Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lil_green_thumb

Houseplant Swap #2

lil_green_thumb
16 years ago

I love houseplant swaps!! (thought I would fancy this up a little lol)

A FEW RULES AND GUIDELINES TO KEEP IT FAIR FOR ALL SWAPPERS!!

--Signups until July 8th. Partners assigned no later than July 10th. Boxes to be sent out by July 30th so we can get started on the next month's sign-ups!

--You must send at least 4 cuttings or small plants. They must be in good condition. Cuttings DO NOT have to be rooted to send. You may send 2 African Violet leaves and this will count as ONE of your four. ( I just do not see it being fair to send your partner 4 AV Leaves and call that your send). You may send more if you like. Please try to send at least one of something from your partners wish list.

--Send with Delivery Confirmation. This is a REQUIREMENT so we can track the boxes and make sure it is not left sitting in a Postal Truck or Post Office somewhere.

--Priority Mail not a requirement but nice because of the heat. It is up to the sender. If mailed first class on a Saturday morning it will usually arrive by Monday and is a little cheaper for just a few plants or cuttings.

--Post here with Delivery Confirmation number when you send your box so your partner knows it is coming. This helps alot since it is summer and the heat is horrible almost everywhere. If you are going to be late sending the box please let me and your partner know so arrangements can be made if needed!

--Packing is to be done well to protect the plants. Be sure to rinse off the dirt. Wrap the roots in wet/damp newspaper. Then in little sandwich baggie if needed to keep the roots and newspaper damp during shipping. Wrap cuttings in damp newspaper also.

--THE PLANTS MUST BE CLEARLY MARKED WITH AT LEAST THE COMMON NAME.

-- YOU WILL RECEIVE AT LEAST 4 SMALL PLANTS OR CUTTINGS. IF FOR SOME REASON YOU GET NONE OR LESS THAN 4 PLEASE EMAIL ME AND LET ME KNOW.

--I TRY TO MATCH EVERYONE WITH SOMEONE THAT HAS AT LEAST ONE OF YOUR WANTS. BUT THIS IS NOT ALWAYS POSSIBLE. YOU ARE MORE THAN WELCOME TO POT WHAT YOU DO NOT WANT AND SHARE IN THE NEXT MONTH'S SWAP. BUT IT MUST BE POTTED AND TAKEN CARE OF NOT LEFT TO DRY OUT.

--Post here if you want to join and send me an email directly (not thru GW because I don't get those for some reason) let me know your GW NAME, REAL NAME, ADDRESS, WHAT YOU HAVE TO TRADE, WHAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO RECEIVE. NO DELIVERIES TO POST OFFICE BOXES PLEASE! Sometimes this causes problems and delays in recieving plants and the extra time in a box can result in the plants dying.

~Kimberly

Comments (57)

• darkruler
    16 years ago

bump.hope more people join

• lil_green_thumb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The name is what tickeled me. I would have to run downstairs to get the technical name. and im too lazy right now lol
    i dont have a picture I have taken
    here is one i borrowed from google.
    i have the varigated one
    which is this one
    {{gwi:1279341}}

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Oohhhh....That is PRETTY! I like that one, I will definately have to pick that one up if I see it!

But somehow...it doesn't QUIET fit the picture I had in my head.

• lil_green_thumb
    Original Author
    16 years ago
  • rockyridge
    16 years ago

Can I join in? I need a few more house plants; don't have enough holes in my head! LOL ;)

Roxanne

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Welcome, Rox!! Glad to have ya here, too!! :O)

::::::Bumpity Bump Bump!!::::::::

:O) :O) :O) :O)

• cedarnest
    16 years ago

Thanks for the ::::::Bumpity Bump Bump!!:::::::: Hazelnutbunny or I might not have seen this.Thats too cute : )) I would love to be included in this. I have quite a few houseplants that need new homes.Seems my tastes are constantly changing : )....and yes..I can always use more! LOL

Thanks for hosting this Kimberly.I will email you my info : ))
    Nancy

• lil_green_thumb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So far we have.......

Kyle
    Alana
    Melissa
    Deb
    Sharon
    Nancy
    Roxanne

::::::::::::: big bump up! :::::::::::::

• auntlissa
    16 years ago

Thanks for hosting. I'd love to join and my email is on the way :)

• bigmama4ever
    16 years ago

im in, i have that one too and i could use more.. norma

• lil_green_thumb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Norma, would you send me an email please with your info?
    Thx!

As soon as the laptop gets recharged ( im on vacation again ) i will post partners.

• lil_green_thumb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Norma, I will be your partner and send to you also for this month as soon as i get your email!

**IF there are any other things you want to share next month, or are looking for please be sure to send me an updated email with your plant haves/wants list. It helps when matching partners!**

Hazelnutbunny - in posting I am going to refer to you as BUNNY since we now have two Melissas
    AuntLissa - I will refer to you as Lissa lol

July's Swap List
    (you should all have an email from me!)

**Melissa (auntlissa) sends to Kim
    **Roxanne sends to Deb
    **Nancy sends to Alana
    **Sharon sends to Roxanne
    **Alana sends to Kyle
    **Bunny sends to Lissa
    **Deb sends to Bunny
    **Kyle sends to Sharon
    **Kim sends to Nancy, Norma
    **Norma sends to Kim

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Yay! This is the fun part!

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

Kyle,
    I have your box ready to go out in the morning. I hurried to take advantage of a brief cool down for us from the upper 90's to the low 80's in hopes they will travel better. We will be back in the 90's in a couple of days. Still, they have a long way to go! If the P.O. lives up to their own hype, you should have it Saturday.
    Your confirmation numbers are 0103 8555 7490 8743 2678.
    Alana

• cedarnest
    16 years ago

Alana,Your box will be on its way to you tomorrow.I will be back to post the confirmation number as soon as I return from the PO in the morning : )
    Nancy

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Lissa- Your box is going out in the morning. Here's your DC#- 0103 8555 7491 0930 5348

Here's hoping the plants make it! :O)

• cedarnest
    16 years ago

Alana,Your plants are on the way.The weather is forcast cooler here too so it should be great travel weather for them.Hope you enjoy : ) Usps priority #01038555749140813901
    Nancy

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

I'm taking advantage of the cooler weather too. It's only 75*, much better than the 102* temps we had for two weeks.

USPS #0307 0020 0004 7458 0217.

Enjoy Melissa! Oh, I should mention that I did try to send child friendly plants. All except one of them, it's a paper spine cactus. It needed a good home, and usually if you tell the kids the cactus bites, they leave it alone. ;)

Deb

• rockyridge
    16 years ago

Sorry I've been gone for a while. Life Happens!

Deb your package will be on it's way Monday. I'll post the tracking number then.

Rox

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Got my box from Deb today!! YAY!!! :O)

Here's what I"m finding as I open it up!

Rope Hoya (neat looking!!!)
    Ground cover with yellow blooms
    Mystery greeting plant in a can (cool!)
    Paper spine cactus (maybe I can't kill this one?) :O)
    Wandering Jew
    Spider plant -curly hybrid
    African Violets
    Neat little chocolate bunny figurine!

WOW! Deb, I LOVE THEM!!!
    !!!!!!!!!Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :O) :O) :O)

• darkruler
    16 years ago

wow you got a nice assortmnet when i got something last month from her i got so much neat stuff.thanks again deb

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

I just got a really nice assortment of plants from Nancy. I got two different philodendrons, neither of which I had, a Strawberry Begonia, a Polka Dot plant, a peperomia and my very first Hoya.
    Thanks Nancy-these are lovely plants! I really appreciate each one!
    Kyle, I checked on the USPS website and they attempted to deliver your box yesterday. I hope they are okay when you get them.
    Alana

Alana

• auntlissa
    16 years ago

Melissa,

I received the plants today. Thanks!! Unfortunately the package was open when it arrived. If there was a note as to what each of the plants are, it was lost in the mail. Please update me.

Thanks so much. I'm looking forward to getting these potted and growing!!

Lissa

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Lissa-
    I sent you an email. Let me know if you don't get it!

• auntlissa
    16 years ago

Kim,

Your package is going out tommorrow. Here's the tracking number. 9101785091401211022420

I hope they arrive in great condition and that you enjoy them!

Lissa

• darkruler
    16 years ago

well i wasn't getting mail service for a long time.and i just got a a letter by fax saying they are finally going to send the mail back to our house.so annoying

• cedarnest
    16 years ago

Alana,You are most welcome.I am happy the plants arrived safely and even happier to hear you are pleased with them.Actually I should be the one thanking you for giving them a good home.LOL Hope they all grow well for you : )
    Nancy

• rockyridge
    16 years ago

Deb,
    I finally got your box to the post office. Hope you like everything. Priority....USPS # 03062400000028160046

Roxanne

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

Roxanne,
    I'm sure I'll love everything! I'll post when the box arrives!

Deb

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

Good evening all. I hope eveyone is enjoying their new plants-I am.
    Kyle, have you picked up your package? The USPS website is still showing that you have not, but I don't know how often they update the information.
    I am concerned that you may not have much left at this point. I believe it will be returned to me soon if you do not pick it up.
    I hope everything is alright.
    Alana

• darkruler
    16 years ago

hi everyone sorry i have not posted.i recieved my package yesterday oh my gosh i dont know who send me my box (i think poisondartfrog correct me if im wrong)but there was so much stuff packed into that box i cant thank you enough for the plants thats right they were whole plants

i got the following
    i think 2 air plants
    REALLY WANTED AND GOT dwarf candivish banana i think it is a blood banana
    what i call donkey ears plant at least to foot long rooted pieces
    a two year old orchid seedling its more like a Giant monster lol
    cant thank you enough for these plants.

P.S.i haven't sent my package out yet i will send out saturday and you should get on monday i got my dates mixed up sorry

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

Roxanne's package arrived! Everything was very well packed, plus Roxanne sent some planting instructions!

Sansevieria (highly variegated)
    Aporophyllum "moonlight" segments
    2- "Snuggle's Little Dreamer" av leaves
    3- "Shirl's Red Sky" av leaves
    Seeds- I think Daylily?
    Darla Anita x Victorian lace

3 Hoya "Bella" cuttings
    3 Aporocactus Flagelliformis "Rattail Cactus" cuttings
    3 Hoya Lacunosa cuttings
    Clivia Miniata "Kaffir Lily"

Wow, I'm impressed! I really love everything you sent! I'm going to have so much fun propagating all the plant material! Thank you soooo much Roxanne!

• rockyridge
    16 years ago

Deb,

Soooo glad you like everything!

Yes, the seeds are daylilies. They are ready to be planted.

If you can't plant them immediately just keep them in the plastic bag and toss them in the veggie bin.

Here are the two parents.

Victorian Lace
    {{gwi:909208}}

Darla Anita - Sorry about the raindrops but you get the idea.
    {{gwi:909211}}

Hope you get some real beauties from them.

Enjoy

Rocky

• lbessette
    16 years ago

hi every one i would love to join in i have hundreds of house plants i would love to share

• darkruler
    16 years ago

ok i sent out the package today im so sorry for not sending out earlier hope you get your package soon.hope all is well

USPS TRAACKING NUMBER:0479 3360 5304 9224

• cedarnest
    16 years ago

Hi lbssette,Swap pals have already been assigned for the month of July but be sure to check back next week for the new thread for August signups.We would love to have you join us.These are so much fun : ))
    Nancy

• lil_green_thumb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ty nancy!
    lbssette - if you wish to join for next month. the signup is going up now.
    please send me an email with requested info!
    -Kim

Sorry i have been MIA. I thought the knee situation was fixed. it was for a bit. Now its both knees. I cant hardly walk.I swear an 80 something year old lady at dr office was getting around better than me and im only in my mid 30s. i spend most of the time sitting with them straight out supported by a pillow. and to top it off my stupid self tried to remove some brush 2 weeks ago from at edge of our woods. There went the back too. Dr did blood work today. I get results in coulple days. he thinks i have an infection in my joints or the rheumatoid arthritis is majorly flaring up.
    Ive even missed some good stuff on the Co-Op!

NANCY-------will try to get your box out by Saturday Morning. DH can do it then.

LISSA - ty for the packed box!
    My box had
    2 different wandering jew
    Purple passion
    Handpoured Ocean overlook candle (smells wonderful)
    AV Kentucky
    Polyscias (new for me!)
    China Doll!!
    Philo Brasil!

• lil_green_thumb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

MY BOX WILL BE A LITTLE LATER THAN EXPECTED GOING OUT THIS MONTH. MY UNCLE WAS KILLED ON HIS JOB SUDDENLY AND VIOLENTLY YESTERDAY MORNING. AS OF 10 AM THIS MORNING HIS BODY STILL HAS NOT BEEN RELEASED BY THE CORONER. HE AND MY MOM WERE CLOSE GROWING UP AND IT IS HARD ON HER. WILL POST BACK IN A FEW DAYS. SHOULD HAVE EVERYTHING OUT BY MIDDLE OF NEXT WEEK.
    HE LEFT BEHIND A 19 YR OLD SON AND A WIFE. ALONG WITH 4 SISTERS. PLEASE KEEP THE FAMILY IN YOUR PRAYERS.

• lil_green_thumb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LINK TO THE NEWS STORY

Here is a link that might be useful: ACCIDENT

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

I am truly sorry for your loss.

Alana

• rockyridge
    16 years ago

Kimberly

I read the news article....How awful!!! I am soooo sorry for your loss. Your family will be in my prayers.

Roxanne

• cedarnest
    16 years ago

Kimberly,My deepest sympathy.What a terrible blow to your family.Keeping you and your family in my prayers.

Nancy

• auntlissa
    16 years ago

Kimberly,

I'm glad to hear that you received the box and that some of the plants were new to you. I'm SOOO sorry to hear of your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Lissa

• rockyridge
    16 years ago

Kim,

This trade is over and I haven't received anything. I can't even find on the thread where anyone named Sharon has posted any messages. Did I miss it? Is it on it's way? Being new to the trading threads I am worried I've done something wrong.

Rocky

• lil_green_thumb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Roxanne......... its on the way........

everyone - ty for the kind words

Nancy - your box goes out in a bit. will post DC# Then

• cedarnest
    16 years ago

Thanks Kim :))

• rockyridge
    16 years ago

WoooooHoooo!!!

My box is on the waayay....My box is on the waayay

I'm doin' the happy dance!

Thanks Kim....Thanks Sharon

Rox

• lil_green_thumb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

nancy
    your DC# is 0306 1070 0001 9492 9412

signup board for august has been posted

• cedarnest
    16 years ago

Kimberly,The box arrived yesterday. All look really great.I will pot them all up tomorow. I received Flippin'Flapjack kalanchoe,Silver philo,pregnant onion baby,oyster plant,lipstick rasta&rooted panda plant leaf.Most are new to me so I am really excited about seeing them grow.Thanks so much for the wonderful swap : )
    Nancy

• rockyridge
    16 years ago

Sharon,

Thank you for the wonderful box. It came yesterday. I don't know what the post office was doing with it, but it took 5 days to get here. At least they didn't 'boogie' on it.
    Everything was pretty wilted, but I totally submerged them, foliage and all for about an hour and they are crisp and looking great again.

I received:

3 cuttings of an Orchid Cactus
    3 cuttings of a Ric Rak Epiphylum....glad to have this again. Whoohoo!
    3 cutting of small leaved Angel Wing Begonia with silver spots....gorgeous!
    2 cuttings of Wandering Jew
    2 different Arrow Leaf plants....one purplish.
    1 cutting of a variegated plant....not sure, maybe a type of Pepperomia?
    1 Cutting of Swedish Ivy
    MANY cuttings of Philodendron....one large leaved with variegation One small leaved with 'swiss cheese' holes....Cool!

I am so excited about these; they are really, really great. Can't wait to get them going.

Thank you SoooooSoooo much!

Roxanne