Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boring24

OBF Picture thread

Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
15 years ago

Okay, for those of you needing to post before and after pictures here's the spot. We all love to see photos so please post even if you're not in the before/after contest.

Theresa

Comments (78)

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Jeanne~ Our church has a cubby hole like that alont the front, and what they've done is planted a dogwood tree in the middle (they don't get very large, if you prune them) with lots of hosta, lantana and smaller annuals around the base. Our neighbors have a similar spot, but they've used a japanese maple in theirs, and made a rock garden around it.

I think that would be a gorgeous corner for a bench or some pretty iron chairs...under a small tree (you could even use a dwarf fruit tree, they only get 6-8 ft tall, depending on variety!). It would give just the right amount of shade. Another option would be column style apple trees. They only get 6-8 ft tall, but grow no wider than 1-2". We had several at our old duplex, I lined the walkway with them, and they were the perfect size for that. You could make a garden around the base of them, with blueberries, strawberries or other edibles...and still have plenty of room for your azaleas & verbena! (and maybe a bench or chair, lol!)

• pat_6
    15 years ago

Melissa - How about Knockout Shrub Roses (since you like roses and dh wants something that's loaded with flowers)instead of Hydrangeas? Would they get enough sun? If you selected a variety with a little fragrance that would be a nice addition to the area. (I saw KO Shrubs at Lowe's here a few weeks ago reduced to about $5 each.)

I like Azaleas but here they are deciduous and grow a bit "leggy." The ones I planted in my side garden do have an outstanding fragrance for about 2 weeks each spring.

Vic - I know that starting over is hard but you have so much to work with! And, as others said, "Wow! What a view!" BTW, I think that "one area at a time" approach is the way to go... Maybe the first thing you see when you come home?

Susie - What a terrific difference you've made on your project. It's looking great!

Everyone - Thanks for the comments about my photoshop work. The picture of my proposed house transformation is actually the culmination of a few years of consideration. We wanted to update the house but we didn't really need more living space. (We do truly need the garage/storage though.) Of course, finances have been a big consideration every step of the way. That's why DH and I are doing so much of the work ourselves.

Jeanne - I had to smile when I read where you wrote that I'm the "perfect planner." It's true. I'm a great planner! Now if only I could get someone to carry out all of my wishes! LOL!

Theresa - Your pool (and garden) is beautiful. The picture of the sparkling water made be long to jump in and cool off! I so wish our pool was ready to fill. It won't be long now but it's been over 90 every day for about 2 weeks (topped 100 three times). I can hardly wait.

I'm on my laptop and the battery is about gone. If I ignored anyone, it wasn't on purpose. Pat

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

Melissa -
    I think you may be onto something there... I had not thought about planting something like a tree a bit farther away from the house. (Can't go too far away because I have a sidewalk about 7-8 feet in front of the area I pictured.) However, it would give the impression of something filling in that blank space where there is all brick. I have a viburnum that I added just a bit farther down the walkway and it is evergreen, only about 3 1/2 feet tall now. It blooms more towards winter so I was happy with that choice for that spot. My other thought is to do something up against the house that will be evergreen (maybe camellias) and I could cut it in a topiary shape - or maybe even two that could be planted on each side of the lemon verbena and just trim them so that there is space for the lemon verbena in the center. I have always wanted to try topiary. My camellias grow very slowly so not sure they would make much impact for a long time. I thought about espalier, but doubt that we want nails in the brick. Not sure I could create an espalier anyway and if I went with most types of fruit trees, it would be too much spraying involved. I don't like to spray my plants. Also thinking that some of that yellow gold lantana might really add some color to the corners. It will not be there in the winter though so it won't help the "blahs" that area has in the winter time. I've tried plumbago before in another sunny garden, Theresa, and I couldn't keep in alive. It is very pretty so I thought it would look great in the area near my blue windmill. The longer I garden, I think the trick to gardening is to place the right plant in the location and then they grow with no problem whatsoever.
    Probably should have talked about size - that recessed area is only about 12 feet across and my bed in that area is maybe 18 inches deep at the most. Not very big. The soil is very hard to dig there and when we had dogs that were digging holes in that area years ago we put in black plastic and chicken wire to discourage them from digging, so for enriching the soil, it won't be easy getting through all that. Definitely will be a fall/winter project, but it would be fun to come up with an idea now. I have a ton of basil that I grew from seeds so I may put in a solid row of basil in front of the plants for now. They are annuals and I need a place to put them. They will love full sun.
    Jeanne

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Jeanne, what about a bench that has an arbor or a trellis? Here's one with a planter box in it so no soil amending! (if I can get the pic on)........nope, but I put a link. Then you could try diff. annuals even. Until you decide what you like. Or maybe some tall grasses (I love grasses)

Theresa, love your pics!

Melissa, Pat did a wonderful job on your porch! If only it were that easy! I can't believe you would be up for a major project this summer! If I were you I think I would get a couple potted plants with lots of color, and plan for next yr when you have a little more energy, but even less time with a newborn!

I am going to concentrate on the front of the house (well, mostly!) I did just find out (thanks to some GW's) that we can get free compost from the landfill, and they have shredded bark and wood chips also. I got my first load of compost yesterday! About 10 more and I should be good! I really need to get something up for a wind block on the right (west) side, the wind gets so strong it blew the iris I planted right over! I'm debating btwn tall grasses or a fence with a vine type something growing on it. We already have the posts and some farm fence from the back, but I think no matter what I do it will take some time before they get established. Oh, and I found this "pretty" little flower growing EVERYWHERE that I thought might be a wild morning glory, after checking the internet I found out I am infested with BINDWEED! And I thought the Burdock was bad!

Off to work in the yard, it's going to be a beautiful day here.

Vic

Here is a link that might be useful: trellis

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Vic, you are right about that. I went outside yesterday, thinking it would be a perfect time to move some daylilies that I need to thin out...but after getting out there, and looking at the amount of work that needed to be done....WOW, I told myself...NO WAY. There just wasn't any way I could have even attempted that. I got wore out just planting the 3 iris that Annie sent me! LOL

Hubby will work on the flower bed, if I ask him nicely. :O) He is the one that did nearly all of the work putting the beds in last spring, and he enjoyed it. I've been having him plant flowers as I get them, he just finished a small spot of iris for me a week or so ago. He loves to garden as much as I do, I think. But he's more of the "if it ain't edible, it ain't worth growing" type. SO...at least I've got an excuse for all the daylilies & roses I've got growing! :O) And all my herbs, too. LOL

Hubby & I were looking over the pictures in this thread, and he was VERY impressed with Miss Susie's work!
    He also said..."WOW! A blank canvas! How exciting!" when he saw Vic's yard. He was already making plans for everything! LOL We both agreed that a blank canvas was better than trying to fix what someone else did. :O) He thought you are incredibly lucky, Vic! (but then, HE is not the one doing the work, eh??)

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know what you mean, Melissa. A blank canvas offers so much potential. Vic, if I were you I would spend this summer just getting things cleaned up while you think about all the things you want to do with your place. Think about where all the "bones" will go and where you want beds and borders to wander. That gives you all summer and winter to come up with a great plan! Or maybe you already have a plan? If so, let us know what you're planning!
    Theresa

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

{{gwi:1090368}}{{gwi:382612}}

I've been lurking here and decided to post my before and my almost after pics. This is a peice of town owned land that I see from my picture window. I had already cleaned out all the brush before taking the before pictures.
    This is as of Sunday. I used cardboerd and lots of mulch because the weeds are so bad over here.

• earthlydelights
    15 years ago

hi everyone

the pix are great. theresa, your pool i'm drooling over. i got a pool this year, nothing fancy until i decide if i want to make the committment. i also have to reconfigure flower beds and what not. and your peonies are now in bloom? my bloom time is gone and then there is always a terrible rain storm that destroys them not long after they burst. every year the same thing. every year i swear i'm going to put a tarp up or old umbrellas to protect them longer. but this year i wised up and cut so many bouquets and shared them - they were just too gorgeous and what a thrill they are to everyone.

sue, are you putting in a second pond? i remember last year or so when you worked on one and i remember it being just as nice. i have an area i am considering for one, but the thought is still in my head.

jeanne, what about a weeping cherry or a japanese maple or a dogwood plating in the middle right about where you begin to see the shadow.

melissa,

ishareflowers - WOW what a great thing you did. pretty up an otherwise neglected area, even if the first thought was your view, so many others can appreciate it as well. what did you plant? did you have to get a permit or permission, or did you just do it? i'd love to get my hands on some of the plantings in the town i live in, but everything is so political it's hard to break through their wall.

looking forward to seeing more pix.

happy blooms,
    maryanne

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Maryanne,
    Thank you!, That piece of land is across the street from me. I'm the only house on the street and I was granted permission by the town to plant that area.Unfortunatley, I will be the only one to see it unless I have visitors. The fence that you see belongs to a woman on another street, she owns a double lot. It is a very large piece of property but the land behind the fence is her wayyy back yard. I can barely see her house from mine but her back yard is across the street from me. I thank god that she has a fence because her yard is severly neglected!
    I planted everything and anything over there, theres butterfly bush, iris,daylillies,gaillardias,coreopsis,sedum,grasses,dianthus,tulips,black eyed susans,hosta,hydrangeas,creeping jenny,lupines,eunymonies "bad spelling>, foxglove, broom and many more that I just cant think of right now.
    I put a total of 31 plants in there and I still have a ton of planting to do. I went to lowes and bought 12 gallon sized plants for $12! I returned a few days later and bought another 18 gallon sized plants for $85. I only shopped the sale rack and I came home with some great plants that just needed watering, they are looking great now!
    I'll post more pics as I continue down the road, I've only done the first 35 feet and the road is over 200 feet long.

Have a great day

• skohler
    15 years ago

No new pond yet this is the same one as last year just had to many tall plants taken over & I have not tried to remove them & just keep shorter ones theres.

I have to get my mulch yet but that is next month :)
    nice cool day so out to the gardens have a great day

susie

• wynative
    15 years ago

I finally have made my decision on where I am going to put my Name Garden ~ all over the place! LOL Susie sent me some really lovely plants for both sun & shade. In doing that she helped me make up my mind on where to put things.

This is the raised bed that I had origanally thought to put everything in.
    {{gwi:1278696}}
    Then I changed my mind and put 25 tomato plants there instead. They are there but they are pretty small and I don't have all the cages up yet.
    {{gwi:1278697}}
    Most of the tomatoes are expermental so I am expermenting! I used manure from one of the correl's, top soil from a corn field, some sand & 3 different types of bagged garden/potting soils. 10 of them are in the old mineral tubs and the rest in the ground. In front of them are daylilys, sedum, daisy's and a few other lilys but there is plenty of room left over. I don't want to dig any more of the prairie up so I plan to put in a few chili peppers so that I can make salsa ~ a must for me and the kids! I ususally have a real veggy garden but was told that wouldn't be an option this year where it has been for the last 6 :(

Next to the tomatoes I plan to put a few sun loving plants - there is already a purple butterfly shrub, maximillion sunflowers & 8 tree lilys from last year.
    {{gwi:1278698}}

This is the ONLY shade I have (about 4 square feet on the left and just a thin strip on the right) and I have been wanting to cover up the west side of my 'tub' and fill in the north side of my house for awhile. I put up the cattle wire panel as an arch before I took the picture. I am going to put clematis on the house side and morning glorys for the other. The kitty's name is Vixen and a real sweety! She loves helping me garden - okay she is mostly in the way but she try's LOL
    {{gwi:1278700}}

I have lots of room behind my house but the prairie grass is everywhere and is going to take ALOT of work to get under control!
    {{gwi:1278702}}
    I only have a push mower but I plan to tackle it this coming weekend and just dig it up a little at a time as I need it.

Of course not all the plants will have family names but to help start the sun garden I have purchased from eBay some Iris: MegWitch, Peggy Sue, Jean Marie & Deveta Marie and a few Daylilys: Dixie Chick, Dixie Rooster, Sweet Marie & Bertie Ferris. I know that I have more 'Marie' plants but they are easier to find and it is 'my' garden. :)

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Ishareflowers, that is very nice! Will you come do the area down my driveway?! Right now it is rows of sagebrush!

Marie, looks like I'm not the only one that will be busy this yr! It also looks like you have some very nice views too!
    I love that idea with the cattle fence arch, and you can make it any size you want. Hmmmm.......I might have to steal your idea, I just happen to have a roll of that fence!
    I have an area of prairie grass too, and am thinking of mixing in some other grasses and tall flowers and see what it looks like. I know what you mean about digging it out!

I started on the front of the house, I'm not digging out the dirt it is too hard, and there is so much bindweed in there that if I rototil it that will just make it spread like crazy! I'm doing what I call the "lazy way"! Using all my moving boxes as weed block with a thick layer of compost on top, then where I want plants I'm digging down and adding compost, then I will put a thick layer of mulch on top. Hopefully in a few years it will work it's way down, at least that is what I've read in some of the forums!
    This is what I've got done so far, but ran out of compost and rock!

I want to put some iris or something along the house to cover up the badly needed paint job!

I need something for the porch rail, maybe a small vine type plant, or a window box planter with trailing plants.

I really need something along the fence for a wind block! I was thinking some tall grasses, I just got some pampas grass that I thought would look good, or a trellis like Maries that you would go through to get to the future garden that will be over on the side of the house.

Any ideas Ladies???
    I tried to make these pics smaller, but it just isn't working!

Off to get more compost before it gets too hot, it got up to 93 yesterday!

Vic

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I like the idea of the window box there. It is off to a great start. Sure beats the digging!:)
    -T

• amybabyboy3
    15 years ago

Vic,
    It looks great already, You are going to have it looking beautiful. Take care, Amy

• skohler
    15 years ago

MARIE & VIC I HAVE LOADS OF YELLOW FLAG IRISES YOUR WELCOME TO HAVE ALSO OTHER IRISES JUST PAY THE POSTAGE & THEY ARE YOURS .

POLANTER BOX OVER THE DECK WOULD BE NICE JUST REMEMBER MORNING GLORIES ARE RESEEDERS & WILL DROP SEEDS INTO YOUR BEDS BELOW & CAN TAKE OVER :(

ALL PLANTS TAKE TIME TO MATURE & FILL IN BUT THEY WILL :)
    WELL YOU ALL KEEP THE PICTURES COMING i WILL CHECK BACK IN A COUPLE DAYS TOMORROW IS MY EYE SURGERY :))
    SO BLIND IN ONE & CAN SEE OUT THE OTHER :) JOKING :)))

SUSIE

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Susie, that would be GREAT! Send me your addy and I will get postage out to you, no rush! I want you to recover from your surgery first! Thanks a Bunch!
    Vic

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Here is what I got finished this afternoon. It doesn't look like much, but next summer I'll hopefully see some improvement, at least!

I went with a pink theme for the front porch area, since I've already got one pink rose & Marie sent me 2 more. I planted the pink roses from Marie in the middle, and planted some pink daylilies (dragon's eye, strawberry candy, barbara mitchel, pink debutante, karen sue...and a few others..) on either side of them. (had to move them from another bed) There are pink glads closest to the steps, and stargazer lilies beside those.
    I also found some volunteer hosta (I've been trying to get them out of my flower beds for a year now!) & I put those in front of the roses. I'll fill in the very front with some annuals, but for now....I'm going to let everything settle in and see how it looks in a week or so.
    I'm also too tired to even contemplate doing more yard work for awhile! LOL

{{gwi:1278706}}

{{gwi:1278707}}

Since the roses are climbers, I'm going to train them to grow horizontal...along the front edge of the porch, so they'll fill in behind the daylilies. I've got some growing like that on another side of the house, and they seem to do better that way.

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

Melissa,
    You sure did work hard! I think your idea for the pink beds is great. You made use of some plants that you already have and it will be special to greet that new baby girl when she arrives.
    I am not in this contest but wanted to thank everyone for suggestions. I think I came home with just the right thing to fill in that spot. It's a Variegated Pittosporum. It is evergreen and will tolerate lots of sun. It can cope with being a bit dry. I will likely have to move the lemon verbana just a bit forward - but hopefully not too much. I am going to keep the pittosprum trimmed so it will get some height and not too wide. Might be lots of trimming, but at least it doesn't have thorns and looks friendly enough to deal with. LOL Best of all, it comes from the garden of a friend so I will love to include it in my garden... the plants I get from others always remind me of them.
    I also walked through the plant section in Wal-mart today and came home with some plants that I am very happy with. Two of the three were marked down 50%. (Guess they are tired of watering everything, too.) The marked down ones are a tri-color Moses in the Cradle and a Mandevilla called Red Riding Hood Vine. Then I also bought a Pineapple Sage which will replace the one(s) I had that did not come back up this year.
    So, a good plant day! I had hoped to drive over to Park Seed one day this week while the plants were on sale, but it has been so hot, I think I will just stay here closer to home.
    I'll post a picture of my area once I get the pittosporum in the ground. I planted the row of basil in front of the other plants during the week. Moved them on a sunny day in the 90s and they didn't seem to mind a bit. Gotta love plants with that attitude. (Of course, I watered them 3-4 times that day... definitely took pity on them.)
    Jeanne

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Theresa,
    The pool and surrounding area looks amazing! The pic of Maverick is too cute.

Jeanne,
    Your pic of your dog's face is so perfect. He looks so happy.
    Melissa's small tree idea for the optical illusion is a great idea. Vic's idea for a garden object or trellis is good too. With either idea you don't need to worry about the lemon verbena.

Ishare,
    That's great the town let you fix up the property!

Maryanne,
    Good to see you post! I'm glad you got and gave some enjoyment out of your peonies. Everytime someone mentions umbrellas in the garden, I think of you : )

Marie,
    You are tackling a lot! The raised bed is a perfect spot for the tomatoes. With the flowers going around it, you are going to have a very lovely potager.
    I can't imagine trying to conquer that grass!

Vic,
    It is looking so much better already. Yes, dumping good stuff on top will improve the soil underneath.

Melissa,
    Wow, you got all that planted, wonderful!
    Remy

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Thanks, ya'll! I am now on the lookout for some pink clematis to go on either side of the front steps. I think it'll look good climbing up the pillars, and with the pink roses growing along the front.

Remy~ That purple clematis on the other picture thread? How long did that take to fill in that much? I'm sure it's years....but it's really gorgeous, so I thought I'd give them a try.

• wynative
    15 years ago

Melissa,

Its looking very nice! I like your idea of having the roses grow horizonal - that will look neat. Did you get a 'pink' clematis in the first box? I bought you a pink one and me a purple. If it didn't get there, I better do another search to see what else didn't make it into your box.

I planted my new purple one & the 2 I had on the south side, that were not doing well at all - on the north east corner of my house. The purple one wasn't looking very good, crunchy brown leaves but the roots are healthy and is starting to green up - the others, a red and a pink & white, I think were getting to hot where they were and should do much better now.

Vic,
    Great idea for your old boxes! The cattle panel is pretty stiff wire, this one is 16'($20?) and I would recommend help when you bend it over on your posts! I had quite a time by myself :) I finally tied one corner at a time but it all worked in the end LOL It takes a while but I have Peony's along the east side of my house - in bloom now and beautiful! To help fill in the bare spots as they are only 4 years old and not very full, I put in Canna's, a few Hollyhocks (mini's & regular) and different annuals each year.

Remy,
    Yes, the grass is a challenge but I get a great work out with my shovel! LOL I would love to have some of your yellow Iris :) Not sure if I have your address - could you send it ? Thanks!

I had to plant my cabbage in the little space by the tomatoes - not enough room with the iris as the dianthus is filling in very nicely. There is room left for a couple of the iris & DL that Susie sent and the soil is almost ready to put in the hostas. I would have finished it last night but some nasty weather was threating - softball size hail and a very impressive wind shear about 1/2 mile to the east of us. Thankfully we didn't get hit with the bad stuff and it rained about 2/10" :)

Marie

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Melissa, you sure got a lot done! You've got more energy than I did when I was pregnant! Esp. considering you have 5 others to chase around also. It's looking great, I like the idea of the roses also, and clematis up the porch would be really nice! I looked at the pic of Remy's on the other thread, they are just beautiful!!

I got more done yesterday, it was beautiful outside, partly cloudy, a nice breeze, and in the 80's. Of course I put sunscreen on Zack, but not me, and I had a backless halter on Ouch! I am paying for that! The sun is definately more intense out here than back in MI! It was too hot to do anything outside today, and even with a shirt on it felt like the my back was on fire with the sun on it!

Any ideas on a fast growing vine???? I want to put one up on the dog kennel to give them more shade and block there view of the rabbits running around in the yard, they bark at them constantly! The kennel is 10x40 ft. so I have a lot to cover!

Also, is it too late to plant glads? I just got some in a house plant swap and didn't know if I could still plant them.

Vic

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Melissa,
    I'm trying to remember how old the clematis is. I know I a clematis at a house in 92/93 because of the route I took to work then. It of course had to of taken me a bit to figure out what it was, but it was before the computer so it had to of been planted in 94 or 95. It has been huge for a few years now though, lol. If you want a huge clematis like mine, you need to buy or trade for a viticella type cultivar, not a large flowered climber. Large flowered climbers are beautiful, but never seem to grow so large as a plant. You can also get the montana type or terniflora(Sweet Autumn) if you want a massive plant.

Marie,
    You meant you need Susie's address for the iris I think.
    Thank goodness the hail missed you! I can't imagine the damage that would cause. The hail I got here was bad enough.
    Remy

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

This is a 5 dollar clematis bought at walmart last year, it must like it's site because it's huge.

• wynative
    15 years ago

My little shade garden:
    {{gwi:1278709}}
    I know the sun is shining on it but that was the only way I could get a good picture :)
    and a close up of the center:
    {{gwi:1278710}}
    Instead of weed blocker I bought lawn bags at the dollar store. They are grey but with the wood chips you cant see them anyway.

I don't like the way this one turned out at all! I love the gerber daisy's, zinnia's and marigolds but I need different bricks/border around the butterfly bush. The rocks I moved from the pile that was in front of my new shade garden - not working for me.... I think I will try some white rocks (bagged kind) and put little 3/4 moon shaped bricks instead. The way the wind blows here, I need something heavy to hold the plastic down. I still have to put some Iris across the top, I think :)
    {{gwi:1278711}}

I poured these last year and tried putting them here:
    {{gwi:1278712}}
    Not crazy about this either... towards the top of the picture you can see the sand colored paving stones that I had to use since I couldn't find any more red ones - I sure hope I can find more red one's next year! This will work to keep me from having to step in the mud but it isn't very pretty.
    I mowed about 1/4 the back yard before the afternoon storm arrived on Sunday:
    {{gwi:1278713}}
    {{gwi:1278714}}

Seems like all I did was work this weekend but not much to show for it that I am happy with :(

BUT... happy news! Baby tomato!
    {{gwi:1278716}}

What did everone else do this weekend?
    Marie

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

I just realized I am designing/planting my brother's flower beds! I have some of the plants, but I'm waiting on a trade with plants for him to arrive this week. So unless the weather is whacky, I will get this done next week. I just need to remember to take pics before I start!

Marie,
    You accomplished a lot! And you have a baby tomato!! I have lots of flowers, but I have not found a tomato yet.

Ishare,
    That is a good looking clematis. Here's my monster clematis.
    {{gwi:252446}}
    Remy

• skohler
    15 years ago

THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE AN UP-DATE ON MY BABIES :)) & THEIR NEW SWIMMING POOL :)

HERES THE LEADER OF THE PACK :)

THEN COMES THE TITLE WAVE :) OR THE BIG DIVE :)

JUST LOVE WATCHING THEM SWIM :)
    HAVE A GREAT DAY
    SUSIE

LVE THE CELMATIS MINE NEED HELP

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Remy,
    That clematis puts mine to shame! It's beautiful!

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

Great garden pictures and Susie, your ducklings are very cute.
    I am not in the contest but I did a little in the area that I posted. Here are the after pictures. I probably should have gone out to take a more recent one because my basil has grown a lot and my balsam 'Peppermint Stick' is now in bloom. I love that plant!
    I think I posted before that I added a Pittosporum Variegata and moved the lemon verbena a bit forward and added a row of basil and balsam in front of that little bed. I took one picture slightly from the side so you could see the pittosporum. What I read says it grows quickly and it sounds like it likes heat, dryness, and sun, so it should be really happy!
    We got a very small amount of rain yesterday. It did not do a lot for us, but it was the first rain in maybe 5 weeks so I sure was happy to see it. However, I still had to water twice during the day yesterday to keep the plants hydrated. They are having such a hard time with the drought and high temperatures.
    Anyway, here are the pictures.

{{gwi:1278722}}

Does anyone know, do they make electric edgers? What I am thinking about is something that runs with a power cord and will make nice stright edging lines through some grass that keeps trying in invade every bed I have out there. Of course, the lawn only grows right at the edge of my beds because that is where it gets some water. I am always having to tug it out and it's a lot of tugging! Hopefully I can get more mulch down in July. I started raking it away from the plants in the spring to help the seedlings get through and because we have snails like you wouldn't believe out there and the mulch just encourages them to move in.

Have a good weekend, everyone.
    Jeanne

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

OH MY! Tomorrow is my last day! EEEK! I better get busy. I'm sure I have no chance! I haven't even come close to finishing one bed, and yes, I started too many things at once, I just can't control myself! No wonder I never get anything done LOL. But, I will post some pics of what I have gotten done tomorrow.

Jeanne, looks very nice, I like the pittosporum. For an edger, I use my weed wacker (well that is until I burned it out today trying to cut threw some very thick bindweed and grass! - turn it so the string is cutting straight up and down instead of across, kinda upside down and backwards - wish I could explain it better.

Susie, the ducks are soooo cute!

Remy, I love your clematis, I even put it on my want list LOL

Marie, you have really gotten a lot done! For those stepping stones have you thought about spacing them out - kinda like footstep width apart and then filling around them with gravel, or a low growing sedum or groundcover?

Well I'm off to bed, I have a very busy day tomorrow!

Vic

• veeja11
    15 years ago

Bunny, no hard work for you. it was 91 here. here is my squirrel pity for him if not me.

carol

• wynative
    15 years ago

Carol ~ :Love your squirrel :)

Well, I can't remember when the dead line is but here is my name bed redone with 3 Iris at the top from left to right:
    Jean 'Marie', 'Meg'Witch, and 'Bee's' Knee's - I am in a crafting club called the Busy Bee's and had to have the last one. MegWitch & Bee's Knee's are mini's

{{gwi:1278725}}

And I put this together last night. Although I ran out of white rock and there is no more in captivity for this year, I think it is cute :)

{{gwi:1278726}}

I also purchased a small round glass top table to go with my bench but haven't set it up yet.

and just showing my Lil' Farmer off - he has 2 little pumpkins starting to form at his feet!
    {{gwi:1278728}}

I have to go to the dentist to have a cleaning - Later...
    Marie

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Ms Theresa informs us that it is time to vote! :O)
    Wow, does she realize how difficult that is?? LOL
    But, I think I will have to go with....Oh, Golly...This IS HARD!! Everyone got so much done over the past few weeks. Everything looks great!

Can I declare a tie?? LOL
    It's too darn close to call.
    Can we hold a random drawing instead?? :O)

• skohler
    15 years ago

My vote is hands down for marie allot of nice work done Mine is still a work in progress much more to do & this ole body has just one speed slow slower & slowest :))

great swap thresea ty for hosting it was fun just to share :)) .
    Marie I will send you the irises to help fill in :))
    but it maybe next week when i get them in the mail :))

susie

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

MARIE GETS MY VOTE!!!!!!!!

And although I didn't get anthing finished I will post pics in a few min of what I did get done!

Yesterday I did go get more compost and mulch to finish the front bed but it was in the 90's and just too hot to work on it being in full sun.
    Today I spent the day trying to track down a stolen box that contained more than 50 plants, many of which were going in the front! It is a long story, but if you go to the conversation side of the plant exchange and read the "sending in envelopes" it will fill you in!

Vic

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Marie, you did an awesome job!

I got the burrdock cut down by the garage and the area cleared for the dog kennel which is 10 x 40ft. I am starting to plant some grasses and tall things there to try to block there view of the rabbits they are constanly barking at, but it is Very rocky clay so I didn't get much done. At the back of the kennel where the old fence was I put the "Marie Inspired" fort for my son, I used her idea with farm fencing to make a trellis, put it up to the top of the kennel and on one side is the old fence gate that I left there for a Door. Once I get a vine to grow up it, the dogs will have extra shade, and Zack will have his hide-a-way! It also goes out past the back of the house that had all the dead weeds in the corner so I got them outa there. I did get almost all the weeds cut/pulled next to the house and had an area cleared that my stolen daylilies were going to go in but.........

You can see approx where the bed will be in front by how the rocks are on the ground, and I did get a lot of the tree/bush trimmed and some cardboard down to try killing the weeds so hopefully by fall or next sprin I can get a bed started there too. I was afraid to cut too much of the tree and kill it so I will do more in the fall.

I did get some more things in the bed (Thanks Bunny) but I don't think they showed up on the pics!

If photobucket EVER finishes downloading them I will share!

Vic

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Melissa, Of course you did a great job too! You just had somewhat of a disadvantage trying to work in the yard this yeat! BTW......are you still getting better? Not as tired? I remember when I was pregnant I was pretty much a vegatative lump! Thank goodness I worked with some wonderful girls that took up the slack and helped me out, then I would come home and go to bed! I can't imagine doing it while having 5 others to look out for! Of course, I might be a few yrs older than you also!! LOL

Vic

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

{{gwi:1278729}}
    {{gwi:1278731}}
    {{gwi:1278732}}
    {{gwi:1278733}}
    {{gwi:1278734}}
    {{gwi:1278735}}
    {{gwi:1278736}}

Finally!
    I still have LOTS to do, but it will keep me out of trouble, of course the house REALLY needs a good cleaning, but there is just too much to do outside! LOL

• wynative
    15 years ago

Vic~~of course the house REALLY needs a good cleaning, but there is just too much to do outside! ~~~ hehehehe, thats what I keep telling myself, also!

I LOVE your 'antiqued' gate! That is going to be so much fun for your little one!! And he is helping :) Your doggies look so sweet - and I know What they are thinking, "we move to Montana with all thE WIDE OPEN SPACES & Mom STILLLLLLL puts us in jail"..... LOL I like your idea about separating the round stones and putting ground cover inbetween - guess I should start making a list of things to get done next spring!

Bunny - I agree with Vic - you have much more than the rest of us to do this summer - I don't have near the energy that you have!

Susie - I can't believe how big your Ducks are! Seems like just yesterday they were little fluffy balls....

Carol - your squirrel is just to funny! I was feeling the same way on Monday - 102 at 4:00pm - pant, pant....

Susie - I love yellow Iris! Let me know what the shipping is - Thanks!

About 3:00 on Saturday afternoon, I got tired of the watering, weeding and grass work! My daughter was at a friends for the night, I called some people that have property on Laramie Peek to ask if I could camp, dumped a tent, fishing poles, tackle boxes & coolers into my car - 2 1/2 hours & $200 later for food, drinks & a license - I was setting by Horse Shoe Creek drowning worms :) No I didn't catch anything, not even a snag but I saw some great wild life - several Does w/fawns, lots of birds & squirrels. It was so relaxing, so worth the $$$ After giving up on the fishing part of my trip, I dug up wild Iris, a few round cactus for my sister, some dark & light pink wild roses and lots of different kinds of flower seeds! I found some that look like the 'hairy balls' - hope they grow down here! Sunday afternoon I was back at home, playing in the dirt - putting my new plants into new homes. I was and still am angry with myself - I forgot my camera & my cell camera wouldn't work up there - no pictures.....

Monday I played hooky and goofed off with my sister - we found these while walking her puppies:
    {{gwi:1278737}}

Thanks for the votes ladies!
    Marie

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Hey Susie!!!
    Where are the rest of the pond pics! I would love to see some, have you been able to get back out in the garden yet, or are you still on restrictions?!

Marie,
    I hope those little guys didn't pee on you, ya know that causes warts!! LOL
    A night at the river! I am so jealous, I love fishing! You are right, it is so relaxing. I miss the deer at home, we had lots of them in my backyard. I don't see too many here, none at my house, just horses. And the deer didn't bother my plants near as much as the rabbits do here!
    And ya, the dogs hate the kennel! But, they chase the rabbits and don't come back for hours!

Vic

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Marie, those baby frogs are C-U-T-E!!! Frogs are fun, I love them. My kiddos have been finding baby toads all week, I think at last count they were up to 55 babies, 10 adults & 3 teenagers. LOL Good thing I'm not squimish!! :O)

I agree with everyone...I think Marie has made great progress! And I like her little "village", too.
    But...I think Vic has made great progress, also! There are actually some flower beds now! :O)

So my vote goes 1/2 for Marie & 1/2 for Vic.
    :O)

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Oh Bunny......I new you would not make a decision! So worried you might hurt feelings aren't you?! LOL

And what do you mean there are actually flower beds now??? I still haven't finished one! LOL
    But there are the beginings of beds! hehe

I'm going to go get some raspberries from a woman (Vickie) that doesn't want them anymore, strange how I accuired most of my plants I have now be all the 100's of rasp. plants I had in MI and can you believe I didn't bring even ONE! So now I'm going to someone elses house to dig her's up LOL

Have a good night all!

Vicky

• skohler
    15 years ago

Gm Ladies
    nice little get away bet you have more ideas about the new flowerbeds :)) mind relaxed :)

here's the link to a few more pictures they are growing :)
    vic & april I know you have worked just as hard in your gardens also & they are always never ending projects :))
    trust me I started with 1 & now have 17 to care for &
    most are from friends here on garden web :)

well have a great day & a safe weekend
    marie did i send yellow flag in your box or not ???
    I can send you a few clumps that you can divide up
    if not .
    will be next week .
    susie

Here is a link that might be useful: MUSCOVY DUCKLINGS

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL! So it didn't help me to have everyone vote. Why do you think I did that? Because I couldn't decide either :)

Okay. So all contest participants will get a prize. The idea was to get the ball rolling and get some work done and I think we have done that. I will attempt to get the boxes together over the weekend and get them sent out next week. I'm sure I have Susie's address but I know I don't have yours, Vic. I might have Marie's but I'm not sure. Can you gals send it to me at boring24@bellsouth.net

Theresa

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

I'm indecisive, Vic! You should see me when I'm trying to pick out apples at the store! Wow, so many choices!! LOL

Congrats to all you girls! You ALL have done great work this summer, even if they are still works in progress. But ya know...the best gardener I've ever known told me..."Every garden is a work in progress. It's constantly changing, and it's never finished. When it's finished, you're dead."
    LOL

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

I'M A WINNER! I'M A WINNER "jumping up and down"
    ok ok, I know it was just because of the pity votes! LOL

Now, I want everyone to look at Susie's Duck kennel and picture my dog kennel like that, all planted around and looking pretty!

Theresa, if you could possibly get a backhoe to fit in that prize box it would be greatly appreciated! But you might want to send it flat rate d/t the wt.! LOL

• wynative
    15 years ago

Theresa,
    Thanks - we all worked hard and in this summer heat if Vicky gets a backhoe, I would like to have a helper. I'm not real picky but I will give you a few guide lines: somewhere between the ages of 45 & 55, 6'+, lookin' good with his shirt off & in cut-off's and a deep, sexy voice... I know, the shipping would be crazy but I can dream LOL

Have a great 4th of July ALL!
    Marie

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Here you are, Marie! Enjoy! :O)

And Vic, here is a backhoe for YOUR little garden helper! LOL!

• wynative
    15 years ago

Bunny -

Thanks - so much better than I was hoping for! LOL I feel those temp's rising now but gardening will be a real pleasure... hehehehe

Marie

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

FORGET THE BACKHOE!!!!!
    I WOULD HAVE MUCH MORE FUN WORKING ON ER, UM I MEAN WORKING WITH MARIE'S PRIZE!