Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southerncharm1_gw

NEW: Incredible Edibles August Ideas

southerncharm1
15 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm Kathy and I am going to host Augusts Incredible Edibles Swap. I was thinking *Good on the Grill*, but it's still open for suggestion of course! :) and possibly decide on host/themes for those next few months to come. Any volunteers? Any suggestions? :)

July (Favorite Color) Heather/Iheartroscoe

August ()- Kathy/SouthernCharm1

September ()-

October ()-

November ()-

December ()-

If we get more volunteers we could go into next year. Let's keep Incredible Edibles ALIVE!

Comments (29)

• gardenkitteh
    15 years ago

I think by December I'll have enough experience to host a swap. Before then, I'm a bit leery.

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I had an idea recently (I'm always full of it. Errr! I mean full of them!) How about we exchange a favorite recipe and the seeds that would go along with it. For instance if your recipe is for Spaghetti sauce, you'd give your partner the recipe for Spaghetti sauce and seeds for Roma Tomatoes, onions & oregano (whatever goes in the sauce). If your recipe is for pesto, you might give your partner garlic seeds, parsley & basil seeds. Meatloaf? Maybe onions, peppers & mustard seeds. What would you call the swap though?

I wish my work was a little more stable. I don't feel comfortable in hosting a swap right now. I always feel like I'm in flux.

I do like the idea of Good on the Grill for August!

In the fall it might be nice to trade those things that remind you of fall: squashes, apples, pears, grapes, cinnamon, pumpkins, etc.

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

First off the important stuff...I am in for the August Swap LOL!!I like the Good on The Grill idea for August.

And I also like the Recipe Idea as well....maybe for November...as people like to try new things for Thanksgiving???...just a thought. LOL.

I could maybe host for October...I was thinking about the idea of fall related seeds and items...and I thought 'Autumn Harvest' could be the theme...all the things you relate with the Fall harvest table ie. Squash, Pumpkin, Peppers, Brussel Sprouts, Kale, Herbs,Corn etc.

And maybe someone could do a Greens theme...all kinds of lettuce and herbs and leafy things...maybe that one would make a better early Spring theme...after all I think we could keep this going forever if we put our heads together LOL!!

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Super Savory Incredible Edibles!?! LOL I think something like that would have a twist to the Incredible Edibles and make it unique, after all we have to sample our hard work!. You open yourself up to a possible new flavor and have the veggie seeds to go along with it to make it happen. That is a super Idea! Booberry, you are definitely full of AWESOME ideas! Keep em coming!!!

Gardenkitteh you wanna host December? Should I put you down for then? lol We can come up with a Theme as they come... I'm thinking something along the lines of hot chocolate swap and favorite Winter desert recipe etc... lol Maybe an Incredible Edible Appreciation month?

We'll put Super Savory down for September if that sounds good. Someone wanna host it?

July (FAV. COLOR) Heather/Iheartroscoe
    September (SUPER SAVORY)- OPEN For host/hostess.
    October ()- OPEN for both
    November ()- OPEN for both
    December ()- OPEN for both maybe ;)

I'm gonna leave Augusts theme open till we have more input, just in case.

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

THIS IS AWESOME!!! I feel all the sudden like I have ADHD! If my eyes cross that will be ok, they will work it out eventually. HAHA!

October (AUTUMN HARVEST)- SunnyK/
    November ()- OPEN for both
    December ()- OPEN for both maybe ;)
    January ()-
    February ()-
    March ()- OPEN for suggestions on a Green Theme and Host/ess
    April ()-

I'm gonna leave Augusts theme open till we have more input, just in case.

Sunnyk you are right, we could keep it going and going strong! I got you as being a participant of Augusts Swap.

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

I was thinking for December, we could do a Grab Bag! Like what is done at Christmas all the time, only we do seeds, and maybe a garden item or two. Swap seeds and a present: gloves, seed dispensers, seed envelopes, maybe a candle veggie or fruit scented, etc.
    It could have a theme, but also does not need one being Christmas is the holiday. I know it might seem random if it does not have a specific theme, but I think that makes it all more fun! Maybe you could make suggestions on what you would like if too general?
    I am new to this so please do not laugh if my ideas sounds dumb! haha!
    I think it would be cool to have the seeds wrapped up like little presents to open being Christmas!
    Maybe someone has an idea on how to do an actual grab bag. I will keep on thinking! I would just love to see a Christmas themed swap so much! Christy

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

Oh, another December idea, exchange seeds with Christmas or winter related names within the plant's name, example, Christmas Grapes Tomato, Snow White Cherry, Snowball radish, Snowball tomato, Evergreen Tomato, Icicle Radish, Cinnamon basil, That is just what I got off the top of my head just sitting here, I know there are many veggies that would follow these guidelines, and should be quite easy and fun to do! I think this is better than my grab bag idea, so scratch that is you like this better! Christy

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

Oh, and if you do like the Christmas/Winter named seeds idea, I would not mind hosting it, I should be with it by then!

• iheartroscoe
    15 years ago

I can host another swap later in the year. November would be good, as soon as we find a theme!

I think the recipe idea is also great! I like to cook, too, so that would be perfect.

And Winter named seeds for December is a perfect match.

I'll post later if I think of something for November :)

• booberry85
    15 years ago

In January or February, how about a "Winter Relief" swap. We could trade things that are sunny colors or have "sun" or "summer" in the title. Things like Sungold tomatoes, yellow Doll watermelons, summer squash, Sunray Peppers, Sunray squash, Sunburst or Sunray beans, Summer Dance cucumbers, etc.

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Superb ...this is getting so exciting!! =D I like the Christmas/Winter themed seeds/gift idea....plus I like the wrapping them idea as well. How much fun would that be so manty little seedy gifts all waiting to be opened .....this is so cool!!!

And here is to hoping that I dont mess up October too badly LOL....actually I am pretty excited to be hosting my favorite month!!

SunnyK
    Donna
    or you can just call me
    Mrs . October ;)

• iheartroscoe
    15 years ago

I was thinking for November maybe we can do a "Canning Swap". We could send each other vegetables that are good for canning/storing.

I was trying to think of something Thanksgiving related, but everything was very similar to October. :)

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

All the ideas listed sound good to me! I may "sit out" for August. Not because of the idea... just don't grow enough to swap in every group every month (sure is tempting though!)
    I don't know if all the winter months now have a theme but if there is one open (maybe January), I suggest Seeds for Winter Sowing. Lots of herbs do well with winter sowing and here in the south lettuce and other greens as well. I love winter sowing!
    If you need someone to host that in January, I will do it. Will keep reading to see what the consensus is on the schedule.
    Great group of ideas!
    Jeanne

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I'm a canner. I love the idea! I'd be willing to share some of those recipes too.

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

October (AUTUMN HARVEST)- SunnyK/Mrs. October ;) AKA Donna

November (CELLAR SQUIRRELS)- Iheartroscoe/Heather

December (WINTER WONDERLAND)- Bonechickchris/Christy

January (WINTER SOWING)- Sandlapperrose/Jeanne

February (SUNNY SIDE OF LIFE)-

March ()- OPEN for suggestions on a GREEN/SPRING Theme and Host/ess

April ()-

If I accidentally left someone out who wants to host a month please let me know, I didn't mean to I SWEAR!!! :) You all have wonderful Ideas, and don't worry about not having it all planned out, that's what we're all here for! :) And NO idea is a stupid idea!!! If you think of something just jump in a let it out!!! :)

Oh and the Theme titles are open for suggestion too, if you don't like the titles. We can change em. I just put what was suggested or what popped into my head at the moment. :)

Kathy

• gardenkitteh
    15 years ago

Put me down for September. And I was thinking the idea should be "Buried Treasure". Things that you either start with bulbs, or you eat the root crop. Like Onions, Garlic, Daylillies, Tarro, carrots, potatoes, radishes, etc.

Or we could do a theme of desserts. Fruits and things that are good additives for desserts. Like Roses, lavender, ground cherries, etc. Include a recipe with everything you send.

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

hello
    I would also like to be in for august I have lots of seeds that are good for the "Grill" theme.

I know this is an edible swap but what about edibles for the critters in the yard(caterpilars, butterflies, bees, and birds) would anyone be interested in this kind of swap.

and has anyone heard from beth b? she was my partner in the may swap and sent me a box but never sent me her address in CO. so I could send to her.
    I sent an e-mail and posted for her to get in touch with me on another post, but I have not heard from her, I'm wondering if everything is ok.

I just love all themes you guys are comming up with.
    michelle

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Are we all in favor of sending a recipe with each swap?

Based on your partners 2 favorite colors! WHAT FUN!

Good on the grill: favorite recipes with favorite grilling or summer time dishes including the seeds that the recipe calls for! (Will post more once we've all decided)

September (BURIED TREASURE)- Gardenkitteh
    (Things that you either start with bulbs, or you eat the root crop. Like Onions, Garlic, Daylillies, Tarro, carrots, potatoes, radishes, etc.)

November (CELLAR SQUIRRELS)- Iheartroscoe/Heather
    Send partners vegetables that are good for canning/storing with a great canning recipe.

Exchange seeds with Christmas or winter related names within the plant's name, example, Christmas Grapes Tomato, Snow White Cherry, Snowball radish, Snowball tomato, Evergreen Tomato, Icicle Radish, Cinnamon basil, I know there are many veggies that would follow these guidelines, and should be quite easy and fun to do! Don't forget to wrap seed packets up like little presents for added anticipation! :)

Seeds for Winter Sowing. Lots of herbs do well with winter sowing and here in the south lettuce and other greens as well. I love winter sowing!

February (SUNNY SIDE OF LIFE)-
    We could trade things that are sunny colors or have "sun" or "summer" in the title. Things like Sungold tomatoes, yellow Doll watermelons, summer squash, Sunray Peppers, Sunray squash, Sunburst or Sunray beans, Summer Dance cucumbers, etc.

March ()- OPEN FOR BOTH

April ()-Open for a Green SPRING theme!

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

I still like the idea of a recipe for something using mainly home grown produce ie. Salsa, Soup, or Sauce etc. etc....and providing the seeds to accompany the recipe :) Do we still have a month open for that one?

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

August ( )- Kathy/SouthernCharm1
    Good on the grill: favorite recipes for grilling or summer time dishes including the seeds that the recipe calls for!

(Things that you either start with bulbs, or you eat the root crop. Like Onions, Garlic, Daylillies, Tarro, carrots, potatoes, radishes, etc.)

All the things you relate with the Fall harvest table ie. Squash, Pumpkin, Peppers, Brussel Sprouts, Kale, Herbs,Corn etc.

November (CLEARLY CANNABLE)- Iheartroscoe/Heather
    Send partners vegetable seeds that are good for canning/storing with a great canning recipe.

Exchange seeds with Christmas or winter related names within the plant's name, example, Christmas Grapes Tomato, Snow White Cherry, Snowball radish, Snowball tomato, Evergreen Tomato, Icicle Radish, Cinnamon basil, I know there are many veggies that would follow these guidelines, and should be quite easy and fun to do! Don't forget to wrap seed packets up like little presents for added anticipation! :)

Seeds for Winter Sowing. Lots of herbs do well with winter sowing and here in the south lettuce and other greens as well. I love winter sowing!

February (SUNNY SIDE OF LIFE)- OPEN FOR HOSTESS/HOST
    We could trade things that are sunny colors or have "sun" or "summer" in the title. Things like Sungold tomatoes, yellow Doll watermelons, summer squash, Sunray Peppers, Sunray squash, Sunburst or Sunray beans, Summer Dance cucumbers, etc.

March (FEEDING FRENZY)- OPEN FOR HOSTESS/HOST
    Exchanging edibles for the critters in the yard (caterpillars, butterflies, bees, and birds) would anyone be interested in this kind of swap.

April (HOMEGROWN RECIPES)- OPEN FOR HOSTESS/HOST
    Exchanging recipes for something using mainly home grown produce ie. Salsa, Soup, or Sauce, etc....and providing the seeds to accompany the recipe.

We are also in need of hosts for February, March and April. Anyone wanna host them, or should we just wait till it gets closer to those?

We are off to a great start with planning ahead. If anyone would like to jump in and take over the planning calendar when we get down to a few months go for it! :) I would love to see this exchange thrive, with a little TLC we can all keep it up and running. *Wipes sweat from brows* lol

I'll post a new Calendar Thread for the latter half of 2008 for everyone to keep up with it, we'll just have to bump it up every so often so we don't lose it. :)

~Kathy~

• gardenkitteh
    15 years ago

I love the idea of sending a recipe with each swap.

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Hurray! I love recipes!

• amybabyboy3
    15 years ago

I will do February! Amy

• iheartroscoe
    15 years ago

I think we should send recipes, too!

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Recipes are cool with me :)

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

August ( )- Kathy/SouthernCharm1
    Good on the grill: favorite recipes for grilling or summer time dishes including the seeds that the recipe calls for!

All the things you relate with the Fall harvest table ie. Squash, Pumpkin, Peppers, Brussel Sprouts, Kale, Herbs,Corn etc.

November (CLEARLY CANNABLE)- Iheartroscoe/Heather
    Send partners vegetable seeds that are good for canning/storing with a great canning recipe.

February (SUNNY SIDE OF LIFE)- Amybabyboy3/Amy

March (FEEDING FRENZY)- OPEN FOR HOSTESS/HOST
    Exchanging edibles for the critters in the yard (caterpillars, butterflies, bees, and birds) would anyone be interested in this kind of swap.

April (HOMEGROWN RECIPES)- OPEN FOR HOSTESS/HOST
    Exchanging recipes for something using mainly home grown produce ie. Salsa, Soup, or Sauce, etc....and providing the seeds to accompany the recipe.

Thank you all for signing up to host these months ahead! :)

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Came up with another idea! You know how I am by now! LOL! I was looking for things for my swap partner to be and I saw Pop Rocks at the check out counter. I haven't seen them in years. I loved them when I was a kid! I picked them up. I put them back down again. Then I thought, wouldn't it be fun to have a swap that's reminiscent of childhood!? Maybe May 2009?

A few of your favorite fruits, herbs & veggies from when you were a kid and a story or two to go along with it.

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Look at you! Bein' all creative! LOL That is a very good idea. I'll put that down for May 2009. My favorite when I was little was Chik O Stick! YUMMMM!

I'll add it to the update-update-update on the upcoming events calendar! LOL :D

• happyseed
    15 years ago

I think the recipes are a wonderful idea and am so glad you ladies will lead the calendar swaps. The ideas all sound like fun. I am going to sit out the August swap even though it sounds wonderful. Please keep me posted. Sonja