Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
medontdo

update: mnf: butterflies and hummingbirds

medontdo
15 years ago

WELCOME!

This swap is to help us all get those lovely butteflies and hummingbirds to hang out a while in our gardens!

I will be posting partners on the 11th of June and the ship date is no later than the 25th.

Please send your partner at least 5 plants to create a butterfly/hummingbird garden.

Seeds do not count as plants but can be sent as extras.

Anything else that you send is extra. Keep it small and simple.

The most important thing is having fun! Yippee :)

So, here are the RULE RULES........

1. As per GW rules, you must be at least 18 years old to participate in this swap.

2. Signups go until the 10th. Packages must be sent by the 25th of June.

3. Make sure to get delivery confirmation so you'll know your package has arrived safely at its destination.

4. Oh, yeah ... and have fun!

Be sure to check back and post so we can get to know each other.

This is my first time hosting, so please feel free to cyber smack me if I do something silly :)

Looking forward to getting to know everyone better.

Allison

Comments (84)

• scouttiegirl
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Medo....you are crackin me up. All that worry for no reason. Remember now i live in Upstate NY home of the 6 foot snow storms. It really hasn't begun to get really hot yet here. We are in the high 70's low 80's.
    Yes I got the box. I had to wait to jump on to say I got it cause we too were getting some nasty rainstorm. Lots of thunder and lightening so didn't want to get on the puter.
    I totally didn't laugh about your packing job. I think it is brilliant. you will see why when you get my boxes. We kind of are on the same wave length...lol. Shredded paper is super duper grand! Thats how I pack most stuff. Ok so now for the fun part:
    I was very pleased with all you sent. Holy Moly I kept saying. What a very nice selection of plants. You must have been busy winter sowing. I sadly could not do it this past year. Medo sent me a huge variety of plants. I was very happy to get lots of them as I have been unsuccessful trying to get them started myself.
    -touch me nots-I have tried for 3 years to grow these and nothing-Score!
    -purple moonflower
    -tropical milkweed-going in my boy's garden. He loves the flying flowers so any food for them is a plus
    -spanish lavender-i heart lavenders and I do not have any spanish
    -pink striped cypress vine-this one I let out a big ole-woot! I tried ordering seeds for this one(thought it was so pretty compared to the reg ones) and every place was sold out. I am doing a happy dance. I needed a vine so bad for Scoutt's zoo garden. The cypress vine is gonna climb up her entrance pole with the arrow signs. Great one to have since it is also called hummingbird vine.
    -orange siberian wallflower-this is a new to me flower and when I looked it up it is very pretty. I have just the spot for it.
    -Lemon Bee Balm-wow does this smell great!
    -orlaya grandiflora-I had to look this one up to as it is new for me-what a very pretty flower. It reminds me of the flowers my grandma used to cut and soak in colored water when we were kids. The stem would soak up the color and change the white flower. I am gonna try that with my kids. That was one of my favorite memories of my Grandma.
    -nasturtiums-empress of india-yeah! I LOVE nasturtiums and I was so pressed for time this year with starting things from seeds that I never got to sow any. *Grin*
    -Little Lucy okra-ooohhhh have been wanting to try this for some time now
    -Kentucky wisteria-yeah! I love wisteria
    -strawberry-my son loves to pick strawberries-this one is going in his garden too
    -gaillardia-one of my favorite flowers
    -and another vine-now medo I have no idea what that one is....lol. I tried to look it up with how you spelled it and got nothing. I don't care though cause I need vines badly. Does it have a common name?
    I hope I remembered all the plants. They all arrived in perfect condition. Really you couldn't even tell they were in transit.
    I also got seeds for some daturas, african foxgloves-which i love foxgloves, and trumpet vine.
    And also I got the best ever hummingbird feeder. I LOVE the shape on this. I only have the regular type but this one is very round almost like a teardrop. Hard to describe but is very cool looking in shape. Already out and up and they are loving on it. My hummingbirds are starting to get used to me. They fly in my face if the feeders are empty and swoop back and forth chirping. They are always fighting over the feeders too. I get more to come to my yard each year and they don't like to share thats for sure. Also I got the best glass decorative garden sign. This is going to be perfect for my french doors when I get them installed soon. It will look so pretty.
    Thank you so much for being such a fabulous swap partner. You and Tall should get your boxes Monday. The conf#'s are:
    03070020000302772029 and 03070020000302772036. I hope Talla enjoys the things I made. They have been just sitting around here for sometime. It was good to pass them along. I haven't made the childrens art in a while. I have been doing more photography lately and not that much painting. I put in a few plants for her as well. Hope you girls have a good time opening your boxes like i did mine.
    Thanks again~Heather

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

your welcome!! i am so relieved that everything made it great!! hmmmm wonder what the vine was that i sent?? ok it was a canavalia vine,, it is very pretty. and supposed to be sweet smelling and i think it is the same as the sword bean, if taken young enough you can eat it, but i'm not sure on that. LOL i knew i'd know. LOL we cannot wait till ours is in!!! Hugs Medo!!!

• diene
    15 years ago

Hello All;
    Well we went for a ride out west today to try and map a route for my DH to take with his Miata friends in two weeks. We stopped in a little town with many antique stores. Very strange since there were no customers but... I found a lovely statue for my garden for cheap. It was so cheap I did not even try to bargain with the woman although I probably could have. I will take a picture tomorrow to show you all.
    Have a great night.
    diene

• scouttiegirl
    15 years ago

hahaha...yes that is better. Way different spelling than what you put...hehehe. No wonder I couldn't find anything on it. That looks very pretty. And those bean pods...holy moly. This is gonna be one super cool one to grow. Thanks again!
    Diene can't wait to see a pic of your statue. I love garden statues, especially ones form antique stores. How cool.

• allisonlwise
    15 years ago

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend!

My final plant I was waiting on FINALLY came in the mail yesterday, so Karen's box is heading out Monday morning! Yippee :)

Allison

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

awesome Diene!! i cannot wait to see the pic!!
    yes Heather, i always think of it as that, thats why i put that spelling, LOL duhhhhhh medo!!! hope everyone had a great weekend!! i had a great night last night!! i was in heaven, i was with BOTH brothers and their wives, and thier daughters!! ohhhhh my!! those neices of mine!! they are simply adorable!!! LOL many kisses to them, and holding, babies always smell soooo good!! i got to rock them to sleep, welll kinda like, it was more like standing rock. LOL and singing. its funny Anna marie could only sleep if i rocked her with my one hand between her legs and under her back, and if i slightly rubbed her from top to bottom on her forehead. man she'd be out just like that!! a new thing for her i guess. and her mama just learned about swaddling her. of course, Lucy marie loves to be swaddled but only power naps. that's it!! her poor mama!! she's soooo worn out, i held her for a while to, she likes the same thing. only i can hold her and pat her back softly and once she was out i could sit down, but every time i laughed, my belly'd dance, LOL and she'd wake up, so back up and start all over, but lib got to eat in peace!! LOL that was nice for her. HEE HEE i've learned alot to late!! LOL isn't that always the way!! will post pics later Hugs ~Medo

• christieb199
    15 years ago

Hello,

Sorry I have been MIA. I only have a minute here. I have my box ready to go and it will be sent on Monday. I have been in Ohio the past week and my S.O. wrecked his car. It is totally ruined so when I got home, we have been looking for new cars in our spare time. joy joy, just what I love to do. Ill be back later, I have to give him a ride to work, since we are sharing a car :)

• allisonlwise
    15 years ago

Karen's box is on the way. I emailed her the DC#.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Medo, if you want, I think I have some pink primrose seeds around somewhere, so I can send them your way if you'll use them. Or I can even try to mail you one of the plants that is flowering now ... I don't have anywhere to put them at the moment, so they are just sitting in a pot ... with 30 other plants, LOL!

Allison

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Linda, I've got your box put together, and I've got your goodies in it. I'm heading outdoors to gather the plants together, and then it'll be off to the post office to mail it, after making sure Bump's not in the box too! He's been "helping" me all morning with your box. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when he got into the packing tape and decided to wrap himself up in it. He'd gotten some unrolled and stuck to himself, and the more he tried to get it off, the more got on him! It took the better part of half an hour to get it all off of him, and do you think that would have stopped him from "helping"? No way. He's been inspecting everything, helped put the goodies in the box and made sure they were stable by climbing in and adjusting them all. If you find any furballs when you open up your box, those are from Bump. LOL!!!
    Okay, gotta go grab the shovel and do some digging! This is almost as much fun as opening up a box!!! The sun is shining, and I'm sharing the garden, what a cool day!!!

-Dan

p.s. SHAMELESS PLUG TIME!!! There's still time to join in on the July swap I'm hosting! So come on over and sign up if you haven't already! And, if you can't join, come on over anyway and hop in the pool! We're having ourselves a pool party, drinking spiked tea and munching on some delicious scones! And, of course, we're up to our usual mischief, re-writing history, and there's plenty of gossiping too!

Man, don't you just love this???

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

Yea! My package is on its way!! I'll let ya know when I receive it, Allison!

Have a great day!
    Karen

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Okay Linda, it's on it's way! Bump kept trying to get in the box right up to when I was taping it shut! But don't worry, no cats are in the box, at least, not this time! I e-mailed you the dc number.

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

okay Dan, your box is out too and I emailed you the number. There will probably be fur balls in yours too....Doug tried to see what I was doing and he wasn't exactly helping! I hope you enjoy everything and have a little room left for the plants I sent.."whistling and looking up at the ceiling"

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hey!! i got my box and talla got her box from scoutti today!!! WOW she put alot of work into them!! and read my page!! you can tell!! :')) HUGSSS!!!
    she sent talla,
    polka dot plant her daughter started
    columbine "music white and red"
    sea shells
    a cute little thing you hang stuff like jackets on, its heart shaped, one blue, pink, yellow
    a toadstool with a face on it,
    a square box that has like a knob on top and has like cute little peddalstool feet, she loves it
    a round one she loves
    a fairy you can stick in the ground,
    man she was sooooo excited to have her own box then to have all the goodies!!! LOL thank you so much!! that was so neat!!

then in my box she sent
    peach tart scented candle
    a hummingbird feeder and the place the stuff goes in looks like a red bottle. WAY AWESOME!!!!
    a butterfly windchime!! i'm so in love with it!!! LOL
    this cute little thing you stick in the ground that say's butterflies welcome
    brunnera jackfrost
    pineapple sage
    fan scarlet lobelia
    panorama bee balm
    golden pineapple sage
    red raspberry
    banana peppers
    white tea with tangerine
    everything looks great!!
    WOW!! thank you so much!!! i love every single thing you sent!!! all the plants look good!! now all we have to do is plant them!! LOL well, figure out where we want them!!. HUGS ~Medo
    i woulda posted earlier, but we had to go and take family pics, ugh!! hate pics!! yucky!! LOL

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

a pumpkin her son had done!! it was so sweet!! so tabor wanted that one!! it was so cute, even though it was for talla's fairy garden. tabor gets into pumkins big time!! LOL sorry i fogot about that! LOL i'm bad about that sometimes. now i need to go and post! ya know the rate and review! i do hope everyone is doing that! :')) its a nice thing to do for your swap partner! :')) Hugs ~Medo

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jared and his family bethany and anna marie
    {{gwi:1279076}}

here's lucy marie, amazingly dave and lib were busy and out of the pic. LOL
    {{gwi:1279077}} hugs ~Medo

• Tamar Haga
    15 years ago

Hi Sonja, glad you liked your box and everything arrived ok. Got my box Friday and was very pleased. I just loved the bird house. Hung it where I can see it from my kitchen window .Hopeful birds will move in, a chipmunk lives in my other birdhouse.lol also loved the feeder, got it hanging on the deck so I can watch the hummingbirds while am relaxing. Oh and thank you for the plants too, I had been looking for the purple Coleus. All are in the ground and doing great. Thanks for being a great swap partner
    Tammy

• scouttiegirl
    15 years ago

Medo glad you and Talla enjoyed the boxes. The round box for Talla is a tooth fairy box. I am happy to hear Tabor liked something sent also. I had no clue what to include for him. My son loves pumpkins too. He grows them every year. He is 6. This year he picked out those white ones. We hadn't grown them before. Thought they would be cool though to make ghost pumpkins for Halloween.
    Oh and thanks for the reminder on the rate and review. I have been away so long I forgot all about it. Back in the day they didn't have that. I left a comment on yours as well as nikki's from the fairy swap.
    ~Heather

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you! i left you a nice one. LOL i think i hardly ever leave a bad one. if i do, i always leave it if they do make good on their end i will post about it. and i have. LOL one guy did and i actually had it removed. turned out it was the mail, you could tell, and the date on the envi. whew!! it had been thru some stuff. LOL i dislike posting bad stuff. man!!!

talla went shopping with grandma and is staying the night by herself. ohhhh my!! this is something new. especially with this grandma!! she's only stayed with tabor with this grandma 2 times. so WOW!! i am surprised. LOL hmmmm seems like i spelled that word wrong but spell checker say's its ok.
    white one's for halloween sounds so cool!! :')) Hugs ~Medo hope ya'll have a great day!! :'))

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

~Smilin as I type!~ I received a fantastic box from Allison today!!

She sent me:
    Pink Yarrow - Great for the butterflies :)
    Echinacea 'Ruby Star' Thank You so much for this!!
    Hollyhock 'Rugose' Love the color, my ws hollyhocks didn't make it, so a big Thank You!
    Cosmos 'Bright Lights' another butterfly magnet!
    Boltonia - I've been wanting this!
    Pink Sedum - I love sedums!

Seeds - Daisy, Larkspur, Zinnia, Liatris, Cypress Vine, and Snapdragon Vine. I'm saving these to wintersow! (and springsow)

A beautiful butterfly, black wire/metal with beads, will have to take a pic and show ya all!

A mosiac butterfly votive, will take a pic of also, love it!

And Allison hand painted rocks and wrote the names of the plants that she sent me on them, for some really neat plant markers!

Allison, I love everything, and I Thank You so very much!! Everything arrived healthy, and in great shape!

I can't wait to plant everything, and find the perfect place for my butterfly!

Have a great day everyone!
    Karen

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

sooooooo....I'm making up my grocery list and see the mailman pull up. Hubby is standing by the window and watching the mailman having a hernia pulling out this 3 ft long box. Hubby goes to help him and brings box into the house while I'm standing there whooping with laughter...hubby is looking puzzled as he is dragging box into house. I say "Dan, said he was going to send trees!"..well...he didn't exactly send trees but he sent:

3 ft. tall sunflowers (what are you feeding those things???)
    a really cool 3 ft ferny thing (Dan, just what exactly is this??.."L")
    Becky shasta daisy (look great in the new garden)
    pepperment (I have just the place for an invansive plant)
    Meadow sage (great for butterflies)
    a butterfly candle holder w/candle(really cute)
    brass & crystal hummingbird candle holder (very pretty)
    hummingbird feeder made from Michigan wht birch (this is awesome)
    butterfly plaque (hmmm..I think this will go in my craft room)
    flowerland fairies forest friend coloring book (how did you know that I like to color?.."G")
    and a pink flamingo looking like it's from Margerittaville...ROTF!!

Dan, this was a great box and I throughly enjoyed it. Now I'll have to do some planting this afternoon!

• allisonlwise
    15 years ago

Glad you enjoyed your box, Karen! I kind of had to flatten the butterfly thingy to get it to fit in the box. You can actually bend the wings back up so they are a little less flat, LOL!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Allison

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

Okay, I'm gonna be making everyone jealous here in a minute when I tell you all what Linda sent, but first I'm going to clear up a couple things for her. Those "sunflowers" are black-eyed susans (and yeah, they'll reseed and spread!), and those "ferny things" are white yarrow. I've been growing them in my stone circle around my maple tree. One question though, didn't you find the silver maple seeds and sprouts? When I told you I was sending you a forest, I meant it. LOL! They were in a freezer bag the same size the mint came in.

Now, I checked this morning on the location of my box from Linda, and knew I'd be getting it today. While we were enjoying some fresh strawberries I took to work today, the parcel clerk brought me a box, having noticed my name on it. After getting it initialed by a supervisor so they'd know I wasn't getting into someone else's box, I sat down, opened my box from Linda, and by the time I was through, there were a few jealous people wondering what all I'd gotten. LOL!!!
    In the box I found...
    On top, a card from Linda with a howling wolf cub on the cover. I love wolves, and this was just way too cool. When I saw it, I knew I was in for a great box!
    Further down, I found...
    Cat Stickers (very cool!)
    Yellow Plastic Plant Markers and Seed Bags (always need those!)
    Two Bookmarks (always have at least 3 books going)
    Aloe Vera After Sun Lotion (will need that on August trip)
    Hand Cream with beeswax & grape seed extract (smells great!)
    Butterfly Pot Hanger
    Butterfly Plant Holder
    Plaque for my dresser
    Wooden Friendship Box (wow!) with the following seeds in it:
    trumpet vine,
    lobelia,
    candytuft,
    blue flax,
    blanket flower,
    bluevined milkweed,
    giant ironweed,
    blue mist flower,
    malva,
    ageratum,
    datura,
    lavender poppy
    Then there were the plants! I received...
    Dwarf Lavender
    Lavender Poppy
    Purple Johnny Jump-Up
    Wild Geranium (more invasive plants!!! yeah!!!)
    Holly
    A Miscellaneous Plant (My New Experiment!!!)
    Rose of Sharon
    Variegated Hosta (been wanting some of those)

All I can say Linda, is..... WOW!!!

Time for me to get planting now that our storm is over...

(GRINNING EAR TO EAR)

• christieb199
    15 years ago

Hello,

Just wanted to check in and provide my DC number for Deb's box. It was mailed out on Tuesday and the numbers are

0307 3330 0001 4284 7289

Hope you enjoy your box that I put together Deb. I had fun with this swap :)
    Sorry I was not able to be online as often as I would like. I have been working lots of overtime, which puts me out of town the majority of the week. While I do have my laptop with me, by the time I get back to the hotel room, I am pooped and I fall right to sleep.
    Now I think I will be in overtime for a little while longer since SO wrecked his car and I am going to help him purchase a new one with cash instead of taking out a loan.
    Hope you all have a great holiday weekend.

Christie

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

"laughing"..okay, now I know what the ferny things are and I figured out about the black eyed susan's after I posted. I also found the bag of silver maple seeds, yes, I can plant a forest now!

I"m glad you enjoyed your box..it was fun to do. Thought you might need the hand cream to get your hands in shape for August "wink"...

• ramazz
    15 years ago

I haven't heard from wendy/sassybutterfly since last week when she let me know she got her box. I am getting worried about her and her mom. I sent her an e-mail a couple of days ago but have not heard anything. Is anyone in contact with her?

Becky

• allisonlwise
    15 years ago

I haven't heard from Wendy. I'll try to get in touch with her.

Has anyone else not received their box or at least heard from their partner when to expect it?

Hope everyone has a great July 4!

Allison

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

REMINDER: Once your trade/swap is finished, please please please go to the rate/review forum and leave a note about your partner. As a sometime host, this is extremely helpful when we're pairing up partners! Here's the link, please use it! THANKS!!!

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/raterev/?22444

• allisonlwise
    15 years ago

Thanks for the reminder, Dan!

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i hope everyone's fingers are still entact after the 4th!! LOL and that they had a great one!!
    we had a fabulous one!! LOL i got to hold neices!! LOL and got to be with my brother and sil's so how much happier could i be??? LOL dh had to work both jobs and my other brother had to work so they were not their.
    all the flowers that mom and i planted last month look great this month, considering no one really watered them!! dh siad he'd stop by oonce and a while and check on them for us. WOO HOO!! LOL
    i really do hope that wendy and her family is fine!!

Hugs ~Medo

• ramazz
    15 years ago

I heard from wendy/sassybutterfly today. She had to go out of town but everything is going okay. I expect to get a box from her by the end of the week. I hope the plants I sent her didn't die while she was out of town.

Becky

• allisonlwise
    15 years ago

Glad you heard from her. I think you were the only person that hasn't gotten their box yet. Let us know when you get it, then we'll get this swap officially wrapped up ... so we can dedicate ALL our attention to Dan's fabulous swap :)

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

I finally put some pics into photobucket, and just wanted to share with everyone a couple of things that Allison sent.

a butterfly votive

and my beaded butterfly in the sunlight
    {{gwi:1279079}}

Sorry about the size. Allison, your plants are doing great also! Thanks again!

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WOW those are just beautiful!! the size is just right!! hugs ~Medo

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

Christie's package arrived last night! I'm really thrilled with this outstanding package! She knows I love birds and sent a huge glass hummer feeder, with food packs. I've never had a hummer feeder and am so thrilled to have one! It's always been on my wish list, and I'm always going to pick one up (you know how that goes). Christie also sent a really beautiful (big) bird bath/bird feeder. A custom fit bowl that goes in the feeder for a bird bath, take it out and it becomes the feeder. I'm using it as the feeder for now because we have really large birds that try to feed at my smaller feeders. So this will be perfect for them, they will be able to climb in and eat whatever they want. I'll need an extra job just to feed them! ;) It was comical to watch the larger wild monk parrots hang on my other feeder, they would swing it violently from side to side to try to get seed out. Picking with their huge beaks only produced a few seeds, hanging on it worked much better! Yes, I did mention Monk parrots wild outdoors! The same parrots that I paid $400 a piece for indoors! I have three pampered indoor monk parrots, and it's so funny to see all the wild outdoor monks playing in the rain. My birds talk with the monks outside, when the windows are open. When I purchased my first monk parrot, I didn't know he was the exact same bird as the ones outside! I have pics of the wild monks playing in the snow. How they survive our wild Chicago winters is a mystery to me!

Better get back to Christie's box, I have a ton of things to do today! Christie also sent hand lotion, body spray, soap in a scent that's really light~ "Rainkissed leaves."
    Orange Nectar candle that smells soooo good! Hollyhocks potpourri/simmer package, and a really beautiful Angel plaque with the saying "Friends are the flowers that bloom in life's garden." I really love Angels, being a CCD Teacher for several years, plus a Minister, this was just perfect for me! Oh, almost forgot, beeswax hand cream too! Was this a really nice box or what? "Best" box award time! :)

I almost forgot one more thing too~ Sorry, I don't write anything down and should! A really pretty Hummer spinner too, very bright and solid/heavy.

Christie,
    Thank you so much for such an awesome package! I'm going to take pics of the monks playing by the new feeder!

Hugs,
    Deb

• lindaruzicka
    15 years ago

you ladies both received wonderful boxes!.."applauding"

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WOW those are some pretty neato boxes!!! LOL the hummers sure will be pretty happy!! :')) wow to spend that much money on something you have in your own back yard!! LOL i guess now this is the end of this great swap?? boo hoo??!! LOL Hugs ~Medo

• christieb199
    15 years ago

Not over yet ;)
    Deb will be sending her package to me. She did not have my address but she has it now.
    I will post pics when I receive it.

• dan_the_mailman
    15 years ago

well, over or not, come on over to the July swap and enjoy the pool! we're gonna start grilling some burgers/steaks in awhile.

hey! someone wake up Linda! she's been hitting that Bailey's a bit hard lately and passed out! (poor thing... can't hold her liquor)

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

It rained yesterday and made digging almost impossible. All the plants were freshly dug/packed this afternoon and taken to the PO. USPS #0308 0730 0001 2992 3702.

Yay! My box went out! ;)

Deb

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok, tell me, i was visiting with my dad and susie, last night when they came for tabor, and they were telling me when they were young they used to sip from the trumpet vines, and once in a while they'd get a ant or two, well dad being who he is went over and got one, making sure there was one with alot of nectar in it, and broke it open to make sure no ants in it brought it to me, and said, here medo, sip, LOL so of course me being the great daughter that i am did! man that is great stuff!! now i know why them hummingbirds love that stuff!! LOL
    so have ya'll tried it befor or am i the only one??

Hugs ~Medo

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

Nice boxes ladies!

Medo, I've never tried that before. We never had any trumpet vines growing up, and I haven't any now either. Sounds like something my kids would like to try though! As long as it's sweet...they'll like it!

Karen

• ramazz
    15 years ago

Wendy's box arrived yesterday, full of plants and other goodies. So the two of us have completed our swap.

Becky

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ohhhh karen!! i have some!! ya want some clippings?? they root really easily!! i'd just put it over an arbour or a cattle panel or something so it can grow, i trim mine back every year or two, its very happy!! the foilage is very beautiful!! email me if ya do!! ~Medo

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Hi everyone,

Just had to pop in and make sure our hostess knew I finally sent the box to Becky (ramazz) and I sent lots o' goodies along w/ the plants too :) Becky sent me a lovely box a few weeks ago absolutely full to the brim of plants and a GORGEOUS copperwired butterfly windchime.. I collect these so this was a lovely bonus! So thanks Becky :)

Just wanted to sorta apologize too for not being too 'chatty' this RR, as some of you know my mom has cancer. Well she has been getting weaker and weaker the past few weeks so I find myself at her house daily doing whatever needs to be done or just holding her hand.. We found out on Tuesday that her liver is now 80% covered with cancer and she is literally a bright yellow color (like a jaundiced baby..) She is growing a new tumor in her belly (she just had 2 removed in March that weighed over 12lbs all together..) and the cancer is spreading to her interior stomach lining and up to her lungs.. We got her to a cancer center in Mexico this past week that does things a lil bit differently than they do here in the U.S. They focus more on herbal healing, and positive thinking. There's no guarantees of course, but since her oncologist basically wrote her off, this was her last hope. Please keep her in your prayers, her name is Janice.

All this cancer started initially as cervical cancer.. so all you gals go get your yearly screenings.. this is NOT something to play around with! :(

I'll probably be away more than here on GW for awhile, just wanted you all to know I appreciate your kind words and thoughts and I'll pop back in when I can.

Hugs,
    Wendy / sassybutterfly_2008

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ohhhh Wendy we'll pray for her and you!! hubs said she's septic sp that's why she's yellow. ohhh hon!! i sorda know what your going thru, we went thru it a year and a half ago!! my sil's mom had uterine cancer, it was very sad. it runs in her family, she just now had one child, she's hoping for one more baby and as soon as she has that one, she's getting a historectomy so she won't get it. it seems that after all the woman in her family had children they got the cancer.
    all of us understand why your not on. :')) don't forget to take care of yourself and your son :') many hugs ~Medo

• christieb199
    15 years ago

As I walking out to check on my vege gardens and see if there was anything new I could pick, Deb's box was sitting on my porch steps. :)

Deb sent me:

Sedum Requienii
    2 Cannas
    Hoya
    Glads
    Hens and chicks
    Unknown Daylily
    Autumn Sedum Joy
    Red Amaryllis &
    a baggie full of seeds.

Thanks Deb for your box!

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

Hi Christie,
    I hope the plants handled the heat ok. They looked really good when I packed them, but our temps have been awful. If any plants look stressed, soak them in a bucket for a few hours before planting. that should perk them up enough to plant. I tried to pick out things that travel well in the heat. Succulents usually do ok. And the butterflies love them when they bloom! This swap was really fun, and I enjoyed having you as a swap Pal!

Hugs,
    Deb

• allisonlwise
    15 years ago

Yippee! Great boxes, everyone. Well, I think this swap was a success!

• medontdo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

allison you did a great job!! and your a great hostess!! :')) thank you so much for volunteering ! you are very sweet! i very much love this swap! and my partner was/is very nice!! thank you for pairing us up!! ~Medo

• allisonlwise
    15 years ago

You're welcome! Thanks for playing!