Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummingbirddaisy

UPDATE: ~~June~~ Hortiholics Anon!

hummingbirddaisy
17 years ago

Finally!!! We are a go!!!

Post when you send and when you receive on this thread.

Post all of the goodies your secret pal sends to you so we all can drool over them, smiles.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone!

Tina (who needs to go weeding, argh...)

Comments (51)

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Julie ~

Anything you think your pal might enjoy.
    Plants, seeds, bulbs, teas, coffees, candies/treats, garden stakes, candles, bath items, lotions, anything they collect. Like, if your pal collects tea cups, and you have a cute one you think she may like, wrap it up and put it in the box. Basically anything you want, if you think your pal would enjoy it.
    Take a look at her questionnaire and see what all she has written down.

Hope this helps!
    Tina

• bogartbaby
    17 years ago

Tina, is there a deadline for mailing the package each month? I'm thinking of mailing mine either the first or beginning of second week each month, so it will have plenty of time to get there. Please let me know if that is o.k. Thanks!
    Deanie

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Deanie ~ I just sent you an e-mail!

I haven't required a send date as I have faith in ya'll, LoL.
    If we get folks who don't send at a reasonable time (like by the 3rd week of the month), maybe we will assign a certain shipping date at that point.

Sound OK to everyone?

Tina

• bogartbaby
    17 years ago

Thanks Tina, sounds good to me.

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

Thanks Tina,

If possible I would like to change my answer to the last question of the questionaire " Would you prefer to receive mostly garden related gifts from your pal?

I said mostly garden but I'd like to change it to "anything goes" because I think that would make it a lot easier for the person trying to figure out what to send.

Thanks!!!

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Who ever has Julie, be sure to make changes to correct her questionnaire answer from "Mostly garden related" to "anything goes"! I'm so happy to finally get this started

~~~~happy dance~~~~

:-)

Tina

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I got to thinking, whew, LoL and if you don't want to post when you send to help conceal your identity, thats just fine....DUH!!!!!!!!!
    Sometimes you just have to smile and pat me on the back and tell me everything is going to be ok, LoL.
    Had a "blonde moment" there, and I'm really not all that blonde, heh!

Tina (scratching her head)

• amybabyboy3
    17 years ago

Elizabeth, Your package is on the way!! Del # 03010120001033159115
    Hope you enjoy! Amy

• kayemell
    17 years ago

For the RR newbies out there (including li'l ol' me) I am taking the liberty of copying Tina's original overview and description, just so we're all on the same page. Thanks again, Tina!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Posted by hummingbirddaisy 5a (My Page) on Thu, Apr 27, 06 at 15:17

We just finished up on a year long swap that mgood4u hosted and did a FABULOUS job!!!! Had a wonderful time!
    I would like to carry on the swap for another year, and then maybe someone else from the group can carry it on for a 3rd year.
    The swap is pretty basic.
    You send a box to your assigned pal once a month that includes gardening items, plants, seeds, bulbs, and anything special that you wold like to add to the box, such as bath items, teas, coffees, cookies, etc.
    Please, if you don't think you can dedicate yourself to a year, don't sign up. If for some reason, you HAVE to drop out, please send me an e-mail and let me know, so I will be able to find a replacement ASAP. If something comes up and you can't send one month, please let me know, and I will contact your partner, and you can make it up in the next months box.
    We'll start this out as a "Secret Partner". How long we can stay anonymous, who knows, LoL. But, we can try :-).

-------
    Posted by hummingbirddaisy 5a (My Page) on Wed, May 3, 06 at 16:27

Just thought that I would point out that it is a very good idea to post on your exchange page, your plant wants and things you enjoy and/or collect. If you will take a peek at my exchange page, you will see, at the very bottom, I have posted info for my RR buddies. Even though we fill out questionnaires, sometimes things change, and it's nice to keep us updated so we can send things that we know you will enjoy. My swap partner in the Hort. Anon. 2005 was wonderful. Besides sending me absolutely gorgeous plants, she always managed to send something with roosters on it (as I collect roosters). She was ALWAYS right on top of things, and was just wonderful!
    Also, jot down your partners Birthday. That way, you can wish them a "Happy Birthday" on the forum, and also send a nice card with a special gift in the box.
    I am so thrilled! to have all of you here. I hope we can keep the same group all year long!
    There will be a special gift box for each of you who are still here when June 2007 rolls around, and have made good on sending faithfully, from me, as a "Thank You".

-----------------

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Excellent Idea! Thank you very much kayemell :-)
    Maybe you'll be next years hostess ;-)

I thought I would ask here before posting in the plant exchange, does anyone have any strawberry plants they would like to trade? I have a small bed of them and would like to add to it. I am looking for 12-15 plants. I have Purple Ladybells, Antioch hosta, various mints, a couple of turks cap lily seedlings and some sedum cuttings available for trade at the moment. Oh, and some noid solid purple irises.
    JLMK if you'd like to trade.

Have a great night!
    Tina

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

yoo - hoo come out, come out where ever you are :-)

Where is everyone hiding? In your gardens maybe?

Well, Amy lost her brain, LoL. I told her maybe hers and mine would meet up. That might be scary with the two of them together, Hah!

What do you have blooming in your gardens right now?
    At the moment, my hybrid tea rose "Tropicanna" is in full bloom. She looks gorgeous! "New Dawn" is full of buds, keep watching on her. I also have this rose blooming its little head off in this vibrant neon red/pink? It was sent to me in a trade last year as "Seven Sisters". Not sure it was IDed correctly. Maybe?
    I also have Orange Meadowbright Echinacea blooming. The White Swans, Double Decker, Razzmatazz, and palida are in bud, but no blooms yet. The coreopsises are blooming. There are a few others out there, daylilies, peonies, hostas. I've been trying to get pics of everything this year, but I can't keep up with the weeding in some areas, and the pics look pathetic :-( I've actually had DH out there pulling weeds with me! I think I ALMOST have him hooked, hee hee ;-)
    I've got'em hooked on AV's and hoyas bigggggggggg smiles!
    It's only taken 12 years ya know :-)

Well, I shall quit my babblings and ramblings here. Hope to hear from ya'll soon.
    Enjoy the weekend!
    Tina (hiding in the weeds)

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

My "peace" rose and Chrysler imperials are blooming. Slowly but surely. The Chrysler imperial smells amazing and is the most wonderful shade of red but the bush seems very susceptible to powdery mildew : (
    My Iceberg rose and Irish gold have buds but no blooms.

My pal's box is packed up and ready to go. Just have to get some postage on it. I had fun shopping today!

• lroyrose
    17 years ago

Amy Thank you so much for a great box! I love all of the tea, my kids run around all day with the squirrel, it is so cute! I loved the plants especiallly the bells of ireland! Every year I try to start them from seed and every year something happens and I never seem to get them to go! I love the reciepe cards and the gumballs for the kids, I love that you included them also, I felt like your box was so personal, everything that I like! Thank you so much.

Liz

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

I'm working on my box tomorrow. I'll post the delivery confirmation number when it goes out. I'm running late. My Grandmother has been really sick (for the last month- She's 87) and had emergency colon surgery and died from complications. Her funeral was today.

• bogartbaby
    17 years ago

Deb,please accept my sympathy on the loss of your loved one. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Deanie

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dear Debby ~
    I sent you a short e-mail. No need to worry about any RR boxes at this time.
    We love ya girlie
    Tina

• kayemell
    17 years ago

Debby -- So very saddened to hear that you lost your grandmother. Grandmas are treasures. I hope your memories of her live on in your heart.

Kristen

• amybabyboy3
    17 years ago

Deb,
    I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandma. I will keep you in my prayers. Take care, Amy

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Thanks so much for all the support! I really appreciate it!

Hugs,
    Deb

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

I'm so lucky!!! I have an awesome secret pal. I got my box today and I love it. I got a beautiful purple datura and another plant that I had never heard of before. I forgot the name already but it's perennial and looks a bit like coleus. I love it! I also got garden gloves, a journal/notebook, and a lovely hanging art piece with a glass sun design on it. Thank you whoever you are.

Thanks also for the reminder that this is secret. Glad I didn't get to the post office yet to mail my box because I had to open it up and remove the SIGNED note. ooops!

• efrosty1
    17 years ago

i got my secert pals box today.. sweet potatoe vines blackie and lime green.. oh i was so excited our local green house does not carry them and walmart was out. they are one of my favorites. thanks you much pal you made my day...

to my pal ---my box is going out friday..

Deb you are in my thoughts and prayers, hang in there.. erica

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

Well my box went out today. It won't be much of a surprise because when I printed out the postage on my computer, USPS wouldn't let me remove my name from my account. SO I also just left my note in there. : (

Oh well, this isn't the first time I couldn't manage to keep a secret!

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LoL, we can't stay anon. for the whole time anyway can we ;-)

As long as we all enjoy each other, thats the important thing, and I think we have an excellent bunch of glas here!
    Gifts are great to receive, but the friendship we make is worth so much more.

My box is going out Monday to my gardening pal.
    Have a wonderful weekend ladies!
    Tina

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We have a Birthday girl this month.
    Simplylisa's birthday was June 10th!
    Happy Be-lated Birthday Miss Lisa!

Hugs,Tina

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We have LOTS of Spring babies :-)

Happy Be-lated Birthday to Nitelite June 5th!
    Happy Be-lated Birthday to Sguanzon June 7th!

And, we have a birthday girl for June 29th - KayEmEll!

Happy Birthday ladies. I hope that you all had a wonderful day, and that Kristen will have a wonderful day to look forward to.

Big Hugs to you all
    Tina

PS If I have overlooked someones birthday, please let me know. I don't want to leave anyone out!

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Happy Birthday Ladies! I hope you all have a wonderful day too!

I'm working on my box this weekend, and will post the del. conf # on Monday.

• kayemell
    17 years ago

Thank you for the birthday wishes! I am planning to play hookie on my birthday and spend the day in the garden. BTW, I will be celebrating my 39th for the 10th time!

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good evening gals ~

It has been HOT and DRY here. I worked out in the gardens today and got too hot. There is so much to be done....argh.
    Now I'm wishing for some of that rain I was complaining about a month back.....never satisfied....a womans life :-).

My box is ready to go out in the morning. I can't believe that June is just about over with already. My baby turned 9 on the 2nd, and my oldest turns 14!!! on the 25th. Time for the driving permit......help me!

I've already started collecting seeds. Isn't too early for that? I'm afraid I will have nothing in bloom come mid July, as everything is so early this year. I'm not a fan of freezing temps, but I do hope that our winter is a bit more stable and cooler this year. My poor gardens barely got their winters nap.

Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend, and that all the fathers had a wonderful day today!

Tina

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

My box went out today~ USPS #0305 0830 0002 4994 8748.

• simplylisa
    17 years ago

Wooohooo. You all should be proud of me I actually figured out how to do my member page and my tade list. Woohoo I'm proud of me anyway. This robin was my inspiration since everyone said it would help my secret pal. Not sure if it looks ok but at least I have one up now. My box should be ready to go tomorrow or Wednesday. By the way thank you so much for the birthday wishes although I'm afraid I'm probably too old to be a girl anymore and I haven't been a Miss in over 20 years. LOL But it never hurts to be called younger than you are now does it. Well that's all for now just thought I would post about my little accomplishment. LOL

Hugs,
    Lisa & Kayla

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

Where is everyone?

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm a bit late in posting, but I want to let ya'll know that I received my box!!!!
    Inside was VARIGATED HYDRANGEA CUTTINGS!!!! I have been wanting this FOREVER!
    I also received A BUNCH of named AV leaves. This will be my first time trying to root them, so I hope I don't end up killing them. They are AWESOME!
    A ROOSTER tea light candle holder.. very cool!
    A note pad!
    Candle in the scent of wildflowers, absolutely love it!
    Candy lily seeds
    and a VERY AWESOME gardening tote (wayyyyyy to pretty to put dirty tools in) :-)

I LOVE everything. There was alot of thought and time put into this package. Thank you so much "secret pal" ;-)

It has been 5 days since I sent my box out. I hope it arrived OK.

Looking forward to hearing from ya'll. Where ya at???

Hi Julie!

Hugs,
    Tina

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

1. Easter Lily
    2. Daylily "Monterey Jack"
    3. Rose "Seven Sisters"
    4. Daylily "Wisest of Wizards"
    5. Front Hosta Bed
    6. Daylily "Night Beacon"

Disregard the weeds. I have spent two whole days pulling those little suckers out. Have probably 2 - 3 more days of work left. Argh!

• kayemell
    17 years ago

To my dear, wonderful, thoughtful, creative and generous Secret Pal -- your amazing box arrived today and I cannot tell you how pleased and surprised I was! You are a peach! When I opened the box and started pulling out goody after goody, I just started to cry because I was so touched. My DH saw me sitting on my porch and came running out asking, "what's wrong?" I showed him my lovely treasure trove and he just started to laugh saying, "only something that beautiful could make you boo-hoo."

Let me share my bounty: a spectacular hanging rack with dried pressed flowers between colored glass -- just lovely. Gardening gloves -- which I always need because I go throught them "like corn through a goose" -- a darling metal and glass frog garden stake; very badly-needed metal garden markers; a set of miniature handpainted terra-cotta flower pots (secret pal -- did you do these yourself?) a clever "Fragrant Spice" trivet, which releases the exhilarating scent of cloves when a hot dish is placed on it -- hand made in Colorado. A gorgeous, healthy, bright red flowering kalanchoe, and --- ** insert squeals here ** -- Bells of Ireland and Baptisia seeds -- two of the plants on my "Most Wanted" list. Most touching of all was the lovely heartfelt note from my Pal.

In these days when people are often thoughtless, cold, and uncaring, it is uplifting and miraculous to experience such pure selfless generosity from someone whom I haven't met. Thank you, Secret Pal, for making my day. May God bless you with a rainbow.

And thank you, Tina, for organizing this swap. My wish is for everyone to experience the same joy I did today.

Hugs, Kristen

• efrosty1
    17 years ago

going into surgery today/ getting wisdom teeth cut out. have been have lots if problems with them. sorry i have not got my box out yet.. but i will, i promise. erica

• bogartbaby
    17 years ago

Erica, I feel your pain you poor girl. Wishing you a speedy recovery !
    Deanie

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Erica,
    I've had the same procedure done. Mine were impacted and never had the chance to even start to cut through. I was totally knocked out, and a little sore. Make sure to have plenty of really soft things to eat. Cream soups, jello, pudding. And gargle with salt water!
    You'll feel better tomorrow! ;)

Hugs,
    Deb

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi All ~

It's almost the 4th! Anyone have big plans?
    We are going to Cedar Rapids to see my dearest friend of 22 years. Between us there will be 2 moms ;-), 7 children and 2 husbands (so I guess that would REALLY mean 9 children, LoL). We are going to go down by the river at a park and have a pic-nic and watch the fireworks over the water. I'm pretty excited as I don't get to see her very much!

OK, about boxes being MIA. I was really hoping for a hopping thread for this robin. TH reason for these robins is to get to know each other and hav FUN! Not receiving a box is NOT fun. Right????
    It costs MONEY folks! Postage is outrageous, and filling the box full of goodies. It takes time to make those boxes special. So when only one pal sends out, and then doesn't receive, it's hearbreaking (and wallet breaking). It is also kind to post when you receive your box! My pal has had her box for quite some time now, and I have seen this gal posting in the plant exchange forum, but she has not acknowledged that she has received here. :-(
    And, as far as I know, she has not sent her end of the trade out to her secret pal either. This is disappointing to me. My secret pal sent me an "AWESOME" package, and yet she has received nothing from her pal. Again, very disappointing.
    I have already sent out a few e-mails as "reminders" to the "no shows", and I plan to sent a few more tonight.
    Come on ladies, JUNE is almost over and July is just around the corner!!! I thought I clearly explained the rules when I posted for this swap??? If boxes are not received by July 1st, or if I don't get an e-mail letting me know why they have been sent out, you will be dropped from the robin.
    Erica, this does not include you. I KNOW that you will send. You have ALWAYS been a very good trader! I, too, feel your pain. I do think you will be quite surprised at how well you are going to feel, and how soon! Just make sure to have to Tylenol or Advil around to knock off the edge.
    I am very sorry to you gals that haven't received your boxes yet. We'll make things right.

Have a safe and wonderful weekend.
    Hugs, Tina

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

My pal has also had her box for a long time but I haven't heard anything. I don't know her gardenweb name so I'm not sure if she's posting elsewhere or not :(

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I need everyone to post if they have sent and received for June.

Thanks so much,
    Tina

• bogartbaby
    17 years ago

As of today I did not receive a box for June yet. I sent my box out the second week of June. It was received and my appreciative pal posted right away(thank you pal). I will be packing your July box this weekend.

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

I sent and also received (a fabulous box, the plants are getting huge!)

• kayemell
    17 years ago

As someone who has sent and also received -- (See my glowing happy tearful post above) -- I want to support Tina in her request for those of you who have not sent your boxes yet to please do so. Putting a box together each month should be **FUN** and challenging! Our RR is not totally about the gift box -- it's about making new friends online, and sharing our passion for all things garden-related. We're located all across the country --- and it's a rare opportunity to not only share your friendship, but to share the bounty of your part of the U.S.

A hint for those of you who may be unsure of how to put a box together. Don't treat it as something you have to "get out of the way." Make it fun and interesting.

1. Make a copy of your pal's list and keep it in your purse. When you're out and about on your regular errands, check the list and I'll bet that you'll spot something that your pal has been looking for!

2. If you're going on summer vacation, keep an eye out for special goodies when you're souvenir shopping.

3. You do not have to do it all at one or make a special trip. Set up a "Secret Pal Box" and whenever you pick up something in your travels, put it in the box to send later. Goodies will accumulate faster than you think!

4. And for a real gas-saving trip, take a walk into your garden. I'll make you a bet that you have at least one of her "wants" growing right at your feet!

5. Is your town famous for something, like a type of candy or local treat? I bet your pal would love to sample it!

With all the terrible things happening in the world today, our RR is a tiny little way to bring sunshine and warmth into the someone's life. Have fun with it!

• amybabyboy3
    17 years ago

I sent my box and it was well received from my pal. I have not received my box yet either.

• simplylisa
    17 years ago

Ok guys,
    I am back. Had modem problems, had to have it replaced. First off I have not sent my box yet. Hubby gets paid today and it is going in the mail first thing in the morning, it is all ready to go just had to wait for money for postage and he only gets paid every 2 weeks. I have been in 2 different round robins where I didn't receive a box at all and I would never do that to someone else. I consider all of you my friends and while I may run slow at times I will get my box to you. Now second thing, I received the most wonderful box from my secret pal. We went to the mail house (my little girls name for the post office) and Kayla was absolutely delighted to see her name on the box with mine. We get home and get the box open to find, the most delightful smelling candle ( Strawberry shortcake), next we pull out passion fruit green tea (can't wait to try this), then doggie bones, so of course Kayla has to go right then and feed one to Lacey (our dog)who was thrilled since being an outside farm dog she doesn't get treats very often. Now finally we get to go back to the box, oohh a lovely bunch of christmas cactus (fuschia), I love these and I didn't have this color. Then Kayla spots something pink??? we pull it out and it is a beautiful set of bracelets for Kayla, it has 3 bracelets (pink, purple, and blue, her favorite colors) and letters that slide on the bracelet so you can make different words, So after a break to make her name on the pink bracelet we get to go look in the neverending box again. Ooooh a canna rhizome ("President") I love cannas and I didn't have this color either. Then I find another goodie, Hosta ("Antioch") another of my favorite plants and another I didn't have. Then last but certainly not least a lovely note tucked into the bottom of the box. i hope I didn't forget anything everything was so wonderful and I can't believe my secret pal knew me so well. This one box makes up for the other RR where I didn't get anything, THANK YOU SO MUCH SECRET PAL.

Once again I promise my pals box will be in the mail in the morning and I have added a few extra goodies because of it being late. And I promise to do better next month. I love you guys and hope I didn't make anyone too mad at me.

Hugs,
    Lisa & Kayla

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Very nice tips Kristen...Thanks for sharing them!

I was really surprised and disappointed to see how many didn't receive a box yet! I'm still waiting for mine too.

I want to wish everyone a Happy 4th of July! Be safe!

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks! Kristen :-) I'm tellin' ya, she's next years hostess! ;-)

I don't mean to sound like this high strung witch. I really don't. My main concern is someone's feelings getting hurt. I want everyone to be HAPPY!!!!!!! :-)
    I want this to be a FUN FUN FUN robin where we all get to know each other really well, and can enjoy each other. IF you feel like being goofy, come here! If you feel sad, come here. If you are feeling lonely, come here. If you have exciting news!, come here!!!!! We're like the "Purple Hat Society", except, instead of purple hats, we wear straw hats, smiles.
    We all know things come up. Just post a message, or e-mail me, and let us/me know that you're still around. Things happen, I KNOW! So, just stick your head in and let us know.
    I hope I haven't come across the wrong way, and I'VE hurt someone's feelings? That is the LAST thing I want to do.

I have e-mailed reminders to the ladies who are running behind. I hope to hear from them soon!

Wishing everyone a wonderful and safe 4th!!!!
    Tina

• bogartbaby
    17 years ago

Kristen, thanks for sharing your tips and great ideas. I made a copy of my pals list right after I read your post. It was just like christmas shopping today, went to the nursery, took out the list, bought the plants my pal is looking for and it only took 10 minutes. Now I just have to figure out how to ship them in this heat. I think I will try UPS 2nd.day,with holes poked through the box. Does anyone have any better ideas? How do some of you ship without the plants getting cooked in the processs?
    Tina, your last post made me feel all warm and fuzzy,thanks for making us feel like a big happy family.I bet you are a great mommy!! ;)
    Hope everyone has a safe and relaxing 4th of July!!!
    Deanie

• lroyrose
    17 years ago

Hi Tina and everyone,

I sent my box awhile ago and haven't heard anything from my pal. My husband actually mailed it out so there wasn't a confirmation number. I hope it made it! I also recieved a great box from Amy! I've been looking forward to July's, I hope everything can be worked out.

Liz

• efrosty1
    17 years ago

hello everyone, i hope you have had a great weekend. i'm feeling better. had a rough time with pproblems with surgery, but all is well now. my box went out monday. please except my thanks for your thought words. and thank you for the get well cards.they were just a surprise.. god bless and have a safe week..erica

sorry pal for being so late.