with the blooms.

Melissa,
    Cool moth photos. I have such trouble getting pics like that. They always move on me. Your kids are adorable.
    Nice lilies.

Kathy,
    I love the peony!

Pat,
    I just got B. Mitchell in a swap. You've got me looking forward to seeing it bloom. The pic of your cat upside down in my favorite.

Marie,
    Lucky you a MG already! I have a couple Black-eyed Susan vines in a pot, but I'm still waiting on blooms for that too.

Mariann,
    Pat Garrity is very striking.
    Remy