Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

NEW: Color of the Month Swap for July = Red

highalttransplant
13 years ago

{{gwi:414753}}

The color of the month swap for July is RED. We will need at least 5 people to sign up for this swap to go forward. POST HERE if you would like to participate. After signing up here on this thread, please send me an e-mail with your full name & address and your GardenWeb name. I will send out my address after there are at least 5 responders.

DEADLINE FOR SIGNING UP: July 14

DEADLINE FOR SENDING SEEDS: July 21

You may include seeds that produce RED flowers, foliage, fruits, or vegetables, or just have the word "RED" in their names!

You may send flower seeds, vegetable/herb seeds, or a mix.

(Please specify what you would like back: edible, non-edibles, or a mix of both)

I will do my best to fill your request, but it all depends on what is sent in!

Absolutely NO Invasive Plants or Noxious Weeds!!!!

Please send seeds no older than 2 years old.

Please include on the packet label: the seed's name (be as specific as possible - for example, not just Gaillardia, but which one - Goblin, Burgundy, etc.), whether your seeds are from a commercial source or hand-collected, and the year stamped on the package if it's commercial seed, or the year harvested if it was hand collected.

The limit for all of the color swaps is 10 packs, but please feel free to send in extras. These will be counted as bonus packs and I will try to send bonuses back to those who send them in. You can send in as little as 1 pack of seeds, there is no minimum to send in.

Please send in the number of seeds that you would be comfortable receiving yourself depending on the variety. There should be a minimum of 10 seeds per pack.

Please send only 1 pack per variety. Again, you may send more than one pack of a certain variety, but please know that they will be counted as 'extras'. So each variety will be counted as one trade.

I am very excited about this swap, as I was looking around my garden just today and thinking that I've got lots of orange and yellow flowers, but need more red. There are tons of edible possibilities too, such as tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, beets, chard, rhubarb, onions, and even red carrots. I'm sure I'm leaving a few things out. Maybe you guys can help me think of some more ideas.

Your hostess,

Bonnie

Comments (55)

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Welcome, Don and Barefootgardner! It looks like we are off to a good start.

Be sure to send me an email, if you haven't already, so that I can be sure you have my mailing address.

Here's our list of participants so far:

cybermeows/Penny
    Jaynine
    dem_pa/Don
    Barefootgardner12
    Highalttransplant/Bonnie

My Petunia 'Fire Chief', which is supposed to be red, started blooming yesterday, and it is definitely more dark pink than red. Seems to me like a lot of things listed as red turn out to be more on the pink side. Since I have a lot of orange and yellow in my flower beds, I am always looking for things that are a true red, like the primary colors we learned in elementary school. It's a pet peeve of mine, I guess, and I haven't had problems with other colors being listed incorrectly, but to my eye dark pink is still pink, and not red! Okay, I just had to get that off my chest ... I feel better now, LOL.

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmmmm ... hopefully I didn't run anyone off with my thoughts on the color red. To prove my point, I thought I would post some examples.

This first picture is Petunia 'Fire Chief'

... and this is Scarlet Flax

... and this was Hibiscus syriacus 'Freedom'

All of these are advertised as having red flowers. Anyone else think they look pink?

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We have our 5th participant, from north of the border, so this swap is a go!

I just realized in the original post with the swap instructions, that I left out a reminder to include a return address label, and enough postage for the return trip. After you do a lot of swaps, you sometimes assume everyone knows, but if there is anyone new, they might not be aware of how it's done.

Thought of a couple more red veggies - okra, kale, cabbage, watermelon, and even corn.

Here is the current list of participants:

cybermeows/Penny
    Jaynine
    dem_pa/Don
    Barefootgardner12
    Shanta_5 (Canada)
    Highalttransplant/Bonnie

Looking forward to seeing what everyone sends in!

Bonnie

• booberry85
    13 years ago

I've been lurking but I'm in!

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Becky! Glad to have you join us!!!

I ordered an early birthday present for myself, which arrived yesterday. It's a scuffle hoe (also called stirrup hoe), and I am thrilled with my purchase. My little 60 sq.ft. veggie garden at home is no big deal to keep weeded, but the plot at the community garden is approx. 400 sq.ft., and the weeds are absolutely out of control there. I've been pulling them by hand, but just couldn't keep up. Today, I weeded the entire plot in less than 45 minutes. Woohoo!!! I've included a link below, just in case anyone was interested.

Here is today's list of participants:

cybermeows/Penny
    Jaynine/Janine
    dem_pa/Don
    Barefootgardner12/Jessica
    Shanta_5 (Canada)
    Booberry85/Becky
    Highalttransplant/Bonnie

There's still plenty of time for folks to sign up.

Here is a picture of my mystery red daylily. Even though I don't know it's name, I think it's beautiful:

I received a Crocosmia 'Lucifer' from a plant swap, and the second year, this grew right out of the middle of it. This year, only the daylily returned. Guess I'll be wintersowing some more Crocosmia this coming winter.

In case I don't have time to get on the computer tomorrow, HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!!!!!!

Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Scuffle or Stirrup Hoe

• Angela
    13 years ago

I would like to join-- thanks :)

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Glad to have you with us, Silver cat!

Hope everyone had a great holiday! We went to a nearby lake yesterday, but today we've been hanging around the house, so I got lots of weeding, deadheading, and watering done today.

Here is today's list of participants:

cybermeows/Penny
    Jaynine/Janine
    dem_pa/Don
    Shanta_5 (Canada)
    Booberry85/Becky
    Silver cat/Angela
    Highalttransplant/Bonnie

There's still plenty of time for folks to sign up.

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just bumping this back up!

In case there's anyone lurking, you have until the 14th to sign up, which is this coming Wednesday.

Here is the list of participants:

cybermeows/Penny
    Jaynine/Janine
    dem_pa/Don
    Shanta_5 (Canada)
    Booberry85/Becky
    Silver cat/Angela
    Highalttransplant/Bonnie

I haven't received any envelopes yet, but you have until the 21st to get them in the mail. Has anyone sent theirs off yet?

Bonnie

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    13 years ago

Count me in!

• Angela
    13 years ago

Mine went out yesterday or the day before.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Welcome to the swap, Hibiscusfan! Be sure to email me, so that I can send you my mailing address.

Thanks for the heads up, Angela! I will keep my eye out for your envelope.

So here is the list of participants:

cybermeows/Penny
    Jaynine/Janine
    dem_pa/Don
    Shanta_5 (Canada)
    Booberry85/Becky
    Silver cat/Angela
    Hibiscusfan/
    Highalttransplant/Bonnie

The more people we have, the better selection everyone will receive back, so if you know anyone that might be interested, be sure to invite them to join us!

Bonnie

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Love your pics Bonnie! I just got my seeds packed up, but they'll have to wait to go in the mail until next week. We got some much needed rain yesterday after having a week of high temps and no rain. However, that also meant I was weeding for 3 hours!!!

Happy gardening everyone!

• dem_pa
    13 years ago

Mine will be mailed tomorrow.

Don

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh goody, it looks like there are some packages on their way!

Only two more days to sign up, so if your lurking, it's time to come out of hiding : )

Here's a few more pics to entice folks:

Rudbeckia 'Cherry Brandy' (first bloom of the season)
    {{gwi:419056}}

Snapdragon 'Scarlet Giant'
    {{gwi:422573}}

Dwarf Red Coreopsis
    {{gwi:422571}}

Okra 'Red Burgundy' with flower bud

This is my first year to successfully grow okra. When I've planted it in the ground, it died, but it seems to like growing in a pot. Anyone else tried this?

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Received the first envelope today! A nice mix of flowers and edibles from Silver cat.

So here is the list. I'm putting a * in front of your name when I receive your packet:

cybermeows/Penny
    Jaynine/Janine
    dem_pa/Don
    Shanta_5 (Canada)
    Booberry85/Becky
    * Silver cat/Angela
    Hibiscusfan/
    Highalttransplant/Bonnie

Remember sign ups are over on Wednesday, July 14th!

Bonnie

• canyonwind
    13 years ago

Bonnie...I am in! I will email you via GW in a few minutes with my info. Let me know here if you do not receive.

Thanks for hosting!

Annie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh my goodness, it's good to hear from you, Annie! I've missed you!!! So glad to have you join us!

There's still one more day to sign up, but here is the list, as of today:

Cybermeows/Penny
    Jaynine/Janine
    Dem_pa/Don
    Shanta_5 (Canada)
    Booberry85/Becky
    * Silver cat/Angela
    Hibiscusfan/Suzanne
    Canyonwind/Annie
    Highalttransplant/Bonnie

It is supposed to be in the mid to upper 90's here for the next week, and of course this is the week the town shuts off the irrigation ditches for demossing. Guess I'll be breaking out the water hose.

Well, I'm off to do some more weeding, watering, and squish a few more grasshoppers.

Bonnie

• babcia
    13 years ago

Please add me to your list. I've been lurking here for a few days and I can't resist the color "red".

I have a red bed and almost everything in it is something I've raised from seed from these swaps, so I guess I'm hooked.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great to have you with us, Babcia! I know what you mean about being hooked. A lot of the flowers in the pictures above came from my GW buddies.

I placed an order yesterday for a few reds, so hopefully they will get here soon.

I'll post the final list of participants in the morning, once the sign ups are over.

Bonnie

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Couldn't wait, Bonnie! Seeds are on their way to you.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good morning, everyone!

Here is our final list of participants:

Cybermeows/Penny
    Jaynine/Janine
    Dem_pa/Don
    Shanta_5 (Canada)
    Booberry85/Becky
    * Silver cat/Angela
    Hibiscusfan/Suzanne
    Canyonwind/Annie
    Babcia/Cathy
    Highalttransplant/Bonnie

So far I've only recieved on package, so just reminding everyone to gather up their red seeds, and send them on their way : )

Since I've posted mainly flowers, thought I would give you guys some edible inspiration.

(ignore that one white radish, LOL)
    {{gwi:22393}}

New Red Fire lettuce
    {{gwi:422657}}

Bowl of various tomatoes and peppers
    {{gwi:446558}}

It's supposed to be between 95º - 100º here the next few days. If you're dealing with the heat where you live, hope you drink lots of water, and take lots of breaks in the shade!

Bonnie

• canyonwind
    13 years ago

Bonnie...red seeds have been sent your way!!! I would have loved to put a few delicious chocolate bars in your envie!!! The HOT weather certainly ruins that kind of yummy fun...LOL! Our temp is hanging at 101 right now....love it!

Stay cool and comfortable wherever you might be!

Annie

• booberry85
    13 years ago

I have tomato envy! No ripe ones here yet. It's even toasty here for us. Temps have been in the high 80's low 90's and no rain. I guess we got all our rain last month (7 inches!) Keep the water at hand and don't try and do too much out there.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ummm, Becky, that pic was taken in late August last year. I do have a couple of peppers in containers that are almost ripe, but my tomatoes are just now starting to flower, so don't envy me yet, LOL!

No envelopes in the mail today, but hopefully tomorrow.

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Recieved two packages today! There is a nice selection coming in. Be sure to let me know if you want flowers, edibles, or a mix.

Here's the list with a * to indicate who's packages I've received:

Cybermeows/Penny
    Jaynine/Janine
    * Dem_pa/Don
    Shanta_5 (Canada)
    Booberry85/Becky
    * Silver cat/Angela
    * Hibiscusfan/Suzanne
    Canyonwind/Annie
    Babcia/Cathy
    Highalttransplant/Bonnie

I have a busy weekend ahead, but I'll try and post if anymore packages come in tomorrow.

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi guys! Received Shanta's package from Canada today. There were poppy seeds loose in the envelope, but I couldn't figure out which packet was leaking.

So here's the updated list:

Cybermeows/Penny
    Jaynine/Janine
    * Dem_pa/Don
    * Shanta_5 (Canada)
    Booberry85/Becky
    * Silver cat/Angela
    * Hibiscusfan/Suzanne
    Canyonwind/Annie
    Babcia/Cathy
    * Highalttransplant/Bonnie

I'm off to a local festival to play my guitar, and do a little singing. More of the same tomorrow, but I'll be back on Monday.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, my mailbox was full today! I received three envelopes for this swap, plus my seed order, plus two books from my MIL for my birthday, 'The Best of Thymes', and 'Mes Confitures'. Yeah, I'm so excited!

So here's the updated list:

Cybermeows/Penny
    Jaynine/Janine
    * Dem_pa/Don
    * Shanta_5 (Canada)
    * Booberry85/Becky
    * Silver cat/Angela
    * Hibiscusfan/Suzanne
    * Canyonwind/Annie
    * Babcia/Cathy
    * Highalttransplant/Bonnie

Once those last three envelopes arrive, I'll start sorting seeds, and get them on their way back to everyone.

Bonnie

• Angela
    13 years ago

happy birthday... :) hope you had fun at the festival. Is your music online anywhere?

• jaynine
    13 years ago

Sorry I haven't mailed my seeds yet--been very busy! Will try to get them out tomorrow.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Angela! No, I don't have any music online. I mostly play with my church's Praise Team, but my husband and I have started playing at a few events on our own in the last several months. At my age (which I won't mention online, but let's just say I'm old enough to have more than a few gray hairs coming in, LOL) I'm not expecting to make a career out of it or anything. It's just something I've wanted to do since I was a teenager. Guess I'm just a really, really late bloomer, LOL!

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Happy birthday Bonnie! I've read nothing but good things about Mes Confitures. I'm sure you'll love it.

• jaynine
    13 years ago

My seeds are in the mail--sorry for the delay!

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the birthday wishes, Becky!

No envelopes in the mail today, but I'll be looking for yours Jaynine. Think I'll send Penny and Jessica a reminder email, since tomorrow is the deadline for mailing the seeds.

Bonnie

• cybermeowz
    13 years ago

Bonnie,

My seeds were mailed this morning! Hopefully, you will have them soon.

Penny

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jessica's envelope arrived today, so just waiting on Jaynine's and Penny's to arrive.

Here are a couple of reds that just started blooming in my garden:

The Crocosmia 'Lucifer' that I thought didn't return ... did.

Here is Hemerocallis 'Merle Kent'. It took three years to bloom, but it was worth the wait!

... and last, but not least, Gaillardia 'Red Plume'

Hope you enjoyed my reds!

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jaynines package arrived today. Just one more to go!

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just a quick update. I now have everyone's package, and will start sorting seeds later today. Things have gotten really hectic this week, so it will take me a few days. I appreciate your patience.

Thanks,
    Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I started sorting today, and got so carried away that I almost forgot to start dinner, LOL!

So here's where things stand. Everything has been sorted ... whew! Some of the seeds that I'm contributing are in bulk, so I still need to divide those up. Won't get to that today, but hopefully tomorrow. Hoping to have the envelopes in the mail on Friday.

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ALL of the envelopes have been mailed!!!

Please post here when you receive yours, so that I know it arrived okay.

Thanks,
    Bonnie

• Angela
    13 years ago

First! LOL

The package just came in! amongst our surprises are... Black Ball Centaurea, Canna, and that red dwarf coreopsis I've been eyeing since it was posted... Very nice! Thank you everyone.

And Thank you, Bonnie, for organizing it!

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Hi Bonnie,

I received my seeds today. Thanks so much! I'm thrilled with the selection.

Becky

• babcia
    13 years ago

Received my seeds today, too. Thanks. You did a great job matching my wants with what you received.

• jaynine
    13 years ago

Mine came today, too & I'm so very happy with them! Bonnie~thank you for doing such a wonderful job and thanks to everybody for the great selection.
    Does anyone know if there's going to be an August swap??

• canyonwind
    13 years ago

An outstanding assortment of seeds arrived today!!! Thanks Bonnie!!!!

Annie

• barefootgardner12
    13 years ago

Received my seeds. What a great selection. Thanks Bonnie! Great job!

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Glad to know so many of you have already received your seeds!

I hate to have to admit to making a boneheaded mistake, but here it is. Shanta's return label somehow didn't make it on her package, so Saturday it arrived back at my house : ( Sent it back on its way yesterday, so hopefully she'll receive it soon. Sorry, Shanta!

Jaynine, I believe August is supposed to be the color PURPLE, and should be hosted by Lindaruzicka. After that, I think you are on the schedule for the color BLACK in September. Does that sound right? Penny is doing an awesome job keeping track of it, so I'm sure she will send out a reminder to the host soon.

Hope everyone is happy with their selection!

Bonnie

• cybermeowz
    13 years ago

Hi Bonnie!

I just got my fantastic selection of red seeds today in the mail. Thanks so much! You picked out some great seeds for me and I received some seeds I've been wanting for a long time. Thanks again for hosting!

Also, there will definitely be an August Swap (Purple Seeds!!!) I just emailed Linda about the August swap, so I'll wait to hear back from her. But the thread should be posted in a few days. Just keep an eye out for it!!

Penny

• dem_pa
    13 years ago

I received my seeds today. Thanks for a great selection of seeds. I can still plant a few varieties. Thanks to all who shared their seeds and thanks to a great hostess.

Don

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    13 years ago

Received my seeds and am thrilled by the great selection. Thanks to all for sharing your seed and to Bonnie for hosting.

Suzanne

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just heard from our Canadian participant that her seeds have finally arrived!

Thank you to everyone that participated! I enjoyed hosting it, and hope everyone was pleased with what they received back.

So guess that's a wrap ...

Bonnie

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths