Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new: fotess - july cookbook swap

Posted by sandlapper_rose z7B-8A SC (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 13:51

In order to participate in this swap, you must be a member of FOTESS which stands for Friends of the Earth Simple Swaps. If you are interested in finding out more about membership, contact me or Shirley.

Photobucket

Cookbook Swap - July

This month we hope you are harvesting a few things from your garden or have some fresh fruit or vegetables from an area garden or farm. So, the next step is cooking or preparing the food...

Yes, it's a cookbook swap! You will send a cookbook to your partner plus two other things. The cookbook can be new or gently used. If you purchase a new cookbook, do not feel like you have to spend a lot on it, you can select a small one, even one of the little seasonal ones that they usually have around the grocery store check out counter. Any style of recipes is fine. It does not have to be about fruits or vegetables.

The "Plus Part" is to send two other things:

1. Some little item useful in the kitchen that comes into play in preparing fruits or vegetables (just providing one example here - like a carrot or potato peeler, but you can be as creative as you like.) This does not have to be an expensive gadget, just share something you would like to receive.

2. Some little edible "goodie": This can be fudge or a candy bar, and if you bake it can be a few homemade cookies, or maybe some homemade jam, or if sweets are not your thing right now, it can be flavored popcorn and the recipe for it, or a recipe for salsa along with a small package of chips. If you send something homemade - cookies or otherwise - please send the recipe along with the item to your partner.

So, sign ups will continue until July 6th.
Mail your package by July 16th.
I hope everyone has fun with this one and if there are any questions, please ask me.

You can certainly post here to tell us about your garden or anything you would like to share with group. I am having outpatient surgery on the 9th so if I do not check postings for a few days right around then, don't worry. I'll be back online.

Jeanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new: fotess - july cookbook swap

Sounds great! I am so in!

o

• Posted by sjc48 5 Michigan (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 14:49

I'm in too! Jeanne, I'm so glad you decided to do this! Great idea!
Shirley!

o

I am in!!!!! I love cookbooks and have a huge collection. I love to stop at resale shops and the Goodwill to see what they have. You can pick up books like new for just a couple of dollars. I collect them but when it comes to needing a recipe, I check on line. Go figure. I also collect garden books. I just find them all fun to look at all lined up on the shelf.

Thanks Jeanne, great idea.

Margo

o

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 18:02

Oooo ooo, I'm definitely in! I love to cook, in all shapes, forms, and fashions. The hard part will be deciding on which cookbook.

Katie

o

Jeanne, SUPER idea :D There is no way I can stay away from this swap. I love cookbooks! Sign me up.

Hmmmmm, already trying to think of one I'll get rid of...
vina

o

I want to play...I want to play!! Count me in!

Thanks!

Annie

o

Signed up for the swap so far we have:

Jeanne (me!)
Annie
Vina
Katie
Margo
Shirley
Becky

Great response so far! Keep 'em coming.

As you know, the Gamecocks did not win the College World Series, but they did come in second and after winning it the previous 2 years in a row, that's plenty to crow about! LOL

I'll pop back in soon. One of the reasons I dislike summer (other than all the heat) is becasue I spend so much time watering my plants... and if I didn't, they would all be dead in a day. This evening is pretty pleasant but the mosquitoes drove me inside. After getting stung by hornets on Sunday, I am staying clear of bugs for ahwile.

Jeanne

o

Jeanne, Sorry you got stung. Up here the black flies were bitting and driving you inside. You don't stay out past 8pm or you will bw one big bump.

Count me in. I, too, like cookbooks and go to the internet.

Good idea and easy.

gmom-Sharon

o

This sounds like a lot of fun, but unless I can mail mine on the 6th (post office's are closed on Saturday) I won't be able to participate. I have enrolled into the summer quarter at college and classes start on July 9th and are from 7:30 to 4:30 and by the time I catch the bus I won't be able to get back downtown until after 5:00. But I will try to check in on the fun.

Ellie

o

Sounds fun, but I won't have time for swaps this month. I will be looking in though, when I get a chance.
Alana

o

Ellie, do you have the dates wrong or did you type them wrong? We have until the 6th, (Friday) to sign up and the 16th, (Monday) is the mailing deadline.

Found the cookbook I want to send. Now I need to find the other items to put in and I am set. I may even surprise myself and have the package ready to mail by partner assigning.

Hot here again. Tomorrow is to hit 100. I told my son I won't be running our 1/2 mile together for the next two days. Too hot and muggy plus we are doing inventory at my store and it is an exhausting undertaking.

Gonna watch the Men's 200m Butterfly for the olympics and head out to water. Margo

o

Glad to more members joining in!
Now we have:

Jeanne (me!)
Annie
Vina
Katie
Margo
Shirley
Becky
Sharon

Margo is right, Ellie. You don't have to mail until July 16th. Let me know if you want to join now that the date is cleared up.

Margo, I haven't watched the preliminaries to the Olympics, but I will likely be glued to the TV set once the actual Oluympics begin. I love both the summer and the winter Olympics.

Jeanne

o

The reason I have a kitchen is because it came with the house. This Fotess group is tough. First I got a canning book which has really tempted me and now I'm signing up for a cookbook swap.
My daughter (12) agreed to help. She made 4 items for the church potluck and they were GONE. Her daddy snuck out the last piece of cherry pastry on a plate with a styrofoam cup over it!
Heidi

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 28, 12 at 0:34

Great idea for a swap, but I'm sitting out again this month. Too much gardening tasks during our short summer weather. July goes by quickly!

We had a great sunny warm day today, so I put on an old swimsuit & shorts to enjoy the sun working in the garden. I tied up new growth on tomatoes and saw some were light green already, which is early in cooler climate. I'm pleased that the fussing with plastic, jugs of water, red mulch, raised beds, etc. is making a difference this year. I'm hoping for enough ripe tomatoes to can at least 26 pints, so we won't have to buy them over winter.

I have lots of recipe favorites, but usually not from a cookbook without substitutions for our food allergies. I have an old Betty Crocker my mom gave me as a graduation gift and another Cookie book from her, too. Plus two books I've marked up like crazy since I received those as wedding gifts 25+ years ago. We've been making Crumb Coffeecake lately adding dollops of rhubarb sauce before the crumbs then baking as usual. The last time I made it I swirled the rhubarb sauce a bit with a table knife and my husband loved the taste and complimented that it looked like it was from a specialty bakery. Since his food allergies prohibit prepared baked goods that was his way of saying that it looked normal not food allergy different like usual.

This afternoon I cut back 1/2 of the bigroot hardy geranium groundcover along the front lawn today with a scissor & no gloves. Silly me should have gone back in the house to get shears, gloves, and knee pads. I'm paying for it with a sore back & a large popped blister on my finger. Why do I work too hard? It felt good to have that done because I know it will fill out again and have good looking foliage all summer long with no watering by me.

While laying flat on the couch tonight with a warm rice bag I was thrilled to see a hummingbird come nearly to the window seeking out the flopped foxglove next to it. Those foxgloves are naturalized here and one of my favorites. When the kids were young I removed them anywhere they popped up here in fear they'd poison themselves. A few years ago when I started going to plant swaps I started planting them and even started Foxy, a shorter type, from seed. Even Foxy flops in our rainy climate. I won't complain though because I've not watered the tomatoes other than just after planting and the 3rd day after that. We've had enough rain to do the job for them. I've ran the soaker hoses a few times on the rest of the edibles though.

After the 4th is when our dry season comes and I'll water more regularly, but won't water tomatoes after August 1st, so they are encouraged to ripen.

July 1st is carrot day, a day that we plant carrot seed for fall - early spring harvesting. Our climate allows mulched carrots to be stored in the garden especially in raised beds with good drainage. As much as I look forward to carrot day I am going to move it to July 2nd though because we're traveling to the other side of the state this weekend to celebrate my niece's 1st birthday and a dedication ceremony at their church. A road trip sounds like fun, but I'm not sure I'm up to riding in the backseat again with my dad driving with 2 feet. He's an old farmer and drives cars like a tractor. Hubby said he's going to sleep when he's not driving. We'll see.

Sharon - gmom -- about biting flies -
Here deer or horse flies bite during the daylight hours. The mark is a spot with missing skin that scabs over surrounded by a patch of red, then purple and lasts for weeks. Two years ago I was mad enough to go out one evening and buy 15% deet and it works as long as I put it on. I know it's bad stuff, but avoiding bites is worth it. They like to hide in the cherry tree and come bite me no matter where I'm at in the front sunny yard. Last time hubby was bit he didn't even notice, but had dripping blood down his chest. They're fierce little biters. No bites this year!

o

I am such a sucker for cook books and I have missed the fun of swapping SO, please count me in for this one.
It sounds easy enough that i can surely squeeze it in.
Bethb

o

Revised List:

Jeanne (me!)
Annie
Vina
Katie
Margo
Shirley
Becky
Sharon
Heidi
Beth

Great to have all of you swapping with us! Great to see you, Beth!

Heidi, you were funny with your comment about the kitchen. I sure feel less and less like cooking as it gets hotter and hotter. They say it may get up to 110 tomorrow or the next day. I doubt it will go that high though... we'll see.

Corrine, enjoy your weekend trip.

I have picked 3 or 4 ripe tomatoes this week and my neighbor was out working in his garden yesterday when I was walking my dog and gave me a big bag of green beans so I was thrilled.

Jeanne

o

Corrine, I live in eastern Washington (Spokane) and we also have some kind of bug (can't see them though) but they bite on the back of your neck, get huge bumps and don't know they have bitten until blood runs down. The last 2 years have been really bad.

Margo I might not have worded it right but summer school starts July 9th through August 17th so unless I skip school or am late I won't be able to get to the post office since classes are from 7:30 to 4:30 five days a week. There goes my summer!

I haven't cook much in the past 25 years except holidays. Since I worked full time and then also had a part-time job in the evenings I don't cook when I get home. Until I quit the evening job I probably won't cook. Also have tons of cookbooks (that never get looked at) but thru the years have gotten into canning but most of those receipes have come from the internet. But ever once in awhile I like to look at the pictures. I have been thinking about going through them and what I don't want give to my grandaughter.

Our weather hasn't been that great again this year....too cold and wet. I saw a bloom on one of the tomato plants yesterday but the squash and cucumbers are only about 1 1/2 inches high. And something is eating the bean leaves...lots of them have only the stems left. Last year my beans just started blooming in September and the big frost hit around the 15th so no beans.

Today I have to attend a class in getting ready for school so nothing will get done in the yard again...but I see its raining again so guess I couldn't work out anyway. The farmers are starting to wonder how they are going to get their hay cut since it doesn't stop raining long enough to cut and bale while the grass isn't wet.

Ellie

o

I generally love to cook & bake...when I have the time. Work has been tying up a lot of my time lately. We're waiting hear about a big project we bid on as well. If we get that, its steady income for 2 months, but I'll also be working Monday through Saturday.

I just ordered a bunch of daylilies! They are really my new fascination for the garden this year. I can't wait to get them. I'll be preparing a new bed for irises as well. I should be getting both my order for daylilies and irises in in July. Can't wait!

In the meantime, the tiger lilies and daisies are putting on a show for me. The veggie garden as been pumping out collards, kale, lettuce and snap peas. I got frustrated with bugs & disease last year. So I didn't plant any tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers or squashes. I do have moments of regret for not planting any of these, but think its best.

That's news from the garden!
Becky

o

Fri, Jun 29, 12 at 10:52

Ladies, I have to tell ya, those bugs sound nasty! I haven't seen any here yet, and our mosquitos aren't that bad - yet.

Corrine, I grew carrots last year, as a butterfly host, and this year they are about 5' tall and blooming! They look like Queen Anne's Lace! I'll try to get a good pic to show you.

Hi Beth! Great to see ya!

Ellie, good luck with your class; please send me some rain!

It got up to 100 yesterday, for the second day in a row. I caved last night and turned the AC on. And yes, my sinus's (sp?) are draining like crazy. Drat. I've been watering all my containers every day. They really dry up quickly.

Heidi, I feel the same way about my kitchen, especially in this heat! I'm looking for recipes for "cool" meals, using fruits and veggies. I only have 2-3 cookbooks, lots of recipes in my recipe box, but like some of the rest of you, I go to the internet when I need a new recipe.

The Red Admirals, Cabbage Whites and Commas are busy flitting around the gardens, and today I had a Goldfinch come in! He spent about 5 minutes in the Willow tree, checking everything out!

Have a great day!
Shirley!

o

Our reported high temperature yesterday was 109, beating our previous high by 2 degrees. Oh, my --- you can bet that other than watering the garden and walking the dog, I am staying indoors! Right now, the sun has not come out yet so that will be a help today if it stays cloudy for awhile.
I hope no one is disappointed if I don't do a game this month. I'm just not sure I will be on the computer a lot right around my surgery and it won't be good to just have it stall in the middle of the game.
I would love to hear what you prepare for meals when it's super hot. Most of us sure don't want to have the oven on! I will be making reuben sandwiches later and using my electric griddle: corned beef, Swiss cheese, and sauerkraut on rye bread - grilled and then you add some Thousand Island dressing. Both my husband and I really like them and that's about as cool of a "hot meal" that I can make. Last night I made spaghetti - just one pot to cook in so not bad on heat from cooking or for clean up!
Any one have big plans for the 4th of July? Sometimes we go to the Peach Fesitval in Gilbert which concludes with fireworks, but we'll have to see how hot it is this year before we decide whether to do that. Once or twice we have gone and a huge thunderstorm rolled in with lots of lightning. That is a scare when you have a long way to walk to the car!
Okay, have a great day.
Jeanne

o

We had leftovers from my daughters wedding that we froze. I thawed out bacon wrapped chicken in the microwave. We made salads and corn on the cob. Delicious, quick, and didn't heat up the kitchen.

Headed tomorrow down to Cincinnati with my youngest son for his orientation at UC. He is going into mechanical engineering. My husband can't get the time off so the two of us are going alone. We are going a day early so we can stop at the outlets and go to the gardens in Cincinnati. Not sure of the name but I know they are lovely.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. Margo

o

My Marshall's Delight Bee Balm has kicked in and I'm very close to my goal of camophlaging the fire hydrant.
Photobucket
I want to can spaghetti sauce and maybe make dill pickles. I don't have recipes for either of those. Trying to decide how adventurous I want to be. My grandmother is 90. She has 30 tomato plants, cans all summer long and recently unloaded a trailer full of firewood. What a woman!
Cucumbers are 1" long. We've had 5 cherry tomatoes and a handful of pea pods. (We don't wait for the peas...just eat the pods. Crisp and wonderful.) I have a squash that looks like it could grow across Brazil, but not sure what kind it is. I think it's a summer squash and I was hoping for butternut or acorn. It's fun to watch everything grow.
No more community garden. It's 15 miles away and it's not my project...but all I want to do is go check on the poor babies to see if anybody is watering them and taking care of them.
Heidi

o

Hey everyone!

I've been grilling outside. And making the kids sandwiches. Tuna melts, egg salads, bbq chicken wraps. Real easy stuff. I did make a big bowl of macaroni salad the other morning. It lasted a couple of days. Grilled some asparagus last night.

I have so many tomato plants this year, I'm dreaming of them :)

Cute story! A few years ago, my Taylor was 5 she watched the Johnny Appleseed story and just loved how he planted seeds everywhere. Well, whenever she ate an apple she would save me the seeds. From school, at grandma's anywhere...she'd bring them home in a paper towel. Well, we germinated them to see what would happen. I'm happy to report that yesterday I transplanted 3 of her apple trees to bigger pots. They are now about 4 feet tall. And she has a half a dozen of them. I'm so proud of her! She still brings me home apple seeds.

I've read where I should keep them in pots for another year so the bark gets a little tougher. Right now they are delicious snacks for deer and bunnies, lol! I can't wait till they apples. Maybe in a few years. :)

I just had to share this picture.And thanks to Shirley, I finally figured out how to post. THANK YOU AGAIN SHIRLEY! I took it in May. A lot of my iris didn't flower this year because of the weird March warm weather where they started to bud, then we had 2 weeks of back winter. Most everything froze and the buds all died. But, this beauty put on a show all by itself :) My lovely Thornbird.

Have a great day!
vina

o

An old family favorite sandwich. We call it the BLT, but it's not the traditional BLT. You place a slice of bread in the oven and let it brown. Turn it over, add one slice of cheese, a big juicy slice of tomato from the garden and 2 strips of bacon (precooked). Bake a few minutes until the cheese is melted, serve and eat!
My kids love Subway, but I have a hard time paying big bucks for a sandwich. Can't wait for the garden goodies so I can buy the bread and let them make it at home! Fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, all of it.

o

Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 12:53

Hey Everybody!
Heidi, I love BLTs in any form, although I did find a version that I didn't care for. It was made with blue cheese and cream cheese, dill and bacon on rye. My friend who came for lunch loved it, I did not. I've been eating a lot of sandwiches, fruit and veggies, it's too hot, and I'm too lazy to cook!
Your Monarda is beautiful! I think we've said this before, but it was a really great year for Monarda, mine are much taller and fuller this year.

Vina! Beautiful picture! I seriously need to talk to you about the iris's. I'll get to that, at some point this summer!

I've been doing some clean-up/tweaking in the gardens. Two of my neighbors have told me that it looked like a jungle. Well, yeah, kinda, it's a butterfly garden, what do they expect? Neat and Tidy? Not going to happen!

I've been getting Black Swallowtails coming in and buzzing the Dill and the Fennel. I found a BS caterpillar on the Ammi, forgot that was a host for them. AND where did the Ammi come from, you may ask. I haven't the slightest idea, I haven't planted any for 2 years!

Margo, how was Cincy? Hope your trip went well!

Hi Jeanne, Hi Becky, Hi Corrine, Hi Ellie, Hi Katie!

It's another muggy, close day here, we got some rain a few days ago, but we really need lots more.

Well, I'm going back outside to check the jungle for tigers, of the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail variety!
Later!
Shirley!

o
No Tigers!

Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 18:26

Well, I was in and out all day and nary an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail showed up-cie la vie!
However, this little Red Admiral hung around pretty much all day, chased two other RAs away, and had lunch on the Echinacea. Had dessert on the lavender Monarda, which you can see on the next post!

o

Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 18:29

Here he is having dessert! He was really a fiesty little guy, wouldn't let the cabbage whites get too close either!
Shirley!

o

Great pictures and suggestions for cooking (or non-cooking) in hot weather, too!

The writers group that I belong to met this evening so that is always a fun time. Dedicated people. I didn't expect much attendance with this being the "Eve" of the 4th.

Have a great day tomorrow and stay safe. My garden isn't doing much after all this hot weather, but maybe I can take a few pictures soon of something going on out there!

Jeanne

o

Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 20:47

Hi FOTESSers,
Hope everyone is doing well and trying to stay cool during this heat wave. It has been super dry, which means continued watering, but fortunately not much grass mowing.

This swap looks to be so much fun. My husband and I both cook a great deal, and enjoy it. We enjoy cooking and eating a wide variety of foods - traditional southern foods, cajun cooking, lots of seafood and wild game, lots of fresh produce, exotic dishes, grilling, and other methods of outdoor cooking (like crawfish boils, dutch oven over an open fire, or stir fry in a wok over a gas burner). For us, cooking is an activity that is intricately linked to visiting with family & friends, and enjoying each others' company.

Well, the heat these past few weeks has certainly slowed down a lot of our desire to cook. Cooking in the kitchen really can heat up the house. Cooking outside is not much fun during extreme temps either. So with that in mind, I'm passing along a great summertime recipe, served cold, and that requires minimal cooking.
Citrus Shrimp Couscous

Heidi, love the photo of your almost eclipsed hydrant. Your flowers are so lovely, and your plantings between the street and sidewalk are awesome! And -WOW- at your 90 yr old grandma! You should try canning with her. There is nothing better than opening a jar of tomatoes you canned in the middle of winter. It's like opening up a jar of SUNSHINE!

Shirley, loved your butterfly photos, too! I have a soft spot for all pollinators, thus my love of plants that provide for them, especially the natives. The plants you sent are doing well, and I will post photos and a funny story about them soon.

Ellie, I have family that leave near you, close to Walla Walla. Washington is a beautiful state. I've poked around in it here and there.

Jeanne, it sounds like you are beating me in the high temps lately. Hope you are keeping cool. How's the writing coming along? Best wishes to you with your surgery.

Vina, that is an amazing iris you have growing! We have some "volunteer" iris growing our in our field/old pasture. It is on the site of an old homestead from many decades ago. No doubt it is some kind of heirloom. I have thoughts of digging them up and transplanting them, or at least trying to figure out what they are.

Happy early 4th of July!

Katie

o

Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 20:51

Ok, I thought that recipe link would be a lot friendlier than that! This is easier:

[where's that EASY button?]

Citrus Shrimp Couscous

Ingredients
12 ounces couscous
1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup scallion, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
1 dash salt, to taste
1 dash fresh ground black pepper

Directions
Cook couscous according to package, then rinse with cold water and drain.
Cook shrimp by boiling or steaming. Do not overcook. This only takes a few minutes.
Whisk the lemon juice, lime juice and olive oil together in a large bowl.
Mix in the couscous, shrimp, herbs, onion and tomatoes.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Chill and serve cold.
Like so many recipes, the flavors of this one intensify if left in the fridge overnight.

o

Back from orientation and since this is number five, didn't learn anything I didn't know already. They just do some things differently. It was nice spending time with my son since he will be going away in the fall. He caught a cold last week so being in the close quarters of the car together for the trip, he shared it with me. Aches, chills, headache, and chills (which are convenient in the 90 plus temps). We got back yesterday afternoon and headed to a friends shortly after for her annual fireworks get together. They put the show on at a park near her so we have a great view from her backyard. This was the best show yet and we had a nice time and too much to eat.

This heat is a killer. I am forced to water twice a day and I am so tired of it. There's been rain here and there but not nearly enough. It is way too hot.

Enjoyed all the pictures and Katie's recipe looks great. My hubby and son are leaving for three weeks to go to Europe. I don't like to fly so opted to stay home and hold down the fort. I might make this for dinner one night and have some corn on the cob with it too.

Going to go take a nap. Happy Fourth of July everyone. Margo

o

Wed, Jul 4, 12 at 17:25

Happy 4th of July everyone. I went out looking for red, white & blue flowers this morning and reds were in short supply. Bee balm isn't yet blooming nor the rocket red snapdragons, but did find some maltese cross and red geraniums. I am not a big fan of orange, so if some reds are orangish I skip over them. Some years when we grew nasturtiums I picked the orange blooms for salads, so they'd disappear. Orange is growing on me especially orange lilies bright & bold. I was sad last night to find out the deer squeezed in next to the chicken coop fence & visited our backyard nibbling Asiatic lilies, so the show is gone even before it arrived. I have them in a few spots, so will have Cancun Asiatic lilies to enjoy as long as they don't squeeze back in. Funny thing is I saw the yearling twins as I drove out the driveway and called hubby who said he saw them heading opposite at the top of the hill that turns toward our place. Whew I thought. No one home plus sleeping doggy and corner of fence damage yet from January storm = entrance for deer. Hubby fixed it last night in the dark & earned his keep. He, he.

Here's a delicious recipe that will have guests guessing what it is.

Quick Lemon & Garlic Quinoa Salad for 4-5 people (I always double the recipe as it keeps for several days.)
salad
1 cup dry quinoa
3 cups water
pinch of sea salt
1/2 cup of each: chopped carrots & minced parsley
1/4 cup sunflower seeds

dressing
2-3 cloves garlic minced
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 T each olive oil & soy sauce

Rinse quinoa with warm water and drain through a fine strainer (mine is metal). Place in 3 quart pan & dry roast on low heat about 5-87 minutes. You'll need to stir constantly until they begin to change color & smelly nutty.

Bring water to a boil in a large pot at the same time. Add salt & toasted quinoa to boiling water. Boil for 10-12 minutes then remove from heat & drain like you would pasta.

Prepare dressing & Place in a large bowl with rest of ingredients. Add cooked quinoa & toss well. Can serve at room temperature, but we usually chill & serve the next day cold.

I hope you enjoy the salad and get hooked on quinoa a complete high protein staple in Peru and now grows in the USA, too. It is pronounced keen wah. Costco here sells it as well as health food stores. I learned to eat it when I found out about food allergies. We've substituted millet as well as brown rice, but quinoa has the best taste & there is no substitute once you've eaten the nutty grain.

If I have time I make the carrots into flowers by cutting down the length of them about 5 times around the carrot then when sliced become flowers. When seated at a table it is much easier to take your time to cut those flowers. Another tip is to prep the flowers the day before making the salad.

Happy 4th of July ++ Thank a service man or woman today. ++ My daughter & hubby are coming over later and I'll be sure to give a big thank you for his service in Iraq 3x. I'm so glad he was one that came back to keep on giving to his country as a civilian. He's a great hubby to our daughter!

Corrine

o

Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 12:14

Is everyone surviving this heat? It was up to 102 here yesterday! Not nearly as bad today, yet! And at some point during the night, we did get some rain!

I hope everyone had a nice 4th. I spent the evening running around the neighborhood trying to get JUST ONE good fireworks pic. Didn't happen. I think I need to take lessons. Got to chat with some of my neighbors, so it wasn't a total loss.

Great recipes! My daughter and her family are coming in at the end of the month, will try some of these on them!!

Do we get partners tomorrow? I need to collect the rest of my stuff for this swap!

Have a great day!
Shirley!

o

Wow, I found recipes here today! What a nice surprise and any in the group who would like to post more, keep it going.

Margo, I love Europe and am envious of your husband and son. Hopefully they will bring back lots of great pictures. One of my friends and I hope to go on a crusie around Great Britain next year, stopping to see things in England, Scotland, and Ireland. Sure hope it happens!

It's not quite as hot here - temperatures in the 90s instead of the 100's. I'm really sorry for the people in the super hot areas who lost power. That would be awful.

Okay, if we have any stragglers in signing up for the swap, make sure you sign up by the end of the day Friday.
I'll match partners on Saturday.

Jeanne

o

It never fails, I sign up for a swap, work gets crazy. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the swap! Tomorrow we're suppose to have record heat. Here's a recipe that requires minimal cooking and is very yummy!

Tortellini Salad with Pine nuts

This recipe is from Picnic! By Edith Stovel. This serves 8.

Ingredients

Salad
2 lbs fresh tortellini pasta (spinach, cheese or mushroom fillings work well)
1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup green onion, chopped
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
1/4 cup chopped grated parmesan cheese

Dressing
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
Ground black pepper
3/4 cup olive oil

Follow directions for cooking tortellini. Drain and place in a large bowl. Mix in remaining salad ingredients.

For dressing, combine vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk in oil until well combined. Pour dressing over tortellini and chill.

I've also thrown in cherry tomatoes, zucchini, cooked asparagus, black olives, artichoke hearts (not the marinated ones.) I've also not added the pine nuts sometimes. So there's wiggle room for playing with the ingredients.

Stay cool!

o

Shirley, I hope you didn't get those bad storms that hit up in Toledo. High winds with a lot of trees down and power is out in some areas. We had some wind for a little while but nothing else. The weather has just been so weird this year. We just need a good day or two of rain.

Looking forward to partners. It is always so nice to get to know others here in our Fotess group.

Margo

o

Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 21:14

Margo, I heard that some places in Monroe County lost power, but not in the city. All we've been getting is the dark clouds and cold breezes, thunder, lightening but very little, if any, rain. It's all going north of us. Last night's Tiger game in Detroit was delayed by over 2 hours because of rain, but all we got was a shower sometime after midnight. You're right, it's really weird.

I'm glad everyone is sharing their recipes and I too, hope everyone continues to share! I usually stick with the same old, same old, it's nice to have a new idea!

Talk to ya all tomorrow!
Shirley!

o

Did you all hear it today? I heard the birds again! It was quiet! I believe my neighborhood is full of pyromaniacs and the 4th of July makes it legal to play with fire! ha
Soldiers come home with PTSD and the dogs around here have PTFD (Post Traumatic Fireworks Disorder). I think I'll become a dog therapist. Could make some big money after the 4th of July!
Heidi

o

Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 11:39

Heidi, you could open a branch office in Monroe - we've had fireworks ALL week! My cat Willie was seriously stressing out. I couldn't hear the dogs for all the noise, but I'm sure they were having fits! It amazes me that these things are legal!

Another scorcher here today, it's already 87! I watered early but had to quit about 10, it really feels alot hotter.
Stay cool, everyone!
Shirley!

o

I think this is the final list for our swap. If I forgot anyone, let me know. I'll be matching partners tomorrow.

Jeanne (me!)
Annie
Vina
Katie
Margo
Shirley
Becky
Sharon
Heidi
Beth

Stay cool!
Jeanne

o

Oh geez...I've been meaning to sign up and kept putting it off. Love this idea and would like to participate if I'm not too late!
Janine

o

Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 0:32

You made it in, just under the wire, Janine! Jeanne is posting partners tomorrow, or I guess, later on today! Nice to have you join in!
Shirley!

o

Good Saturday Morning,

Nice recipes FOTESSERS....Couscous, Tortellini and Quinoa, these sound refreshing. I have never tried Quinoa. I do very little oven cooking during the Summer, especially when it is hot. I love grilled BBQ vegetables and a good salad. And of course, Caprese....sliced fresh tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil (lots of it), fresh fround papper, kosher salt and balsamic vinegar. I need a break from the "everyday" BBQ meat.

They say the heat is coming our way. The next several days will be high 90's, low 100's. We will not get the high humidity that many of you experience. It will be dry....and obviously no rain! I love the hot heat but will pass on the humidity.

The weather has been quite strange. June in Southern California is known for what we call "June Gloom". We did not have that this year. It was beautiful, sunny, several 90 degree days. My indeterminate tomatoes, which I normally do not start enjoying until mid August, are ripening. I had my first "Stump OF The World" tomato last night. That is unusual. The plants are loaded with tomatoes....knock on wood!

Happy Saturday!! Stay cool and comfie!

Annie

o

Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 12:07

Hi Annie, nice to hear from ya! Are you joining us for the swap? I think there is still time, Jeanne hasn't posted partners yet!

OMG!! I had forgotten all about "caprese!". My Italian MIL used to make HUGE platters of it as soon as the tomatoes started turning ripe! She called it "capresa some other Italian word" and my kids loved it! We ate it with big chunks of homemade bread and she added onion. What a memory - all of us in a circle around the table, eating like it was our last meal!

Hey, back outside to get pics of that Monarch!
Shirley!

o

Happy Saturday!

I was thinking about my crock pot yesterday. I will pull out some cookbooks and see what I can prepare in there. Sounds better than the oven! I got store bought fried chicken last evening and we had macaroni salad, rolls, and corn on the cob with it. So good! I also bought some shrimp which we will have boiled and dipped in cocktail sauce with a salad on the side for one meal today. Then it is back to the drawing board. I have been getting a tomato about every other day from my Oxheart tomato plant. I never grew this kind before and it has turned out to be my biggest and best plant this year.

Okay, enough chatting from me - I know you all want partners!!!

Jeanne will exchange with Katie.
Shirley will exchange with Beth.
Annie will exchange with Sharon.
Heidi will exchange with Margo.
Now watch this one closely because no longer an even match:
Becky will send to Vina.
Vina will send to Janine.
Janine will send to Becky.

Everyone should have addresses for her partner, but if you don't, just e-mail each other. Have fun and if there are any questions, just ask me or your partner.
Jeanne

o

Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 13:50

OOPS! Sorry, Annie, should have checked the list!

Beth, which address should I send to?

Shirley!

o

My 12-year-old daughter and husband have been thinking up things to do this summer-and trying to get me excited. Camping. Rafting. Canoeing. Hiking. Then they came up with fishing and I said yes. They thought I was kidding. I love to fish. I don't like to eat it. I don't know what I'm doing. But I like it. We spent a small forture on permits, licenses, poles, tools. Last night we fished for 12 minutes and look what I caught! My husband cleaned it today and tomorrow he is grilling it: butter, salt, pepper and fresh-squeezed limes.
Photobucket

o

I picked 6 zucchini at the Community Garden. What are your best zucchini recipes? I know as time goes on there will only be more zucchini and August is the official "Leave Your Zucchini on Your Neighbors Porch at Night" month! I thought I'd ask what recipes you all might have up your sleeve.

o

Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 0:05

Good Grief, Heidi, what kind of fish is that?! How long did it take you to land it? That is one big fish! Congrats, also nice of your hubby and daughter to pose for the pic with it!

That is so funny about the zucchini! The one and only time I ever tried planting a veggie garden, I planted 3 zucchini plants. Everybody told me to just plant one, but no, I had to plant 3. Yeah, Gazillions!

My mother in law used to can zucchini with a light spaghetti sauce. There was very little that woman didn't put spaghetti sauce on. In any event, I think my daughter has her recipes, if you're interested, I'll see if she has that one.
The MIL never let the zucchini get very big before harvesting.

I spent the day chasing butterflies around my gardens with the camera. Got the usual Red Admiral, plus a Monarch, Black Swallowtail and a Summer Azure! The BS was laying eggs on the Ammi and the Fennel!

Talk to ya all tomorrow!
Shirley!

o

Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 7:52

Wow, Heidi, what an awesome fishing story! And congrats on your nice catch. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like a carp. Hope your family enjoys eating it! I love to fish too, and EAT them! In fact, my husband & I never take a vacation that doesn't have fishing in it somehow, somewhere. Sometimes the trip is centered around just fishing :)

The other night we made homemade hummus, with pita and grilled veggies. We sliced into big chunks zucchini, squash, carrots, and bell pepper. Brushed each chunk lightly with olive oil, then grilled it. It was fantastic. So don't discount grilling veggies.

Another favorite way of cooking zucchini involves chunking up some zucchini and a little onion. Make a foil pack about 8" x 8", and toss in a Tbsp of butter. Seal your foil pack and toss on the grill (usually ~20 min). Once it's done, carefully open the foil pack (watch for the steam) and dump veggies/juice into a bowl. Add 2-3 wedges of Laughing Cow Light Creamy Swiss. You can cut the cheese into smaller pieces to get it to melt faster. Serve once its all melted.
What is this "porch/zucchini" month?! Hahah, too funny.

Corrine and Becky, the recipes you both posted look wonderful! I will be getting the ingredients next time I go to the store to try them out.

Our recent rain must have made the bugs feel much better, too. We have seen an explosion of pollinators visiting the flowers. Love it!

Katie

o

Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 8:33

So a couple of weeks ago, Shirley sent me some leftover plants from her plant sale. I had never received plants before on GW, I have only sent some young tree saplings during the early spring when it was still cool. Other than purchasing a few bare-root plants from a nursery, this was all new to me. I was very nervous about the plants surviving the heat. But, they were packed beautifully, I got them re-potted as soon as they arrived, organized the little pots in plastic trays, and all of them are doing well.

To give them the best chance of surviving, I put the pots in a shaded spot to keep them as cool as possible. I have a "potted seedling" station in a partly shaded area that only gets morning sun. Its 2 pallets on legs to make 2 tables for setting plants on. There is a sprinkler set up on a timer to give early morning watering every few days, too. I place extra tender plants on the ground, under the tables, to keep them out of the sun completely. That's where I put Shirley's plants.

Each day I pull the plants out from under the table to see how they're doing. That requires me to get on my knees and lean in under the pallets to grab my trays. When I pulled out Shirley's plants the other day, I noticed the soil was disturbed in one of my pots. "Hmmm, that's weird." I patted it down & watered it. Since it has been so hot and dry, the potted plants are some of the coolest, & moistest spots around. Just as I was leaning over, with my face close to the plants, to put them back in their shady nook, a surprise jumped out and hit me right in the face! Startled the poop out of me. Apparently, my little pots of soil are perfect daytime spots for toads! I've had several instances now of toads burying themselves in my potted plants, only to get disturbed by me and come leaping out. I'm now thinking of setting up some "toad pots" just for them. Love those toads, even if they do root around in my seedlings.

o

Wow! Great job fishing and in only 12 minutes!!

Here's a favorite zucchini recipe. Are you a canner? I have a recipe for zucchini relish too. Its my favorite relish.

Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake
I instantly fell in love with this cake. It is so chocolately and moist. No one will be the wiser that zucchini is in it unless you tell them. This makes 1 - 9x13 pan.

Ingredients
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
4 Tbs Baking cocoa
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
2 cups finely shredded zucchini
1 cup chocolate chips

Directions:
Mix butter, sugar and oil until blended. Add eggs, vanilla, milk and sour cream beat well. Combine dry ingredients and add to egg mixture. Stir in shredded zucchini. Turn into greased, floured 9 x 13 inch pan and sprinkle with chocolate chips .

Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until cake tests done.

o

Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 13:14

Jeanne,
Your package is ready to go out tomorrow!
The DC # is 9405 5036 9930 0067 8621 69

Katie

o

Wow Katie, you are fast. Although I have had the cookbook for several days, I still need to get the rest prepared. My son's best friend (like a son to us) got married yesterday. The wedding was at 1 but the reception was not til 6. It was at the Toledo Zoo in a pavilion and with the temps hitting 100 plus, it was HOT! Thankfully, the cool front here arrived about 9:00 so going outside the pavilion became the popular hang out.

Oh and Katie, great story and shot of the toad. I had one that made a home in one of my pots last year. Amazing how they blend right in.

I am off the next two days so will finish off Heidi's box. Will post DC when I get it off in the mail.

My kids and I have volunteered to serve food at a German festival today and thankfully it is cooler outside. Free food is involved.

Have a good day. Margo

o

Sharon (GMOM...),

Just sent you an email to confirm your mailing address. Let me know if you do not receive.

Katie, you are one fast FOTESSER...LOL!

Thanks!

Annie

o

Wow, Heidi, I am impressed by that fish! I like to eat them, but not catch them. LOL

Katie, you are so quick getting your package mailed. I was hoping to get the one for you together yesterday, but I didn't. I figure I can't plan on going to the post office soon because surgery is tomorrow, but hopefully by the end of the week it will be put together and mailed. At least I've bought what I need!

I'm trying a rib recipe in the crock pot for dinner tonight. If it's good, I'll share the recipe.

You know, I never have excess zucchini. What does that say about my gardening? I'll blame it on the heat.

Jeanne

o

Mon, Jul 9, 12 at 10:04

Katie, you are way ahead of me! I have all the stuff for the package except the cookbook! Need to get out to Staples to get it bound, should be doing that today, but the butterflies are already starting to come in, so it might not get done until later on today, or maybe even tomorrow!

Another beautiful, cool, sunny day here!
Hope you are all getting a break from the heat!
Shirley!

o

Mon, Jul 9, 12 at 18:11

Well, I confess...
I was only speedy because I was supposed to go out of town early Sunday morning for another work trip. I wasn't sure I would be back in time to mail out my package before July 16, so I pretty much had everything together several days ago. My trip ended up being cancelled last minute (although DH still went out of town). So I was fast out of necessity!

o

Mon, Jul 9, 12 at 21:29

Hope everyone had a good day! We had rain, YEA!! No watering for me tonight!

I thought I had everything I wanted for this swap, but checked today, and one of the items is ALL wrong! Back to Meijers, when will I learn to pay attention in a grocery store, instead of trying to figure out how to get back out the door quickly!?

Hope Jeanne got through today in good shape, maybe we'll hear from her tomorrow.

Have a good night!
Shirley!

o

Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 8:08

Good Morning!
Another beautiful cool day here!
It's another "running" day for me, two in a row, that's a bit much!
Waiting to hear from Beth about her address, hopefully I can get this package finished by the end of the week, altho there is still LOTS of time left!
Have a great day!
Shirley!

o

Heidi, is that a carp? iT is a beauty!
Last yeas I did a refrigerator jam with pineapple and then grated zucchini as the "secret" ingredient> It was yummy I'll try to find it again.
Computer and electricity have been down for almost a week. Some folks near DC were without electric for a week and with the heat it has been very unpleasant. I at least have a lot of nice shade trees and breezes.
Sorry Shirley. I'm ready to mail. Will go to town tomorrow. Please send your address as I did not bring my address book along this summer.
Great photos gals. Stay cool if you can.
BB

o

Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 9:05

Beth, got your email and just emailed ya back! No hurry on the package.
Shirley!

o

Yes, I'm back online, typing with one eye. The other is still dilated and very blurry so hopefully it won't stay like that. I go back to the doctor this afternoon for the "day after surgery check" so hopefully he will tell me more. All I know for now is no bending below the waist, no dirt (gardening/sweeping /dusting) for a week or 10 days, sleep only on my back or my right side, and don't lift anything over 15 lbs. I put 2 types of drops in my eye every 3 hours. I have a clear plastic patch over it and I think that will come off after I see the doctor and then I will only wear it at night. Sure will make it easier to wear my glasses! Right now, other than sunglasses, I am simply not wearing them. My vision is nearsighted so I can see the computer screen or to read although trying not to strain my eyes.
I will likely write about my surgery on my blog - maybe tomorrow - they said the medication I got during surgery would relax me and make me forget but I haven't forgotten a thing so anyone who is curious can read about it.
Our crock pot ribs were really good. Some day this week I'll post the recipe.
For now I have the song "One Eyed, One Horn, Flying Purple People Eater" running through my head. LOL
Jeanne

o

Morning everyone!

Yeah Partners! Janine, I get to send to you :) I have the cookbook, I just need to get a couple other things tog. for you. Hopefully, I'll be mailing this week.

Have had an incredibly busy week last week with the County Fair. Our plesiosaurus haybale won first place! :D The kids were so happy. Taylor also did very well. She won 3 blue ribbons for her art work.

And****drum roll please****I took a blue ribbon for my flower arrangement. I think this ribbon we should all share since I used flowers that are all from seeds we have all swapped. Our arrangement was called "yellowtopia". We used double feverfew, gloriosa daisies, double gloriosa daisies, crazy daisies, alaska daisies, and a very large bunch of yellow asiatic lilies in the center. Everything but the asiatic lilies have come from seed swaps.

Jeanne, sending you (((((big hugs)))) for a fast recovery. :D Hope to hear from you soon.

Well...I tried to post a picture of our haybale. I just can't seem to upload the darn thing to my computer. I'll have to have hubby help me later today to see if he can do it. AAAAHHHHH! How I love technology...

Heidi, ver nice carp! We have carp derbies almost every weekend around here. They are on different lakes, but you see some really nice boats. I think you would have won a prize for that one!

I had a frog in my watering trays for my plants this weekend. Scared the beeegggessus out of me! We had our plant swap at the Fair and it was so hot, I would split, pot and put into some cool water. That frog jumped right up at me when I almost put a pot on him. I dropped the pot and I swear he looked at me like I was disturbing HIM! Our plant swap was a great success this year...we had over 350+ plants registered ( I stopped counting at 350, lol!). Everyone had a great time. And we even had some plants leftover so the fair could have a plant sale the next day. They made about $50 with the leftovers, selling them for .50cents to $1.00 each.

And I just had to share this pic of my water lilies this year. I got these from a gw'er a couple of years ago. Last year they had 1 flower. This year I just can't believe the growth! Maybe it helps that the fish can't get near them to nibble the flower heads off anymore, lol!

Have a super day!
vina

o

Margo...your box is going out tomorrow. It's after 5 so it can't make it today, but I wanted to make sure I got all the parts and pieces in.
Cookbook shopping proved a little dangerous. I found one for me! (Remember, the kitchen came with the house or else I'd have a craft room and a greenhouse room.) The title is, "How to Cook with 3 Ingredients." Everything has 3 ingredients (lots of recipes with a can of soup). Now this could be FUN! You let me know when you get the box and I'll fill you in on a few details...can't spoil any surprises.
Heidi

o

9405 5036 9930 0071 9599 54
Margo, here's the confirmation number.

o

Jeanne, Glad things well. What surgery did you have?

Heidi, thanks for letting me know my box is on the way. Yours is sitting in front of me almost done. :) I had intended to get it off today but just didn't get it finished. I still need to get something together for it.

Will hopefully have it in the mail by Friday. Margo

o

Hi all!

Janine, your package went out this morning. :) DC# 0312 0090 0000 8208 0834. On a sad note, there is NO chocolate in your package. :( I thought it would be a gooey mess by the time it made it to you. I hope you enjoy everything else though :D

Have a super day!
vina

o

Katie really had me laughing today! My package arrived and she sent a large box. When I opened it, there on the top was a cookbook with the title The Eat a Bug Cookbook. Seriously! I was just about afraid to look under it. She said she couldn't resist sending it to me. (I appreciate the thought, Katie, but I think I'll pass on making any of those recipes. LOL)
The "for real" cookbook is Putting Up - Canning in the Southern Tradition and that sounds great to me. I used to can peaches and blueberries but haven't canned anything in years so maybe this will give me motivation to try it again. My kitchen gadget was a funnel - definitely useful, and she sent me two jars she had canned: Brandied Figs and Pickled Okra. I haven't had either so I am curious to try them... and yes, please e-mail the recipes to me or post them here if there is space. You had everyting packed really well, Katie, no problems at all. I made your "goodie" this morning and it is in the freezer for now until I can get a box together to mail to you.
Eye surgery report is I can see better than yesterday, but still not as good as before surgery. My eye has been stinging and burning, too, which no one else seems to report after surgery (it was for cataracts.) I called the doctor and they said if it kept doing this they might need to change something about the prescription eye drops. I seem to be allergic to more and more things as I get older so that could be it. I just hope everything calms down a bit more by tomorrow.
Vina, congratulations on the wins at the County Fair - especially the blue ribbon! Beautiful water lilies, too!
I'll try to put together a list of who has sent and who has received tomorrow or the next day. It's time for me to check on dinner and I probably typed as long as I can stand for today - have to reread everything to see what it was that I actually hit on the keyboard.
Another Crock Pot recipe for today so we'll see how this one turned out!
Jeanne

o

Vina,

Your pond is so pretty and congrats on taking a blue ribbon! I feel so out of touch. I didn't even know there was a fair in my neck of the woods last week. I still have one more thing to pick up for your package. Hoping to get it this weekend.

Jeanne, I'm glad your recovering from your eye surgery. Hope the progress continues!

Well, work's been crazy here. I had to bring my car in for "regular maintenance." Two days and $1400 later, I have my car back! Well, at least I don't have to worry about tires and brakes for a while.

o

How to Eat a Bug! Be careful, the FOTESS organizers might think that's a great trade idea, especially at the end of the summer when the bugs are in full swing! They won't understand why none of us sign up and we're suddenly all too busy to swap. It made me laugh, too.
We don't have those kinds of ponds around here. They are just in Disney movies, right? So beautiful.
I thought the same thing about the chocolate--probably nobody would appreciate chocolate melted inside a plastic bag...not that some of us haven't licked ourselves out of a few chocolate messes in our lives.
Heidi

o

Ellie,
I think this is the Dubonnet Butterfly Bush cutting you sent me in May. (I could be wrong.) I love it! It's so pretty and Miss Ruby Butterfly Bush is still in my kitchen window. I'm not planting it out until the temps go down a little.
Photobucket
Heidi

o

Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 22:28

Now, Heidi, you know we wouldn't make anyone eat bugs! I would love to see some of the recipes tho!

Jeanne, hope everything is getting better for you!

Beth, if nothing else goes wrong, your box is going out on Saturday!

Have a great day tomorrow!
Shirley!

o

Morning all!

Becky, I'm so sorry you missed it! I really should have posted something on here about it. Especially the plant swap. This was our 4th year having it during the fair. One lady came all the way from Rochester, and brought 100 plants! We had such a variety this year. Tomatoes, bushes, shrubs, bulbs...pretty much you name it, and it was represented. We even had a lovely lady bring about 15 HUGE house plants. I'm not a house plant person, but these were gorgeous! I'll have to remember to post it here for next year. :)
And so glad you have your wheels back. There is nothing like being without your transportation when you live in the country.

One of my yard highlights is my pond. Every rock you see I have hand dug out of corn fields and hedgerows at my parents farm. Then loaded them up in the truck and drove them home. The other day I was walking around thinking I've handled each rock in my yard at least 3 times. Picking and loading, unloading, and placing. No wonder people call me the "rock lady" around here, lol!
My father says I have enough rocks to build 3 cabins...if I ever felt so inclined :)

That is one beautiful butterfly bush flower. I just love the color!

Have a terrific Thursday!
vina

o

I am hoping this picture will come though. It's the first year this Rose of Sharon has bloomed for me. It came labeled as Raspberry Royale and it sure looks like it. You know I never used to grow these because they didn't keep their leaves in winter, but I think I am getting hooked on them. I have lots of little ones (other varieties) from winter sowing this year - still very small though.

Let's see if I can get this typed out correctly.

Jeanne will exchange with Katie. Jeanne has received.
Shirley will exchange with Beth.
Heidi will exchange with Margo. Heidi sent
Now watch this one closely because no longer an even match:
Becky will send to Vina.
Vina will send to Janine. Sent
Janine will send to Becky.

I am seeing a little better today. I think I have heard too many people say how they were totally better in one -two days and could see better than they could for years and that is not the case with me. In fact, I am only now getting back to close to as well as I saw before surgery. Still hoping for more progress!

I'll try to get your package mailed tomorrow or Saturday, Katie!

Correct me if I got anything on the list wrong. Okay?

Jeanne

o

Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 19:32

Haha - Glad you got a good laugh out of my package, and that it arrived safe & sound, Jeanne. I will send the brandied figs recipes to you, and maybe I can figure out how to post them here, too. Hope you continue to see improvement every day! No rush on sending my package.

Vina, your pond is lovely. I'm a rock hound, too. We have rocks everywhere from our roaming travels out west where some beauties can be found. Maybe I need to construct a pond for them...

Corrine, I cooked quinoa for dinner last night. Very different, and so GOOD! I can see it will become a staple in our house.

We have really been getting the rain this week. More than 4.6 inches in the rain gauge for the past 48 hours. Its been such a relief, and the temps have been just wonderful.

Katie

o

Katie, I tried the brandied figs this evening on vanilla ice cream and they are excellent! Once again, thanks so much!

I thought I would pass along the two recipes I tried in the crock pot this week. I'll type one now and another tomorrow - at at least soon. We liked both of them

Honey Ribs and Rice

2 lbs. extra lean ribs (the ones I used were pork)
1 can (10 1/2 oz.) condensed beef broth
1/2 cup water
2 T. maple syrup
2 T. honey
3 T. soy sauce (we used a little less)
2 T. barbecue sauce (the one I used was honey barbecue sauce)
1/2 tsp. dry mustard

Wash the ribs and pat dry. (I don't think I did this, but it says to...LOL) Cut into single servings. Combine remaining ingredients in crock pot and stir. Add ribs. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or high 4-5 hours.

Serve with rice.
4 Servings

Jeanne

o

Heidi, my apologies for not getting that box off yet. I had to head to Columbus today to help my daughter move her stuff out of her college apartment and store it at my sons nearby until she can move into her new one in August. She has a three week difference between having to be out of one and in the other. She doesn't stay at school during the summer but they had a ten month lease. Crazy. It was hot and she had nothing packed and I can't say she is a good housekeeper so we had quite a job. My husband and son are on a European vacation so they were not here to help.

I have to work all day tomorrow and Saturday so will try to get it off on Sunday. I realize the yummies I made might just not be good to ship in the heat. Darn it.

Headed to bed, long hot day. Margo

o

Becky~I'm almost ready to send your package and am hoping to get it out by Saturday. I'll be sure to post the DC# when I get it.
I love everybody's pictures!! Heidi~your pretty pink flowering plant is Kiss-Me-Over-the-Garden-Gate which is much loved by bees. It's also a vigorous self sower. Really nice plant.
Katie~Please, please, send some of your rain up here...my lawn is getting crunchy!

o

Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 23:51

Jeanne, that recipe sounds delicious! And the ROS is gorgeous! Mine are very plain looking compared to that!

I've already got 2 recipes from this swap to use when the kids come home in a couple of weeks! Keep them coming, please!

Shirley!

o

Thank you for the Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate i.d. I planted those seeds in 2 places and the ones on the west side never came up. I forgot I planted some out front where this one popped up, but I'm very happy.
Margo--no hurry. Whenever it works for you. I know a lot of college kids have the same problem. My niece and her roommate will be homeless for a week between apartments. They are trying to figure out which friend they can stay with on what night, but they can't give up their jobs for a week or there's no money coming in. Oh moving! What a job. I love to pack and use the tape gun, but not the loading, unloading and unpacking.
My computer is threatening to do down. I'm on a loaner right now.
Heidi

o

Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 18:27

Vina ~~ Congrates on your 1st place ribbons and a successful swap/sale.~~

I sure would love to be a butterfly & fly over to all of your gardens. Nice pics you've shared.

Mmmm, that ribs recipe for the crockpot is a teaser. I love ribs, but confess I've only made country style pork ribs. The others seem so expensive for the meat you see on the bones. Now that we have grass fed beef from my brother's farm we can try this out.

Katie ~~ glad you liked the quinoa.
My husband loves it when I have prepared hearty salads in the frig ready to eat when he has a spare moment. Since we live and work at a camp with lots going on he takes little breaks when he can to eat & sit still in the quiet of our home or back patio. This week we have 400+ 4-6th graders, day campers, and horse campers. Tonight others come in for the weekend. Then on Monday we start all over again with a new batch of campers.

Thunderstorms are unusual for us in summer, but we've had several of them lately. Hail was predicted, but thankfully the clouds have passed for now & the sun is back. More expected in evening & throughout weekend as we have an usual front stuck here.

Monarda opened up yesterday, so now that the storm is over I'm going to go out in my swimsuit to tie up the tomatoes again (yeah that they need it) and hope to see a hummingbird feasting on the flowers.

The other night I saw a pair do a dance together.I never tire of watching the birds entertain at the fountains and birdbaths. As I type I'm watching a junco at the bird bath doing something unusual sitting down in it rather than fluttering & hoping about while standing in it. Wish I could catch a photo of those birds because they're so cute. My p & s camera is too slow focusing. When I try with my phone there's just a blur. Another nest was made in a planter on the stand next to our shed and those babies flew away last week. This is the 2nd nest they've made this spring and the 1st was outside our front door in a planter on the wall. The adults are quite visible, but rarely the juvenile birds because they blend into the woodland garden so well. I was thrilled to see one just now on the wood chipped path right outside my window here. It pays to hang out at the computer sometimes.

This morning our son found a robin's 1/2 shell in the driveway, so another batch of baby robins are nearby. I'm glad to have so many feathered friends to eat insects & weed seeds for me. I'm willing to share the earthworms from the lawn in the evenings as long as they eat a 1/2 dozen of mosquitoes as well. Those I do not like, but live in the damp forest and creek below our home.

I received a TY note today from a camper who received a scholarship we had donated this spring. She wrote a nice note about her favorite thing being the nature center and why along with a drawing of a rabbit on the grass. An office staff member picked it to give to me knowing I work to make the nature center kid-interesting. Nature is my favorite, too.

Enjoy the weekend~
Corrine

o

Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 20:00

Corrine, how great to have all the different kinds of birds coming in! I get a variety, but have never had them nest in my yard. I hear so many different kinds, but so far, this summer, it's just been the robins and goldfinches coming in, oh, and the doves. And I know the Red Bellied Woodpecker is out there, I hear him, but I've never seen him this year!
400 plus campers - that HAS to keep you busy!

I haven't had any butterflies come in the past two days, wondering why. Well, I'm wrong, there are always 2-3 cabbage whites out there.

I'm thinking, now, I'll mail Beth's package on Monday, along with another swap package and packages to both the boys. One trip for all beats two or three trips anyday!
I think I'll still be under the deadline.

Have a great night everyone!
Shirley!

o

My dear husband went to the post office for me, Katie, so your package is on its way! The number is:
Hope I got that typed in there correctly.

Still having issues with eye surgery. I placed a call to the doctor's office. I can see a lot better than a few days ago, but it's not comfortable at all and it seems it should be by now.

Here's the other crock pot recipe I made this week. It's actually written for tuna but says you can substitute chicken, which I did. I can't imagine tuna in a Chinese recipe. Also, I used the last of the soy sauce in the ribs recipe so we had to make this without the soy sauce.

Chinese Cashew Tuna

1 can (7 oz.) tuna, drained and flaked
1 cup diced celery
1/2 c. minced onion
3 T. butter
1 can (10 3/4 oz.) cream of mushroom soup
1 can (16 oz.) bean sprouts
1 T. soy sauce
1 cup cashew nuts, coarsely chopped
1 can (5 1/2 oz.) chow mein noodles

(I added the cashews after cooking, but I'm typing the recipe as it is written.)

Combine all ingredients except chow mein noodles in crock pot. Stir well. Cover and cook on low for 5-9 hours or on high for 2-3 hours.

Serve with chow mein noodles.
It says it serves 4.

Okay, waiting for the eye doctor to call me back. I know they must hate weekend calls, but a phone call won't take much of his time!
Have a great weekend.

Jeanne

o

Vina,

Your package went out today. I image you'll get it Monday. Here's the DC #0311 1660 0002 0938 7649.

o

Hey everyone! I posted on Friday...and now its gone?
That ROS is beautiful! I wish I could get them to flower like that. They usually last one year, till the deer get them.

Billy's 4th BDay party was yesterday :)It was almost 90, but with the tent and the pool we had a great time. He now officially has more toys than any 1 kid needs, lol! :)

And I'm going to give that ribs crockpot recipe a try...that sounds yummy! :)

It's raining out this morning, FINALLY! It's only suppose to last a few hours and then get really muggy, but beggars can't be choosers.

Have a great Sunday!

o

Hey everyone! I posted on Friday...and now its gone?
That ROS is beautiful! I wish I could get them to flower like that. They usually last one year, till the deer get them.

Billy's 4th BDay party was yesterday :)It was almost 90, but with the tent and the pool we had a great time. He now officially has more toys than any 1 kid needs, lol! :)

And I'm going to give that ribs crockpot recipe a try...that sounds yummy! :)

It's raining out this morning, FINALLY! It's only suppose to last a few hours and then get really muggy, but beggars can't be choosers.

Have a great Sunday!

o

I was out watering and came across this flower which I am sure is a rudbeckia but not sure what variety. Does anyone know what I am growing? I love it.

Heidi, I am heading to the post office this afternoon to get a weight and will print off a label here at home. That means it will be mailed in the morning. Finally.

Margo

o
RE: : fotess - july cookbook swap

By the way, the flower looks like it is two parts but that is all one flower. I love the uniqueness of the center.

o

I'm late, not really quite sure why I am running late, but I am.....to much goofing off outside I suppose!!! Sharon, I will get your package out in the next couple of days!

Jeanne, the crockpot ribs sound wonderful!!!!!!

Vina, congrats on the blue ribbon!!!!! Happy Birthday to Billy, the young man of the house.

Kiss Me Over The Garden Gate....I have tried and tried and tried to grow it without success. I am quite sure it is me and not bad seeds. I should probably try Wintersowing it.

Two nights ago, we had rain, a glorious downfall of water from above. Now that is unusual here in Southern California....rain in July. So nice!!!! AAAAHHHH, but now it is time to water again. I better get to it!

Happy Sunday to all!

Annie

o

When I got home from a family picnic on Saturday my package from Vina was waiting for me. Thanks so much for everything! I haven't had a chance to peruse my new cookbook yet, but can't wait to do so. And how did you know that I love tea?! Thanks again Vina!
Margo~I don't know which Rudbeckia you have, but I love it. It's so unique. I know they might not come true, but will you be collecting seeds to swap? (hint, hint)
Still no rain here. We need is soooo badly.

o

Jaynine, I wouldn't mind sending you some seeds if they happened to produce. Send me an email with your address and I will send them once they are ready. If I don't jot it down now, I will forget for sure.

It is a pretty plant and not even sure where it came from. Could have been seeds I planted or an actual plant sent to me in trade. I just have to be better about recording things. I even bought a garden journal last year and nothing in it yet. I bought spoons to handcraft markers and only one has made it out to the garden so far. I have such grand plans and then don't find the time.

I bought postage online and then my printer is out of ink. With hubby out of town, have no idea where he buys our ink and if the printer is even out. We had a power failure the other day and we unplugged everything and now all that is coming out is blank paper. I called my daughter to try to print it out at her friends house before she heads for home. I hope she shows up with it or I am going to have to come up with some other plan. Hang in there with me Heidi.

Margo

o
RE: : fotess - july cookbook swap

I did it. My daughter brought home the print out and the box is going to go out in the morning. It has been one of those days for me today.

9405 5036 9930 0076 5060 23

Sorry for the delay Heidi. Please take the bubble wrap package on the top, (it has a note on it) and pop it in the freezer for about 15 minutes before you even attempt to open it. I am hoping it stays in air conditioning along the way but if it sits outside your door for any time, melt will happen. If it is put in the freezer, it should still be edible but the goodies will most probably be melted to each other. I thought about it after I made them but took the chance. Should still be yummy.

Margo

o

Sun, Jul 15, 12 at 21:25

Beth, your package is all packed and ready to head for the post office tomorrow, will post DC# when I get back!

Margo, beautiful rudbeckia!

Shirley!

o

Shirley, package may be there today. I bent (maybe stretched) the rules a bit. I'll explain after you have a looksee.
Margo. love that rudbeckia. Are you saying it is not two layers of petals?
More electrical problems with my camper. If this keeps up, I'll be glad when it's time to go home.

o

Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 9:46

Beth, I kind of, sorta, did the same thing! You'll understand when the package gets there!

Jeanne, hope all is going better for you!

Shirley!

o

The packages are flying! I'll try to update the list this evening. I'm eager to hear about cookbooks, gadgets, and snacks. What I sent for a snack is iffy about hot weather, too, so we'll see how it goes. You're right, Margo, things can always be popped into the freezer.

The doctor called me back Friday evening and suggested a different order for how I do my eyedrops and to refrigerate one of them and use more of the over the counter natural tears type drops inbetween times for the presctipiton drops. Now I have about 40 minutes between each of the three kinds - so it's a watch the clock all day type of thing. Why don't they tell you these things to start with instead of waiting until your eye hurts for days and days? I complained about the stinging and burning last Tuesday and called the office the next day to say it was no better. The call to the doctor at his home on Friday evening finally got me on the right track. Anyway, apparently the srgery makes your eye dry, the prescription drops make your eye dry, and dry eyes are slow to heal. Soon I will be an authority on all of this.

Love the rudbeckia!

Jeanne

o
RE: new: july cookbook swap

I'm so sorry. It was Katie's birthday on Saturday and I totally forgot to post it here. A belated Happy Birthday, Katie. I hope you have a wonderful year!

Feeling a bit late...
Jeanne

o

Becky's package is FINALLY on it's way...DC#9405503699300077021761.

o

Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 14:31

Beth, the cookbook and some accessories are on the way!
DC# 03121430000298456936

Your package was waiting on me when I got home, and it is simply GREAT!

Beth sent:
An "Iowa - the place to cook" cookbook, which looks to have lots of yummy recipes;
a July 2012 issue of "Taste of the South" magazine, with a red, white and blue trifle on the front that cools me down just looking at it!
a Microfiber bar mop, I actually use these to dust with;
a bag of M&Ms;
an egg slicer!!! Mine broke, it was ancient, so this is a very welcome gadget!
a baggie of celery seed which I use in several dishes/recipes and can also used in the recipe Beth sent which is, TA DA!! Pickled Eggs and Beets! I have wanted this recipe forever, and have never found one that uses cloves and cinnamon!
Beth, excellent swap package! Thank You!!
BTW, my kids loved the recipe you sent last year, the Cherry Chocolate bars, got a request for them when the kids come in a few weeks!
Shirley!

o

Thanks Shirley. The guys at the ranch love those bars too and they couldn't be easier.
The pickled egg and beets recipe is from a 1930's cookbook used by my Mom and Grandmother.
Ok here is the stretch.... both Mom and Grandmother used to call eggs "hen fruit" and/or "Cackleberries". Anyone else ever heard that before?

o

Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 15:41

Beth, both my grandmothers used to call eggs "cackleberries"! Haven't thought of that in years!

And my MIL was the only one I've ever known to use both the cinnamon and cloves in her pickled eggs. My daughter has all her old recipes now, but that one wasn't in with the rest, so I really am glad you sent it! Wait til my boys find out! They've been reduced to eating the local bar's pickled eggs, which is chancy at best!

It looks like we're in for a storm - YEA!!!!
Shirley!

o
Almost forgot!

Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 16:05

Happy Belated Birthday, Katie! Hope your day was great!
Shirley!

o

Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 22:59

Well I thought I had posted to this thread last night, but I guess it didn't go through? Hmmm

Thanks so much for the birthday wishes, ladies. It was a nice day spent with friends and my husband, who just got home from Wisconsin.

And guess what I found on my doorstep when I arrived home today? A box from Jeanne! My husband quizzingly asked, "What's this?" A surprise, I told him, from "the swap." He watched me carefully cut through the tape. Upon opening it, I discovered a big container of homemade candies, made with pretzels, pecans, and chocolate (made from rolos)! They survived the summer temps just fine! Next followed a very cute garden ornament, lovely card, a savory pineapple cookbooklet, and a fantastic Emeril cookbook were also inside. He looked at all the treats and gifts, and said, "Why is she so sweet to you?" hahahaha!

Thanks so much, Jeanne! What a fabulous package!! What a great one for my first swap, too! I have some of Emeril's cookware, but none of his books. Love his style of cooking. And I already picked out a pineapple sesame Cornish hen recipe I want to make soon. Half the box of candies are already gone, too. LOL!

Margo, that is a stunning rudbeckia. If you figure out what variety it is, please let us know because I'd like to see about finding some.

Ended up coming home from work and tilling up some fresh earth. I've got round 2 of summer squash, zucchini, and butternut squash plants I started from seed that we put in the ground. They should grow well into November.

Corrine, I made your quinoa recipe again tonight. This time my husband got to sample it. Yum!!, he says.

Katie

o

Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 23:04

Oh! And I almost forgot: my kitchen tool is the coolest little gadget! A cutting tool for cutting anything from fruits, melons, cheese slices, dough, cookies, veggies - you name it! And the shape? A flower, or course! Perfect!

o

Shirley, did you get that storm? We need rain so bad. I am running the sprinkler for a couple hours every night moving it from garden to garden. I am using the hose out front to water the small trees and bushes.

That Rudbeckia is only one layer but looks like two. It is so neat looking. I am keeping it watered so I don't lose it.

I received my box today from Heidi. There wasn't one book but three. There is a Pasta cookbook which not only gives recipes but there are recipes to make pasta itself as well as stuffing pasta. Pasta meals are a favorite here. The next book is Cooking Healthy with a Man in Mind. Now Heidi, that one started quite a conversation at the table tonight when I opened the box. LOL My "man" hasn't seen it yet. The third is Pleasure Gardens which is a book meant to "inspire rather than instruct". Very nice. I love all three. Heidi also included a flowered kitchen towel, (who can't use a new towel for the kitchen?). There was also a glass that measures teaspoons, up to 30 and tablespoons, up to 10. I know this is going to get a lot of use.

Thank you Heidi for the great box. I hope yours gets there soon. I did drop it at the post office this morning.

Margo

o

Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 23:35

Sounds like a lot of great boxes! Another good swap idea from Jeanne!

Margo, no rain. It clouded up but as ever, passed on to the north. I waited until 8 to water, bummer, got all bit up!

It didn't reach 100 here today, sure felt like it was tho. We're going to the Toledo Zoo tomorrow, and it is supposed to be at least 100 down there. We're going to go early to try and beat most of the heat. We'll see how it goes. I'll bet the polar bears won't be very active!

Have a great day tomorrow!
Shirley!

o

Morning Everyone!

That Rudbeckia is gorgeous. The way it looks double is so interesting. Does it look like that in person too?

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY KATIE! That sounded like a terrific box!

In fact they ALL sound like terrific boxes...and speaking of terrific boxes, I rec'd mine from Becky yesterday.

Becky, I am officially spoiled! with this box. :)

Becky sent me:
~2 Goose berry Patch Cookbooks. One for grilling and the other with Light and Easy Recipes. I've already looked through both, and with the heat we've been having I'm actually using both of them today!
~a PINK spatula! LOVE IT!!
~4 Pack of Dish towels. SO CUTE!
~AND...from her kitchen...4 homemade canned jars of lovliness!! Habanero' Gold Jam, Annie's Salsa (having this morning with my eggs), Grape Lime Jelly and SUPER YUMMY YUMMY (needed to say that twice!) Apple Pie Jam.
As soon as they arrived I opened the Apple Pie Jam, just to try it. OH Holy Moly is that good!!!
And best of all, Becky sent recipes for all of them so I can can them myself.

BIG HUGE THANKS TO BECKY!!! I loved everything!!!

Going to be in the 100's here today as well. No rain in sight for at least a week.
Shirley, be careful at the zoo. The polar bears shouldn't be the only thing moving slower today :) I think we all will.

Stay cool!
vina

o

So glad the package arrived safely. It didn't have to go far, but I always feel I have to mummify glass in bubble wrap and zip baggies. Enjoy!

o

I'm so glad your box made it! When I saw that cookbook keeping your Man in Mind I remembered you had a few 'big kids' at home and that might be good. I just loved the garden book, too.
I admit I didn't follow all the rules. I couldn't come up with a good idea for something to eat that wouldn't melt, dry out or get yucky so I put in the towel. I have more fun buying people towels...women don't buy those for themselves. My grandmother went to assisted living and she had a drawer full of new towels for "someday". Use the good towels, girls!
Heidi

o

Sharon,

Your box is ready to go. I will send it on its way tonight or tomorrow....most likely tomorrow. I will post the DC # after I send.

Becky...LOL! No kidding..."mummify glass in bubble wrap and zip baggies"......

These boxes are full of variety!! Very cool!

Annie

o

Whew! It's 101 toasty degrees today!!! We don't normally get this in the northeast. That apple pie jam works great as an ice cream topping too. Put some in a bowl, add a little water and microwave for 15 seconds or until desired consistency to put on ice cream.

o

Definitely time for an update. So many great packages being sent and received!

Jeanne will exchange with Katie. Both have received.
Shirley will exchange with Beth. Shirley has received.
Heidi will exchange with Margo. Margo has received.
Becky will send to Vina. Becky sent.
Vina will send to Janine. Vina received.
Janine will send to Becky. Janine sent.

I hope I got all of this typed in correctly. I'll recheck it tomorrow.
The timer just went off. Have to check my frozen pizza that is cooking in the oven. Well, you know what I am having for dinner!

Sorry about the hot temperatures for many. We actually got a few cooler days lately. Very much appreciated.

Jeanne

o

Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 8:38

Good Morning, thought you all might like to see a pic of Lucas, the baby Indian Elephant at the Toledo Zoo! We were there yesterday, and the heat was super bad, but this little guy made it worth it!
Shirley!

o
Another pic!

Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 8:43

And this is Lucas and his Mom! He is just a little over a year old. The heat didn't bug him at all, he was busy frisking all over the enclosure! Really cute!

o

Love the pictures of Momma & Baby, Jeanne!

I just received an awesome package from Janine! I love everything in it!

First off, she sent a cookbook "Recipes from Home, Union Connecticut." It's put together by their elementary school. I love local cookbooks like this!

Next she sent "Stor-it" reusable bags for storing fruits and veggies in. I'm an environmental consultant. Why didn't I know about these sooner?! I just went grocery shopping yesterday, so I'm sure they'll come in handy.

Next she sent me lots of seeds! All favorites too. Lots of zinnias, nasturtiums, rudbeckia and kale! Perfect

For the something edible, she sent something for the doggies as well as me! For the doggies Eukanuba Naturally Wild dog food (treats). They are going to LOVE you!

For me, a mix of different Stash teas. I love their teas.

Thank you so much Janine! It's the perfect package!

o

Becky,
I'm so glad your package arrived safely and that you liked it.
This has been such a good swap...I really enjoyed it!
Vina~I can see why your kids love those Nerds pops. They're addicting!

o

Sharon,

Your package went out today.

DC# 0312 0090 0002 0646 2775...flat rate priority

I would think you should receive on Friday or Saturday.

Jaynine, fantastic package from Becky!! Re-useable bags for fruits and vegetables...great idea!

Annie

o

Margo--your box came. What a glorious box of treasures!
She sent:
Fresh Fruit & Vegetables cook book. I'm eating a mix of garden veggies right now-cherry tomatoes, cukes, sugar snap peas (pods & all), purple carrots, carrots, green beans. I'll have lots of chances to use this. It's perfect for me. Thank you.
purple teapot shaped tea bag coaster complete with teas: Chai, Pomegranite, Pomegranite Raspberry (can't wait to try these--there's another cold drink I like that has pomegranite in it so I'm excited) and orange caramel
purse mate-holds your purse so you don't set it on the floor and she said she keeps one in her purse so wherever she is she can use it. Great idea.
Double-sided spatula. My daughter the cook (12) said, "Oh, it's my dream come true!" She wanted to take possession of it. We agreed to keep it in the kitchen and she can use it. The other daughter, 16, doesn't cook. This week she asked me to show her how to make spaghetti so we were making it and she said, "Oh, where is that scepter, mom?" You mean the spatula? Yeah, that thing. She's very dramatic-loves speech, one-act, Greek and Roman gods, all of it. Just ask for the scepter!
sticky notes which say, "From garden to table...from nature to home" for marking the best recipes. You were thinking ahead! Smart.
For a goodie she sent Thin Mint Cookies which she made. I love these, but have never made them. (Recipe at bottom).
AND she sent me seeds-all kinds of fun things I can't wait to plant and urge into germination. blackberry lily, echinacea pixie meadowbrite, sunflower lemon queen (the birds ate my seeds this year, even though I planted twice), yellow blanketflower (I LOVE blanketflower), gaillardia red plume, rudbeckia cordoba, rudbeckia denver daisy, fanfare gaillardia, rudbeckia wild golden glow, helianthus jade, pink poppy
Thank you! Thank you!

Thin Mint Cookies
Ingredients: Ritz crackers
chocolate bark coating
peppermint (candy) oil
Melt approx. 10 squares of chocolate in small crock pot stirring as chocolate melts. If more cookies are wanted, use more squares in larger crock pot or use double boiler. Once all chocolate melts drop 1-2 drops, more if using larger amount of chocoate. Drop crackers one at a time using a fork to remove. Coat fully, bang off excess ligthly with creacer on fork. Place on waxed paper to dry. Now you have a cookie!

o

Wednesday, on my way to Baltimore I stopped at my daughter's to pick up my swap package from Shirley.
This is perfect for my crew of popcorn lovers.
A custom designed book of Popcorn recipes including treats like Hot mustard popcorn and and Brown Sugar lollipops made from popcorn.
bags of microwave popcorn.
serving boxes and a set of bowls and napkins all in a red and white theme.
Shirley included Molly McButter, Hidden Valley Ranch Buttermilk dressing powder and a big jar of SeasonAll salt to spice it up a bit
Shirley this is a yummy and fun combo especially now when it is too hot for a lot of cooking /baking.
This has been a fun swap. Many thanks
bethb

o

Fri, Jul 20, 12 at 9:16

Glad you liked the package, Beth! I couldn't find a lot of the spice mixes that were in the recipes, hopefully you will have better luck!

We had a good rain yesterday, and it's cloudy and overcast again today. YEA! We could still use some more rain!

Jeanne, are you doing any better, eyewise?

Have a great day, everyone!
Shirley!

o

I'm sorry I have been online to check the board more often. Heidi, I loved hearing about the scepter! LOL Sometimes it is a good word even if it's not the right one and I think it was a good word in her case.
I will update our list really soon. The packages that are being received are all fabulous!
As for my eye, I got up pretty disgusted with my lack of improvement today and called the doctor's office once again. This time they told me to stop using one of the prescription eye drops and to pick up an over the counter lubricating gel for my eye. After I bought that this afternoon, it's the best it has felt so far so maybe we are finally on the right track.
Well, time for me to head up to bed. I have just gotten later and later on my bedtime which makes me later and later getting up in the morning.

Jeanne

o

Updating the list for us:

Shirley will exchange with Beth. Both have received.
Annie will exchange with Sharon. Annie sent.
Heidi will exchange with Margo. Margo has received.
Janine will send to Becky. Becky has received.

I hope I got this caught up correctly. If there are any errors let me know. This has been so much fun, I think we should repeat it one month next year! What do you think?

Jeanne

o

Sat, Jul 21, 12 at 13:46

That's a great idea, Jeanne! This is fun and easy, let's do it again!
Shirley!

o

Jeanne, I agree. This was a good swap and we will have the cookbooks forever.

I wanted you to know that Heidi has received my box. I think you missed that post but I understand. Hosting is a lot of work and hard to keep up with.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. I should have gardened as the weather is perfect but I slept terrible all night and just got up at 5 am which has resulted in a lazy day full of cat naps. Now off to work to cover for someone for three hours.

Margo

o

Thanks, Margo!
We are close to finishing up with this swap.
We got a good bit of rain earlier and it is cooler than it has been. Hooray!

Shirley will exchange with Beth. Both have received.
Annie will exchange with Sharon. Annie sent.
Heidi will exchange with Margo. Both have received.
Janine will send to Becky. Becky has received

Jeanne

o

Annie your box has arrived at my house and is WONDERFUL!!!I'm so blessed. This was a never ending box. How did you get it all in. This is what she sent:
2 cookbooks
Homemade Vanilla
Blackberry jam
Ton of candy
Knife
Spatula
I'm going to have fun going throu these books. The vanilla smells so good. THANK YOU!
Your box is ready to go and will be in the mail on Monday or Tuesday.
This was a good trade, Thanks Shirley.
gmom

o

Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 8:58

Good Morning!
I'm getting ready for a visit from my daughter, SIL and two granddaughters, so I might not be posting much in the next few days.
Just wanted to tell Jeanne that this was, as always, a great swap, and thanks for hosting when you had so much else going on in your life!
Back to the cleaning!
Shirley!

o

Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 11:38

Good morning, FOTESS-ers,
Just dropping by to say how enjoyable this swap was. I think it is a great idea to re-visit this swap theme every year, especially during the heat of summer, or even the dead of winter.
Thanks for hosting a great swap, Jeanne!

Katie

o

I think everyone has received now. if that's wrong, let me know and I will check on the package that was to be sent.

I hope everyone is doing well. My eye is improving. Part of that may be that I could stop one of the presciption eyedrops and I am putting the other one in only twice a day now. I tried to get the doctor to postpone the surgery on my second eye, but he assures me that the first eye will be all well in two weeks when he does the second eye. Sure hope so!

Love this swap!
Jeanne

o

Jeanne, so glad you sound like your on the mend for the first eye, and wishing you nothing but good thoughts for your surgery with the second eye.

I agree this has been a terrific swap! :D
vina

o

Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 19:45

Just stopped by to share some gardening news!
My canadian milkvetch, wild senna, verbena hastata, verbena bonariensis, cleome, partridge pea and one of the blue sages are blooming! Yea!! These were all WSed. I am totally pleased! The milkvetch and the wild senna are 2nd year plants. The verbena hastata is a lovely little flower that looks like a miniature lavender ratibida!

Jeanne, best of luck with the 2nd eye surgery!
Shirley!

o

Jeanne,

Sharon (GMOM) emailed me....my package is on its way. I will post after I receive.

Thanks again for a super swap....very fun! Cheers for the first eye!

Annie

o

Good Morning!

I opened Sharon's (GMOM)cookbook fun last night!!!!! Love it all Sharon!

*Several crochet and handmade pot holders....I think the ones with the birds are pot holders???? I will email you!
*Gardening gloves
*America's Country Inn Cookbook
*Promise Yourself a Good Meal With Optimism Cookbook (Optimist Club)
*Fresh Delights Fruits and Vegetables Cookbook
*Tropical Blossoms Of The Caribbean...a little book just about specific Caribbean flowers...pics and descriptions!
*Sweet and Salty Mix

Thanks so very much!!!!

Annie

o

Excuse me for getting ahead of myself - LOL - now we are complete with all the July swaps sent and received.

Annie, it sounds like you received a wonderful swap package. Everyone did great this month.

Jeanne

o

I received my package from Faye today and "Oh what a package it was." She had made a beautiful card.
Taste of Home recipe book for smoothies...love those
A pot hanger
A mini wind chime and several packages of seeds
Mesa Gaillardia
Cleusine Coracana Green Cat
Echinacea double Decker
Seastar sedum Pulchellum
Heuchera - Paris
Sedum "Frosty Morn"
Morning Glory "Nil Kikyo-Zaki"
Sedum Tricolor

Thank you so very much Faye. Aren't gardeners wonderful!

Ellie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here