Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vela75

UPDATE: Part 3 of 2nd Make new friends Robin

vela75
16 years ago

I hope everyone finds this ok...I posted the last post on the last thread without realizing it was the last one.

Comments (150)

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Ok...and I just thought this was weird. Here's the question of the day from the Farmer's Almanac.

Q: Is the day lily edible?

Answer:

Almost every part of the lily is suitable for eating. It goes well with pork and soy sauce, a nod to its Chinese heritage. You can eat the green buds of day lilies. Here's a recipe: boil a few day lily buds and add them to herb butter. Make herb butter with 1/2 cup creamed butter, 1/2 tablespoon finely chopped parsley and 1/1/2 tablespoons of chopped savory. Add lemon juice and seasonings to taste. You can eat the tubers of lilies all summer, even after the blooms have gone away. Eat them like radishes or chopped into salads.

Mmmmmmm.....Yummy. Anyone want a Ditch lily smoothie??
    Though...that IS a creative solution to my day lily over population problem. :O)

• dirt_under_my_nails
    16 years ago

The thought of that makes my stomach turn!I've eaten poke greens & lambs quarter greens,but the thought of a lily smoothie, GROSS!!!! LOL!

• chrystallake_2007
    16 years ago

Dirt---It's Called Food for thought....LOL Thanks for the healing message..LOL I sure am not looking foward to my nose turning Black for the rest of the summer..Won't I look cute...Red face from new skin and black nose..That's a pic I will surely have to post...It will be called name this face...LOL

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Oh My....Maybe we'll all send you some heavy-duty concealer, Melanie. :O) LOL....wouldn't want ya to scare anyone. :O)

Ya know...I am LOVING this swap stuff!! I just went to the grocery store (of all places!) and they had their gardening stuff on clearance (and I LOVE a good clearance!!)......and I just HAD to buy a bunch of goodies to send in the next swap! I couldn't resist!! I am always buying things on clearance, whether or not I need or could use them...And I always..always...ALWAYS..every time I have house guests, I am sending them home with a goodie basket of some sort. I can't help it...I love to give stuff away!
    My family doesn't like to come over much, they always say..."Good lord, I wonder what she's gonna send us home with THIS time...." lol :O)

I sent my baby brother home with a golden toilet brush last time.
    And he doesn't even have his own house.
    (!)

• dirt_under_my_nails
    16 years ago

Everyone needs a golden toliet brush for their 'throne ' don't they? LOL!

• chrystallake_2007
    16 years ago

Hazelnut--Maybe if you have everything you will have some of that halloween grease paint, White I think, then I will stand in my front garden as a mime...

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Melanie:
    Ouch I feel terrible for you. Don't make me laugh! Mime! LOL! Holding a golden toilet brush... swishing the imaginary rim! LOL

• chrystallake_2007
    16 years ago

Tracy---I am laughing so hard I am poping blisters...Ouch....But I can also imagine it the neighbors will think I am just another Statue for my garden...LOL

Hazelnut---No offensce ment but what in the world posessed you to buy a golden toilet brush....LOL

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Melanie! Oh my gosh! Stop it! You're making my stomach hurt! LOL! Popping blisters in the garden! It's RAINING!

Melissa: Maybe you could send me a Golden Toilet Brush for all the little kings thrones here! Could use a new one with the work out mine gets! 4 boy (you can imaging why) and then all of my little flu victims!

• medontdo
    16 years ago

ok, when i had a sunburn i put vinegar on it, that helped with the burning, but if you got that hair tingling, that would be uncomfortable, but see i think vinegar is a cureall!!! LOL and when i had poison ivy, i used that junk, it wouldnt go away, but i put vinegar on a gauze and taped it to my face, since i wasn't going anywhere, and it was right by my nose, of all places, straight line down, and left it there until i changed it. well it went away fast!! and i have no scar, befor i was sure to get one!! it was really gross!! so that's that part. hubby qualified!! 20 pts over!! weeha!! now he's a bonafied cop!! handcuffs!! hmmmm LOL ;'))) LOL and as for the clothes, oh my!! i just finished ours last night, and he say's honey i have a bunch of laundry that needs to be done!!! me being nice, i said ok honey! just get home safely and qualify!! and today so far has been talla don't do that, tabor quit!! talla stop hitting tabor!! tabor!! you cannot hit your sister!! talla!! QUIT!!! STOP IT YOU TWO!!! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!! talla quit hitting tabors sunburn. do they ever stop??? my goodness !! they are only two little children!! but they have the energy of 5 or 6!! and the mouths and attitudes of 13 yr olds, especially talla. and that whatever, is driving me nuts!!! my momma woulda slapped me silly!! LOL now i'm done rantin and ravin around!! LOL i can't wait till this fall, i get a lily of the valley tree from katie!! then i will have all of the lily of the valley stuff. LOL none of my other canna's came up.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

MEDONTDO! That is great news! Fantastic! Couldn't be happier for you both!

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Your mom had the right idea. Time for some solitary confinement! LOL

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Well......it was on sale, of course!! Honestly, I think I gave 50 cents for it. And in hindsight...maybe that was TOO much. :O)

If I find another, I'll be sure to send it your way, Melanie. Along with the gold rimmed toilet seat. Would you like a cushioned seat or regular? :O)

YAY!!!!! Another cop!!! Seriously, those exam things are tough. My brother is a cop in Tulsa, and I dont' know HOW he passed. I can say this cuz he's my big brother..and I'm a brat...! But he really is a cross between Larry the cable guy and Barney Fife. He even really shot himself in the foot last year. And then he broke 5 ribs falling out of a tree (he was getting a basket ball that was stuck) and he landed on top of his car!! Geeze......If I told you everything that boy did to get hurt, we'd be here a LONG time. If you can dream it up...he's probably already done it.

BUT SERIOUSLY! Congrats, Michele! Make hubby celebrate tonight! You could bake him a black & white cake! :O)

• dirt_under_my_nails
    16 years ago

A Mime for Melanie!

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Hehehehehe.....That's cute, Dirt! Looks just like her! :O)

Hey! I know! The next swap should be an

"Ode to the commode"

swap!

:O) :O) :O) :O)

• medontdo
    16 years ago

man, i typed up a whole thing and it's gone! LOL

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

YAY!!!! Got my box, got my box!!
    (and you won't believe this....but it's smashed flatter than a pancake!!! HAs a nice little sticker on it.."sorry, you're box was smashed by the US postal service. We do our best to tick you off.". Well, that's what it SHOULD say. lol)

BUT everything looks OK!
    Here's what I'm finding (I'm going through this as I type!)

*brodiaea queen fabiola blue
    *Lilium asiatic lolly pop lily
    *crocosmia- red king
    *texas star hibiscus
    *salvia - empress lilac
    *dwarf balloon - blue
    *Lupine
    *4'oclock - custard & cream
    *salvia- marcas
    *salvia- lady in red
    *Blackberry lily
    *astilbe - light pink
    *Lemon balm (it's making the whole box smell good!)
    *chocolate mint....OH MY GOSH!
    *Everyone's favorite NAKED LADIES!!!! YAY!!!
    *tigridia lily

AND A BIG OL HONKIN THING OF BATH OIL!!!!!

YA-HOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :O)

Thanks so much, Melanie!!! I can't wait to get started planting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My first robin box.....YAY!!!!! :O)

• medontdo
    16 years ago

HAZELNUT!!! LOL see!!! you should just be nut!!! LOL ohmygosh LOL i think i'm down to an hour!! and he'll be home!! it's humid out!!! ya, wave that wand here! i want to be a size 8, i'm only 5'2 so that'll work!! and tht's mostly full of poo!!!! LOL

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Dirt: Stop it you're killing me! Seriously, splitting my sides laughing! Next swap send her a derby and white gloves!LOL!

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Ok. Sometimes real life is funnier than fiction.
    So.
    Here's a picture of the box. (this is AFTER I opened it and took everything out...so it's actually puffed up quite a bit.)

And the names have been scribbled on to protect the innocent. :O)

And this is the close up of the sticker they put on it.
    Can everyone read it?? Probably not, cuz it's blurry.
    {{gwi:1279430}}

But it says...."Received unsealed at your local post office"

Um......ARE THEY KIDDING???? IF that was just "opened"...then a tornado is just a "little" wind.

:O)

But everything is OK..I got everything in the ground, and nothing was broken or smashed....until my 3 year old girl got ahold of it. She took the leaves off of one of the Salvias. Oh well. They'll grow back, I"m sure. :O)

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

I've received so many boxes that looked like that! One swap box I received was soaked with brown stinky juice (plants that died from too much moisture and rotted in transit in 97* weather). The mail person gave me the meanest look while handing me that box! I've even received boxes with sunken in footprints on them! I can only imagine what those packages go through! It's amazing that they hold up as well as they do!

Everyone received such nice boxes so far!

Deb

• vela75
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You guys are killing me today!! So funny!

Tracy, I see your package was delivered today! I hope everything made it ok and you enjoy everything!! :-)

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Got my box! got my box! got my box! Got my Box!

Yaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy! Yipppppppy! YAHOOOOOOOOO!

Vela Thank you so much! I love everything! What an awesome assortment!
    Here is the list!
    3 types of Hosta
    Achillea
    Siberian Iris
    Stella D'Oro
    Ditch Lily LOL!
    Fern- Totally love love love the foliage on this!
    Coreopsis
    Dames Rocket! Tooooo Cooool!
    Heuchera- I don't have this kind! Weeee! Green tops & purple bottoms on leaves!
    Yellow Daffodil Bulbs
    Gladiola Bulbs- Blue Passion Blend
    And the piece de resistance- Plant in a can! LOL! Called Secret Fortunes! Grows a bean plant that has a message on the bean! Too Funny! My 5 year old keeps asking to open it and water and get it growing right away! I am already planting!

Would have posted sooner but it came at 4pm and that is little girls naptime and can't get in to the computer room then! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

I think my Burgundy Hibiscus Grand Mallow had babies! I have a few little sprouts hanging out below the one I divided this year! How exciting is that? Last year I didn't cut off spent blooms and was hoping this would happen! Yay! Great gardening day!

• vela75
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So glad you liked your box Tracy!!! How did it look? Was it pretty wilted or did it look ok? Just curious to know if I am mailing ok. Yeah, I thought the plant in a can thing was kind of neat. LOL! Let me know how that message thing works. Take a picture if you can LOL!

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

{{gwi:1279431}}

Everything travelled very well. Wilting was at a minimum! The fern are looking mildly sad but not bad at all! You did a great job packaging everything! Couldn't have done better! I'm getting more dirt tomorrow so maybe I can begin planting the shade stuff later in the day. Can't wait! Don't worry abouth the small root on the heuchera. I had the exact same problem when I divided mine. I transplanted the ones that looked the worst out of them and sent the best on to Carol. Mine are starting to perk up now. Found the new buds in the center along with new leaf standing up nicely. I expect yours will do the same.

I hope you like your bouquet! I went through my garden collecting every yellow and orange flower I have in honor of you! Since I can't send them to you I am posting them to you! LOL!
    Enjoy your poison plants! LOL! By the way, I am too excited about the ladies rocket! When can I plant the Glads? Can't remember its been ages since I had them!

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh! I can't believe that plants aren't littered all across the USA with the condition of that box! Naked Ladies everywhere! Did they at least attempt to tape it closed again????? Holy Moly! You should email those pics to the post master general! See what he thinks of the USPS's handling abilities! Totally amazing that you got your plants at all! Wow!

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

I probably SHOULD complain..at least a little! :O) I'll run out to the mail box tomorrow and chase after the mailman....hollering...."HEY! you almost dropped my naked ladies everywhere!!!"

I'm sure he'd have me committed. :O)

• Vic Billings, MT
    16 years ago

Wow, can't keep up with you girls!! Am I the only one that has yard work to do? Everytime I come in for a break it's takes so long to catch up, I don't have time to write anything LOL

Melanie, you poor thing! I would much rather have my bad week than your bad sunburn! At least my week is over now!

Medontdo, Hooray!!!!! But, the only bad thing about the handcuffs is that they are not fur lined!

Hazelnut, OH MY! first it's naked ladies, then pictures of your box! LOL! Where is this swap taking us too!

I wonder how many "parts" there will be on this forum before the swap is over! It has to be the longest one going! This is my first swap, I am loving it! I'm in another one also (along with some of you) but they are not near as chatty over there!

Well, I am going to bed. My vacation officialy ends in 20 min. and after looking back on this week events I think it's a good thing! LOL I can go to work and at least get paid to have a bad day!
    Goodnight all! Vic

• Vic Billings, MT
    16 years ago

Who ever decides to do the next robin, I want in!!!

• vela75
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, I'm putting my foot down. Need a new hostess

Medont? bunny? Laurie? Vic? mel? I'm not picky!

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

LOL! Oh my gosh Hazel and Vic! Too funny! Naked ladies and hazels box! Eeeeeeek!

• ctack2
    16 years ago

Good thing we aren't doing veggies - someone might have sent peter pepper seeds and then we'd all be in real trouble. Thing is, I think I want to get some of these seeds for next year - I AM SOOOO BAD!

Take a look - and Victory seeds sells them too, so I don't think it's just a bunch of bologna!
    http://personal.ecu.edu/wuenschk/PeterPeppers.htm

ANYWAY - I GOT MY BOX TODAY (do I dare say the B word?)
    woooooooooooohoooooooooooo
    I tell you what, Tracy didn't send me any 'seedlings' - she sent full grown plants! lol. One is AT LEAST 3 foot tall.....talk about instant gratification. YIPEEEEEEE...my fav kind!

I got:
    Purple Cone Flower
    Bright Pink low-growing Perennial Geranium
    Gay Feather (geesh - will we never stop in this thread?)that is about 2' tall
    Purple Coral Bell with white flower
    Coral Bells with coral flower
    and a Siberian Iris that has Purple and Blue flower called Caesar's Brother.
    She wrote a note that said the Caesar's is 36" tall - and I bet if I measured it, it is that tall NOW and I'm not stretching the truth!

And I also got the cutest little copper snail with a HUGE faceted blue sapphire (I can call it that - it's mine now!) as the body. She said it's the only snail safe in the garden - but this little cutie is staying in the house with me!

Tracy - thank you so much. These will be planted in my garden by tomorrow evening. I can't wait to see them bloom and grow. They arrived looking like you had just dug them that morning. Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou!!!!

Carol B

• chrystallake_2007
    16 years ago

What the He---------------happened to my box....It was even marked fragile and perishable.At least everything got there in the altogether..
    Hazelnut---Hope you were happy with everything, and it grows well for you..
    I wanted so bad to tell you aboutthe Naked Lady bulbs I sent,when everyone was talking about them but had to keep my tounge.
    I cannot even laugh anymore I hurt so much, if it was just the sunburn I could deal with that, but i's all the blisters and there is nothing to help them..
    I am so glad everyone has liked there gifts this was a great swap Vela. You should be proud. We have all had alot of great fun and many laughs. Hope we can all do this again soon.
    Melanie

• dirt_under_my_nails
    16 years ago

Hope everyone has a great day!!! Headed to local farmer's market to see if anyone has green tomatoes yet.Plus try to find more plants.Anyone know anything about a brown eyed susie vine? Lady had some big ones for 12 bucks. Taking more cash with me this time I ran out last Saturday.Susie will be coming home with me!!

• Vic Billings, MT
    16 years ago

OK, maybe I got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, but I was looking at the plant exchange and seen a post for orange trumpet vine, there was a reply post that said "orange trumpet vine is highly invasive" that's it. Is it just me, or was there no point in that? There are a lot of posts for highly invasive plants on there.
    Hmmmm. maybe I am just grumpy today, LOL
    Ok, gotta go, I'm off to the market too, and want to get there before Dirt gets all the goodies!
    Have a good day everyone! Vic

• vela75
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ctack...are you going to wear your coral bells while you plant that gay feather? LMAO!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

LOL Melanie....I'll bet you were not a happy camper to see what happened to your box.

I'm glad everyone is enjoying their exchanges.

Tracy...did I happen to send you ANYTHING you didn't already have? LOL! Noticed you already had Ceasars Brother too. LOL!! By the way, thank you for the flowers you picked for me. They are soooooo pretty!!!!

• vela75
    Original Author
    16 years ago

By my count, I think we have 7 boxes received and 7 to go.
    People who have received boxes
    dirt
    tracy
    ctack
    melanie
    vela
    bunny
    vic
    People who need a box
    medontdo
    diene
    laurie
    poison
    debbya
    shady
    seraki

Let me know if you're on the wrong list.

Tracy - I'm not very knowledgable on glads, I don't know if you can go ahead and plant them now, and they will bloom for you late summer, or if you would be best to hold on to them until next spring. I know in our zone that they need dug up in the fall.

• vela75
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"Plant glad bulbs every two weeks from spring through summer for a continuous supply of blooms through early fall."

So I guess it would be ok to plant them now, they will just bloom later!

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Good morning Girls! :O)
    Well, as good as it can be in the stormy weather and with a baby screaming on my lap. Any misspelled words, please blame Her Royal Grumpiness. :O)

Oh..sorry..I don't mean Vic. :O)

Hmmm...I would volunteer to host the next swap...but I'm not sure it'd be safe....Who KNOWS what sort of theme I'd come up with. :O) I don't think anyone is willing to take that chance.

If it makes ya feel at least a LITTLE better, Melanie...the mailman DID put your box in a plastic trash bag...... Maybe he thought that would save ME the trouble?? lol :O)
    But all the plants are doing well, and really seem to be enjoying the rain. And I've eaten at least half the leaves off my chocolate mint already.

:O) :O) :O) :O)

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Wait....wait...WAIT A MINUTE!!! I know a great theme for the next swap. And it's even CLEAN!! :O)

So.....if everyone is willing to let a newbie host the next one, I'll volunteer.

But I'll need some coaching. :O)

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Carol! I'm so glad you got your plants safely! Vela's right you SHOULD put some bells in your hair while you plant the Gay feather! LOL! What a pretty picture!

Vela: Doubles are fine by me! You can never have too much of a good thing! I am over the moon about so many things you sent! I don't have most of the varieties you sent me! This was great trade for me. You have no idea! I'm glad you like your bouquet! All my sunny colors for the sunniest of people!

I made the hubby pick up 3 more yards of dirt this morning! Will be digging and planting and visiting the local nursery! Yippee!

Melanie: I will say a prayer for you that you start to feel normal soon. I remember being so sick from massive sunburn as a kid. It is terrible. My nose looked like a prune it was burned so bad. The skin keeps tightening up and wrinkling. I had to wear nosecoat in the hot weather for years after that. Picture what a hot young babe I was on the beach! Thick slimey nosecoat! Ewwww. Keep yourself lubed up, it does help in the healing.

• medontdo
    16 years ago

oh mel, i wish i could take the pain for you!! my pain tolerance is way high!!!! and sunburn, for the tightning, you could use the mixture of cocoa butter and olive oil, it heals and softens and it will softly peels away the dead skin, i use that all the time, especially with gardening, my hands used to be yucky, stick to that wierd washcloth, microfiber stuff. now its better. but if you do, make sure its the hard cocoa butter by palmers. i mix it with the food processor. LOL vinegar for the blister, thats what i do, heals and no scars. but you have poisoning so i don't know. for sure prayers!!! oh ya!! yay bunny!! i'm so glad you voluntered! you'd be a good host too, diene is good, vela is good, you'll be good! can't wait till monday, i can send debs! i hope you don't have what i send and you like it. LOL

• chrystallake_2007
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone.
    They must have done the happy dance on my box or they are all getting tired of seeing my name on packages all over the united states..
    Hazelnut---If you hoast I'm in. This was massive fun. Sure wish I could really get to meet everyone in person, could you imagine all of us together in a big garden party..We would be stealing everything..LOL
    Hazelnut--You were suppose to plant the chocolate plant not eat it yet..What happened to your choco. garden...
    Dirt what site to you get all the really kool pics?? The ones I have are lame..
    Enjoy the day..Hubby went fishing without me..
    Melanie

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

Hurray! I got my package from Diene today! Diene, you did a fantastic job of selecting plants I don't have.
    Lavender made the whole box smell delicious.
    2 different sedums that I do not have will go in my sedum bed.
    Yarrow-perfect for cutting.
    Astilbe for the shade garden.
    Golden Bleeding Heart- I love it!
    I also received a lovely natural sand dollar and snail shell, a wind chime and a terrapin as well as seeds for crocosmia, bachelors buttons and stocks. The terrapin is going in the vegetable garden where the living prototype is eating my tomatoes. Maybe they will think the area is too crowded and move on?

Vela, I am glad you liked your box. You have been a great hostess!
    I won't be participating in the next round. I am busy with the wedding, and there is not much in the garden right now that I would feel comfortable digging up; too hot and too mature. With the water restrictions we have been placed under, it is really hard to keep everything going.
    I will be peeking in now and then to see what everyone receives and how things are going. Late July, early August is a great time to divide iris and daylilies. Hopefully one of you will host a swap then. I have lots of those I need to divide and obligating yourself to a swap is a great motivator.
    Some photos from this morning:
    Fuchsia Koralle

Shasta Daisy Sunny Side Up
    a href="http://photobucket.com"; target="_blank">

Pentas, Grafitti Pink

Morning Glory, Flying Saucers

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Ok..well, I DID plant the chocolate mint...I just had to pot it, because I don't have the bed ready quite yet...so it's in my kitchen...and it smells too good to pass up every time I walk by....And in my defense...I DID leave the very top leaves on it. :O)

• Vic Billings, MT
    16 years ago

Ok, I just went to the farmers market, and unfortunately, Dirt did not get there first and buy all the good stuff! Wow, I only took so much money so I would not spend too much. Well, lo and behold! They take credit cards!! Oh, it was quite a trip! I'll post pics of my new plants in a while!

Love your flowers Poison!

Hazelnut! My vote is for you for the next robin!!! We are having way too much fun to stop after this one!
    I'm in a better mood now that I got new plants!

Vic

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Okay....I've found my perfect graphic.

• dirt_under_my_nails
    16 years ago

Melanie : I found them @glitter-graphics.com & smiley central when I setting up my myspace page a few months ago.
    Hazelnut: love the bunny. Count me in on next robin too.Will be out of state July 17-Aug 2 if that matters. Me & the 3 kiddos visitng my parents & my sister & her family in Eugene ,OREGON A.K.A Hippiegene for 2 weeks. I've not seen them in 2 years.So this visit is LOOOONG overdo.Fisrt time I 'll get to hold my niece who just turned a year old.
    Vic:I don't even want to find out if they take credit at my market.Hubby complaining about not having grass as it is!My trip to market today was a semi bust.No green maters!!! Plus I got there later than usual & the lady only had one susie vine left.Wasn't as big as last weeks but it was cheaper! I did find some nice cucumbers for todays tossed salad though.

• diene
    16 years ago

Hello Poison;
    This will be the last post of this swap as we have hit the limit but I will let someone else start the new one. The seeds I sent were flocks not stocks which are an easy perennial that grow in shade as well as sun. They are really pretty tall flowers.
    I did not know the statue was something other than a turtle, I did not know what you were talking about at first. Talk about dumb.
    I hope you are happy with everything, I will get those last two things to you when they surface. Take care all. diene